The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

+44
whatahitson
No9
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
alive555
eirebilly
king_carlos
Highland Shaun
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Cyril
majesticimperialman
Heaf
doctor_grey
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
nickj
takethelongroad
flyhalffactory
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
EST
Mcsweens
demosthenes
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Geordie
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
bsando
TJ
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RDW
48 posters

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 11 Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:00 am

First topic message reminder :

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by BigGee Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:40 pm

That was pretty stupid if he did contest it. Was never going to be turned around and has cost him another international missed.

No joined up thinking there!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:42 pm

The SRU historically do stick their head above the parapet with these things and back their players (think Ford/Gray 2 world cups ago). We've done well out of them in the past, but this looks to have been a mistake.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:45 pm

I don’t like it because the system is designed to either save face of the authority or save pennies.

Pretend yer sorry for purposefully trying to harm someone and get a lesser sentence than standing up and saying you genuinely didn’t mean to cause harm.

Stupid way of working
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:51 pm

Fagerson with a 3 game ban

Immediately removing him from Lions contention

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:54 am

That is obscene. I'd like to see them review POMs ban now then.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 17 Feb 2021, 8:22 am

It's bad, because they reduced POM's for previous good behaviour, having been given a second yellow (should've been straight red) in October v Scarlets.

I think I said in the POM thread, but reductions in ban are asking for trouble anyway. They just make a mockery of the whole process and are always likely to result in inconsistencies.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Feb 2021, 8:30 am

Galthie is having to isolate after testing postive for covid. Big boost for Scotland.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 17 Feb 2021, 8:31 am

3 game ban for brushing a players nose with the back of your shoulder whilst clearing him out as he was slowing the ball down illegally!

World's gone mad.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Feb 2021, 10:05 am

NeilyBroon wrote:That is obscene. I'd like to see them review POMs ban now then.

The difference down to POM accepting all charges and not contesting. The consistency across citings and bans really isn't good though on the whole. We saw Jonny Williams go off after a head on head and no murmour of a citing; compare that to Motu Matu'u who has picked up a 6 match ban. All seems very disjointed.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 17 Feb 2021, 10:25 am

It was a brave decision by Fagerson to not accept it was a red card. He has dented his lions hopes and won’t get a chance to play again in this years 6N. He’ll be absolutely gutted. However if he 100% believes he shouldn’t have been awarded a red card he has done the right thing. The panel wanted a Tudor style confession. Just so they could be vindicated for the decision of the officials on the day. Sometimes I feel our sport lacks any common sense.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Feb 2021, 10:28 am

Brave but stupid. Hvaing said that admissions of guilt in the end gave Hartley longer bans than if he'd denied and contested. The whole thing needs looking at.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 17 Feb 2021, 11:27 am

TightHEAD wrote:3 game ban for brushing a players nose with the back of your shoulder whilst clearing him out as he was slowing the ball down illegally!

World's gone mad.

Problem with that statement is it feels like you'd only be happy with the card had the target received a serious head injury.

It's not an easy situation, but I'd argue that ZF was lined up on his head when he started to dive, and only a last second movement on the part of Wyn Jones (or another player moving him) prevented a full shoulder to head impact.

It is a tough situation. Competing for the ball on the floor is such a fundamental part of Rugby and yet it can be so very dangerous.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 17 Feb 2021, 12:19 pm

POM's act of stupidity deserved more as the guy has previous. He likes to fire out the odd cheap shot but because he pleaded guilty, looked remorseful and brought chocolate hobnobs the panel gave him 3 weeks.
Fagerson's act of foul play was definately a red card, an impact to the top of a players head is always going to be a red card these days regardless of how we all want the physical side of the game to be ringfenced. Fagerson refused to admit guilt, stupidly and only brought shortbread, another silly move, shortbread doesn't go with tea.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 17 Feb 2021, 12:59 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:POM's act of stupidity deserved more as the guy has previous. He likes to fire out the odd cheap shot but because he pleaded guilty, looked remorseful and brought chocolate hobnobs the panel gave him 3 weeks.
Fagerson's act of foul play was definately a red card, an impact to the top of a players head is always going to be a red card these days regardless of how we all want the physical side of the game to be ringfenced. Fagerson refused to admit guilt, stupidly and only brought shortbread, another silly move, shortbread doesn't go with tea.
I wonder how things would have gone if he brought 'sweetbread', but that goes with beer.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 17 Feb 2021, 1:13 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:POM's act of stupidity deserved more as the guy has previous. He likes to fire out the odd cheap shot but because he pleaded guilty, looked remorseful and brought chocolate hobnobs the panel gave him 3 weeks.

