The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2019

+22
Oioi
EdWoodjr
kemet
Atila
88Chris05
theslosty
Good Golly I'm Olly
Henman Bill
Galted
bradman99.94
Calder106
lags72
laverfan
dummy_half
Nathaniel Jacobs
Duty281
LKII
CaledonianCraig
JuliusHMarx
MrInvisible
No name Bertie
sirfredperry
26 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Wimbledon 2019 - Page 6 Empty Wimbledon 2019

Post by sirfredperry Sat 29 Jun 2019, 10:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Fair weather, at least for the first few days, beckons at Wimbledon. There's a roof on number one court, which is excellent news for those with tickets for that court and for the organisers if the rain arrives.

Djoko is my favourite for the title followed by Federer. Rafa has a difficult draw but how often have we seen tricky draws work out simply due to the fact that projected opponents fall by the wayside.

Difficult to make a case out for anyone outside the top three having a good run. Last year Anderson and Isner made the semis but have not played much this season. Not sure Tsitsipas or Thiem really have the game for grass.

Predicting a women's champion is far from straightforward. Barty is the new number one and with that terrific BH slice could do extremely well. Kerber looked very good in beating Halep at Eastbourne and Pliskova has a chance, although her Wimbledon record is woeful.

You can never rule out Serena and, as I said before the French, practically all the top players have a chance. Intriguing first-round match between Coco Gauff (aged 15) and Venus (aged 39).

This year sees a tiebreak kick in at 12-12 in the final set. It just remains to be seen just how much talk the BBC come up with before showing any action when they start the programmes. Thank God for the red button.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2019 - Page 6 Empty Re: Wimbledon 2019

Post by Henman Bill Wed 10 Jul 2019, 6:16 pm

Galted wrote:There hasn't been one yet.  It will get it's own article on the BBC site when it finally happens, plus the obligatory plaque presentation from Sue Barker.

Ugh let's hope not. I am still slightly annoyed about the John Inverdale interview at the Isner-Mahut match.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Jul 2019, 6:59 pm

Nadal v Federer SF

The tournament finally starts

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 10 Jul 2019, 7:46 pm

Rafa-Rog at Wimbledon for the first time since their epic, late-night thriller 11 years ago.

I'd make Rafa slight favourite although you could make a good case out for Rog winning too. There'll be endless hype about this one and it's going to be difficult for the match to live up to its billing.

No doubt Djoko will be hoping for a long five-setter so that he's the fitter guy for the final (I'm assuming that RBA won't be too much of a prob for Nole).

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 10 Jul 2019, 8:17 pm

Novak Djokovic vs Roberto Bautista Agut
Two most recent head to heads:
2019 Miami Masters (R16) Hard: Bautista Agut beats Novak Djokovic: 1-6 7-5 6-3
2019 Doha (SF) Hard: .............  Bautista Agut beats Novak Djokovic: 3-6 7-6 6-4

Rafael Nadal vs Roger Federer
Most recent head to heads excluding Roland Garros:
2019  Indian Wells Hard SF: .. Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal: walkover  
2017  Shanghai Hard F: ........ Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal: 64 63  
2017  Miami Hard F: ............. Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal: 63 64  
2017  Indian Wells Hard R16:  Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal: 62 63  
2017  Australian Open Hard F: Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal: 64 36 61 36 63  
2015  Basel Hard F: .............. Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal: 63 57 63  

Hence there is a very strong argument that this will be a Bautista Agut vs Federer final.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 10 Jul 2019, 8:28 pm

If RBA can produce some magic on Friday ..... then maybe ...... just maybe ..... we will see a shock. Very unlikely .... a Wimbledon SF is totally unfamiliar territory for him, but at least he goes into it with the comfort of having scored three ATP wins over Novak (two of them this season as detailed by NnB, thanks)

Wasn’t hugely impressed with Fed today. Sure, he was good in parts and clearly turned things around well after Nishi’s fast, aggressive start. But Nishi’s level dropped alarmingly and there were LOTS of needless errors flowing from the Fed racquet. I’m very much of the view that he would need to perform waay better than today to get past a very determined and on-song Rafa. I suspect Rafa will want to drag Fed into long rallies with intent to negating Fed’s current-day favoured tactics of short points, whilst wearing him down.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 10 Jul 2019, 8:38 pm

@ NnB : but why exclude RG .... ??
It’s that very result, his most recent, convincing win over the Fed, that will give Rafa so much confidence going into this clash.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 10 Jul 2019, 8:42 pm

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic seem capable of peaking for the grand slams and have extensive experience in negotiating the seven rounds needed to get to finals.  

