The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

+35
dummy_half
Welshmushroom
Big
Cumbrian
sensisball
bsando
Morgan75
westisbest
neilthom7
No 7&1/2
doctor_grey
Geordie
Old Man
BigGee
eirebilly_01
geoff999rugby
Galted
Collapse2005
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
Duty281
lostinwales
LeinsterFan4life
Heaf
carpet baboon
TJ
mountain man
formerly known as Sam
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
TAFKA The Oracle
Lowlandbrit
Poorfour
Sgt_Pooly
39 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 4 Empty Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 28 Sep 2023, 6:03 am

First topic message reminder :

Carried on from.........

https://www.606v2.com/t71218-rugby-world-cup-other-team-games-and-general-chat

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 4 Empty Re: Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

Post by doctor_grey Fri 06 Oct 2023, 5:56 pm

Heaf wrote:The bit in bold clarifies it - the first criteria (head to head) is indeterminate for 3 tied teams so it moves to the second one - points difference.  Once the top team is determined from PD then the criteria goes back to the top for the remaining 2 teams - head to head ...
Please don't mention head-to-head helping determine winners if Owen Farrell is within listening distance.

doctor_grey

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat - Page 4 Empty Re: Rugby World Cup - other team/games and general chat

Post by Geordie Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:05 pm

Ah man do we have to have this monotonal female commentator every game. If they have to insist on females commentating there must be better ones.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:08 pm

Watching the French game chuckling that people complained that England kicked TOO much laughinglaughinglaughinglaughinglaughing

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:30 pm

Geordie wrote:Ah man do we have to have this monotonal female commentator every game. If they have to insist on females commentating there must be better ones.

She’s awful. Truly truly awful.

And it’s not because she’s a woman by the way. Claire Thomas is a good commentator. Nolli Waterman is just a screeching noise
tigertattie
tigertattie

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:40 pm

Well that’s it. Rugby is fecked
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:41 pm

Oh look, Marius Jonker oversteps his remit again. He was arguing for clear head contact when a) it’s not clear at all and b) as Waterman has correctly pointed out, Lucu was dropping into a clearout that was otherwise legal.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Geordie and Lowlandbrit like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:44 pm

The Italian hit the 9 in the chest then the 9 couldn’t handle the hit and folded like an accordion.

Of anything the French 9 chinned the Italian. That’s a right Love sacks call
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2023, 8:49 pm

Ehhhh. Why did three french players chase that conversion attempt? Did they think it was a penalty lol
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 06 Oct 2023, 9:07 pm

tigertattie wrote:Ehhhh. Why did three french players chase that conversion attempt? Did they think it was a penalty lol

They're just getting some more metres in the legs for next week's QF.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 06 Oct 2023, 9:21 pm

Poorfour wrote:Oh look, Marius Jonker oversteps his remit again. He was arguing for clear head contact when a) it’s not clear at all and b) as Waterman has correctly pointed out, Lucu was dropping into a clearout that was otherwise legal.

Maybe he got confused as he's wearing a white shirt ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 11:56 am

Japan/Argentina starts in a few minutes. Effectively a straight knockout game with both teams on 9 points. Wouldn't have given Japan much of a chance before the tournament started, but Argentina have been quite poor in the World Cup so far.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 1:07 pm

Now my lot have been sent homeward tae think again, I can focus on the big questions around the other teams.

Question 1 - Why is the Japanese hooker playing in what appears to be a giant nappie???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 1:50 pm

Argentina win 39-27, one of the best games at this World Cup.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 08 Oct 2023, 3:19 pm

Yep, Wales v Argentina is looking more interesting now ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 08 Oct 2023, 4:22 pm

I said on the Welsh thread, that I think wales will be a bit better defensively than Japan were. It’ll be a good game though. Sad to see Argentina probably lose a key backrower today too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:09 pm

Aussies starting to dream? Portugal leading 10-3.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:14 pm

Portugal nearly went back-to-back, before Fiji countered and leveled it up at 10-10.

But Botia could be red-carded for a head-on-head. Unlikely, the way this WC has been officiated...

