The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 2022 summer tour

+41
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
sensisball
Heuer27
king_carlos
GLove39
No9
Heaf
Sgt_Pooly
Mad for Chelsea
RiscaGame
cakeordeath
Dirtydave
takethelongroad
NeilyBroon
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
majesticimperialman
funnyExiledScot
lostinwales
Mcsweens
EST
George Carlin
Margin_Walker
mikey_dragon
Tattie Scones RRN
Irish Londoner
Tramptastic
TheMildlyFranticLlama
TJ
dummy_half
demosthenes
bsando
Old Man
Highland Shaun
BigGee
RDW
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
45 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 8 Empty Scotland 2022 summer tour

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 21 Nov - 11:41

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 2022 Six Nations Lookahead

A place to discuss the rollercoaster of dark horse conversation and sheer despair. Somewhere in-between, someone will go off on a mild tangent.

Schedule
5th Feb - England (H)
12th Feb - Wales (A)
26th Feb - France (H)
12th March - Italy (A)
19th March - Ireland (A)

Scotland's recent performances
2021: 4th (3 wins, same as 2nd)
2020: 4th (3 wins, same points as 3rd)
2019: 5th (1 win, 1 draw)
2018: 3rd (3 wins, same as 2nd)
2017: 4th (3 wins, same points as 2nd)

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Sun 21 Nov - 12:20; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 8 Empty Re: Scotland 2022 summer tour

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 16 Feb - 23:40

Another option for 10, 12, 13 could be Russell, Redpath, Steyn. With Tuipolotu on the bench.
Just a thought.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Feb - 2:17

Anglobraveheart wrote:RDW, if we stick with Harris, and the lack of attacking flair, and lose, we stagnate.
If we stick with Harris we may defend ourselves to victory, but with an average of 13 penalties conceded per game so far, it is highly unlikely. That strategy failed in Wales.
We need to throw caution to the wind. Surely?

For all this talk of an over-reaction after the Englan win, I just feel the same is happening at the opposite end of the scale. We forget that these exact players got us wins over England, France, Aus and even Wales in recent years. We weren't going on about Harris' blunt attack then as the gameplan was being implemented well and working. For me the loss was more a tactics/accuracy/discipline failure than limitations of individual players like Harris.

As much as it's far fetched we are still in this - if we beat France then it's going to be a winner takes all shout-out on the last weekend. If we lose to France I could understand the desire to shake up the team, as ultimately it's playing for pride (again).

One change I do think we need is to bring Cummings back in. He gives us workload but also a huge amount of go forwards. Gilchrist and Gray are pure workhorses but Cummings provides us extra carrying and dynamism that has done us well in the past.

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 17 Feb - 7:06

Good points RDW.
I'm not one to fingerprint, but it was Jimbo that suggested we seek a Harris replacement, I was merely offering viable suggestions.
I could have gone full Toonie Tombola, and offered a 12/13 of Redpath/Jones, or even Hutchison/Jones.

That could make for fast entertainment.

Agreed on Cummings. JG has been off his game a bit, and whilst I am not a Gilchrist fan, he appears to be working hard, and I don't recall him shipping daft penalties in the way that he used to. Gilchrist/Cummings in the second row perhaps, with Skinner on the bench? - There is also Sykes and Hodgson that we could consider, but they may be too green for France in this game?
Apart from that, other changes may be Bradbury or Haining in for Fagerson junior if he has not recovered, with those from the Wales game that are fit, being given the chance to make amends in front of a sellout home crowd.
I expect us to start the Edinburgh front row, but they need to be on for 60 mins minimum, with Kebble/Turner/Fagerson to bench.
FWIW I agree about Harris being retained, and I expect the 12/13 to be Redpath/Harris.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Feb - 7:09

tigertattie wrote:More Importantly Anne Lundon is now Anne Mcalpine. I’ve missed my chance Doh
?????

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 17 Feb - 7:50

I agree about cummings coming back in. I'd also like to see Redpath and Hastings involved. If Hastings is still left out then it would be good to see Kinghorn getting some more action off the bench.

