The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+17
Collapse2005
westisbest
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
Eyetoldyouso
kwinigolfer
pedro
beninho
dynamark
Davie
JAS
navyblueshorts
McLaren
Diggers
super_realist
21 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Dec 2018, 8:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Diggers wrote:On another note I’ve been teaching Spanish as part of my job this year, tricky when I don’t speak a word...or didn’t. Been using Duolingo for 3 weeks, still very early but amazing how quickly it helps you pick things up. Also asked the wife for some CD’s for Xmas to listen to on my commute. There is a Spanish guy who works for the premises team so when I feel a bit more confident Ill try some conversational Spanish with him.
Anyway, early but that’s my new year resolution, to follow it through and at least be competent, partly to help with my job and partly because Uve always wanted to learn a language, partly because I really think learning new stuff keeps your brain fresher.
Anyone else have something they really want to learn to do?

I'm not trying to be confrontational here Diggers, but how on earth can a school let someone without the skills in a subject to teach it? I can see how someone could blag teaching something like art, PE, English etc, but not a language. I suppose if it's at Primary Level you could teach counting to ten, asking where the railway station is etc.
I presume it's not secondary school?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Feb 2019, 2:11 pm

Big difference w/Sarri is that he never seemed to find the dressing room.
Must be 50/50 he'll be out within the month. (Week?)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 11 Feb 2019, 2:30 pm

Davie wrote:Hmm Chelsea....

Mourinho lost the dressing room.... Conte lost the dressing room. Sarri seems to have lost the dressing room...

Anyone see the common link here?

Lack of clear signage to the dressing rooms?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Feb 2019, 2:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

I'd love to see an analysis of performance by foreign management teams in the Premier League over the past decade or so

This might be a little bit of a glib response but;

EPL titles by nationality of Manager

Scottish 14
Italian 4
French 3
Portuguese 3
Spanish 1
Chilean 1
English 0

Maybe if Bobby Robson had been given one of the top 4 jobs at some point he could have done it but has there been another English manager over the PL era that should or could have been given the chance at a club capable of winning the title?

(And here are the openings that I think existed for alternative English managers to win the league.
Englsih manager instead of Wenger 1996
Could someone other than David O'leary propelled Leeds to the title around 2000/2001, although Venebles didn't cover himself in glory just after this
English Manager instead of Ranieri or Jose at chelsea
someone English instead of Rogers at liverpool, bearing in mind Roy had already effed it up
Someone English at Man City post the Abu Dhabi takeover

Don't think any English manager was around at the time to replicate what Rafa did during his successful spell with Liverpool)

Also not sure "Puel is a disaster".  Leicester should still be happy with any season where the avoid a relegation battle.  I don't think their current set of midfielders are any better than say Palace, West ham, Wolves, Bournemoth or even Everton.[/quote]

Last edited by McLaren on Mon 11 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Feb 2019, 2:33 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:

Mourinho lost the dressing room.... Conte lost the dressing room. Sarri seems to have lost the dressing room...

Genuine question but do you mean the link is the players or the owner?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:

Laugh drumroll Very good Roller.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 11 Feb 2019, 3:55 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:

Post of the year thus far

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:15 pm

McLaren wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:

I'd love to see an analysis of performance by foreign management teams in the Premier League over the past decade or so

This might be a little bit of a glib response but;

EPL titles by nationality of Manager

Scottish 14
Italian 4
French 3
Portuguese 3
Spanish 1
Chilean 1
English 0

Maybe if Bobby Robson had been given one of the top 4 jobs at some point he could have done it but has there been another English manager over the PL era that should or could have been given the chance at a club capable of winning the title?

(And here are the openings that I think existed for alternative English managers to win the league.
Englsih manager instead of Wenger 1996
Could someone other than David O'leary propelled Leeds to the title around 2000/2001, although Venebles didn't cover himself in glory just after this
English Manager instead of Ranieri or Jose at chelsea
someone English instead of Rogers at liverpool, bearing in mind Roy had already effed it up
Someone English at Man City post the Abu Dhabi takeover

Don't think any English manager was around at the time to replicate what Rafa did during his successful spell with Liverpool)

Also not sure "Puel is a disaster".  Leicester should still be happy with any season where the avoid a relegation battle.  I don't think their current set of midfielders are any better than say Palace, West ham, Wolves, Bournemoth or even Everton.
[/quote]

Can't see it Mac, English managers have largely been brought in to fight relegation. Curbishly, Fat Sam, Woy, Pardew, "Triffic" Redknapp etc

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
JAS wrote:...Meanwhile at the Bridge, is Sarri’s jacket on a shaky peg?? I do hate the “here today gone tomorrow after a bad result” attitude driven by instant results and monitisation which is now prevalent in the Premiership but given that’s now where the EPL is at and it’s an attitude that Abramovich doesn’t seem to have an issue embracing. I’m thinking it’s only a matter of time.

