The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

+22
cp10
bluestonevedder
21st Century Schizoid Man
flyhalffactory
Cryptoyourisan
highland_scot
George Carlin
justified sinner
Majestic83
LondonTiger
nickj
Scot Abroad
funnyExiledScot
RDW
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Manky-Flanker
Imperialbigdave
Captain_Sensible
KickAndChase
26 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread. - Page 6 Empty Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

Post by KickAndChase Thu 03 May 2012, 10:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Despite the anger it invites from many Scottish posters (more as a place to vent than the cause) I miss the standard Scotland thread. With Edinburgh's success in the Heineken Cup and what looks like Glasgow's in the RABO we have two semi finals under our belt in club rugby. Can the players finally overcome the friction with their coaching team and display this on the pitch? Who would be your picks for the summer tour squad and match day 22s? Do you think we will win a match this year?

No news on squad size yet (I believe) but we can speculate. I do think we will beat one of Fiji & Samoa and also the Waratahs, but that's it. Anyone able to instill that misguided Scottish faith back into me??? kiss

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread. - Page 6 Empty Re: Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 15 May 2012, 9:32 am

Thats what I mean As, I was implying that Barclay will almost certainly play 8 in the absence of Dents. I would wait to see how Beattie gets on for the Baa Baas personally, but if the squad is getting announced tomorrow we won't get to see him in action in a test match enviroment.

Perhaps best to let him settle in France and call on him in November. Hogg at 8? I'm not convinced and Stroks hasn't been outstanding for Glaws. Wilson is a possibility.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread. - Page 6 Empty Re: Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2012, 10:30 am

Lots of anger on this thread chaps.

For what it's worth:

1. This is Robinson's chance to test centre combinations. Surely Scott Johnson will get a say in this.

I have a sinking feeling that either Dunbar or Scott won't make it, whereas of course, they both should. That said, let's remember what we'er dealing with - young lads. Scott looked completely outclassed in his Heineken semi if I'm being honest and Dunbar has been caught out defensively a number of times.

To most coaches, this would mean that the youngsters need more game time but to AR it will mean slipping on the old comfortable shoes of Schlong or Morrison. I think that Schlong will travel, with the justification that Scotland need his carrying (he was one of the top carriers statistically in the 6N).

2. Surely Robinson won't risk getting the Welsh Problem wrong a second time and look like an even bigger horse's petoot? Steven S should not travel anywhere until the WRU has exhausted every conceivable grounds for appeal if indeed the IRU decide that a young man's desire to play international rugby is more important than who gave him pocket money in his early teens.

3. I think we're being harsh on Harley. This is very much his first season and he took the early season Glasgow captaincy in his stride. Nobody deserves to tour more than him in the absence of Kelly Brows. His stock in trade as a blindside is defence and procurement of penalties. He's very good at the first and perfectly fair at the second. The carrying will come as he works with his loose forward colleagues in combination more.

4. Barclay will travel as 8, I have no doubt. Beattie has not done enough.

5. Scott and Dunbar should alternate at 12 - we have more than enough 13s at present - particularly if you include Bennett who has grown in Clermont's youth team which has reached the age grade Top 14 final now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 10:33 am

George Carlin wrote:

I have a sinking feeling that either Dunbar or Scott won't make it, whereas of course, they both should. That said, let's remember what we'er dealing with - young lads. Scott looked completely outclassed in his Heineken semi if I'm being honest and Dunbar has been caught out defensively a number of times.

Although I agree with your general point that they are young lads, I entirely agree with that point. I thought Scott was one of our stand out players in the semi final and really came of age. Yes he had a silly knock on, but so did everyone.

And lets be honest - if ever there was a time to give youth a chance this tour would be it!

They aren't small boys too - Scott is a physical player and Dunbar probably even more so!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2012, 10:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Although I agree with your general point that they are young lads, I entirely disagree with that point. I thought Scott was one of our stand out players in the semi final and really came of age. Yes he had a silly knock on, but so did everyone.

And lets be honest - if ever there was a time to give youth a chance this tour would be it!