With the attack I pointed out I agree VDM could be better positioned. It gets congested and it's easy for Wales to defend. Why he's cutting in/keeping a close track to Harris I couldn't tell you. My guess is that because they're in their own half still, VDM doesn't want ot risk getting isolated if he receives a pass and also be able to clear out any rucks as he does. Perhaps if the play had been in Wales half he would have looked to stay wide?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 17 Feb - 10:21

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:More Importantly Anne Lundon is now Anne Mcalpine. I’ve missed my chance Doh
?????

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/anne-lundon/

Sad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Thu 17 Feb - 10:35

I see one or two calling for Cummings and Hastings to be included, I take it we expect additions to the squad for France game?

I'd presume someone will come in for Sutherland.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 Feb - 12:12

Anglobraveheart wrote:Good points RDW.
I'm not one to fingerprint, but it was Jimbo that suggested we seek a Harris replacement, I was merely offering viable suggestions.

T

I see someone wants a shiney badge. Erm

To be clear I wasn't giving a knee jerk reaction "shoot Harris he hasn't got Shug's outside break and shedloads of tries": I was merely applying dialectical materialism to the question of how we evolve as a team.

Anyhoo, we all know that Toonie is a huge fan of John Wooden. JW once preached that good coaches do not change tactics and line ups to suit the opposition: if you believe in your players and your systems you trust them no matter who you are up against. And yet Toonie is the Tombola Man Shocked

So Harris WILL start next week.

This makes 12 even more pivotal. I'm not convinced Tuipoluto was any better than Sam Johnson would have been. Or any worse. Toonie seems to want Redpath in the side, but against a rampant France?
I think the backs stay the same.

The front row will have to change. No Bhatti or Sutherland at LH means a start for Shoey. Possibly Kebble to bench. Zander needs to sort out his discipline and put in a decent performance.
I said before Cardiff that JG was not looking 100% his old self. Cummings in to partner GG.
The balance in the back row was not right; Toonie maight be tempted with Darge from the stat if he thinks Darge and Hamish can create a Pooper type pairing. If they played in kilts they could be Damish: if it doesn't work out they could be Pantomime Damish.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 17 Feb - 21:47

Panto dames Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 8 1f602

Who is the villain?

Harris will play 13 and that’s may need to play at 12. I don’t think we can beat France by defending all day. We’ll need to score more tries than they do. Harris there to stop them scoring, Redpath there to let us score.

Front 5 are going to have a horrible time of it. I fully agree Cummings could come in the start with GG. JG could bench of skinner is playing 6 again with Bradbury starting at 8
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 18 Feb - 7:46

I'd be very tempted to start Darge at 6. He looks more than capable to start against France and is in camp now unlike Skinner who is back at Exeter. Another possibility for me would be the mischievous Nick Haining. He caused France a lot of problems during this fixture back in 2020.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 18 Feb - 17:01

Ominous news for next weekend. The French rugby federation have agreed to 22 of last week's French 23 to be rested ahead of their Murrayfield assignment. Only Thomas Ramos is available for selection for Toulouse, as he only played in the final 10 against Ireland.
Villiere is out with a facial injury, which will weaken their defence a bit.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 19 Feb - 9:29

Well at least VDM is hitting some good form. Try and a win for Worcester partly thanks to him.. Pass it to Duhan!!!

You know what makes me really happy this week? Matt Williams unloaded both barrels at Scottish rugby and noone on here has even bothered to mention it let alone discuss it. Apologies for bringing it up now actually Very Happy

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 19 Feb - 11:47

bsando wrote:Well at least VDM is hitting some good form. Try and a win for Worcester partly thanks to him.. Pass it to Duhan!!!

You know what makes me really happy this week? Matt Williams unloaded both barrels at Scottish rugby and noone on here has even bothered to mention it let alone discuss it. Apologies for bringing it up now actually Very Happy
I was listening to Williams diatribe about Italy with a Scotland fan the other day. He absolutely lost it, basically screamed at the TV, "when this pillock was Scotland coach we were frequently worse than the current Italy side".

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Feb - 11:53

king_carlos wrote:
bsando wrote:Well at least VDM is hitting some good form. Try and a win for Worcester partly thanks to him.. Pass it to Duhan!!!

I was listening to Williams diatribe about Italy with a Scotland fan the other day. He absolutely lost it, basically screamed at the TV, "when this pillock was Scotland coach we were frequently worse than the current Italy side".
That's a good point and we welcome your apology. He who shall not be named, should not be named or mentioned.

