The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

+44
whatahitson
No9
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
alive555
eirebilly
king_carlos
Highland Shaun
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Cyril
majesticimperialman
Heaf
doctor_grey
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
nickj
takethelongroad
flyhalffactory
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
EST
Mcsweens
demosthenes
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Geordie
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
bsando
TJ
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RDW
48 posters

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 5 Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:00 am

First topic message reminder :

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 28 Jan 2021, 6:40 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agree with Graham, Watson and Fagerson, with Ritchie possibly out. All in good form and the Calcutta Cup isn't the fixture to be taking risks with fitness.

I'm now immune to optimism in Scottish Rugby. 30 years of dedicated support has generated a vaccine with 100% success....

🤣

Having only been a supporter for half that time I think I got a double dose of that vaccine starting out with Matt Williams' golden era. At least you've seen Scottish success!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Jan 2021, 7:45 pm

This is true, I was too wee in 1990 to remember it clearly, but I do have very fond memories of 1999 and went to both home games.

One of the quirks of 1999 was that the midfield trio behind the success (Townsend/Leslie/Tait) wasn't actually picked start. Telfer went with Hodge at 10, and was forced into moving Toonie by an early injury to Hodge. Maybe Toonie, the beneficiary in that tournament being moved back to 10 from 13 (can you believe Telfer benched Tait??), will be lucky again and have fate sort out his ropey midfield selections....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 28 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:This is true, I was too wee in 1990 to remember it clearly, but I do have very fond memories of 1999 and went to both home games.

One of the quirks of 1999 was that the midfield trio behind the success (Townsend/Leslie/Tait) wasn't actually picked start. Telfer went with Hodge at 10, and was forced into moving Toonie by an early injury to Hodge. Maybe Toonie, the beneficiary in that tournament being moved back to 10 from 13 (can you believe Telfer benched Tait??), will be lucky again and have fate sort out his ropey midfield selections....

Did I ever mention that I was at Twickenham in 1983 and Murrayfield in 1990!

Ok, maybe once or twice Yahoo Yahoo

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Jan 2021, 8:18 pm

I believe Jimbo was at Raeburn Place in 1871...

funnyExiledScot

RDW, bsando, NeilyBroon, BigGee and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 29 Jan 2021, 4:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I believe Jimbo was at Raeburn Place in 1871...

Harsh

But possibly true
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 29 Jan 2021, 5:59 pm

Sru released the usual social media videos of training... Looked like Dobie was quite involved... Is there going to be a Toonie spinball in the works? Steele's not injured is he??

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 29 Jan 2021, 9:37 pm

Watched the 2nd half of Bristol v Bath where Redpath came on as a sub. He had some nice touches, but hard to do much with Bath getting humped and utterly outplayed.

He can kick off both feet and got close with a jackal a few times - we haven't really had that presence in midfield since Dunbar.

I suspect Taylor will be starting with him coming off the bench, but it will be good to see what he can do

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 30 Jan 2021, 2:52 pm

tigertattie wrote:

Harsh

But possibly true

Still eagerly awaiting Jimbo's response to this Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 5 1347041234

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 30 Jan 2021, 3:01 pm

RDW wrote:Watched the 2nd half of Bristol v Bath where Redpath came on as a sub. He had some nice touches, but hard to do much with Bath getting humped and utterly outplayed.

He can kick off both feet and got close with a jackal a few times - we haven't really had that presence in midfield since Dunbar.

I suspect Taylor will be starting with him coming off the bench, but it will be good to see what he can do

Semi Radradra's try was outrageous!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 30 Jan 2021, 5:46 pm

Three Scots on the try sheet today, Weir, Gray and Hutch.

Still surprised hutch hasn't been involved but I guess it's Covid related. Even still I think he'd be an asset, perhaps moreso than Lang. Hopefully Toonie will give him a chance, it'd be a shame to waste his talents.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 30 Jan 2021, 6:29 pm

I'm not saying that Jim is getting on a bit but the first time he saw a live game, the scoreboard was in Roman numerals.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

RDW and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 30 Jan 2021, 7:22 pm

I was playing in a Vet's tournament once and the opposition winger scored in the corner after showing a turn of speed that was two levels above everyone else on the pitch ( four above me); "Ref, did you look at his birth certificate?" Our captain asked.
" Yes I did. It was written on parchment. " was his reply.

jimbopip

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 31 Jan 2021, 8:11 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Three Scots on the try sheet today, Weir, Gray and Hutch.

Still surprised hutch hasn't been involved but I guess it's Covid related. Even still I think he'd be an asset, perhaps moreso than Lang. Hopefully Toonie will give him a chance, it'd be a shame to waste his talents.

