The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've changed my mind.

+9
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cari
maestegmafia
HammerofThunor
Shifty
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
red_stag
Notch
Portnoy
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I've changed my mind. - Page 2 Empty I've changed my mind.

Post by Portnoy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

I suggested that my post https://www.606v2.com/t8672-the-st-george-s-flag had run its course.

But maybe I was wrong. Not because it's untrue but because it would have died out anyway in the fulfilment of time. It became controversial. But was still very active.

But I reckon that I was wrong to suggest that it should be pulled.

I realise that I'm not the most popular or inclusive poster on v2 (or v1 for that matter) but it just seems silly to lock a debate just because it's possible.

But controversy is surely better than sycophancy isn't it

So unlock the article and let's hope it dies of natural causes soon.

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

I've changed my mind. - Page 2 Empty Re: I've changed my mind.

Post by Portnoy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 8:47 pm

Exeter is a proper club?

I never knew that As. I thought they had a sugar daddy. My sincerest apologies.

How many other clubs exist in the top leagues?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:04 pm

Cari wrote:
Portnoy wrote:

You consider me disruptive (which is mostly the reason I stay out of the pub). But I'm not really.

Don't put words into my mouth and blame me for you choosing to stay away from the pub. I don't consider you generally disruptive. I ignore most of your threads only because of the provocative nature of them. I don't care who posts on them. When you're in the pub it doesn't bother me because you seem to be able to have a civilised conversation with people. If you'd been in the pub at all you'd notice that I'm hardly there anyway and I don't run it anymore.

Unfortunately Cari that is exactly what you accused me of on v1 when I expressed my discomfort about being in Belfast in 1974.

And I know that you don't post much in the v2 pub as I stick my nose in quite regularly.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:09 pm

P, let's leave v1 behind, eh?

Yes, Exe is a good old fashioned club, albeit run effectively by a very canny business man who also happens to have a significant membership stake. The goal is to take the club public by listing just less than half on an exchange, so that the members retain control, while the club secures additional funding. Why not plan a trip down to Sandy Park for our tussle this season? It would be my pleasure to host you OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:10 pm

Hello
Very Happy
I sense a little tension here.
Its nearly the weekend so lets all chill out and the first round is on me (by me I mean Hobo)
cider

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:P, let's leave v1 behind, eh?

That is exactly right. V2 is a new start for everyone, any old issues from old 606 are to be left on that forum and not to be carried over here if at all possible. That applies to everyone. Thank you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

Should we automatically exclude the Irish provinces (or the Welsh regions) from qualifying as a proper club because they are centrally funded? On that basis, are there any true 'clubs' left in the SH?

Ha, ha, keep up Y I Man, we moved it on over an hour ago!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:17 pm

Gloriously, yes. I'm proud to say I support a province not a club.

A province is more like an international side in theory and a club side in practice.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Should we automatically exclude the Irish provinces (or the Welsh regions) from qualifying as a proper club because they are centrally funded? On that basis, are there any true 'clubs' left in the SH?

Ha, ha, keep up Y I Man, we moved it on over an hour ago!! Wink

There's loads of proper clubs As, they just all exist below provincial level, and are amateur. NZ's provinces have always been run by reps from those clubs. And those provinces still elect the NZRU board. Which pays TV money to the regions, who funnel money back to the provinces ... Anyone else getting dizzy?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

KiwiRD, yes, sorry, I knew that, but Portnoy is specifically referring to the top level, I believe, so S15 teams, otherwise, there are plenty of Eng, Scot, Welsh, Irish, Fre, Aus, SA, Kiwi, etc., teams that would qualify OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

Well this is something. I have been out all day and just get in to read this very strange dialogue.

I enjoy talking sports with my friends, family and people in the office. When we go 'off-topic' to other things, we simply do. It is a good thing for conversations to evolve to discuss more diverse things with people we are already comfortable with. And not have to go to the next house, pub or place and discuss with people we don't know.

To me, the two strings, the Flag and the Anthem are perfect examples of this. Dialogue with people with whom we already converse and the subject moves to wherever it goes. They had started on-topic. Therefore, it would be normal and natural to range over other topics with this same group here. As long as people show the respect to each other and are careful about crossing the line. Isn't that normal? Without having to go over to other parts of the web site where we might not be familiar with the people?

I would leave these things open until they run their course. Seems vaguely undemocratic to me to close them because they range off.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:51 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I would leave these things open until they run their course. Seems vaguely undemocratic to me to close them because they range off.

Already been said once but I'll put it in again. It wasn't locked because it went off topic. It got to point where it was either going to be wound up or moved to the off-topic area of the forum. Several of us said to wind it up so kiwi closed it. It's still there to read if anyone wants to

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:45 am

Hammer,
I hadn't read everything. And a huge amount was posted over the course of Thursday which I haven't read since I was unavailable for the day. So, if you felt it was done up or to be moved, thats fine. Probably had run it course, anyway. Still want to get through those last posts, though.

Thanks for explaining, amigo..

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 7:00 am

Dal dy dir.

You know the smell of victory when it happens Whistle
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 7:08 am

doctor_grey, not a problem. I just thought it would be easier to put it in again to save you the trouble. I'm sure if we asked the moderators to unlock it and move it off-topic they would.

Welshjohn, do you?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

doctor_grey wrote:Well this is something. I have been out all day and just get in to read this very strange dialogue.

I enjoy talking sports with my friends, family and people in the office. When we go 'off-topic' to other things, we simply do. It is a good thing for conversations to evolve to discuss more diverse things with people we are already comfortable with. And not have to go to the next house, pub or place and discuss with people we don't know.

To me, the two strings, the Flag and the Anthem are perfect examples of this. Dialogue with people with whom we already converse and the subject moves to wherever it goes. They had started on-topic. Therefore, it would be normal and natural to range over other topics with this same group here. As long as people show the respect to each other and are careful about crossing the line. Isn't that normal? Without having to go over to other parts of the web site where we might not be familiar with the people?

I would leave these things open until they run their course. Seems vaguely undemocratic to me to close them because they range off.

+1

I think it would be pretty difficult to have the debate we had on the flag and anthem topic and others on other parts of the forum. The fact that most people are sensible in here allows us to debate potentially controversial topics without things getting out of hand.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2