The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The RWC phase

+31
propdavid_london
dummy_half
George Carlin
RiscaGame
alfie
king_carlos
Sgt_Pooly
yappysnap
WELL-PAST-IT
Oakdene
Collapse2005
Big
Poorfour
Recwatcher16
lostinwales
Rugby Fan
bsando
Yoda
CaptainHaddock
doctor_grey
Barney McGrew did it
carpet baboon
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
hugehandoff
Duty281
No 7&1/2
Heaf
Mr Bounce
Cumbrian
mountain man
35 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The RWC phase - Page 20 Empty Re: England still winning the RWC at a canter - The RWC phase

Post by mountain man Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Assuming and currently it is quite a big assumption England get through group I can't see them winning QF against whoever they face. Bloody hopeless

mountain man

Back to top Go down

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The RWC phase - Page 20 Empty Re: England still winning the RWC at a canter - The RWC phase

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:28 am

Why does Ford have to be 10?

No 7&1/2

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:38 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Why does Ford have to be 10?

There probably isn't time for him to retrain for the front row Very Happy

(Mind you, he's not a bad back-up scrum half)

Rugby Fan

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:48 am

He doesn't but it's only position to play him and it seems Borthwick doesn't rate Smith at 10 and also Smith has never quite convinced for England at 10.
So, it's between Ford and Farrell for 10 spot and on balance Ford better option.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:53 am

Ah. Still not sure why Smith has been deemed not impress he's done everything asked of him. Ford and Farrell similarly constrained by what they're asked to do. I think if we go with 1 it surely has to be Farrell.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:56 am

Ford doesn't have to be 10, but between him and Farrell he's played better there.  He's had some less than inspiring performances, but salvaged the Wales and Argentina games, and was awarded player of the match against Japan (arguably a low bar given it wasn't a great game, but presumably did enough to impress the home commentators that decide it) - and all of those better performances have come with a proper midfield player outside him.  So, if I had to choose between the guy who's played well at best and meh at worst, or the guy who's played meh at best or red-card/overrun stop-clock bad at worst - I'd go for the former.  I'd rather be choosing between Ford and Smith at 10 on current form, but Borthwick doesn't seem to be seriously considering Smith there at the moment.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:24 am

I think I'd prefer Ford. At least he can kick a penalty within 60 seconds. Regardless having 2 actual centres makes a great deal of difference. Having an actual running threat on the wing would also make a difference.

I am a huge fan of May, and he knows what to do with chasing kicks and positioning, but without the afterburners he used to have he really isn't the kind of danger he used to be. Marchant is a super player. I'd argue that he hasn't entirely clicked at this level, but is well worth persevering with. He was picked as a winger yesterday but spent most of the time in the centre. For whatever reason our back line organisation was not good.

Last moan, because it is all so depressing. The lack of imagination shown by England in the opposition 22 is a terrible thing (with the exception of Care's try). We had one stunning maul and it seemed to be the go to tactic forever after when time after time you could see it wasn't going to work and with no back up plan it was all going to end in failure. We got into the Samoan 22 multiple times, and didn't convert. More efficiency in that 22 and we wouldn't have been arguing the toss over a knock on that was only spotted 5 minutes after the event. I guess it is indicative of lack of confidence (and lack of carrying options out wide, barring our new ginger winger).

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:26 am

What is crucial is 15/23 picked for QF.
Must get Ludlum back in 23 and Ribbans and I'd have Arundell in there as well as England need some genuine pace in backline.

No doubt media etc be focused on Ford Farrell but there are other positions equally as key.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:31 am

Replacement for Willis. What about Slade.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:32 am

lostinwales wrote:Replacement for Willis. What about Slade.

Mercer.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:44 am

mountain man wrote:
No doubt media etc be focused on Ford Farrell but there are other positions equally as key.

I think it was Monye who quite rightly commented to the effect that it didn't matter who was at 10 yesterday as they had nothing to work with - which was true. Better tactics and a bit more dynamism from the team as a whole is arguably more important than any single selection. It is past time for the coaches to earn their crust.

Big

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:51 am

Big wrote:
mountain man wrote:

I think it was Monye who quite rightly commented to the effect that it didn't matter who was at 10 yesterday as they had nothing to work with - which was true.  Better tactics and a bit more dynamism from the team as a whole is arguably more important than any single selection.  It is past time for the coaches to earn their crust.

100 per cent.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:07 am

Monye had a Brian Moore moment yesterday...shouting...keep hold of the ball man!! As we kicked it away after taking the lead

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:07 am

mountain man wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Replacement for Willis. What about Slade.

Mercer.

Good choice but very low probability

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20