The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World T20 discussion thread

+17
GSC
Afro
JDizzle
Pal Joey
guildfordbat
Old Man
msp83
eirebilly
Gooseberry
Galted
VTR
Soul Requiem
alfie
king_carlos
CaledonianCraig
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
21 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

World T20 discussion thread - Page 2 Empty World T20 discussion thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 03 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Blimey, Cross takes five fours off the sixth over. 48/1 after the PP, Scotland still in the game.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

World T20 discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: World T20 discussion thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Nov 2021, 3:26 pm

85ao. If India chase this in 7.4 overs, so I'm told, their NRR will exceed Afghanistan's. Even if they fall just outside of that the game v Namibia will provide an opportunity for a further boost. It looks like the end for Afghanistan.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 05 Nov 2021, 3:49 pm

I have a feeling, that Australia are set to do a 1999 in this tournament. Hopefully, England, who usually have an absolute horror game in this tournament, will have it against South Africa. And then hopefully, perhaps Afghanistan can do a little favor to India? England instead, might run all over South Africa, New Zealand will get the better of the Afghans, and Australia might then start playing a different brand of the game in the last 2 games...
For an all too brief period, it seemed Namibia may have been on to something, before New Zealand lower middle order restored normalcy. India should get that run rate up today, having rolled Scotland for 85, but all depend on Afghanistan,...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Nov 2021, 4:20 pm

India get it done inside 7 overs. Seems straightforward now - Kiwis win v Afghanistan and they're through; Kiwis lose v Afghanistan and India are through.

Group 1 finishes tomorrow. Unless Australia get hammered like Scotland today, South Africa will have to win v England to have any chance of advancing. Technically, England still aren't through as of yet, but it would take some effort to shift them from top spot, never mind knocking them out entirely.

South Africa/England is the last of the two games tomorrow, so South Africa will know what's required of them.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Fri 05 Nov 2021, 5:03 pm

Nah, SA even if they beat England will need to bowl them out for 40 runs and get the 40 runs in two overs to surpass Australia or England net run rate

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 05 Nov 2021, 5:13 pm

Old Man wrote:Nah, SA even if they beat England will need to bowl them out for 40 runs and get the 40 runs in two overs to surpass Australia or England net run rate

My maths could be wrong but I think a SA win by 80-85 runs or chasing inside 8 overs would see them overtake Eng. Not likely the way England are going but not impossible, the first scenario more than the second.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Fri 05 Nov 2021, 5:46 pm

Considering how SA have performed I don't see the possibility of that happening.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 9:50 am

Aussies to field first. Will be hoping Starc & co are continuing their form from the last game...

Hayden Walsh Jnr replaces the aging Rampaul for West Indies. Bit of a difference in bowling style - and should be a bit more spritely in the field Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:08 am

alfie wrote:Aussies to field first.  Will be hoping Starc & co are continuing their form from the last game...

Hayden Walsh Jnr replaces the aging Rampaul for West Indies. Bit of a difference in bowling style - and should be a bit more spritely in the field Smile

Hi Alfie - I expressed surprise before the tournament started that Rampaul had been recalled. He left Surrey in - I think - 2017 and was far from a regular in their side then being considered and looking past his sell by date.

I also thought the West Indies would struggle in this WC due to old legs not being up to the job in the field. Not sure if that has particularly been shown to be the case (haven't seen all their games) but they've certainly been seen to be past their best with bat and ball. Not just Rampaul but several others - Gayle and Bravo especially come to mind - should have retired from the international scene earlier.

A very disappointing WC for the West Indies, mainly playing on past reputations.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:16 am

Brisk start for West Indies...

Gayle gone now though : that looked a bit like a "farewell" salute from him as he walked off , I thought.

35/1 off three overs.  Not bad

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:20 am

Was a decent start from the West Indies, now they've duly fallen apart. Seems like it was Gayle's last innings.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:21 am

Hi Guildford...

Yes we both doubted West Indies I think : though to be honest it's perhaps been more uninspiring bowling and some kamikaze batting rather than fielding that has brought them undone here. Not beyond them to spring a surprise here if a couple of their big hitters find their range ...

But at 35/3 with Pooran and Chase following Gayle back in quick succession I don't think that is going to happen Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:23 am

Some very nice bowling from Hazlewood , it should be said clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:28 am

Not sure who but the West Indies commentator on Sky (could be Bishop, it's not Sammy as this comm is intelligible) emphasising that Gayle should be judged not on this tournament but his whole career.

That's fair to some extent but this is a tournament in which he should have never taken part and him doing so diminishes his reputation for me.

Meanwhile, some fireworks from the West Indies but wickets falling too. 44/3 off 5.

guildfordbat

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

alfie wrote:Hi Guildford...

Yes we both doubted West Indies I think : though to be honest it's perhaps been more uninspiring bowling and some kamikaze batting rather than fielding that has brought them undone here. Not beyond them to spring a surprise here if a couple of their big hitters find their range ...