I'd love to see an analysis of performance by foreign management teams in the Premier League over the past decade or so. At least as measured against GB&I managers in the same circumstances.
Sarri doesn't seem to have a clue, players out of position, not working together, not seeming to give a toss. Just a continuation of the second half vs Bournemouth.
The players he's brought in haven't improved the squad (tho Higuain might) and the goalie's terrible.
The bloke at Everton not doing much better and Puel is a disaster.  These management teams seem to come with squads of hangers on and bottle washers, must cost a mint to be hiring them and firing them all within a year. Can't tell me that GB&I staffs couldn't do better than most of the mercenaries.
Having said which, love to see Chelsea go down the drain.  
You do realise that a home grown Manager has never won the Premiership Kwini, the way the world is going is one of short term expensive foreign failures. But that’s ok, Sky money and oligarch money facilitates the merry go round.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:33 pm

I DID say GB&I . . . . . . .

But now, if only 20% are GB&I, and all at yo-yo clubs, it's hardly surprising.
Trouble is, GB&I coaches are hardly getting any jobs either, not surprising we're not breeding managers.
Self-fulfilling and all that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:04 pm

Mac you are probably correct re Leicester but we now have higher expectations having done the job with a bunch of misfits and a couple of outstanding players the question is why not say 7/8 th having spent some serious dosh.The likes of Kante,Mahrez and Vardy on it at together was unreal.
Look at Mahrez now( and Drinky at Chelsea)bench warming at Man City plays a few cup games and maybe 10 minutes here and there.He will not be a happy boy because he loves to play big games and be on the stage as it were.
Well done Phil MIck and Casey (no doubt having fun)

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:30 am

400k a week for Ramsey. Not bad for a lad who, IMO, has never really fulfilled his potential, though injury hasn’t helped.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

Fair play to Amber Rudd for admitting the obvious, Universal Credit is badly flawed, needs reforming and has forced people into poverty. At least she is actually trying to fix it. I've a fair bit of time for Rudd as a politician, she has a good sense of humour as well. Was completely hung out to dry by May during the GE TV debates, pretty disgusting considering her father had died the day before. Clearly issues at the Home Office, again not too sure whether she was more of a scapegoat but definitely made a few bad choices. I could certainly live with her as a Tory leader, a lot more palatable than some of the morons who could be up for the job.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:34 am

Probably the nicest thing you've ever said Diggers. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:50 am

kwinigolfer wrote:I DID say GB&I . . . . . . .

But now, if only 20% are GB&I, and all at yo-yo clubs, it's hardly surprising.
Trouble is, GB&I coaches are hardly getting any jobs either, not surprising we're not breeding managers.
Self-fulfilling and all that.

Ah! Never picked up on the subtlety Kwini, although take Fergie & to a lesser extent Dalglish out the equation and point is then true for GB & I. Think you can almost certainly rule out any further Jock managers coming down and having a great impact. In days gone by there was never the huge gulf that there is now. When Fergie went to Man U, winning the SPL and a European Trophy was recognised as a good achievement and a good indicator of managerial potential. Nowadays, winning the SPL would be an indicator of managerial potential for maybe a league 1 side and a Jock club winning a European trophy would be sheer fantasy. The post war trend of the great managers from the working class background with a strong work ethic (Shankly, Busby, Stein, Ferguson) is now gone forever.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 12 Feb 2019, 9:02 am

Diggers wrote:Fair play to Amber Rudd for admitting the obvious, Universal Credit is badly flawed, needs reforming and has forced people into poverty. At least she is actually trying to fix it. I've a fair bit of time for Rudd as a politician, she has a good sense of humour as well. Was completely hung out to dry by May during the GE TV debates, pretty disgusting considering her father had died the day before. Clearly issues at the Home Office, again not too sure whether she was more of a scapegoat but definitely made a few bad choices. I could certainly live with her as a Tory leader, a lot more palatable than some of the morons who could be up for the job.