They aren't small boys too - Scott is a physical player and Dunbar probably even more so!

Have amended your op, RDW. Or else I'm really confused.

I'm not suggesting that Dunbar and Scott shouldn't tour - it's vital that they do.

I'm just saying that we should be careful about heaping expectation upon them.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:40 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Although I agree with your general point that they are young lads, I entirely agree with that point. I thought Scott was one of our stand out players in the semi final and really came of age. Yes he had a silly knock on, but so did everyone.

+1

GC what match were you watching? Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 10:49 am

Yeah sorry - there was a very important "don't agree" missing there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2012, 11:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Yeah sorry - there was a very important "don't agree" missing there!
I've been married for a year now.

I know a "don't agree' when I hear "agree".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2012, 11:12 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

+1

GC what match were you watching? Wink
Radge! Honestly. Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 15 May 2012, 11:16 am

its actually harleys second season aswell.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2012, 11:19 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:its actually harleys second season aswell.
Yes, I know IBD but he was much less visible due to his time with the under-20s and he was still wrestling the likes of Barker for a shirt as I recall that Lineen stuck him in as lock cover a lot. Much better at blindside. I think what I meant was that he really came of age this season.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 15 May 2012, 11:20 am

George Carlin wrote:1. This is Robinson's chance to test centre combinations. Surely Scott Johnson will get a say in this.

To most coaches, this would mean that the youngsters need more game time but to AR it will mean slipping on the old comfortable shoes of Schlong or Morrison. I think that Schlong will travel, with the justification that Scotland need his carrying (he was one of the top carriers statistically in the 6N).

Robinson has tried so many different centre pairings and is still nowhere near finding one that is of international quality. I think the problem with this tour is that there is a very real possibility of losing to Fiji and/or Samoa. Were that not the case, I would be more confident that Robinson would actually try breaking the mould rather than going for 'experience'.

If we come away with a loss against Australia and narrow wins/losses against Fiji and Samoa, I think the tour will have been a waste of time. Of course you'll get the people who bang on about winning being the be-all and end-all. However, when Scotland are perennially pish and lose all the time, I don't really think Robinson can make a case for continuing his pragmatic approach, picking up the odd jammy win rather than developing a team that will get out of the pools at the next Rugby World Cup.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 12:07 pm

Just seen that Rory Lawson is in the ba ba's squad for the Wales game - think it's fair to say he won't be in the Scotland squad now!

Johnnie Beattie is too so i suspect the same will apply for him.

BACKS - Isa Nacewa (Fiji), Mils Muliaina (New Zealand), Ian Balshaw (England), Cedric Heymans (France), Shane Williams (Wales), Paul Sackey (England), Sailosi Tagicakibau (Samoa), Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu (Samoa), Mike Tindall (England), Damien Traille (France), Felipe Contepomi (Argentine), Stephen Donald (New Zealand), Stephen Jones (Wales), Rory Lawson (Scotland), Jerome Fillol (France).

FORWARDS - Schalk Brits (South Africa), Benoit August (France), John Smit (South Africa), Aled de Malmanche (New Zealand), John Afoa (New Zealand), Duncan Jones (Wales), B J Botha (South Africa), Neemia Tialata (New Zealand), Jerome Thion (France), Mick O'Driscoll (Ireland), Anton van Zyl (South Africa), Pelu Taele (Samoa), Raphael Lakafia (France), Antoine Burban (France), Akupusi Qera (Fiji), John Beattie (Scotland), Pedrie Wannenburg (South Africa), Juan Manuel Leguizamon (Argentine).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 15 May 2012, 12:08 pm

Just a reminder of what's coming to enjoy with your lunch, lads: Sean Maitland

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 15 May 2012, 12:15 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Just a reminder of what's coming to enjoy with your lunch, lads: Sean Maitland

Braveheart

It's not happening! Stop getting our hopes up. The virtual hat is on standby if it does though.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 15 May 2012, 12:21 pm

From The Hootsman

Published on Tuesday 15 May 2012 11:55

Scotland rugby coach Andy Robinson will tomorrow unveil a 28-man squad for next month’s three-match tour of Australia, Fiji and Samoa.

