The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 5 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 5 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:57 am

Very kind of umpire Wharf to give Latham out lbw...saved by review which showed impact was outside : but by giving it on field he probably saved Abrar from wasting Pakistan's last referral Smile

73/1 and the NZ lead is up to 114 as we approach lunch...

Rain did for the latter part of the day in Sydney so Australia might need to get a move on in the morning. More rain around , I believe ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:09 am

Pretty much the perfect session for NZ. Got the last wicket in the first over, and have scored at 3 an over, losing only one wicket, setting up a superb platform.

Will be curious to see how brave they are with the declaration. Another 50 overs batted @ between 4 and 5 rpo would leave Pakistan 318-368 to chase in 100 overs. Somewhere in that region?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:27 am

Declaration timing will be a talking point as usual Smile

As long as they don't get bowled out of course. But so far the pitch hasn't exactly turned into a spitting cobra so you'd think they are in a good position to dictate terms as the day goes on. Supposed to be another 62 overs today - and if Abrar and Salman bowl a fair bit they should just about get them in.

So : lead of 320+  and ten overs tonight ?  Hasn't been more than 310 scored on any one day of the match so chasing much more than that might be enough to send Pakistan into block mode...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:42 am

SA seems to have not even turned up for this test series. Good for Aus but very hard for neutral spectators to follow with any interest.

In the other test.....NZ have checked all the boxes of right things to do this morning.
Now they need to get to as many as they can until half an hour before close and stick Pak in for 6 overs tonight
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:00 am

True the SA challenge to Australia has just not materialized...to be honest I didn't ever think it would. Their batting is currently perhaps the weakest of all the major Test playing sides ; and although they have some good pace bowlers I don't think they are quite as good (except on very helpful pitches) as their own management would like to think ... hence why they keep picking five of them despite the lousy batting !

Nortje has been lion hearted and regularly looks the most dangerous but just hasn't had the support ; with Rabada well off his best , Ngidi ineffective and Jansen struggling a bit when forced into long spells. The less said about Maharaj the better ; and I was disappointed with Harmer today after a promising start on Wednesday.

To be fair to the bowlers : this looks a road and the Aussie top five are a pretty handy outfit , especially at home !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:19 am

Pakistan miss out on dismissing Latham due to not reviewing.

Feel sorry for Babar, the keeper is useless at adjudging these.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 am

Duty281 wrote:Pakistan miss out on dismissing Latham due to not reviewing.

Feel sorry for Babar, the keeper is useless at adjudging these.

Didn't cost them too many...but I guess Abrar has a touch of the Stuart Broads when it comes to lbw appeals and after two wasted reviews and one decision reversed on appeal Babar had stopped listening to his pleas Smile

..but now he's got Williamson ! And suddenly the NZ path is a little more clouded at 114/3...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:25 am

alfie wrote:Declaration timing will be a talking point as usual Smile

As long as they don't get bowled out of course. But so far the pitch hasn't exactly turned into a spitting cobra so you'd think they are in a good position to dictate terms as the day goes on. Supposed to be another 62 overs today - and if Abrar and Salman bowl a fair bit they should just about get them in.

So : lead of 320+  and ten overs tonight ?  Hasn't been more than 310 scored on any one day of the match so chasing much more than that might be enough to send Pakistan into block mode...

Hi Alfie - atm, think your caveat more likely to come into play than the declaration. Lead of 179 but 4 down and Mitchell is apparently Uncle Dick in the changing room. 

Bracewell now at the crease at number 6. Been unsure about him this series. Even seems too high at 7 and an ordinary and perhaps unnecessary third spinner.

Fully with you, btw, about Abrar's appealing but got to give the young guy a lot of credit for his wonder catch of Latham which brought Pakistan back into this Test strongly.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:32 am

Yes the "bowled out" chances have been increased lately. Can't watch at the moment ; but I wonder if batting will be easier as the ball gets older ? Did seem to on earlier days...

Mitchell is still sick ? Or maybe just can't bat until seven after not fielding ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:48 am

A very good session for Pakistan with the ball, but a couple of wickets light relative to how well they bowled.

They got it reversing plenty and there's turn out there for the spinners. Which is perhaps good news for New Zealand tomorrow. Blundell has looked in decent touch, he prevented it being a total collapse, and Bracewell has somehow survived.