Portugal get over again!

Last edited by Duty281 on Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:14 pm

Wow...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:15 pm

Would England rather play Australia?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:17 pm

Geordie wrote:Would England rather play Australia?

I'd have said yes a few weeks ago, but Fiji have been so poor against Georgia and Portugal that I'm not sure there'll be much of a difference.

The England-Australia potential QF would be played at the same ground as in 2007.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:23 pm

Are Australia through if Fiji lose or is it a po8nts requirement

Also why do they roll this female commentator every game? She's awful...

Waiting for Fiji to push the big black and white entertainment button...ffs.

Geordie

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:26 pm

Fiji have to lose by 8 points or more and not get four tries for Australia to get through.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:28 pm

So is this the Fiji that is apparently going to murder us next week?  Do we think perhaps they've been a little overhyped based on a world cup warm up? And maybe there has been a slight overestimation of them?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:31 pm

Probably not based on the warm up. They looked strong against Wales and Australia at the beginning of the World Cup, but their level has fallen off v Georgia and Portugal.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:35 pm

I wonder how the Australia squad are feeling right now!

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:37 pm

Aw God I wish she'd shut up

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:38 pm

Duty281 wrote:Probably not based on the warm up. They looked strong against Wales and Australia at the beginning of the World Cup, but their level has fallen off v Georgia and Portugal.

I'm not saying they are a bad team or that we we'll definitely win, but the fatalism of some English fans has been ridiculous.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:40 pm

Fiji are missing Kuruvoli and Tagitagivalu who have been two of their best players across the tournament. Tela who is their best remaining 10 with Muntz sadly injured. Draosese who is their best 15. Plus Radrada of course but their wing and centre depth is very good.

There are a fair few absentees from a likely 23 for the QFs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:49 pm

I like that Portuguese winger - the no.11

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:51 pm

Bloody brilliant for Portugal....that's fabulous

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:52 pm

lostinwales wrote:I like that Portuguese winger - the no.11

14 is better

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:54 pm

Love the passion, I would hazard the opinion that if English players went about things with that level of commitment, we wouldn't find ourselves as disappointed as we often are.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:54 pm

Geordie wrote:

14 is better

To be honest the Portuguese back line is good. The handling skills make us look even more terrible

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:55 pm

Amazing! Well done Portugal, fully deserved. They've been a breath of fresh air at this World Cup, plus their fans are tremendously passionate. Get them in the Six Nations.

Fiji limp to the KO stages. Both them and England not looking too clever.

Australia out in the group phase for the first time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:56 pm

A wonderful victory for Portugal. What a celebration they are about to have. There will likely be players who have lifted the RWC in tournaments gone by that didn't feel the same level of elation as some of those Portuguese players have taken time off from work to be there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Oct 2023, 9:56 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Geordie wrote:

14 is better

To be honest the Portuguese back line is good. The handling skills make us look even more terrible
absolutely....!!

Is it time for a European championship every two years?

Maybe 2/3 groups

Geordie

Cumbrian, lostinwales, Big and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 08 Oct 2023, 10:09 pm

Well done to Portugal! They’ve played some of the most attractive rugby of the pools. Deserved winners. What a way to close out the pool stages.

bsando

Cumbrian, Luckless Pedestrian, doctor_grey, king_carlos, Big, TheMildlyFranticLlama and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun 08 Oct 2023, 11:17 pm

Portugal played with more nous, skill, bravery and spirit than Scotland could even dream of mustering.

A brilliant send off for the Bayonne Express, who  is in charge for his final match as Portugal's head coach.
Their last ditch tackling was nothing short of astounding at times, and they never, ever gave up.

sensisball

Luckless Pedestrian and Rugby Fan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 09 Oct 2023, 11:06 am

So if results go a certain way history could be created next week. If Ireland, France, England & Wales all win it could be the first time in the history of the world cup that no SH side has made the semi finals.

Granted that would take some doing but not impossible at this stage.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 09 Oct 2023, 11:39 am

As expected for months, there appear to be 4 teams who would be worthy winners, but they are playing each other in the quarter finals.

