The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 6 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun 18 Dec 2022, 6:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 6 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 10:23 am

Going down to the final session then. Pakistan need 140, NZ need 5, 31 overs left.

Pakistan look decidedly unlikely to attempt a chase, unless they send up Hasan Ali as a pinch-hitter! So NZ may be able to surround the bat for at least some of this session. They'll also get a new ball in 18 overs time. Bad light, with it being Friday and finishing later, could be a factor.

Some of the bowling choices by NZ in that session were strange. Going for Mitchell over Patel, who didn't get a bowl at all in the afternoon, and taking so long to bring Bracewell back.

Could be a good finish. Pakistan hold on? Or do they implode in classic fashion?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 10:56 am

Pakistan just about staying in the game while these two are together. Perhaps they are hoping to get to the last ten-twelve overs still 5 down and then launch a charge ?

RRR going up but not totally silly yet. Of course if Sarfaraz gets out they can forget it : Shakeel just playing anchor - or handbrake ?

NZ must be wondering where they can get a wicket from ; but if they can get one still plenty of time to get after that tail ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:00 am

Shakeel just starts to play shots, but a superb grab from Mitchell denies him.

That's the danger of Pakistan going into attack mode, they've opened the door now. Just one more to Hasan Ali.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:00 am

why is Ejaz Patel not bowling
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:00 am

Ha ! I claim that one Smile

My brilliant jinx only outdone by the excellent Mitchell catch clap

Last decent batting pair now. Does Sarfaraz keep looking for runs or shut up shop ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:08 am

He still wants to look for runs. Death or glory.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:15 am

Duty281 wrote:He still wants to look for runs. Death or glory.

Have to admire his intent ! Hope he gets his hundred anyway ; but I reckon he's got a bit too much to do. Still they've taken this deeper than I thought they might...fair play to Pakistan thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:18 am

The loss of Shakeel has suddenly enabled these brisk singles.

NZ may be a bit twitchy, but Pakistan still 94 away. Next man in has a test average of about 15, then two number 11s.

Sarfaraz gets 100, amazing innings.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:20 am

Yes... well deserved century clap clap clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:22 am

Great innings whatever happens. Glad he didn't play against England as he's in good form and makes you wonder where he has been for the last few years

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:24 am

NZ using up their pace resources just before the new ball becomes available.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:43 am

Duty281 wrote:NZ using up their pace resources just before the new ball becomes available.

Admit I am surprised that Southee doesn't seem to trust his spinners enough today. Seems at the moment to be trying to just stop them scoring and hope for a mistake . I am sure Stokes would be attacking them a lot more...

One might bring four ; but the closer these two can get them the trickier it gets for the fielding team to balance attack and covering boundaries...it is singles that are nibbling away at the moment and they aren't needing to take risks.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:48 am

Stokes would be England's golden arm in these situations!

Think NZ are being way too defensive to Salman, fielders need to be brought up. Mind, their field settings have been a little too defensive all day.

Light starting to draw in, not sure how long will be left.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:53 am

I disagree with Patel being wided when Sarfaraz retreats so far to the leg side.

NZ need to bowl properly, this is a mess. Ajaz serving up hit me balls on the leg side with an ODI field?! NZ need to get the wicket.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:56 am

and somehow as I took my eye off...Pak has worked themselves to be favorites to win this
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:58 am

Duty281 wrote:I disagree with Patel being wided when Sarfaraz retreats so far to the leg side.

Agree with that. If the batsman moves like that in advance , bowler should be allowed to react. And you are right about the field settings - but they may have left it a bit late to change now ! NZ really need that next wicket or this will be a tight finish.

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:02 pm

KP_fan wrote:and somehow as I took my eye off...Pak has worked themselves to be favorites to win this

They'd deserve it, they're the ones trying to win it.

But a torturous equation with trying to find the balance between aggression and the time remaining due to the light.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:10 pm

Henry bowls Salman. Does that re-ignite NZ's chances? Ali and the last two fell in a hurry last time. But NZ's timewasting may now be to Pakistan's benefit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:10 pm

Henry breaks the stand ...straight through Salman then : boy did NZ need that !

Whatever happens from here , this has been a very good Test Match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:14 pm

alfie wrote:Henry breaks the stand ...straight through Salman then : boy did NZ need that !

Yes and yes again!!

Henry has been my outside bet for MotM since his undefeated 60+ in NZ's first dig - can he get any more from his day job in the closing overs?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:17 pm

Bad time for Sarfaraz to get a cramp issue ! Light closing in too : will this end with a whimper ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:19 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:Henry breaks the stand ...straight through Salman then : boy did NZ need that !

Yes and yes again!!

Henry has been my outside bet for MotM since his undefeated 60+ in NZ's first dig - can he get any more from his day job in the closing overs?

