The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 7 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun 18 Dec 2022, 6:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 7 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun 08 Jan 2023, 2:18 am

Agree with PJ and guildford above. Would have been daft to bat on just for a personal milestone (however deserving) when you have to maximise any chance of a win. Team has to come first.

Win looking rather less likely now as SA's two spinners are doing much more for their team with bat in hand than they were able to manage with the ball...95 added in 40 overs in that session , mostly by Harmer and Maharaj. Just Jansen chipped out - by Head of all people. New ball has had a go , but to no effect yet.

Fifty eight overs left. 32 more to save the follow on : would Cummins consider forfeiting the second Australian innings if they did so and leave SA something like forty overs to get 190 ? Take an actual risk to seek a win ? Doubt it : his bowlers are surely getting weary. Comms are pushing the "SA could declare after passing 275 to hand the challenge back to Pat" but I don't see that one happening.

Still could see the last three falling quickly if this pair are separated ; but still have to get that break. Pitch fairly benign although there is a bit there for the spinners. Some concern for Australia with India in mind is that Head has looked more dangerous than Agar...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 08 Jan 2023, 2:27 am

... and my jinx works immediately as Hazlewood traps Maharaj lbw Smile

252/8 , stand of 85 ended by more good bowling. Good knock for SA and a vital fifty for his team ; but now Harmer just has Rabada and Nortje left to get another 24 runs ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 08 Jan 2023, 3:00 am

Hazlewood again ! Does for Harmer for a fine stubborn 47 : and with 21 still needed to save the follow on it looks as if they'll be batting again soon. Perhaps he should have played some strokes since Rabada joined him ? But on the other hand they've eaten up 7 more overs so a bit each way...

Hazlewood has been brilliant clap But he has done a lot of work ; which might hurt later. Game still alive....and in fact all done now as Lyon effects a C&B to see off Rabada.

Following on now with what , 47 overs left ? Might be tough to get ten in that time.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 08 Jan 2023, 3:49 am

Eight of those overs gone... but now Elgar has gone , caught down the leg side for the fourth time in six innings... Just not learning - or just not able to deal with short balls in that area.

Keeps the Aussies interested. But nine more in 38 seems a stretch. No Test team should be bowled out in 47 overs.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 08 Jan 2023, 6:33 am

As expected - all ends pretty quietly in the inevitable draw. Just the two wickets down ; and am slightly surprised they bothered to go on as long as they did (just five overs not used) considering it was obvious from field placings as well as scorecard they knew there was no chance for the last hour at least. Practicing for India I guess.

Erwee played a good solid hand for 42 no. Still not seeing Agar as a serious spin option for that Indian tour.

SA at least weren't whitewashed - though they can probably thank the weather as much as their two spinners with their determined stand this morning. And Australia still not quite confirmed for the WTC final - but I'd be astonished if they don't end up there. Maybe the opposition has been poor ; but you can only beat what is against you so I reckon that's a pretty good home summer's work thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 08 Jan 2023, 7:24 am

Slightly odd choice for PoTS : Warner. For just one innings - albeit a big one ! Would have thought the more consistent Head , or Smith - or arguably Cummins himself for his leadership and control as much as wickets , might have been a better choice ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 08 Jan 2023, 10:30 am

alfie wrote:Slightly odd choice for PoTS : Warner.  For just one innings - albeit a big one ! Would have thought the more consistent Head , or Smith - or arguably Cummins himself for his leadership and control as much as wickets , might have been a better choice ?

Agreed, Alfie.

Another odd choice imo and not just with hindsight was Australia's decision to omit Boland from the last team. I understood the desire to bring back a fit again Hazlewood but with Starc crocked it surely should have been for him. 

With Green also being crocked and an apparent belief the pitch would take spin, probably understandable to recall Agar even though that decision didn't work out. 

If you take the view that Agar replaced Green and Hazlewood replaced Starc, then Boland was dropped for batsman Renshaw leaving the hosts always likely to be short of bowling even against a poor and under performing South Africa side.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 08 Jan 2023, 10:34 am

alfie wrote:

SA at least weren't whitewashed - though they can probably thank the weather as much as their two spinners with their determined stand this morning. And Australia still not quite confirmed for the WTC final - but I'd be astonished if they don't end up there. Maybe the opposition has been poor ; but you can only beat what is against you so I reckon that's a pretty good home summer's work thumbsup

Was hard to be motivated to follow this series closely for the extreme one sidedness of it

When the expectation was of an even fight
What events have to occur for Aus to not qualify for WTC final?
At the peak of Indian team's prowess they could have lost 4-0
They still might.
Will that push them out ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 08 Jan 2023, 11:44 am

Australia need only avoid a whitewash and they're in, I believe. Even with a whitewash, it would take a Sri Lanka series win in New Zealand for them not to make it in.