He was excellent against Gloucester. 2 assists including a cross field kick, plus a well taken try of his own.

He's a supremely talented player. I think if Russell is ever not playing we need Hutchinson in the centre.

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:06 am

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:13 am

RDW wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:Three Scots on the try sheet today, Weir, Gray and Hutch.

He was excellent against Gloucester. 2 assists including a cross field kick, plus a well taken try of his own.

He's a supremely talented player. I think if Russell is ever not playing we need Hutchinson in the centre.

I reckon we should be looking to Hutchinson to replace Taylor. I'm a big Taylor fan and he is a great player but doesn't have the same longevity, plus is an injury magnet. Imagine having both Hutchinson and redpath in the 23 with a fair few caps between them by 2023.

With Harris at OC I'd argue it gives us more flexibility at inside centre because we're looking less for a defensive link and more an attacker. Russell can't be the sole playmaker in the squad!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 31 Jan 2021, 12:22 pm

I'm constantly surprised at Hutch not being involved, he looks every inch a Toonie player - by some distance better than Lang IMO.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 31 Jan 2021, 1:00 pm

He is certainly a different player to Lang, who is more physical and probably better defensively.

I think we can probably reserve judgement on Lang till we see more of him. In an Edinburgh shirt next year.

He dose not seem to excite the fans so much, but the coaches seem to love him which may tell us something!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 31 Jan 2021, 2:23 pm

BigGee wrote:He is certainly a different player to Lang, who is more physical and probably better defensively.

I think we can probably reserve judgement on Lang till we see more of him. In an Edinburgh shirt next year.

He dose not seem to excite the fans so much, but the coaches seem to love him  which may tell us something!

Yeah, from what i've seen of Lang he is very steady and, much like Harris, doesn't make many errors in defence. Obviously Toonie has made defence a priority since the WC, perhaps he thinks two x-factor players in the backline is enough?

Not many players can do what Hutchison can though - a ball playing 12/13 with a searing outside break is a rare combination.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 31 Jan 2021, 2:38 pm

Maybe if Redpath nails down the 12 shirt, which seems likely, Toonie might be more inclined to roll the dice at 13

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 31 Jan 2021, 3:02 pm

Hutchinson did also made a poor missed tackle in the highlights reel of that game, but his attacking game looked very sharp! He is as Dan Biggar said, another first-five eighth.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 31 Jan 2021, 4:14 pm

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/huw-jones-saturday-interview-right-away-i-was-worried-i-might-become-flash-pan-3118178

Nice interview with Huw Jones. Just makes you wish Toonie had picked him for the World Cup instead of Taylor who was still coming back from injury and didn't end up playing a huge part in it. He might have bounced back and got himself to where he is now a whole year and a half earlier, even if he had only been benching instead of starting ahead of Harris.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sun 31 Jan 2021, 5:34 pm

bsando wrote:https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/huw-jones-saturday-interview-right-away-i-was-worried-i-might-become-flash-pan-3118178

Nice interview with Huw Jones. Just makes you wish Toonie had picked him for the World Cup instead of Taylor who was still coming back from injury and didn't end up playing a huge part in it. He might have bounced back and got himself to where he is now a whole year and a half earlier, even if he had only been benching instead of starting ahead of Harris.

I always get a feeling that Jones plays himself into contention for the start of the international series. Then after one game Toonie sticks Harris in ahead of him. He loses his confidence and we're back to square one. The Dave Rennie comment on X-Factor players is a really disappointing one. I've always felt Scotland are best when they have Russell on the front foot and the defence know that they have Hogg and Jones to keep an eye on. Hogg often gets marked out of games, that won't be so easy if we have DTH and Jones on the pitch.
I'm really excited for the game on Saturday, not because I think we'll win because England are very good and we've seen too many defeats there to get ahead of ourselves. Rather because for the first time I can recall we have a backline of fully fit, exciting players potentially. I'd love it if Townsend got the balls to stick Russell, Maitland, Redpath, Jones, DTH and Hogg out there. Obviously with England's pack it will be hard to get them on the front foot but if they did it could be special. Obviously I expect Lang and Harris will both start but we can dream.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 31 Jan 2021, 6:04 pm

Hah well Lang scored today in a thrashing of Wasps so he might get to start at 12 as you say, but bench spot seems likely.

Going by the Autumn Nations Cup England were very blunt and canny about the way they played. It might be in Scotland's interest to try and create a bit of the old controlled mayhem that was often the game plan in seasons past. Getting drawn into England's way of playing will only result in one outcome (hint, it's not a Scottish victory.)