Speaking of Scotland, the team needs to move on from only beating the lesser teams.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 19 Feb - 16:33

Look on the bright side, least the changing rooms got a makeover
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 19 Feb - 20:26

The coach who made Frank Haddock and Andy Robinson look like a pair of legends....

funnyExiledScot

George Carlin and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Feb - 15:28

No JG for the game against France, he has a foot injury and is in a boot.

Hoggy was also not selected for Exeter this week with an injury but will apparently be fit.

Maybe JG got injured in the Wales game, I did not see it but might explain his relatively poor performance.

I would think we will be looking at Cummings and Gilchrist in the row, with likely Skinner on the bench.

We may get an updated squad announcement this evening or tomorrow.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 20 Feb - 16:24

Might see CC and Cummings at lock with skinner at 6 again. Skinner at 6 vs a monsterous french pack isn’t the worst idea.

Gray may have gotten injured vs wales but I don’t think he’s been injury free at all this tourney. He was quiet vs England also. Agai T wales though he was really really slow and lethargic. Possibly aggravated something or he simply hasn’t been match fit.

Real shame seeing him like that as he’s normally such a phenomenal player.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Feb - 16:31

tigertattie wrote:Might see CC and Cummings at lock with skinner at 6 again. Skinner at 6 vs a monsterous french pack isn’t the worst idea.

Gray may have gotten injured vs wales but I don’t think he’s been injury free at all this tourney. He was quiet vs England also. Agai T wales though he was really really slow and lethargic. Possibly aggravated something or he simply hasn’t been match fit.

Real shame seeing him like that as he’s normally such a phenomenal player.

Assuming CC is GG, I thought Chris Cusiter had retired and he was never much use at lock in any case Smile

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Feb - 17:28

https://www.theoffsideline.com/scotland-v-france-jonny-gray-set-to-miss-clash-against-les-bleus/

Seems Cummings might be out as well.

That would be Skinner and GG to start and Hodgson on the bench you would have thought. Might see Sykes coming into the squad as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 20 Feb - 17:44

You know all these withdrawals might actually work in our favour Shocked It may well be that there is no point in playing safe without a recognised first choice second row pairing therefore give it a lash lads.

It looks like we're on a hiding; certainly if we play like we did in Cardiff and Les Blues play as they have been. So why not go down punching?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 Feb - 17:59

jimbopip wrote:You know all these withdrawals might actually work in our favour Shocked  It may well be that there is no point in playing safe without a recognised first choice second row pairing therefore give it a lash lads.

It looks like we're on a hiding; certainly if we play like we did in Cardiff and Les Blues play as they have been. So why not go down punching?

I was certainly someone who thought there should be a few changes after a performance like that against Wales. Looks like it is going to be happening for better or for worse!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 21 Feb - 10:14

Will be keen to see who is in the updated squad, thought it might have been announced by now. Possibly later this morning.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Feb - 11:07

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Feb - 11:36

https://www-theoffsideline-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theoffsideline.com/scotland-switch-not-a-decision-to-be-taken-lightly-says-jack-dempsey/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a8&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16456126393266&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theoffsideline.com%2Fscotland-switch-not-a-decision-to-be-taken-lightly-says-jack-dempsey%2F

Mature interview from Jack Dempsey - it's certainly a big decision he'll have to make!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 23 Feb - 11:57

RDW wrote:https://www-theoffsideline-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theoffsideline.com/scotland-switch-not-a-decision-to-be-taken-lightly-says-jack-dempsey/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a8&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16456126393266&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theoffsideline.com%2Fscotland-switch-not-a-decision-to-be-taken-lightly-says-jack-dempsey%2F

Mature interview from Jack Dempsey - it's certainly a big decision he'll have to make!

I have a feeling he will jump ships.

Hard to see him getting back in the Australia side this side of a WC and afterwards he will be probably to old for the next cycle. He also seems very settled in Glasgow and is enjoying his rugby, which he did not seem to be during the end of his Waratah's days.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 23 Feb - 12:56

BigGee wrote:
RDW wrote:https://www-theoffsideline-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theoffsideline.com/scotland-switch-not-a-decision-to-be-taken-lightly-says-jack-dempsey/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a8&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16456126393266&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theoffsideline.com%2Fscotland-switch-not-a-decision-to-be-taken-lightly-says-jack-dempsey%2F

I have a feeling he will jump ships.