For India, a series win guarantees success. Outside of that, a 2-2 series result or worse paired with Sri Lanka not winning 2-0 in NZ and they're through.

For South Africa, India need to either draw the series 1-1, or lose it outright, paired with a whitewash of the West Indies and Sri Lanka not winning the NZ series would get them through.

In order of likelihood to get in, I'd say
Australia are all but guaranteed.
India next
Then South Africa
Sri Lanka need the less results out of their hand to go their way than South Africa, but they're less likely to beat New Zealand, I'd think.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

guildfordbat, alfie and KP_fan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Jan 2023, 1:29 pm

And don't forget - England can still qualify. Just need NZ to beat SL 2-0, Aus to beat India 4-0 and WI to beat SA 1-0. Highly realistic set of results. Whistle

Test cricket now takes a break for a month. Early February sees an interesting two test series between Zimbabwe and the West Indies, in Zimbabwe, followed by the heavyweight match up of Australia v India. NZ v England (not part of the WTC) and SA v WI follow later in the month.

Until then it'll be a few ODI series, including Jofra's potential return, and the new T20 franchise leagues.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 09 Jan 2023, 2:06 am

Going to miss Test Cricket for a month ! Suppose have been spoiled lately when one could watch it virtually around the clock Smile

Can't get invested in the franchise leagues at all , I'm afraid. And random ODI series don't have quite the same gravitas... But I guess will have to do for now.

But next month : India/Australia should be fun !

alfie

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Jan 2023, 6:14 pm

Pakistan won the first ODI of the year, and the 4500th ODI in total, after chasing down 256 to beat New Zealand. The Pakistani spinners choked the run-rate, while Naseem Shah racked up a five-wicket haul, and the home batsmen never lost control in the chase.

I think Pakistan are very realistic contenders for the World Cup. A strong top four, backed up by the quick bowling of Shaheen and Naseem, and a wide-range of spin options led by the ever-improving Shadab Khan. NZ gave a debut to a medium-fast bowler today, Henry Shipley, but despite his terrific height he looked very innocuous and gentle with his seam bowling - 0/28 from 6 overs.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 10:50 am

I would say that Pakistan are more than just contenders Duty, I would personally have them as favourites myself. For me, they have the most balanced side.

Will never write off England or India but India just don't seem to be able to complete the job on the biggest stage. They are doing a number on Sri Lanka right now though with Kholi fast approaching a century.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 11:26 am

Kholi gets another ODI 100 to his name. He really is one of the best the game has had.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 12:03 pm

Well I'm not sure about favourites, but I'd currently have them in the leading three contenders, alongside India and England, with Australia just behind.

Wasn't sure how popular a view it was because Pakistan are currently priced at 7/1, with India 12/5, England 3/1, Australia 4/1 and NZ also 7/1.

You may be right about India as it's been ten years since they last won a global ICC event, and the pressure on them in their home country will be stifling and gargantuan.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 2:43 pm

Just feel that the pressure will be too much for India and they will falter. Pakistan will be very pumped to win in India.

I am not convinced about Australia, they can be far too hot and cold and as for England, i feel they will struggle in India.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 3:16 pm

The South African T20 (sorry 20) franchise league is about to start. One rule innovation for this competition - teams name their XI after the toss, rather than before. Bit different.

Jofra starts for Cape Town, his first proper game since May 2021. And he'll be bowling to the England duo of Roy and Buttler.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 10 Jan 2023, 3:24 pm

This obsession all the T20 leagues have won changing your team after the toss - whether it be subs in the BBL and now IPL, or this in the SAT20 - is absolute horrible.

Reading conditions and balancing your team appropriately for whatever you do first has been an age old challenge in all forms of cricket, and it would be stupid to get rid of it.

JDizzle

guildfordbat and Jetty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 3:45 pm

Didn't take Archer long to be back in the wickets. 3rd ball wicket and a maiden...