Having Gray back is hugely valuable at line out time where Itoje would usually rule. Having a competitive scrum and front row is going to help a lot and ensure Scotland can create attacking platforms. It's hard to tell what we'll see on Saturday, I just hope the plan is a good one and we see the unforced errors and ill-discipline drastically reduced from the ANC.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sun 31 Jan 2021, 6:14 pm

I think the start is crucial. It seems likely that up to a third of the England team will be playing their first game in months. Putting out at a team of harem scarem up and at 'ems could stop them getting into any kind of rhythm. Especially if Russell has one of his Midas days. I think Ritchie, Graham and Watson could make one of the most niggly back rows in rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sun 31 Jan 2021, 7:03 pm

I watched the 2006 victory on DVD last night where we were excellent defensively and England were pretty toothless.

We weren't fancied that day according to commentator John Beattie due to England's "World Cup" pack or team.

What I'm trying to say is, we have not been favourites to win on many occasions so we can do it, in fact I'd say this is exactly like 2006 where hardly anyone is backing us and England have a world class (maybe that's not accurate lol) team.

Ps, sorry for getting your hopes up haha.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 31 Jan 2021, 7:10 pm

Trying to keep myself from getting too excited about squad announcement. With Toonie it's always the important decisions that are the most disappointing at the moment.

Oh well I'd say about 75-80% of the starting 15 picks itself. Open positions are 6 (assuming Ritchie is still not fit), 12, 13 and a wing.

I'd start with
Sutherland
Turner
Fagerson
Gray (I'd get Cummings on in the second half, I think we need to attack their set piece from the start and Gray has looked the part)
Gray Jr (he starts, he's not an impact sub)
Graham
Watson
Fagerson

Price
Russell

Redpath
Jones (pie in the sky stuff, I know)

Vdm
Maitland
Hogg (c)

Subs: Cherry, Kebble, Nel, Cummings, Thomson, Steele, VdW, Harris

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 01 Feb 2021, 12:00 pm

Cummings has possibly been our form 2nd row for a year now so I'd not drop him over Ritchie G (as talented as big Ritchie is)

Cummings and Jnr Gray to start with big Ritchie on the bench?

I'd also have G Graham at 8 with Jamie Ritchie on at 6 and Matt F on the bench.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 01 Feb 2021, 12:46 pm

tigertattie wrote:Cummings has possibly been our form 2nd row for a year now so I'd not drop him over Ritchie G (as talented as big Ritchie is)

Cummings and Jnr Gray to start with big Ritchie on the bench?

I'd also have G Graham at 8 with Jamie Ritchie on at 6 and Matt F on the bench.

Probably a reasonable argument to start the Glasgow second row pairing, especially with their familiarity with Turner. They will both be fresh as well, JG having played on saturday then will have to travel north.

GG played on sunday, so that might count against him starting as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Feb 2021, 1:01 pm

Good Morning / Afternoon Shipmates

flyhalffactory here or "FHF" to friends, "You Miserable Barsteward" to others, it's great to be back after almost a decade of been away

We need to cautiously confident, we have three home games, we have some seriously great talent coming through and but for a few mindfarts (Hoggy) we might have won all our 6Ns games last year.

So in my mind
1. We have to be mentally awake from the start, historically we have conceded points in that first couple of mins
2. We have three home games so the England game is going to be the make or break game, our game with Fin at 10 is more suited to the England than France, so we have to win this
3. We will not win the arm wrestle against England, the pack must be 100% and we must be defensively sound, so a midfield of Russell/Redpath/Harris has to start
4. First 20 mins give Finn the licence to create havoc and get Redpath or Hutchinson in to give him options
I'm a massive Cummings fan, he has to start, the only question should be which Gray is next to him. I would bring Richie on after 55 mins. I am also a massive Harris fan, he gets bad press from us fans but for me after Finn he is the next name on the sheet.
5. The bench will win the games

1. Sutherland
2. Turner
3. Fagerson Z
4. Cummings
5. Gray J
6. Ritchie
7. Watson
8. Graham
9. Price
10. Russell
11. Maitland
12. Redpath
13. Harris
14. VDM
15. Hogg

Bench (much harder to pick)
Keeble
Cherry
Nel
Gray R
Blade / Fagerson
Steele
VDW
Hutchinson / Lang / Jones H

We can do this!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 01 Feb 2021, 1:56 pm

Welcome back FHF

I like your team, I think it would be mine as well, except no Hutch, not because I don't rate him, more that he is not in the squad!

