The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

+10
bsando
RDW
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
Eejit
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
Tramptastic
NeilyBroon
14 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact - Page 5 Empty Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

Post by NeilyBroon Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:30 am

First topic message reminder :

So the first plague games are to be played in less than two weeks, provided Scotland isn't overrun with the 'rona in that time.

Teams:
Edinburgh
Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact - Page 5 Onesuit%20shield
TBC
Glasgow
Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact - Page 5 Hc74efd10d50b448ebe8e13999fa50ad80
TBC

Edinburgh are playing for a home semi.

Glasgow are playing for a slim chance.

Who would you like to see? Who should be starting on form (from 6 months ago...)? What changes do you think we'll see from DW? With Lance gone will we see Chamberlain on the bench? Will any more of the young new talent feature?

It's been a while since we've been able to discuss an actual game so am definitely relishing this.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact - Page 5 Empty Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

Post by bsando Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Congrats Glasgow and Fraiser Brown, what a game he had!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact - Page 5 Empty Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22/08/20 - bring the hand gel, there's going to be a lot of contact

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Yup, congrats to Glasgow. Much better on the night, and Brown was outstanding.

McInally needs to put the Lions chat to one side. Not only is Brown currently performing to a higher standard re: Scotland, but so is Willemse re: Edinburgh.

Obviously not Edinburgh at full strength or full focus, but still Cockers must be worried about the lack of quality, particularly at the line out and scrum. In both games the backs have looked like the only plan is to chuck it to Duhan and wait for something to happen. The intensity hasn't been there.

Still, a home semi to look forward to....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:35 pm

I would also add that both Fagerson's were also very good.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:49 pm

I honestly don't think we can read too much into either match.

I was considering a composite side from both games...but I can't see the point.

Both teams had one good performance. Some players looked good. Both coaches will have learned something. Cockers will probably have learned that he's really bored with people asking why he bothers picking outside backs. Danny Wilson will be learning another fifty ways to say, "No, the horrid antipodean is not coming back. Honest."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Well I don't think I'll be rushing to watch this game!

Of course I would have rather we pumped the weegies but it's potentially no bad thing to have happened - there will certainly be no complacency next week now. No one will remember this game if we make the final.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 pm

We're there any good performances from Edinburgh...?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:57 pm

The stadium announcer kept up the inanity for the full 80.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:02 pm

Ummm....

Willemse was busy until he came off, and Dean was OK. Duhan was hardly used, but looked threatening when he had the ball. A couple of customary charges from Mata.

Mainly poor though. Shiel struggled and showed that starting is harder than being the impact sub. Watson lacked a bit of thrust, and both Bradbury and Haining were slightly lacklustre.

Frankly neither team looked hugely bothered to be honest, and the set pieces were a mess. The best bit was Cockers afterwards, who just said the whole thing was an average dead rubber.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:02 pm

Laugh

Just looked at the BBC feed - it really does sound dire. Peter Wright not mincing his words as always.

How was Chamberlain?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 pm

He was ok. Missed a penalty I'd have liked him to slot, but his kicking game looked decent. Didn't create much, but apart from a brief Ali Price cameo, neither did anyone else.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Chamberlain did okay actually, I think he’ll grow into the position with more games. Johnstone was good at 13, he’s un underrated player but never does much wrong.

It was a strange match, it certainly felt like Edinburgh were not that motivated. Also the ref penalised Sheil for taking too long to use the ball and Glasgow’s resulting scrum then took up five minutes of play due to resets which was ironic.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Jones did well at fullback again for Glasgow, he didn’t get much ball in attack but when he did he got an assist. He also didn’t drop a ball and generally looked quite stable in defence. Useful for Wilson going forwards.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:34 am

Bit of a turgid affair. I thought Chamberlain was solid considering it was his pro debut (don't really count 4 mins off the bench). Glasgow defence was solid but lots of mistakes in attack from both sides. Darcy looked eager and should be back to form pretty quickly I reckon, he really is a special player. Let's hope he remains injury free this year.

Stafford also looked solid and is worth persisting with imo. I think he's one of those centres who will get better with game time. Brown is now the incumbent at hooker and has overtaken McInally imo. Hopefully that drives McInally to up his game, he especially needs to work on getting back up to scratch with lineouts. Turner looks like a decent enough deputy to both.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:45 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Bit of a turgid affair. I thought Chamberlain was solid considering it was his pro debut (don't really count 4 mins off the bench). Glasgow defence was solid but lots of mistakes in attack from both sides. Darcy looked eager and should be back to form pretty quickly I reckon, he really is a special player. Let's hope he remains injury free this year.

