The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prem Round 6

+7
Duty281
Cumbrian
No 7&1/2
doctor_grey
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Prem Round 6 Empty Prem Round 6

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Nov 2023, 12:35 pm

Friday
Bath v Bristol - 19.45 (TNT Sports)
Sale v Newcastle - 19.45 (Prem TV)

Saturday
Leicester v Northampton - 15.05 (TNT Sports)
Harlequins v Saracens - 17.30 (TNT Sports)

Sunday
Exeter v Gloucester - 15.00 (TNT Sports)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Prem Round 6 Empty Re: Prem Round 6

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 15 Nov 2023, 2:06 pm

Bit of a weekend of derby games.

East Midlands Derby should be good. Tigers desperately need a result in that one and should hopefully have all their big names back. Saints are in good form and will want a result at WR to keep momentum going as well as the obvious bragging rights.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 16 Nov 2023, 12:49 pm

Newcastle Falcons team v Sale Sharks (Friday, 7.45pm, Salford Community Stadium)

15 Ben Redshaw,
14 Louis Brown,
13 Zach Kerr,
12 Cameron Hutchison,
11 Iwan Stephens,
10 Josh Thomas,
9 James Elliott;

1 Phil Brantingham,
2 Bryan Byrne,
3 Murray McCallum,
4 Tim Cardall,
5 Kiran McDonald,
6 John Hawkins,
7 Guy Pepper,
8 Callum Chick (captain).

Replacements: 16 Charlie Maddison, 17 Adam Brocklebank, 18 Mark Tampin, 19 John Kelly, 20 Josh Bainbridge, 21 Josh Barton, 22 Louie Johnson, 23 Oliver Spencer.

Not available for selection: Jamie Blamire, Mateo Carreras, Sam Clark, Sam Cross, Ben Douglas, Isaac Keller, Matias Moroni, Richard Palframan, Tom Penny, Adam Radwan, Sam Stuart, Marcus Tiffen, George Wacokecoke.

Sale Sharks:
15 Joe Carpenter,
14 Tom Roebuck,
13 Sam James,
12 Sam Bedlow,
11 Arron Reed,
10 Rob du Preez,
9 Gus Warr;

1 Bevan Rodd,
2 Agustin Creevy,
3 James Harper,
4 Cobus Wiese,
5 Jonny Hill,
6 Ernst van Rhyn,
7 Ben Curry (captain),
8 Dan du Preez.

Replacements: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Ross Harrison, 18 Asher Opoku-Fordjour 19 Ben Bamber, 20 Sam Dugdale, 21 Nye Thomas, 22 Tom Curtis, 23 Alex Wills.

Referee: Adam Leal.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 16 Nov 2023, 12:49 pm

Ref: Christophe Ridley
TJs: Joe James & Greg MacDonald
TMO: Stuart Terhegee

Bath:
1 Beno Obano
2 Tom Dunn
3 Will Stuart
4 Fergus Lee-Warner
5 Charlie Ewels
6 Miles Reid
7 Sam Underhill
8 Jaco Coetzee

09 Ben Spencer ©
10 Finn Russell
11 Will Muir
12 Cameron Redpath
13 Ollie Lawrence
14 Joe Cokanasiga
15 Matt Gallagher

16 Niall Annett, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 GJ van Velze, 20 Alfie Barbeary
21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Orlando Bailey, 23 Max Ojomoh

Bristol:
1. Ellis Genge
2. Gabriel Oghre
3. Max Lahiff
4. Ed Holmes
5. Joe Batley
6. James Dun
7. Harry Thacker
8. Magnus Bradbury

09. Harry Randall (c)
10. Callum Sheedy
11. Gabriel Ibitoye
12. Benhard Janse van Rensburg
13. Virimi Vakatawa
14. Piers O'Conor
15. Rich Lane

16. Will Capon, 17. Jake Woolmore, 18. Kyle Sinckler, 19. Josh Caulfield, 20. Dan Thomas
21. Kieran Marmion, 22. James Williams, 23. Max Malins

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Nov 2023, 10:28 am

Very young Falcons backline for what could be a tough time against Sale, who at least appear to be resting a couple.

Harry Thacker at 7 appears again for Bristol. Bit of an odd move with him and Oghre similar players. It was a tactic I thought Tigers could have made more use of when we had Bateman as a hooker in the squad, big converted prop who was great in the tight and at scrum time but who's lineout wasn't great. Playing both at the same time would have provided some potential advantages.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Nov 2023, 10:35 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Very young Falcons backline for what could be a tough time against Sale, who at least appear to be resting a couple.

