The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
ralphjohn69
superflyweight
JuliusHMarx
TM2K
Shotrock
Eyetoldyouso
JAS
Davie
pedro
dynamark
westisbest
I'm never wrong
BlueCoverman
navyblueshorts
McLaren
super_realist
Soul Requiem
beninho
22 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu 24 Dec 2020, 6:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

8 bronze badges
The problem states, "If I buy two tickets with different numbers" – msinghal Jul 22 '15 at 6:40
Correct. I just wanted to clarify this explicitly, since this apparently causes the confusion in the internet the OP was writing about... – Bernhard Jul 22 '15 at 7:38
So let me get this right. If I have a 1 in 14 million of chance of winning the lottery, if I buy a further ticket with a different sequence of numbers to the first one for the same draw my chance of winning is slashed to 1 in 7 million? – Rickie Jul 22 '15 at 8:16
Yes, that is correct. – Bernhard Jul 22 '15 at 8:23

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jan 2021, 9:06 am

beninho wrote:I'll kick it off.

Imagine caring more about statues then people who need to claim benefits.
I'll bite (Wink). Who says that you trying to link those two, utterly independent issues, actually makes the point a valid one?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jan 2021, 9:09 am

Shotrock wrote:54 hours and counting until the orange man is off premises.

If you have watched any news in these United States (perhaps not the Faux News Network as much) you've seen numerous domestic terrorists abuse the term "Patriots" countless times.

I'm guessing my father (DDay + 3 and Battle of the Bulge) and older brother (Vietnam field medic) better fit that description than a camo-wearing Confederate flag waving nut.

Thanks for listening all.
Agreed. Kind of goes hand-in-hand w/ the Fool-in-Chief and his surrounding himself w/ ex-military, wrapping himself in the flag and being seen to be a strong man. Typical of a coward who apparently did anything to avoid Vietnam.

Would like to listen to your father's tale, especially.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jan 2021, 9:10 am

pedro wrote:I can’t wait to see DT presidential library. Presumably it will be on Manhattan and full of books about Macchiavelli and Narcissus. Good luck.
Doubt there'll be one, unless they're partly designed to preserve a President's record for history (are they?). I'm sure the World can live w/o it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 19 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

I'll bite (Wink). Who says that you trying to link those two, utterly independent issues, actually makes the point a valid one?

Jenrick made a point about wanting to protect statues, he then didn't vote to stop a cut for people who need benefit assistance. Serms to show he cares about one more than the other. And if its government policy to protect statues by bringing in laws, while wanting to decrease benefits to people who need it, then they are linked.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 19 Jan 2021, 11:30 am

beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Jenrick made a point about wanting to protect statues, he then didn't vote to stop a cut for people who need benefit assistance. Serms to show he cares about one more than the other. And if its government policy to protect statues by bringing in laws, while wanting to decrease benefits to people who need it, then they are linked.

Ben, you have conflated two issues. They are just two different policies being "considered" by the governement. It just so happens they are being dealt with at the same time. The fact that they are "pro" one and "anti" another might justify the disapproval, but to consider them linked is wrong. Governments consider lots of things at the same time.

I would agree with you if MPs were told that if they voted a particular way on one policy (against their better judgement) it would cause another policy that they were desperately hoping to succeed to become law. But I can see no evidence of this with these two items.

I'm never wrong

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 19 Jan 2021, 11:43 am

I get they are separate issues. But, it does seem to me, that some mps are more concerned about the statues then the cuts in UC. Separate issues they may be.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 19 Jan 2021, 11:47 am

beninho wrote: But, it does seem to me, that some mps are more concerned about the statues then the cuts in UC.
In my mind Ben, protecting statues is not important at the moment. Dealing with Covid - and the issue of UC is now part of that, are far more important.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 19 Jan 2021, 12:21 pm

Has the govt had a U turn on this thread .?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 19 Jan 2021, 12:26 pm

My understanding is that the UC uplift is in place until April anyway its not stopping this friday !!.Remember govt money is taxpayers money after all and maybe we should bear that in mind.
Statues are statues bit like history books and paintings usually representing the victors.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 19 Jan 2021, 12:56 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
beninho wrote: But, it does seem to me, that some mps are more concerned about the statues then the cuts in UC.
In my mind Ben, protecting statues is not important at the moment. Dealing with Covid - and the issue of UC is now part of that, are far more important.