OMG this post is just so so wrong. Really you dont have a clue what you are talking about! Coming onto forums and trying to tell people that shortbread doesnt go with tea??????? It bloomin does too!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 17 Feb 2021, 1:38 pm

tigertattie wrote:

OMG this post is just so so wrong. Really you dont have a clue what you are talking about! Coming onto forums and trying to tell people that shortbread doesnt go with tea??????? It bloomin does too!

Shortbread is for coffee.
Hobnobs are for tea.
Rich tea are for ........ water?
Bourbons are for Whiskey.

Thems the rules Tattie, thems the rules.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 17 Feb 2021, 2:03 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Hobnobs are for tea.

Get thee gone Satan furious furious furious

Come on a good, decent, family centred thread and spread vile disinformation about the correct biscotti with char. furious furious furious

Not one single mention of the blessed fruit scone.

Bourbons are for whisky??? Who are you? John Lee Hooker?

jimbopip

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 17 Feb 2021, 2:56 pm

Ahhh, I can see a race war starting! At least for the right reasons!!!!

By the way, Bourbon (the drink not the Frenchman) is a whisky. Or maybe it's a whiskey? I get so confused....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 17 Feb 2021, 3:28 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Hobnobs are for tea.

Get thee gone Satan furious furious furious

Come on a good, decent, family centred thread and spread vile disinformation about the correct biscotti with char. furious furious furious

Not one single mention of the blessed fruit scone.

Bourbons are for whisky??? Who are you? John Lee Hooker?

Never knock it till you try it Jimbo.
Not to be tried with a good whiskey, just a standard Jamesons.
Bite a bit of Bourbon, sip the Whiskey, enjoy the mixture of flavours assaulting your senses.

Scones are for grannies by the way Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Feb 2021, 3:37 pm

Whilst I disagree with the red, everyone knows that regardless of how you feel, you get down on your knees, don a black armband out of respect for the referee, re-name your children after the Head of the Disciplinary Panel and grovel like hell after the game in order to get the punishment reduced.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 17 Feb 2021, 3:45 pm

Fagerson is a strong Christian and though that is the route most pragmatic people would choose, it may offend his faith if he does not believe in it.

It is good to srick to your ptinciples, but there is often a cost unfortunately

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Feb 2021, 4:00 pm

I'm a lawyer. Principles are overrated.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 17 Feb 2021, 4:06 pm

Okiedokie mes amis. This'll be a long one.
Gee, I think you're right; a man who says attending regular bible reading classes has helped him through lockdown would never admit to assaulting a fellow professional if he truly believed his actions were within the laws.
Fes, you are a typically amoral representative of the rentier class. A noble proletarian Glaswegian would never ever stop to such tactics.
Pete330v2....Jamesons isn't even a half decent single malt: it's an Irish heresy. No wonder you need to dip biscuits in it to make it tolerable. ( Mrspip recently made a fruit loaf and soaked the raisins in some Old Tobermory 12 year old before baking but that's a completely different story).
Doc Grey get on to Spotify and listen to John Lee Hooker's " One bourbon, one Scotch and one beer." George Thourogood and The Destroyers do a decent cover version too.

jimbopip

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:01 pm

jimbopip wrote:Okiedokie mes amis. This'll be a long one.
Gee, I think you're right; a man who says attending regular bible reading classes has helped him through lockdown would never admit to assaulting a fellow professional if he truly believed his actions were within the laws.
Fes, you are a typically amoral representative of the rentier class. A noble proletarian Glaswegian would never ever stop to such tactics.
Pete330v2....Jamesons isn't even a half decent single malt: it's an Irish heresy. No wonder you need to dip biscuits in it to make it tolerable.  ( Mrspip recently made a fruit loaf and soaked the raisins in some Old Tobermory 12 year old before baking but that's a completely different story).
Doc Grey get on to Spotify and listen to John Lee Hooker's " One bourbon, one Scotch and one beer." George Thourogood and The Destroyers do a decent cover version too.