Sarfaraz might fancy that accolade ! He was understandably annoyed with Salman playing that rash shot when they were "getting them in singles"

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm

Would have got about 20 minutes of extra play had this test not been scheduled over a Friday, could have made the difference.

Only a few overs left now, I imagine.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:22 pm

Sodhi on now...pies and pearls...

Left it late to bring him in to action , I think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:28 pm

Why didn't they take the new ball earlier? Should have taken it right after Salman was bowled, possibly even before.

Now Hasan Ali goes. Chance? If they get another few overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:29 pm

New ball at last...and Hasan is gone ... odds move back NZ way with just two rabbits to accompany Sarfaraz in the gloom...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:38 pm

Stupid review by Southee for Sarafraz to be caught behind. Always a gap between bat and ball. NZ lose one of their last two reviews and also lose time with the light threatening an early close.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:40 pm

But now looks as isf Sarafraz is gone on umpire's (I think) review  - caught at leg slip off Bracewell.

Yep, gone.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm

9 down. The main man goes. But it's practically night out there.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm

So no more pace then...

But has Bracewell got the big one ? Yes he has ! Sarfaraz departs after his heroic innings...

He played so well - that is a bit cruel.

One left...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:49 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Stupid review by Southee for Sarafraz to be caught behind. Always a gap between bat and ball. NZ lose one of their last two reviews and also lose time with the light threatening an early close.

Tough call , guildford ! I actually thought there was an edge , watching live - and Latham was confident. We must all be hearing things...

Naseem Shah still trying to win this ! Just 17 needed now ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:53 pm

This review is hopeless though...

but as it was pretty clear there was only a couple of balls left can't blame them.

Off three overs short. Disappointing in one way : but perhaps fair in that neither side really deserved to lose. Draws can be fun thumbsup

Last edited by alfie on Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm

Another ridiculous review by Southee. That clearly hit the pads outside off. All reviews gone and so now has time.

Match drawn. Fair or frustrating? Maybe both.

Go with Alfie's suggestion of Sarafraz as MotM.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 1:03 pm

Ahhh, that's a shame. Just twenty minutes more and we'd have seen a natural conclusion that this test richly deserved. NZ of course slowed it right up when it looked like they were going to lose and, ironically enough, that may have cost them the win in the end.

NZ should have certainly won this. 0/2 and 80/5 they were in the driving seat, but couldn't close it out. A few points:

1) They declared too late yesterday. They were, as I said at the time, too negative with batting in relation to the wickets remaining. They should have given themselves 100-105 overs to bowl Pakistan out, not 90.

2) Field placings were too negative, for the most part, today. When the spinners were bowling, it was usually just a slip and a short leg, no leg slip and no silly point for the majority of the time. This was particularly wrong when bowling to Shakeel, who barely played a shot in anger. Then when Salman came in they went right on the defensive straight away, like it was an ODI.

3) Bowling choices were odd. Bracewell was held back too long in the afternoon, Sodhi was held back too long in the evening, Patel was held back too much all the way through. Their spinners had a lot of variety, but it wasn't used much in quick rotation. Plus they took the new ball too late.

Sarfaraz was fantastic and has made an early bid for test innings of the year. Certainly would have been had he got his team to victory. Only one to score over 35 and the pace he scored at worried the Kiwis.

Very good test. Credit to the umpires who strung it out for as long as possible.

Duty281

guildfordbat, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 1:13 pm

I don't think you can complain too much about the declaration when it got this close to a result. I do agree they sat back too much in the later stages instead of forcing Pakistan to try and go over the top rather than pick up risk-free singles.

Sarfaraz innings was a truly great one. Take that away - or just cut it down a bit - and NZ walk away with a comfortable win. But players are allowed to play great innings sometimes...

Indeed an excellent Test. And credit to the umpires , yes - though maybe not so much for some of their (regularly overturned !) decisions Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 06 Jan 2023, 1:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Another ridiculous review by Southee. That clearly hit the pads outside off. All reviews gone and so now has time.

Match drawn. Fair or frustrating? Maybe both.

Go with Alfie's suggestion of Sarafraz as MotM.

I think both. Frustrating because both sides were very close to forcing a win, and it's always annoying when bad light curtails a potentially dramatic finish (although to be fair the umpires did keep them out as long as they could). Fair because after a close-fought test over five days neither side deserved to lose? Being slightly controversial you could also argue that neither side deserved to win either. OK, maybe being a bit harsh here, but they've definitely been times over the two tests where it felt like the two sides were playing not to lose more than anything, so to speak. Understandable perhaps, given lack of confidence amid poor recent results. But still there were definitely occasions where I felt each side had the chance to really seize the initiative but were a bit timid about it, and let the other side back in as a result.

