The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

+26
EWT Spoons
mountain man
geoff999rugby
Big
Pete330v2
Duty281
carpet baboon
Heaf
tigertattie
TAFKA The Oracle
Collapse2005
No 7&1/2
TJ
Heuer27
BigGee
Boston Exile
RDW
EST
lostinwales
jimbopip
sensisball
Tramptastic
Mcsweens
Hazel Sapling
NeilyBroon
bsando
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by bsando Wed 07 Feb 2024, 7:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland vs France
Auld Alliance Trophy


Saturday 10th February 2024
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Kick-off: 2:15pm
Referee: Nic Berry (Australia)


TV Coverage: Live on BBC (UK) and Virgin Media (ROI)


Teams


Scotland


Turner, Schoeman, Fagerson, Cummings, Gilchrist, Fagerson, Darge, Dempsey; White, Russell; VDM, Tuipulotu, Jones, Steyn, Rowe


Replacements: Ashman, Hepburn, Millar-Mills, Skinner, Christie, Horne, Healy, Redpath


France: 
15 Thomas Ramos; 14 Damian Penaud, 13 Gael Fickou, 12 Jonathan Danty, 11 Louis Bielle-Biarrey; 10 Matthieu Jalibert, 9 Maxime Lucu; 1 Cyril Baille, 2 Peato Mauvaka, 3 Uini Antonio, 4 Cameron Woki, 5 Paul Gabrillagues, 6 Francois Cros, 7 Charles Ollivon, 8 Gregory Alldritt (capt).
Replacements: 16 Julien Marchand, 17 Sebastien Taofifenua, 18 Dorian Aldegheri, 19 Posolo Tuilagi, 20 Alexandre Roumat, 21 Paul Boudehent, 22 Nolann Le Garrec, 23 Yoram Moefana.


Last edited by bsando on Thu 08 Feb 2024, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Posts : 4375
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down


Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heuer27 Sat 10 Feb 2024, 11:59 pm

Do you think Scotland went into their shell because of the way the game unfolded last week?
Terrified that if they opened up on a talented French team they would cut us apart like Wales did. It certainly seemed that way and they were definitely sticking to team orders today.
The French boys were out on their feet halfway through the second half and it didn’t really improve when they brought on the subs. Townsend should have pulled the pin then and really went after the French because I think they would have collapsed under a fast tempo.
It was an incredibly strange decision to leave our team relatively unchanged for the whole match and not emptying the bench earlier to make some sort of impact.

Heuer27

Posts : 464
Join date : 2013-01-26

doctor_grey, bsando and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by bsando Sun 11 Feb 2024, 9:47 am

Away from the on field drama, many fans have been complaining about the lack of available tickets to the match vs how many French supporters had tickets. Bit of a strange one. From watching it on TV France made all the noise throughout the match. Very strange home atmosphere.

bsando

Posts : 4375
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by TJ Sun 11 Feb 2024, 10:13 am

Positives the morning after?

Scotland played well and more importantly stopped France. I thought Dancer was superb - a real masterclass
Forwards got us parity - no turnovers tho but no breakdown penalties either - good discipline. Patterson looked good and nice attacking patterns from the backs. french defense was very good but we threw everything at them

It was not getting points at the end of the first half that cost us. You don't get many chances against France. You have to take them

TJ

Posts : 8517
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by jimbopip Sun 11 Feb 2024, 11:52 am

On a very positive note...

we should have; Blarehorn, ADHD Kid, Seaman, Rowe, Speedy McReedy and Banjo Patterson all available for the Engurland match.
We can have hours and hours of meaningless drivel arguing who should be the starting back three. Just as long as no-one mentions a 6/2 split.

jimbopip

Posts : 7129
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Mcsweens Sun 11 Feb 2024, 12:05 pm

Positives:

Line out was very very good.

Finn captained very well.

Young HP was a saucy option at Full back.

Mcsweens

Posts : 265
Join date : 2020-08-11

bsando, NeilyBroon and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by bsando Sun 11 Feb 2024, 1:29 pm

Negatives:

*Deep intake of breath*

bsando

Posts : 4375
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Sun 11 Feb 2024, 1:38 pm

Engurland

Oh dear.

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 11 Feb 2024, 1:58 pm

Mcsweens wrote:Positives:

Line out was very very good.

Finn captained very well.

Young HP was a saucy option at Full back.

