The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

+44
whatahitson
No9
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
alive555
eirebilly
king_carlos
Highland Shaun
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Cyril
majesticimperialman
Heaf
doctor_grey
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
nickj
takethelongroad
flyhalffactory
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
EST
Mcsweens
demosthenes
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Geordie
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
bsando
TJ
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RDW
48 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:00 am

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by RDW Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:42 am

I think the success or failure of our campaign will hinge on the Wales game. Let's face it the most like scenario against England is they pummel us into submission like the will do against most people. They will be on high alert to ensure 2019 game never happens again. As long as we get through that with no major injuries, and show some kind of attacking improvement, it won't be too much of a disaster.

Wales is absolutely crucial - we have to win that. From our PoV hopefully their recent form continues, but you can never rule them out. Hopefully psychologically the barrier has been broken and we can go into that game with confidence. If we win it sets us up nicely to have a good crack away to France - with a week off before and after. If we lose then suddenly we're looking at a very long tournament.

France away has not been a happy hunting ground for us, and usually a game that leads to loads of injuries. We need to not give any cheap penalties away and have a solid set piece - we're not going to have a lot of possession, so we need to limit the easy turnovers as much as possible. This could be an exciting game, and again I just hope not lots of injuries!

Ireland are a bit of a bogey team for us but we did beat them in 2017 at home, so it's not like its ancient history for a lot of the players (compared to say Twickenham or Paris). I suspect Ireland in the 6N will be a lot better than Ireland in the AIs, and this will be a brutal test as always. If we come into this having beaten Wales I'd fancy our chances, but there's so much to happen before this game.

I'd like to hope we're long past the point now that playing Italy at home is a concern to us. We're on 9 in a row against Italy and they haven't beaten us since 2015. Saying that, if we're 0 from 4 by this point I'll definitely be nervous.

So my money's on 2 wins (Wales and Italy) but 3 should definitely be the target. Winning in Twickenham and France is the stuff of fairy land just now and the Ireland game will all depend on what state they're in by that point.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Hazel Sapling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Dec 2020, 9:01 am

Great thread, Shaun. We'll obviously all come on and ruin it now, but it certainly won't be your fault.

I suppose that we're all traditionally optimistic about our prospects come January but I am really not seeing it this year. I agree that 2 wins is the minimum. For me, we absolutely have to stop d!cking about with selection, choose combinations and stick to them for the entire tournament. Hutchison and Micro Horne getting proper game time is a must - I cannot continue with the horse tranquilisers when I see Lang and Harris on the team sheet.

I also want to see Graham and Duhan established as the wing combination. I am not convinced about Blarehorn at all - I just don't see him as test quality. Darcy and vdM are potentially the rapier-hammer combination that could anchor the backline for a decade.

We really have to find an 8 this year too. Du Preez and Thomson at 29 and 30 respectively which means that we can still invest in them for RWC purposes but I have never seen a game where either has dominated the collisions. Ritchie and Sir Mish of Manchester are nailed on, thankfully.

The other reason we need a huge tournament is that I cannot face watching another Lions tour with no Scots in test contention. I need a reason to buy the overpriced blue Lions training top, according to my wife.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 21 Dec 2020, 11:03 am

Got to be aiming for three wins this Six Nations. Managed to get three this year and we have two eminently winnable home games. Going 1 for three against Ireland, England and France should be doable if our pivots, Russell or Hastings, are fit.

As for left field selections, some are going to be born of necessity so will depend on form and fitness. There may be some selections around the fringes like Cowan who are not likely to play. In terms of breaking into the 23 based on what we have at the minute:

- Gary Graham has a shot at becoming our back row cover or even the starting 8

- Christie has the potential to take the starting jersey whilst Vellacott could be added to our Price, G Horne and SHC logjam

- Redpath and Dingwall could be added to the centres if they give up on England, whilst Scott and Bennett could be brought in from the cold. If G Taylor had not been smashed in the face, he might have had a shot but without the Glasgow games it is looking unlikely.