But at 35/3 with Pooran and Chase following Gayle back in quick succession I don't think that is going to happen Smile

All agreed, Alfie. Little thought to their batting and bowling which has been so disappointing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:36 am

50 off the first six - which is very decent. Three wickets - not so much.

Lewis has been quite fluent. Review against him now but this is a shocking waste from Australia ! What were they thinking ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:37 am

Terrible wasted review. Think it was only Wade and not Marsh who appealed. Might have just clipped a sixth stump. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:38 am

Here's Zampa ... hold on to your seats - something to happen surely!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:40 am

That review was brought to you in association with Tim Paine
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 10:42 am

guildfordbat wrote:Not sure who but the West Indies commentator on Sky (could be Bishop, it's not Sammy as this comm is intelligible) emphasising that Gayle should be judged not on this tournament but his whole career.

That's fair to some extent but this is a tournament in which he should have never taken part and him doing so diminishes his reputation for me.

Meanwhile, some fireworks from the West Indies but wickets falling too. 44/3 off 5.

I suppose some of the older players , including Gayle , have done quite well in the IPL ? I don't follow it too closely so I may be wrong there but had the impression that age wasn't proving a huge impediment for a few of the old stagers. Didn't Gayle make a recent big score or two ?

More hope than expectation , perhaps ; but maybe they figured if he got going once or twice he might set them up for wins. Obviously didn't work.

(I do wish that stadium shrieker on the Tannoy would throttle back a bit !)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 11:46 am

157. Two sixes from Russell right at the end. That's defendable if the West Indies bowl well. South Africa will be hoping they do!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 12:26 pm

Aussies 53/1 after the PowerPlay, Warner leading the charge. Looking like a cruise to victory for them and effectively putting South Africa out in the process.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:22 pm

Aussies putting this to bed early and boosting their NRR nicely to assure them of a semi final spot.

West Indies posted a reasonable score but their bowlers have been just taken apart. Aussies running into top form at the right time...

Ceremonial last over for Gayle Smile Actually should have had a wicket then too but the keeper fumbled it !

And then a wicket with his last ball ! Way to go out , Chris ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:30 pm

Good statement from Australia, but in truth the West Indies didn't turn up in the field. Aussies will be pleased with Warner and Marsh getting runs.

Puts South Africa out unless they thrash England. But I don't think that'll matter because I can't see South Africa troubling England, never mind thrashing them.

Pakistan v Australia and England v New Zealand seem to be the semi-final match ups.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:33 pm

alfie wrote:Aussies putting this to bed early and boosting their NRR nicely to assure them of a semi final spot.

West Indies posted a reasonable score but their bowlers have been just taken apart. Aussies running into top form at the right time...

Ceremonial last over for Gayle Smile   Actually should have had a wicket then too but the keeper fumbled it !

I would say Aussies running into Bangladesh and West Indies at the right time…
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:36 pm

Yes agree Olly, don't think Pakistan will have issues with Australia.

England win the toss and bowl, big advantage. Wood's in for Mills. Presumably South Africa will go hard at England from the off, because they need to score 180+ if they want to overturn the NRR deficit. Could mean they fall apart early, like the West Indies.

Apparently South Africa need a 61 run win or greater to qualify at the expense of Australia. Something in three figures would put England out instead.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:46 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:Aussies putting this to bed early and boosting their NRR nicely to assure them of a semi final spot.

Ceremonial last over for Gayle Smile   Actually should have had a wicket then too but the keeper fumbled it !

I would say Aussies running into Bangladesh and West Indies at the right time…

Well yes , those two teams have been pretty abject and got worse as the draw went on. But the Aussies have done a pretty thorough demolition job on both of them and you can hardly do more than thrash whoever you are facing.
Pakistan will surely start favourite but I reckon it might be more competitive than you think. You fellows were pretty dismissive of Australia earlier on (I think I recall Duty even rating them behind Bangladesh at one time ?) so I can't help thinking your assessment is slightly coloured by expectations Smile

We will see.

alfie

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:50 pm

Duty281 wrote:Yes agree Olly, don't think Pakistan will have issues with Australia.

England win the toss and bowl, big advantage. Wood's in for Mills. Presumably South Africa will go hard at England from the off, because they need to score 180+ if they want to overturn the NRR deficit. Could mean they fall apart early, like the West Indies.

Apparently South Africa need a 61 run win or greater to qualify at the expense of Australia. Something in three figures would put England out instead.

So not quite a dead rubber , eh ?

Make 200 , bowl England out for 95 , top the table ...

Good luck with that Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 1:54 pm

Will be interesting to see Wood in action with a eye to the finals. Must be fully fit , they certainly wouldn't be risking him otherwise.

Hope he stays fit !

Wonder what the power play bowling set up will be tonight ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:10 pm

Moeen and Woakes with the opening overs again ... Seems to be settled as the default option.

Has been working pretty well so far.

And Moeen has his first wicket . Hendricks basically swung and missed a straight ball...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:26 pm

This is a bit different from Van der Dussen...usually more of the "steady" role ; but he's gone after Woakes there ; quite effectively.