And, if recent emphasis has been on the unavailability of the likes of Dave Denton, Lee Jones and Jim Hamilton, the tour will also see the rehabilitation of the tried and trusted in the form of Joe Ansbro and maybe also Ally Dickinson, the newly-eligible Tim Visser and a handful of up-and-comings set to be rewarded for getting Edinburgh to a Heineken European Cup semi-final this season.

The need to plan ahead was certainly prominent in the mind of Scottish Rugby chief executive Mark Dodson when he attended the introduction of Chris Paterson as an ambassador/coach at Murrayfield last week, where he remarked: “This tour is pretty important. But we heap too much pressure on the need to deliver. With Scotland there is a time to deliver but there is also a time to see some of the other players coming through.”

That could be the cue for the likes of Grant Gilchrist, Tom Brown and Matt Scott to undertake their first sojourn of this type while Greig Laidlaw may have made himself an indispensible part of coach Robinson’s Six Nations plans but he will be undertaking a maiden tour with Scotland, probably to cover both half back positions, if it is decided to leave Mike Blair at home to continue sorting out a club for next season.

As well as new blood what Scotland desperately needed after that limp Six Nations is a feeling that this is a fresh start, which is where Ansbro will come in.

The first black player to be capped by Scotland when introduced for the win over South Africa in 2010, Ansbro started eight out of the next dozen games, sometimes missing out as squads were rotated immediately before and during the World Cup. Injury struck on his return from New Zealand but by then Ansbro was already planning atonement, remarking at the beginning of this year on the need to prove more effective as a team than was shown at the World Cup.

“We played some good rugby throughout the tournament but didn’t quite have that finishing touch you need at international level. In the England match we had a few chances but didn’t put them away. We need to improve in closing games out.”

In that respect nothing has changed from when Ansbro made those comments and Robinson, pictured below, will be pinning hopes on an extra cutting edge being provided by Visser when he becomes available on Scottish residency grounds after the Australian leg while Scott and Brown have been integral to an Edinburgh back division which has proved capable of opening defences – orchestrated by Laidlaw.

Ruaridh Jackson and Duncan Weir may be rivals for the Glasgow stand off slot and each player has found favour with Robinson in the past. But it is unlikely both will travel especially with another from that stable, Alex Dunbar, coming with such a rush of form in the centre that Jack Cuthbert could be jettisoned immediately after being an unused sub for Scotland’s concluding Six Nations clash in Rome.

Quite how Robinson chances his arm on the back of seven straight defeats will be fascinating but so far as the forwards are concerned it is more a case of needs must – especially at second row while the grapevine suggests the veteran Allan Jacobsen will be rested from an arduous tour of duty at this stage of his career.

Jim Hamilton’s red card which earned him a seven-week ban when captaining Gloucester against London Irish may well open a door for Grant Gilchrist, who has had a season to remember at Edinburgh and although Stuart McInally was unable to command a start at the business end of the European Cup, his versatility could move him closer to a first cap in the back row.

Here, though, Robinson might just have an ace up his sleeve in the form of Ally Hogg, whose cap career has stalled after 48 appearances but is still only 29.

Credited with being the mainstay of a Newcastle Falcons side that was admittedly off-colour for much of the season, Hogg has plenty of experience to lend in an area where Robinson may be preparing to pick another uncapped contender in Rob Harley.

Not that Hogg is holding his breath, declaring: “Sometimes you are in and sometimes you are not, but I will never say never as far as Scotland are concerned. I have still got a massive desire to play for them, but at the moment there is not much love coming my way. That is just the way it goes sometimes.”