All other positions are fairly settled with some young Scottish based players like Blain to be given the opportunity to train with the squad. Don't think Henderson (Leicester), Ashman (Sale), Chapman (Gloucester) and Marshall (Newcastle) will be called up to hold tackle bags as they have a good opportunity during the Six Nations to get game time.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 21 Dec 2020, 12:19 pm

Only game I'm not worried about is Italy

Now I'm not saying that it won’t be a spoon decider as who knows, Italy may have beaten Wales in the run up to this. However Italy every year start poorly, have a decentish 2nd or 3rd game where they push someone close but then injuries see them putting out lesser quality players in game 4 and 5 where they regularly get pummelled by teams looking to put a score on them for the points difference equation come championship decider time.

And no I'm not saying Scotland could be looking at playing Italy to get 50 points on them to put one hand on the trophy!

England will mash us in the first game. Maybe not hump us score wise but will physically overpower us in every aspect and we limp off the field with a loss or "brave defeat"

Wales, well, current form of their would have us winning this by a good 7 to 10 points at home but they may get their fingers out.

France will do what England do to us but chuck the ball about more in a higher scoring game. They are building for their home world cup and unless we can get a prop to punch Jamie Ritchie again or unless we score against them early and get the crown turning on them, we've really no chance here.

Ireland will just tackle us and kick the ball back to us until we shoot ourselves in the feet (both of them) numerous times. It's a game we can win but we need to win it, we wont have it handed to us. Basically we need to not conspire to lose the game!

There. now I'm away to see if I can get the lorries moving at dover again. Apparently folk want to make sure their imports of Brussel sprouts arrive on time, who cares about the vaccine eh!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Dec 2020, 12:54 pm

Some parts of the team are in much better shape than others.

The centre combo is still not sorted and not right, as is the back row, or No. 8 to be more realistic.

Duncan Taylor may well be our best 12, but he is not going to play much now, so will he even be match fit in February and does Toonie really think he will still be in the starting slot for the next WC?

Harris is not everyone's cup of tea, but he keeps putting in decent performances, for Gloucester (he played well again at the weekend) and for Scotland. For him to lose the shirt, someone needs to put their hand up for it and so far, no-one is. Am hoping that Shuggy finally gets some game time at 13 for Glasgow now that DW seems to have decided Byrce is his preferred FB, otherwise he may have to wait until next season when he seems certain to be playing in the Premiership.

Other than that, we are fairly settled, if still a bit inconsistent. having Finn back will make a huge difference to our attacking shape, we definitely missed both our first choice FHs this autunm.

I am still hopeful that Toonie is on the phone to Redpath junior and Dingwall again to see if they have changed their minds. Both seemed to have dropped down EJs pecking order and there is an awful lot of competition to get back into that squad. There is room for both of them in our squad I think!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:17 pm

BigGee wrote:Some parts of the team are in much better shape than others.

The centre combo is still not sorted and not right, as is the back row, or No. 8 to be more realistic.

Duncan Taylor may well be our best 12, but he is not going to play much now, so will he even be match fit in February and does Toonie really think he will still be in the starting slot for the next WC?

Harris is not everyone's cup of tea, but he keeps putting in decent performances, for Gloucester (he played well again at the weekend) and for Scotland. For him to lose the shirt, someone needs to put their hand up for it and so far, no-one is. Am hoping that Shuggy finally gets some game time at 13 for Glasgow now that DW seems to have decided Byrce is his preferred FB, otherwise he may have to wait until next season when he seems certain to be playing in the Premiership.

Other than that, we are fairly settled, if still a bit inconsistent. having Finn back will make a huge difference to our attacking shape, we definitely missed both our first choice FHs this autunm.

I am still hopeful that Toonie is on the phone to Redpath junior and Dingwall again to see if they have changed their minds. Both seemed to have dropped down EJs pecking order and there is an awful lot of competition to get back into that squad. There is room for both of them in our squad I think!

Doesn't look likely

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55394549

Short term loan to Glasgow?? Would make sense - no point him having nothing to do until March. Same for Maitland!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 22 Dec 2020, 10:10 am

Mark Palmer still has the hotline to Finn, who seems to be on good form and ready to go for the 6N. He does not seem to have any qualms about players moving away from Scotland unsurprisingly.

Interview from the Scottish Times

Sitting a short distance away from the Racing 92 bench on Sunday afternoon, it was easy to imagine the gasps of horror north of the border when Finn Russell sat down with an ice pack wrapped tightly round his right hand.

Having only just returned from the groin/adductor injury that led to him missing the Autumn Nations Cup, the Scotland fly half had delivered a virtuoso 67 minutes in the Parisians’ demolition of Harlequins, but we were all left to wonder if there had been a sting in the tail.

