The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020

+22
lostinwales
Geordie
Heuer27
majesticimperialman
king_carlos
TheMildlyFranticLlama
No 7&1/2
Duty281
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
bsando
funnyExiledScot
Gooseberry
Mcsweens
tigertattie
BigGee
No9
sensisball
Old Man
Hazel Sapling
RDW
NeilyBroon
26 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020 - Page 2 Empty Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 17 Nov 2020, 10:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland face France at Murrayfield in the second round of pool B's fixtures.

Previous results:
Sco 28-17 Fra - Murrayfield, 6Ns 2020
Sco 17-14 Fra - Murrayfield, WC warm up 2019
Fra 27-10 Sco - Stade Francais, 6Ns 2019
Sco 32-26 Fra - Murrayfield, 6Ns 2018
Fra 22-16 Sco - Stade Francais, 6Ns 2017

Pretty even Stevens excluding the WC warm-up, with both sides boasting a 100% home record in the last 5 fixtures. France will be looking to turn the tables after Scotland ended their 6Ns run and in turn end Scotland's record-equalling winning run. Scotland will be looking to improve on a mixed bag against Italy and maintain their home record against France.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020

Post by Mcsweens Fri 20 Nov 2020, 2:50 pm

I'm surprised Taylor is still going tbh, given the amount of punishment his body, and in particular his head, have taken over the years.
I suppose Jones is just viewed as an overly-expensive luxury - and my uncultured rugby brain is kinda sympathetic to that viewpoint.

Last edited by Mcsweens on Fri 20 Nov 2020, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland v France - Autumn Nations Cup 2020

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 20 Nov 2020, 4:53 pm

Mcsweens wrote:I'm surprised Taylor is still going tbh, given the amount of punishment his body, and in particular his head, have taken over the years.
I suppose Jones is just viewed as an overly-expensive luxury - and my uncultured rugby brain is kinda sympathetic to that viewpoint.

Wee bit harsh! Jones has been mucked about at Glasgow by Rennie previously and is finally settled and hitting a vein of form under Wilson, has given amazing tryscoring performances in a Scotland shirt and has improved his all-round game, doing everything asked of him by the coaches. He may be pricey but he's a very talented player! Should have moved from Glasgow a while back tbh.

As I said I really rate DT but on appearances for club and form/fitness, Jones should have the bench spot.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 Nov 2020, 8:38 pm

I don't think Taylor has ever actually been called up to the squad officially!

Agree it's a strange selection - I don't actually know when he last played a game of rugby.

Big concerns about the lack of size of the back row against the French goliaths.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Nov 2020, 10:09 pm

What I did not really notice on first look is that there is no obvious FH cover on the bench, which suggests either Hoggy, Blairhorn or SHC will have to step up if Weir gets injured.

That is a bit of a gamble by Toonie but maybe he feels that he has no real choices with his 2 best players in that position injured.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 21 Nov 2020, 1:54 pm

Graham going well at 8 for falcons today. Worth a thought at least for future fixtures I reckon!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 21 Nov 2020, 4:25 pm

BigGee wrote:What I did not really notice on first look is that there is no obvious FH cover on the bench, which suggests either Hoggy, Blairhorn or SHC will have to step up if Weir gets injured.

That is a bit of a gamble by Toonie but maybe he feels that he has no real choices with his 2 best players in that position injured.
I noticed that too.
I think that Hogg will move up to 10, if required, and Maitland will play 15.
WRT Taylor, he was playing well at Sarries prior to latest injury, and he may rattle the French, as he has no fear of them. His brilliant 4 years ago certainly gave the impression that he had no concern for their flair!

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 21 Nov 2020, 4:27 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Graham going well at 8 for falcons today. Worth a thought at least for future fixtures I reckon!
I was wondering about that too. He is a bit taller than Fagerson junior, and more feisty possibly, so could be a good option, although he is a good bit lighter than BV or TF.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 22 Nov 2020, 11:19 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
Mcsweens wrote:I'm surprised Taylor is still going tbh, given the amount of punishment his body, and in particular his head, have taken over the years.

Wee bit harsh! Jones has been mucked about at Glasgow by Rennie previously and is finally settled and hitting a vein of form under Wilson, has given amazing tryscoring performances in a Scotland shirt and has improved his all-round game, doing everything asked of him by the coaches. He may be pricey but he's a very talented player! Should have moved from Glasgow a while back tbh.

As I said I really rate DT but on appearances for club and form/fitness, Jones should have the bench spot.

I don't know what the reason for his decline is - it is sad how he has slipped back at Glasgow, and in hindsight a move would have been good. It's made all the more bitter since he turned down a big money move to Saints or Leicester early on I think because he wanted to work with Dave R.

To give Harris his due, he is a better defender and defence has been winning matches for Scotland. That's why Taylor gets the bench spot too.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 22 Nov 2020, 1:38 pm

Mcsweens wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

I don't know what the reason for his decline is - it is sad how he has slipped back at Glasgow, and in hindsight a move would have been good. It's made all the more bitter since he turned down a big money move to Saints or Leicester early on I think because he wanted to work with Dave R.

To give Harris his due, he is a better defender and defence has been winning matches for Scotland. That's why Taylor gets the bench spot too.

Don't get me wrong it's a very good squad we have today and I have no complaints about any of the players really, just don't understand the mindset behind the persistent exclusion of one of our most talented players. Seems daft and short sighted as beyond Harris we have dwindling options, Taylor isn't exactly a younger player and is prone to more injury than Dunbar was, which is saying something! Hard to see who will fill the gaps in 2023, unless there's any u20 centres yet to make a pro appearance.