As for the all NH semi-final line-up, I reckon that in each QF the northern hemisphere team is the favourite:
England v Fiji - a decent to good England performance should be enough. Play like they did v Samoa and it will be tough.

Wales v Argentina - I think Wales have been the pleasant surprise of the tournament so far. Significant improvement from the 6ns. Argentina a bit of a disappointment to date. So Wales fairly solid favourites.

Ireland v NZ - Ireland currently world #1 and in great form. Such a well balanced and well organised team, that it never looks like they do any particular thing exceptionally well, but the sum of the parts is outstanding. NZ looked a bit out of sorts against France but have come back well since - probably have more 'flash' than Ireland, but also more weaknesses.

France v SA - This will be a mighty game, with probably the two most powerful teams in the tournament taking each other on. I think France have probably the better balance and flair, but will Dupont be back and playing well? Could be critical.

So the first two I have England and Wales as at least 75% likely to win, the other two are much closer although I favour the NH sides in both. Chances of a NH winner? Really depends on those last two quarters - I think if NZ or SA get through they will go on to win overall.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 11:55 am

The other thing for consideration as a result of these QFs is what state the winners of the most gruelling games are going to be in.

Ordinarily, the winners of France/SA would be big favourites to beat the winners of England/Fiji, and the same for Ireland/NZ over Wales/Argentina, but what condition will those heavyweights be in after those intense QFs....? And a possibility of ET, too.

Duty281

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Mon 09 Oct 2023, 12:14 pm

Its probably a goodidea if someone open a QF thread, or play off thread. Wher's the writers?

Old Man

Rugby Fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 09 Oct 2023, 12:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:The other thing for consideration as a result of these QFs is what state the winners of the most gruelling games are going to be in.

Ordinarily, the winners of France/SA would be big favourites to beat the winners of England/Fiji, and the same for Ireland/NZ over Wales/Argentina, but what condition will those heavyweights be in after those intense QFs....? And a possibility of ET, too.

Yeah it really is outrageous that a side at the start of the tournament ranked around 10th like Wales could get to a semi while only having to face no sides ranked above 7th in the world. While Ireland for example will have to beat 2nd, 4th and 5th in the world to get to a quarter.

Collapse2005

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 09 Oct 2023, 12:52 pm

That's what happens when you make the draw 3 years out ... won't be the first time or the last unless they change something ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 09 Oct 2023, 1:14 pm

Heaf wrote:That's what happens when you make the draw 3 years out ... won't be the first time or the last unless they change something ...

You only have to go back to 2019 to find a team that got to the semi without beating a team ranked above 7th...

Big

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 Oct 2023, 3:04 pm

I don’t remember this volume of whinging when Wales, England and Australia were in the same pool! Smile

mikey_dragon

Pal Joey and Heaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 09 Oct 2023, 3:19 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I don’t remember this volume of whinging when Wales, England and Australia were in the same pool! Smile
Likewise, England, Argentina and Scotland in the same pool in 2011. England had finished 2nd, and Argentina 3rd, in the previous World Cup.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 Oct 2023, 3:20 pm

There hasn't been much chat about it here but the Argentina v Japan match was absolutely outstanding.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 11 Oct 2023, 6:37 am

Can't help thinking rugby pundits spend too much time with each other at tournaments, as they start using the same turns of phrase.

Everyone currently seems averse to answering a question with the word "Yes". Instead, it's "100%".

- Ugo, do you think Portugal need more support from World Rugby?
- 100%

- Shane, can Warren Gatland get Wales to a semi-final?
- 100%

Also, teams don't seem to play rugby anymore at this World Cup, they "go about their business". While other adverbs are available, most good teams do this "quietly".

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 11 Oct 2023, 8:50 am

Cliches spread through conversation in all walks of life, unfortunately. In my time as a consultant we’ve had vogues for the likes of “admiring the problem”, “hitting the sweet spot”, “that’s the right answer” and “moving at the speed of e”.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next