Not sure if the Kiwis will be interested in a declaration now with the run rate coming down in that session. The lead would only be around 280, with 10 overs left in the day, if they go at 4 an over from here. And 4 an over would be tough!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:56 am

Meanwhile, Gary Ballance is going to play T20s for Zimbabwe, and Zak Crawley has struck a 50 in the Big Bash.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:05 am

NZ 192 ahead, 6 wickets in hand, 35 overs in the day are well placed "in drivers seat"
go at 3RPO for 20 more overs without losing more than a wicket and then smash 50 to 70 odd in 8 or 9 overs after that

and put Pak in chasing 310ish in 5 overs of spin with 7 close-ins tonight & 90 overs tomm.
that would make it a 70-25-5 scenario of NZ win, draw and Pak win
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:00 am

No breakthroughs for Pakistan since the resumption, a dropped catch not helping, and they're noticeably slowing the pace of the game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:02 am

in next 10 overs NZ need to get min 60 and declare
a few overs will be lost to light and change
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:34 am

Doesn't look like NZ are interested in trying to force a result. A shame. Styris very vocal in his criticism.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:38 am

Think we can forget about "bowled out " Smile

Not sure about the declaration either - which is puzzling. Six wickets in hand and surely a bit of a push now could see the lead over 300 with a few overs to bowl tonight ?

Don't really think anyone is going to score 300 plus on the fifth day here so surely worth a try ? I think you can stay in easily enough on this still : but scoring fast for a prolonged period is another matter.

If they wish to declare tonight I think they have to go after it now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:50 am

Bracewell plays out a maiden. Just pathetic. Another step toward the demise of test cricket.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:53 am

Think they heard me Smile

The push is on...

Reckon they only want(ed) three or four overs tonight so this is a timing thing. Blundell gone but I imagine they will keep swinging now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:06 am

Duty281 wrote:Bracewell plays out a maiden. Just pathetic. Another step toward the demise of test cricket.

A few weeks ago you moaned about England being too aggressive.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:09 am

As I thought : three overs tonight ; and Pakistan need a Karachi record chase to win.

Tactics can be debated , of course. But pretty clear Southee wanted (a) A lead of near 320 (b) Only a very short bowl tonight (c) A new ball tomorrow an hour or so before the close. Tick ,tick , tick...

If he wins he got it right , eh ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:13 am

alfie wrote:As I thought : three overs tonight  ; and Pakistan need a Karachi record chase to win.

Tactics can be debated , of course. But pretty clear Southee wanted  (a) A lead of near 320 (b) Only a very short bowl tonight  (c) A new ball tomorrow an hour or so before the close.  Tick ,tick , tick...

If he wins he got it right , eh ?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A gettable run-rate for Pakistan, but they're well short on confidence and have nothing from 9 down. Some low bounce and turn out there. NZ should have put an extra 20 runs on, minimum, and gone aggressive earlier.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:15 am

NZ in the end have gone exactly as per the script....given themselves the 310-320 range score to defend
and not 5 overs but will have a 3 over shot at Pak tonight
will be a perfect day if they pluck one wicket out
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:15 am

Great start for NZ Smile

That kept low.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:17 am

Duty281 wrote:Some low bounce

Yes! Night-watchman? Yes, they've sent out one of the three rabbits.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 am

That makes it just about a perfect day for NZ...and another blow to the Concept of the Night Watchman Smile

Eight to take in 90 overs tomorrow. There was at best a vanishingly small possibility of a Pakistan win anyway but I think we can forget about that completely now.

No need to wonder where the "momentum" is...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:31 am

0/2 at stumps. Smart call to put Sodhi in v Hamza.

Wouldn't be surprised if Pakistan fold completely tomorrow, they've had a tough run of it recently.

Draw is actually the narrow favourite with the bookmakers. 11/10 for a draw, 13/10 on a Kiwi win. Seems a bit off to me. Only 5 wickets away from getting Hasan Ali to the crease.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:40 am

Pak has again dug the customary hole for themselves

The sheer shock and pressure of 2 down for nothing will freeze them tomorrow morning into "strokelessness ".....and that hole they have dug will get bigger.

Someone needs to have balls to play a counter attacking inning if they have to come out of this hole
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:45 am

Still have to work their way past a few good bats : Imam , Babar , Shakeel all very good at sticking in. Plus Sarfaraz and Salman so not a done deal yet.

But they will be able to set attacking fields ; the low bounce will threaten lbws all day (need to watch those referrals !) and Sodhi in particular will get a lot of turn. Quite like their chances.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:49 am

Duty281 wrote:0/2 at stumps. Smart call to put Sodhi in v Hamza.

Wouldn't be surprised if Pakistan fold completely tomorrow, they've had a tough run of it recently.

