The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+19
TexasWedge
Be_the_ball
super_realist
Diggers
superflyweight
dynamark
JAS
I'm never wrong
NedB-H
pedro
navyblueshorts
Davie
kwinigolfer
westisbest
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
wiretapper
beninho
McLaren
23 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Sat 29 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Re Sterling, he’s got more PL assists than any English player in the last year, 3rd most of anyone. As well as a shedload of goals, what a poopie player he is!!
Could this be it for Jose, I certainly hope so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Fri 02 Nov 2018, 10:24 pm

I normally look up words in the dictionary.

It’s dilluting the real meaning of the word and diverting attention from real racism. Discriminating against an Irishman, a carholic or a black man are three entirely different things imo.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Sat 03 Nov 2018, 9:27 am

Surely it’s utterly dependant on how the discrimination manifests itself. Ultimately if you get beaten up because you’re a catholic or because you’re black, the semantics of whether it’s a racial attack or not are pretty pathetic.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 03 Nov 2018, 9:54 am

beninho wrote:Look up the description of race in the equality act. Covers nationality. So someone can be discriminated against due to nationality which comes under race.

Ten pin bowling, snooker and darts come under the definition of sport, doesn't mean they are. If nationality and religion come under "racism" then why bother with terms like xenophobia or sectarianism?

There is no Irish race. Ireland, like virtually every other country in the world except perhaps North Korea is a collection of different races. If you want to call it "racism", fine, but it's a bit pathetic and demeaning to those who genuinely suffer racism every day for Lennon to claim this is actual racism, even if it does fall under some all encompassing "description" in the race equality act. He hasn't been beaten up, discriminated against or murdered, he's simply been called a few names. He plays the pantomime villain, so he should expect a bit of clog in return, although admittedly not a coin in his head, which in any even he doesn't know was due to anything other than being Neil Lennon, not like the coin came with a xenophobic or sectarian slogan on it.

As far as I can tell, no one has even been referring to Lennon's Northern Irish heritage, and it's all down to him being a divisive figure,  a hot head, aggressive, confrontational  and the fact he's Catholic, which is about as much to do with race as the size of his feet.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:10 am

I think different demographics will have very different definitions for many words, it’s very apparent that there is no set answer, only opinion of what it represents to you. I’m rapidly coming to agree with the phrase that opinion is the lowest form of knowledge.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

I have very little interest or care in Neill Lennon, though he did play once for the chairboys at the arse end of his career.  I'm just calling out the claim that nationality doesn't cone under race, when legally it does. A court case would uphold that, should someone be denied a job in nationality. Irish travellers are classed as a race of people, and have protected characteristics.

Anyway, if lennon has had a coin thrown at him, in no way is it his fault.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 03 Nov 2018, 11:11 am

I am partly with Super on this in that Lennon did not receive racist abuse. Sectarian maybe but not racist. Pathetic white on white squabbles in the middle of Edinburgh do not come close to any definition of racism I would recognise.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 03 Nov 2018, 2:27 pm

Diggers wrote:I think different demographics will have very different definitions for many words, it’s very apparent that there is no set answer, only opinion of what it represents to you. I’m rapidly coming to agree with the phrase that opinion is the lowest form of knowledge.

That's when we get down to the ridiculous level of personal "offence" then isn't it? People claiming that someone dressing up as a cowboy is offensive to them, or having a particular speaker at a university, or the lyrics to a song.

Lennon's "abuse" is distasteful, but people endure far far worse in general life than an ugly, aggressive ginger who lives in a privileged position ever has to endure.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 03 Nov 2018, 2:29 pm

beninho wrote:I have very little interest or care in Neill Lennon, though he did play once for the chairboys at the arse end of his career.  I'm just calling out the claim that nationality doesn't cone under race, when legally it does. A court case would uphold that, should someone be denied a job in nationality. Irish travellers are classed as a race of people, and have protected characteristics.

Anyway, if lennon has had a coin thrown at him, in no way is it his fault.

I didn't say it was Lennon's fault he had a coin thrown at him, but it doesn't make it a racist or sectarian assault either, he has no basis for claiming that that particular assault was based on anything, and no court in the land would attach racism or sectarianism to that particular action.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 03 Nov 2018, 2:38 pm

And people probably suffer minor racism but never get physically assaulted. Which is worse...fact is that’s an impossible question. People are not exactly the same, what offends one may not offend another. I think the fact that you are utterly devoid of empathy stops you seeing that.
Only last week you were banging on about ignoring wealth and privilege, how it had no bearing how a situation should be perceived. Yet here you are, talking about how a privileged person shouldn’t be afforded the same consideration as others.
I await your usual tedious, blinkered, oft repeated, “Thats completely different...” excuse.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 03 Nov 2018, 3:04 pm

I've got plenty of empathy, I just don't see this as a racist action as there is nothing to even suggest it is motivated by that.

I'm not saying that his privileged position shouldn't be afforded the treatment same as others, I'm talking about how his skewed view of the position is being directly conflated to what racism actually is, and it's much worse than what Lennon has been exposed to recently.

Being called a fenian, taig or whatever is nothing more than a childish insult associated with the most backward element of the UK/NI, namely the West Coast of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Lennon should probably actually read some history before making such absurd comparisons. If what he has "endured" is as bad as he claims, he's got off pretty lightly compared to what some people have in their lives.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 03 Nov 2018, 3:27 pm

Why do you think you have empathy? Is this like the charisma thing, that you really don’t understand what the word means?
The rest of your email demonstrates precisely why you don’t have any.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 04 Nov 2018, 10:42 am

So possible plans on place to reduce tuition fees, but increase them for courses such as medicine and engineering. Because it’s not like we need more doctors, it’s not like junior doctors are already dropping out because of working hours. It’s not like we don’t have enough people looking to follow STEM careers. FFS, muppets.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:56 am

Sympathy, maybe. Empathy, no. Not unless someone has been subjected to/suffered the self-same thing as whomever.
Anyone who says they empathise with someone, but hasn't experienced the same issues, is usually talking twaddle.

Moving on...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:57 am

Diggers wrote:So possible plans on place to reduce tuition fees, but increase them for courses such as medicine and engineering. Because it’s not like we need more doctors, it’s not like junior doctors are already dropping out because of working hours. It’s not like we don’t have enough people looking to follow STEM careers. FFS, muppets.
Fair point. Someone has to pay though Digs. Whom do you suggest?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2018, 10:30 am

Diggers wrote:Why do you think you have empathy? Is this like the charisma thing, that you really don’t understand what the word means?
The rest of your email demonstrates precisely why you don’t have any.

I have empathy/sympathy for plenty of people and plenty of situations, it doesn't necessarily extend to vicious, nasty ginger headed catholic northern Irishmen crying wolf over racism.

The rest of my email? What email?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:12 pm

Super

I will address the pin chat here so we don't derail kwini's thread.

I didn't think anyone would care about the details of my pin removal but here you are. From distance we don't usually take the pin out. If someone gets close enough to hold/take out the pin before the others they will often do so. If someone has a short'ish putt for a birdie or better then as deference to this the pin might be lifted out the hole. We just tend to play pretty casual rules on the green where people play whenever they are ready regardless of where everyone else is and no one worries about taking the pin out. I doubt this is a particularly unique or novel way to go about it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:27 pm

You claimed you wouldn't want to play behind a group that removed a flag. Why not? Surely you've spent most of your life doing that given that it's a golfing NORM.

How busy do you think you are that you can't wait for a group in front to take a pin out? It's just a non argument. In terms of time spent, there's many things which cause significant slow play, and taking the pin out simply isn't one of them.

I don't always take out the pin either, if for example I'm out on my own and maybe playing  2 or 3 balls, or in a game if the match is over, I just can't see why you would have an objection to any other group doing it as a matter of course. Surely playing behind a group where people lining up and holing out  2 foot putts rather than simply picking up is more annoying?

I've nothing against you and your group not taking the pin out, I simply can't see why it would bother you that the group in front would do so.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:35 pm

I always walk down and the take the pin out before my tee shot on par 3s.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:38 pm

Super

It was a dumb frivolous comment that has somehow completely triggered you. As long as the 606'ers in front weren't lining up putts like a spoon I would happily follow them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:40 pm

pedro wrote:I always walk down and the take the pin out before my tee shot on par 3s.

In competitions I used to scope out the lie of the green and its immediate surround on long pitch shots. If I was within about 80 yards I would walk up to the green and check out how the ball would brake. If nothing else it got under the skin of opponents in match play.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 05 Nov 2018, 1:41 pm

PS, didn't phil get bones to tend the pin from miles out one time?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

It was a dumb frivolous comment that has somehow completely triggered you. As long as the 606'ers in front weren't lining up putts like a spoon I would happily follow them.