Roy needs to find form here.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Jan 2023, 4:54 pm

Biggest negative for Pakistan is that they seem a bit short of batting depth - good bowling attack for the likely conditions in India, but just the question of whether they can get enough runs on the board regularly.

England will basically have to score very heavily, and there's doubt as to whether they can do that consistently enough in Indian conditions. Don't see the bowling attack as being strong enough to win games without the batsmen doing well.

India are either going to be inspired by their home support or paralysed by the pressure. Also presumably will be without Pant following his accident, which obviously weakens their aggressive batting.

dummy_half

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 6:50 pm

Very good comeback for Jofra - 3/27, including a top-class 19th over (2 wickets and 2 runs), as his side eased to a win. Stone was a bit more expensive, but managed to take down Buttler, which will have earned him some plaudits.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jan 2023, 7:03 pm

dummy_half wrote:Biggest negative for Pakistan is that they seem a bit short of batting depth - good bowling attack for the likely conditions in India, but just the question of whether they can get enough runs on the board regularly.

England will basically have to score very heavily, and there's doubt as to whether they can do that consistently enough in Indian conditions. Don't see the bowling attack as being strong enough to win games without the batsmen doing well.

India are either going to be inspired by their home support or paralysed by the pressure. Also presumably will be without Pant following his accident, which obviously weakens their aggressive batting.

Yes, Pakistan are going to be putting a lot of faith in that top four to establish great platforms, but, then again, we thought the same at the T20 World Cup and the top of the order didn't really deliver, yet Pakistan still had a good tournament.

I think a fully-fit England bowling attack can win games on its own. Key there being 'fully-fit', which has been a problem in recent years. If England can field a firing Jofra and Wood, backed up the spin of Rashid, that's a superb three bowlers to have for a kick-off. If we then see Curran's T20 improvements transferred to the 50-over arena, England are laughing. Add in the possibility of Woakes, or maybe Stone if he has a good year, perhaps Stokes if he comes out of ODI retirement (which we all think he will), and the spin trio of Livingstone, Moeen and perhaps Rehan Ahmed (I presume England are looking at him for ODIs?)...it's a high quality bowling line-up. But batting is certainly the main strength.

It's the same format as the last World Cup, so it'll be about peaking at the right time, which England have shown in the last ODI World Cup and the last T20 World Cup.

Good point about Pant. Apparently he's had surgery on his ACL so he's not expected to return until at least 2024.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 11 Jan 2023, 8:02 am

Bit early to be getting too definite about the WC prospects , I think. So much depends on who is fit (for all teams) ; and with all the action ( Internationals and 20 over leagues ) that most are involved with , that won't be clear until later.
Agree the five teams mentioned above look to have it between them though. Hard to see SA , West Indies , or Sri Lanka offering a serious challenge ...

Though that comment will probably inspire SA to produce a couple of new stars from their 20 over show and sweep all before them........at least until the semi-final devil

Good to see Archer back in action : sounds like a handy first outing. Won't be getting carried away just yet though : the question is not so much individual good games but whether he can sustain it (and stay healthy) over a number of matches. The 20 over stuff should at least be a good lead-in to a return to 50 over cricket with England in SA. Fingers crossed Fingers Crossed

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 11 Jan 2023, 8:51 am

Archer did look in good nick, slightly down on pace but that was too be expected. I was very impressed with the way varied his pace and made the batters think and play.

Roy still does not look in any form at all. Out for 13 off 14 (I think) with only one real attacking shot. I just cant see him regaining form any time soon as he looks mentally down as well.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 11 Jan 2023, 9:37 am

Duty281 wrote:

I think a fully-fit England bowling attack can win games on its own. Key there being 'fully-fit', which has been a problem in recent years. If England can field a firing Jofra and Wood, backed up the spin of Rashid, that's a superb three bowlers to have for a kick-off. If we then see Curran's T20 improvements transferred to the 50-over arena, England are laughing. Add in the possibility of Woakes, or maybe Stone if he has a good year, perhaps Stokes if he comes out of ODI retirement (which we all think he will), and the spin trio of Livingstone, Moeen and perhaps Rehan Ahmed (I presume England are looking at him for ODIs?)...it's a high quality bowling line-up. But batting is certainly the main strength.

It's the same format as the last World Cup, so it'll be about peaking at the right time, which England have shown in the last ODI World Cup and the last T20 World Cup.

Good point about Pant. Apparently he's had surgery on his ACL so he's not expected to return until at least 2024.