Possible tour squad:

Forwards: Ford, Cross, Rennie, McInally, Gilchrist (all Edinburgh), Gray, Barclay, Kellock, Welsh, Harley (Glasgow), Dickinson, Vernon (both Sale), Lawson (London Irish), Strokosch (Perpignan), Murray (Newcastle),

Backs: Laidlaw, De Luca, Visser, Scott, Brown (all Edinburgh), Evans (Castres), S Lamont (Scarlets), Hogg, Dunbar, Morrison, Weir, Cusiter (all Glasgow), Ansbro (London Irish)

It seems Can't Pass and Won't pass are being suggested as travellers. Rolling Eyes

To be honest I don't really care if we don't win, I would much rather we establish a centre partnership that they have no involvement in to set us up for the Autumn and the next 6N.

The back division I would like to see him persevere with would be :

9. Blair / Laidlaw
10. Laidlaw / Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL/Dunbar
14. S.Lamont/Evans
15. Hogg/Brown
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 12:23 pm

TBH I'm yet to see the Hootsman get a "possible squad announcement" wrong, so I'd be pretty confident that's the squad.

They seem to have a mole in the SRU or something!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 15 May 2012, 12:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:TBH I'm yet to see the Hootsman get a "possible squad announcement" wrong, so I'd be pretty confident that's the squad.

Well I hope that they are wrong, cos that squad looks feicing ropey in places. With improvements, it should look like this:

Forwards: Ford, Cross, Rennie, McInally, Gilchrist (all Edinburgh), Gray, Barclay, Grant, Kellock, Low, MacArthur, Welsh, Harley (Glasgow), Dickinson, Vernon (both Sale), Lawson (London Irish), Strokosch (Perpignan), Murray (Newcastle),

Backs: Laidlaw, De Luca, Visser, Scott, Brown (all Edinburgh), Evans (Castres), S Lamont (Scarlets), Hogg, Dunbar, Morrison, Weir, Cusiter (all Glasgow), Ansbro (London Irish), Anyone (any club)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 15 May 2012, 12:44 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:TBH I'm yet to see the Hootsman get a "possible squad announcement" wrong, so I'd be pretty confident that's the squad.

Well I hope that they are wrong, cos that squad looks feicing ropey in places. With improvements, it should look like this:

Forwards: Ford, Cross, Rennie, McInally, Gilchrist (all Edinburgh), Gray, Barclay, Grant, Kellock, Low, MacArthur, Welsh, Harley (Glasgow), Dickinson, Vernon (both Sale), Lawson (London Irish), Strokosch (Perpignan), Murray (Newcastle),

Backs: Laidlaw, De Luca, Visser, Scott, Brown (all Edinburgh), Evans (Castres), S Lamont (Scarlets), Hogg, Dunbar, Morrison, Weir, Cusiter (all Glasgow), Ansbro (London Irish), Southwell (London Wasps)

Fixed that for you ASBO Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 15 May 2012, 12:45 pm

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 12:49 pm

I'd be raging if I was Grant and Dickinson got in ahead of me!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 15 May 2012, 12:56 pm

What is up with Scottish coaches' obsession with Dickinson? He's a terrible, terrible prop. Remarkable that someone so bad at a fundamental part of their job can still be picked so often.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 15 May 2012, 1:00 pm

He's ok at loosehead in the GP, I've only really got a problem with him playing at tighthead.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 15 May 2012, 1:28 pm

nickj wrote:He's ok at loosehead in the GP, I've only really got a problem with him playing at tighthead.

He's not an ok loosehead at international level. Been shown up there time and time again.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 May 2012, 1:33 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'd be raging if I was Grant and Dickinson got in ahead of me!

You'd be raging if you were Sheills as well, but Grant would be particularly aggrieved. I thought he was extremely good against Healy, and his workrate around the park (pretty much the only thing that Dickinson brings to the table) is exceptional.

Similarly what has Euan Murray done? He was awful for Scotland last time round, doesn't even scrummage strongly anymore, and in open play Scotland are pretty much playing with 14 when Euge is included.

That would not be a strong squad. There are only 28 places, so no room for old, deadwood, off-form players in this touring party. If Robinson deploys the word "experience" when announcing the squad tomorrow, we are sunk. I want to hear a positive message that, at long last, Scotland are picking a young squad full of promise, not on a whim, but because these young players have established themselves, through strong performances at club level, as the best players in Scotland.