The statues are not important. But was a way to bash the lefties. Its a bit culture war, and playing to the base.

Why, it needs bringing up now, im unsure.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jan 2021, 5:26 pm

beninho wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:

The statues are not important. But was a way to bash the lefties. Its a bit culture war, and playing to the base.

Why, it needs bringing up now, im unsure.
On the face of it, no. They're just objects after all, even if people ascribe meaning to many of them. However, allowing a lawless mob to vandalise things just because they deem it OK isn't a good way to go about maintaining a Society that thinks laws are important. Yes, I'm considering this one issue in isolation.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:06 pm

Don't think mobs were allowed to damage statues, that was criminal damage, I think people were charged over the Bristol one. That isn't the issue. But, having to go to the culture Secretary if a local council wants to remove a statue seems a bit over the top. And, again, unsure what point it covers apart from give them the chance to say Woke and lefty.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:31 pm

Any opportunity to say woke and lefty is fine by me, if it's warranted.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 20 Jan 2021, 2:27 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Any opportunity to say woke and lefty is fine by me, if it's warranted.

There's somebody else that loves to ridicule woke and lefty...and he's getting evicted today. Trouble he's left a legacy of up to 70 million nut jobs who've been whipped up into a foaming at the mouth left hating frenzy.

Having said that, many on the left need to stop being so bloody woke and prioritise what SHOULD be the key issues for the left.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 20 Jan 2021, 2:31 pm

JAS - Good point ... and let's not forget:

15 Miles of a border wall have been built and Mexico did not pay for any of it.

Obamacare has not been repealed.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 20 Jan 2021, 2:35 pm

JAS wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Any opportunity to say woke and lefty is fine by me, if it's warranted.

There's somebody else that loves to ridicule woke and lefty...and he's getting evicted today. Trouble he's left a legacy of up to 70 million nut jobs who've been whipped up into a foaming at the mouth left hating frenzy.

Having said that, many on the left need to stop being so bloody woke and prioritise what SHOULD be the key issues for the left.

My issue with the woke culture and it's highlighted on here to an extent is that people say what they think they should rather than what they actually believe.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Jan 2021, 3:54 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:

My issue with the woke culture and it's highlighted on here to an extent is that people say what they think they should rather than what they actually believe.

For me that was always the hope for political correctness. In that the dim witted general public would just resort to it even if they didn't understand why. Political correctness is a set of rules you can follow if you are not smart enough to work things out for yourself. If you feel a pang of racism, homophobia, sexism etc just resort to political correctness.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 20 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

That's why you follow the 'political correctness rules', makes sense now.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Jan 2021, 4:49 pm

Anyone watching the inauguration?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 20 Jan 2021, 5:17 pm

McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

For me that was always the hope for political correctness. In that the dim witted general public would just resort to it even if they didn't understand why. Political correctness is a set of rules you can follow if you are not smart enough to work things out for yourself. If you feel a pang of racism, homophobia, sexism etc just resort to political correctness.
Interesting take on it; hadn't really thought of it like that. Problem w/ people realising they might be a little on the dark side though, perhaps, if they're dim witted?

Relies a little too much on too many that are dim witted deciding on what is 'correct' for my liking.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 20 Jan 2021, 6:20 pm

Remember when people used to say its political correctness gone made, usually idiots. Now its about blaming woke culture. Isn't it generally people who claim to like free speech who then get riled because they think people are woke.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 20 Jan 2021, 6:34 pm

I tend to find the woke brigade to be the idiots but each to their own.