Paterson was good. Finn Russell was good for the most part especially how he won the ball back in the dying minutes. However, that game was there for the taking. Scotland at key moments lacked urgency and ambition and leadership including Russel are accountable for that.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EST Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:01 pm

The thing i'm struggling with the wider coverage is that there seems to be the view that their isn't conclusive proof, from all the stills i've seen and watching it live, there absolutely is conclusive proof. Unless we have all gone collectively mad, it's impossible for the ball to be on anything other than the ground.

EST

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:05 pm

I think it was highly likely it was a try but disagree there was proof.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EST Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:11 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:I think it was highly likely it was a try but disagree there was proof.

Needless to say I disagree, I'm not going to regurgitate all the stills on twitter, but they show a ball on the ground. It's not possible for it to be anywhere else.

EST

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:12 pm

It all came down to wording by Berry. Seeing as he said in his opinion it was held up so no try, the TMO has to have conclusive proof to overturn decision.
Seeing as there wasn't a clear shot of ball touching ground the TMO couldn't overturn onfield decision. if Berry had said onfield try, TMO would definitely given it.

Also, the pictures showed ball rolling from on boot to what everyone is assuming is the ground. However, did said rolling of ball off boot occur before or after Berry blew whistle? That also has a bearing as if he saw it held up by dint of being on a boot etc then blew then regardless of whether it actually hit ground is a moot point.

Anyway.

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:19 pm

EST wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:I think it was highly likely it was a try but disagree there was proof.

Needless to say I disagree, I'm not going to regurgitate all the stills on twitter, but they show a ball on the ground.  It's not possible for it to be anywhere else.


You are right to feel hard done by but I dont think the TMO was wrong to say there was no proof. Scotland should never have left that game to the dying minutes anyway. It is a shame because they were the better side IMO and I was rooting for them.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EST Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:22 pm

mountain man wrote:It all came down to wording by Berry. Seeing as he said in his opinion it was held up so no try, the TMO has to have conclusive proof to overturn decision.
Seeing as there wasn't a clear shot of ball touching ground the TMO couldn't overturn onfield decision. if Berry had said onfield try, TMO would definitely given it.

Also, the pictures showed ball rolling from on boot to what everyone is assuming is the ground. However, did said rolling of ball off boot occur before or after Berry blew whistle? That also has a bearing as if he saw it held up by dint of being on a boot etc then blew then regardless of whether it actually hit ground is a moot point.

Anyway.

Seriously, what else could it be? Everybody is assuming it's the ground, because that's where the ground is. Tuilagi's left arm is away from ball, the ball is next to Skinners body on the ground.

EST

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:28 pm

But crucially no conclusive evidence. If there was then try would have been awarded .


However was that before or after whistle blown and Berry says held up?

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 11 Feb 2024, 2:36 pm

The ball was on the ground BUT and its a big BUT Berry made a hasty ill judged call
which put the TMO is an impossible position.

One of many poor decision by Berry in the match - the worst refed match in the 6N so far.

geoff999rugby

Posts : 5567
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Tramptastic Sun 11 Feb 2024, 4:45 pm

bsando wrote:Away from the on field drama, many fans have been complaining about the lack of available tickets to the match vs how many French supporters had tickets. Bit of a strange one. From watching it on TV France made all the noise throughout the match. Very strange home atmosphere.

Price of the tickets. £150 a pop for the rafters...

Tramptastic

Posts : 1244
Join date : 2012-10-19
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by RDW Sun 11 Feb 2024, 8:19 pm

mountain man wrote:It all came down to wording by Berry. Seeing as he said in his opinion it was held up so no try, the TMO has to have conclusive proof to overturn decision.
Seeing as there wasn't a clear shot of ball touching ground the TMO couldn't overturn onfield decision. if Berry had said onfield try, TMO would definitely given it.

Also, the pictures showed ball rolling from on boot to what everyone is assuming is the ground. However, did said rolling of ball off boot occur before or after Berry blew whistle? That also has a bearing as if he saw it held up by dint of being on a boot etc then blew then regardless of whether it actually hit ground is a moot point.

Anyway.

Being pedantic here but when was.it ever a requirement that a TMO has to physically see the ball touch the ground? Many a TMO decision has been given where that's not the case, whether because there is a pile of bodies, leg in the way etc. but it is obvious the ball has touched the ground.