On the topic of back row balance, a back row of Harley, Rennie and Barclay does not work. We must have specialists playing in specialist postions, and Barclay is not a utility number 8. I hope Beattie has a stormer for the Baa Baas. He's far too good and too talented to not be involved in this tour, particularly with Denton out.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 15 May 2012, 1:43 pm

Agree with all of that, FES. Good post.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 15 May 2012, 1:44 pm

Jesus that better not be the squad! There can be no justification for taking Dickinson - in the last 4 months he has played 40 minutes of one game and 27 of another! How does that earn in international call up! Lawson? Morrison? Christ.

I am also worried that everyone seems resigned to Barclay travelling as an 8. I will be furious if that happens, the way he's been moved around the back row this season has been ridiculous. If Fusaro is playing better, then Barclay shouldn't start, simple as that. Finding another way to fit him in just to get him on the park is really stupid. And therefore probably exactly what Robinson has in mind.

BTW I just thought I'd better check Regulation 8 to make sure leaving for Australia before his residency is completed wouldn't mean Visser wasn't qualified. Thankfully it's based on where your permanent home is and you don't actually have to be in the country all the time so he'll be OK. Just seemed like exactly the sort of thing the SRU wouldn't check up on only to find he'd have to serve another 3 years!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 May 2012, 1:48 pm

Backs: Laidlaw, De Luca, Visser, Scott, Brown (all Edinburgh), Evans (Castres), S Lamont (Scarlets), Hogg, Dunbar, Morrison, Weir, Cusiter (all Glasgow), Ansbro (London Irish), Anyone (any club)

It is a rare occassion that I would back a less "conservative" squad than ASBO, but I would personally take Fusaro ahead of Barclay, Ryder ahead of Kellock and (as you were missing a forward) add either Shiells from Newcastle, or, if you are happy with only 4 props, Johnny Beattie (without Denton easily our best number 8).

As for the "anyone" slot in the backs, Mike Blair should be included.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 15 May 2012, 2:08 pm

fES, I was going with the idea that Blair is wanting to stay home to sort out his next contract, otherwise he's a shoo-in

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 15 May 2012, 2:15 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

It is a rare occassion that I would back a less "conservative" squad than ASBO, but I would personally take Fusaro ahead of Barclay, Ryder ahead of Kellock and (as you were missing a forward) add either Shiells from Newcastle, or, if you are happy with only 4 props, Johnny Beattie (without Denton easily our best number 8).

As for the "anyone" slot in the backs, Mike Blair should be included.

I agree that Barclay is definitely not a number eight but Johnnie Beattie must have pumped Sean Lineen's sister or something to have the kind of fall from grace that he's had. I know he had a bad injury and was brought in against Ireland in the 2011 Six Nations way too early but he's not been given much of a chance at Glasgow this season. Hopefully he'll actually get some game time at Montpellier because playing Barclay or Brown there won't cut it.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 May 2012, 4:48 pm

Definitely shouldn't tour:
Southwell, Morrison, Murchie, Jacobsen
Shouldn't tour:
Kellock, Sean Lamont, Strokosh, Ally Hogg

I don't understand the worry about number 8, we have plenty of players in the back row:
Simon Taylor, Ally Hogg, Johnnie Beattie, Richie Vernon, Stuart MacInally, Ryan Wilson, John Barclay, Chris Fusaro, Ross Rennie, Roddy Grant, Kelly Brown, Alistair Strockosh, Rob Harley, Jason White. It is probably one area that, if we had four teams, we wouldn't be short on.

Robinson Seeking The Right Blend As Options Narrow
MAY
Posted by Gavin Harper at 10.56am
Filed under: Scotland National Team, Scottish rugby blog

It seems unlikely there will be many new faces when Andy Robinson names his Scotland squad later this week for the summer tour Down Under, with only 28 places available on the plane to Australia.