Stafford also looked solid and is worth persisting with imo. I think he's one of those centres who will get better with game time. Brown is now the incumbent at hooker and has overtaken McInally imo. Hopefully that drives McInally to up his game, he especially needs to work on getting back up to scratch with lineouts. Turner looks like a decent enough deputy to both.

Yes, I think Rambo was, at best, the third best hooker on the field. The pace which Turner brings to broken field play could go a long way to ameliorating Glasgow's problems at 7.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:48 am

Mcinally is class, and was decent in the 6N. I just don't think he's looked very fit so far.

We're lucky that we've got 2 options with so much class.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 am

You are right, Flounder, Rambo did look class then and he looks unfit now.

The hooker contest at Scotstoun could be one of the more interesting sub plots next season. Dolokoto's try to games ratio is eye catching. Stewart looks to be a real prospect and the two who played last night must both feel they should be starting every week. Oh and then there's Jonny Mathis.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:53 am

jimbopip wrote:You are right, Flounder, Rambo did look class then and he looks unfit now.

The hooker contest at Scotstoun could be one of the more interesting sub plots next season. Dolokoto's try to games ratio is eye catching. Stewart looks to be a real prospect and the two who played last night must both feel they should be starting every week. Oh and then there's Jonny Mathis.

At the current rate, they'll all get more minutes in the back row!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:22 am

Yes, the Glasgow back row looks to be a problem area. Harley is now much better suited at lock, and whilst Fagerson and Gordon both brought energy last night, they are short of a proper ball carrier. Nakarawa might solve that, but against the better sides they may struggle for go forward. Players like Wilson and Fusaro are well short at this level now.

Still, I thought the Glasgow pack had the edge yesterday, and the front row all impressed. Cummings doesn't seem to have a bad game in him either.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:31 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Yes, the Glasgow back row looks to be a problem area. Harley is now much better suited at lock, I thought McDonald did very well when he came on. So, Cummings-Richie as first choice backed up by BBB-McDonald with Nkanaks as 5th choice Shocked

and whilst Fagerson and Gordon both brought energy last night, they are short of a proper ball carrier. Nakarawa might solve that, but against the better sides they may struggle for go forward. Players like Wilson and Fusaro are well short at this level now. Yes but we've still to see Nessie, who may turn out to be a rampaging ball carrying 6. Naknaks- Nessie-Batman as sixes; Fagerson-Ashe at 8, Mullet-Fozzie at 7. Oh and Flockhart.

Still, I thought the Glasgow pack had the edge yesterday, and the front row all impressed. Cummings doesn't seem to have a bad game in him either.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:36 am

Oh I see. Everything is great at Glasgow. Tons of world class options. My mistake....

I won't get started on the back three then....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:41 am

Joking aside were Glasgow that much better? All the chat I've seen is the game was truly awful - Glasgow were just less awful than Edinburgh.

Peter Wright threatened to get the bus home on 50 minutes!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am

RDW wrote:Joking aside were Glasgow that much better? All the chat I've seen is the game was truly awful - Glasgow were just less awful than Edinburgh.

Peter Wright threatened to get the bus home on 50 minutes!

Not really. They did look more effective on attacking ball but only through default really, not because they were particularly good. Tagive scored a nice try and Fraser Brown was the best player on the field by quite some margin.

Edinburgh looked in control for large spells but failed to capitalise. Very reminiscent of old Scotland.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:02 pm

Just watched the game as well.

Far from a classic, but Glasgow looked the hungrier side this week and Edinburgh's minds were elsewhere. I don't think as a game or result it is going to have any bearing on next weekend, or the upcoming season.

There were a few decent individual performances apart from Brown, who was a clear MoM:

Harley had a decent game, but is definitely better in the Row these days.

I thought Tagive was tidy enough over the two legs and I suspect we will see a lot more of him next season.

The Jones at FB experiment seemed to work and will give him an extra string to his bow. Kinghorn still makes to many howlers for my liking and Jones may become a better bench option for Scotland if he does not start to cut them out.

McDowell will be pushing for more game time as well. particularly if Johnson is away with Scotland.

DW seemed to decide he needed to win this game rather than experiment even keeping the two props on for virtually the whole game. He will have some time now to mould the team more as to how he wants them to play and presumably to try a few more things out.

I hope they can get another warm up game in somewhere before the season starts and hopefully we can hit the street running.

For the next few weeks, it is all going to be about Edinburgh, lets hope they can live up to their potential.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:16 pm

That was Edinburgh's first home defeat since April 2019! That's s remarkable run.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5