The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+19
owen10ozzy
ralphjohn69
Plunky
TM2K
beninho
Davie
LadyPutt
Shotrock
superflyweight
robopz
pedro
Good Golly I'm Olly
I'm never wrong
BlueCoverman
GPB
navyblueshorts
JAS
super_realist
McLaren
23 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 15 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by McLaren Thu 3 Dec - 20:31

First topic message reminder :

GPB

Either that or the players are just really good. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 15 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Sun 1 Aug - 19:27

Silver Medal for Rory~

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 15 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by Davie Sun 1 Aug - 20:15

They give a silver medal for 4th place now??? Doh

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 1 Aug - 22:19

Silver medal for Slovakias finest son.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 1 Aug - 22:39

pedro wrote:Silver medal for Slovakias finest son.

known on one podcast as the "Boy from Bratislava"

Seriously all credit to Sabbo.  He became a citizen of Slovakia to promote golf in that country and to represent them in the Olympics.  He never seem to be that interested in South Africa.  Not sure the last time in returned to South Africa to play a tournament,

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 2 Aug - 19:03

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:Silver medal for Slovakias finest son.

known on one podcast as the "Boy from Bratislava"

Seriously all credit to Sabbo.  He became a citizen of Slovakia to promote golf in that country and to represent them in the Olympics.  He never seem to be that interested in South Africa.  Not sure the last time in returned to South Africa to play a tournament,

I'm presuming you're being sarcastic there GPB that he did it to promote golf in Slovakia?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 2 Aug - 20:40

I still want to know how GPB worked out it was a silver for the wee tattie muncher

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 1:00

Davie wrote:I still want to know how GPB worked out it was a silver for the wee tattie muncher

I said Silver Medal for Rory

Didn't say which Rory

Rory Sabbatini.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 3 Aug - 9:37

From now on I think we will see golf taking off in Slovakia.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 3 Aug - 9:47

pedro wrote:From now on I think we will see golf taking off in Slovakia.

laughing laughing laughing

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 15:52

Some major changes in the 2021-22 PGATour Schedule

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2021/08/03/pga-tour-full-schedule-2021-22-season.amp.html

Some Highlights

The two stroke play WGCs in North America are GONE
Scottish Open is now a co-sanctioned event between EuropeanTour and PGATour, sponsored by Genesis
Memphis will host first playoff event
Barracuda and Reno will be co-sanctioned by European Tour, played same weeks as Scottish and Open Championships
No PGATour event in the NYC metro area
PGATour is subsidizing Irish Open purse (but the event is not co-sanctioned)

GPB

pedro and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 15:59

super_realist wrote:

I'm presuming you're being sarcastic there GPB that he did it to promote golf in Slovakia?

According to wiki, His wife's cousin is the President of the Slovakian Golf Association and I have heard that Rory has gone there and played some exhibitions and small tournaments.

So No, not sarcastic.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 3 Aug - 16:15

Sounds like a cowpat claim to me from Sabbatini.
How's he going to grow golf in Slovakia when he doesn't even live there, isn't Slovakian, probably doesn't speak the language, is one of the most unpleasant guys in the game, isn't at the top of the game and only happened to marry a Slovak.

Did Trump grow right wing politics in Slovenia because he married one?

Clearly just tokenism from Sabbatini and trying to engratiate himself.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 16:29

Does Rory McIlroy grow the game in Ireland? He doesn't live there.

Does Justin Rose grow the game in England? He doesn't live there.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 3 Aug - 16:54

GPB wrote:Does Rory McIlroy grow the game in Ireland?  He doesn't live there.

Does Justin Rose grow the game in England?  He doesn't live there.

For a start McIlroy is Northern Irish, so isn't expected to grow the game in Ireland, Rose is English and actually runs events there such as the Rose Series which is currently on, what is Sabbatini doing to grow the game in Slovakia?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 18:10

McIlroy represented the Irish Flag last week,

In any event, he does not live in Northern Ireland either.