Soul Requiem

Davie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 20 Jan 2021, 6:46 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:I tend to find the woke brigade to be the idiots but each to their own.

Woke brigade..oh dear.

Anyway, what upsets you so much about people being woke?

God, I hate that word, its so bloody stupid.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 20 Jan 2021, 6:53 pm

Oh dear, the WB are offended again.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 20 Jan 2021, 6:53 pm

These days, they throw you in jail just for saying your English.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 20 Jan 2021, 6:55 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Oh dear, the WB are offended again.

I'm really not Woke. And It takes a hell of a lot to offended me. I am naturally curious, and while, to me, its easy to remember the daftness of political correctness gone made, I like to understand what upsets people about woke.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 20 Jan 2021, 7:04 pm

https://twitter.com/AndyHa_/status/1351940088146632712?s=19

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Jan 2021, 8:21 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:I tend to find the woke brigade to be the idiots but each to their own.

Yeh I am also curious if you can provide a half decent/specific definition of what both woke and the woke brigade are?

And also what about wokeness is it that so offends or angers you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jan 2021, 7:20 am

woke
/wəʊk/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past of wake1.
adjectiveINFORMAL•US
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

I can see how people really hate those alert to injustice and racism. Such a bad thing to be...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:04 am

My opinion seems to have bothered the pair of you so i'd say that's job done, is this the point I do a Ben and say 'I don't care'?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:19 am

Again, not really bothered. But, im glad you've clarified that you don't have issues with the woke. Thats good to know. I still have issues with the sort who said pc gone mad.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:29 am

Roger Daltrey. Now there's an idiot.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:39 am

beninho wrote:Again, not really bothered. But, im glad you've clarified that you don't have issues with the woke. Thats good to know. I still have issues with the sort who said pc gone mad.

Is that why you're ok with misogynistic comments and when questioned reply, 'I don't care'?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:51 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:Again, not really bothered. But, im glad you've clarified that you don't have issues with the woke. Thats good to know. I still have issues with the sort who said pc gone mad.

Is that why you're ok with misogynistic comments and when questioned reply, 'I don't care'?

I dont really recall the argument. But, it probably didn't bother me.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:58 am

You're back to caring again now, interesting.

On a separate note i'm baffled by the reverence some are showing Joe Biden, a man who has been accused on multiple occasions of sexual misconduct. Innocent until proven guilty but those involved in the #metoo movement seem to ignoring his less than stellar past because he's replaced an utter nutjob, they're quick to assume guilt when it suits their argument which is fair enough but their views changed when it doesn't. Surely you have to be all one way or the other?

The end of Trump's presidency is without doubt a cause for celebration but Biden replacing him is not.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jan 2021, 9:04 am

What am I meant to be caring about? There's a fukload more i don't care about in this world, then what i do.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jan 2021, 9:43 am

Soul Requiem wrote:You're back to caring again now, interesting.

The end of Trump's presidency is without doubt a cause for celebration but Biden replacing him is not.

Unfortunately, that was the only offer on the table, who would you have preferred?? I'm guessing another Republican but they were never going to have the spine to push someone to challenge the Donald in the Primaries

Of the Democrats, plenty of choice but...who did they actually have that could have a) beaten Trump then b) done what you would consider a good job. No good offering up someone that would do a great b) if they could get past a)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 Jan 2021, 9:48 am

JAS wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:You're back to caring again now, interesting.

Unfortunately, that was the only offer on the table, who would you have preferred?? I'm guessing another Republican but they were never going to have the spine to push someone to challenge the Donald in the Primaries

Of the Democrats, plenty of choice but...who did they actually have that could have a) beaten Trump then b) done what you would consider a good job. No good offering up someone that would do a great b) if they could get past a)

I'd probably consider myself a Democrat were I voting in America to be honest JAS which is why i'm baffled by Biden's reputation in the UK. The only Republican I felt any affinity to was John McCain.