I get in this case it needed a degree of judgement, but I disagree that the TMO needs to actually see the ball touch the turf.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32795
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Mon 12 Feb 2024, 8:58 am

Because onfield decision was held up, no try. So to reverse that decision there has to be conclusive proof of ball on ground and although it looks like it must have been there wasn't a clear picture of ball in touch with grass.

If I were a Scotland supporter I'd be fuming btw.

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 12 Feb 2024, 9:02 am

Just on a previous point, DVDM wasn’t offside.  No ruck was formed, therefore no offside line.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 9:50 am

RDW wrote:
mountain man wrote:It all came down to wording by Berry. Seeing as he said in his opinion it was held up so no try, the TMO has to have conclusive proof to overturn decision.
Seeing as there wasn't a clear shot of ball touching ground the TMO couldn't overturn onfield decision. if Berry had said onfield try, TMO would definitely given it.

Also, the pictures showed ball rolling from on boot to what everyone is assuming is the ground. However, did said rolling of ball off boot occur before or after Berry blew whistle? That also has a bearing as if he saw it held up by dint of being on a boot etc then blew then regardless of whether it actually hit ground is a moot point.

Anyway.

Being pedantic here but when was.it ever a requirement that a TMO has to physically see the ball touch the ground? Many a TMO decision has been given where that's not the case, whether because there is a pile of bodies, leg in the way etc. but it is obvious the ball has touched the ground.

I get in this case it needed a degree of judgement, but I disagree that the TMO needs to actually see the ball touch the turf.

How can you be sure there isn't a hand or a boot under the ball if you cant see it touch the ground?

The ref was right in front of it, perhaps he should have made a better effort to see if it was grounded or not because he more than anyone will have the best views and angles to make a call.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 9:51 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Just on a previous point, DVDM wasn’t offside.  No ruck was formed, therefore no offside line.

I thought that was the case too myself.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 9:53 am

Tramptastic wrote:
bsando wrote:Away from the on field drama, many fans have been complaining about the lack of available tickets to the match vs how many French supporters had tickets. Bit of a strange one. From watching it on TV France made all the noise throughout the match. Very strange home atmosphere.

Price of the tickets. £150 a pop for the rafters...

Thats just outrageous. I love the six nations and used to go every year but it has become so corporate.

Normal fans can affort it anymore nor could they probably get a ticket if they could anyway.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by bsando Mon 12 Feb 2024, 10:07 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:
bsando wrote:Away from the on field drama, many fans have been complaining about the lack of available tickets to the match vs how many French supporters had tickets. Bit of a strange one. From watching it on TV France made all the noise throughout the match. Very strange home atmosphere.

Price of the tickets. £150 a pop for the rafters...

Thats just outrageous. I love the six nations and used to go every year but it has become so corporate.

Normal fans can affort it anymore nor could they probably get a ticket if they could anyway.
That’s mad. I remember buying two tickets for sco vs Eng, east stand 2012 6N for £80 a pop off Bru.

bsando

Posts : 4375
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Big Mon 12 Feb 2024, 10:28 am

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Ground10

I completely sympathise with those who think Scotland should have closed out the game with earlier opportunities. But, if this isn't a shot of a ball touching the ground, I don't know what is. And it's much more obviously grounded when watched in slow motion, as the TMO did multiple times from this angle. I also think refs and TMOs do a thankless task that is difficult, and I don't think the TMO should be demonised, we're all human and make mistakes. But this was a mistake, and it did directly decided the outcome of the game - so I do feel pretty sorry for the Scotland team that they lost in this way.

Big

Posts : 792
Join date : 2011-08-18
Age : 42
Location : Durham

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Mon 12 Feb 2024, 10:48 am

That is pointing to a Scotland players leg....

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Big Mon 12 Feb 2024, 10:55 am

mountain man wrote:That is pointing to a Scotland players leg....

What, with a pointy end and the beginning of the word 'GILBERT' written on it?? That must be a very interesting leg that player has.

Big

Posts : 792
Join date : 2011-08-18
Age : 42
Location : Durham

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 12 Feb 2024, 10:59 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Just on a previous point, DVDM wasn’t offside.  No ruck was formed, therefore no offside line.

If there is any doubt, here is the ruling from World Rugby on what is offside at a tackle -

World Rugby wrote:Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/14/?highlight=tackle

Given no players were on their feet & over the ball then Duhan wasn't offside.