An hour or so later, though, that famous Russell grin was lighting up the early evening behind the Twickenham Stoop as he confirmed no damage had been done.

“I staved my right thumb earlier in the game, it was still a bit sore so the coaches took me off purely as a precaution,” the 28-year-old told The Times. “It’s absolutely fine and the adductor has felt really good in these first two matches back as well. It’s causing me no issues at all.”

Positive news indeed for all those who hope to see Russell strutting his idiosyncratic stuff just across the A316 come the opening weekend of the Six Nations on February 6. Scotland’s first fixture is at Twickenham, where in 2019 Russell inspired them to an improbable draw while claiming his second Calcutta Cup man-of-the-match award in as many years.

He missed last season’s instalment after a dramatic fall-out with head coach Gregor Townsend, but with fences mended, Russell is relishing the prospect of a central role in the 2021 championship, starting with that next visit to London.

“It’s always good to challenge yourself against England, as a Scottish player it’s great to go against them,” he said. “It’s a big Test first up and with it being a Lions year, there will be a lot of players trying to prove themselves and show things. It will be exciting to be back for that, and an exciting Six Nations to be part of as a whole.”

In the first half of his only Test start in 2020, against Wales in Llanelli, Russell suffered a groin tear and was forced to watch the rest of the Scots’ autumn campaign on TV. Townsend’s men continued to show the defensive stoutness that they have been developing since last year’s disastrous World Cup, but they badly lacked the kind of creative spark which Russell is wont to deliver by sleight of hand or boot.

There is a sense that, in seeking to become harder to beat, Scotland have misplaced some of the team’s defining qualities but it is also true that we are making this judgement after a year when their talisman has been on the pitch for a total of 58 minutes.

“Of course it was a shame to get the injury, but these things happen and luckily for me it was only six weeks before I was back in,” Russell said. “I chose not to have surgery, and I was actually back training after three or four weeks, which was a real bonus. It was frustrating to miss out [with Scotland] when I had got back in and was getting used to it again, but I kept in touch with Gregor and the players throughout.

“We’re defending really well and personally I believe that if we can attack a little bit more and be more clinical, we can start getting better results. I don’t believe the Ireland game [which Scotland lost 31-16 on December 5] was a fair reflection of the way we can play and where we are as a group.

“I’m looking forward to adding my knowledge from Racing and seeing how we can progress. I was only there for two weeks in the autumn. In the first week [against Georgia] I was on the bench so I kind of took a step back and let Hasto [Adam Hastings] do his stuff. The second week [Wales], I had more of an influence and input on the team and the play.”

Russell made his comeback in Racing’s first Pool B fixture against Connacht on December 13. He says he could potentially have featured for Scotland in Dublin eight days previously, but that his readiness was not confirmed until too late in the day.

“I probably could have played, but I was at Racing and training there the whole week,” Russell said. “I said to Gregor that I could potentially be back that weekend but I wouldn’t know almost until the day of the captain’s run, it would be that tight. For Gregor to pick a team and get things in place, there wasn’t enough time.

“I ended up doing a full week’s training with Racing, but the adductor could potentially not have been right. We only knew at the end of the week that I was ok to play. It would have been too late for me to go to Ireland and be involved.”

Russell says other Scots should look to move abroad
DAVIID ROGERS/GETTY IMAGES
Last week it was announced that Hastings is to follow Russell out of Scotland, with the 24-year-old set to replace Danny Cipiriani at Gloucester. Russell is a major advocate — and poster boy — for Scottish players testing themselves in other leagues, and hopes there is substance to persistent speculation linking Hamish Watson, his Test colleague, with a move to Racing from Edinburgh.

“I was chatting to him about it all when I was back [in Scotland], so we’ll see,” Russell said. “We’ve got a great back row here, but obviously Hamish is one of the best. I’m not sure exactly what’s happening there [Watson’s future], it could all just be agent talk. We’ll wait and see.

“For me it’s been great to leave, to change things up a little bit. I’ve said to other players to go and experience something different. I think it will be great for Hasto to go down there, control a new team and have to establish himself as a young-ish ten. It will only be good for his experience and for his game.”