Pete Buttigieg would have been my personal choice but let's be honest that's not going to happen for a while yet and as you point out would not have beaten Trump for obvious reasons.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jan 2021, 10:08 am

Soul Requiem wrote:My opinion seems to have bothered the pair of you so i'd say that's job done, is this the point I do a Ben and say 'I don't care'?

Not sure it has bothered me I am just curious how you would define Wokeness, and woke brigade. And also how you identify people who belong to the woke brigade.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:15 pm

I am no history buff but Biden has been at it (politics) for a very very long time ,he has some stamina for the job.Very surprised he got the nomination at that age ,Trump is no spring chicken either,I assume Biden has had tremendous finance and resource behind him which sadly means one can become president of the USA if you have that behind you.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:35 pm

Put another way, you can't become President without tremendous finance and resource behind you.

Biden does not come from great family wealth, nor did Obama or Clinton, but once chosen the machine will see you get your chance.

Must say, I'm much happier today knowing that DT is not in office. The number of former cabinet members, advisors, etc. who - when not working for him any longer - spill the beans on his erratic and questionable judgement is astounding to me.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jan 2021, 2:03 pm

Shotrock wrote:Put another way, you can't become President without tremendous finance and resource behind you.

Biden does not come from great family wealth, nor did Obama or Clinton, but once chosen the machine will see you get your chance.

Must say, I'm much happier today knowing that DT is not in office. The number of former cabinet members, advisors, etc. who - when not working for him any longer - spill the beans on his erratic and questionable judgement is astounding to me.

What's even more astounding is that over 74 million wanted him to carry on. Where does one even start to unpick such a massive self harming cult?? Not only unpick it, but also prevent it falling for the next nut job with enough money and an insatiable appetite for power and the ability to lie his way into that position? Easy to say, yeah it won't happen again...we'll see it coming but actually most onlookers with a modicum of common sense saw this one coming yet it still happened.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jan 2021, 2:18 pm

Jas

Similarly baffling proportions of out population voted for Brexit and/or Boris. Voting for brexit was just as mad as voting for Trump again.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Jan 2021, 2:43 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas

Similarly baffling proportions of out population voted for Brexit and/or Boris. Voting for brexit was just as mad as voting for Trump again.
You're assuming all people who vote in ways you don't get do so for singular reasons you don't like. Too narrow a view.

Think people have priorities (jobs in former steel working parts of US, for example) and are prepared to hold their noses on some of the less tasteful aspects of someone because other issues that a candidate promises are higher on their priorities. Yes, I know Trump was never going to successfully honour his 2016 promises to these people and you have to wonder why people believed a charlatan like that. Maybe it says a lot about people's desperation?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jan 2021, 2:51 pm

Navy

As I said. People vote for mad/idiotic reasons.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Jan 2021, 3:00 pm

Last I'll say on this subject (since I'm putting it all behind me!) ...

When Trump continuously lied about "the steal" his message was parroted by many a follower. More than once, in face to face conversations, I told people that I would be delighted to send an immediate email to the New York Times telling them that I have it on good authority there was massive fraud in this election and they should immediately contact XXXX. When I told the person(s) that, they backed down. I then suggested they should not do that and bring not just their truth but the "truth" to light. Once again, they scurried like rats to a corner when the lights went on. You can lie to your friends and on social media all you want, but when you do so in a court of law there are repercussions. (Not to mention the libel suits being started by voting machine companies.) I would be happy if they sent some of these convicted domestic terrorists to GITMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Jan 2021, 3:59 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Jas

You're assuming all people who vote in ways you don't get do so for singular reasons you don't like. Too narrow a view.

Think people have priorities (jobs in former steel working parts of US, for example) and are prepared to hold their noses on some of the less tasteful aspects of someone because other issues that a candidate promises are higher on their priorities. Yes, I know Trump was never going to successfully honour his 2016 promises to these people and you have to wonder why people believed a charlatan like that. Maybe it says a lot about people's desperation?