Robinson is likely to keep faith with the majority of the squad involved in this year’s Six Nations, with soon-to-be-qualified try machine Tim Visser certain to travel, and expected to be the only new face in the squad. Visser’s inclusion was always going to come at this stage given his club form, and he will probably replace injured Edinburgh team-mate Lee Jones.

Alasdair Strokosch will come back into contention after missing the latter half of the Six Nations, giving Robinson more options in the back-row, where Richie Vernon is also set for a recall as David Denton recovers from an ankle ligament injury.

Question marks have been raised over the form of veteran prop Allan Jacobsen in recent months, and for that reason, Jon Welsh is likely to travel following his impressive performances for Glasgow, and his international debut against Italy. There has been talk in some quarters of ‘Chunk’ being rested for the tour, so Ryan Grant may find himself on the plane.

One area where Robinson may be forced into experimenting, and bringing in a new face, is at lock. With Jim Hamilton suspended and Nathan Hines retired, Glasgow lock Tom Ryder would seem favourite to come into the squad, with Rob Harley’s versatility adding a fourth second-row option.

Behind the pack, Robinson is somewhat short on options, with Rory Lamont and Nikki Walker long-term injury absentees, and Visser not available for the first match against the Wallabies. Joe Ansbro‘s return to fitness and form is a timely boost, and he may well fill the number 12 jersey with Nick De Luca again outside him. Max Evans and Stuart Hogg would provide the other back-three options.

What of the likes of Hugo Southwell and Simon Taylor, though? The pair have been in form and it looks, on paper, a squad bereft of experience, especially behind the scrum. Southwell was awarded London Wasps’ Players Player of the Year, and could offer something different from or perhaps in tandem with the mercurial Hogg.

Whatever Robinson chooses to do, it is sure to be a tough examination of his coaching ability, and of his players, as they aim to put right the results that have seen Scotland plummet to 11th in the world rankings.

Last edited by 123456789 on Tue 15 May 2012, 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 15 May 2012, 4:52 pm

Feicing madness if that is true furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 4:57 pm

Is that the Herald?

Going back to my earlier comment, where the Scotsman is usually correct and always gets the squad announcements spot on and well in advance, the Herald is usually wrong! Here's hoping....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:05 pm

Still if Morrison and Lamont are in the squad it means they'll probably play because they won't gain anything from being around the squad whereas Robinson could put some of the younger ones in "for experience".

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2012, 5:11 pm

123456789 wrote:Still if Morrison and Lamont are in the squad it means they'll probably play because they won't gain anything from being around the squad whereas Robinson could put some of the younger ones in "for experience".

Um, eh? Headscratch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 May 2012, 5:26 pm

Basically if he takes Morrison and Lamont that almost certainly means that he is going to pick them because otherwise they will gain nothing from the trip whereas if he takes the likes of Dunbar it may be to get them in and around the squad so that they can experience the international set up much like Harley.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 May 2012, 8:40 pm

I'm already depressed about tomorrow's announcement!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 15 May 2012, 9:16 pm

I too hopeBeattie gets some game time at Montpellier but the current seond choice 8 is a young guy called Alex Tulu. Looks like a younger, faster version of Chris Masoe, so dont thiink he is going to have an easy time making the starting team.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 May 2012, 9:52 pm

An 2010 Johnnie Beattie is up there with the best in Europe, if all our players were on form and injury free we could come up with two very competitive sides:

1. Welsh Jacobsen
2. Ford MacArthur
3. Cross Low
4. Gray Hamilton
5. Gilchrist Kellock
6. Brown Harley
7. Rennie Barclay
8. Denton Beattie
9. Blair Cusiter
10. Weir Laidlaw
11. Visser Jones
12. Scott De Luca
13. Dunbar Ansbro
14. Evans Rory Lamont
15. Hogg Brown

And that's without including Euan Murray, Scott Lawson, Dougie Hall, Alasdair Dickinson, Tom Ryder, Stuart MacInally, Chris Fusaro, Richie Vernon, Ally Hogg, Simon Taylor, Ryan Wilson, Strockosh, Rory Lawson, Jackson, Harry Leonard, Sean Lamont, Mark Bennett and probably more, although many of the above are distinctly average (that's put kindly) we should be doing a lot better if you look at the calibre. The idea that, on form, Beattie wouldn't get game time at Montpellier is ludicrous.

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 15 May 2012, 10:18 pm

Yes but Beattie has not been on form for the last 2 years, never came back from his injury. Hopefully he does, to pick him now without form is a clear error.

PS you got Jones and Schlongs wings mixed up, and not sure the latter has still got the pace to be an International - very good wholehearted player though.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:45 pm

I'm not suggesting that we do pick Beattie however he seems to be suffering from a Torres like problem in that whenever he gathers a small bit of momentum he loses form, gets injured or is dropped. No one has confidence in him, it's always a case of will he perform. If Lineen had backed him to the hilt he would be halfway back to the player he was, if he never does return it will be a travesty that a player so good ended up like this; this is why I believe that we need three or four professional teams because then we can bring through our young players like Denton, Wilson and MacInally whilst backing our slightly older misfiring players. Imagine if we had the luxury of being able to "loan" Beattie out to a pro team in the north or south of Scotland which didn't play with the pressures of Edinburgh or Glasgow who carry the weight of being Scotland's only professional teams and having to win or come close as a result. In an ideal world Beattie could have played last season at a Scottish side similar to Connacht who play at a high level but no one expects them to achieve anything. This is quite off-topic, sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 May 2012, 9:36 am

Squad is being announced just before midday today.....why do I have the feeling we're all going to be having massive rants on here a la 21st centuary schizoid man....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 16 May 2012, 9:45 am

I'm getting ready with my anger calming measures and already practicing using my indoor voice/typing. zen
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 May 2012, 9:50 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Squad is being announced just before midday today.....why do I have the feeling we're all going to be having massive rants on here a la 21st centuary schizoid man....
I'm with fES and have already fallen into depression just thinking about it Sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 May 2012, 9:56 am

To be honest, it's only Matt Scott, Dunbar and Tom Brown I'm really bothered about - if all 3 are in there, happy days! 2 I could just about cope with but 1 or none then, well, I think I might even tweet at the SRU twitter account and give them abuse!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 16 May 2012, 9:59 am

I'm the opposite RDW. I'm not worried about players being left behind I'm more worried about the likes of Morrison, Southwell and Lamont being brought as a credible centre.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 May 2012, 9:59 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be honest, it's only Matt Scott, Dunbar and Tom Brown I'm really bothered about - if all 3 are in there, happy days! 2 I could just about cope with but 1 or none then, well, I think I might even tweet at the SRU twitter account and give them abuse!
Get ready to tweet, RDW, I bet you that Dunbar and Brown aren't included furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 May 2012, 10:00 am

That's my point though - if the 3 I mentioned aren't in there then it will be because Morrison, Southwell and Lamont (at centre) have been picked instead!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 16 May 2012, 10:51 am

This is gonna be a doozie ...

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 May 2012, 10:53 am

Lets have a competition to see who gets in there first with the team announcment. I've got a quiet morning at work so am confident!

Bubbly for the winner!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 16 May 2012, 10:55 am

As long as Visser, Weir, Scott, Brown, Gilchrist, Harley, Welsh and McInally travel, as well as the usual suspects I will be chuffed. If we see 6 or 7 of the above on the plane I will be ok. But to be honest I think we'll see this squad:

Welsh, Ford, Cross, Gray, Kellock, Rennie, Harley, Vernon, Cusiter, Laidlaw, Visser, Scott, De Luca, M Evans, S Hogg

S Lawson, Low, Gilchrist, Barclay, R Lawson, Weir, Ansbro

MacArthur, Grant, Ryder, A Hogg (Fusaro or McInally), S Lamont (Dunbar), Southwell (Brown)

Personally I would take McInally over Ally Hogg. I would like to take Fusaro too. Dunbar over Schlong and Brown over Southwell

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next