Harry Thacker at 7 appears again for Bristol. Bit of an odd move with him and Oghre similar players. It was a tactic I thought Tigers could have made more use of when we had Bateman as a hooker in the squad, big converted prop who was great in the tight and at scrum time but who's lineout wasn't great. Playing both at the same time would have provided some potential advantages.

It is Sam...but how long do we persevere with Connon at 10 whos proving he just cant do it?

Some good young players....just get them playing. Hutchinson is a Scottish 12...a hard carrying direct 12...hopefully he can be the fulcrum for these lads to work around.

Same in the pack...Brantingham etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Nov 2023, 4:12 pm

Geordie wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Very young Falcons backline for what could be a tough time against Sale, who at least appear to be resting a couple.

It is Sam...but how long do we persevere with Connon at 10 whos proving he just cant do it?

Some good young players....just get them playing. Hutchinson is a Scottish 12...a hard carrying direct 12...hopefully he can be the fulcrum for these lads to work around.

Same in the pack...Brantingham etc...

It's the difference of drip feeding one or two into an otherwise experienced backline Vs going for one or two experienced players.

Falcons do need an injection of quality at half back. Hutchinson at 12 I think could work out well for you. The lock combo should be good, they are both the right age and experience to be solid in this league.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Nov 2023, 8:06 pm

Yeah easy to do with a wealthy club though Sam. What have we got.

Gotta just go for it

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 17 Nov 2023, 8:56 pm

Is Barbeary planning to audition for a remake of Boys From the Black Stuff?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 17 Nov 2023, 9:05 pm

That was a fantastic try from Bristol. Fantastic to see Ibitoye living up to his potential - really smart play - and Malins actually finishing something for once.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 17 Nov 2023, 9:10 pm

Poorfour wrote:That was a fantastic try from Bristol. Fantastic to see Ibitoye living up to his potential - really smart play - and Malins actually finishing something for once.
Thought the same thing. Not just making the pass, but reading the defense and making the right pass. All at full speed.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Nov 2023, 9:13 pm

Geordie wrote:Yeah easy to do with a wealthy club though Sam. What have we got.

Gotta just go for it

Given your injuries not many options but Orlando could be there as well to provide two centres with experience etc.

That being said it appears to be four tries a piece so far.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 17 Nov 2023, 10:16 pm

Well that was much better.

The pack really came through...Brantingham was excellent as was Cadsall and McDonald...and MaCallum was having fun out there.

Thomas at 10 didn't have an easy night.. but he's young...see how he goes. Maybe Johnson will get a run next week.

Ben Redshaw won't be with us long..he'll be a wanted man. 18 year old and just so mature and quality.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 12:57 pm

How did Opoku-Fordjour go?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 18 Nov 2023, 1:19 pm

Did a couple of flashy sidesteps and not alot else.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 1:27 pm

The scrum go OK when he came on.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 18 Nov 2023, 3:59 pm

Chewing my way through the East Mids derby, one for the purist so far. Northampton must be infuriating to support, they seem to fall into all of the obvious traps. I could have told you before the game that Reffell would be hunting at the breakdown, but they aren't committing enough men to rucks or supporting their players in attack. Don't think much of Furbank's performance at the moment. It isn't like they are lacking fullbacks either.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:04 pm

Furbank is generally awful in the mental side of the game. Always seems to bottle things especially when he has time to think. The breakdown is the wild west with Dickson allowing everyone to go off their feet to compete and in that weather is always going to create a scrappy affair.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:24 pm

Interested to see how Pollock goes, he certainly doesn't seem to lack confidence!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:33 pm

Going backwards at the scrum isn't against the laws though Karl. He's such a bad ref.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:37 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The scrum go OK when he came on.

Yeah it was OK but I think Brantingham has gone off by then and he was playing well.

Geordie

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:40 pm

What an awful piece of refereeing there. Why not hold off the whistle and check. Dreadful

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:41 pm

Why on earth didn't the ref let that play out? That would have been a Saints try!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 4:41 pm

Exactly. It's baffling that Dickson still gets Premiership games. He's so bad.

I think Saints are down to 13, but doesn't appear the commentators have clocked it.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Nov 2023, 5:06 pm

Really nice try to end the match.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 18 Nov 2023, 5:16 pm

I only saw the final 30 minutes or so.