My issue with the England bowling line up is that this is a WC in India, which is notorious for being a graveyard for quick and fast-medium bowlers - the line up we can potentially put out would be much stronger almost anywhere else. My feeling is that being effective in T20 as a bowler doesn't necessarily translate into the same effectiveness over 50 overs, because for most of the innings the batsmen are only trying to get 6 or so runs off a decent over rather than swinging for the fences throughout. Curran in particular I think still has much to prove bowling 10 overs of 50 rather than 4 of 20.

dummy_half

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 11 Jan 2023, 7:47 pm

Duty281 wrote:Well I'm not sure about favourites, but I'd currently have them in the leading three contenders, alongside India and England, with Australia just behind.

Wasn't sure how popular a view it was because Pakistan are currently priced at 7/1, with India 12/5, England 3/1, Australia 4/1 and NZ also 7/1.

You may be right about India as it's been ten years since they last won a global ICC event, and the pressure on them in their home country will be stifling and gargantuan.

Yes Indians are unlikely to win.....for 2 reasons
1. They do choke
2. Inspite of the most abundant talent, for various agenda laden reasons they end up picking sub-optimal teams

The 50 over WCup is likely to go down the same lines as T20 WC.......Pak, Eng, India and one more in semis
Pak and Eng ending up the top two sides.......unless they run into each other in semis
KP_fan
KP_fan

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

My issue with the England bowling line up is that this is a WC in India, which is notorious for being a graveyard for quick and fast-medium bowlers - the line up we can potentially put out would be much stronger almost anywhere else. My feeling is that being effective in T20 as a bowler doesn't necessarily translate into the same effectiveness over 50 overs, because for most of the innings the batsmen are only trying to get 6 or so runs off a decent over rather than swinging for the fences throughout. Curran in particular I think still has much to prove bowling 10 overs of 50 rather than 4 of 20.

Agree about Curran and the general transition from T20 to 50-over.

However, on India being a graveyard for quick and fast-medium bowlers - since the last World Cup, pace bowlers have averaged 34.92 with an economy of 5.74 in ODIs in India, while spinners have averaged 47.35 with an economy of 5.65, so I think there is a market for seam bowlers to do well.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 12 Jan 2023, 9:22 am

I am not at all concerned about Curran in ODI's. I think he will be very good. Could never really see him in a test squad but have no fears of him being able to bowl 10 overs. He has the most variations of the English bowlers for me and is very adaptable to the conditions.

I am not worried about the English bowlers at all if I may be honest but I do feel the batting will be a struggle. As powerful as they are at T20, not sure they will have that extra level of control in ODI's.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 12 Jan 2023, 9:23 am

Anyone watching the Sri Lanka India ODI right now? Sri Lanka off to a decent start.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 12 Jan 2023, 9:31 am

Of course i say good start and Sri Lanka lose 2 wickets in 3 balls Doh

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 12 Jan 2023, 2:02 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:Of course i say good start and Sri Lanka lose 2 wickets in 3 balls Doh

That only works for me for England's performances, not for neutral or opposing tesams

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Jan 2023, 4:10 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/01/12/australia-pull-afghanistan-tour-protest-talibans-treatment-women/

Australia have pulled out of a ODI cricket series v Afghanistan, sparking a row between the two countries. I think it means Afghanistan get the Super League points, but as they've already qualified for the World Cup it matters not.

Spoiler:

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 Jan 2023, 7:23 pm

Thorny subject, but I do feel to the Afghan players and cricket board here - while I get CA's stance, it does feel a bit ridiculous to be pulling out of playing the Afghans mens side for the policies of the Taliban, when many have spoken out against it - what else can they really do?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm

Thorny subject indeed, Olly. I heard the news last night too and must admit it came as a surprise.

Although I wish it didn't; sport and politics is inevitably interlinked whether we like it or not. We can either continue to refuse to face unpleasant facts and pretend watching a small group of sportsmen perform their trade, whilst being paid very well, making us all feel better when the country they represent is in a very unfair place. Or, say and do something which will disadvantage that small group - even though they as individuals are not personally responsible for the behaviour and actions of their government.

I felt uneasy about 15 years ago when Tony Greig was spruiking the benefits of people travelling to Sri Lanka, in the midst of a vicious civil war, "to visit the wonderful port of Hambantota" which has since been repossessed by the Chinese interests who financed it. The country is now in dire straits (both politically and economically) due to its corrupt governance but you never hear people mention that on here and say "I saw that coming..." Australian teams continued to tour SL during this period and I remember feeling uneasy about it and thinking something wasn't right.

