The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+19
owen10ozzy
ralphjohn69
Plunky
TM2K
beninho
Davie
LadyPutt
Shotrock
superflyweight
robopz
pedro
Good Golly I'm Olly
I'm never wrong
BlueCoverman
GPB
navyblueshorts
JAS
super_realist
McLaren
23 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 18 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Dec 2020, 4:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

GPB

Either that or the players are just really good. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 18 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by beninho Sat 04 Sep 2021, 3:37 pm

super_realist wrote:Those documentaries are terrible usually.

Drive to survive is really good.

beninho

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 18 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by incontinentia Sat 04 Sep 2021, 4:14 pm

GPB wrote:Sergio must be pretty confident about getting a pick.  He is not entered in the BMW PGA next week.

I'm sure Harrington has been in contact. In fairness he is playing very well. Garcia seems like a guy who could achieve similar longevity to Mickelson, he doesnt seem to be losing any distance as he gets older.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 04 Sep 2021, 4:32 pm

Yep, don't pick up the other players ball. But that call in the solheim Cup was nonsense.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 04 Sep 2021, 4:59 pm

beninho wrote:Yep, don't pick up the other players ball. But that call in the solheim Cup was nonsense.

Had Sagstrom and Koerstz-Madsen run up and conceded a putt that quickly earlier in the match?

If not, why did they start on the 13th hole?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 04 Sep 2021, 5:02 pm

GPB wrote:
beninho wrote:Yep, don't pick up the other players ball. But that call in the solheim Cup was nonsense.

Had Sagstrom and Koerstz-Madsen run up and conceded a putt that quickly earlier in the match?

They conceded further putts , so one just past is pretty obvious. But, they were closer to the ball, they had 2 putts themselves, it was not going in, and I gather they were on the clock.

But, if the referee saw an issue, why didn't they tell the Euros before they putted. Its a total change of mindset.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 04 Sep 2021, 5:04 pm

And the opponent was on the floor.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 04 Sep 2021, 5:21 pm

beninho wrote:
GPB wrote:

They conceded further putts , so one just past is pretty obvious. But, they were closer to the ball, they had 2 putts themselves, it was not going in, and I gather they were on the clock.

But, if the referee saw an issue, why didn't they tell the Euros before they putted. Its a total change of mindset.

Agree, the referee should have intervened immediately. That's the only part of the ruling that can be disputed. The ruling was correct.

and yes, the concession could have been made but an opponent should never touch a competitors golf ball, unless given implicit permission. Nelly walking up to pick up her golf ball was not going to slow down Sagstrom's (or Koerstz-Madsen;s) pre putt routine.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 04 Sep 2021, 5:41 pm

That ball wasn't overhanging the hole, it had grass etween the ball and hole. The question is does anyone think that the player picked the ball up to deliberately cheat thinking it was going in? Or do you think she picked it up because it wasn't?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 04 Sep 2021, 6:47 pm

Golf ball is 1.68 inches in diamter, 0.84" (42.67 mm) in radius.

The center of the golf ball could 0.5" from the edge of the hole, and still overhang the hole.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 05 Sep 2021, 1:07 am

GPB wrote:Sergio must be pretty confident about getting a pick. He is not entered in the BMW PGA next week.
I don't think he cares to play in the UK much (apart from The Open) due to being taxed a lot. Don't think k he's played the BMW PGA that often.

Read somewhere that Harrington had asked him to play the event to show his form and Sergio seems to have declined. When Monty was captain he asked the same thing of Harrington and he declined. Still picked him though. What goes around comes around.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 05 Sep 2021, 4:05 am

Another thing on Nelly Korda, from my understanding, to claim to 10 seconds, you need to get to the ball within a reasonable time. Korda wasn't making any attempt to get to the ball.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 05 Sep 2021, 1:22 pm

beninho wrote:Another thing on Nelly Korda, from my understanding, to claim to 10 seconds, you need to get to the ball within a reasonable time. Korda wasn't making any attempt to get to the ball.  

That might relevant if in fact Sagstrom waited at least 10 seconds to pick up the ball. Sagstrom picked up the ball within 7 seconds of it 'stopping'.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 05 Sep 2021, 1:51 pm

So, you think Korda was taking reasonable time to get to the ball?

The 10 seconds is only relevant if, reasonable time was taken to get to the ball, for the 10 seconds to start, and if it's overhanging. But considering there was not a hope in hell that ball was going to start rolling backwards into the hole, I guess Korda didn't see the point in getting there and stayed on the floor.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 05 Sep 2021, 1:56 pm

And Salas is slow as sh*t

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Sep 2021, 3:11 pm

beninho wrote:And Salas is slow as sh*t

Was watching some of the foursomes earlier - 13 holes in 3 hours at one point, in foursomes! Shocked They all seemed very slow to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Sep 2021, 1:22 am

beninho wrote:And Salas is slow as sh*t

I was astonished to see she was early 30's, she looks in her 50's.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Sep 2021, 1:24 am

GPB wrote:
beninho wrote:Another thing on Nelly Korda, from my understanding, to claim to 10 seconds, you need to get to the ball within a reasonable time. Korda wasn't making any attempt to get to the ball.  