Shuggy has to in there somewhere and as Harris and Hoggy are nailed on, then the bench it is!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Feb 2021, 2:21 pm

Cheers BigGee

Nice to be back

Oh yes Hutch in not in the squad...

Graham and Lang scored tries yesterday which is good!. I like Langs versatility can play 10/12/13, he's a big lump, good in defence but no slouch, I think Jones might creep in ahead of him on the bench though.

Here we go!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Mon 01 Feb 2021, 5:02 pm

Been mulling on this from afar, been quite busy with covid and the like but keeping well and I hope you all are doing as well as can be.

A few thoughts. In the autumn and when matches restarted I thought Edin and Glasgow looked under-conditioned when compared to the Irish sides in particular and that bore out when we played Ireland in the last round. Time has passed since then and now I think it affects England the most, competitive matches do matter at this level and the Saracens component will not be at the level they are used to being deployed at. That and the various injuries, withdrawls and bans means that a more callow squad is available for England in the first round. Everyone (else) has forgotten what Scotland with Finn looks like and no-one has seen if he can click with VDM in the same way as with TT at racing. FWIW I think he will. My worry is hooker as nerves and inexperience have previously been problematic on lineout ball in the past and the back row. Fagerson has never shown me any reason to be confident in his play, I have watched for years and seen adequate performances in the league but never anything that suggests a canny rugby brain, decent carrying against proper defences or any guile in the maul. I don’t have an answer here but hope GG steps up as we are rudderless without a good 8. Overall with some luck we can win in Twickenham, and this is a good opportunity to do so. I would include Maitland over graham for now despite the lack of gametime I mentioned earlier as his rugby brain is very cultured and offers much more in defence (positioning in particular) that DG. His time will come. We can beat Wales, Ireland is the litmus test and heaven knows where France are concerned. Let’s watch and enjoy.

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 01 Feb 2021, 5:26 pm

Highland Shaun wrote:I watched the 2006 victory on DVD last night where we were excellent defensively and England were pretty toothless.

We weren't fancied that day according to commentator John Beattie due to England's "World Cup" pack or team.

What I'm trying to say is, we have not been favourites to win on many occasions so we can do it, in fact I'd say this is exactly like 2006 where hardly anyone is backing us and England have a world class (maybe that's not accurate lol) team.

Ps, sorry for getting your hopes up haha.

From what I recall England were in the middle of quite the slump at the time. I think the front five is the only place that they were clearly ahead of us looking at that team. I don't think England beat us at Murrayfield between 2004 and 2012.

There are similarities though. Farrell was pretty poor in the autumn and I don't think there's any reason to suspect he'll be better. Russell against Farrell is always fascinating. Difference is that this time Russell has been playing week in week out in an incredibly competitive league.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Feb 2021, 5:53 pm

Pretty spot on from Fraser
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55881261

Forget about the past record, that doesn't matter a jot, we just can't be asleep in those first few minutes
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2021, 8:59 pm

They're all coming out of the woodwork! Welcome back FHF and take the long road.

RDW
Founder
Founder

takethelongroad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Feb 2021, 9:00 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 02 Feb 2021, 1:18 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/01/gregor-townsend-scotland-rugby-six-nations-england-twickenham

Very interesting to hear Toonie say Scotland flopped vs Ireland in the RWC because he made a change to their routine before the game and got them too fired up emotionally. It sounds daft but watching that match you can see something wasn't right, it was a shockingly bad performance in that first half.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 02 Feb 2021, 2:02 pm

I think Toonies missed the point here, our warmup games were hardly inspired!

The training photos keep showing Dobie, I wonder whether Toonie thinks he's worth more of a shot than Steele? It seems to me he's very actively involved in moves training etc.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 02 Feb 2021, 2:25 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:I think Toonies missed the point here, our warmup games were hardly inspired!

The training photos keep showing Dobie, I wonder whether Toonie thinks he's worth more of a shot than Steele? It seems to me he's very actively involved in moves training etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Would be a very bold call and a massive ask for Dobie, but he has looked to the manor born whenever I have seen him play.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 02 Feb 2021, 4:16 pm

EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:I think Toonies missed the point here, our warmup games were hardly inspired!

I was thinking the same thing. Would be a very bold call and a massive ask for Dobie, but he has looked to the manor born whenever I have seen him play.

Certainly I rate him more than Steele who doesn't do much wrong but doesn't have much X factor either. Could be the most exciting 23 we've seen in a long time...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 02 Feb 2021, 5:24 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.  Would be a very bold call and a massive ask for Dobie, but he has looked to the manor born whenever I have seen him play.