As I posted earlier. I have heard that Sabbo has played in exhibitions and tournaments in Slovakia.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 3 Aug - 18:18

GPB wrote:McIlroy represented the Irish Flag last week,

As I posted earlier.  I have heard that Sabbo has played in exhibitions and tournaments in Slovakia.

I didn't say he had to live there, but he's clearly more of an influence there than Sabbatini would be in Slovakia.

Ask anyone from Ireland or Northern Ireland who McIlroy is, then ask a Slovakian who Rory Sabbatini is and there  is your answer.

Sabbatini isn't going to grow the game of golf in Slovakia any more than a Brit winning a silver medal in some sport that we aren't interested in here is. To Slovakian he's a compete nobody who migbt get a few column inches then will be forgotten.

Sabbatini was simply trying to engraciate himself without actually having to do anything.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 18:22

McIlroy represented the Irish Flag last week,

As I posted earlier.  I have heard that Sabbo has played in exhibitions and tournaments in Slovakia.

He won the Slovakian Open in 2019

https://golfslovakopen.sk/en/history/the-exciting-conclusion-of-the-slovak-championship-open-the-trophy-was-taken-by-r-sabbatini/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 3 Aug - 18:25

Oh wow, the Slovakian Open. Well done, I'm sure they were dancing in the streets of Bratislava about that one weren't they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 3 Aug - 18:42

You got to start somewhere. Modern day Slovakia wasn't even a country until just recently. Deeply buried behind the Iron Curtain.

It takes a long time for an acorn to grow into a Oak Tree.

Listen, I am no Rory Sabbatini fan. I have always thought he was a big douche bag.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 4 Aug - 6:38

1993 so not that recent, plus Slovakian culture and history goes a lot further back than the US does for example, so nice try at being patronising.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 4 Aug - 13:45

Oh Please. Really, Slovakia was buried beneath the Iron Curtain for 50 years prior to their independence. And AFAIK, Golf was not part of Eastern Europe culture before WWII. I know there were French Opens, and German Opens and Spanish Open since the turn of the century, but I am not aware of any golf history in Eastern Europe.

Of course the avg Slovak has no idea what golf is, let alone who Rory Sabbatini is. That is my entire point. Rome was not built in a day and I am sure The Slovak Golf Association's budget is a pittance.

In 1993 Korean Golf was the equivalent of gnat on an elephant's arse in the World of Golf. And look what they have done in less than 30 years. They are dominant in Womens golf and they have more players ranked in the OWGR Top 200 (5) than Scotland (3).

I don't know why you are always so jaded.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 4 Aug - 14:12

GPB wrote:Oh Please.  Really, Slovakia was buried beneath the Iron Curtain for 50 years prior to their independence.  And AFAIK, Golf was not part of Eastern Europe culture before WWII.   I know there were French Opens, and German Opens and Spanish Open since the turn of the century, but I am not aware of any golf history in Eastern Europe.

Of course the avg Slovak has no idea what golf is, let alone who Rory Sabbatini is. That is my entire point. Rome was not built in a day and I am sure The Slovak Golf Association's budget is a pittance.

In 1993 Korean Golf was the equivalent of gnat on an elephant's arse in the World of Golf.  And look what they have done in less than 30 years.  They are dominant in Womens golf and they have more players ranked in the OWGR Top 200 (5) than Scotland (3).

I don't know why you are always so jaded.

You didn't mention golf in your dismissal of the country. You implied it didn't exist prior to The Cold War

If Slovakia is going to move forward in terms of golf, then they need a Slovakian to move it forward and spearhead it, not a plastic Slovakian like Sabbatini. Did Korean golf move forward due to some intolerable git marrying a Korean?
Did British tennis move forward because of Slovenian Aljaz Bedene briefly representing Britain?

I actually heard a stat this morning that the bounce in sport participation following Olympic success in any particular sport is less than 1%, so as a non Slovak in an unknown sport like golf, I wouldnt expect an insufferable nobody like Sabbatini to "move the needle" even 1/100th of that 1% in Slovakia, would you?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 4 Aug - 17:30

Slovak golf has a better chance with Sabbatini than w/o him, IMO.

That is all I am trying to say.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 4 Aug - 19:17

GPB wrote:Slovak golf has a better chance with Sabbatini than w/o him, IMO.