Definitely get the impression she’s trying to build up a head of steam for a post-May leadership bid. I don’t like any Tory if I’m honest but if we’re (collectively) stupid enough to vote them in again she’s probably the most palatable option as leader, gawd can you imagine the utter calamity of a Bojo Premiership? Or a trip back to 19th century Dickensianism with Mogg. Thinking of those 2 makes Rudd look like a shoe-in for the next Tory leader.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Feb 2019, 10:25 am

JAS wrote:
Diggers wrote:Fair play to Amber Rudd for admitting the obvious, Universal Credit is badly flawed, needs reforming and has forced people into poverty. At least she is actually trying to fix it. I've a fair bit of time for Rudd as a politician, she has a good sense of humour as well. Was completely hung out to dry by May during the GE TV debates, pretty disgusting considering her father had died the day before. Clearly issues at the Home Office, again not too sure whether she was more of a scapegoat but definitely made a few bad choices. I could certainly live with her as a Tory leader, a lot more palatable than some of the morons who could be up for the job.

Definitely get the impression she’s trying to build up a head of steam for a post-May leadership bid. I don’t like any Tory if I’m honest but if we’re (collectively) stupid enough to vote them in again she’s probably the most palatable option as leader, gawd can you imagine the utter calamity of a Bojo Premiership? Or a trip back to 19th century Dickensianism with Mogg. Thinking of those 2 makes Rudd look like a shoe-in for the next Tory leader.
If only that were the case. Don’t underestimate the idiocy that is British politics at the moment.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 12 Feb 2019, 11:53 am

Rudd does look credible actually.Amber Herd I would certainly vote for.
I regularily pass a food bank sort of place in Loughborough queue outside and everyone (almost )smokes now I'm told cigs are £10 a packet of 20 which is comfortably enough to feed two persons for a day.If you are receiving the usual benefit(and I get UC has had some issues all easily fixable by the way)no excuse for using a food charity except for the fact that they exist.
Plenty of jobs about if you pitch up clean and smart and can communicate you are hired.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:07 pm

dynamark wrote:Rudd does look credible actually.Amber Herd I would certainly vote for.
I regularily pass a food bank sort of place in Loughborough queue outside and everyone (almost )smokes now I'm told cigs are £10 a  packet of 20 which is comfortably enough to feed two persons for a day.If you are receiving the usual benefit(and I get UC has had some issues all easily fixable by the way)no excuse for using a food charity except for the fact that they exist.
Plenty of jobs about if you pitch up clean and smart and can communicate you are hired.

If they are so "easily" fixable, why haven't they been fixed? This isn't a new policy anymore, if they are so easily fixed then surely that shows the utter incompetence of the people who haven't fixed them?
Plenty of jobs: that don't pay a living wage, that don't cater for huge childcare costs, that don't often provide set working hours or any kind of sick pay. I'm surprised you haven't mentioned workhouses as being a sad loss to society.

Last edited by Diggers on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:14 pm

Sad to see Gordon Banks has finally been beaten.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:13 pm

David De Gea makes about four saves per game as good if not better than Banks supposedly greatest save.

I know she wasn't the architect of deporting "windrush" people but Rudd was at the helm when it happened. Ignorance is never a defense and she must have been pretty ignorant to let it go ahead.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:28 pm

McLaren wrote:David De Gea makes about four saves per game as good if not better than Banks supposedly greatest save.  

Mac,
That is about the most dumbf*ck thing you've posted, (though plenty of competition).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:55 pm

Times change, keepers are bigger and more athletic now, they do make some shocking decisions though. Banks was undeniably a world class goalkeeper, probably the best around in his peak.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:56 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
McLaren wrote:David De Gea makes about four saves per game as good if not better than Banks supposedly greatest save.  

