The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

+10
bsando
RDW
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
Eejit
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
Tramptastic
NeilyBroon
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact Empty Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 11 Aug - 9:30

So the first plague games are to be played in less than two weeks, provided Scotland isn't overrun with the 'rona in that time.

Teams:
Edinburgh
Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact Onesuit%20shield
TBC
Glasgow
Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact Hc74efd10d50b448ebe8e13999fa50ad80
TBC

Edinburgh are playing for a home semi.

Glasgow are playing for a slim chance.

Who would you like to see? Who should be starting on form (from 6 months ago...)? What changes do you think we'll see from DW? With Lance gone will we see Chamberlain on the bench? Will any more of the young new talent feature?

It's been a while since we've been able to discuss an actual game so am definitely relishing this.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact Empty Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

Post by Tramptastic Tue 11 Aug - 10:02

I reckon Glasgow to throw out the young guns and see what they've got. Edinburgh by 20.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact Empty Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

Post by Tramptastic Tue 11 Aug - 10:04

Excited to see which young guns get a chance though, would like to see stafford brought back for glasgow and chamberlain for edinburgh

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 11 Aug - 10:29

I think DW will be gunning for a win to get off to a decent start. Would be surprised to see anyone other than Johnson start in the centre. Only wildcard for Glasgow I think is dobie, and maybe Rufus McLean covering FB from the bench.

I expect the pack will be unchanged since march except maybe Gray will come in for nakarawa.

Edinburgh it'll be nice to see Graham back in the lineup. I expect Nic Groom will be starting but maybe we'll see shiel?

I'll be most interested in the locks playing for Edinburgh as there are a lot of very strong choices. I imagine it'll be Gilchrist plus any of the current available. Would be nice to see Davidson get an opportunity.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 11 Aug - 10:31

Edinburgh should be putting out a full strength side to get up to speed before playoffs, Europe and internationals. Chamberlain should be blooded straight away from the bench to see what Edinburgh have in him. Without Scott, the centres are missing a bit of class and Dean or Taylor are going to need to step up a level. Every other position has international grade players and at least one good club player to back them up.

Glasgow should be hosting auditions for certain roles. Need to put out a strong line-up but would like to see three of Ross Thompson, O Smith, Nairn, McLean, Nicol and Gordon in the 23. Need to begin seeing what we have in terms of talent coming through, particularly in the back three. I wouldn't mind seeing a full bore front five to see if we have the set piece to go up against Edinburgh

Schoeman vs Fagerson
McInally vs Brown
Nel vs Kebble
Toolis vs Cummings
Gilchrist vs R Gray

Some really excellent battles to be had in there.

Hazel Sapling

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 11 Aug - 13:09

Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh should be putting out a full strength side to get up to speed before playoffs, Europe and internationals. Chamberlain should be blooded straight away from the bench to see what Edinburgh have in him. Without Scott, the centres are missing a bit of class and Dean or Taylor are going to need to step up a level. Every other position has international grade players and at least one good club player to back them up.

Glasgow should be hosting auditions for certain roles. Need to put out a strong line-up but would like to see three of Ross Thompson, O Smith, Nairn, McLean, Nicol and Gordon in the 23. Need to begin seeing what we have in terms of talent coming through, particularly in the back three. I wouldn't mind seeing a full bore front five to see if we have the set piece to go up against Edinburgh

Schoeman vs Fagerson
McInally vs Brown
Nel vs Kebble
Toolis vs Cummings
Gilchrist vs R Gray

You say battle, I say slaughter.

Potentially, Glasgow has the better lock pairing but Big Ritchie and Cummings haven’t played together. Not sure how it will work,

The front row though, that’s got "Pasting" written all over it for the Glasgow Trio.

Of course it's been a long long time since full blown games of rugby were played so this march could come mostly down to who has prepared the better. Edinburgh are pretty much the same as last year, Glasgow though could be all over the place with all the new faces and coaching set up!

Please note that if Edinburgh win, the Glasgow boo boys and tin hat wearing conspiracy theorists will say that “Edinburgh is over funded now” or “Glasgow were instructed to let Edinburgh win” or some other nonsense. If Glasgow win (miracles can happen) then I’ll put it down to half of Edinburgh playing with Covid that’s not been detected by the testing!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 11 Aug - 13:47

Glasgow will go pretty much full strength, or certainly best available first time out.