No Mac, it just seemed an absurd thing for the group in front of you to be doing that would somehow affect your game. Glad you admitted that you were being silly about it though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:12 pm

McLaren wrote:
pedro wrote:I always walk down and the take the pin out before my tee shot on par 3s.

In competitions I used to scope out the lie of the green and its immediate surround on long pitch shots.  If I was within about 80 yards I would walk up to the green and check out how the ball would brake.  If nothing else it got under the skin of opponents in match play.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:47 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:

In competitions I used to scope out the lie of the green and its immediate surround on long pitch shots.  If I was within about 80 yards I would walk up to the green and check out how the ball would brake.  If nothing else it got under the skin of opponents in match play.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
My ball would always brake and roll back in the lake.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:47 pm

McLaren wrote:

Harrington used to do that.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:49 pm

McLaren wrote:PS, didn't phil get bones to tend the pin from miles out one time?
Yes. I think it was at Torrey a few years ago where Phil had the chance to get in a playoff if he holed his approach from the other side of the lake.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2018, 3:49 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:So possible plans on place to reduce tuition fees, but increase them for courses such as medicine and engineering. Because it’s not like we need more doctors, it’s not like junior doctors are already dropping out because of working hours. It’s not like we don’t have enough people looking to follow STEM careers. FFS, muppets.

Taxation.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 05 Nov 2018, 5:05 pm

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Maybe a special #Brexit tax, anyone who voted for it (and they were predominantly old) can pay an extra tax so that the young people they screwed over at least have some decent education to look forward to.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2018, 5:17 pm

McLaren wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Maybe a special #Brexit tax, anyone who voted for it (and they were predominantly old) can pay an extra tax so that the young people they screwed over at least have some decent education to look forward to.

Surprised you don't want to tax the Doctors Mac, seeing as you seem against anyone impudent enough to make a decent living.

Maybe tax hipsters for their overuse of avocado and those millennials who won't stop moaning about how "tough" their lives are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 05 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.
That's fine and I'd agree, but it's something there's never been a conversation about. The politicians aren't capable of explaining it to the public. In addition, the public are way too "What's in it for me?" these days. Can't see them wearing it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2018, 6:00 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.
That's fine and I'd agree, but it's something there's never been a conversation about. The politicians aren't capable of explaining it to the public. In addition, the public are way too "What's in it for me?" these days. Can't see them wearing it.

I dread to think the strain Scotland puts on the NHS. Free prescriptions and free eye tests in the unhealthiest population in the UK

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:57 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Well, it’s all laid out in the Labour manifesto. Mind you, I’ve little faith there these days. What is increasingly apparent is that Govts can whip out billions here and there when needed, either when they realise they’ve screeed up (universal credit) or to appease people (NHS investment). The idea of a rigid budget, any attempt to stick to a borrowing plan, just doesn’t really exist.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 05 Nov 2018, 8:35 pm

Hey ho, a budget is just a budget. If we over-spend we just borrow from the Saudis...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Nov 2018, 7:51 am

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Well, it’s all laid out in the Labour manifesto. Mind you, I’ve little faith there these days. What is increasingly apparent is that Govts can whip out billions here and there when needed, either when they realise they’ve screeed up (universal credit) or to appease people (NHS investment). The idea of a rigid budget, any attempt to stick to a borrowing plan, just doesn’t really exist.

John McDonald? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Labour budgets are a bit like a Lib Dem budget. They can say what they want safe in the knowledge they'll never be in a position when they have to implement it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Nov 2018, 9:18 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Labour budgets are a bit like a Lib Dem budget. They can say what they want safe in the knowledge they'll never be in a position when they have to implement it.

Bit of a moronic comparison considering the relative support for each party and closeness in polling. A year before Cameron won his first election nobody gave the Tories a chance of power. Representative of your fixed mindset view on life, that nothing ever changes.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Nov 2018, 9:20 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Sympathy, maybe. Empathy, no. Not unless someone has been subjected to/suffered the self-same thing as whomever.
Anyone who says they empathise with someone, but hasn't experienced the same issues, is usually talking twaddle.

Moving on...

Not sure I fully agree, but let’s wrap it up in one word abd call it compassion. It’s still something that Android SR it clearly utterly devoid of.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Nov 2018, 9:26 am

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Sympathy, maybe. Empathy, no. Not unless someone has been subjected to/suffered the self-same thing as whomever.

Moving on...