That is all I am trying to say.

And Fiji has a better chance with Vijay than withiut him, but who gives a f*ck? No one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 4 Aug - 23:24

One day, I will see that I can't fix stupid on blogs.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 5 Aug - 6:30

GPB wrote:One day, I will see that I can't fix stupid on blogs.

I just don't buy Sabbatini's claim that he became Slovakian to grow golf in Slovakia just because it says so on his wiki page.
Doesn't seem genuine and doesn't seem something he could make happen because he's not just an unpleasant person, he barely has a profile in the game of golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Aug - 10:25

Super

It is quite hard to work out what you have so vehemently taken against here.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 5 Aug - 10:45

McLaren wrote:Super

It is quite hard to work out what you have so vehemently taken against here.

I simply don't believe that Sabbatini has any interest in becoming a Slovakian citizen in order to grow golf in Slovakia.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Aug - 11:11

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-sabbatini-says-his-new-slovak-citizenship-isnt-about-2020-olympics

You can read his reasons here. He says growing the game in Slovakia is a bonus. It is something he has thought about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 5 Aug - 11:26

I know he stated that, but does he actually believe it? Seems like a tall tale simply designed to engratiate himself. Clearly he thinks a lot of himself if he thinks anyone in Slovakia has ever heard of him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Aug - 13:50

I hope we will now stop hearing references to BDC being a scientist. Not a major shock to find out he is an anti vaxxer. Vaccines are "mainstream, really, really mainstream". What a tool.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 5 Aug - 13:58

McLaren wrote:I hope we will now stop hearing references to BDC being a scientist. Not a major shock to find out he is an anti vaxxer. Vaccines are "mainstream, really, really mainstream". What a tool.

I think the tag "scientist" was only ever applied ironically.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 6 Aug - 12:33

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:I hope we will now stop hearing references to BDC being a scientist. Not a major shock to find out he is an anti vaxxer. Vaccines are "mainstream, really, really mainstream". What a tool.

I think the tag "scientist" was only ever applied ironically.
But a mad one for sure…

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 6 Aug - 22:14

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:One day, I will see that I can't fix stupid on blogs.

I just don't buy Sabbatini's claim that he became Slovakian to grow golf in Slovakia just because it says so on his wiki page.
Doesn't seem genuine and doesn't seem something he could make happen because he's not just an unpleasant person, he barely has a profile in the game of golf.

I am willing to give a person a benefit of a doubt. I am seen people make changes in their life for the betterment of the people around them. It would be a great risk for Sabbatini to publicly talk about his altruism because it would be easy for sardonic and cynical idividuals to call him out for it if he doesn't follow through. AKAIK, Sabbatini has not had any bad behaviour incidents for a long time despite some relatively poor play from him.

Yes, I know, you are going to describe me as polly-anne-ish. Whatever, that is what you tend to do.

I am willing to concede that you may not give people that benefit of a doubt. That is how you portray yourself on this board.

I try to see a glass as half full rather than half empty. Not always successful, but I try

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 8 Aug - 18:16

Some former recent Euro Ryder Cup members outside the Top 125

Rafa Cabrera Bello (~168th) and not playing Wyndham
Henrik Stenson is ~185th and not playing Wyndham (think he has one more year on the exemption list
Tommy Fleetwood is ~133rd, and playing Wyndham (not exempt for next year
Justin Rose is ~134th, and playing Wyndham (is exempt for next year
Danny Willett ~163rd and not playing Wyndham (might have one year left on his exemption
Frankie Monlinaro ~ 138th and playing Wyndham (exempt next season)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 8 Aug - 23:15

Quite the collapse on the back nine from both DeChambeau and English

Bryson now failed to break 40 on the back nine in his last two events he’s been in contention to win!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 9 Aug - 11:45

Good Olly

You have to wonder if twatting it as hard as you can holds up under pressure? Or whether all the other Bryson stuff just isn't conducive to being in a stable frame of mind down the back nine on a sunday?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 9 Aug - 11:52

Team Europe as it stands. Who would you add?