Hence because of that we expect Djokovic to get past RBA and reach the finals.

With Federer vs Nadal:
- Federer has beaten Nadal consistently (off clay) recently
- Nadal post 2012 seems to be a much more vulnerable creature on grass.
- But Nadal for Wimbledon 2017 and 2018 was only beaten in marathon five setters (in 4R against Gilles Muller in 2017 and in the SF against Novak Djokovic) suggesting he has adapted his grass court game such that he is playing injury free but with partly worn out knees.
- Federer is getting older and so each year is less able to handle gruelling tournament tennis
- Overall if the court is dry I will favour Nadal, but if the court is slightly damp I will favour Federer (because of Federers better movement on grass).

ps to Lags - I was sort of playing a devils advocate to me feeling this would be a Nadal vs Djokovic final.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 10 Jul 2019, 9:10 pm

Just caught up with the Fed match on a recording. Agree that Fed was short of his best apart from a terrific burst in the second set which got him into the match.

He will certainly need to be at his best to have a chance against Rafa. Indeed, he could play really well and still lose. Rog said in his immediate post-match interview that he would play attacking, grass-court tennis and if Rafa could defend against that then good for him.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 8:46 am

Women's semis today. I'd like to think Strycova will make something of a match of it against Serena but fear it will be all over fairly quickly.

The other semi OUGHT to be a lot closer. Halep can be outhit in matches but she is such a fighter that she can beat the best of them. She's also far more used to playing big, latter-stage matches at GS than Svitolina.

Whatever the results, Barty will stay number one for now. By the end of Sunday we will have a better idea just who could be men's year-end number one, with all of the big three in with a chance.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:55 am

The legend that is Rod Laver takes a casual stroll around Wimbledon ..... bumping into some tennis celebs, both past & present, along the way.

Fabulous stuff Wink Wink Wink

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVa36Ea39E

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 1:19 pm

Well, we could be in for a long afternoon if the first - very long - game of the Halep semi is anything to go by.

Hopefully Svitolina will start hitting harder soon. Halep's second serve is nothing to write home about.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 11 Jul 2019, 1:22 pm

What are the chances of Serena Williams and Roger Federer dancing together at the 2019 Wimbledon Champions Ball?  And will it be confused for a Geriatrics Swingers Party*?  

*Supporting argument: both Serena and Roger are a month or two shy of being 38 - which corresponds in modern professional sports parlance to geriatric territory.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Thu 11 Jul 2019, 1:49 pm

Halep off to a 5-1 lead in 1st set. I reckon we could have a couple of quick womens' semi-finals and a rather anti-climatic day today, but hopefully followed by a blockbuster Serena v Halep final on Saturday.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 1:55 pm

Three long games in that first set and some quick ones in between. Some signs towards the end of the set that Svitolina was prepared to start going for it.

She's not going to beat Halep by playing defensively from the back of the court. You don't really outrally Halep. She's prepared to run all day.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 11 Jul 2019, 2:27 pm

Halep beats Svitolina 6-1 6-3, Halep totally outclassed and essentially overpowered Ukrainian

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 2:43 pm

I know Svitolina has had some injuries this year. She looks as if she should slim down a bit.

But really, this was a pretty poor show from a top 10 player in a GS semi. Yes, she chased down everything, but she played almost a totally defensive game. Time and again she went cross court so that Halep knew exactly where the ball was coming.

There was hardly any attempt to draw Halep in or even to slow ball her. Anything to try to break up the Romanian's rhythm.

Well, let's hope Strycova can make it competitive against Serena. But I'm not holding my breath.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 3:27 pm

Oh dear. 5-1 to Serena already. Must say the best part of the afternoon so far for me was the BBC1 piece on Ann Jones.

I was in the Centre Court standing area to see Jones bt B-J King to win Wimbledon 50 years ago. Interesting to hear Jones talk about the state of some of the grass courts in the late 60s.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 4:03 pm

Well that didn't take very long. I thought Strycova would at least get four or five games. But I was wrong. Just hope that Halep can make it a good final.