SA really needed a big over after that first five. 40/1 off the six.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:36 pm

These two batting rather well at present , as England burn a review...

Buttler seemed sure he'd heard something ; but it certainly wasn't the bat ! With Joel Wilson umpiring today they may regret wasting that one Smile

57/1 off eight is a fair start for SA

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:43 pm

Phew...that was a "brave" review , when you only have one left ! But at least it was umpire's call so they don't lose it.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:46 pm

That was as plumb as you like. Terrible that DRS didn't overturn it.

Decent platform established by South Africa at halfway, but they're going to need a big score just to have a chance of winning the game with the dew factor, England's destructive batting line-up and the short boundaries. 10 an over from here gets them 173 which I don't think is enough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:52 pm

DRS is ridiculous sometimes, you either trust the technology or you don't, enough of these stupid exemptions.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:53 pm

I swear Van Der Dussen always gets about 15 lives and scores all his runs against England

A modern day Peter Fulton
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:56 pm

Reckon SA are on for a pretty useful total here. Got a couple of big hitters to come so with wickets in hand the death overs might be interesting...

de Kock gone now though...Roy reliable as ever with his catching in the deep. Needed that.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 06 Nov 2021, 2:58 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I swear Van Der Dussen always gets about 15 lives and scores all his runs against England

I have to say and I first thought it last during the test series that Van Der Dussen is one of the worst international batsmen I have ever seen but he somehow scores runs.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:05 pm

Wood’s going to have to mix it up at least a little bit - they’ve lined him up pretty easy so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:07 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Wood’s going to have to mix it up at least a little bit - they’ve lined him up pretty easy so far

Yep. It's been pretty poor from Wood so far. His pace is a huge asset but on these pitches he won't be able to solely run in and hit the pitch hard just back of a length.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:08 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I swear Van Der Dussen always gets about 15 lives and scores all his runs against England

I have to say and I first thought it last during the test series that Van Der Dussen is one of the worst international batsmen I have ever seen but he somehow scores runs.

Probably wouldn't win a lot of "style" points ; but at 58 off 40 balls here I imagine he won't care Smile

And at 114/2 with six overs left England are likely to be chasing a few...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:10 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:

Yeah but I guess the old saying of ''it's not how but how many'' applies along with ''and how quickly''.

Anyway, feel England are currently behind in this one. 180+ could be on for South Africa. 114/2 off 14.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:19 pm

Jordan doing a good restraining job again. Going to be him and Wood for the last four.

Woakes getting slaughtered here in his last !

SA will be fancying 180 or more at this rate...England could really do with a wicket or two.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

Think Olly said the other day he had some concerns about Woakes in the late innings overs ? That rather disastrous over rather bears out those fears...really wasn't good.

Pressure over for Wood now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:40 pm

Some good bowling from Jordan...but England are really getting sloppy in the field.

That is three unnecessary overthrows conceded in the last couple of overs !

Wood and Woakes both gone for about 11 per over. Anyone else think Morgan might have tried Livingstone at some stage to give himself some options ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:44 pm

Four overs of absolute garbage from Wood.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:45 pm

There's the 180+.

Markram's played well. Saw him almost bat through for Hants in a RL 50 game at the Oval in 2019. In many ways a different innings from today but the intelligence and composure similar in both digs. Certainly more power on show now though!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:49 pm

Some very dim fielding has cost England a handful of runs, but very well done to these two South Africans. Woakes and Wood not executing it correctly today. Agree that Livingstone should have had a go, Jordan's got it mostly right...though he's just put one in the slot and it's carved away for six.

190 to get. Will be a challenge for England's batsmen, but I'd still back them with the dew and short boundaries to chase this down. Good to have a test at any rate!

India could be a bigger challenge than NZ, as India have the batting potential to pulverise this English attack...but NZ don't.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:51 pm

189. Brought England's bowlers back to earth a bit after their previous fine results.

Chasing at night and the pitch looks OK so England still have a decent chance - though it looks like a much more serious test than they've faced in the other matches. SA need to win by 58 apparently to qualify...Aussies might be watching slightly nervously and hoping England's bats don't have an off day.

Excellent batting from Van der Dussen and Markram clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:52 pm

alfie wrote:Think Olly said the other day he had some concerns about Woakes in the late innings overs ? That rather disastrous over rather bears out those fears...really wasn't good.

Pressure over for Wood now.

Hmm yes some of our fears about the England seam attack coming home to roost in that innings - Woakes really is rather poor at the death in this format, and as Soul points out, that was a woeful set from Wood.

I'd say above par that total, albeit definitely not out of England's capabilities. The pitch isn't a disaster, some dew is down and there is a kiddie sized boundary one end.

According to twitter England need to score 87 runs to qualify, 106 to the top the group and 132 to knock SA out. Sure the broadcast will confirm soon
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:54 pm

England have to be restricted to 131 or fewer for South Africa to qualify.

If England get dismissed for around 85 or fewer, I think, then England get eliminated.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next