Absolutely one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!!!!
Me love George Thorogood. Actually played One Bourbon, etc. at my wedding. He is the next new age philosopher!

Pete330v2: I like scones.................oh wait.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:18 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Okiedokie mes amis. This'll be a long one.
Pete330v2....Jamesons isn't even a half decent single malt: it's an Irish heresy. No wonder you need to dip biscuits in it to make it tolerable.  ( Mrspip recently made a fruit loaf and soaked the raisins in some Old Tobermory 12 year old before baking but that's a completely different story).

Absolutely one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!!!!
Me love George Thorogood.  Actually played One Bourbon, etc. at my wedding.  He is the next new age philosopher!  

Pete330v2:  I like scones.................oh wait.....  

The funniest thing about this is that Jimbo actually knows what Spotify is Laugh Laugh Laugh

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:19 pm

Doc when you were dancing to George Thorogood were you wearing your Maddison shoes?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:21 pm

Ffs jimbo, making a fruit loaf out of single malt. And you say FES is the Toff of the boards!???

Also what on Earth, all this talk of biscuits and no one has mentioned jaffacakes?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:34 pm

tigertattie wrote:Ffs jimbo, making a fruit loaf out of single malt. And you say FES is the Toff of the boards!???

Also what on Earth, all this talk of biscuits and no one has mentioned jaffacakes?
Tigertattie, I opened the whisky cupboard ( yes I do have one) and discovered to my horror that the cork in the Tobermory had crumbled into the bottle. Mrs pip was quick to say stop crying and sieve it through a tea towel. I passed her the bottle and that's how the raisins got to marinate in a very good malt.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 17 Feb 2021, 5:42 pm

jimbopip wrote:Doc when you were dancing to George Thorogood were you wearing your Maddison shoes?
Madison blue shoes!  We're part of the same cult!
I don't remember what I was wearing for most of my wedding.  We did rock away our shoes.  But that don't confront me none as long as I get my rent money by next Friday!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Feb 2021, 9:44 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Doc when you were dancing to George Thorogood were you wearing your Maddison shoes?
Madison blue shoes!  We're part of the same cult!
I don't remember what I was wearing for most of my wedding.  We did rock away our shoes.  But that don't confront me none as long as I get my rent money by next Friday!

Oh God Jimbo's found a friend who is on his level.

We're doomed!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Feb 2021, 10:47 pm

I know! Get a room!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:07 am

On ZF disciplinary matters it is disappointing to see a careless clearout of the player competing for the ball gets a longer ban than a reckless challenge on someone taking no active part in the ruck. Accepting the card or not, it doesn’t send the correct message for me. He has the right to appeal and probably should as nothing further to lose regarding playing in this competition and Lions selection potential. As a side note good to see some whisky chat creeping into the forum Jimbo, always happy to talk drams too. Very much into Campbeltown and lowland Malts right now and found an online whisky club a great benefit during lockdown.

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:18 am

Lowland whiskies? Mr Road, I'll confess to an almost total ignorance there. Wilful ignorance, if I'm honest. I'm more an islands man: the Isle Of Jura or Bruachladdich being high spots for me. Feel free to enlighten me, though.
MrsPip and I joined a wine club which has helped keep us sane this past year, although as I needed more help than her I can also recommend Flavourly as an online beerseller. Our hovel at times reminds me of the visitor to WC Fields' mansion who on seeing the cellar and attic stocked with cases of booze asked,
"Why all the hard liquor, Bill?"
"Prohibition, Joe, prohibition."
"But prohibition ended ten years ago!"
"It might come back. It might come back."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:22 am

I signed up for Beer 52 last year and have to say that I have no regrets.