If they lose, or more likely, are out mathematically because of other results, they will play a much changed team for the second leg, which will give DW a chance to look at his squad.

I don't see us rolling over for the first game though and first game out for both teams after such a long lay off might through up some clangers on both sides.

Do Edinburgh need to win both games to get the home semi?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 11 Aug - 15:11

I think one win makes it mathematically impossible for them not to at least reach the playoffs. Ideally though two wins will put them just beyond Munster for the automatic home semi final qualification. Even if Edinburgh just win twice and Munster manage two bp wins to tie Edinburgh still go through to a home semi as will have won more games.

Glasgow will have to pull on the green of Connacht and hope for an upset against Ulster to stand a chance. I expect that's a chance they will hope to take anyway. If Glasgow win on Saturday but Ulster win on the Sunday, I expect we'll see a bit more chuckabout the following game.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 11 Aug - 23:26

tigertattie wrote:Please note that if Edinburgh win, the Glasgow boo boys and tin hat wearing conspiracy theorists will say that “Edinburgh is over funded now” or “Glasgow were instructed to let Edinburgh win” or some other nonsense.
Hello.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 12 Aug - 11:40

tigertattie wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Edinburgh should be putting out a full strength side to get up to speed before playoffs, Europe and internationals. Chamberlain should be blooded straight away from the bench to see what Edinburgh have in him. Without Scott, the centres are missing a bit of class and Dean or Taylor are going to need to step up a level. Every other position has international grade players and at least one good club player to back them up.

Schoeman vs Fagerson
McInally vs Brown
Nel vs Kebble
Toolis vs Cummings
Gilchrist vs R Gray

You say battle, I say slaughter. Agreed, but tiger warning you are looking through the wrong end of the telescope! Also, I have a feeling we'll see Seuili start instead of Kebble.

Potentially, Glasgow has the better lock pairing but Big Ritchie and Cummings haven’t played together. Not sure how it will work, Big Ritchie and young Cummings will dovetail perfectly. Toolis v Cummings is the sort of mismatch which would be stopped by the second round in boxing. There's a lot I like about Toolis; he's an honest pro and he works really hard for the team BUT Cummings is well on his way to fulfilling Sciz's prediction that ,"See yon boy, Jimbo, he'll captain Glasgow and Scotland soon enough." As for Ritchie against the slowest lock in the northern hemisphere Erm

The front row though, that’s got "Pasting" written all over it for the Glasgow Trio. Aye, they'll be pasting their rave reviews on the dressing room walls after this. pieretto will probably come on for a gentle introduction to the pro 14 once the dust has settled and the Luvvies' pack are firmly in reverse gear. And no that is not a reference to Laura Ashley's new nightwear range.

I'm wondering if the rugby team might put out a back row of Naka-Flockhart-Mullet with the Jale and Batman on the bench.

Of course it's been a long long time since full blown games of rugby were played so this march could come mostly down to who has prepared the better. Edinburgh are pretty much the same as last year, Glasgow though could be all over the place with all the new faces and coaching set up!

Please note that if Edinburgh win, the Glasgow boo boys and tin hat wearing conspiracy theorists will say that “Edinburgh is over funded now” or “Glasgow were instructed to let Edinburgh win” or some other nonsense.  If Glasgow win (miracles can happen) then I’ll put it down to half of Edinburgh playing with Covid that’s not been detected by the testing!

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 12 Aug - 12:07

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Schoeman vs Fagerson
McInally vs Brown
Nel vs Kebble
Toolis vs Cummings
Gilchrist vs R Gray

You say battle, I say slaughter. Agreed, but tiger warning you are looking through the wrong end of the telescope! Also, I have a feeling we'll see Seuili start instead of Kebble.