Tigers defensive alignment out wide is still falling apart so quickly. Really worrying for the season ahead. If teams get over the gain line or string about 3 phases together the defensive line just falls into disarray.

It seemed that Heyes and Cole did a number on the Waller's though.

I'll watch the match back in full before commenting much more as I missed most the game. I got it on as Tigers were banging away at the line, Cole came on, they got the try and Ethan Waller was binned. Then Tigers played a lot of astonishingly poor and outright dumb rugby against 13 men. Hanro's smart tap and go, strong finish giving them a cushion just as it looked like they'd hit self destruct.

From what little I saw it seemed that Mitchell continued his good England form. The amount that his kicking and defensive work in the back field has improved since being back with England is really impressive.

Freeman was strong as well. Really good player.

The guy that caught my eye most was Pollock though. Only 18-years-old and he didn't look out of place in a midlands derby against Wiese, Reffell and Liebenberg. He seems a hell of an athlete. Rapid for a back row and strong in contact. He just seemed to keep popping up exactly where he was needed in attack and defence. Definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Nov 2023, 7:26 pm

king_carlos wrote:I

The guy that caught my eye most was Pollock though. Only 18-years-old and he didn't look out of place in a midlands derby against Wiese, Reffell and Liebenberg. He seems a hell of an athlete. Rapid for a back row and strong in contact. He just seemed to keep popping up exactly where he was needed in attack and defence. Definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on.

Scottish Qualified apparently Run

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 18 Nov 2023, 10:04 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Why on earth didn't the ref let that play out?  That would have been a Saints try!

The Pollock one? Last replay showed it came off his hand. Bit lucky for Dickson.

My observations were that both scrum halfs kicked pretty inaccurately with Mitchell probably edging it on the iffy kicking, Youngs walked the inaccurate passing contest though. Can't wait to have JVP back.

Freeman was arguably Saints best player, possibly helped by Guy Porter's abject display at 13 for Tigers.

Tigers pack did a number on Saints at the scrum and breakdown. Charging down Mitchell on several occasions, turning over the ball with impunity. Saints conceded a lot of penalties, some of which were easily avoidable especially the one that led to the Liebenburg score.

Tigers really should have put the game to bed more emphatically during the period where Saints were down to 13.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 18 Nov 2023, 11:12 pm

BigGee wrote:
king_carlos wrote:The guy that caught my eye most was Pollock though. Only 18-years-old and he didn't look out of place in a midlands derby against Wiese, Reffell and Liebenberg. He seems a hell of an athlete. Rapid for a back row and strong in contact. He just seemed to keep popping up exactly where he was needed in attack and defence. Definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on.

I'm expecting the England A vs Portugal A fixture to be used to tie a few players in that sort of scenario.

I'd seen Pollock at U18s but it's difficult to read to much there I think. Whereas at U20s teammates and opponents are all more filled out. That's the first I'd seen of him at senior level and he just kept impressing me. Repeatedly throughout the 30 minutes I watched I found myself thinking, "who's that absolute nuisance in that ruck", then a kid wearing 20 would roll out. He just kept being in the right place, doing good stuff and didn't look out of place physically considering he's 18. He gave me Jack Clifford vibes but seems to have more talent for hitting in the tackle.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 6:45 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Why on earth didn't the ref let that play out? That would have been a Saints try!

The Pollock one? Last replay showed it came off his hand. Bit lucky for Dickson.

My observations were that both scrum halfs kicked pretty inaccurately with Mitchell probably edging it on the iffy kicking, Youngs walked the inaccurate passing contest though. Can't wait to have JVP back.

Freeman was arguably Saints best player, possibly helped by Guy Porter's abject display at 13 for Tigers.

Tigers pack did a number on Saints at the scrum and breakdown. Charging down Mitchell on several occasions, turning over the ball with impunity. Saints conceded a lot of penalties, some of which were easily avoidable especially the one that led to the Liebenburg score.

Tigers really should have put the game to bed more emphatically during the period where Saints were down to 13.

The replay initially looked like it backed Dickson but there was no knock on. It was just a poor decision to blow the whistle when he could have let him jot down the ball and then checked. Its just another in a long line of issues with him.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 19 Nov 2023, 8:09 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Why on earth didn't the ref let that play out?  That would have been a Saints try!