That might relevant if in fact Sagstrom waited at least 10 seconds to pick up the ball.  Sagstrom picked up the ball within 7 seconds of it 'stopping'.

Juat bad US sportsmanship again.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 06 Sep 2021, 2:47 am

Has anyone watched the Tour Championship over the Solheim? The TC seems pretty farcical with the nonsense handicap thingy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 06 Sep 2021, 3:12 am

beninho wrote:Has anyone watched the Tour Championship over the Solheim? The TC seems pretty farcical with the nonsense handicap thingy.
I watched it. Quite entertaining. Drama till the very end.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 06 Sep 2021, 9:17 am

GPB wrote:Golf ball is 1.68 inches in diamter, 0.84" (42.67 mm) in radius.

The center of the golf ball could 0.5"  from the edge of the hole, and still overhang the hole.

So from the picture and vid I saw it did indeed look like about a quarter of an inch of the ball was overhanging the hole. That would mean (even by your calculations) the centre had to be therefore over half an inch away from the edge. Unless the centre is pretty much on the edge it aint going to drop... period. Unless... a hurricane (none in the area at the time) or a reasonable earthquake (as far as I know Ohio not in an earthquake prone zone) manifested within the few seconds to move the ball more than half an inch then the ruling whilst by the letter of the prestated law was correct, it once again showed up the utter farce that is still capable of permeating golf and make it look utterly nonsensical.

I don't think ANY of the 4 players were that enamoured by the ruling, it remains to be seen if the Europeans are able to maybe use it as an extra motivator today or if it will eat away at them.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Sep 2021, 10:08 am

IMO, it is OK to criticize the rule, but not the ruling. The ruling was correct.

Lots of stupid rules in golf.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Sep 2021, 10:44 am

Slightly off topic, but in Ryder Cup news I believe if Bernd Wiesberger secured a top 50 finish at Wentworth he automatically qualifies on the Euro Points list over Rory, which would then knock Lowry off being automatically qualified on the world points list.
You’d figure then the captains picks would be simple - Lowry, Poulter and Garcia.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Sep 2021, 10:50 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Slightly off topic, but in Ryder Cup news I believe if Bernd Wiesberger secured a top 50 finish at Wentworth he automatically qualifies on the Euro Points list over Rory, which would then knock Lowry off being automatically qualified on the world points list.
You’d figure then the captains picks would be simple - Lowry, Poulter and Garcia.

Not at all. Wouldnt have Lowry anywhere near the team.
Perez or Fat Bob wohld be better in my opinion. Lowry is very streaky.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 06 Sep 2021, 10:50 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Slightly off topic, but in Ryder Cup news I believe if Bernd Wiesberger secured a top 50 finish at Wentworth he automatically qualifies on the Euro Points list over Rory, which would then knock Lowry off being automatically qualified on the world points list.

Prince Drac has the options shown HERE

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Sep 2021, 2:46 pm

super_realist wrote:

I'd have to disagree - no way I'd be picking them over Lowry based on recent form, Perez hasn't had a top 10 finish in 10 events (since March he's missed as many cuts as he's made). Fat Bob maybe on a gut pick, but Lowry has had a pretty consistent run in 2021, and has some good finishes in top events.
Also don't mind streaky in team events personally - put him with a solid player in fourballs and hopefully he can reel off some birdies and rely on the solid player on the holes he struggles
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Sep 2021, 4:34 pm

Been thinking about the Rules Controversy on Saturday with Nelly's ball hanging over the hole at little more today..

IMO, the ball was over-hanging the lip, not by much, But I agree that it was not going to fall in the cup

As I indicated above The center of the golf ball can be 0.75" away from the hole, and the ball would still be overhanging the lip. Diameter of golf ball is 1.68" so its radius is 0.84"

That particular hole was probably cut 4 hour prior to Nelly playing the hole. It was still in "Pristine" shape. Its a bad rule for top competition when holes are cut everyday.

But the rules are just not for Top competition. Its for the weekend warriors. I have been involved in the greens and fairways committe, talking with Golf Superintendents they have told me the workers hate cutting new holes, and new holes are not cut everyday on most courses, and I bet many courses only changes them twice a week,

After 3-4 days, old hole become "wallowed-out" and a ball that is barely over hanging the lip could actually fall in the hole. I know there has been times when I have missed a putt and the ball actually went in.