Potentially, Glasgow has the better lock pairing but Big Ritchie and Cummings haven’t played together. Not sure how it will work, Big Ritchie and young Cummings will dovetail perfectly. Toolis v Cummings is the sort of mismatch which would be stopped by the second round in boxing. There's a lot I like about Toolis; he's an honest pro and he works really hard for the team BUT Cummings is well on his way to fulfilling Sciz's prediction that ,"See yon boy, Jimbo, he'll captain Glasgow and Scotland soon enough." As for Ritchie against the slowest lock in the northern hemisphere  Erm

The front row though, that’s got "Pasting" written all over it for the Glasgow Trio. Aye, they'll be pasting their rave reviews on the dressing room walls after this. pieretto will probably come on for a gentle introduction to the pro 14 once the dust has settled and the Luvvies' pack are firmly in reverse gear. And no that is not a reference to Laura Ashley's new nightwear range.

I'm wondering if the rugby team might put out a back row of Naka-Flockhart-Mullet with the Jale and Batman on the bench.

Please note that if Edinburgh win, the Glasgow boo boys and tin hat wearing conspiracy theorists will say that “Edinburgh is over funded now” or “Glasgow were instructed to let Edinburgh win” or some other nonsense.  If Glasgow win (miracles can happen) then I’ll put it down to half of Edinburgh playing with Covid that’s not been detected by the testing!

They might, but the Red Crayon is coach favourite so wouldn't be surprised to see him start at 6 with Batman to come on in the second half and annoy everyone. It sounds as though Wilson is keen on attacking the breakdown and holding the ball with Hastings instructed just to kick for territory. So may be a bit attritional like the derby games of old.

I expect it'll be something like:
Kebble/Seuli
Brown
Fagerson
Gray
Cummings
Harley/Wilson
Gordon
Fagerson (Wilson has worked with him at Scotland so I expect he'd get the nod)

Price
Hastings

Tagive
Johnson
Jones? (I hope the recurring lack of faith hasn't also rubbed off on Wilson, Jones seems to have an unfair reputation with the coaches for not being a complete player )
Nairn
Bryce (or he will take a punt on McLean, more likely Bryce)

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Aug - 17:34

I'm not too worried about this. Edinburgh have better players in almost every position and are more experienced as a unit.

It's really a question as to how big the margin of victory will be.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Aug - 0:14

I can't see these games being overly high in quality - with compromised training and so long since a game it's a big ask to get up to speed so quickly.

Edinburgh would have to really mess up to not get a home semi. Munster being away to Leinster should help us out in this regard.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 17 Aug - 4:03

According to Darcy Graham, Edinburgh have been going hard at it with a lot of contact training. Wonder if Glasgow have been doing the same? Looking ahead to September I imagine Cockers will be hoping for a Challenge Cup and Pro14 final. What a result that would be! Not sure how Bordeaux-Bégles will be looking in mid September but I’d hope Edinburgh will be a little more up to speed than them.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 17 Aug - 10:33

RDW wrote:I can't see these games being overly high in quality - with compromised training and so long since a game it's a big ask to get up to speed so quickly.

Agree. I watched Quins vs Sale at the weekend and the first 40 mins was full of errors and pretty scrappy. I suspect it'll be no different for us, with one or two moments of quality making the difference. The half backs will be more crucial than usual, as control and territory are particularly key if both sides are making errors. I'm not a big Pyrgos fan, but this contest may well be right up his street.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Aug - 0:16

Nakarawa won't be playing in these games - he's still in Fiji!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Aug - 7:40

No Steyn of destiny (hamstring) or Seuili (broken thumb) either and also a hint from DW that we could see a surprise at FB.

McDowell or Jones msybe?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 18 Aug - 9:17

I'd rather see Ollie Smith! We need depth at IC and McDowall needs to be playing there more regularly. Shoehorning in another non-FB isn't the way to go. DW also acknowledged there will not be any new signings so the academy is the way to go imo. Either that or McClean was signed as a FB, which given they had Smith as an option makes no sense!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Aug - 9:42

There were whispers that Not A Pony would be playing 15, but the lack of Seaman means that the 13 jersey likely to be filled by either N.A.P. , Uncle Squiggsy or young Paddy Kelly. If NAP plays 15 then we are suddenly looking thin at 13.
Neily, the Lord Stafford Of McDowall has primarily played 12: I can't remember seeing him at 13 for the firsts.