Sure, helping other countries in times of need is the noble thing to do but a line has to be drawn somewhere when the situation is clearly out of control and might been seen by the world at large as vindication or tacit approval of what's really going on in a country like Afghanistan.

It's a similar situation in other countries like Bangladesh where life isn't as easy for many people as it is here or in the UK and elsewhere. And we've just had the FIFA World Cup in Qatar which was fraught with allegations of a corrupt bid process, abuse of human rights during construction, etc... and many simply turned a blind eye to it all. The Qataris didn't like all the focus on their 'ways and beliefs' (which they are entitled to of course) and were even defended by some Europeans in a position of power and privilege - but who obviously also have a severe guilt complex and are paid well to support Qatar's credibility to host such an event.

So in terms of Cricket Australia's 'pathetic' decision and the resulting reactions from the Afghanistan Cricket Board, Rashid Khan, Naveen-ul-Haq, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Fazalhaq Farooqi or any other Afghan cricketer who feels they have been let down unjustly - I say this: it is indeed unfortunate what has happened and naturally I'd love to see these players (well, maybe not Fazalhaq, if the allegations are true) perform in cricket competitions all around the world and in their home country. However, I can also see why CA has decided to make a stand and opted not to go ahead with the scheduled matches v. Afghanistan in the UAE. It sends a strong signal about what the new Government here and CA are constantly talking about - and now they have decided to 'walk the walk' as well.

Of course those players above must feel severely aggrieved about this decision. No doubt. Australian cricket has gone out of their way to include them in the BBL and (I don't know whether you see it) wax lyrical about their contributions to the competition on-air and in the many promos before each game. It's almost over the top! I'm quite sure Rashid feels as though as he has struck gold. Up until now.

So I can see why they are now very upset that the 'only happiness they have' has been taken away - no doubt due to the extra money in their bank accounts being taken away as well (or they themselves will choose to quit with the same result) but unfortunately (for these players) this type of action from CA will only slightly intensify the spotlight on the Taliban government and will probably have very little affect in the big scheme of things. Unless, of course, other countries follow suit and don't continue to offer them T20 or 100 contracts.

I don't say this action by CA will have an immediate affect on alleviating "restrictions on women's and girls' education and employment opportunities" but in a way I'm glad that someone has made a stand (albeit in a small way - except for the players above) and that this unfortunate 'sacrifice' will go a little way towards exerting a little more pressure on a regime which does not share a similar view (to most of us) towards unfair treatment of more than half of their country's population.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

JDizzle and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 13 Jan 2023, 9:22 am

There really isn't any easy answer to how to deal with the Afghan sport situation. Is it fair to the Afghan (men's) team to deny them opportunities to play internationally because of their government's policy regarding women's sport ? Well , no : but is it not even more unfair that women from that country are denied the right to play the game at all because that same government are wedded to a medieval attitude ? ((Of course far worse things are being done  to oppress that half of the population - but we are mainly addressing cricket here)

As Olly says , many players have spoken out against the policies and really can't do much more . So I do have sympathy for them. But to be honest I have more sympathy for their women since the Taliban took over and anything that adds to pressure on that regime to consider their rigid rules has some merit , surely ?  If all countries acted the same way , could it possibly have a real effect ? Wish I could be more hopeful.

Of course other countries are far from perfect. But the nearest analogy I can see is the closing off of cricketing relations with SA in the days of apartheid - and that I think did help to put another layer of - very public - pressure on the SA regime. A generation of SA cricketers (including some true stars) were largely deprived of international careers ; which wasn't "fair" to them , as it took no regard of their own personal views on the way non-whites were being treated. But I doubt you'd find many people today who would say SA should not have been treated as a pariah at that time.

Sport and "politics" (or the wider world generally) often clash. And individuals suffer. But really , the cricketers of Afghanistan would still be able to compete in franchise leagues even if the national team were completely denied competition (which probably won't happen) : so no worse off than Russian tennis players , etc...

On balance , I think CA has made the right call. Hope others do the same . Even more hope the Taliban reconsider - but not holding my breath.

alfie

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 13 Jan 2023, 9:44 am

eirebilly_01 wrote:Anyone watching the Sri Lanka India ODI right now? Sri Lanka off to a decent start.