Draw is actually the narrow favorite with the bookmakers. 11/10 for a draw, 13/10 on a Kiwi win. Seems a bit off to me. Only 5 wickets away from getting Hasan Ali to the crease.

Bookies are obviously wrong here
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:20 am

Duty281 wrote:

Putting in a night-watchman after one of the openers is out, one of the dumbest moves you can pull in cricket. If you want a night-watchman, why not just send him out to open with only 3 overs of play?! Bizarre

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat, alfie, Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 am

alfie wrote:Still have to work their way past a few good bats : Imam , Babar , Shakeel all very good at sticking in. Plus Sarfaraz and Salman so not a done deal yet.

But they will be able to set attacking fields  ; the low bounce will threaten lbws all day (need to watch those referrals !) and Sodhi in particular will get a lot of turn. Quite like their chances.

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:0/2 at stumps. Smart call to put Sodhi in v Hamza.

Draw is actually the narrow favorite with the bookmakers. 11/10 for a draw, 13/10 on a Kiwi win. Seems a bit off to me. Only 5 wickets away from getting Hasan Ali to the crease.

Bookies are obviously wrong here

Yeah, don't think it's a completely done deal that NZ win, but they are favourites for tomorrow and the odds are very generous.

Lots of factors in their favour - already taken two, low bounce is effective and will get in the minds of the remaining batsmen, some turn and rough to aim for, the ball will reverse in the afternoon, ten overs with a second new ball if needed, just five away from the rubbish tail, Pakistan low on confidence, and should be able to set attacking fields all day, barring a very unlikely Pakistani comeback that threatens victory.

You'd imagine Babar is the key to Pakistan's hopes of survival, but Shakeel, Imam and Sarfaraz all lasted over 100 balls in the first innings, albeit in better conditions and with mostly more defensive field settings. NZ will need to be sharp in the field - while this was mostly the case in the first innings, Latham did put down a relatively simple chance that extended Pakistan's first innings by an hour or so. Can't afford that again.

If NZ do pull if off, it will mark their second consecutive away series win over Pakistan (the first being in the UAE), and fourth straight series win over Pakistan overall, a quite remarkable run.

In the other game...might be a draw? Seems lots of rain forecast in Sydney for day three, and a fair bit on day four.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:16 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Putting in a night-watchman after one of the openers is out, one of the dumbest moves you can pull in cricket. If you want a night-watchman, why not just send him out to open with only 3 overs of play?! Bizarre

They are thick in the head as far as collective team intelligence goes.
Their mental processor hangs at the slightest of tricky situation.

and declaring with 3 to 4 overs to go is a perfect "Processor Hangs" situation when they have only 5 minutes to make following decisions
whether to send two night watchmen? or one? and if one, which of the openers to protect?
and if I send two nightwatchmen will I look stupid?
and If I have to send two, who will be those two?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:57 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

They are thick in the head as far as collective team intelligence goes.
Their mental processor hangs at the slightest of tricky situation.

and declaring with 3 to 4 overs to go is a perfect "Processor Hangs" situation when they have only 5 minutes to make following  decisions
whether to send two night watchmen? or one? and if one, which of the openers to protect?
and if I send two nightwatchmen will I look stupid?
and If I have to send two, who will be those two?
Not too familiar with ''Processor Hangs'' but very much with KP_f there.

As regulars might have suspected, I didn't buy into Styris' strong criticism of NZ's batting and lack of aggression at the time (as flagged earlier by Duty). For setting up a declaration, a lot of factors can go in the mix. Not always just about smashing quick runs. Keeping the opposition's opening batsmen out in the field waiting and wondering what will happen and then springing 3 overs on them before the close has a lot going for it and it sure worked today, albeit aided by Pakistan's cackhanded use of a night watchman (as flagged above by Olly).

Master stroke as well by Southee to give Sodhi the last over.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:10 pm

When each of the Australians who've hit 30 or more Test hundreds has gone past The Don, they've been reported as exceeding Bradman's Test Match tally.
But Bradman's centuries came up in just 80 innings. Even Steve Smith, with an excellent average of more than 60, has taken twice as many innings to pass the 29 mark. Shows just how amazing Bradman was.
What do people think of Harmer? He's had an outstanding county record in recent years but is this down to English batsmen showing inexperience against spin. Test cricket, it seems, is a little harder for him.

sirfredperry

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:31 pm

I think Harmer would be very useful on the subcontinent. Harmer and Maharaj could possibly do what Swann and Monty very briefly did together. Anywhere else he doesn't really fit into the balance of the team, and clearly isn't worrying top quality batsmen

VTR

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:18 pm

sirfredperry wrote:When each of the Australians who've hit 30 or more Test hundreds has gone past The Don, they've been reported as exceeding Bradman's Test Match tally.
  But Bradman's centuries came up in just 80 innings. Even Steve Smith, with an excellent average of more than 60, has taken twice as many innings to pass the 29 mark. Shows just how amazing Bradman was.
  What do people think of Harmer? He's had an outstanding county record in recent years but is this down to English batsmen showing inexperience against spin. Test cricket, it seems, is a little harder for him.