OPTIONS

15. NAP; seemingly he played 12,13 &15 while at the Stormers. This could be an opportunity for him to re-boot his career.
McLean, lots of people see a huge potential here. Is he ready?
Smith, ditto. Even though he is not listed as a full time squad member doesn't mean he can't turn out when called on.
Bryce, on a "short term deal". Doesn't scream that DW has confidence in him.
Tagive, the coaches obviously really see something in him. Will he be a winger or full back?

From a business point of view we have three players there who must justify their wages.
Tagive hasn't been able to do that because of injury. However, Toonie did call him into the Scotland training squad and the club extended his contract so there must be a lot of potential there.
Bryce was in the last chance saloon last/this season and then put in some decent performances but maybe too little too late.
Huw Jones?? Possibly the most exciting, free scoring 13 to have played for Scotland in a very long time but he can't command a regular start for Glasgow. He must be on a decent salary and if he isn't putting in the performances then something must change. The problem is that if he becomes a born again 15 at Scotstoun then he effectively becomes 3rd choice 15 for Scotland.I'm not sure that either he or Toonie want that.

15. Tagive
14. Seymour
13. Not A Pony
12. Smiling Sam
11. MadMad

Horne, Horne & McLean on the bench.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Aug - 10:23

On the subject of who's playing full back for the rugby team ....

Petrus Du Plessis mentioned in an interview how good he felt running out at Scotstoun with "Enter Sandman" blasting out over the PA.
Glasgow have a good track record drumroll of running out to hip tunes; Back In Black when our jerseys were mainly black, The Captain when young Jonny stepped up.
If young Rufus McLean starts at 15 this season I think they should run out to Louden Wainwright's seminal "Rufus Is a Tit Man".
We could all sing along.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Aug - 10:29

jimbopip wrote:On the subject of who's playing full back for the rugby team ....

Petrus Du Plessis mentioned in an interview how good he felt running out at Scotstoun with "Enter Sandman" blasting out over the PA.
Glasgow have a good track record drumroll of running out to hip tunes; Back In Black when our jerseys were mainly black, The Captain when young Jonny stepped up.
If young Rufus McLean starts at 15 this season I think they should run out to Louden Wainwright's seminal  "Rufus Is a Tit Man".
We could all sing along.

....and "who we are" by Boyzone!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Aug - 10:30

How could I have blanked out that anthemic classic?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 18 Aug - 11:26

jimbopip wrote:There were whispers that Not A Pony would be playing 15, but the lack of Seaman means that the 13 jersey likely to be filled by either N.A.P. , Uncle Squiggsy or young Paddy Kelly. If NAP plays 15 then we are suddenly looking thin at 13.
Neily, the Lord Stafford Of McDowall has primarily played 12: I can't remember seeing him at 13 for the firsts.

OPTIONS

15. NAP; seemingly he played 12,13 &15 while at the Stormers. This could be an opportunity for him to re-boot his career.
McLean, lots of people see a huge potential here. Is he ready?
Smith, ditto. Even though he is not listed as a full time squad member doesn't mean he can't turn out when called on.
Bryce, on a "short term deal". Doesn't scream that DW has confidence in him.
Tagive, the coaches obviously really see something in him. Will he be a winger or full back?

From a business point of view we have three players there who must justify their wages.
Tagive hasn't been able to do that because of injury. However, Toonie did call him into the Scotland training squad and the club extended his contract so there must be a lot of potential there.
Bryce was in the last chance saloon last/this season and then put in some decent performances but maybe too little too late.
Huw Jones?? Possibly the most exciting, free scoring 13 to have played for Scotland in a very long time but he can't command a regular start for Glasgow. He must be on a decent salary and if he isn't putting in the performances then something must change. The problem is that if he becomes a born again 15 at Scotstoun then he effectively becomes 3rd choice 15 for Scotland.I'm not sure that either he or Toonie want that.

15. Tagive
14. Seymour
13. Not A Pony
12. Smiling Sam
11. MadMad

I meant he needs more time at inside centre, he's made a few appearances at both. He started with a lot of promise but has gone a bit quiet. I'd rather see him on the bench covering IC than on the field at FB!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Aug - 23:09

Robertson in the Mail, reporting it is going to be Shuggy at FB for Glasgow this weekend.