Appreciate this isn't the biggest talking point of the day, but Ugo Moyne (on the bbc rugby daily pod) is trying to suggest Duhan should have received a yellow card for it and as such we should be totally cool with the try not being awarded

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Mon 12 Feb 2024, 11:01 am

Big wrote:
mountain man wrote:That is pointing to a Scotland players leg....

What, with a pointy end and the beginning of the word 'GILBERT' written on it??  That must be a very interesting leg that player has.

Easy tiger, I'm joking as label on a leg. Anyway, was that view TMO had during match?

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Big Mon 12 Feb 2024, 11:31 am

mountain man wrote:
Big wrote:
mountain man wrote:That is pointing to a Scotland players leg....

What, with a pointy end and the beginning of the word 'GILBERT' written on it??  That must be a very interesting leg that player has.

Easy tiger, I'm joking as label on a leg. Anyway, was that view TMO had during match?

It was meant as a jokey reply - the problem with text is you lose the laughter, sorry! Yes, that was the view the TMO had. Over a few frames you see the pointey end come down and the ball squashed down. Not sure if he just didn't see it, or saw it and still wasn't convinced.

Big

Posts : 792
Join date : 2011-08-18
Age : 42
Location : Durham

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heaf Mon 12 Feb 2024, 11:58 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Just on a previous point, DVDM wasn’t offside.  No ruck was formed, therefore no offside line.

If there is any doubt, here is the ruling from World Rugby on what is offside at a tackle -

World Rugby wrote:Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/14/?highlight=tackle

Given no players were on their feet & over the ball then Duhan wasn't offside.

Appreciate this isn't the biggest talking point of the day, but Ugo Moyne (on the bbc rugby daily pod) is trying to suggest Duhan should have received a yellow card for it and as such we should be totally cool with the try not being awarded

First of all I think Scotland scored at the end.

However I'm not sure Duhan wasn't offside as when the French player arrived at the tackle to pick the ball up I believe that created the offside lines?

Heaf

Posts : 6750
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Another planet

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 12 Feb 2024, 12:08 pm

The French player arrives and picks up the ball, it's not a ruck it's just a lad with the ball in his hands at that point.  As per the rule I posted, he wasn't over the ball and the ball wasn't on the ground, therefore still no offside line.

If you look at the link I posted, there's a wee graphic which shows where offside lines would occur had a player been over the ball, but as there was no one over it and the French player picked it up and moved it from the tackle area it's open play

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heaf Mon 12 Feb 2024, 12:55 pm

Hmm not sure - how does he pick it up if he's not over it? Yet another rugby laws grey area maybe?

Heaf

Posts : 6750
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Another planet

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:03 pm

It was also high even if you don't think it was offside.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 31199
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heaf Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:10 pm

I didn't think it was high as there was no contact with the neck - just being over the shoulder is not deemed high now ...

Heaf

Posts : 6750
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Another planet

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:13 pm

The sage that is Nigel Owens said not high, as not targeting the neck.

Another new directive to refs.

Agree it would have been deemed high not that long ago.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15024
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:15 pm

Heaf wrote:I didn't think it was high as there was no contact with the neck - just being over the shoulder is not deemed high now ...

There was neck contact. You see those given all the time. Sometimes focuses the mind too much when it's that close to the line tho!

No 7&1/2

Posts : 31199
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:16 pm

BigGee wrote:The sage that is Nigel Owens said not high, as not targeting the neck.

Another new directive to refs.

Agree it would have been deemed high not that long ago.

Seat belt tackles are not a foul then as none target the neck? Not how the law is written and I'm fairly certain you will see a lot of examples of that being a foul the rest of the season.

Also it wasn't even a seat belt tackle as it started above the shoulder line.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 31199
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:25 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
BigGee wrote:The sage that is Nigel Owens said not high, as not targeting the neck.

Another new directive to refs.

Agree it would have been deemed high not that long ago.

Seat belt tackles are not a foul then as none target the neck? Not how the law is written and I'm fairly certain you will see a lot of examples of that being a foul the rest of the season.

Also it wasn't even a seat belt tackle as it started above the shoulder line.


Forgive me on this one 7&1/2

But I'll go with Nigel's opinion over yours on this.

It was fairly clear to the ref and TMO in the match and yet was not given, suggesting Nigel was correct.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15024
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by dummy_half Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:33 pm

Re Scotland's 'try' at the end - from what I've seen, the ball was originally placed on a tackler's leg, so was well off the ground. Second movement was the ball moving back and downwards. I very strongly suspect it was grounded briefly before being lifted by another defender, but the video pictures do not give conclusive proof of this.

