The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:00 am

First topic message reminder :

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Posts : 173
Join date : 2019-03-10

Back to top Go down


Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Wed 17 Mar 2021, 6:42 pm

We have until June/July (I am fairly certain we play Georgia and Romania around then even though I've not seen it confirmed anywhere) to try and persuade Christie to choose us over New Zealand :P.


Highland Shaun

Posts : 173
Join date : 2019-03-10

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by RDW Sat 20 Mar 2021, 10:37 pm

So France have to absolutely horse us next week to win the championship. Thank feck we have all our players available!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30824
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by TJ Sat 20 Mar 2021, 10:38 pm

Or scotland win by 6 pts and we go second in the table

TJ

Posts : 7940
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by tigertattie Sat 20 Mar 2021, 11:45 pm

TJ wrote:Or scotland win by 6 pts and we go second in the table

Minor point but we need to win by 8 points to stop France getting a LBP. Also if they score 4 tries for a BP they’ll be above us even if we win unless we also get a BP
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8411
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by RDW Sat 20 Mar 2021, 11:52 pm

I think TJ is right - if we win by 6 points we'll both be on 16 points but will have a better points difference.

Unless BPs count first?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30824
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Sat 20 Mar 2021, 11:58 pm

I think we just need to focus on winning :P.

We ain't going to finish any lower than 4th anyway so that 4th, 4th and 4th in our last 3 competitions (6Ns 2020 and 2021 plus ANC 2020).

Highland Shaun

Posts : 173
Join date : 2019-03-10

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by tigertattie Sun 21 Mar 2021, 12:39 am

They are on 15. We’re on 11

If we win by 6 points and no one gets 4 tries we’ll go to 15 points too but they’ll get a LBP and move to 16

tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8411
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Mar 2021, 5:19 pm

Hastings did not have a great game for Glasgow this afternoon. He picked up a YC again for a high tackle and then tried to force far to much. I would not be picking him for Scotland next week, I think he is a bit all over the place just now and probably needs to get down to Gloucester and settle down there with some steady game time before coming back into the reckoning. Hoggy can carry on covering FH, he seems to do it well enough.

Frazer Brown on the other hand had a decent game and played the whole 80 mins, he certainly looks fit enough.

Hard to see him starting though on a 5 day turnaround but he could easily be on the bench, maybe instead of Turner. In all honesty, Cherry did enough to keep his place.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11661
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by TJ Mon 22 Mar 2021, 7:41 am

tattie is right - we need to win either with 4 tries and / or a 8 pt winning margin not 6 to prevent france getting a losing bonus point

Second place is there for us

TJ

Posts : 7940
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by bsando Mon 22 Mar 2021, 8:08 am

BigGee wrote:Hastings did not have a great game for Glasgow this afternoon. He picked up a YC again for a high tackle and then tried to force far to much. I would not be picking him for Scotland next week, I think he is a bit all over the place just now and probably needs to get down to Gloucester and settle down there with some steady game time before coming back into the reckoning. Hoggy can carry on covering FH, he seems to do it well enough.

Frazer Brown on the other hand had a decent game and played the whole 80 mins, he certainly looks fit enough.

Hard to see him starting though on a 5 day turnaround but he could easily be on the bench, maybe instead of Turner. In all honesty, Cherry did enough to keep his place.

At his best he is very similar player to Ntamack, but as you say he has had a strange period of injury and match bans recently so that sounds like a sensible idea to me.

According to everyone else on these boards Scotland are just going to show up and get pumped apparently. Which players need big games to impress Gatland? I thought Price was out of contention after Ireland but his break and offload for DVDM against Italy reminded us what he can be like when the game is looser. I would have him starting ahead of Steele this week.

1. Sutherland
2. Cherry
3. Fagerson
4. Skinner
5. Gray
6. Ritchie
7. Watson
8. Haining (to wind up Mohamed Haouas)
9. Price
10. Russell
11. DVDM
12. Johnson
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

16. Turner, 17. Kebble, 18. Nel, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Fagerson, 21. Steele, 22. Lang, 23. Graham

bsando

Posts : 3445
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 32
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by TJ Mon 22 Mar 2021, 8:20 am

I just do not get the love for Hastings. I watched the Glasgow game last night and he seemed to be playing much like he always does. getting held up and turning the ball over and making poor passes.

IMO he should be nowhere near the Scotland side. Russell, VDW, Weir all much more accomplished players.

Hastings makes more mistakes than Russell but without his genius to make up for it

TJ

Posts : 7940
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by R!skysports Mon 22 Mar 2021, 10:02 am

bsando wrote:
BigGee wrote:Hastings did not have a great game for Glasgow this afternoon. He picked up a YC again for a high tackle and then tried to force far to much. I would not be picking him for Scotland next week, I think he is a bit all over the place just now and probably needs to get down to Gloucester and settle down there with some steady game time before coming back into the reckoning. Hoggy can carry on covering FH, he seems to do it well enough.

Frazer Brown on the other hand had a decent game and played the whole 80 mins, he certainly looks fit enough.

Hard to see him starting though on a 5 day turnaround but he could easily be on the bench, maybe instead of Turner. In all honesty, Cherry did enough to keep his place.

At his best he is very similar player to Ntamack, but as you say he has had a strange period of injury and match bans recently so that sounds like a sensible idea to me.

According to everyone else on these boards Scotland are just going to show up and get pumped apparently. Which players need big games to impress Gatland? I thought Price was out of contention after Ireland but his break and offload for DVDM against Italy reminded us what he can be like when the game is looser. I would have him starting ahead of Steele this week.

1. Sutherland
2. Cherry
3. Fagerson
4. Skinner
5. Gray
6. Ritchie
7. Watson
8. Haining (to wind up Mohamed Haouas)
9. Price
10. Russell
11. DVDM
12. Johnson
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

16. Turner, 17. Kebble, 18. Nel, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Fagerson, 21. Steele, 22. Lang, 23. Graham

Don't think it matters really - unless we pump France.

Scottish players seem to get discounted on one poor performance

R!skysports

Posts : 3579
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Oakdene Mon 22 Mar 2021, 11:36 am

I think a big game from DVDM could see him sneak into Lions contention, he is a talent but needs to have a good game against France.

Oakdene

Posts : 225
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by bsando Mon 22 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm

https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status/1374068035217199117?s=20

Mark Palmer insinuating 5 players released from premiership for a six figure sum (Hogg, Steele, Craig, Skinner and Harris)

bsando

Posts : 3445
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 32
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by RDW Mon 22 Mar 2021, 9:10 pm

Hope we're not footing the bill!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30824
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 16 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum