The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

+22
cp10
bluestonevedder
21st Century Schizoid Man
flyhalffactory
Cryptoyourisan
highland_scot
George Carlin
justified sinner
Majestic83
LondonTiger
nickj
Scot Abroad
funnyExiledScot
RDW
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Manky-Flanker
Imperialbigdave
Captain_Sensible
KickAndChase
26 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread. Empty Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

Post by KickAndChase Thu 03 May 2012, 10:12 am

Despite the anger it invites from many Scottish posters (more as a place to vent than the cause) I miss the standard Scotland thread. With Edinburgh's success in the Heineken Cup and what looks like Glasgow's in the RABO we have two semi finals under our belt in club rugby. Can the players finally overcome the friction with their coaching team and display this on the pitch? Who would be your picks for the summer tour squad and match day 22s? Do you think we will win a match this year?

No news on squad size yet (I believe) but we can speculate. I do think we will beat one of Fiji & Samoa and also the Waratahs, but that's it. Anyone able to instill that misguided Scottish faith back into me??? kiss

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread. Empty Re: Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 10:53 am

Think the squad size has been announced at 32 players.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread. Empty Re: Scots Reunite! The Summer Tour Thread.

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 10:53 am

Form up incompetence! Shape up embarrasment!

Im actually nervous about the tahs game. If the have a largely first choice team minus the internationals, they could beat us. Depends how we treat the game aswell. Id like to see us use it to give the younger guys a run out, Brown , Gilchrist, Dunbar, Scott.

What I really want to see though, is a clear out of underperformers in the 30 man squad. No picking Chunk, Kellock, Barclay, Cusiter, Morrison, Ramont, De Luca.

While in reality i expect at least 50% of them to travel, if all of them make the squad then It will show that for the 4th tournament in a row, Robinson has learned nothing.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 03 May 2012, 11:05 am

How about this for a starting 15, think AR would go for it?

1)Welsh
2)Ford
3)Cross
4)Gray
5)Ryder
6)Harley
7)Rennie
8)Denton

9)Blair
10)Laidlaw
11)Visser
12)Scott
13)Ansbro
14)Jones
15)Hogg

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 11:32 am

@Imperialbigdave

I've no idea how good the Waratahs are, as I don't really keep up with S15 rugby. But I hope we treat that game seriously, as I think our players need to develop the habit of winning in a Scotland shirt. I'd also like to see some of the 'younger guys' you mention in the 1st XV, or close to it - particularly Scott, Brown and Gilchrist.

As for players I'd leave at home, definitely Morrison and NDL. They've shown little sign of being able to produce good performances in a Scotland shirt, and it's time to offer a chance to others.

If Chunk goes, I won't be disappointed, but neither will I be heart-broken if he stays. As long as Welsh is first choice at LH, I can live with Chunk being on the plane, although Ryan Grant, and maybe Grant Shiells, are probably ahead of him at the moment.

I think Ramont is injured, and Barclay is a good player being played out of position. I've no problem with him being taken along, as long as he's played at 7 (Rennie is still first choice though, and Fusaro is knocking on the door).

Kellock is a good leader, but has failed to impress me with his Scotland performances recently. I'll put him in the Chunk 'meh' category as well. Cusiter's form has struggled, and he's third choice SH behind Blair and Laidlaw atm, but I wouldn't protest if he gets picked.

As for the 1st XV and bench, I'd like to see it look something like this.

1. Welsh
2. Ford
3. Low
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Denton

9. Laidlaw
10. Weir

11. Visser/S Lamont (depending on date of Visser's qualification)
12. Scott
13. Asnbro
14. Jones
15. Hogg

Bench - MacArthur, Cross, Gilchrist, Barclay, Blair, Dunbar, Brown

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 11:35 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:@Imperialbigdave

I've no idea how good the Waratahs are, as I don't really keep up with S15 rugby. But I hope we treat that game seriously, as I think our players need to develop the habit of winning in a Scotland shirt. I'd also like to see some of the 'younger guys' you mention in the 1st XV, or close to it - particularly Scott, Brown and Gilchrist.

As for players I'd leave at home, definitely Morrison and NDL. They've shown little sign of being able to produce good performances in a Scotland shirt, and it's time to offer a chance to others.

If Chunk goes, I won't be disappointed, but neither will I be heart-broken if he stays. As long as Welsh is first choice at LH, I can live with Chunk being on the plane, although Ryan Grant, and maybe Grant Shiells, are probably ahead of him at the moment.

I think Ramont is injured, and Barclay is a good player being played out of position. I've no problem with him being taken along, as long as he's played at 7 (Rennie is still first choice though, and Fusaro is knocking on the door).

Kellock is a good leader, but has failed to impress me with his Scotland performances recently. I'll put him in the Chunk 'meh' category as well. Cusiter's form has struggled, and he's third choice SH behind Blair and Laidlaw atm, but I wouldn't protest if he gets picked.

As for the 1st XV and bench, I'd like to see it look something like this.

1. Welsh
2. Ford
3. Low
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Denton

9. Laidlaw
10. Weir

11. Visser/S Lamont (depending on date of Visser's qualification)
12. Scott
13. Asnbro
14. Jones
15. Hogg

Bench - MacArthur, Cross, Gilchrist, Barclay, Blair, Dunbar, Brown
+1 Agree with all of that. My only addition is that we must take Mark Bennett if for no other reason than to win up fES!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 11:45 am

Ansbro and Scott against the Pacific Islanders do me a favour!!!

I know a lot of people want DeLuca dropped. You can't do that unless you want to have someone like Morrison or Lamont at 12. DeLuca is the one who makes the bulk of the tackles and turnovers for Edinburgh and Ansbro is hardly renowned for his bone rattling defence.

On merit NDL is the man in possesion of the 13 shirt and for all those saying he should be dropped for his yellow cards surely we should have dropped the likes of Hines, Rennie and Barclay for picking up Yellow cards in critical international games.

As he proved against Ulster in the HC he is the best 13 we have at our disposal. End of Story. Ansbro has done nothing to suggest he should be taken at 13 instead of NDL. The only player who has mounted a serious challenge is Dunbar and I expect him to get some game time on the tour.

People should really be jumping of the NDL hating band wagon when we look at our alternatives.

my test team would look like this :

1. Welsh
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Denton

9. Blair
10. Laidlaw (C)
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Jones
15. Hogg

16. Low 17. McArthur 18. Kellock 19. Barclay 20. Cusiter 21. Weir 22. Dunbar

A year too early for Bennet IMO Asbo, I don't think he would bring any more to the table than NDL, Ansbro, Grove, Dunbar who should all be above him in the centre pecking order OK

For the Record I fully expect to see Morrison and Lamont in the centres at some point. So all this is pure fantasy, and deep down every Scottish fan knows it steam
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 12:16 pm

@RuggerRadge

Ansbro has been injured for a while, but has come back into form with London Irish – scored a try and set up another in a recent game. He has always looked more dangerous than NDL when playing at 13 for Scotland. He’s quick, strong and very creative. You may also remember that he tackled everything put in front of him on his debut vs South Africa in 2010. Of course he can defend, and doesn’t make silly brainfart decisions like NDL does.

NDL is a good club player, I’m the first to admit that. He has played very well for Edinburgh this season. But he has simply never made the step-up to consistent international quality, despite numerous chances to do so. I’m sick of him picking up yellow cards, and his performances in the recent 6N were poor (apart from his fired up cameo vs France).

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 12:26 pm

Ansbro has done nothing more than Grove to be included either. I'm not convinced Ansbro is the answer at 13 either. I think Dunbar is where the 13 shirt will eventually come to rest but for the moment NDL is the best 13 available.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 12:33 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Ansbro has done nothing more than Grove to be included either. I'm not convinced Ansbro is the answer at 13 either. I think Dunbar is where the 13 shirt will eventually come to rest but for the moment NDL is the best 13 available.

What evidence do you have for this statement? At least I tried to make an argument in favour of Ansbro - you haven't addressed my points or presented any evidence of our own.

Given our lack of depth at 12, and how well Dunbar played there when Morrison went off early vs Cardiff, I’d like to see Dunbar challenge Scott for the shirt over the next few seasons. We have good depth at 13, but I really don’t see NDL as good option there anymore. He makes too many silly decisions, and never seems to reliably transfer his club form to the international arena.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Ansbros defence is fine, He doesnt put in big hits, but neither does he miss tackles. I agree De Lucas blitz defence is right up there with the best, but I believe we can live without it for one tour. Even just as an example that no one is undroppable if they do idiotic things on the pitch.

If youre really worried about defence, then Grove is the man. He pretty much considered the best defensive centre in England, and in his 3 caps so far he showed that hes a rock.

If we were taking 4 centres, id go for Ansbro, Grove, Scott and Dunbar. ALL of them have played pro level in both positions, and are far more rounded players than Morrison, Lamont and Evans. They may not stand out with massive hits, but neither are they weak links.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 03 May 2012, 12:39 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Ansbro has done nothing more than Grove to be included either. I'm not convinced Ansbro is the answer at 13 either. I think Dunbar is where the 13 shirt will eventually come to rest but for the moment NDL is the best 13 available.

Maybe for Edinburgh but not fopr Scotland radge. Granted he's a quality club player but he is pretty ineffective Internationally speaking.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 12:42 pm

NDL has had a consistant and injury free season and apart from rushes of blood to the head against Wales and Italy has played very well for club and country.

He never brings his club form to the international arena because of his inside centre. Every time he has played for Scotland he has had either Dan Parks at 10 or worse Lamont and Morrison (AKA can't pass/won't pass at 12). They could make Conrad Smith & BOD look average with the way they distribute to their outside centres.

NDL deserves a chance with Scott at 12 in the Scotland shirt. If he still fails to deliver by all means try something else.

More important for me is getting 12 sorted. Can't Pass/Won't pass need to be ditched without hesitation for this test series.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 12:43 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Maybe for Edinburgh but not fopr Scotland radge. Granted he's a quality club player but he is pretty ineffective Internationally speaking.

Because he has Morrison or Lamont at 12 steam
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 03 May 2012, 12:51 pm

My main worry is the motivation of the players - they came back from an awful time in the 6n and were probably delighted to be back with decent coaches, and success on the field with their clubs.

Will they really be that keen to be part of a losing Scotland again having just got their confidence back?

Has to be a full house of victories for me - no excuses. I'd maybe accept losing to Australia's A team but still wouldn't be happy.

My team for what its worth:

1-chunk/Welsh
2 - Ford
3 cross
4 Gray
5 Hamilton (need a tough man for this tour)
6 Harley
7 Rennie
8 Denton
9 Blair
10 Laidlaw (weir hasn't been on great form and Jackson is just crap)
11 visser when available, mevans if not
12 Scott
13 de Luca
14 Jones
15 Hogg

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 12:53 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:NDL has had a consistant and injury free season and apart from rushes of blood to the head against Wales and Italy has played very well for club and country.

More important for me is getting 12 sorted. Can't Pass/Won't pass need to be ditched without hesitation for this test series.

NDL has had enough chances, and I don't think the silly decision making is something that would go away with a new inside centre. He just seems to let the pressure of international rugby get to him.

I absolutely agree that the inside centre position needs sorting as the main priority. If AR plays Morrison or SLamont, all they will do is stink up the entire backline, as both those players reduce the effectiveness of whatever outside centre and flyhalf they play with.

Case in point – Duncan Weir played brilliantly next to Matt Scott against the Saxons, because he didn’t have to force his own creativity to make up for a lack of it elsewhere. He has also excelled next to Dunbar and Aramburu when they have been playing in the 12 slot for Glasgow. As soon as Morrison came back to play next to him at Glasgow after the 6N, Weir’s form dropped off. Coincidence? I think not.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 1:00 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:NDL has had a consistant and injury free season and apart from rushes of blood to the head against Wales and Italy has played very well for club and country.

NDL has had enough chances, and I don't think the silly decision making is something that would go away with a new inside centre. He just seems to let the pressure of international rugby get to him.

I absolutely agree that the inside centre position needs sorting as the main priority. If AR plays Morrison or SLamont, all they will do is stink up the entire backline, as both those players reduce the effectiveness of whatever outside centre and flyhalf they play with.

Case in point – Duncan Weir played brilliantly next to Matt Scott against the Saxons, because he didn’t have to force his own creativity to make up for a lack of it elsewhere. He has also excelled next to Dunbar and Aramburu when they have been playing in the 12 slot for Glasgow. As soon as Morrison came back to play next to him at Glasgow after the 6N, Weir’s form dropped off. Coincidence? I think not.

Surely that comment backs up my opinion. NDL deserves a shot with a proper, creative 12 inside him. Hence Matt Scott and NDL should be the 12-13 partnership for this summer tour. If NDL still doesn't cut the mustard bring in Grove, Dunbar or Ansbro. He desevres a chance with a good distributing 12 to be judged on.

I don't see the point tinkering with the backline. I would keep it as the Edinburgh backline with Hogg in at 15 and bring in some of the Glasgow grunt in the forwards.

I would also try Weir at 10 too and Laidlaw at 9, I'm just not convinced I would like to see that 9-10 channel at the mercy of the monstrous pacific Islanders Backrow and Strike runners. Erm

Robinson seemed to do the opposite with Scotland he brought Edinbugh's defensive frailties and Glasgow's Weaker running game (Hogg Aside) to the Scotland side. Glasgow unearthed a wee gem in the form of Dunbar and I'm sure all the Glasgow fans are happy to have DTH back. Post 6N the Glasgow attacking game has improved a lot. Thanks to primarily to Hogg, Dunbar, Seymore and DTH.

Seymore is a player I would like to see more of but I'm not convinced I would drop Jones or Visser for him. PErhaps take him instead of Max Evans?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 1:21 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

Surely that comment backs up my opinion. NDL deserves a shot with a proper, creative 12 inside him. Hence Matt Scott and NDL should be the 12-13 partnership for this summer tour. If NDL still doesn't cut the mustard bring in Grove, Dunbar or Ansbro. He desevres a chance with a good distributing 12 to be judged on.

I don't see the point tinkering with the backline. I would keep it as the Edinburgh backline with Hogg in at 15 and bring in some of the Glasgow grunt in the forwards.

I would also try Weir at 10 too and Laidlaw at 9, I'm just not convinced I would like to see that 9-10 channel at the mercy of the monstrous pacific Islanders Backrow and Strike runners. Erm

Robinson seemed to do the opposite with Scotland he brought Edinbugh's defensive frailties and Glasgow's Weaker running game (Hogg Aside) to the Scotland side. Glasgow unearthed a wee gem in the form of Dunbar and I'm sure all the Glasgow fans are happy to have DTH back. Post 6N the Glasgow attacking game has improved a lot. Thanks to primarily to Hogg, Dunbar, Seymore and DTH.

Seymore is a player I would like to see more of but I'm not convinced I would drop Jones or Visser for him. PErhaps take him instead of Max Evans?

Radge, the paragraph previous to the one you highlighted shows why i don't agree with you - his brainfarts are endemic at the international level. I don't think it has much to do with his inside centre partner; more to do with the pressure of the occasion. I'm sure he would play better for Scotland if Scott was played at 12, but we still can't afford for him to pick up silly yellows or give away silly penalties all the time.

I haven't seen enough of Seymour to make a judgement on him, but I do prefer the idea of Laidlaw at 9 and Weir at 10, alongside Scott at 12.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 1:27 pm

I'm afraid I'm with Sensible on this one, Radge, just for this summer tour tho - NdL simply must learn OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 May 2012, 1:44 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I'm afraid I'm with Sensible on this one, Radge, just for this summer tour tho - NdL simply must learn OK

Well I'm with Radge. One afternoon in the pub with me and the lad is talking a lot of sense.

Team for the summer:

1.Welsh 2.Ford (c) 3.Low 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Harley 7.Rennie 8.Denton 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Jones 15.Hogg

16.Sheills 17.MacArthur 18.Gilchrist 19.Vernon 20.Weir 21.Ansbro 22.Brown

Others for the tour: Cross, Ryan Grant, S Lawson, Ryder, Roddy Grant, Cusiter, Jackson, Leonard, Grove and M Evans.

32 players.

Summer off for Chunk, Kellock, MacKenzie (recovering from injury), Barclay, Beattie, Wilson (recovering from injury), R Lawson, Morrison, S Lamont, R Lamont, Danielli and Walker.

Playtime at the beach: M Bennett.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 1:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Well I'm with Radge. One afternoon in the pub with me and the lad is talking a lot of sense.

HEY! Wait a minute, you sayin' I didn't talk sense before?!! Shocked
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 2:01 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

HEY! Wait a minute, you sayin' I didn't talk sense before?!! Shocked
He's fickle like that, Radge, watch out for him censored

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 2:01 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I'm afraid I'm with Sensible on this one, Radge, just for this summer tour tho - NdL simply must learn OK

Team for the summer:

1.Welsh 2.Ford (c) 3.Low 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Harley 7.Rennie 8.Denton 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Jones 15.Hogg

16.Sheills 17.MacArthur 18.Gilchrist 19.Vernon 20.Weir 21.Ansbro 22.Brown

Others for the tour: Cross, Ryan Grant, S Lawson, Ryder, Roddy Grant, Cusiter, Jackson, Leonard, Grove and M Evans.

32 players.

Summer off for Chunk, Kellock, MacKenzie (recovering from injury), Barclay, Beattie, Wilson (recovering from injury), R Lawson, Morrison, S Lamont, R Lamont, Danielli and Walker.

Playtime at the beach: M Bennett

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm going to come wading into this Mark Bennet debate.

The lad was really brave to move to Clermont in persuit of becoming a better player. The move was risky and I think will pay off in the future.

What I would say is that in order to be selected for Scotland, Bennet has made a poor decision. I would say an exile would have to be playing 1st team rugby week in week out or at least make impactful cameo's from the bench to be considered.

Under those conditions I couldn't bring Bennet along for the tour to take the place of players who are arguably just as good but are playing their rugby in Scotland. Untill Fofana, Rougerie and Canale are under sustained pressure from Bennet for their jerseys I wouldn't pick him for Scotland.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 3:22 pm

Right, i see he's corrupted you then! Rolling Eyes

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 03 May 2012, 3:25 pm

Dunbar and Scott are the future of the Scotland 12 shirt. With Toonie’s apparent dislike of Morrison I think we’ll see Dunbar in the inside centre position for Glasgow a lot more next year. This is only good for Scotland though. I’m also of the opinion that De Luca has had his chance and blew it. It’s time to give the young guys a chance. If we have a squad of 32 and say we’re taking 15 backs, my choices would be

SH
Blair 31
Cusiter 29

FH
Laidlaw 26
Weir 20
Jackson

Centres
Dunbar 22
Scott 21
Ansbro 26
Grove 24

Wing
Evans 28
Visser 24
Jones 23
SLamont 31

FB
Hogg 19
Brown 22

That’s a good mix of experience and age. With these backs we have a couple of players who can cover a couple of positions, which is going to be crucial given the physicality of the games we’ll be playing. Against the Pacific Islanders I’d be inclined to play

9 Blair
10 Weir (defensively stronger than Laidlaw and offers more with the boot)
11 Visser (depending on when he qualifies)
12 Dunbar (More physical than Scott)
13 Ansbro (refound his form in recent weeks)
14 SLamont (may not be the quickest these days but has the strength to cope with the size of the opposition)
15 Hogg

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 3:40 pm

Why is everyone so quick to drop Laidlaw for Weir? Weir hasn't been great for Glasgow recently whilst Laidlaw has been outstanding for Edinburgh. chin To say Weir offers more from the boot is not entirely accurate either. He does have a little more range but is not as good at distribution as Laidlaw.

Furthermore Dunbar at 12 instead of Scott? Not too sure about that one either. Dunbar has been playing well and I think is in contention to play some part in the tour as well as Scott. I'll be happy with anyone at 12 as long as it's not Morrison or Lamont.

As for Bennet ASBO, FES's input/opinion has little to do with my decision. If he can't displace the competition at his club I'm not sure why he should be considered for Scotland.

My final word on NDL, I think he is being judged rather harshly here. Sure he was stupid and made some mistakes but so have many rugby players. His biggest strength is he is a running/attacking 13 who thrives on space created for him by a quick distributing 10/12 axis which he passes along to the likes of Visser and Jones for Edinburgh.

Untill AR plays a 12 who can distribute the ball we'll never get the best out of DeLuca. I think he deserves one last chance with his club mates inside him. If he fails to deliver again by all means he should never play for Scotland again. Untill he gets that chance I think a lot of people on here are being not only unfair but incredibly naïve.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 03 May 2012, 3:52 pm

I don't agree with it, but I think we'll see Hogg get the 13 shirt in the long term, with Scott and Dunbar fighting it out for the 12 shirt.

I like the fact Dunbar can cover both centre positions and I like the fact we could see him and Scott fighting for the 12 shirt in the future as it gives us some good tactical options; but I really can't see Dunbar getting more than a few bench slots on this tour, he's only just broken into the Glasgow team.

I presume we'll see Ramont and Brown at 15 too, if the above situation turns into reality. But I expect Hogg to play 15 during this summer's tour.

For the record I think Ansbro is a better bet on the wing, but I think he's a better 13 than Maxxy Evans. Ansbro's done us proud at 13 in his limited outings to date, but I think he could probably do with a whole pre-season after his injury woes.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 3:58 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why is everyone so quick to drop Laidlaw for Weir? Weir hasn't been great for Glasgow recently whilst Laidlaw has been outstanding for Edinburgh. chin To say Weir offers more from the boot is not entirely accurate either. He does have a little more range but is not as good at distribution as Laidlaw.

Furthermore Dunbar at 12 instead of Scott? Not too sure about that one either. Dunbar has been playing well and I think is in contention to play some part in the tour as well as Scott. I'll be happy with anyone at 12 as long as it's not Morrison or Lamont.

As for Bennet ASBO, FES's input/opinion has little to do with my decision. If he can't displace the competition at his club I'm not sure why he should be considered for Scotland.

My final word on NDL, I think he is being judged rather harshly here. Sure he was stupid and made some mistakes but so have many rugby players. His biggest strength is he is a running/attacking 13 who thrives on space created for him by a quick distributing 10/12 axis which he passes along to the likes of Visser and Jones for Edinburgh.

Untill AR plays a 12 who can distribute the ball we'll never get the best out of DeLuca. I think he deserves one last chance with his club mates inside him. If he fails to deliver again by all means he should never play for Scotland again. Untill he gets that chance I think a lot of people on here are being not only unfair but incredibly naïve.
Let's be honest, Radge, none of our 12s/13s would displace Fofana and Rougerie

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 May 2012, 4:05 pm

Agreed 100% but at least the alternatives are playing regular top end competative rugby to keep them sharp, wether it's in the pro 12 or the ERC.

As I said I fear Bennett's decision to go to Clermont had more than a touch of hubris about it. He has been unlucky with some injuries and I'm sure is learning a lot but if I'm in 2 minds about selecting him (normally I'm one to give the youngtsters a chance) what chance is there of AR picking him?

I'm not opposed to him touring, but feel Scott, De Luca, Grove and Ansbro are probably more deserving on current form and exposure to top end rugby on a more regular basis.

Bennett for me has to be playing regular rugby for Clermont to force his way into the Scotland team. If he is unable to get a game at Clermont he should consider his future very carefully. Scotland can ill afford to have a player as good as Bennett could be bench warming for the Clermont elite.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 4:08 pm

All true. I suspect it's a moot point anyhow tbh as Bennett will likely be at the U20 JWC (or 'on the beach' as fES likes to think of it!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 03 May 2012, 4:28 pm

One question that has yet to be discussed is why is Robbo only taking 32 players? We have 4 games in a month, one against a Super XV side. Surely that would be a great opportunity to give some of the less experienced and those coming back from injury the chance to get some game time. As the England tour thread suggests, they're taking 40+ players to SA.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 4:40 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why is everyone so quick to drop Laidlaw for Weir? Weir hasn't been great for Glasgow recently whilst Laidlaw has been outstanding for Edinburgh. chin To say Weir offers more from the boot is not entirely accurate either. He does have a little more range but is not as good at distribution as Laidlaw.

I actually feel that moving Laidlaw to scrum-half wouldn't be 'dropping' him, it would be restoring him to his rightful and best position. Let's face it, he only played at fly-half this last season because Godman isn’t up to it and the only other alternative was two talented but untried EDP whelps. Greig has performed very well there, all things considered – he’s a great distributor, a fantastic reader of the game and a very talented all-round footballer. But, his kicking doesn’t have the length required to relieve pressure at international level, and he’s a wee bit wee to take up such a key place in the defensive line. He’s an absolutely outstanding scrum half, and he can use all his talents there to the full.

Weir has a siege gun of a boot. I’ve seen him kick from his own 5m line to the oppo 22 without breaking sweat. His distribution can improve, and is already very, very good. His defence is solid. He doesn’t have quite the range of inventive short-range kicking that Laidlaw does, but again, that can improve. Look at how he ran the show vs the Saxons in February. He attacked the line, his passing was good, his kicking was nerveless and he even scored a cracking solo try. He is often inhibited in a Glasgow shirt by having Graeme ‘the donkey’ Morrison outside him – I don’t know why people are ready to forgive NDL his sins for this reason, but are unwilling to see the evidence in front of their eyes and attribute Weir’s recent (slight) dip in form at least in part to Morrison’s reappearance in the Glasgow team.

We’ve had problems with our half-back combo for the Scotland team for years. The Laidlaw/Weir mix feels like a good, long term option to me, and I think it should be tried out in tour.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 4:42 pm

Absolutely dead on, Sensible - Laidlaw/Weir is the right pairing. Laidlaw has had a fantastic season at club level, but the experiment did not fare so well at international level (altho again the boshers in the 12 shirt didn't help)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 03 May 2012, 4:53 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Absolutely dead on, Sensible - Laidlaw/Weir is the right pairing. Laidlaw has had a fantastic season at club level, but the experiment did not fare so well at international level (altho again the boshers in the 12 shirt didn't help)

I agree that Laidlaw should be the long term SH for Scotland. Now that it looks like McKibben has a chance of being included in the Aus tour squad I don't think he's going to want to play for us. With Laidlaw at 9, Weir is the best option at 10. Jackson has gone backwards in recent months and his kicking is terrible. In my opinion he'll be lucky to be included on the tour. With Leonard hot on his heals he could find himself slipping further down the pecking order.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Weir has just been named in the Rabo Pro12 official Dream Team of the season, along with Tim Visser, David Denton and Tom Ryder.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 4:56 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Absolutely dead on, Sensible - Laidlaw/Weir is the right pairing. Laidlaw has had a fantastic season at club level, but the experiment did not fare so well at international level (altho again the boshers in the 12 shirt didn't help)

I agree that Laidlaw should be the long term SH for Scotland. Now that it looks like McKibben has a chance of being included in the Aus tour squad I don't think he's going to want to play for us. With Laidlaw at 9, Weir is the best option at 10. Jackson has gone backwards in recent months and his kicking is terrible. In my opinion he'll be lucky to be included on the tour. With Leonard hot on his heals he could find himself slipping further down the pecking order.
Leonard will be with Bennett on fES's beach OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 03 May 2012, 5:02 pm

My squad would be as follows:

Back three: Brown, Hogg, Visser, Jones, Evans, Sean Lamont,
Centres: De Luca, Ansbro, Dunbar, Scott
Half-backs: Weir, Laidlaw, Blair, Jackson (if it were my choice he wouldn't be allowed near the Glasgow team let alone Scotland but it isn't my choice and Robinson loves him so there's no point pretending otherwise), Cusiter
Back row: Denton, Barclay, Fusaro, Rennie, MacInally, Harley
Second row: Gray, Kellock, Gilchrist, Hamilton
Props: Cross, Murray, Shiells, Welsh
Hooker: Ford, MacArthur, Lawson
I'd also take Bennett as well as a 33rd man to get him included, if he's as good as people are saying he could be our BOD.We also need to prepare for the likes of Morrison, Vernon etc. Also I'd take De Luca outside a ball-playing 12 to see him properly.

For captain I'd suggest Gray, he is intimidating and inspirational and could be our captain for a good few years as well as that apart from Ford he's the only one who can be absolutely sure of their position (apart from Ford- not good enough at it during six-nations and Hogg who's too young). As an outside bet I'd choose De Luca who is the in form 13 and this may prevent his spontaneous moments of poor idiocy during games.

My team would be:
15. Hogg
14. Jones
13. Dunbar
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Weir
9. Blair
8. Denton
7. Rennie
6. Harley
5. Gray (captain)
4. Gilchrist
3. Cross
2. Ford
1. Welsh

16. Murray
17. MacArthur
18. Hamilton
19. MacInally (covers more positions than Barclay)
20. Laidlaw
21. Ansbro
22. Brown

On another note how annoyed must Harley be? He's performed consistently well for Glasgow for two seasons and been included in umpteen training squads yet in that time players have been played ahead of him from other positions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 5:17 pm

You know, I'm actually pretty happy with the future of the Scotland team, despite the poor 6N. We've got more and more good players coming through, and Edinburgh and Glasgow are getting stronger and stronger.

Just as long as Robinson gets his selections right...

Here's my squad

Back three - Brown, Hogg, Visser, Jones, S Lamont, M Evans
Centres - Scott, Dunbar, Ansbro, Grove
Fly-halves - Weir, Jackson
Scrum-halves - Blair, Laidlaw, Cusiter
Backrow - Denton, Harley, Rennie, Barclay, McInally
Locks - Gray, Gilchrist, Kellock, Hamilton, Ryder
Props - Welsh, Low, R Grant, Cross
Hooker - Ford, MacArthur, Lawson

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 03 May 2012, 6:54 pm

Why would you take Barclay but not Fusaro, Fusaro has been fantastic and kept Barclay out the 7 shirt and Barclay need a kick up the bottom.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 May 2012, 8:01 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Scot Abroad wrote:

Leonard will be with Bennett on fES's beach OK

It'll be nice for the two of them to build a sand castle together. If Bennett is lucky, Leonard may even tell him about what it is like playing real rugby, against professional rugby players....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 May 2012, 8:05 pm

As for the squad I posted earlier, I'd be easily persuaded to replace Leonard with Dunbar on reflection. On recent form Dunbar deserves to go.

I'm pretty easy on the 9/10 debate. On form Blair deserves the 9 shirt and Laidlaw the 10 shirt, but Weir at 10 and Laidlaw at 9 also works for me.

Nice options to have.

Hope Morrison has been given the nod to book his summer holidays.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 8:06 pm

You'll eat your words one day, young man!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 May 2012, 8:06 pm

123456789:

I'm a big fan of NDL, but not even I could endorse him for the captaincy....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 May 2012, 8:07 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:You'll eat your words one day, young man!
[list=1][*]

Either that or he'll get picked to play proper rugby, will prove himself and then merit selection, in which case I'll back him to the hilt Very Happy

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 8:18 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:His distribution can improve, and is already very, very good.

Where does this concensus come from? Weirs distribution is slow, laboured and for 90% of the game serves only to move the ball wide but not forward. Watch him take the ball, hes already slowing down by the time it comes to him, takes 2-3 steps, slows, turns and ships it along the line. Granted he actually attacks the line once-twice in a game, so he can do it, but at the moment he shows little more invention or ability to bring other players in than Parks.

I really dont care how good his kicking is, weve had almost ten years of a fly-half who was a good kicker, and he dragged scottish rugby into the dirt.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 May 2012, 8:51 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:His distribution can improve, and is already very, very good.

Where does this concensus come from? Weirs distribution is slow, laboured and for 90% of the game serves only to move the ball wide but not forward. Watch him take the ball, hes already slowing down by the time it comes to him, takes 2-3 steps, slows, turns and ships it along the line. Granted he actually attacks the line once-twice in a game, so he can do it, but at the moment he shows little more invention or ability to bring other players in than Parks.

I really dont care how good his kicking is, weve had almost ten years of a fly-half who was a good kicker, and he dragged scottish rugby into the dirt.

100% agree. I would rather an attacking fly half rather than another points machine. Weir has shown he can attack the line well, ala the Saxons game where he and Scotland A created an exciting brand of running rugby. Sad thing is, he doesn't play like that every game. If he did he would be the 1st name on my team sheet.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 May 2012, 8:55 am

Do you think Weir being paired with someone like Matt Scott would help with the backline distribution, if Chunky Weir is seeing as not being too good there?

I'd like to see more of Matt Scott's kicking game - he's been a standoff all his life until this season so surely he's got a decent boot on him. He's barely kicked from hand all season and it might help take some pressure off Laidlaw at 10 if he can give it to Matt to kick.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 9:04 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:You know, I'm actually pretty happy with the future of the Scotland team, despite the poor 6N. We've got more and more good players coming through, and Edinburgh and Glasgow are getting stronger and stronger.

Just as long as Robinson gets his selections right...

Here's my squad

Back three - Brown, Hogg, Visser, Jones, S Lamont, M Evans
Centres - Scott, Dunbar, Ansbro, Grove
Fly-halves - Weir, Jackson
Scrum-halves - Blair, Laidlaw, Cusiter
Backrow - Denton, Harley, Rennie, Barclay, McInally
Locks - Gray, Gilchrist, Kellock, Hamilton, Ryder
Props - Welsh, Low, R Grant, Cross
Hooker - Ford, MacArthur, Lawson

Big feicing IF! furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 04 May 2012, 9:25 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Do you think Weir being paired with someone like Matt Scott would help with the backline distribution, if Chunky Weir is seeing as not being too good there?

I'd like to see more of Matt Scott's kicking game - he's been a standoff all his life until this season so surely he's got a decent boot on him. He's barely kicked from hand all season and it might help take some pressure off Laidlaw at 10 if he can give it to Matt to kick.

Good point RDW. I'm delighted Scott hasnt been kicking and I'm sure that's 90% of the reason he's so near the starting 15. The fact he can kick will definitely take the pressure off whoever gets the 10 shirt. But like FES I'm not married to either the Blair / Laidlaw or the Laidlaw/ Weir option yet and I'm just chuffed we have options and a degree of flexibility. The battle for the 10 shirt will hopefully bring out the best in all 3 players.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next