Certainly I rate him more than Steele who doesn't do much wrong but doesn't have much X factor either. Could be the most exciting 23 we've seen in a long time...

Tend to agree here, Neily; it could be something very special. Or maybe a typical old fashioned Tombola Special.

On one hand the starting XV pretty much picks itself, or rather 75-80% of it does.

Props Sutherland/Kebble, Ragnar/WP For once I'm not too worried which order he plays them in, they're all good enough to start.

Hooker Turner, pretty much nailed on starter. Next cab off the rank? Cherry? 30 years old and can't get a regular start at the Luvvies? Stewart? Currently fighting it out with Dolokoto to be fourth choice at Scotstoun. Or will Toonie plump for Ashman? Safe choice is Cherry, Tombola choice Ashman.

Lock Gray, Gray, Cummings. Sensible choice is to start Ickle Jonny and bring either of the other two on to add energy and dynamism in the last 30 minutes.Tombola say start Richie and Cummings and run the legs off the English pack.

Back row Hamish is nailed on. Mbawza too, if he's fit. Graham, Blade, Matt F all have decent claims on the 8 jersey. I think Mbawza will be rested and 6. Graham 7. Hamish 8. Fagerson with Thompson to bench.

Half backs Aldi Price-Dancer Steel the obvious back up, can Toonie resist unleashing The House Elf? If young Dobie comes on he could make the kind of impact that Christian Cullen did when he debuted at the Singapore Sevens.

Centres Redpath-Harris Eddie Jones was saying recently that by the time the ball gets to 13 most international defences have shut the door. This would go a long way to explaining Toonies preference for a 13 who is solid and reliable over Shug Jones. If Redpath starts he can cover 10 if Dancer pulls up lame.

Back Three VDM-Hogg-? Neither NoMaits or Barry McGuigan have played much but both are probably ahead of Blarehorn on his recent performances.

Subs; Kebble, Nel, Ashman, Gray (which one?), Graham, Dobie, Jones, Spacey. Jones can cover 13, 15, Spacey 12, 13, 15, and 10 at a push.

So for what could be a pretty predictable starting Xv the team that finish the match could be full on Tombola.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 02 Feb 2021, 8:06 pm

Am I missing something here, is young Dobie in the squad, can Toonie select him?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 02 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Am I missing something here, is young Dobie in the squad, can Toonie select him?

He's been "invited to train" with the squad. However he seems, from inspection of the social media channels, to be more involved than his other young compatriots who were also invited to train.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 02 Feb 2021, 8:41 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:Am I missing something here, is young Dobie in the squad, can Toonie select him?

He's been "invited to train" with the squad. However he seems, from inspection of the social media channels, to be more involved than his other young compatriots who were also invited to train.

I've loved watching the lad, creative, damn fast, confident and a good tackler. Now a Dobie/Russell/Redpath arrow, Good God! talk about creative chaos, can you imagine that axis been unleashed on the English midfield Yahoo
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:06 pm

With Shug Jones at 13! VDW Hogg and NoMaits too.
Yes please.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:22 pm

I wouldn't read too much into the social media pictures. They're delibertely chosen to get the most social media interaction, and if anything they'd deliberately post pictures of those who are not playing to keep the team selection (and potential tactics) under wraps...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:34 pm

I'd love to see Dobie on the bench but it has got to be a very long shot.

Maybe later on though if someone goes down

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm

RDW wrote:I wouldn't read too much into the social media pictures. They're delibertely chosen to get the most social media interaction, and if anything they'd deliberately post pictures of those who are not playing to keep the team selection (and potential tactics) under wraps...

Hmm let's think...

Based on sods law we'll go for a midfield axis of Lang-Harris, steele to start, Ryan Wilson a latecomer at 8, kinghorn and mcguigan on wings. Sounds disappointing enough! 😂

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he ninjas Dobie into the 23. Especially if the U20s ends up being cancelled or if because Steele hasnt had much chance to train with them due to bubbling at quins.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 03 Feb 2021, 11:22 am

Fly you little tinker - where have you been?

You said you were only going out for "one pint". Actually, I've done that before.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 03 Feb 2021, 4:19 pm

George Carlin wrote:Fly you little tinker - where have you been?

You said you were only going out for "one pint". Actually, I've done that before.

George my man kiss

2011......Twas the night before 6Ns not a soul was in sight

The wife said
"if you rather a pint over me....don't come back!" boxing

Ahem I always listen to wifey

Getting quite twitchy pants time George.......Is this this the REAL DAWN?, I remember the"killer bees" then the "messiah" was going to lead us over the hill
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next