Hard to see him getting back in the Australia side this side of a WC and afterwards he will be probably to old for the next cycle. He also seems very settled in Glasgow and is enjoying his rugby, which he did not seem to be during the end of his Waratah's days.

Weirdly I don't think he will.

The line about potentially wanting to return to Australia and maybe finishing his career over there and it being harder if he's regarded as a foreign player, suggests to me that he probably won't. He doesn't seem to have a real burning desire to play for Scotland and probably hopes his upturn in form could see him getting back into the Australia side, which is fair enough. Also as an aside I'm not a fan of this eligibility rule change benefiting T1 nations this way, as I'm not sure that was the intention when it came in, but like a massive hypocrite I will happily support him if he pulls on a Scotland shirt.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Feb - 20:19

That's the thing - if he commits to Scotland he's basically needing to commit to live in Glasgow for the next 5-6 years and that's a tough ask on anyone!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 23 Feb - 20:27

RDW wrote:That's the thing - if he commits to Scotland he's basically needing to commit to live in Glasgow for the next 5-6 years and that's a tough ask on anyone!

There’s still Syrians trying to get back home after being given “asylum” in Govan
tigertattie
tigertattie

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 24 Feb - 10:04

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60505263

Great interview with wee Darcy

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 25 Feb - 13:10

Neck Surgery required for Cam Redpath, so he will be out for the rest of the tournament and some.

It was a neck injury that forced him out of the squad after his first appearance last year, so this sounds motre like a chronic problem that needs fixing and one he should hopefully make a full recovery from.

His luck has got to change sometime, best wishes to him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 25 Feb - 13:29

Fingers crossed we are due some luck with Redpath after Evans, Ansboro, Taylor, Dunbar and even for a while Scott and Bennett.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Fri 25 Feb - 16:49

Big congratulations to Scotland women for their resounding victory this afternoon and qualification for the RWC 2022. First time since 2010 that they have qualified clap  clap  clap  clap

Anglobraveheart

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 25 Feb - 16:59

They played really well to, did not let up and overwhelmed Columbia.

They could give a few lessons to the boys in how to keep the foot to the throat when you got a team on the rack!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Feb - 20:14

Great result for Scotland women - they've come on a huge amount in the last 5 years.

And have a nice easy group of NZ, Australia and Wales as s reward!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Feb - 0:43

Oh to be a coach! They must be looking at Finn's performance today - and indeed his performances over the whole 6N - and wonder what the hell to do with him. If we're being completely honest his performances have been going on a gradual downward spiral for a while now,. There's been some really good but a lot of bad, and the good to Finnsanity ratio is far too much at the wrong end just now.

I'd say with confidence that the game today was one of his worst performances for Scotland. What made it worse was his all round attitude and body language. Yes we know he is an incredibly relaxed character and this isn't the first time he's been like this, but there's a big difference between coming across relaxed and looking like he just doesn't care. His kicking was aimless, he took on plays that were just never on, his passing was sloppy and his work rate was nonexistent. He had a couple of mini breaks which were the only positive.

This was posted on the other thread and has prompted me to write this

https://twitter.com/tenglishsport/status/1497659608311214080?s=21

To break it down:

1 - a completely aimlessly kick to one or the most dangerous players in the game

2 - putting minimal effort in the kick chase. If he kept up with the other player Dupont would have had 2 players against him, which could even have turned into a turnover opportunity . Instead he left his mate on his own 1 on 1 against Dupont.

3 - once Dupont breaks the only way he could have put in less effort was if he lied down and had a nap. His absence put us under a huge amount of pressure and led to huge gaps that we struggled to fill. This period of play was completely embarrassing for him.

So when the coaches see this what will they make of it? When his fellow players see this what will they make of it? Has his relationship with Toonie gone so far to the other direction now that he can't call him out after these types of displays?

If this was any other player in professional rugby he'd be dropped. It would take huge balls from Toonie to do that, which I just can't see happening.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 27 Feb - 4:55

"2 - putting minimal effort in the kick chase. If he kept up with the other player Dupont would have had 2 players against him, which could even have turned into a turnover opportunity . Instead he left his mate on his own 1 on 1 against Dupont."