Not sure I fully agree, but let’s  wrap it up in one word abd call it compassion. It’s still something that Android SR it clearly utterly devoid of.
Compassion is fine. Much better. Sorry, just me thinking that language actually matters, when clearly it doesn't these days: see 'lose' vs. 'loose' etc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Nov 2018, 10:22 am

That's just you're opinion.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 06 Nov 2018, 11:53 am

Moving on...

I agree that there is a difference between sympathy and empathy, and they can be confused / conflated. But you really don't have to suffer the same issues to empathise. We do have imaginations and the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:03 pm

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Bit of a moronic comparison considering the relative support for each party and closeness in polling. A year before Cameron won his first election nobody gave the Tories a chance of power. Representative of your fixed mindset view on life, that nothing ever changes.

Corbyn couldn't even beat the worst Tory Government for 3 generations, he wasn't even close, and peak Corbyn is already over. Furthermore, it seems he doesn't even want to be PM.
This is a man who'd like to take Britain back to 70's Britain, who sees Venezuela as a good model for a country, a man who meets with terrorists (which would be fine if he met the other side too, which he never did) who refuses to condemn anti Semitism in his party, and has expelled no one for it, a man who is anti business and anti initiative.

I don't believe Britain is stupid enough to vote for a Labour party with him in charge.

I'd be much happier to have a centre line government, I don't want a Left or a Right wing government.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:04 pm

McLaren wrote:That's just you're opinion.

Jesus Mac, go back to school.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:11 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Taxation.

Corbyn couldn't even beat the worst Tory Government for 3 generations, he wasn't even close, and peak Corbyn is already over. Furthermore, it seems he doesn't even want to be PM.
This is a man who'd like to take Britain back to 70's Britain, who sees Venezuela as a good model for a country, a man who meets with terrorists (which would be fine if he met the other side too, which he never did) who refuses to condemn anti Semitism in his party, and has expelled no one for it, a man who is anti business and anti initiative.

I don't believe Britain is stupid enough to vote for a Labour party with him in charge.

I'd be much happier to have a centre line government, I don't want a Left or a Right wing government.

As I said, fixed mindset.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:30 pm

Diggers, I wouldn't be against a Labour government per se, but a Labour government with Corbyn, the dreadful McDonald and Iddi Imin's stunt double, the fat ugly, stupid turd of Dianne Abbot in charge would probably be pretty disastrous.

It's not a "fixed" mindset to be against a Labour party led by Corbyn, it's common sense.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:44 pm

Fat, ugly, stupid turd. Just wow. Stay classy. Am I surprised realist has a hatred of a high profile black person for no real reason?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:53 pm

Super, don’t under-estimate the stupidity in Britain.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Nov 2018, 7:14 pm

super_realist wrote:Diggers, I wouldn't be against a Labour government per se, but a Labour government with Corbyn, the dreadful McDonald and Iddi Imin's stunt double, the fat ugly, stupid turd of Dianne Abbot in charge would probably be pretty disastrous.

It's not a "fixed" mindset to be against a Labour party led by Corbyn, it's common sense.

I’m not talking about your political viewpoint. I’m saying you’ve a fixed mindset on change full stop.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 06 Nov 2018, 7:52 pm

The Reds were not the Star tonight.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

Ben

Yes quite worrying that someone got banned for pointing out the obvious in that respect.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 06 Nov 2018, 8:19 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:That's just you're opinion.

Jesus Mac, go back to school.

I think you've just been trolled

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Nov 2018, 7:51 am

beninho wrote:Fat, ugly, stupid turd. Just wow. Stay classy. Am I surprised realist has a hatred of a high profile black person for no real reason?

"just wow" Are you on some sort of bad American sitcom?

For no real reason? Ha ha. She is probably the most inept, incompetent and worst orator in the history of cabinet politics. She is atrocious at her job, so much so that in the last election Labour attempted to hide her away and pretended she was unwell so that she didn't do any more harm to the Labour party. The likes of her and Corbyn are actually the best thing for Tory politics. Why can't Labour see through this?

Where did I say anything about her being black? I'm slagging off Corbyn too, probably more, yet funny how you overlook that and go looking for something you consider to be racist.

Can you not say anything about someone who is black without being accused of racism? Abbot is fat and ugly. That's not even up for debate, and she is a truly terrible cabinet member and a constant embarrassment to the party. She might be a decent MP for her constituents, but that's it. It's hard to imagine anyone in British politics as bad as Sarah Palin, but Abbott comes incredibly close.

Mac, for your information, no one got banned for inferring I was racist, seeing as you think I am though, please point out what is racist about anything I've ever said. You can't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next