So summary:
In fact, the wrong decision, in that the ball was grounded and a try should have been awarded.
By the processes in place: correct decision, no conclusive evidence to change the ref's original call.

dummy_half

Posts : 6298
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 52
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:35 pm

BigGee wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
BigGee wrote:The sage that is Nigel Owens said not high, as not targeting the neck.

Another new directive to refs.

Agree it would have been deemed high not that long ago.

Seat belt tackles are not a foul then as none target the neck? Not how the law is written and I'm fairly certain you will see a lot of examples of that being a foul the rest of the season.

Also it wasn't even a seat belt tackle as it started above the shoulder line.


Forgive me on this one 7&1/2

But I'll go with Nigel's opinion over yours on this.

It was fairly clear to the ref and TMO in the match and yet was not given, suggesting Nigel was correct.

No problem. He's wrong on this though and you probably know deep down the next time you see a tackle slip up let alone start off that high its going to be a high tackle.

BTW Owens said it was offside so....

No 7&1/2

Posts : 31199
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:39 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Just on a previous point, DVDM wasn’t offside.  No ruck was formed, therefore no offside line.

If there is any doubt, here is the ruling from World Rugby on what is offside at a tackle -

World Rugby wrote:Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/14/?highlight=tackle

Given no players were on their feet & over the ball then Duhan wasn't offside.

Appreciate this isn't the biggest talking point of the day, but Ugo Moyne (on the bbc rugby daily pod) is trying to suggest Duhan should have received a yellow card for it and as such we should be totally cool with the try not being awarded

Monye didnt really put it like that. He was very vocal in his opinion that it should have been a try.

Collapse2005

Posts : 7008
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:39 pm

Heaf wrote:Hmm not sure - how does he pick it up if he's not over it?  Yet another rugby laws grey area maybe?

No, it's actually fairly clear, I'm just making a terrible job of explaining it. I would recommend looking at the link I sent, if I knew how to post a picture here, then I would, to show the graphic from World Rugby's site as it would probably clear all this up.

He has to form a ruck to create an offside line, all he's done in this instance is pick up a loose ball. He if left the ball and formed a ruck, for a separate player to come in, and duhan was ahead of the player on the ground (which he was), then yes absolutely he would have been offside. However there was no ruck, therefore no offside line, therefore Duhan was onside.

To be clear I'm not sure Duhan was that aware of what was happening and it was potentially more fluke than anything that he was able to be involved in play from where he was, but he was fine to do what he did.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 12 Feb 2024, 1:43 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Just on a previous point, DVDM wasn’t offside.  No ruck was formed, therefore no offside line.

If there is any doubt, here is the ruling from World Rugby on what is offside at a tackle -

World Rugby wrote:Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/14/?highlight=tackle

Given no players were on their feet & over the ball then Duhan wasn't offside.

Appreciate this isn't the biggest talking point of the day, but Ugo Moyne (on the bbc rugby daily pod) is trying to suggest Duhan should have received a yellow card for it and as such we should be totally cool with the try not being awarded

Monye didnt really put it like that. He was very vocal in his opinion that it should have been a try.

You're right he did say it should have been a try, but he then went on to say that whilst we are aggrieved with that decision, we got away with decisions going for us, such as Duhan being offside and what he suggested should be a yellow card and pen try. Which is incorrect.

What would be correct to mention however is that Tuilagi punched a player and it wasn't picked up, or the knock on for the French try. I'm only highlighting these because he incorrectly pointed to a decision that rightly went in our favour

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heaf Mon 12 Feb 2024, 2:43 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
Heaf wrote:Hmm not sure - how does he pick it up if he's not over it?  Yet another rugby laws grey area maybe?

No, it's actually fairly clear, I'm just making a terrible job of explaining it.  I would recommend looking at the link I sent, if I knew how to post a picture here, then I would, to show the graphic from World Rugby's site as it would probably clear all this up.

He has to form a ruck to create an offside line, all he's done in this instance is pick up a loose ball.  He if left the ball and formed a ruck, for a separate player to come in, and duhan was ahead of the player on the ground (which he was), then yes absolutely he would have been offside.  However there was no ruck, therefore no offside line, therefore Duhan was onside.