Russell has been given the week off, and will not feature in Sunday’s Top 14 game at home to Agen.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Dec 2020, 10:07 pm

It's probably fair to say Finn being fit for us will make the difference between winning 1/2 games and winning 3 games (or more)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 23 Dec 2020, 8:06 am

I still think that we have an over dependency on Finn for attack right now. We shouldn't settle for stodge just because he's not on the pitch. We have other players capable of attacking the line, we should be making the most of them.

As others have said the centre pairing needs to be a priority. It's a shame Scott was dumped from Edinburgh as him and Bennett were looking decent linking up again and both have distribution skills that Harris does not. Shug has also recently shown lovely distribution at Glasgow, not that it matters to Toonie because he's not in the mould of the perfect outside centre, Sean Lamont.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Dec 2020, 8:18 am

A very good point Nelly. Alas it's not something I can see getting sorted between now and the 6N!

Something to work on in the summer when Finn is on the Lions tour... Cool

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 23 Dec 2020, 9:03 am

From the decent showing by our U20s in the spring, Chamberlain and Blain appear to be getting game time at Edinburgh, but what has happened to Ollie Smith?
He seemed like a good prospect for the 15 Jersey.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 25 Dec 2020, 12:55 pm

Merry Christmas to all you lot, hope you're having a lovely day, all circumstances excepted.

Thankyou for helping to make a painful year less painful!

NeilyBroon

bsando and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 25 Dec 2020, 1:40 pm

I echo Nelly's thoughts

Our little sanctuary on here definitely makes life more bearable atm

Happy xmas everyone

BigGee
Admin
Admin

lostinwales, bsando, NeilyBroon, jimbopip and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 25 Dec 2020, 2:25 pm

Merry Christmas to you all,

repeating the above but 606 and, in particular, the scotland threads are good distractions

we have a wee 2 month old and having a christmas at home for the 1st time. Not being able to play rugby at the moment is difficult (never realised how much of a mental health positive/stress relief the game is) but being able to read & comment on rugby has at least been a slight reprieve!

cheers to all!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

NeilyBroon, jimbopip, BigGee and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Dec 2020, 9:45 pm

Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 29 Dec 2020, 9:31 am

3 wins has to be the minimum acceptable. Is that likely?

We should be capable of winning the two home games but will have to be on top form to win one of the others. Ireland is the most likely I would say.

No reason why not tho - get the back row balance right, get the centre combos right, get Finn with a smile on his face and we can beat anyone. With the team we have we should be looking to be challenging for the 6N win

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 07 Jan 2021, 9:33 am

I’d like to see Scotland do better in Paris, it’s always been a forgone conclusion and injuries seem to often play a part in the teams that have been available. With no crowds it may be more feasible to pick up an away win.

Three from five would be a good result but ideally I think we all just want to see Scotland attack with a bit more venom. Opportunist VDM try’s may be spectacular to watch but well constructed team try’s would be far better.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Jan 2021, 12:02 am

For my money this 6 Nations comes down to selection. England and France are better than us, with better players, so we'll need to do something special to beat them. However, home against the others, we ought to be thinking seriously about three wins. No reason why we can't win the home games.

This is the team we need:

1.Sutherland 2.McInally 3. Z. Fagerson 4.J Gray 5.Cummings 6.Ritchie 7.Watson 8.M Fagerson 9.Price 10.Russell 11.Duhan 12.D Taylor 13.H Jones 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Nel 17.Turner 18.Kebble 19.Gilchrist 20.Bradbury 21.G Horne 21.Hastings 22.Kinghorn

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:06 am

With the return to form of big Ritchie could we play both Grays in the second row and could Scott Cummings play 8? Left feild suggestion but we seem to be stuggling for a 8

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 08 Jan 2021, 10:48 am

Cummings is an excellent young lock with the potential to be a fringe Lions candidate. He is staying at lock. If we are looking at a lock to no. 8 option, Skinner is already halfway there. Ideally Bradbury puts his hand up though M Fagerson has looked better of late and Gary Graham could be a good bench option

In terms of FES's side, I reckon

Gilchrist does not work well with J Gray. If R Gray is fit and does alright over the next two - three weeks, he is the next cab up to compete with Skinner. R Gray is a set piece lock at this point and works well with both his brother and Cummings. In terms of offering a higher ceiling, Gilchrist is the least ambitious of the three

S Johnson has been playing well enough that 12 is not a foregone conclusion and partnered H Jones very effectively when both burst on the scene. That may be a training competition with D Taylor who could be a candidate for the 23 shirt

Is Hastings going to be fit for the Six Nations? If not, Hutchinson would be interesting as Russell will probably need to play 80 for us to beat Ireland, England or France without Hastings. Drop Kinghorn for Graham and there is an attacking bench

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Fri 08 Jan 2021, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot about Gary Graham)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 08 Jan 2021, 10:54 am

The problem with Taylor is he is unlikely to play a game befoe the 6N. Given his injury record that may be no bad thing, but he isn't going to be match fit for.6N intensity.