Anyway, I reckon we could inch it today but could easily go the other way. Very hard to predict. I'll plump for our boys and say 20-19. France getting 3 tries but missing a conversion, us getting two and two penalties to squeeze past. Could be very exciting!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 22 Nov 2020, 2:01 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
Mcsweens wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Don't get me wrong it's a very good squad we have today and I have no complaints about any of the players really, just don't understand the mindset behind the persistent exclusion of one of our most talented players. Seems daft and short sighted as beyond Harris we have dwindling options, Taylor isn't exactly a younger player and is prone to more injury than Dunbar was, which is saying something! Hard to see who will fill the gaps in 2023, unless there's any u20 centres yet to make a pro appearance.

Anyway, I reckon we could inch it today but could easily go the other way. Very hard to predict. I'll plump for our boys and say 20-19. France getting 3 tries but missing a conversion, us getting two and two penalties to squeeze past. Could be very exciting!

Agree with the sentiments here, Jones must feel a little disappointed with how things have gone for him. He seems like a pretty positive person though and I suspect he's probably happy to fill in at Fullback for Glasgow knowing he has the chance to be signed elsewhere once his contract is up. I wonder if Wilson will want to try to retain him? If the Stormers are going to be in the new Pro16 then perhaps he'll look to re-link with them? Or make a move to the EP or France. Personally I think the Stormers setup is where he's looked his best so that could be the right move, albeit a move in the opposite direction.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:10 pm

Toonie has kept Jones with the squad while sending Grigg back to Glasgow, so we may see him yet. Maybe he was planned to get his chance in the postponed Fiji game.

It will be interesting where he goes with selection for the last game, a lot might depend on how it goes today and if we are in the final and a chance to win the tournament.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:14 pm

Should be game of the week, this. Two teams on a good, upward trajectory.

Expecting a French victory, but it's certainly not beyond the Scots. Glad Barnes is officiating.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:18 pm

Weir and Jalibert look like they are u15s

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:20 pm

Good start by France, they look very powerful

3-0 France

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

Silly and soft penalty by Blairhorn
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:27 pm

Another good set from France and another penalty

6-0 France

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:30 pm

Great tackle from Watson, I thought Rattez was gone there

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:30 pm

Thank goodness for Hamish.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:30 pm

Balls. Now Barnes is doing instructions in French it means I have to dig out my GCSE book.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm

Three pints surely
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm

Better from Scotland

Take the points

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm

Or points even. Pubs are shut mind
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:34 pm

Duncy slots the points

6-3 France

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:36 pm

Another penalty and is kickable

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:37 pm

Agent Aldritte strikes

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:37 pm

New Scottish tactic. Get kebble to lay on the tackler to stop them rolling away. Sneaky
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:38 pm

‘Mon the superdunc!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:38 pm

His aim is true

6 all, game on

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:39 pm

Hunky Dunky is going to come off the bench (still sporting that haircut) in the 2023 RWC final to slot the winning penalty in a mirror image of Stephen Donald in 2011. You heard it here first.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:41 pm

A rare drop goal

9-6 France

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:41 pm

Almost forgot what a drop goal looks like, smart choice

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:41 pm

Kinda reassuring to see them choose the drop-goal as an option

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:43 pm

That's really good decision making from Jalibert to be fair.

Seeing a drop goal almost makes me reminiscent.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:46 pm

Duncy up again

9 all

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:47 pm

Have to say I think Barnes is doing a good job. Very thorough and very clear.

Encouraging so far from Scotland!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:47 pm

Aaarrghh immediately give the three back from the restart. That's a 'coach killer' right there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:48 pm

I'm surprised the drop-goal isn't utilised more. Highly difficult to defend and three points is pretty high-value.

Scotland doing well to stay in the contest, though the French are about to retake the lead.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:48 pm

the ping pong continues

12-9 France

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:48 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Have to say I think Barnes is doing a good job. Very thorough and very clear.

Encouraging so far from Scotland!
Agreed. Delighted that he didn't retire after the 2019 RWC as he was rumoured to be.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:51 pm

Ehhhh Wayne. Of the ball is ripped it’s no a knock on pal
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:53 pm

Ughhh kinghorn!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:56 pm

The Watson-Ritchie pairing are so much fun to watch and have really given the Scotland pack something to build from.

king_carlos

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:56 pm

Duncy going for a long penalty prior to HT

12 all

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:57 pm

Weir might look like a troglodyte but hes is kicking beautifully

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:57 pm

Duncy saves the day

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:57 pm

Problem for me is that weir isn’t the best distributor then outside him is Johnson who is not a distributor of a 12 and outside him is Harris who isn’t a distributing 13

We need a cockers playbook and the ball needs to go to duhan
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 3:59 pm

Thats a yellow at least

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 22 Nov 2020, 4:00 pm

tigertattie wrote:Problem for me is that weir isn’t the best distributor then outside him is Johnson who is not a distributor of a 12 and outside him is Harris who isn’t a distributing 13

We need a cockers playbook and the ball needs to go to duhan

The cockers playbook only works with forward dominance, which we don't currently have!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2020, 4:00 pm

Chat a lucky boy there

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Nov 2020, 4:00 pm

How is that not leading. His elbow is not touching his torso
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next