I feel sorry for the ticketholders who got the second Thursday. Not much to show for what was an expensive day out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 11 Jul 2019, 4:08 pm

For me, womens tennis as a spectator sport is generally poor value for money. Furthermore, for me, it is generally unwatchable because I find the high pitch screeching too distracting.  Since I stopped watching women's tennis (which I used to like - at least when it was competitive) it has also become dominated by power rather than craft - and that can lead to such short matches when the power game of one of the players is misfiring.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Thu 11 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

On the whole I beg to differ with Bertie on womens' tennis. Whilst I still consider myself more of a fan of the mens' game I do feel the WTA has come on leaps and bounds over past 10-15 years. In the past we used to get one-sided matches all through the slam tournaments - however, we have much better strength in depth within the top 50-60 with players capable of pushing the top seeds. Whilst we don't exactly have any Novotnas or Navratilovas doing serve-and-volley in the singles game I do feel we are starting to see a bit more variety - look at Barty and her slices, and the willingness of Gauff to come to the net to finish a point.

There's an element of unpredictability in the womens' game - yes, a symptom partially of inconsistency amongst some top players but also makes it genuinely exciting in slams where its quite open (compare and contrast with mens' game currently where we've not had a 1st time slam winner since....Cilic?). As for the shrieking, yes it can be an irritating feature of the game, but isn't Nadal's grunt, or Djokovic's endless ball-bouncing?

All of that said, after what has been a decent tournament so far, today was a poor advert for womens' tennis. Halep v Williams should be a decent competitive final though. Women's French Open final this year wasn't a classic but Osaka v Kvitova in Australia was v enjoyable.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Jul 2019, 5:08 pm

Talk about sitting on the fence but I agree with both NNB and MrI. The screaming and screeching is unbearable. If it was necessary to do so, how come some of the players are silent? For some matches I watch with the sound off.

But the variety of number ones and GS winners is at least a contrast to the dominance of the Big Three in the men's. I think, too, the overall standard has improved, although too many are mere ball-bashers.

For court craft, I for one was sorry that Radwanska packed it in. She showed you didn't need to knock the cover off the ball to succeed.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 11 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm

If "power" rocks your world - then the women's game is an inferior second best to the men's game. Despite what is claimed the men are far more physically powerful than the women. That said there are some women with impressive levels of power (relatively speaking).

With the women's game I am sure when I first came across the William's sisters - they played more or less silently. It only seemed to be when they encountered Sharapova that they responded likewise to her shrieking - and then they generally adopted it to their games - sometimes seemingly using it to intimidate the opponent. Whereas Venus' grunt was fairly high pitch - I think Serena's grunt was more of a roar.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm

The entire tournament has actually been pretty poor, and highly forgetful, up to this point. It’s no wonder the media turned much of their attention towards a 15 year old, and the mixed doubles, with Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:12 pm

I've sneaked a few quid on RBA to upset Novak tomorrow at 9/1 - not bad value with the form he's in and having beaten Novak twice this year already.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Jul 2019, 8:01 am

Theslotsy: Very generous odds but I still think the bookie will be the winner here. I thought Goffin might give Djoko a bit of a match but he got blown away.

No, Djoko should win although I think RBA can, at least, put up a fight.

What can one say about Rog-Rafa? Rafa is looking formidable and may have too much for Rog. But this is grass. It's Wimbledon. I mean, would anyone be that surprised if Rog won? But if I had to put money on it, I would put it on Rafa.

A Rafa win and a win on Sunday would not only strengthen his position at the top of the points-for-the-year-so-far table but put him in with a good chance of the year-end number one spot.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 12 Jul 2019, 11:51 am

Wimbledon has indeed been largely unspectacular this year, so one can only hope now for high-quality Finals (and of course SF’s too, in the case of men’s)

Whenever we get a ‘disappointing’ Slam it can be so easy to think (and I include myself here !) - even if momentarily - that the event itself is somehow to blame or that the organisers / administrators have done a poor job. And then you take a step back and realise that the problem / explanation is actually very simple : it always, inevitably, comes down to player performance.

For this Wimbledon, I found that all but three of the top 100 ranked players entered, so it was a near-complete field. The only two notable absentees were Del Potro and Coric - both because of injury (third absentee was a guy named Mackenzie McDonald, of whom I know nothing). The fact is that the younger guys have just not been able to go deep or displace the veterans. All top three seeds are in the SF’s.