Hastings isn't going to be for for the start of the 6N.

Cummings is a lock, not an 8.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 08 Jan 2021, 11:02 am

Sarries have actually lined up a series of friendlies running up to the start of the championship st the begining of march.

Certainly not test match intensity, but Taylor and Msitland should at least get a run out.

It will be interesting to see how this effects the English Sarries players as well and may actually help us seeing as we play them first.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Jan 2021, 5:20 pm

Yeah, I like a bit of bold thinking but let's shelve the Cummings at 8 idea!

I'd still go with Taylor to be honest, so long as he's fully fit. He's such a complete player and exactly what we need at 12. I'd take the risk.

VDW covers 10 from the bench whilst Hastings recovers.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Jan 2021, 5:33 pm

Just on 8, it certainly is a problem position for us but I wouldn't over think it. Fagerson is a competent high energy player, and getting regular game time for Glasgow. I'd stick with him until someone else put up a hand (hopefully Bradbury).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Fri 08 Jan 2021, 6:35 pm

I think George Horne is out for a couple of months, so can"t see him making the bench in the 6N.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 08 Jan 2021, 6:55 pm

On form Graham is probably first choice now but as he’s been out of the frame so I doubt he’ll start. I’m expecting him to be called up though. It looks like it’ll just be nice to see the games go ahead tbh.

I think Maitland and Taylor would be good options to start, they have the experience to get up to speed for international rugby. Especially Maitland who rarely has a bad game for Scotland.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 09 Jan 2021, 7:19 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:I think George Horne is out for a couple of months, so can"t see him making the bench in the 6N.

I'd be quite keen on Sam H-C on the bench in which case.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 09 Jan 2021, 9:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Anglobraveheart wrote:I think George Horne is out for a couple of months, so can"t see him making the bench in the 6N.

He would be the next cab off the rank and presumably Scott Steele will be the 3SH in the squad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 09 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

He would be the next cab off the rank and presumably Scott Steele will be the 3SH in the squad.
I think that's the natural succession until Dobie comes through, but he has lots of time to develop his potential talent.
I hope that SRU/Glasgow can come to an agreement to use Dobie in the U20s squad, so that they have a strong squad. It will do him and the U20s a lot of good.
Glasgow are having a transitional year, so there is no point in Dobie being dragged into arm wrestle between Pro14 second teams in the 6N windows.
Personally I feel it would be better for him to set the Heather on fire in the U20s. Better option all round. IMO.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sat 09 Jan 2021, 10:58 pm

Lots of calls on Twitter, one from our friends at the Thistle Rugby Podcast, to get Redpath capped.

Surely they do know the meaning of the words "that boat has sailed", either that or they all think EJ will keep snubbing him.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

Redpath could still change his mind tbf. I don't think he'd be a bad addition right now but it is moot if he has Harris outside him. I still doubt he'll plump for Scotland. Our game is hardly a good advertisement for any potential players at the moment. Get hutch and bennett back in imo. Dingwall still hasn't been capped as well so may be worth pursuing.

I'd like to see Gary Graham back in place of Haining. Similar players but I'd say Graham is more consistent. I think haining is injured anyway so will be a good switch. Agree with others that we should persist with Fagerson and not try to shoehorn others into the 8 slot. I think the Bradbury ship has sailed. He reminds me a lot of Johnnie Beattie. A lot of unfulfilled potential talent. I can't see him changing now he's a relatively senior player. Fagerson at least has time to develop.

Also agree that SHC should be next off the cab rank, although I'd argue he should be starting over price who is very very meh at the moment. SHC has the same game but executed a lot better.