Hmmm it's not quite the same although there are similar threads Mac. Navy is right about where a lot of people that went that way are coming from. The thing that drove Trumps rise, that drove Brexit, is mainly disillusioned working class voters looking for someone to blame and looking for someone who can fix it. What they don't actually realise is that its a problem that's been fermenting since the early 80s and the right, ideologically will NEVER be able to fix it. It was them who broke it (justified by excessive union power at the end of the 70s), who globalised labour, destroyed worker collective bargaining,  who tilt macroeconomics in favour of the top end by pursuing low inflation as a economic goal as more important than full employment. Who deregulate labour markets, outsource responsibility to charlatans and deregulate banks to the point where banks can gamble away other peoples money and keep on doing it until way after its all gone then get the masses to spend a decade or 2 paying for their avarice....is it any wonder that millions are pissed off?...Trouble is they're blaming the wrong people. Reagan started it all with Reganomics, trickle down economics was sold to society as a great way to go and BOTH sides went along with it, Clinton & Obama didn't really challenge it, Blair didn't really challenge it either, he just tried to smooth the edges a bit. So ALL UK & US governments since Thatcher/Reagan have supported it and DESPITE it visibly imploding in 2008 we are STILL being convinced that there is NO alternative and sucking it up. 12 years into paying for the implosion we STILL collectively cant see that there is no such thing as Trickle down, its trickle across, Power wealth and opportunity is shared among wealthy mates and wealth trickles mainly out of economies and into offshore tax havens of the wealthy while millions live in abject poverty and millions more live a pay check away from joining them. 40 years in we should be having a serious and honest review of "trickle down"...Biden...the floor is yours...what you gonna do??

The thing is we know all politicians lie, it was certainly the case in the Brexit debate where both sides had a "Lets see who can piss highest up the wall" kind of lying contest, not just lies but also crazy extrapolations of doom if we went one way and a land of milk and honey if we went the other...from both sides. Public were left with a I either need to do a shed load of objective research by myself or just guess or not vote.
In the US, I'm not saying Joe Schmo won't have told the odd porky but against Trump Jesus it was a no contest. Did Clinton lie 4 years ago? I have no doubt there will be skeletons in that cupboard too but compared to Trump...nowhere near.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Type)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Jan 2021, 5:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

As I said. People vote for mad/idiotic reasons.
That's not what I said. Please go back and read it again. Who're you to say that the reasons someone voted for someone like Trump weren't valid for them and, after all, he was the GOP candidate - who else are they going to vote for if they generally believe in GOP policies? As I said, people have priorities and yours might not match those of others.
Ditto re. Johnson and the Tories.

I'm not sure you will, but you have to accept that just because someone votes for an individual/party you deem to be beyond the pale, it does not mean they're somehow evil or dumb. If so many can't accept that people have perfectly valid reasons for voting differently to oneself and that doing so doesn't make them Beelzebub, there's no hope.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Jan 2021, 5:29 pm

Shotrock wrote:Last I'll say on this subject (since I'm putting it all behind me!) ...

When Trump continuously lied about "the steal" his message was parroted by many a follower. More than once, in face to face conversations, I told people that I would be delighted to send an immediate email to the New York Times telling them that I have it on good authority there was massive fraud in this election and they should immediately contact XXXX. When I told the person(s) that, they backed down. I then suggested they should not do that and bring not just their truth but the "truth" to light. Once again, they scurried like rats to a corner when the lights went on. You can lie to your friends and on social media all you want, but when you do so in a court of law there are repercussions. (Not to mention the libel suits being started by voting machine companies.) I would be happy if they sent some of these convicted domestic terrorists to GITMO.
Yeah. Good post. See also road rage - no-one (or very few) would behave like such a complete dork in a face-to-face situation, but somehow they're absurd in a car. Human behaviour I guess.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Jan 2021, 5:35 pm

Vaccine obe done. Let bill Gates into my veins!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next