The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2019

+22
Oioi
EdWoodjr
kemet
Atila
88Chris05
theslosty
Good Golly I'm Olly
Henman Bill
Galted
bradman99.94
Calder106
lags72
laverfan
dummy_half
Nathaniel Jacobs
Duty281
LKII
CaledonianCraig
JuliusHMarx
MrInvisible
No name Bertie
sirfredperry
26 posters

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Wimbledon 2019 - Page 9 Empty Wimbledon 2019

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Fair weather, at least for the first few days, beckons at Wimbledon. There's a roof on number one court, which is excellent news for those with tickets for that court and for the organisers if the rain arrives.

Djoko is my favourite for the title followed by Federer. Rafa has a difficult draw but how often have we seen tricky draws work out simply due to the fact that projected opponents fall by the wayside.

Difficult to make a case out for anyone outside the top three having a good run. Last year Anderson and Isner made the semis but have not played much this season. Not sure Tsitsipas or Thiem really have the game for grass.

Predicting a women's champion is far from straightforward. Barty is the new number one and with that terrific BH slice could do extremely well. Kerber looked very good in beating Halep at Eastbourne and Pliskova has a chance, although her Wimbledon record is woeful.

You can never rule out Serena and, as I said before the French, practically all the top players have a chance. Intriguing first-round match between Coco Gauff (aged 15) and Venus (aged 39).

This year sees a tiebreak kick in at 12-12 in the final set. It just remains to be seen just how much talk the BBC come up with before showing any action when they start the programmes. Thank God for the red button.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2019 - Page 9 Empty Re: Wimbledon 2019

Post by No name Bertie Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 pm

This is how I see Sunday's Final between Djokovic and Federer panning out:

No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Ps I think Federer will be alright come Sunday - he has a whole day to rest and recoup - and though it was a tough semi-final - he came through it well. If he loses Sunday's final it will be more to do with Djokovic returning ability. In Federer's post QF match press interview he was saying that with age he has to go through a much more rigorous and lengthy warm up routine - which he finds a bit boring - but it is needed to reduce the risk of injury when playing competitively.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 pm

On reflection, we were never going to get quite the drama of the 08 Wimbledon encounter. But it was still a very good match with some spectacular points and a lot of excitement at the end.

I've never seen Rafa berate himself like that towards the end, nor Fed celebrate so much after the final point.

That match will have taken a huge emotional and physical toll on Fed. At a shade over three hours, it was not ultra long but it was very intense and it's asking a lot of Rog to be at his best against Djoko.

The Rafa-Rog head-to-head will, unless something extraordinary happens, always favour Rafa. But perhaps the recent Rog wins have made the overall score look a bit more representative of the kind of rivalry they've enjoyed.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 pm

sirfredperry wrote:On reflection, we were never going to get quite the drama of the 08 Wimbledon encounter. ......

I've never seen Rafa berate himself like that towards the end, nor Fed celebrate so much after the final point.

That match will have taken a huge emotional and physical toll on Fed. At a shade over three hours, it was not ultra long but it was very intense and it's asking a lot of Rog to be at his best against Djoko.

Agree on all counts (and yes, the h2h will inevitably always favour Nadal).

The highlights reel will show a lot of top play by Fed, but in truth there were many times when Rafa could have pulled ahead in the match but failed to capitalise. Haven’t seen official stats but I’m sure Fed was missing an above-average number of first serves, and if he had been better in that department he might actually have won a little more comfortably. None of that matters right now in terms of today’s outcome - though come Sunday he will definitely want to be serving better.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I thought it was a good match overall. There wasn't much between them (although there was a bit, but that could have been reversed with a few points here and there).

I thought Roger deserved the first set perhaps even before the TB. He had been pressing more in the first set. He also managed to improve his level in the tiebreak. That TB was when the match started getting some great points.

Fed managed to do all his crappy play in set 2 when he was already down a break, which was convenient - either lucky or good mental strategy. He actually seemed to tank the game when 5-1 down. Unusual for him but perhaps understandable.

Set 3 was quite tense. I thought he was going to go back to the old routine against Rafa of losing a match he would otherwise have deserved to win by failing to convert break points. But he eventually did quite enough even though won 2 from 10 BPs.

Some fun stuff in set 4.

If it had gone to 5 it could have been a real classic. I think Rafa might have prevailed because the mental edge would have swung his way and Federer's tiredness might have stopped him doing as well in the long rallies - he was starting to lose a couple more already at the end of set 4, and was depending on serving to close out the match in a way that wasn't the case earlier.

I am not sure if stats will back this up but I thought Fed held his own a bit better in mid to long rallies than normal and won quite a few of them. I did find the stat that Fed won 62% on second serve to Rafa at 48%.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Rafa has always been a nightmare match up for Rog and pretty much everyone else with the exception of Djoko.

But are we now finding that Rog is very much not the ideal opponent for Rafa, given the recent results between the two? All it needs now to make the rivalry complete is an epic struggle in New York at the USO.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 pm

In terms of the match up I think Federer's racket change has changed the dynamics - I just wish he had switched sooner.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:45 pm

Federer now only a few hundred points behind Rafa in the rankings. Would actually overtake him for the number two spot (a 38 y.o. World no. 2 Shocked ?? ) if he’s victorious on Sunday. But I just think it will prove a bridge too far ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 am

You have to say the dominance of the big 3 is mind-boggling. There have been 64 slams from Federer's first Wimbledon (inclusive), of which Federer, Nadal or Djokovic have won 53. Of the 11 they haven't won, 3 were prior to Rafa's first RG title. Tomorrow makes it 54 of 65.

It's really pretty mind-boggling. And we still have people on the boards who troll that they are 'mediocre players'

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:44 am

Congratulations to the Old Man. Good chance of #21.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 am

Just been looking at the post-match interviews. Rafa considered he'd not played as well as in earlier in the tournament and that his BH hadn't been all that great.

He spoke of how early Rog takes the ball and how difficult that is to do and how well Federer does it. Said he was starting to play well again at the end but by then it was too late.

I thought Rafa would win but said it would be no surprise if Fed did triumph. I'm gonna to fudge a bit for the final, too, by saying I think Djoko is slight favourite but Rog has a chance.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am

And Roger explained himself losing set two as ... "the second set got tougher with the sun coming through on the rowbox(?) end, so I got broken there, and also I did a little bit against the wind on the other side and Rafa was in the zone there and maybe I didn't serve as well, but it was a close match and he was able to take charge after I had a couple of chances early in that second set ..."

This is in the press conference immediately after coming off court - so its basically his immediate impressions following the match.

With regard the press conference - it seems to me the players should first be doing their warm down routine, which might involve cycling on the exercise bike, ice baths, hot showers ... as part of their post match recovery regime.  I guess they do their warm downs after the press conference, and have to keep warm during the press conference to prevent muscles from seizing up and becoming damaged.

Last edited by No name Bertie on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by LKII Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 am

Nadal's comments were interesting. At the FO conditions nullified their FH's and the match was decided on the BH whereby Nadal with his CCBH pummelled Federer's. It was interesting that Nadal felt confident enough to go to the Federer FH. Which in the scheme of things wasn't the smartest idea. Top that with Nadal stating his movement on the BH wasn't great and wasn't enabling him to be more effective with it.

Federer in the last 2 sets just ran away with it and took time away from Nadal. Took everything early and started painting the corners. I don't see he'll get the same joy with Djokovic.

LKII

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:46 am

Simona Halep vs Serena Williams
Simona Halep has never beaten Serena Williams in a live match.  Out of 10 attempts Halep beat Serena Williams once - but that was in a round robin dead rubber in the WTA end of Year Championship and they met again in the final when Serena hammered her 6-3 6-0.

2019 Australian Open R16 Hard: ..... Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-1 4-6 6-4
2016 US Open QF Hard: ................ Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-2 4-6 6-3
2016 Indian Wells Masters QF Hard: Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-4 6-3
2015 Cincinnati Masters F Hard: ..... Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-3 7-6
2015 Miami Masters SF Hard: ........ Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-2 4-6 7-5
2014 WTA Championships F Hard: .. Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-3 6-0
2014 WTA Championships RR Hard:  Simona Halep beat Serena Williams 6-0 6-2
2013 Cincinnati Masters QF Hard: ... Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-0 6-4
2013 Rome Masters SF Clay: ......... Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 6-3 6-0
2011 Wimbledon R64 Grass: .......... Serena Williams beat Simona Halep 3-6 6-2 6-1
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:14 am

Just been watching some of the Rog-Rafa match again. I was struck by the fact that Fed was able to win a number of the long rallies.

Also, Fed frequently drove returns on to the baseline, forcing awkward half-volley drives from Rafa. This meant that Rafa's serve was under constant threat in sets 3 and 4.

Although I expect Serena to win this afternoon, the American was pretty dreadful in her last two GS finals. I hope, at least, that Halep can make a match of it.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:51 pm

dummy_half wrote:

It's really pretty mind-boggling. And we still have people on the boards who troll that they are 'mediocre players'

Yes indeed  - and hard to decide whether it’s just funny or sad. A mixture of both maybe !

You will no doubt recall that on the old 606 there used to be any number of trolls, but they all disappeared when the site was closed down. None of them were true tennis fans of course, appearing as they did to understand so little about the game. I guess they were just bored and got a kick out of posting constant claptrap. I often used to wonder whether they ever realised just how childish they sounded with all their playground talk and suspect the answer is almost certainly no. Perhaps a few folk still remember Unbiased Educator (aka Uneducated Biased Wink ), or Simple Analyst and his many other aliases.

It’s extremely rare to see any such stuff these days because those who post now are just interested in the sport itself rather than trolling. But it still happens just occasionally as with the sort of posts we saw during yesterday’s match about ‘mediocre players’ (and ‘con artists’) which you’ve referenced above.

So much talk across the net in the wake of the Nadal/Fed battle and how well they both played. I did say it was easily the best match of the tourney so far but on reflection I think the Nadal/Kyrgios was also quite enthralling at times. And those matches involving Pella produced a lot of quality too.