Rest of the squad picks itself really. It's a shame none of our players are on good form right now with the exception of Finn maybe.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:51 am

Redpath has fallen down the pecking order in England now. Injuries, the acrimonious move away from Sale and the emergence of Lawrence would mean it would be surprising if he were to make the England squad for this 6N.

It is probably unlikely though, as he would have to swallow his pride having pinned his colours to the England mast previously. Still Toonie would not be doing his job if he did not sound him out again. He is a very good player and could be our answer to the 12 conundrum.

I am sure GG will be back in the squad this 6N. I watched the Newcastle game yesterday and he was very good. That does not make him a genuine international No.8 though, even if he is the best that we might have.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 10 Jan 2021, 11:09 am

BigGee wrote:Redpath has fallen down the pecking order in England now. Injuries, the acrimonious move away from Sale and the emergence of Lawrence would mean it would be surprising if he were to make the England squad for this 6N.

It is probably unlikely though, as he would have to swallow his pride having pinned his colours to the England mast previously. Still Toonie would not be doing his job if he did not sound him out again. He is a very good player and could be our answer to the 12 conundrum.

I am sure GG will be back in the squad this 6N. I watched the Newcastle game yesterday and he was very good. That does not make him a genuine international No.8 though, even if he is the best that we might have.

I think the last times he played for Scotland he showed up well and has been unlucky not to be called up more. I reckon he'd do well off the bench at 8.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 10 Jan 2021, 11:25 am

He can play right accross the back row, so would be a very good sub

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 10 Jan 2021, 5:02 pm

Well Scott Steele started for Quins today against LI and played well, scoring a try. The other Scot's at Quins also had decent games. Lang was having an all action game at 12 before coming off after a head knock and the unsung hero, Glen Young, who plays well down there week in week out without any recognition was also typically solid.

You can see why Toonie has been looking at Steele and Lang will be a solid addition for Edinburgh and may well still be an option for the 12 shirt this 6N.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sun 10 Jan 2021, 7:06 pm

Cameron Redpath looked the real deal for Bath. 12 is the big opening in our backline and he may well be the answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 10 Jan 2021, 8:09 pm

BigGee wrote:Well Scott Steele started for Quins today against LI and played well, scoring a try. The other Scot's at Quins also had decent games. Lang was having an all action game at 12 before coming off after a head knock and the unsung hero, Glen Young, who plays well down there week in week out without any recognition was also typically solid.

You can see why Toonie has been looking at Steele and Lang will be a solid addition for Edinburgh and may well still be an option for the 12 shirt this 6N.
Is Lang confirmed as going to Edinburgh?
I'm a bit lost in the rumours and confirmed reality.
For the national side I would love to see Russell, Taylor, Jones as the 10, 12, 13 axis. With Hastings ( when fit) and Hutchison on the bench.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 10 Jan 2021, 8:45 pm

Lang not confirmed but allegedly a done deal.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Jan 2021, 5:25 am

Are we honestly optimistic about the 6N? Hornetto being out has really kicked me in the nuts as I was really looking forward to seeing him run riot.

What do we really think will happen? 2 wins and then damage limitation against the rest?

Do we think that any of the other nations are in a position where if one player (Russell) gets crocked, we are immediately reduced to playing at 75% of our max?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jan 2021, 5:35 am

There is so much uncertainty just now that I don't think we really know what the hell will happen in the 6N. Given the relative lack of form that our players currently have I'm not massively optimistic. As such 2 wins and decent performances elsewhere - particularly showing improvements in attack - and I think it will be a case of "that could have been better, we survived that, let's move on and try an build properly" from the summer. 3 wins would be outstanding and unlikely. Anything more than that would be a miracle.

If we've got Italy coming at the end of the tournament for the wooden spoon playoff I'd be really disappointed though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 11 Jan 2021, 8:29 am

I’ve been saying for months that while 3 wins is a target I’m not sure that it’s realistic with where we are.

Wins over Italy and wales are probable, England and France will mash us their backyards. This leaves Ireland where if we play well and it’s a case of Ireland play better then it’s realistically pass marks. If we conspire to hand the game to Ireland again then we’re not learning our lessons.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 11 Jan 2021, 8:54 am

I guess any side with a player like Russell would be in trouble if he got injured GC. He’s the favourite to start at ten for the Lions now going by every pundits Lions XV.