As an aside, Pakistan have taken 20 wickets in just one of their last eight home tests. NZ and Aus combined only managed it once also, in five tests. England of course managed it in all three. At least I think I'm correct on those. Shows a) how difficult forcing results in Pakistan seems to be right now, and b) how impressive England's achievement was.

Anyway, I enjoyed the NZ-Pak series. It lacked some of the quality and perhaps entertainment of the England one, but it was hard-fought throughout, played in a good spirit, and both tests went right down to the wire. In many ways a quite "old-fashioned" test series of the sort that's become very much a rarity in recent times.

Mad for Chelsea

guildfordbat, alfie and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 06 Jan 2023, 1:19 pm

Guess if Ben Stokes had been NZ skipper the Kiwis would have won this series 2-0 as they would have scored quicker, declared earlier and been prepared to risk defeat in order to win.

As it was it was a terrific finish and P have fought hard after the 3-0 loss to England.

If it stops raining in Sydney I can still Aus being able to force a result.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 Jan 2023, 1:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:Ahhh, that's a shame. Just twenty minutes more and we'd have seen a natural conclusion that this test richly deserved. NZ of course slowed it right up when it looked like they were going to lose and, ironically enough, that may have cost them the win in the end. All true although I don't believe either side deserved to lose.

NZ should have certainly won this. 0/2 and 80/5 they were in the driving seat, but couldn't close it out. Yes but with NZ at 345/9, Pakistan had the whip hand - that's why I've been banging on about the importance of Henry's innings.  A few points:

1) They declared too late yesterday. They were, as I said at the time, too negative with batting in relation to the wickets remaining. They  should have given themselves 100-105 overs to bowl Pakistan out, not 90. As posted yesterday, that's not my view. NZ's declaration enabled them to pick up 2 wickets yesterday. If they had declared earlier, I'm sure they would still have been happy to have Pakistan 2 down at the close. Regardless of when they declared, they would only have had about 87 overs to bowl today. It was NZ's failure to take 8 wickets in a full (just about) final day that cost them.

2) Field placings were too negative, for the most part, today. When the spinners were bowling, it was usually just a slip and a short leg, no leg slip and no silly point for the majority of the time. This was particularly wrong when bowling to Shakeel, who barely played a shot in anger. Then when Salman came in they went right on the defensive straight away, like it was an ODI. Agreed.

3) Bowling choices were odd. Bracewell was held back too long in the afternoon, Sodhi was held back too long in the evening, Patel was held back too much all the way through. Their spinners had a lot of variety, but it wasn't used much in quick rotation. Plus they took the new ball too late. Agreed although I'm not fully convinced by the quality of NZ's spinners and doubt that Southee is either. 3 OK spinners don't make or surpass 1 quality spinner. If NZ could have had Abrar in their attack today, they probably would have won.

Sarfaraz was fantastic and has made an early bid for test innings of the year. Certainly would have been had he got his team to victory. Only one to score over 35 and the pace he scored at worried the Kiwis. Fully with that. As mentioned, he ended up being my MotM.

Very good test. Credit to the umpires who strung it out for as long as possible. All agreed. A match with a lot of ebb and flow. TV umpire Ahsan Raza was also diligent and thorough in ensuring the technology was used properly and achieved the correct outcome.

Hi Duty - a good and wide ranging post. As above, I agree with a lot but not all. Cheers.

guildfordbat

alfie and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 06 Jan 2023, 2:16 pm

Came down to the Proverbial Wire.
Test cricket is the winner...and many more such cliches apply to the finish today.
While some might bemoan the calling of bad light by the umpires, I think neither side deserved to lose.....and a fair end to the game.
Bookies sure know their odds.

Sarfaraz...Hat's off...he has come back with a bang.
Pak team was a tougher nut and more astute as I remember under Sarfarz's captaincy
KP_fan
KP_fan

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 06 Jan 2023, 2:28 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Guess if Ben Stokes had been NZ skipper the Kiwis would have won this series 2-0 as they would have scored quicker, declared earlier and been prepared to risk defeat in order to win.

As it was it was a terrific finish and P have fought hard after the 3-0 loss to England.

If it stops raining in Sydney I can still Aus being able to force a result.

I think I said the same after T1....Eng would have gone back with 3 draws had it not been for the extreme style with which Stokes / Mccullum play test cricket.
Look NZ could earn only 2 draws and Aus before that earned 2 draws and a 3rd narrow win in the last hour.

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 06 Jan 2023, 2:40 pm

Very good series considering it ended 0-0. New Zealand generally on the better side of it, agree some of their captaincy seemed odd and possibly timid today

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:11 pm

Might as well give up on the Australia test. Apparently parts of the outfield are 'pure mud' which is delaying the restart even further.