I did in parts and it's what I call meaningless, masala ODIs.
Though close to the world cup, one could wisely use such games to optimized and get closer to their final compositions
Indians experiment without showing any ability to converge their experiments to meaningful results and hence ...
Rishab's clone Ishan inspite of a double ton, is benched and so is India's most mercurial white ball batsman SKY and so is genuine allrounder Washington .

As a result India wins some bilateral, loses some and as remarked earlier will be a force in each of the ICC tournaments in league games but will lose a crucial K.O...because they don't have the perfect 11 for covering the Poopie hits the fan moments or when the opponent raises the level of their game.

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 13 Jan 2023, 10:03 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Thorny subject, but I do feel to the Afghan players and cricket board here - while I get CA's stance, it does feel a bit ridiculous to be pulling out of playing the Afghans mens side for the policies of the Taliban, when many have spoken out against it - what else can they really do?

The argument on this subject are equivocal in my view

On one hand, sports and politics should not be mixed, is not generally mixed and hence Iran, Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Russia, Belarus participate in all Olympics and will do so in Paris 2024...though there will be some notional restrictions on display of Russian flag and anthem.

On the other hand, SA was kept out for ages due to policies of the Apartheid regime, players touring SA banned and I believe Zim was sanctioned, India doesn't play Pak  unless forced in an ICC event .
If a regime is rogue, and doesn't fit in, in accepted social norms of civilized world, why should the world engage with them in sports?
I am kind of inclined to follow this view.

On the other hand also, the specific case of sanctioning AFG acts in favor of Talibanik world view of sports being Unislamic & irrelevant that they often consider banning themselves.
And takes away a few moments of joy and connect with the normal world that repressed citizens of AFG get.

Therefore the decision to ban participation in sports should be done on whether it hurts the regime or the people
For eg. banning Iran and Russia will hurt the regime as it might cause dent in national esteem and fuel rebellion by people against their govt.
Banning AFG & N Korea  will take away a few moments of joy from the repressed populations While their dictators won't give a s.h.it
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Jan 2023, 1:02 pm

The T20 franchise leagues start to dominate the calendar today. Two games in the SA20 league, another one from the Bangladeshi iteration, the ILT20 starts today (Joe Root appearing in the first game), and the Big Bash and NZ's Super Smash have already had fixtures.

I also see that Zimbabwe beat Ireland in a T20 yesterday, with former England player Ballance getting his first Zimbabwe cap.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 13 Jan 2023, 1:11 pm

With regards to Afghanistan, I think the closest analogue would be South Africa under Apartheid - immoral and discriminatory Government policies that led to the country becoming an international pariah, and historic international sporting links being suspended for about 20 years. Cost BArry Richards a place in our Hall of Fame and a meaningful Test career as a great batsman.

While politics and sport ideally shouldn't mix, in the real world they inevitably and invariably do, and the situation with the Taliban in charge of Afghanistan means that normal international relations cannot continue at this time.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 13 Jan 2023, 1:38 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Thorny subject, but I do feel to the Afghan players and cricket board here - while I get CA's stance, it does feel a bit ridiculous to be pulling out of playing the Afghans mens side for the policies of the Taliban, when many have spoken out against it - what else can they really do?

Cricket Australia have made the 100% right decision here. If it was down to me the mens team would be ineligible to play all international cricket.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Jan 2023, 7:04 pm

dummy_half wrote:With regards to Afghanistan, I think the closest analogue would be South Africa under Apartheid - immoral and discriminatory Government policies that led to the country becoming an international pariah, and historic international sporting links being suspended for about 20 years. Cost BArry Richards a place in our Hall of Fame and a meaningful Test career as a great batsman.

While politics and sport ideally shouldn't mix, in the real world they inevitably and invariably do, and the situation with the Taliban in charge of Afghanistan means that normal international relations cannot continue at this time.