I'm not sure on that one RDW. I would say he's actually covering the other attacker but going slow as to not fully commit.

The "chase" back is quite pathetic though, he just didn't seem to want to get involved.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Feb - 7:44

Sgt_Pooly wrote:"2 - putting minimal effort in the kick chase. If he kept up with the other player Dupont would have had 2 players against him, which could even have turned into a turnover opportunity . Instead he left his mate on his own 1 on 1 against Dupont."

I'm not sure on that one RDW. I would say he's actually covering the other attacker but going slow as to not fully commit.

The "chase" back is quite pathetic though, he just didn't seem to want to get involved.

I think that's giving him a pretty significant benefit of the doubt! From an early age you're taught rule 1 of a kick chase is come up as a line. The other Scotland player wasn't exactly sprinting either - Finn was just being lazy IMO.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 27 Feb - 9:59

I must admit, I remember seeing the pictures of Russell after England and thinking he just looked like he wasn't that bothered either way while the rest of the team were all smiles around him. I thought at first maybe it's a fatigue thing post-match but maybe there's some mental health issues there? He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself at the moment and isn't playing his best. Maybe an enforced rest is needed. I think we all agree Hastings should be in the squad, maybe call him and Thompson up this week and get one of them starting against Italy. Hastings in particular is in good form and playing week in week out in the Aviva premiership.

NeilyBroon

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Feb - 11:09

NeilyBroon wrote:I must admit, I remember seeing the pictures of Russell after England and thinking he just looked like he wasn't that bothered either way while the rest of the team were all smiles around him. I thought at first maybe it's a fatigue thing post-match but maybe there's some mental health issues there? He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself at the moment and isn't playing his best. Maybe an enforced rest is needed. I think we all agree Hastings should be in the squad, maybe call him and Thompson up this week and get one of them starting against Italy. Hastings in particular is in good form and playing week in week out in the Aviva premiership.

Also, we joke about it but he's really in bad physical shape right now based on the photo that came out this week, and the fact his own teammates are taking the piss out of his ponch.

I wonder if that's the issue - he's surrounded by people who joke about these things or don't feel confident in raising it with him? Like how I mentioned earlier - will the Scotland coaches take him to task for his lazy trot back after the Dupont break?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Feb - 14:44

Trying to find some positives (it is not easy this morning!)

It seems likely Matt Fagerson will be back for the Italy game. Bradbury, once again, was pretty anonymous out there and playing a whole 80 mins never suits him.

We could therefore see a back row of Mish, Darge and MF which could actually work well enough against Italy.

It was not an easy game for Christie to debut on, so happy to reseve judgement on him. Bayliss may well be worth a bench spot, as he seems to have been playing well.

I would like to see a few more changes, nsybe with some of our playmakers.

This has now unfortunately become a must win game, with added pressure for us, so i doubt Toonie will move to far off script.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 27 Feb - 18:55

Let me start with the caveat that no matter who was the ref yesterday we would have lost. We had our spells yesterday but overall we were poor. That is two games in a row where our performance has not been up to scratch. I don't know how to address this, but we continually make basic errors.

Now, with that said WTF Dickinson. In what world is that man put in charge of an international.

For the Italy game I am in two minds, I would like to see Finn and Hogg dropped and Hastings and Ollie Smith brought in. Crazy I know, but what do we have to lose

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 27 Feb - 19:41

I think Rusell and Zander Fagerson need to be dropped. Not benched, dropped.
They have both lost the plot. Finn is on a different planet and as noted above, maybe he needs some help.
Zander has become a mindless penalty magnet. He was an embarrassing liability for penalties yesterday. OK, his scrummaging was very good, but what's the point in shipping so many brainless penalties in the loose? Just brainless.
I would also echo above the need for centre changes. Either Huw Jones or Mark Bennett in at outside centre, and either Sione or Sam at inside centre.
Hastings should start at 10.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Feb - 20:01

Zander is another who looks like he’s in “undroppable” mode.

He knows nel doesn’t last 80mins at international level and there is no one else around to keep him pushing forward. His penalty count is atrocious and scrum time is still much of a lottery with the current crop of refs so he’s not invaluable in that area.

I’ve said for years Scotland have a mental fragility. Either we need to hire a sports psychologist or sack whoever is in post currently.