Suspect he bowls a bit too slowly to be effective on Australian pitches - particularly on the first couple of days. Probably have to watch what he does on more spin-friendly surfaces (if he ever gets to play on one ! ) to judge him fairly ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:22 pm

And if anyone has woken up wondering how the thrill-a-minute Sydney Test is progressing :

Australia have made it to lunch safely at 475/4 Smile

Yes that's right - lots of rain , covers on all morning : groundstaff finally emerged to remove covers a few minutes ago ; so an early lunch has been called...

Radar still a bit threatening , I gather. Might start earlier in Karachi.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:04 pm

and of course as soon as the "early lunch" is over the rain has returned with renewed intensity...starting to think we could be in for a complete washout today.

Local TV has given up and headed to a NZ domestic limited over fixture. So of course it is hosing down in Hamilton as well Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:21 am

Just one for NZ in the opening 17 overs of the extended morning session, and Pakistan scoring at a decent clip. Imam the man going, with a reckless dismissal that reminded me of Jason Roy in the last home Ashes.

Pitch doing a fair bit, so I doubt NZ are too concerned yet, but if these two make it to lunch...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:34 am

Ah, there's the big one. Babar edging one down the leg side; well grabbed by the replacement keeper Latham.

Bracewell's started well and deserved that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:43 am

And after a good start, Shan Masood gets his head fried by a couple of good deliveries from Bracewell and ends up spooning a high one to Williamson. Tidy catch from an awkward position.

NZ on the victory road, two from the tail.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:44 am

Credit to Pakistan for playing positively this morning - even though you might say Imam rather got "too positive" and contributed to his own downfall...

I think they are better served trying to put some pressure back on the bowlers than just seeking to survive all day. While they score at a decent rate , Southee has to at least think about the run situation - although I do not believe the chase is actually achievable ; if the fielding side ever feel threatened it can impact their attack.

Losing Babar though is a huge blow. But interesting to see Sarfaraz coming out ahead of Shakeel - which suggests they want to continue to look for runs rather than defend. Could be an interesting hour coming up to lunch...

Oops...Shan Masood gone too. Can't say I am surprised. He wasn't one I expected to bat long - though he scored briskly enough. Do they put up the shutters now ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:48 am

Babar pretty much missing in action in the second innings again. Well that's my perception anyway, the ultimate flat track bully

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:52 am

Bracewell Jr.having the.game.of his life.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:03 am

Five down...should be more fielders around the bat!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:36 am

Five down at lunch. Good effort from these two to keep Pakistan in it, but don't know why we haven't seen more of Sodhi.

55 overs left in the game. NZ just need two in the slightly shorter afternoon session and they'll be well on course. We'll see if Southee and Henry can get the ball reversing like Pakistan did yesterday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:37 am

No more wickets to lunch...Sarfaraz keeping the runs coming. So they need 194 from maybe 55 overs. Would need Sarfaraz to bat most of them I think - and NZ to be a bit generous with the bowling.

Can they hold out though ? Really only Salman after these two knows which end of the bat to hold...

Back in an hour . At least it doesn't rain in Karachi Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:33 am

I understand we might actually get a more or less full day of cricket in Sydney tomorrow - had to stop raining eventually I guess. Imagine they will bat for a couple of over for Khawaja to pass 200 (or get out) and give the SA openers a short preparation time Smile

don't think it makes much difference taking a few overs out of the day for the milestone. Unless they can skittle SA even quicker than usual it is going to be hard to take 20 wickets in the time remaining - especially with only three regular bowlers plus Agar...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:45 am

NZ need to put spin from both ends now and with more close ins
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:30 am

No wickets in this hour for New Zealand and they'll be starting to feel concerned. Need to get Bracewell back on, they've only used Sodhi and Southee since lunch. Field placings have perhaps been a bit negative.

Commentators talking up the possibility of Pakistan going for the target, but with such little batting in reserve they'd be mad to try.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next