Point of order, Dummy. Barry Richards was awared a place in our Hall of Fame with 100% of the votes cast (including your own); Fists of Fury's post of 12 February 2012 confirms (unable to attach on current device).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 14 Jan 2023, 9:06 am

India has brought SKY and Ishan Kishen into the test match squad against Aus

While Ishan will just walk in for Rishab...and might be a like for like replacement
Fitting SKY in will be difficult...
3 spinners in Axar, Jadeja and Ashwin all of whom can bat are a given
the only way to play SKY will be if the pitch is an spinning one and Ind plays only one seamer
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 14 Jan 2023, 9:33 am

KP_fan wrote:India has brought SKY and Ishan Kishen into the test match squad against Aus

While Ishan will just walk in for Rishab...and might be a like for like replacement
the only way to play SKY will be if the pitch is an spinning one and Ind plays only one seamer

But will Jadeja be fit ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 14 Jan 2023, 1:18 pm

alfie wrote:
KP_fan wrote:India has brought SKY and Ishan Kishen into the test match squad against Aus

But will Jadeja be fit ?
maybe.......the selectors think he is fit and would like him to play a FC game to prove his fitness before the Aus test

On Friday, Chetan Sharma-led new selection committee announced three squads at once. But Jadeja found place only for first two Tests against Australia starting next month. However, it also came with the condition that the all-rounder must pass fitness test.

“He did pass the initial fitness test. But the NCA still believes he is not yet at 100%. Considering his history of serious injuries, the selectors did not want to rush a return. The Australia series will be far more important than the NewZealand series. That is why he was not considered for the white-ball series,” a senior BCCI official told InsideSport.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Jan 2023, 12:40 pm

Update on Pant: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/india-keeper-rishabh-pant-expected-to-be-out-of-action-for-most-of-2023-1353807

Rishabh Pant is unlikely to play any cricket for most of 2023 and is set to miss a slew of marquee tournaments including the IPL. ESPNcricinfo has learned that the medical update given to the BCCI on Pant, who survived a car crash on December 30, says the wicket-keeper batter has torn all three key ligaments in his knee, two of which were reconstructed recently while surgery on the third is expected after six weeks.

As a consequence, Pant is in danger of being sidelined for at least six months, which could also potentially affect his chances of being fit for selection for the ODI World Cup, scheduled to take place in India in October-November.

Sounds like a tough battle to get back on the cricket field and replicate his usual level, never mind the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Jan 2023, 1:25 pm

And India about to wrap up a 3-0 over Sri Lanka. India 390/5, SL 39/6 in reply.

Sri Lanka bowled out for 73, meaning India win by 317 runs. That marks the biggest ever win by runs in the history of ODI cricket, and the first ODI win to ever be by 300 runs or greater, eclipsing the previous record of 290 runs which was achieved by NZ over Ireland in 2008.

SL have a couple of months to shake this hammering off before they visit NZ in a key three match ODI series - SL will need to win at least two of the three to have any chance of qualifying directly for the World Cup. It's currently very well poised in the Super League:

8th: West Indies, 88 points, no more games left.
9th: Sri Lanka, 77 points, three games v NZ away in March, maximum potential 107 points.
10th: Ireland, 68 points, three games v Bangladesh at home in May, maximum potential 98 points.
11th: South Africa, 59 points, three games v England at home in January, two games v the Dutch at home in March/April, maximum potential 109 points.

8th is the final direct qualifying spot for the World Cup. 9th and lower will have to go through the Qualifier event, where ten teams will battle for the final two spots.

Wouldn't like to call who gets 8th from here! If Ireland managed to take 8th spot, then at least one of the West Indies/Sri Lanka/South Africa trio would be missing at the World Cup, which would be quite incredible.

It's technically in South Africa's hands, if they win all five no one can stop them, but it's very unlikely they'll beat England 3-0 later this month.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 15 Jan 2023, 6:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:Update on Pant: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/india-keeper-rishabh-pant-expected-to-be-out-of-action-for-most-of-2023-1353807

Rishabh Pant is unlikely to play any cricket for most of 2023 and is set to miss a slew of marquee tournaments including the IPL. ESPNcricinfo has learned that the medical update given to the BCCI on Pant, who survived a car crash on December 30, says the wicket-keeper batter has torn all three key ligaments in his knee, two of which were reconstructed recently while surgery on the third is expected after six weeks.

As a consequence, Pant is in danger of being sidelined for at least six months, which could also potentially affect his chances of being fit for selection for the ODI World Cup, scheduled to take place in India in October-November.

Sounds like a tough battle to get back on the cricket field and replicate his usual level, never mind the World Cup.

He will surely play again in a years time if not earlier.
Knee ligament surgery healing is 4 to 6 months....so by June he could be at the NCA and then starts the hard steep slope of rehab.....could be 3 month or 6 months.......world cup is a long shot but other than that the big misses would be 4 tests vs Aus and a potential WTC final that India might find themselves in.
A shame self inflicted  injury.........rich in Indian don't drive late night and early hours......they have chauffeurs or take flights or 1st class coupe in AC trains.....arrogance of youth to stretch the body limits has cost him.
But it could have been much worse and potentially fatal.