Mac,
That is about the most dumbf*ck thing you've posted, (though plenty of competition).
He’s got to be WUMming, hasn’t he? Even if he is, I’m with you on your sentiment Kwini.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:57 pm

Diggers wrote:Times change, keepers are bigger and more athletic now, they do make some shocking decisions though. Banks was undeniably a world class goalkeeper, probably the best around in his peak.
That’s a good point re. decision making. The modern keepers are some of the worst I’ve ever seen, and whomever championed the current vogue of refusing to catch the ball, but’s happy to see it ‘punched’ back into danger, needs to be strung up.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:58 pm

McLaren wrote:David De Gea makes about four saves per game as good if not better than Banks supposedly greatest save...
Is that because the rest of the side is so schidt Mac?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 3:31 pm

A sad day for the board when some gentle ribbing is called wumming.  boxing

Although De Gea has probably racked up quite a few saves better than that over the last 4 years.

Navy

And yes probably because some of the team were terrible.  Without De Gea things could have been really embarrassing for Utd.

On modern keepers, I disagree about the quality of decision making having declined.  The type of decision modern keepers have to make didn't exist for keepers of yesteryear. Remember when Schmeichel throwing it out to start a counter attack was lauded as something separating him from other keepers.  Now a keeper has to pick the correct pass to get the right type of attack going and to control the tempo of the team.  Being a shot stopper is only a part of the modern keepers role.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 12 Feb 2019, 4:13 pm

McLaren wrote:A sad day for the board when some gentle ribbing is called wumming.  boxing

Although De Gea has probably racked up quite a few saves better than that over the last 4 years.

Navy

And yes probably because some of the team were terrible.  Without De Gea things could have been really embarrassing for Utd.

On modern keepers, I disagree about the quality of decision making having declined.  The type of decision modern keepers have to make didn't exist for keepers of yesteryear. Remember when Schmeichel throwing it out to start a counter attack was lauded as something separating him from other keepers.  Now a keeper has to pick the correct pass to get the right type of attack going and to control the tempo of the team.  Being a shot stopper is only a part of the modern keepers role.

It’s not a sad day for the board at all, whether it’s wumming...or more likely attention seeking (by trying to belittle the reputation of one of the greats of the game), you’ve been pulled up on it. The guys got a World Cup winners medal. Just because it all happened before you were born doesn’t make it any less so. Honestly Mac sometimes you can be a right Tool!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

JAS wrote:The guys got a World Cup winners medal

So does Kleberson, what's your point?

Doesn't change the fact that Bank's save isn't all that exceptional.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 4:24 pm

JAS wrote:you’ve been pulled up on it.

And WTF is this nonsense. "pulled up on it", what like one of you is the ref or bobby on the beat clamping down on niggling fouls or minor infractions. What an utterly laughable concept that you see yourself or others in such a way. This literally had me laughing out load. "pulled up on it". what a mess.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:01 pm

JAS wrote:

Saw a headline today that the Tory government would win a majority if an election was held now. How can the Labour party think holding on to Corbyn, who was exposed even further as a knob today is capable of getting them into power?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:02 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngE9RCAdWaE

Banks save, against Pele in a world cup.

Find me a better one by De Gea please.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:05 pm

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:The guys got a World Cup winners medal

So does Kleberson, what's your point?

Doesn't change the fact that Bank's save isn't all that exceptional.

There's a lot worse than Kleberson with a World Cup medal. Stephan Guivarch for one, Simone Barone another.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:08 pm

Mac you are simply wrong. Just think of this. How many people are talking about any of the saves modern keepers are making (none) yet we still talk about a save made nearly 50 years ago. That gives some idea of the quality. End of.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:21 pm

Probably relative INW. Probably the English like to talk about Banks save, but I'm sure every country has a keeper who has made a similarly good save over time that they like to eulogise about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:30 pm

Guivarch who scored 115 in 210 appearances in france before the 98 world cup? Yeah, he was awful...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:34 pm

beninho wrote:Guivarch who scored 115 in 210 appearances in france before the 98 world cup? Yeah, he was awful...

Was awful for France, which is what mattered.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:35 pm

INW

See supers post.

Ben

Go to YouTube and search de gea. :OK:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:39 pm

Super

Not sure Guivarc'h was that bad. Did he get a goal at WC98? Giroud failed to get one last summer, in fact wasn't it the case that he didn't have a shot at goal?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:41 pm

Mclaren rees mogg. Makes a statement but can't back it up

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

Mac,
Banks may be measured by the You Tube generation by one spectacular save.
But his peers measure him by his consistency, leadership and durability. Plus he was a 6-time member of the annual FIFA voting - and that certainly wasn't due to one save, in fact most of those years were before summer 1970.