Despite the recent internationals and delayed 6N it feels less certain than post France back in March. It looked like they’d found a good formula back then but that seems to have relapsed into error strewn and ill disciplined performances.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 11 Jan 2021, 9:51 am

Pundits may be calling for Russell but he's simply not a Gatland 10.

Farell Sexton and Biggar will be in the mix for starting lions 10. Russell could be a bench option outside that to mix things up if the game plan isnt going well.

It will also come down to how he and Scotland get on on the 6Ns. We all know finn can have a grea half but then a honking half. He needs to cut that inconsistancy out if he wants to be thought of as a Lions starter.

We also need to wait to see if the Lions will even go ahead Sad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 11 Jan 2021, 10:24 am

Without derailing this into a Lions discussion, I think Gatland will pick Russell, I've heard that argument a lot on here from various people, but form and consistency can override any coaches opinion of a player. Sexton and Biggar are not in the equation in my opinion, both getting on now and are limited in what they can do. That sounds harsh but they've both had their time and both were great players back in 2017 deserving of their places and the game time they got. I wouldn't be fussed if the tour is postponed if crowds can't attend, empty stadiums take away so much from the game. Need to get that vaccine circulating!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 11 Jan 2021, 10:51 am

Oh there's no dount that Russell on his game is better than sexton and Biggar right now but Sexton is regarded as a safe pair of hands and Biggar is one of Gatland's golden children

Sadly I think the Lions tour is just a month or two too early and it will either not go ahead or will be in the UK with limited numbers of fans being allowed to go. Really they should look at postpoining it to 2022. It may knock the rugby calender out a bit but hey ho!

But anyway - Yes, Scotland are too reliant on A) Finn playing and B) Finn playing well
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 11 Jan 2021, 11:32 am

tigertattie wrote:Oh there's no dount that Russell on his game is better than sexton and Biggar right now but Sexton is regarded as a safe pair of hands and Biggar is one of Gatland's golden children

Sadly I think the Lions tour is just a month or two too early and it will either not go ahead or will be in the UK with limited numbers of fans being allowed to go. Really they should look at postpoining it to 2022. It may knock the rugby calender out a bit but hey ho!

But anyway - Yes, Scotland are too reliant on A) Finn playing and B) Finn playing well

Agree on Biggar though the last time I saw him, he was excellent for Northampton. Don't watch the club enough to know if that is how he is doing at club level week to week but with Hutchinson outside him as a secondary playmaker, it worked really well. With Farrell the favourite to start in the 12 jersey, it may be a factor in going for Biggar

Agree on Sexton as well though he is looking increasingly on the wane. He is clearly slowing down and would not be surprised to see Ireland moving on from him next season. I would not be surprised to see him go on tour or equally that he is injured and can't go.

Going fire with fire against South Africa seems silly but Gatland has his way of playing and he will have to evolve to use Russell effectively.

Russell is integral to Scotland because his level of creativity relieves the centres of having to do much playmaking. Hastings can just about get away with it as he has developed. The problem is that Weir and VDW are not on that level and need some help from a H Jones or Hutchinson.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 11 Jan 2021, 1:19 pm

tigertattie wrote:Oh there's no dount that Russell on his game is better than sexton and Biggar right now but Sexton is regarded as a safe pair of hands and Biggar is one of Gatland's golden children

Biggar. There was that Lions tour (Gatlands 1st?) where all of the Wales team went except for one guy. Biggar stayed home

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

Yes, I'm not sure Biggar is a Gatland favourite. Didn't he go with Anscombe over him at the last WC as well?

Farrell will go, nailed on, and I think it's two from Russell, Biggar, Sexton and Ford. I'd personally pick Ford and Russell, because I think Biggar is basically a lesser version of Farrell and Sexton is over the hill, and Ford and Russell are the better footballers anyway, but bear in mind I have horrible form in predicting squad selections!

Speaking of which, I saw Barnes picked Rory Hutchinson for the Lions, bless his cotton socks. Anyway seen a pundit pick Chris Harris yet??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Thu 14 Jan 2021, 5:17 am

Anyone fancy hazarding a guess at what the team may be :-P

Anyone caught the eye perhaps? Could we see new caps? Anyone likely to return to the fold, Huw Jones or Rory Hutchinson perhaps Wink?

Strangely enough, we are over 3wks away from Twickenham and, already England dealt a blow, Mr Sinckler is banned.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next