Not sure what I think of that.

I suppose though that anything that gets him back onto the pitch and gets his mojo back can only help in the long term.

Maybe we have got nothing to lose these games, so lets give it a crack.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 19 Aug - 6:33

Hmmm I'd rather see him back at outside centre from a Scotland perspective but at least he should be playing.

Interesting that Wilson has got co-captaincy again, he's obviously the born leader of men. He starts the fights then Brown gets carded for them?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Aug - 6:34

Yeah Scotland have Hogg, Kinghorn and Maitland for fullback.

We really need 2018 Jones to make an appearance  again - at centre.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 19 Aug - 10:59

At the risk of repeating myself  Doh

jimbopip wrote:There were whispers that Not A Pony would be playing 15, but the lack of Seaman means that the 13 jersey likely to be filled by either N.A.P. , Uncle Squiggsy or young Paddy Kelly. If NAP plays 15 then we are suddenly looking thin at 13.

OPTIONS

Huw Jones?? Possibly the most exciting, free scoring 13 to have played for Scotland in a very long time but he can't command a regular start for Glasgow. He must be on a decent salary and if he isn't putting in the performances then something must change. The problem is that if he becomes a born again 15 at Scotstoun then he effectively becomes 3rd choice 15 for Scotland. I'm not sure that either he or Toonie want that.

15. Tagive
14. Seymour
13. Not A Pony
12. Smiling Sam
11. MadMad

The key point, for me, is that if Huw Jones decides that his Glasgow future lies at 15 then (a) he is giving up on being an international 13 Erm Which not so long ago would have been totally inconceivable and (b) he would be competing for the Scotland 15 jersey with; Hogg, Blarehorn, NoMaits and possibly D'Arcy. So in effect one of the highest paid Scottish internationalists would be made surplus to requirements.
Add to this that Jones is still relatively young and if he is as good at 15 as he has shown he can be at 13 then he could be Glasgow's full back for a few tears Freudian slip, I meant YEARS to come. What would this do for Rufus The Titman and Ollie Smith?

Last edited by jimbopip on Wed 19 Aug - 11:08; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 19 Aug - 11:01

BigGee wrote:Robertson in the Mail, reporting it is going to be Shuggy at FB for Glasgow this weekend.

I suppose though that anything that gets him back onto the pitch and gets his mojo back can only help in the long term.

Gee, you may be in danger of losing your sanctified status as Hero Warrior Of The Blessed NHS if you keep reading, and quoting, the Daily Mail. warning

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Aug - 11:04

To be fair, Rob Robertson is ok. I generally don't read his articles as they're written as tabloid tat but his tweets aren't bad.

He's no Mark Palmer or Tom English though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 19 Aug - 11:13

English is the best Scottish pundit and he's from Ireland! Says it all really. I hope Barclay gets a gig with the beeb or a paper. We need better pundits!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Aug - 12:16

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Robertson in the Mail, reporting it is going to be Shuggy at FB for Glasgow this weekend.

Gee, you may be in danger of losing your sanctified status as Hero Warrior Of The Blessed NHS if you keep reading, and quoting, the Daily Mail. warning

You will be unsurprised to hear I don't read the Daily Mail, even though I do note with interest that it seems to have turned against Johnson and some of his idiot ministers lately.

Palmer and Robertson do seem to be the Scottish Journos with the inside track these days and you can easily pick up their titbits from Twitter without the shame or expense of reading their respective rags!

I agree about Tom English being the best writer around on Scottish sport as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Aug - 12:27

I also don't think playing Jones at FB is in any way likely to be a permanent fixture, more trying to make the best of the resources we have got at present. If it gives him a chance to get some game time and another string to his bow, then so be it.

The youngsters will get their chances this year, maybe even the following weekend, when the likliehood is we will have nothing at all to play for. This is still a live match though and we should give it our best shot as long as we do still have that chance of qualifying.

Plus we do enjoy beating Edinburgh as well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 19 Aug - 13:50

if Duhan goes one on one against Jones at fullback I know where my money will be....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Aug - 14:10

funnyExiledScot wrote:if Duhan goes one on one against Jones at fullback I know where my money will be....

That might be the case against any of our options at FB to be fair. Still it might be a good thing if Jones could show us that he is not as flaky defensively as her is sometimes perceived to be.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 19 Aug - 17:13

NeilyBroon wrote:English is the best Scottish pundit and he's from Ireland! Says it all really. I hope Barclay gets a gig with the beeb or a paper. We need better pundits!

Especially at 6 Nations time! BOD, POC, Warburton, Barclay are all doing a good job on tv punditry front and I think Barclay did a great job with his blog for the beeb.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Aug - 23:39

Any Edinburgh fans worried about all this chat about winning the league? They're not saying "we're going to win the league" but there's still a lot of talk around it. There's a long way to go yet!

Ultimately, Leinster should be an unstoppable juggernaut that romps to the title. Munster could spring a surprise given their new South African beef imports but they would need to get up to speed very quickly.

I think getting to the final would be a huge achievement, and we'd need to show we've learnt our lessons from previous knockouts (i.e. don't play so conservatively), but it would be a major upset if Edinburgh won the whole thing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Aug - 0:23

I actually think the chat is constructive. It's driven by Cockerill telling the squad that they're good enough, and not simply to feed off the classic Scottish underdog narrative. I'm turning 40 this year (so nearly half as old as Jimbo and Schizoid, and a quarter the age of ASBO), and I have grown fairly tired of a constant narrative of the Scottish underdog, and the dreaded phrase: "punching above our weight".

Let's be clear, I wouldn't trade our back three of Kinghorn, Graham and Duhan for any in the league. I also think that a back row of Ritchie, Watson and Mata is the best in the league, and we have Bradbury on the bench.

I would hate any side I support to get cocky (apart for Rangers...), but one of the things I like about Cockerill is his brutal honesty. If he's telling our boys that they are good enough, then I buy it, and I'm pleased the squad are getting a bit of that.

At least we have an easy warm up game on Saturday to get us started, and hopefully the mighty Hamish Watson (the best pound for pound player in world rugby?) can put young Tom Gordon (the best one game wonder since Tom Rees?) in his place.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 20 Aug - 11:03

Ah FES, you don't get any better with age do you? Another derby another outing for the same old insipid attempt at drollery.
Danny Boy is so confident that he's playing Zander at 15. We'll let one of our work experience kids bully Schoeman for the first hour.
Big Ritchie against Gilchrist. It'll be like watching Priti Patel trying to read the daily covid figures. My money's on the big number rather than the huge erse.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Aug - 15:23

I generally feel sorry for Priti Patel. Thick as mince and promoted way above her abilities (whatever they are), and all on public display on an almost daily basis.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Aug - 15:25

jimbopip wrote:Ah FES, you don't get any better with age do you?

I've always been world class. No room for improvement.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 20 Aug - 16:44

Second only to our world class test, track and trace system.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 20 Aug - 16:45

It is going to be strange to see teams announced after what feels like forever since the last Pro14 fixture. Here is my combined starting XV by the way https://ranked-list-images.files.bbci.co.uk/1872-Cup-selector-d2499c53795597d7796880f4b45fb483.html Let's see yours

I guess with Edinburgh the hype of potentially winning the Pro14 is something they'll need to embrace. With Edinburgh top and basically in the playoffs the expectation from fans is justified. It would be unfair to criticise Edinburgh if they don't make the final as they're not quite there yet. It's been good to hear Cockerill mentioning the hard work they've been putting in after lockdown to ensure they finish the season at the same level or higher than pre covid-19. The Derby win at Murrayfield in December was the standard of game Edinburgh need to be doing consistently in these upcoming games. Where the star players do their bit and the rest of the team graft hard and create opportunities, wether that is in defence, attack or the niggly stuff.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 20 Aug - 16:54

Not bad Bsando. I will support choosing McInally over Brown. Do not agree with Steyn over Kinghorn or Groom over Price/Horne.