This happens with Bermuda Greens more so than Bent Grass greens on the west side of the cup.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Sep 2021, 5:04 pm

I don't see how anyone could possibly think that Shane Lowry is less consistent than Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre.

Lowry hasn't missed a cut since Bay Hill, and Perez has barely made a cut since the Masters, and MacIntyre just got done missing the cut in TWO Korn Ferry Final events. He didn't even both to play in the third event this past week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 06 Sep 2021, 6:03 pm

Congratulations to the European Team for winning the Solheim. Very well played and well deserved.

GPB

LadyPutt, Good Golly I'm Olly and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 06 Sep 2021, 6:36 pm

A good result from Stenson and he should be considered over Shane.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Sep 2021, 6:37 pm

GPB wrote:Congratulations to the European Team for winning the Solheim.  Very well played and well deserved.

A very entertaining watch, enjoyed the course and some great golf played - Leona Maguire was unbelievable
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Sep 2021, 1:34 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I'd have to disagree - no way I'd be picking them over Lowry based on recent form, Perez hasn't had a top 10 finish in 10 events (since March he's missed as many cuts as he's made). Fat Bob maybe on a gut pick, but Lowry has had a pretty consistent run in 2021, and has some good finishes in top events.
Also don't mind streaky in team events personally - put him with a solid player in fourballs and hopefully he can reel off some birdies and rely on the solid player on the holes he struggles

Dont think Shane is fit enough for a long week. Harrington will probably pick him because hes a fellow tatty muncher though.
Not sure Garcia is a shoe in, especually given tjat him and tje Penguin dont get on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 07 Sep 2021, 3:17 am

What a great solheim Cup. Americans again showing that its more them just being a good year round tour player. They were overwhelming favourites but were out played in the first session and then matched from there. Well done the Irish girl, superb performance!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Sep 2021, 4:58 am

beninho wrote:What a great solheim Cup. Americans again showing that its more them just being a good year round tour player.  They were overwhelming favourites but were out played in the first session and then matched from there. Well done the Irish girl, superb performance!

Funny to see the crowd failing to clap or show any appreciation whatsoever.
Terrible losers.

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Sep 2021, 10:46 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:What a great solheim Cup. Americans again showing that its more them just being a good year round tour player.  They were overwhelming favourites but were out played in the first session and then matched from there. Well done the Irish girl, superb performance!

Terrible losers.

You certainly do watch golf with a bias.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Sep 2021, 12:35 pm

GPB, you lecturing anyone on bias is priceless irony.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Sep 2021, 4:43 pm

I am not one that opined that Shane Lowry is less consitent than Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre.

That was absolutely no bias in that statement. Nonewhatsoever. None. Nada.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 07 Sep 2021, 6:06 pm

super_realist wrote:

Terrible losers.
I couldn’t believe the crowds flocking to the exits as soon as Europe retained the Cup! And at the end, most of the stands were empty. Poor losers. Let’s hope they’ve had lots of practice for two weeks’ time.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 08 Sep 2021, 2:02 am

GPB wrote:I am not one that opined that Shane Lowry is less consitent than Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre.

That was absolutely no bias in that statement.  Nonewhatsoever.  None. Nada.

Why do you write as if you're reading the terrible script of an awful film?

Like a lot of words that you have demonstrated to understand properly before it seems we can add bias to that list.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Sep 2021, 5:25 am

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:I am not one that opined that Shane Lowry is less consitent than Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre.

That was absolutely no bias in that statement.  Nonewhatsoever.  None. Nada.

Like a lot of words that you have demonstrated to understand properly before it seems we can add bias to that list.
He was being sarcastic. You certainly have always been very prejudiced against Lowry. I bet he makes the team and contributes richly. Even if he doesn't make it automatically, remember that the picks are about picking three players who complement the nine who qualify, and who match up well with those guys and bring balance to the team where it's needed. Lowry can do that in spades.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Sep 2021, 8:26 am

super_realist wrote:

"Like a lot of words that you have demonstrated to understand properly before it seems we can add bias to that list."

Well that is prose that would certainly make Charles Dickens envious.

Back to the actual topic of the post rather than your pathetic attempt to change the subject. How do you rationalize your "Hot Take" that Shane Lowry is less consistent that Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre. IMO, there is no other explanation than your anti Shane Lowry bias.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Sep 2021, 10:15 am

Spieth, Finau, English, Xander, Berger, and Scheffler complete the US Ryder Cup team

That makes 6 RC rookies.  (Xander, English, Berger, Scheffler, Morikawa, Cantlay)  Shocked  Shocked

English is the 2nd oldest member on the team at age 32

Edited; Forgot Cantlay was a rookie too.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Sep 2021, 2:45 am

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

"Like a lot of words that you have demonstrated to understand properly before it seems we can add bias to that list."

Back to the actual topic of the post rather than your pathetic attempt to change the subject.  How do you rationalize your "Hot Take" that Shane Lowry is less consistent that Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre.  IMO, there is no other explanation than your anti Shane Lowry bias.

Macintyre has played in 7 majors, made the cut in every single one. Two top tens in The Open, 12th in The Masters and had a superb appearance at the WGC Matchplay whilst Perez was third at that event.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Sep 2021, 3:55 am

[quote="super_realist"][quote="GPB"]
super_realist wrote:

Macintyre has played in 7 majors, made the cut in every single one. Two top tens in The Open, 12th in The Masters and had a superb appearance at the WGC Matchplay whilst Perez was third at that event.

And Lowry has a major and WGC in addition to several other top flight events. It's a complete no-brainer.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Sep 2021, 4:52 am

GPB wrote:Spieth, Finau, English, Xander, Berger, and Scheffler complete the US Ryder Cup team

That makes 6 RC rookies.  (Xander, English, Berger, Scheffler, Morikawa, Cantlay)  Shocked  Shocked

English is the 2nd oldest member on the team at age 32

Edited; Forgot Cantlay was a rookie too.
Not convinced by the Berger and Scheffler picks.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 09 Sep 2021, 5:00 am

super_realist wrote:

Lowry has made the cut in all eight of the majors he's played in the same timeframe, winning one of them as well as coming fourth at the PGA this year and a top ten at the players championship. It's not really a debate is it.

Last edited by Soul Requiem on Thu 09 Sep 2021, 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Soul Requiem

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Sep 2021, 5:02 am

According to Ryder Cup Europe, Tommy Fleetwood has already secured his RC spot. But NOT according to princedrac - at least not if we talk about automatic spots. There are still some scenarios where he wouldn't make it.

I think it's scandalous that RC Europe and the ET don't know their own qualification system.... steam

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Sep 2021, 5:06 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Lowry has played in and made the cut in all eight of the majors he's played in the same timeframe, winning one of them as well as coming fourth at the PGA this year and a top ten at the players championship. It's not really a debate is it.
Well, if Fleetwood misses out on the automatic qualification spot the ET have to give him a pick since they already confirmed him on the team. And the 2 remaining picks will go to Poulter and Garcia.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 09 Sep 2021, 9:31 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Back to the actual topic of the post rather than your pathetic attempt to change the subject.  How do you rationalize your "Hot Take" that Shane Lowry is less consistent that Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre.  IMO, there is no other explanation than your anti Shane Lowry bias.

MacIntyre making the cut in every major he has played might be evidence if you opined that he has been more consistent in majors played. But that is wasn't your "Hot Take", was it?
MacIntyre just MISSED the CUT in two KORN FERRY events. KORN FERRY EVENTS.

For what it is worth, Lowry has made the cut in his last 9 MAJORS, including a win. Not sure if a T9th in the Match play is a suberb result considering 25% of the field is T9th or better.

And Perez one Top 3 oops make that a Top 4 finish in the Match Play as his only Top 12 finish in the last 10 events just SCREAMS consistency to me.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 10 Sep 2021, 10:51 am

Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre are certainly making a case to Padraig Harrington for spots on the 2021 Ryder Cup team at the BMW PGA at Wentworth.

MacIntyre has completed 36 holes at one under and currently is T74. One shot outside the Cutline.

Perez has a few holes left in his 2nd round is at Even Par, and is two shots outside the cut.

Meanwhile, Mr Inconsistency (aka Shane Lowry) is T4th at 8 under par.

Poulter not helping his case either. three shots off the cutline, with a few holes yet to play.

GPB

LadyPutt and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 10 Sep 2021, 11:35 am

GPB wrote:Victor Perez and Robert MacIntyre are certainly making a case to Padraig Harrington for spots on the 2021 Ryder Cup team at the BMW PGA at Wentworth.

MacIntyre has completed 36 holes at one under and currently is T74.  One shot outside the Cutline.

Perez has a few holes left in his 2nd round is at Even Par, and is two shots outside the cut.

Meanwhile, Mr Inconsistency (aka Shane Lowry) is T4th at 8 under par.

Poulter not helping his case either.  three shots off the cutline, with a few holes yet to play.

Whether he qualifies automatically or not Lowry is a cert to make the team, and Perez/McIntyre (rightly) have no chance now.

I'm hoping Fitzpatrick somehow drops out too and that Wiesberger doesn't make it either. Poulter probably will get a pick although not sure he really warrants it, Garcia is a must pick and I'd definitely pick Rose too if Lowry doesn't need a pick.

ralphjohn69

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next