My kids got me a 20 year old Glengoyne this xmas. One of the few advantages of getting old is that your kids do start getting you some decent presents!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:24 am

You must be a lot older than me then.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:32 am

Right!

Here's the thing my dear ancestors.

My forefathers apparently were based in Hawick and we ran the show to be fair. It took a move across the Irish sea and centuries of time for us at the far reaching branches of the family tree to realise that in order for whiskey to be truly a drink fit for the gods it needs only one thing, the letter E.
There are many fine whiskeys but not a lot of decent whisky.

Here endeth the lesson Run

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:34 am

An Irishman telling a Scotsman how to make whisky is like me telling WP Nel how to scrum!

(P.s. is it obvious there's no game this weekend?)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:39 am

RDW wrote:An Irishman telling a Scotsman how to make whisky is like me telling WP Nel how to scrum!

(P.s. is it obvious there's no game this weekend?)

Glasgow are due to play Ulsturrr on Friday night, the Luvvies will collapse like a B&Q bookcase before Munster on Saturday.

Scotland might play France next Sunday, but then again that is dependent on further testing in the French camp. At present one back room staffer, Galthie and an assistant coach have all tested positive and everyone else is self-isolating for 7 days with regular tests.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:08 am

tigertattie wrote:Also what on Earth, all this talk of biscuits and no one has mentioned jaffacakes?

I do not want to start a whole new debate here, but Jaffacakes are not biscuits. Run

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:11 am

LordDowlais wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Also what on Earth, all this talk of biscuits and no one has mentioned jaffacakes?

I do not want to start a whole new debate here, but Jaffacakes are not biscuits. Run

Perfect biscuits for the Luvvies; neither one thing nor the other, calls itself a cake and then fails to deliver while leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

jimbopip

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:18 am

jimbopip wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Perfect biscuits for the Luvvies; neither one thing nor the other, calls itself a cake and then fails to deliver while leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

I think it's been scientifically proven it's a cake. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:20 am

Glenkinchie, rosebank and auchentoshan all make some fine drams. A newish farm distillery near Cupar called Daftmill makes excelllent stuff in tiny quantities that is often not seen in shops as sells out straight away, very decent. Best Jura I had in years was a douglas Laing ‘old particular’ bottling called Elements water edition, lovely stuff. Pete, do enlighten us on your picks, I am a novice when the extra e is added.

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:26 am

Thank you Mr Road, there's one or two I shall keep an eye out for.
Last time I was up in Luvvietoun for a trip to the Library Baz, Bru and myself started our lucnch with "a pint and a half" in Leith Walk and discovered a very palatable blended whisky called Scallywag. Once safely back in Essex I got Baz a bottle for his birthday and you'll be relieved to know it travels well.

jimbopip

takethelongroad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:40 am

Great stuff, same label as the Jura bottling, I haven’t tried it but positive chat all round. Anyone seen any contingency rulings for the 6n if a game cannot go ahead? Sod’s law we will be in the running for a championship in the last round and a default win would deny us by points difference!

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:41 am

Auchentoshan is my absolute favourite, although I did like the Jura I had from my local supermarket too.

RiscaGame

takethelongroad likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:43 am

takethelongroad wrote:Great stuff, same label as the Jura bottling, I haven’t tried it but positive chat all round. Anyone seen any contingency rulings for the 6n if a game cannot go ahead? Sod’s law we will be in the running for a championship in the last round and a default win would deny us by points difference!

I think they would have to follow the Not The Heino ruling and award a 28-0 victory to the side who don't default. So a plus 28 after a visit to Paris is probably better than we have achieved in a long time. Fingers Crossed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:49 am

6N games usually get replayed when postponed.

Godness knows when though!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:55 am

Bath injury update saying Redpath is out for 'weeks'.

Bugger.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:18 am

Weeks could hopefully mean back for last 2 rounds.

Am hopeful Hastings will be back by then as well, who also gives an option at 12

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 Feb 2021, 12:09 pm

From a Scotland pov the Glasgow line up tomorrow is "interesting ".
Kebble, Big Ritchie, Dobbie,HAIRCUT, Sam Johnson, Shug and Rufus McLean all start.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next