The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

+41
PhilBB
Rugby Fan
Collapse2005
BamBam
ScarletSpiderman
Oakdene
yappysnap
doctor_grey
propdavid_london
WELL-PAST-IT
sensisball
Highland Shaun
Filo8
MichaelT
Heaf
Maine man
Old Man
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
Recwatcher16
Mr Bounce
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pot Hale
Welshmushroom
Sgt_Pooly
profitius
Margin_Walker
Cumbrian
nathan
Poorfour
BigGee
lostinwales
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Fluxy
Hazel Sapling
No 7&1/2
king_carlos
Geordie
mikey_dragon
formerly known as Sam
45 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 19 Empty SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

GeordieFalcon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I think Schoeman has been injured for nearly all his time at Bath. Can play 10 and 15 though.

Chiefs look set to sign Leinster second row Dunne a 6ft8 122kg 21 year old for next season. Hasn't played this season yet due to an ankle injury. Replacement for one of the outgoing internationals it seems.

Just what we need!

At least your youngsters will get lots of game time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 19 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:08 pm

I do think while coaching might have a impact at Scarlets, what Peel can't get away from is the amount of past their best players he has on his hands. It's hard to say how he will fix it. I don't think their academy is that good and it remains to be seen how he can sign his way out of trouble. They are already at the overseas player limit so anyone brought in would need to be Welsh qualified.

What the Scarlets need to do next is to identify talented youngsters and start giving them 10 games a year for the next 3 seasons. After season 3 you will see if their development is good enough to remain at pro level and if they are not up to URC standard by that point you need to cut them loose. It amazes me that Dan Jones is still in that squad. He's essentially being outperformed by a 21 year old. He is just 1 of many examples down at the Scarlets.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 19 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 pm

I presume Dan Jones is maintained because it's useful to have a third choice 10 when your international flyhalf has so many injury issues.

Owen Williams, Ashley Beck, Hari Doel, Feyi-Waboso are all Welsh and available following the collapse of Wuss and Wasps. Not sure if any are of use to Scarlets but if they want to lower the age of the side the later two wouldn't be bad options. Don't know if there's any other dual qualified players but with the proximity of both to the border it wouldn't be surprising.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:35 pm

Dan Biggar is off to Toulon with immediate effect.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:59 pm

Lee Blackett confirmed as Scarlets backs and skills coach. I'm not sure why him and Peel just don't swap places. Peel was on his way to Cardiff as backs coach but then he snubbed them.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:01 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I presume Dan Jones is maintained because it's useful to have a third choice 10 when your international flyhalf has so many injury issues.

Owen Williams, Ashley Beck, Hari Doel, Feyi-Waboso are all Welsh and available following the collapse of Wuss and Wasps. Not sure if any are of use to Scarlets but if they want to lower the age of the side the later two wouldn't be bad options. Don't know if there's any other dual qualified players but with the proximity of both to the border it wouldn't be surprising.

That would be the reason for doing so, plus he used to be good. Patchell was on the bench however, so that doesn't make a lot of sense. Jones has been bloody awful. I think both Scarlets and Ospreys would love to get Owen Williams if they could afford it. He's from Ospreys region I believe but played for Scarlets. Both could do with decent fly-half cover.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:17 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I presume Dan Jones is maintained because it's useful to have a third choice 10 when your international flyhalf has so many injury issues.

That would be the reason for doing so, plus he used to be good. Patchell was on the bench however, so that doesn't make a lot of sense. Jones has been bloody awful. I think both Scarlets and Ospreys would love to get Owen Williams if they could afford it. He's from Ospreys region I believe but played for Scarlets. Both could do with decent fly-half cover.

Afford is a bit of a relative term currently. To the end of the season he should be very cheap as no one has much budget and I think Williams needed a little rehab still. The only snag will be if he's insisting on a deal beyond the end of the season though I wouldn't be surprised if he signed until the end of the season in the UK then headed back to Japan.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:50 pm

Biggar has now left Northampton. Signed for Toulon RC today.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:26 pm

Strong rumour OHC is off to Tigers - looks like they're taking over from Bath Crying or Very sad

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:35 pm

Heaf wrote:Strong rumour OHC is off to Tigers - looks like they're taking over from Bath Crying or Very sad

I've only heard that from the Ruck so presumed it was bull manure. I suspect we are looking at options with Nadolo off and both of Watson and Ashton out of contract at the end of the season. Watson might stay but I doubt Ashton will. I'd expected us to go for someone a bit more under the radar than OHC though. We've got Lachlan Shelley in the development squad having brought him over from Australia in the summer and he's pretty quick but otherwise we aren't well stocked at wingers coming through.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:19 pm

Times reporting OHC so suspect it is true. Delighted if so. Cracking attacking winger who should suit the game plan given his power. I'm a touch sceptical he has the all-round game to transfer to a long term international winger. Though would be delighted to be proven wrong of course! He's already a fantastic Prem winger at a young age though.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of Nadolo, Watson, Ashton and Saumaki weren't with Tigers next season so it makes sense Tigers are targeting a young starting XV winger. Steward, OHC and Potter would be a very good but also young back three.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:30 pm

I suspect we'll keep Saumaki because he's cheap and a useful squad player. Agree on the others though. Watson opting to join on a one year deal really does sound like he's off abroad post world cup.

The left wing under Borthwick has tended to be the strike running option. Comes off the wing to look for work and offer options. Mainly been occupied by a PI options but also Porter and Ashton. Watson was trialled there Vs Quins but injury cut that experiment short. I haven't watched an LI game in a little while will have to pick one out and see what OHC is doing but I don't particularly remember him being that kind of player. More of a hug the touchline and hope he gets the ball in an inch of space because he's rapid with good leg drive and a step. He'd have to up his kick chase game though that tends to be the remit of our right winger which is nearly always Potter (and for good reason).

Certainly be interesting to see him in green, red and white, hopefully scoring a lot of tries along the way.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:11 am

Harri Doel seems to have signed for Llandovery.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:42 am

Oakdene wrote:Harri Doel seems to have signed for Llandovery.

Good for him. I suspect he'll score a lot of tries for them as he looked dangerous for a struggling Wuss team.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:48 pm

Confirmed that Kitshoff is joining up after the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63570869

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:17 pm

Maine man wrote:Confirmed that Kitshoff is joining up after the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63570869

I thought that was all but confirmed weeks ago, with Sutherland there until the end of the season - I wonder where he'll go as he surely wouldn't stay at Ulster.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:12 pm

Worst kept secret but not confirmed before today.

The signing suits Sutherland and is a perfect fit for Ulster.
Top class LH for Ulster who can keep himself fit and put himself in the shop window for others

Last edited by geoff999rugby on Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:39 pm

I didn’t know that Munster signed Kiran McDonald.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:46 pm

Exeter Chiefs have signed Welsh youngster Immanuel Feyi-Waboso. I was hoping he would come back to Cardiff after Wasps went bust, but never mind, at least he is playing for a decent club, a lot of Welsh players at Exeter though.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:38 pm

For me, Exeter have to be one of the best in world rugby at bringing through players. They’ve done it with a number of championship guys and youngsters.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:28 pm

I might have missed this but Marchant is set to sign for Stade Francais. He probably didn’t need to wait much longer for England honours.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:36 am

Marchant is young enough to go to France earn some cash and gain some different life experiences and then come back after two years and try for the next world cup. A couple of years in Paris isn't the worst thing and it's only a train ride back home to London.

Chiefs are good at bringing through players but it does tend to be in certain positions. Not the place to go if you're an openside. Being able to source players from Devon, Cornwall and the South Coast where there's a number of rugby clubs certainly helps their academy.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 am

Exeter don't look as though they play with your typical open-side, and they don't need to. That's the way the game is going when you see what France, NZ (without Cane) and SA can put out.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:22 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Exeter don't look as though they play with your typical open-side, and they don't need to. That's the way the game is going when you see what France, NZ (without Cane) and SA can put out.

No they play with a lock at 7 or a hybrid lock/6 most the time. When Simmonds is there he offers something different from 8 as he's not bad at the breakdown otherwise it's pure brutality.

I think it is a skill they are missing and could do with incorporating as sometimes when they can't out muscle the opposition they fall short as there isn't much of a plan B.

I think New Zealand are in unusual position where their best 7 is an absolute monster who can play 6/7/8. Ardie Savea does the breakdown stuff he just seems to do everything else as well.

SA play with either Kolisi or van Staden as their openside. France don't tend to have one but they have some very well rounded units in there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:12 pm

Barbeary goes to Bath.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:58 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Barbeary goes to Bath.

Wow didn't see that one coming but probably should have done, they've hoovered up a number of the former Wuss guys.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:59 pm

Seems everyone wanted him including a few French apparently.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:13 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Exeter don't look as though they play with your typical open-side, and they don't need to. That's the way the game is going when you see what France, NZ (without Cane) and SA can put out.

No they play with a lock at 7 or a hybrid lock/6 most the time. When Simmonds is there he offers something different from 8 as he's not bad at the breakdown otherwise it's pure brutality.

I think it is a skill they are missing and could do with incorporating as sometimes when they can't out muscle the opposition they fall short as there isn't much of a plan B.

I think New Zealand are in unusual position where their best 7 is an absolute monster who can play 6/7/8. Ardie Savea does the breakdown stuff he just seems to do everything else as well.

SA play with either Kolisi or van Staden as their openside. France don't tend to have one but they have some very well rounded units in there.

There are Welsh open-sides out there somewhere. Will Boyde, Sam Lewis, if Exeter needed decent ones. There's also Andy Robinson's son, not sure if he's still attached to Cardiff. Would make more sense if Simmonds was off.

SA have played with 3 No.8's in the back-row, pretty scary but they were also quite one-dimensional. Bulls do it often too, probably less so going forward with MVS back there. SA and now France seem to have an abundance of players similar to Itoje, that can slot anywhere in the back 5 of the pack.

I don't get why NZ persist with Cane when they have so many athletes at 6,7 and 8. Ardie is probaly a 7 but looks good anywhere and everywhere, Papalii is also a good all-rounder. All big guys that are good at everything. Pivac decided to go up against them with two fetchers which hasn't been effectice in years, even Australia stopped. The the guy is clueless.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:30 am

Bath’s backrow is looking really powerful, Hill, Underhill and Barbeary are all beasts.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:33 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Bath’s backrow is looking really powerful, Hill, Underhill and Barbeary are all beasts.

When Underhill and Barbeary are fit, which doesn't appear to be very often. Miles Reid is a really handy flanker for Bath, he gets through a mountain of work. He and Hill are a good combination that Bath should build around.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Launchbury off to Toyota verblitz for the rest of the season and then Harlequins supposedly.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:33 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Launchbury off to Toyota verblitz for the rest of the season and then Harlequins supposedly.

Sounds like both he and Quins wanted it to happen immediately but there wasn't enough cap space.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:19 pm

Isn’t Barbeary a hooker who can play flanker?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:35 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Isn’t Barbeary a hooker who can play flanker?

He played hooker in age grade but when he broke into the first team he played both hooker and backrow but increasingly backrow as he's an explosive carrier but hadn't managed to develop the tight skills a hooker needs. He's pretty much just an 8 now.

The young Wasps hooker who does look the business and who has covered 7 during an injury crisis Gabriel Oghre is surprisingly still available.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:00 am

Bath seem to be going from rags to riches in the back row. Last season we barely had three fit back rowers consistently available. Hill, Underhill and Barbeary is enticing but now there are also Ellis, Williams, Bayliss, DeCarpentier, Reid, Cloete, Coetzee, White and Tonks. Staddon and Merighan got a ridiculous amount of game time last season too and still in the academy now.

Favourite player is Ellis who has a huge work rate for his size and gives his all every time. Bayliss, Reid and DeCarpentier should all play in the centre as all are rapid. De Carpentier has actually played on the wing on occasion last season.
VG is still recruiting, apparently a massive SA TH prop, currently in France is coming shortly. That must be the cap full.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:45 pm

Well Bath might as milk the injury dispensation and any spare cap for all it's worth. They need to rebuild and if gifts fall into your lap you should take them. Who wouldn't want players you can build around for the next decade.

Bryce Hegarty has left Tigers early and returned to Australia as was reported in the summer. He's got a deal at the Western Force who've got a young 10 who needs experienced back up and they also want some depth at 15. He's a good all round player and was unlucky to join Tigers at a time when Freddie Steward was emerging. Hegarty is apparently hopeful of making the Wallaby RWC squad but I can't see that. His leaving early and having not played so far this season due to a niggling injury does leave ample space for Atkinson to join Tigers though which is very useful long term.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:33 am

Jacob Umanga joins Treviso until the end of the 2023/24 season. So a 18 month deal.

Think that is a great signing for Benetton.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:59 am

Welshmushroom wrote:Jacob Umanga joins Treviso until the end of the 2023/24 season.  So a 18 month deal.

Think that is a great signing for Benetton.

He's a very attacking minded flyhalf and a good goal kicker. I wouldn't be expecting him to be doing much in defence based on previous performances though he's like the old flyhalf stereotype in that respect. He's also about as likely to score a try as cost his team one, he's a bit flaky but also young so experience might help him get over that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:10 am

Two i may have missed that are ones for the future...

Ollie Hartley the wasps 12 to Saracens...
Alfie Bell the Wasps lock to Exeter...

Both ideal places to develop their huge potential

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:14 am

Hartley looks a real talent....Sarries could really do something with him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:16 am

Saw Hartley against Donny, he wasn't good despite them thrashing Donny. That said I saw Cokanasiga against Donny and he was a right donkey at that time!

Didn't realise that Marchant has a move away from Harlequins booked in, completely past (passed, which is it?) me by.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:50 am

I saw Hartley play in the PRC for Wasps out of position at fullback. He's got good skills and pace for a big lad, set up the first Wasps try with a perfectly weighted dink in behind for the winger. Sarries will no doubt be looking for him to be Tompkins understudy. At 20 he's 6ft4 and 15 stone so there's plenty of him to put about. Be interesting to see how he develops.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:10 pm

i see Hassle Collins to Tigers is looking a done deal.

And apparently Jack Willis also joining after his stint abroad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:23 pm

Andy Friend to depart Connacht at the end of the season.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:43 pm

Geordie wrote:i see Hassle Collins to Tigers is looking a done deal.

And apparently Jack Willis also joining after his stint abroad.

Yeah Tigers will need some wing reinforcement. Watson only signed a one year deal, Nadolo goes in the new year and Ashton is likely off as well. Saumaki will be out of contract but likely retained. OHC should fit nicely into Tigers system on either wing.

Willis would be nice, use him and Reffell in rotation to keep both fit and ensure a full 80 mins of breakdown chaos for the opposition but there's a lot of rumoured options for Willis.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:53 pm

Apparently Reffell going to Scarlets Sam, Willis is the replacement.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:59 pm

OHC is an ideal signing for Tigers. Suits the game plan very well. I've said a few times I wonder whether he has the all-round game for international rugby. He's not dire in any department at all but kicking and high ball work wouldn't be considered strengths. To succeed at international rugby long term without being strong in those areas you tend to need the individual attacking threat of guys like Duhan, Koroibete, Tuisova, etc. OHC isn't quite there but is already a terrific Premiership winger who might develop beyond that.

Tigers will need more good recruitment in the back three though. Nadolo and Hegarty are both already gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson went abroad next season. Ashton hasn't quite been hitting the heights this season, maybe age catching up. Whilst Saumaki is a weapon in attack but getting basically no game time due to weaknesses elsewhere. Steward is then nailed on with England so misses half the season now. An area that needs strengthening. Especially with the Borthwick game plan that needs solidity at the back and a strong kick chase.

Willis depends on the cap presumably. Reffell is rumoured to have signed a long term deal with rolling extensions similar to Tomas Francis when at Chiefs. I really rate Willis but we'd be tying up a lot of cap in Reffell, Willis and Wiese who will miss games for international. I'm also expecting Emeka Ilione to debut in the Prem this season and settle in very quickly if he stays fit.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:20 pm

Geordie wrote:Apparently Reffell going to Scarlets Sam, Willis is the replacement.

I thought Dan Thomas was heading there, unless both of them are.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm

Only what ive heard on the grapevine. Doesnt mean its necessarily true

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:00 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Geordie wrote:Apparently Reffell going to Scarlets Sam, Willis is the replacement.

I thought Dan Thomas was heading there, unless both of them are.

I thought Dan Thomas would have been with us longer, was thinking the season but alas it looks like it was only for the 2 games.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Yeah the rumours down in Leicestershire were that Tigers had agreed a rolling contract with Reffell because the club knew he'd get capped by Wales and both he and the club didn't want him to have to leave. Unless something dramatic has changed or those rumours are indeed garbage then he won't be going anywhere.

Now Tigers are struggling a bit for opensides with Reffell the only one in the first team squad and van Staden only lasting one season so aiming for a second high quality option wouldn't be a shock. If some of the younger guys coming through can take the roles of squad players coming out of contract then there could be some shuffling of squad to allow for room. Willis might not be getting the grand sort of deal England internationals are used to either rather a more modest contract that can be topped up nice by England match fees.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next