Anyway, there’s a Final about to begin ....... let’s hope it’s competitive !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Serena seems anxious about this impending GS record. Reckon this has resulted in her poor performances in the Wimbledon and USO finals last year.

But if she plays anywhere near her full potential, she ought to have too much for Halep.

Serena might want to look back to the 2016 Wimbledon final where she served huge against Kerber who could do nothing with the 120-plus mph bullets.

One thing you can count on. Halep will run til she drops. She's not the biggest hitter in the women's game but she is one of the doughtiest fighters.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Come on Simone save tennis from the graceless Williams. Heck get Carlos Ramos in the chair just to destroy Williams’ Head.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by LKII Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:50 pm

lags72 wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

Yes indeed  - and hard to decide whether it’s just funny or sad. A mixture of both maybe !

You will no doubt recall that on the old 606 there used to be any number of trolls, but they all disappeared when the site was closed down. None of them were true tennis fans of course, appearing as they did to understand so little about the game. I guess they were just bored and got a kick out of posting constant claptrap. I often used to wonder whether they ever realised just how childish they sounded with all their playground talk and suspect the answer is almost certainly no. Perhaps a few folk still remember Unbiased Educator (aka Uneducated Biased Wink ), or Simple Analyst and his many other aliases.

It’s extremely rare to see any such stuff these days because those who post now are just interested in the sport itself rather than trolling. But it still happens just occasionally as with the sort of posts we saw during yesterday’s match about ‘mediocre players’ (and ‘con artists’) which you’ve referenced above.

So much talk across the net in the wake of the Nadal/Fed battle and how well they both played. I did say it was easily the best match of the tourney so far but on reflection I think the Nadal/Kyrgios was also quite enthralling at times. And those matches involving Pella produced a lot of quality too.  

Anyway, there’s a Final about to begin ....... let’s hope it’s competitive !

Don't get suckered in lags!

Give it the respect it doesn't deserve Wink

LKII

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:02 pm

There is a difference between banter and trolling.  Spend time on football sections and fora and you will get the idea.  A lot of sport is sold on emotion and passion and with emotion and passion comes exageration and banter.  As long as it remains directed at the imagined media constructed sporting stars / teams who are generally multimillionaires and don't have time to visit 606v2 to see what minions like ourselves are doing - then I have no issue.  

It is only when posters start attacking other posters at a personal level that it becomes problematic.  The posters here are the real people while the sporting stars and teams are just media and sponsorship constructed images on which to sell things to us (our time and money).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Halep breaks first game

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Halep breaks again 3-0

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 pm

This is some start by Halep

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Wonder if it's going to be another difficult GS final for Serena. Early days yet, though.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Williams's usually tactics of swinging wildly isn't working here. Halep running everything down

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 pm

4-1 Halep, Williams finally gets on the board.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:26 pm

With Serena Williams I think she is a fantastic sportswoman in terms of physique, talent, longevity, dedication.   But I don't like the media constructed image of Serena, the apparent lack of sportsmanship (sportswomanship?), the grunting, the apparent narcissistic childish behaviour, her being used as an icon for a progressive society ... but I think she is deserving of breaking all the records in women's tennis in terms of her sporting ability.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Don’t have any clear stats in front of me but seem to think (?) that Williams has a pretty good record of coming back from a first set loss

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Anyway if Halep is able to win - it will be the first time Halep would have beaten Serena in a "live" competitive match (she has beaten her only once and that was in a dead rubber round robyn match - see my post above).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:32 pm

5-2 Halep

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:34 pm

lags72 wrote:Don’t have any clear stats in front of me but seem to think (?) that Williams has a pretty good record of coming back from a first set loss
And we know how the women's game can swing wildly: sometimes you get a 1-6 6-2 6-1 type of match. Or losing a set from being 5-0 up.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Halep wins first set 6-2, Halep with all the answers in that set. Moving Williams all over the court.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:36 pm

First set to Halep. Doubt she's ever played better. Even getting back Serena bombshell shots.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Williams screaming like an imbecile. Ridiculous

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Is it Halep playing out of her skin - or is it more Serena starting off cold. I think the key to beating Serena nowadays is to get her to move around the court.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:40 pm

BBC really needs to sack the deplorable Sam Smith. If her tongue was any further up Williams’ backside she’d be tasting Williams’ lunch.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Williams holds serve 1-0

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Williams 2-1 second set

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Serena much more in it now. Could be a three-setter.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Halep breaks 3-2

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Have you seen anyone cover as much ground as Halep today? The golden retriever.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Let's see if Halep can remain focussed to hold her serve.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Halep holds 4-2

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Good hold from Halep to consolidate the break. There was some pressure on her serve when she was 15-30 - but she held firm to win the next three points.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Halep breaks 5-2 and will serve for the championship

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Halep to serve for the title

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Halep to serve for the title

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Wow. Halep gets a double break in a titanic game. Goes 5-2 up. Can she serve it out on her first attempt?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:05 pm

56 mins picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Simona Halep wins Wimbledon! The first Romanian to win a singles title at Wimbledon. HoF worthy career for Super Simona.

Williams was totally outclassed.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next