There is ridiculous amount of talent that Ind is overflowing with........KL Rahul, Ishan, and Samson all capable WKs who will not let Pant's absence be felt much in ODIs and domestic tests....overseas test is a different ball game.....where Pant is not just the best of the WK batsmen but simply India's best batsman

The other deptt where Ind find themselves with a problem of extreme plenty are spin bowling all-rounders in Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar and Washington and now Kuldeep has worked on his batting, all available for the tests vs Aus and all but ashwin vying for spots in ODIs.

The mauling of Lanka in the 3 ODIs was comprehensive and deceptively assuring, for Lankans have been a listless B grade side for sometime.
Kohli's form is heartening and I hope he can carry it into the tests and i think he will
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Jan 2023, 11:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:And India about to wrap up a 3-0 over Sri Lanka. India 390/5, SL 39/6 in reply.

Sri Lanka bowled out for 73, meaning India win by 317 runs. That marks the biggest ever win by runs in the history of ODI cricket, and the first ODI win to ever be by 300 runs or greater, eclipsing the previous record of 290 runs which was achieved by NZ over Ireland in 2008.

SL have a couple of months to shake this hammering off before they visit NZ in a key three match ODI series - SL will need to win at least two of the three to have any chance of qualifying directly for the World Cup. It's currently very well poised in the Super League:

9th: Sri Lanka, 77 points, three games v NZ away in March, maximum potential 107 points.
10th: Ireland, 68 points, three games v Bangladesh at home in May, maximum potential 98 points.
11th: South Africa, 59 points, three games v England at home in January, two games v the Dutch at home in March/April, maximum potential 109 points.

8th is the final direct qualifying spot for the World Cup. 9th and lower will have to go through the Qualifier event, where ten teams will battle for the final two spots.

Wouldn't like to call who gets 8th from here! If Ireland managed to take 8th spot, then at least one of the West Indies/Sri Lanka/South Africa trio would be missing at the World Cup, which would be quite incredible.

It's technically in South Africa's hands, if they win all five no one can stop them, but it's very unlikely they'll beat England 3-0 later this month.

That is very interesting indeed. ODI results can be a bit unpredictable of course ; but from those figures I'd suggest West Indies are doomed . Sri Lanka would have an excellent chance if they could win twice in NZ (maybe not easy !) ; and Ireland would have to play out of their skins to get 98 : but if they did it would likely be enough. Perhaps most likely SA will end up with 89 and the eighth spot.

the tricky bit : what if Ireland won two = 88 , tied with West Indies...and both SA and Sri Lanka ended up short on say 79 and 87 (just about possible) : What is the tie-breaker ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Jan 2023, 11:33 pm

Yes, a good spot. The tie-breaker is net run rate - the West Indies on -0.738 and Ireland currently -0.382, so Ireland have the advantage there and would presumably retain it should they beat Bangladesh 2-1. Sri Lanka -0.094 and South Africa -0.458.

Added complications to the potential scoring are no results (which grant five points) and point, or points, deductions for slow over rates. Any of those could prove pivotal. Sri Lanka have already lost three points total due to slow over rates - that's currently the difference between them needing two wins, rather than one, over NZ to overtake the West Indies.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 16 Jan 2023, 4:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:...

Very interesting - I actually wouldn't rule WI out, although it's probably a less than 25% chance of their current position being enough.
South Africa would be expected to beat Netherlands twice, getting to 79, but would then need one win or two no results in 3 matches against England, which is possible but by no means a certainty. Probably though the most likely to go through - that one extra point may well prove significant.
Don't see SL beating NZ twice in NZ, although one win and a no result would also be enough and is perhaps as likely.
Ireland v Bangladesh in Ireland probably favours the home side, but will likely be competitive - can see that being a 2-1 series either way, with 2 wind for Ireland putting them to 88 points and probably a better run rate (would need to have 2 tight wins and one absolute shellacking to hurt the run rate enough).

So, if anyone wants to put money on this, go for entirely the opposite of my quantified predictions below:
South Africa - 55% likelihood of qualification
Ireland - 20%
West Indies - 20%
Sri Lanka 5%

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next