Can understand Gilchrist over R Gray, however Nakarawa was a choice on the options and Gilchrist is not at that level. If R Gray turns up in good form, Gilchrist is not at that level either

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 20 Aug - 17:29

You know I think I may have been thinking about who will be playing at fullback for Glasgow and then selected Steyn haha. Kinghorn would indeed be a better choice. Few seasons ago it would be a largely Glasgow selected side now it's pretty even.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Aug - 20:01

My combined team:

1.Schoe 2.McInally 3.Nel 4.Gilchrist 5.Nakarawa 6.Ritchie 7.Watson 8.Mata 9.Price 10.Hastings 11.Duhan 12.Johnson 13.Bennett 14.Graham 15.Kinghorn

11 Edinburgh
4 Glasgow

Sounds about right....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Aug - 23:20

I'd maybe pick Huw Jones over Bennet (the 2018 version at least), and I think Fagerson has finally surpassed Nel but that's about it...

I'd even back our reserve back row of Bradbury - Crosbie - Haining over any of the Glasgow back row!

9 Edinburgh
6 Glasgow

Seems about right!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 21 Aug - 6:46

https://www.theoffsideline.com/glasgow-edinburgh-nick-grigg-huw-jones/?v=79cba1185463

Grigg all but confirms Jones will be at FB. Which ironically isn't really that big a surprise (you're just crazy aren't you, DW?).

As I said I have mixed feelings. Great he's going to get a start but I think:
1) Glasgow need a permanent solution there. An actual out and out FB, they have youngsters who imo they need to get playing and give a chance. It'd be silly to have another two seasons of a converted position to fullback as number 1. Look at kinghorns impact at Edinburgh. Give smith or McLean a shot.
2) I don't want this to ruin Jones career as an outside centre where he undoubtedly plays his best rugby. My fear is now he'll become the versatile bench spot that Harris once took, with considerably more talent and eye for a gap being wasted on chasing a lost game or when the game is won

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Aug - 11:00

I'll have a stab ( I am a Glaswegian) at picking the teams

Rugby Club

1. Kebble (Allan)
2. Chuckles (Fitter &)
3. Ragnar The Pretty (Pieretto)
4. Ritchie
5. Cummings (BBB)
6. Batman (The Jale)
7. Mullet
8. Matt In The Middle
9. Aldi Price (Wee George)
10. Haircut
12 Johnson (Furra Linee)
13. Uncle Squiggsy
11. Tagive
14. Seymour
15. The New angel if it works out it'll be a bigger resurrection than Easter Sunday (MadMad)

Kath Kidson Fan Club

1. Some Fat Bloke
2. Some poseur who calls himself Rambo
3. An Old Saffer
4. I nearly signed for a big French club.
5. Someone who's not Toolis, apparently
6. One of nine great back rowers
7. One of nine great back rowers
8. One of nine great back rowers
9. No Henners you stay there. Jamie Dobbie is the future
10. A blonde Saffer
11. SEBD kid looking for a rammie
12. Not Matt Scott
13. Mark what happened to you?
14. Another blond Saffer
15. Blare that Kinghorn

I haven't listed the Edinburgh 16-23, let's face it why encourage them to think people care?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 21 Aug - 11:08

jimbopip wrote:

Kath Kidson Fan Club

1. Some Fat Bloke
2. Some poseur who calls himself Rambo
3. An Old Saffer
4. I nearly signed for a big French club.
5. Someone who's not Toolis, apparently
6. One of nine great back rowers
7. One of nine great back rowers
8. One of nine great back rowers
9. No Henners you stay there. Jamie Dobbie is the future
10. A blonde Saffer
11. SEBD kid looking for a rammie
12. Not Matt Scott
13. Mark what happened to you?
14. Another blond Saffer
15. Blare that Kinghorn

I haven't listed the Edinburgh 16-23, let's face it why encourage them to think people care?

Laugh Laugh Laugh

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 21 Aug - 11:12

It sounds like this could be more than just a shaking off the cobwebs match and actually be quite a spicy fixture. Sounds like both teams are very fired up to get back playing and have been working hard in training. Sure we'll see some silly mistakes but I am expecting it to be a tight result.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next