To be clear I'm not sure Duhan was that aware of what was happening and it was potentially more fluke than anything that he was able to be involved in play from where he was, but he was fine to do what he did.

Not trying to be awkward just really trying to understand the laws which are as usual ambiguous. You don't need a ruck now for offside lines to be created, just a tackle, the ball on the ground and a player from either side over it. I guess the grey area is what does 'over it' mean. For me though I suspect if a Scotland player had come from directly behind the French player that picked the ball up and grabbed him nobody would have been surprised if he'd been pinged. I'm pretty sure there's also something about approaching the tackle area (which I believe is normally interpreted as within 1m of the tackle) from your own side?

7.5 says Nige said it was offside - I didn't hear that bit though tbh.

Heaf

Posts : 6750
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Another planet

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heaf Mon 12 Feb 2024, 2:45 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
BigGee wrote:The sage that is Nigel Owens said not high, as not targeting the neck.

Another new directive to refs.

Agree it would have been deemed high not that long ago.

Seat belt tackles are not a foul then as none target the neck? Not how the law is written and I'm fairly certain you will see a lot of examples of that being a foul the rest of the season.

Also it wasn't even a seat belt tackle as it started above the shoulder line.

Nige was very clear that the refs had been given a directive that unless the neck was targeted it wasn't a high tackle any more.

Heaf

Posts : 6750
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Another planet

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by mountain man Mon 12 Feb 2024, 2:50 pm

Regarding tackle, I think any other ref gives that as a seat belt tackle. Over shoulder, seat belt. I didn't think it actually had to be around neck and I've definitely seen "seat belt" tackles which were not by neck penalised.
As for Owens, hmm good ref but he's not the be all and end all. Far too many take whatever he says as gospel.

mountain man

Posts : 2411
Join date : 2021-03-09

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Heaf Mon 12 Feb 2024, 2:53 pm

I agree based on what we've seen up until recently that tackle would have been pinged for sure - it's just that Nige was saying there had been a new directive issued, and to be fair now I think about it I have seen some tackles recently that I thought should have been pinged that weren't, before I'd heard about this apparent new directive.

Heaf

Posts : 6750
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Another planet

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 12 Feb 2024, 3:04 pm

Heaf wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
Heaf wrote:Hmm not sure - how does he pick it up if he's not over it?  Yet another rugby laws grey area maybe?

No, it's actually fairly clear, I'm just making a terrible job of explaining it.  I would recommend looking at the link I sent, if I knew how to post a picture here, then I would, to show the graphic from World Rugby's site as it would probably clear all this up.

He has to form a ruck to create an offside line, all he's done in this instance is pick up a loose ball.  He if left the ball and formed a ruck, for a separate player to come in, and duhan was ahead of the player on the ground (which he was), then yes absolutely he would have been offside.  However there was no ruck, therefore no offside line, therefore Duhan was onside.

To be clear I'm not sure Duhan was that aware of what was happening and it was potentially more fluke than anything that he was able to be involved in play from where he was, but he was fine to do what he did.

Not trying to be awkward just really trying to understand the laws which are as usual ambiguous.  You don't need a ruck now for offside lines to be created, just a tackle, the ball on the ground and a player from either side over it.  I guess the grey area is what does 'over it' mean.  For me though I suspect if a Scotland player had come from directly behind the French player that picked the ball up and grabbed him nobody would have been surprised if he'd been pinged.  I'm pretty sure there's also something about approaching the tackle area (which I believe is normally interpreted as within 1m of the tackle) from your own side?

7.5 says Nige said it was offside - I didn't hear that bit though tbh.

No worries pal, I think I've worked out how to post a pictureScotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Tackle11

This is what World rugby class as over the ball, the French player was never 'over' the ball, purely beside it picking it up

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 12 Feb 2024, 3:11 pm

Heaf wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
BigGee wrote:The sage that is Nigel Owens said not high, as not targeting the neck.

Another new directive to refs.

Agree it would have been deemed high not that long ago.

Seat belt tackles are not a foul then as none target the neck? Not how the law is written and I'm fairly certain you will see a lot of examples of that being a foul the rest of the season.

Also it wasn't even a seat belt tackle as it started above the shoulder line.

Nige was very clear that the refs had been given a directive that unless the neck was targeted it wasn't a high tackle any more.

Guess we won't see any pens for seatbelts then...

No 7&1/2

Posts : 31199
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs France | Auld Alliance Trophy

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum