The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2022

+19
AlciG
Soul Requiem
Galted
Oakdene
slashermcguirk
westisbest
Born Slippy
theslosty
Duty281
CaledonianCraig
alfie
MrInvisible
No name Bertie
Oioi
dummy_half
sirfredperry
JuliusHMarx
Henman Bill
naxroy
23 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wimbledon 2022 - Page 7 Empty Wimbledon 2022

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun - 7:57

First topic message reminder :

Serena Williams has been granted a wildcard and will play

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2022 - Page 7 Empty Re: Wimbledon 2022

Post by No name Bertie Thu 7 Jul - 6:26

If Nadal has pulled an abdominal muscle I am not sure how quickly that can heal.  I think it usually takes a week or more.

ps apparently Djokovic tore an abdominal muscle in his third round victory over you guessed it Taylor Fritz at the 2021 Australian Open but went on to lift the trophy.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/djokovic-australian-open-2021-final-reaction
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 7 Jul - 17:29

As we wait to see if Rafa will be fit enough to play his semi - my guess is that he will be - we have the women's semis today.

Jabeur should have too much for mum-of-two Maria while I'm tipping Halep to beat Rybakina as long as she gets a reasonable number of first serves in.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 7 Jul - 19:05

sirfredperry wrote:As we wait to see if Rafa will be fit enough to play his semi - my guess is that he will be - we have the women's semis today.

Jabeur should have too much for mum-of-two Maria while I'm tipping Halep to beat Rybakina as long as she gets a reasonable number of first serves in.

But this being women's tennis, don't be surprised if Maria and Rybakina both win in straight sets...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 7 Jul - 20:27

Hope Halep wins the women's singles. About the only woman's player I would pay to watch. Mind you I was at Wimbledon last weekend and saw the Cornet match vs Swiatek, Cornet great to watch but she is out now. I also saw the Tsitsipas vs Kyrgios match. Really hope Nadal sends that circus clown packing, his constant moaning on court is a joke and I dont know how the other player can concentrate with him doing it while players are getting ready to serve.

Nadal vs Djokovic final would be great.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 7 Jul - 22:07

Halep has been in great form this tournament - not dropping a set so far. At 30 and with regard the slams she has blown hot and cold it seems, winning Wimbledon in 2019, winning the French Open in 2018 and finishing runner up thrice, and getting to the quarters and beyond fifteen times.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 0:18

First set to Jabeur 6-2. Match riddled with UEs and of a poor standard.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 0:35

Oh dear. The Jabeur-Maria semi so bad that I've switched off. Practically every point won by a UE.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 1:20

Ons Jabeur beats Tatjana Maria 6-2 3-6 6-1 to become first Arab woman to reach a major final.
Really happy for Jabeur but that was a shocking match, one of the worst of the tournament.
The level was very, very low. In three one sided sets, there was a combined UE count of nearly 60...

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 1:24

Not often I switch off a match half-way thru but that was really dreadful.

Only good thing is that Jabeur won, in that she just has to play better in the final.

When you think that Ons has chalked up a lot of wins of late then it really does say something about standards.

Also, Swiatek, who was on an incredible winning streak, looked quite horrible at Wimbledon this year.

* Good old Sue Barker just said what "an entertaining match" that was. Oh dear.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri 8 Jul - 2:08

7mm tear.

is that a small or large tear? I have no clue

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 2:19

Seems bizarre Nadal would play with a tear - abdominal tear can take up to 8 weeks to recover.
Seems like he’s wrecking his chances for New York

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 2:28

Rybakina takes the opening set 6-3. Her power is bullying Halep at times. She had break points in every single Halep service game…on another day this could’ve been a 6-0 set…

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 2:49

Four unforced errors and suddenly Halep gets it back on serve at 2-2 in the second set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 2:53

But a dreadful DF from Halep hands the break back. Rybakina leads 3-2

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 3:07

Elena Rybakina beats Simona Halep 6-3 6-3. The Kazakh was far too powerful and Halep’s serve was atrocious.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 3:12

Startling difference in serving in that semi. While Halep was chucking in numerous DFs, Rybakina was banging down on super-fast aces.

Whether she can repeat that in the final is another matter, especially as I think Jabeur, who was fairly dreadful at times today, will play better on Saturday.

So will Putin get his PR boost after all with a Moscow-born player (Rybakina) taking the title.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri 8 Jul - 4:51

Jeff Navarro wrote:Seems bizarre Nadal would play with a tear - abdominal tear can take up to 8 weeks to recover.
Seems like he’s wrecking his chances for New York

I dont understand either.
For what we saw yesterday, he is capable of playing, but he cant serve at his average level... against Kyrgios I dont know if it would be enough, but I am sure it would be impossible to beat Djokovic with that slow serve.

He cant win, there are no atp points, and he could do really well at the USopen, why risk the hardcourt american season???

I understand that he wanted to end the match yesterday, but not so much that he plays tomorrow. The best he can get is a hurtful demolition by Novak

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 5:11

Nadal has withdrawn. Kygrios into the final

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri 8 Jul - 5:27

Sad, but logical. Good decisíon

I so much wanted him to win Wimbledon... but even without the tear... it looks like Novak is too strong

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 8 Jul - 5:42

Huge advantage to kyrgios now, easier quarter final and now a bye into the final. Never thought I would say this but I think he will win it now. Feel awful for nadal, terrible way to go out

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 8 Jul - 5:53

So he played through his foot pain - what was the main concern heading into Wimbledon - but ended up busting a gut. I suppose it is a sign of age.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Fri 8 Jul - 6:02

At least it should satisfy Soul Requiem that Nadal was really injured

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 8 Jul - 6:09

I can’t believe kyrgios could be about to win Wimbledon, cam safely say I never thought I would say that

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 6:51

Tough luck on Rafa but now a great chance for Kyrgios who will have to behave himself on CC on finals day probably in front of royalty.

Can't see Norrie doing much against Djoko. Doubt he'll win a set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 8 Jul - 6:59

So I think that leave Rafa unbeaten in slams this year.

Fritz might be a bit annoyed at how it turned out.

So might ticket holders for the semi - I assume one ticket gets you both semis still like it used to? Would be nice if they could rustle up some oldies that are probably hanging around the commentary box for a doubles match? I vote Boris Becker be allowed out of jail for a few hours to take part.

Good day for Krygios. He just probably earned 500,000 pounds for doing nothing. Pretty decent.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 8 Jul - 9:06

AlciG wrote:At least it should satisfy Soul Requiem that Nadal was really injured

Players that injured don't go on to play four more sets of tennis.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 8 Jul - 9:34

Soul Requiem wrote:
AlciG wrote:At least it should satisfy Soul Requiem that Nadal was really injured

Players that injured don't go on to play four more sets of tennis.

I've seen plenty of rugby players get injured during a game, finish it and not.be able to play for a week/month afterwards despite having a week to recover for the next match. Adrenalin and muscle injuries allow for performance in the immediate aftermath but have consequences when things calm down. As a species we'd have died off long ago if every muscle injury was immediately debilitating as fight or flight wouldnt be possible. This wasn't like Zverev rolling his ankle and tearing ligaments.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 10:28

The match went 5 sets because of Fritz’s incompetence. For sets 2 and 3, Nadal was hardly moving. He was pretty much hitting single handed backhands. Yet Fritz kept hitting to Nadal’s forehand.
If Fritz can’t beat Nadal under those circumstances, he should be the one questioned. Not Nadal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Jul - 10:32

Anyway back to the semifinal, it can’t be just me thinking the pressure has just massively increased on Djokovic? He missed Melbourne and will miss New York. Chopped down by Nadal in Paris.
Now there’s no Nadal here, Djokovic is overwhelming favourite. But 2022 hasn’t been as planned for the Serb...
Partisan crowd will favour Norrie, this kind of thing normally gets under Djokovic’s skin.
Should be make the final, Kygrios is probably the one man he wouldn’t want to face.
Big few days for Djokovic’s race to surpass Nadal’s #22

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 8 Jul - 13:40

A few days ago , I was rather hoping for a (rare these days) high placing for an Australian man - in the person of De Minaur...

But the idea that the appalling Kyrgios might actually win the thing has me summoning my inner Djokovic fan !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 18:48

Alas, Alfie, the "appalling" Kyrgios can really play and, indeed, could well win.

I have no time for his behaviour but a lot of time for his tennis. IMHO, he's the most gifted and talented player out there at the moment.

So, yes, Djoko should be worried.

So just how many games will Norrie get today? I'm guessing no more than 12.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 8 Jul - 18:51

I must be in a minority of one who would want Kyrgios to beat Djokovic.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 8 Jul - 19:05

If Norrie wins today I can definitely say I will not be watching that final !! I still think this is Kyrgios tournament to lose. He now has a free pass into the final, will be completely rested and Djokovic has been below par most of this year. Even coming from a big fan, he has been a shadow of the player he was last year. I think other than 2017 which was his worst ever year pre elbow surgery, this is probably the one year you would want to face him.

I really hope Djokovic wins but I am not convinced he will

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 8 Jul - 19:48

It's going to be hugely embarrassing for Wimbledon if Kyrgios wins and is then done by the authorities for domestic abuse.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 8 Jul - 20:02

slashermcguirk wrote:If Norrie wins today I can definitely say I will not be watching that final !! I still think this is Kyrgios tournament to lose. He now has a free pass into the final, will be completely rested and Djokovic has been below par most of this year. Even coming from a big fan, he has been a shadow of the player he was last year. I think other than 2017 which was his worst ever year pre elbow surgery, this is probably the one year you would want to face him.

I really hope Djokovic wins but I am  not convinced he will

To be fair, he hasn't had the chance to play that much, although I have little sympathy because that is for a self-inflicted reason. When he has played, he's still managed a win at the Rome Masters and narrowly lose the Madrid SF to Alcaraz, so his form, such as it is, hasn't been bad, just not as dominant as his best. Add in a Wimbledon final or title (and I would still have him favourite over Kyrgios, based as much on mentality and being familiar with the situation), and it's still a very ood set of results.

Will be an interesting final at least as Kyrgios is such a wildcard, both in terms of how he plays and in what might happen emotionally - he certainly won' try to just out-Djokovic Djokovic from the back of the court.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 8 Jul - 20:03

When Boris Johnson intervened to pressurize Wimbledon to ban individuals that happened to be from Russia and Belarusia, against the ATP and WTA ruling that individuals won't be penalized but all national symbols to be removed, I guess he couldn't imagine how well things could have gone. Firstly we could have someone who is a no-vaxer winning Wimbledon or someone who is a bad boy and possibly a domestic abuser (court case pending) winning the Mens tournament and we could have a Moscow born Russian native winning the womens tournament. Meanwhile Boris Johnson who seemed keen in sending Britain into economic and military War against Russia has had to resign in ignominy.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

sirfredperry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jul - 22:05

Rather hoping Rybakina wins tomorrow prompting the inevitable headlines in Russia how Moscow born woman has won Wimbledon
It would show just how silly and ill-thought out the ban was.
I'm also quite happy with Kyrgios winning .

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 9 Jul - 1:48

Bit of a nightmare start by Djoko who goes a double break down, with Norrie serving for the set at 5-2 (That's five of the 12 games I gave Cam, already)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Sat 9 Jul - 1:54

Novak looking a bit flat, but should still win this in 4... No way does Norrie have the game to beat him

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 9 Jul - 1:56

This reinforces what I said before, Djokovic a shadow of the player he was last year. This is a lad that he beat 6-2 6-1 late last year. Djokovic should not be losing a set to Norrie let alone a match. Bleak

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 9 Jul - 2:00

That's the fifth set Djokovic has dropped so far this Wimbledon which considering who he's played is a lot, age catches up with everyone eventually. He should still win this in four but goes to show the potential dent Berrettini or Cilic could have made on this tournament.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 9 Jul - 2:21

Djoko looking a bit more like it in the second set but Norrie holds for 3-3 after saving two BPs.

For me, Norrie is no more than a top 25 player. He doesn't really have a big enough game to upset the big boys. Djoko in four, I think.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 9 Jul - 2:26

Norrie's main weakness - the horror service game - surfaces at 3-4 and Djoko will now serve to level the match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Sat 9 Jul - 2:46

Djokovic is there for the taking, but Norrie not up for it.

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 9 Jul - 2:46

I reckon that's game, set and match.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 9 Jul - 2:50

Djoko not really having to do much more than keep the ball in, knowing Norrie just does not have the big shots necessary to put you under pressure.

Pretty poor fare for a semi, to be honest.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 9 Jul - 2:59

A truly woeful match

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 9 Jul - 2:59

A truly woeful match

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Sat 9 Jul - 3:16

Over and out... what a terrible match

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Sat 9 Jul - 3:17

I'm going to find something else to do with my time... Enjoy the rest of the match guys

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next