A full ten years ago - in 2009 - the top three ATP ranking spots were occupied by players named Djokovic, Federer and Nadal (albeit in a different order than today). Rankings don’t lie. Tells us all we need to know about what’s happening at the highest level of the sport.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Jul 2019, 12:51 pm

Of course, the SFs and the final could redeem the whole tournament. If you think of Wimbledon 2008 the first thing that comes to mind is the epic final. May be the rest of the tournament was no great shakes. Can't remember.

At the AO this year we had Tsitsipas beating Fed while at the French Thiem bt Djoko and gave Rafa a good match. But this Wimbledon Thiem, Tsitsi and Zverev all went out straight away, thus denying us some possible blockbuster encounters later in the tournament.

At least if RBA loses this afternoon he can down a few beers with his stag do friends who have had to divert from Ibiza to London.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:14 pm

It was interesting listening to the post match quarter-final press conferences with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Rafael Nadal. They are all recognising that father time is preventing them doing what they did when they were younger - especially Federer and Nadal (Djokovic was a bit more guarded - suggestive that he is maybe hiding a few issues). Basically Federer and Nadal were asked questions about how their own styles had changed and how their semi-final opponents style had changed. It was interesting that both Federer and Nadal were sort of agreeing that Nadal's grass game has completely changed from when Nadal was in that more dominant 2006-2012 period. Both Federer and especially Nadal had to adapt their games to stay ahead of the pack as their bodies aged.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:33 pm

Johnny Mac (not the first to say it) seems very sure that CC is playing slow this year.

Little wonder that Rafa has looked so comfortable these past couple of weeks. Wimbledon becoming closer & closer to a clay event Laugh

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:44 pm

Djoko already 5-2 up and looking his usual solid self. Incidentally, all four semi finalists are 30-somethings for the second year running at Wimbledon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:51 pm

Djokovic gets a double break to win the first set 6-2. So far Bautista Agut has been having pressure placed on his serve - and two break points gained by Djokovic have both been converted. So I guess either we are going to get some sort of second set bounce from Agut or Djokovic will get on top and dominate for an easy straights set win.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

So we have an Agut bounce, Djokovic serves out the first game of the second set, then Agut gets a love service game, and then gets two break points on Djokovic's serve and takes the first to go 2-1 up in the second set with a break.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:59 pm

RBA finally starting to hit his straps.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:01 pm

Agut consolidates with a hold to 15 service game and goes 3-1 up in the second set.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm

Unfortunate interruption, esp. for RBA just as he gets some momentum ...... but now back in play

Last edited by lags72 on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:04 pm

Good stuff from RBA to get back into it after a fairly faultless opening set from Djoko.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:06 pm

Play suspended because someone in the crowd has fallen ill / feinted. Dirty tactics from the Djokovic team to disrupt RBA?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:11 pm

After resumption Agut again pressurises the Djokovic serve but two break points at 15-40 are saved and Djokovic holds.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:14 pm

Love hold from RBA. RBA is putting in the energy in this set and remains a break up and with momentum.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm

Djokovic holds but was taken to deuce.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:24 pm

RBA holds to 15, Djokovic now on serve to save the second set 3-5.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:29 pm

Djokovic holds to 30. So RBA is on serve for the second set 5-4.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:34 pm

RBA wins the second set 6-4

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:35 pm

Djokovic rather bizarrely taunting the crowds for actually wanting a decent contest

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:35 pm

RBA serves it out to 30. So we are one set all Djokovic - RBA: 6-2 4-6 with 83 minutes of play.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:35 pm

Lucky net-cord gives RBA the second set. But nothing lucky about the display by the Spaniard who upped his game just as Djoko's level dipped.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:42 pm

Stats tell it all. Djoko's UEs rose from just five in the first set to 13 in the second set, while RBA was practically untouchable on serve in the second.

Still think Djoko will probably go on to win but at least it's a reasonable match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:46 pm

Djokovic holds. Then RBA holds not too easily to 30. 1-1 third set.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:51 pm

Djokovic holds to 30. 2-1 third set. It seems that RBA's momentum has been stopped and they are parrying for dominance in the third set.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 12 Jul 2019, 2:53 pm

When an outright favourite is playing a little below his best (for whatever reason), then the aim of the opponent must always be to capitalise by bringing some added pressure. That’s just what RBA is doing, admirably ; even though he remains an unlikely winner of the match itself.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next