The replay initially looked like it backed Dickson but there was no knock on. It was just a poor decision to blow the whistle when he could have let him jot down the ball and then checked. Its just another in a long line of issues with him.

Hits his hand as it bounced through his leg. It was on the last angle. The initial bit when it bobbled in front of him was inconclusive.

The Tigers cover defence also stops because of the whistle so there's no certainty he puts it down. To be fair to Dickson on first viewing it did look like he knocked it on.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 19 Nov 2023, 8:16 am

king_carlos wrote:
BigGee wrote:
king_carlos wrote:The guy that caught my eye most was Pollock though. Only 18-years-old and he didn't look out of place in a midlands derby against Wiese, Reffell and Liebenberg. He seems a hell of an athlete. Rapid for a back row and strong in contact. He just seemed to keep popping up exactly where he was needed in attack and defence. Definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on.

I'm expecting the England A vs Portugal A fixture to be used to tie a few players in that sort of scenario.

I'd seen Pollock at U18s but it's difficult to read to much there I think. Whereas at U20s teammates and opponents are all more filled out. That's the first I'd seen of him at senior level and he just kept impressing me. Repeatedly throughout the 30 minutes I watched I found myself thinking, "who's that absolute nuisance in that ruck", then a kid wearing 20 would roll out. He just kept being in the right place, doing good stuff and didn't look out of place physically considering he's 18. He gave me Jack Clifford vibes but seems to have more talent for hitting in the tackle.

He looks like he's got plenty of pace and reads the game well. He does need to fill out a bit but he's definitely one to be keeping an eye on.

I think you're spot on re the A team game Vs Portugal. I'm fully expecting us to cap Fin Smith in that one and perhaps add another cap to Coles with the SRU apparently interested in taking him up to Scotland with a view to converting him to SQ before the next world cup. Gus Warr or Nye Thomas from Sale perhaps. Depending on how desperate we are at tighthead would help Tigers to have Hurd in there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 8:38 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Why on earth didn't the ref let that play out? That would have been a Saints try!

Hits his hand as it bounced through his leg. It was on the last angle. The initial bit when it bobbled in front of him was inconclusive.

The Tigers cover defence also stops because of the whistle so there's no certainty he puts it down. To be fair to Dickson on first viewing it did look like he knocked it on.

Wasn't inconclusive at all. Would have been a try bit for Dicksons trigger happy reaction.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 3:31 pm

Exeter scrum looking really strong again. Painter and Tuima scrumming together on that side must be a nightmare. But a red would sort things for glaws...

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 3:34 pm

Rubbish yellow - not on the ball carrier and both players involved in the contact were upright - rugby incident for me ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 3:38 pm

Now Tempest is letting players play the ball on the ground ... he's losing the plot a bit

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 3:45 pm

Great by Slade. Thw type of play we always hope for from him and rarely get.

No 7&1/2

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Nov 2023, 3:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Exeter scrum looking really strong again. Painter and Tuima scrumming together on that side must be a nightmare. But a red would sort things for glaws...

Just watching Painter closely....he's a monster in the scrum but he really doesn't offer much st all around the pitch...almost a passenger. .

Can you do that role at international level or do you need to offer more.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:23 pm

Why would Chiefs take that down - Tempest is doing them no favours at the moment

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:27 pm

Exeter have had a lot of control and created little. You have say Glaws just about deserve the lead. Which they don't get due to the duff kick.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:31 pm

Not sure - Tempest has made some really bad calls to Exeter's detriment ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:33 pm

I find him am extremely good ref. But I am comparing him to Dickson.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I find him am extremely good ref. But I am comparing him to Dickson.

Well that's a very low bar Very Happy

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:38 pm

Glaws miles offside at that ruck - but he pings Chiefs for questioning it - maybe get it right in the first place as it was blatant ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:42 pm

Clements had a nice game. You just wonder how much the loss of Hodge has hampered a young Chiefs side in development.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:44 pm

Not as much as Tempest has hampered them ... he's been woeful

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:52 pm

Little lucky to take it in the end but good come back.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:55 pm

Good character to take it despite Tempest almost handing it to Glaws with some poor calls

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 19 Nov 2023, 4:58 pm

Was a pretty enjoyable watch. Once Exe blocked that clearance kick, I had a feeling they had another chance in them.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 19 Nov 2023, 6:19 pm

Monye racially abused after the match today.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next