You, moronically, brought up one save, certainly a memorable highlight - my judgement is his being among the best thru'out a distinguished career. No more, no less. Just saying . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

Wasn't Giroud in the team to create space, hold up the ball and bully defenders, while a goal would have been nice, it wasn't his main priority.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:55 pm

Kwini

As super points out it was a decent enough save but the English banging on about it as the best ever is worthy of ridicule.

I reckon you are probably correct that he was a great keeper but one save, as you say, has nothing to do with that.

Ben

I could easily put a link to "de geas 50 best saves". Would it satisfy anyone?

Also on Giroud, a shot on goal would have been nice. A bit embarrassing for a striker not to at least manage that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:02 pm

Ypur claim was that de gea had made saves better then the pele save. If thats the claim pick.one out. Otherwise your just chatting bullsht. Im curious to see what you can dig out.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:07 pm

That's generous of you, Mac.
6 times voted as best in the world and he was "probably a great keeper".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:18 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

As super points out it was a decent enough save but the English banging on about it as the best ever is worthy of ridicule.

Not half the ridicule that could be aimed at Jock goalkeepers over the years. Bitter Jock WUMMING again

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Feb 2019, 8:27 pm

Davie

I think we all know Jim Leighton had even more great saves than either Banks or De Gea.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 13 Feb 2019, 8:00 am

Davie wrote:

Not half the ridicule that could be aimed at Jock goalkeepers over the years. Bitter Jock WUMMING again

Not bitter at all, as you should know I have no pride in being Scottish or being from Scotland, the point is that the English seem to have this opinion that if they  see someone as being great, then it must mean that everyone else thinks they are great. It's not the case.

Banks was indeed a fantastic keeper with a distinguished career, but I doubt you would find such sycophantic talk of him if you actually went around the world. I'm sure they'd respect him, but they won't be tossing off about him like you lot are, just as the English aren't fellating the great foreign keepers over the years.  You need to get a sense of perspective and not add the Jeremy Clarkson "...…..in the world" statement on the end of every bit of praise. I don't see you waxing so lyrical about Lev Yashin, Zoff, Neuer, Casillas, Jennings, Zubizerreta etc.

Rest in peace and all that, but people really do tend to go over the top when someone dies. I sincerely doubt that any of you can remember Banks playing and up until his death I would wager none of you spent any time getting all dewey eyed over his career.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 13 Feb 2019, 8:44 am

super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:

Not bitter at all, as you should know I have no pride in being Scottish or being from Scotland, the point is that the English seem to have this opinion that if they  see someone as being great, then it must mean that everyone else thinks they are great. It's not the case.

Banks was indeed a fantastic keeper with a distinguished career, but I doubt you would find such sycophantic talk of him if you actually went around the world. I'm sure they'd respect him, but they won't be tossing off about him like you lot are, just as the English aren't fellating the great foreign keepers over the years.  You need to get a sense of perspective and not add the Jeremy Clarkson "...…..in the world" statement on the end of every bit of praise. I don't see you waxing so lyrical about Lev Yashin, Zoff, Neuer, Casillas, Jennings, Zubizerreta etc.

Rest in peace and all that, but people really do tend to go over the top when someone dies. I sincerely doubt that any of you can remember Banks playing and up until his death I would wager none of you spent any time getting all dewey eyed over his career.
Laugh No-one's going OTT about Banks, in general, other than saying he was a great keeper. There was no comparison with anyone else, and I don't include Mac's absurd comment re. De Gea as worthy of a comparison. This started out as comment on that single Mexico '70 save from Pele. Nothing more. If you and McLaren can't see it for what it is, that's probably more a reflection on the pair of you than anyone else.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Feb 2019, 8:46 am

It's not all about you Super - in case you missed it, my comment was aimed at McLaren.

And you may be speaking generally, but personally I'm old enough to have great respect for the likes of Yashin, Zoff and Jennings. It's just they didn't die yesterday

Even Banks himself acknowledged Lev Yashin as the greatest keeper ever

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Feb 2019, 11:26 am

supes,
I saw Banks a few times. So I can certainly remember him playing.

All I'm saying is: 6 times voted onto FIFA Team of the Year, mostly before summer 1970, is testament to a great player.
Would also agree that every goalie of that 50's / 60's / 70's era looked at Yashin in awe.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next