Surely even SA can't be bowled out twice in the ever dwindling time remaining? And a draw would be good for their WTC final hopes.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:55 pm

Duty281 wrote:Might as well give up on the Australia test. Apparently parts of the outfield are 'pure mud' which is delaying the restart even further.

Surely even SA can't be bowled out twice in the ever dwindling time remaining? And a draw would be good for their WTC final hopes.

Yes looks like a dead loss this game. Might as well let Khawaja get his 200 when they've dried it all out...heck , let him go for Lara's record if he likes Smile

Suppose SA could still collapse twice in the hours left (they are pretty good at collapsing lately) but I wouldn't be putting money on it. Rotten bad luck for the spectators but we were warned this one would be under a lot of threat from the weather : they weren't kidding !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 07 Jan 2023, 7:37 am

Duty281 wrote:
They're having a good go at it, don't rule it out yet!

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 07 Jan 2023, 7:50 am

Only got home to watch the last forty minutes - not totally shocked to see SA struggling again. Nearly every batsman getting a start ; none going on past forty. You could say good Australian bowling - and surely that is part of it. But really , Test quality batsmen shouldn't all be getting out in the 20-35 range. Either their heads aren't right or they just aren't Test quality batsmen...

So 98 overs for Australia to take 14 wickets. Probably about 50/50 as the main three bowlers will have to do most of the work and fatigue does have an effect. But SA really need someone - or two - to stand up and seriously resist. Can't see them getting near avoiding the follow on ; and not enough time to catch the 475 so they will have to bat out all 98 overs - no rain tomorrow I understand. Test of character for the SA bats perhaps - as they need a bit of a clean out and this might give a hint as to which players are really worth persevering with.

Cummins is a very good bowler thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jan 2023, 9:48 am

Am I the only one who thinks it was really quite harsh to not just bat on two overs or whatever was needed for Khawaja to get his double hundred? Never going to get a better opportunity
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 07 Jan 2023, 10:19 am

No, I agree with that. Reminds me of Atherton declaring on Graeme Hick when he was on 98!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 07 Jan 2023, 11:38 am

Oh dear, South Africa. Presuming it stays dry, forecast indicates it will, Australia have a very real chance of winning this. Get the final four wickets in ten overs or fewer, and the Aussies will have 86 overs to bowl South Africa out again, which seems more than plausible seeing as how South Africa's longest innings in this series so far was 68.5 overs.

One factor in South Africa's favour might be that Hazlewood and Cummins are the only seamers, they'll be getting through a fair bit of work.

Do agree it was harsh on Khawaja. In a test with something riding on it I understand such ruthlessness; in a dead rubber, not so much. But I think it indicates Australia's determination ahead of their tours to India and England.

Tomorrow will be the last day of the tour, of course, with the tourists forfeiting the ODI series.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 07 Jan 2023, 10:07 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it was really quite harsh to not just bat on two overs or whatever was needed for Khawaja to get his double hundred? Never going to get a better opportunity

Hi Olly - a touch of sympathy for Khawaja but my stance is that the team has to come first. Cummins clearly thought the declaration coming when it did gave Australia the best opportunity to still win this Test and presumably further enhance the likelinood of their appearance in the World Test Championship. On that basis, his decision was right.

Not as if Khawaja has had his slate wiped clean. He ends up with a nice red inker to boost his career average, long lasting credit as the man who sacrificed - or had sacrificed- his chance of a double hundred for the team and some highly esteemed company. Just read on cricifo that the only other two players who were in the 190s when their Test captains declared were Frank Worrell and Sachin Tendulkar. 

Maybe some sympathy for Renshaw too. The guy waits five years for a recall and then gets pulled on 5.

guildfordbat

Pal Joey and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Jan 2023, 10:39 pm

As much as I would have liked to have seen Khawaja score the extra 5 runs (not guaranteed of course but highly likely) the frustrating fact that 174 overs had already been lost in this match so far and they didn't get onto the field until 1:44pm - it would have been cutting things even more finer.

Surely Captain Pat would have given him a chance for more glory even if they had only lost half of the first session... maybe even more. However, as Guildford and Allan Border say... the team comes first over the individual. Tough I know...

Lovely morning here. Sun is out. Not sure whether they can get SA out nearly one and half times in one day. Lyon seems confident but as we saw last year and the year before in Sydney; it's not an easy task at all. Personally, I think they'll fall a bit short. Maybe 4-5 wickets short. If it's a tantalising 2 or 3... or less; then Cummins' declaration will no doubt be vindicated.

If they somehow manage a miracle on the last day with some overs to spare; then I'd probably still maintain it was better to err on the side of caution. Honestly, 'we're' pretty lucky 'we're' even in this position considering all the time lost.

OK... see if I can vacuum the pool in 21 minutes. Usually takes me about 19. Very Happy

Done.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next