Also, just a note on Bradbury. I thought all in all his game wasn’t too bad. Certainly better than Haining who really was quiet.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 27 Feb - 20:10

You're spot on there TT.
The appiintment of a competent sports psychologist is long overdue.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Feb - 20:22

I did not think much of Haining or Bradbury in all honesty.

If MF is fit, he surely comes bsck in, he has been our form No.8 this season

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Feb - 20:36

Anglobraveheart wrote:You're spot on there TT.
The appiintment of a competent sports psychologist is long overdue.

Do we seriously beleive they are not using those services already, it is not exactly left field these days. I was watching a documentary about the girls who won the curling gold at Salt Lake City, they were using one back then.

Toonie is very much your modern coach into marginal gains and all that. It is almost inconceivable that some sort of support is not available if it is needed.

The point about sport pyschology is that players need to buy into it being useful for them. You can't force it on them.

After the first pandemic wave in the nhs we were all offerred stress counselling in a way thst implied that it was mandatory. My manager was a bit put out when i told them i did not want it! I have nothing against it and hopefully those that uptook it got some benefit. But at that time, i just did not feel it had anything to offer me.

Now with elite athletes, you wod hope they would have the self awareness to know if it would bebefit them or not. Or at least be open minded enough to try it.

Chris Hoy said in his biography by Richard Moore (a very good read) that when the cyclists were offered it. None of them spoke about it to each other, but they all wanted it and secretly signed up.

The reality is however, that while a sports psychologist might help. They are not likely to turn to into a true international class athlete. Maybe more likely to make ones who are alrrady good even better!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 27 Feb - 20:56

I think there was an article about a sports psychologist being used before, but I am not sure if it was a permanent post.
It needs a holistic approach to look at set up and issues that we have a a group, as well as individual reviews.
Toonie spoke last week about trusting the systems, and not following the structures when things get difficult.
So they need to work out why they fail to follow the structures when they need them.
The mentality around giving stupid penalties away also needs urgent attention.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 27 Feb - 22:09

Well, the wheels have come off the bus. England was a pretty mixed performance and Wales was abysmal. To be fair, everything that France tried came off in the first hour and Dickson was terrible however it is clear that some of our key players have taken a step back.

- Zander did alright in the scrum but the brainfarts can't continue. I would drop him for Berghan for the next two games. Don't need Nel to bench for Italy (Sebastian, Rae or McCallum can do a job for 30 minutes against Italy), really need him for Ireland.

- Russell has looked off since he realised he can't be replaced by Kinghorn. Kinghorn is not an international flyhalf but actually with the way kicking has gone he offers a counter attacking option and might be worth persisting with. Hastings to start with either of Thompson or Kinghorn on the bench would be a message for the next two games.

- Both losses have come since we dropped Sam Johnson. Redpath out, Tuipolotu looks more like an impact sub. Either Johnson or Hutchinson should start the next two games.

- Less of a key player, McInally does not seem anywhere near as influential as he once was. Ashman is a replacement and would give us a bit of bite that will be missing with Fagerson. Worth building him up for the RWC

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 28 Feb - 11:43

Hazel Sapling wrote:Well, the wheels have come off the bus. England was a pretty mixed performance and Wales was abysmal. To be fair, everything that France tried came off in the first hour and Dickson was terrible however it is clear that some of our key players have taken a step back.

- Zander did alright in the scrum but the brainfarts can't continue. I would drop him for Berghan for the next two games. Don't need Nel to bench for Italy (Sebastian, Rae or McCallum can do a job for 30 minutes against Italy), really need him for Ireland.

- Russell has looked off since he realised he can't be replaced by Kinghorn. Kinghorn is not an international flyhalf but actually with the way kicking has gone he offers a counter attacking option and might be worth persisting with. Hastings to start with either of Thompson or Kinghorn on the bench would be a message for the next two games.

- Both losses have come since we dropped Sam Johnson. Redpath out, Tuipolotu looks more like an impact sub. Either Johnson or Hutchinson should start the next two games.

- Less of a key player, McInally does not seem anywhere near as influential as he once was. Ashman is a replacement and would give us a bit of bite that will be missing with Fagerson. Worth building him up for the RWC

Zander comes across as a relatively intelligent guy in interviews, but the number of unnecessary penalties he gives away is anything but intelligent - so infuriating.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next