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 15 E8V2V23WUAA5jWP?format=jpg&name=large
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 9 Aug - 12:59

Bryson (to me at least) clearly overthinking things on Sunday.

Bryson (to me at least) not thinking clearly even a little bit on his wacky vaccine theory.

Some high drama in the Olympic golf and really surprised two Americans took gold. Maybe next year X-man can bag a major.

Two Rorys on the exhibition cup for Europe Mac?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 9 Aug - 13:28

McLaren wrote:Good Olly

You have to wonder if Muppet it as hard as you can holds up under pressure? Or whether all the other Bryson stuff just isn't conducive to being in a stable frame of mind down the back nine on a sunday?

I’m not so sure it’s an issue with his game as much as he looks to me (and from reading quotes) like he’s mentally exhausted from being a massive Mr Winklechops all the time. Lot of turmoil for him the last few months with Covid, the Brooks stuff, the caddie issue…i do wonder if he could do with some time away from the game.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 9 Aug - 13:29

McLaren wrote:Team Europe as it stands. Who would you add?

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 15 E8V2V23WUAA5jWP?format=jpg&name=large

I think Garcia and Poulter are playing well enough, with their experience added they are in.

Rose, not so much. I’d be taking Bob MacIntyre over him currently.

I think I read that Victor Perez is still only a few points off automatically qualifying? After looking at his recent results I bet Padraig is hoping not…he’s been in woeful form
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 9 Aug - 15:22

I'd be SHOCKED if two of the three Veterans (Garcia, Rose, Poulter) are not picked. There would only be two RC rookies on that team (Viktor and Shane). Fitz and Hatton do not have a lot of experience. Rahm only has one appearance but he is the #1 ranked player in the World.

GPB

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 9 Aug - 17:25

I cant see that Fat Shane is getting a pick and i dont think he'll be getting in by rights either. Fat Bob is a far more likely player based on form.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 9 Aug - 21:49

Quite an uninteresting leaderboard yesterday. Ancer, English, Hideki, Burns, Cam Smith and BdC. Not exactly TV exec favourites. And most looked liked they hated every bit of it and rather would’ve stayed at home, with BdC in a league of his own, followed by English.
But quite enteetaining regardless, watching them drop off one by one.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 9 Aug - 21:52

super_realist wrote:I cant see that Fat Shane is getting a pick and i dont think he'll be getting in by rights either. Fat Bob is a far more likely player based on form.
Agree about Shane. He doesn’t bring anything to table. On the contrary…

I’ll get my coat..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 9 Aug - 21:56

GPB wrote:I'd be SHOCKED if two of the three Veterans (Garcia, Rose, Poulter) are not picked.  There would only be two RC rookies on that team  (Viktor and Shane).  Fitz and Hatton do not have a lot of experience.  Rahm only has one appearance but he is the #1 ranked player in the World.
The European team looks shallow. Agree that Poulter is a lock by now and pleased to see Casey doing ok. But we need some more experience. Not so sure about Rose, but pretty confident Sergio will get a pick also.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 10 Aug - 21:19

Nelly Korda won the Womens Gold Medal for Golf this past weekend.  She also wears a WHOOP device.  Rory, Rickie and JT also wear one.

https://www.whoop.com/

According to her WHOOP device. her heartbeat peaked at 152 a minute after her winning putt.  And 174 when she was being awarded the gold medal on the podium.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 11 Aug - 16:15

The OWGR is being updated. See Golf Monthly article here.
Just hope Prince Drac and Robo understand it.
Some things going: minimum points levels, flagship tournaments and home rating.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 13 Aug - 14:59

GPB wrote:Nelly Korda won the Womens Gold Medal for Golf this past weekend.  She also wears a WHOOP device.  Rory, Rickie and JT also wear one.

https://www.whoop.com/

According to her WHOOP device. her heartbeat peaked at 152 a minute after her winning putt.  And 174 when she was being awarded the gold medal on the podium.

Very high heart rate for a non athletic pursuit.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 13 Aug - 17:15

I know what athletic pursuit I would like to see get Nelly Korda's heart rate to 174. drumroll
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next