The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

+28
Portnoy
Dave.
Thomond
perthshirepuma
Glas a du
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Ozzy3213
Biltong
Irish Londoner
littleswannygirl
Hound_of_Harrow
PJHolybloke
MrsP
prop_lyd
WillyGilly
Rava
PenfroPete
Suspicious lurker
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
Notch
red_stag
Gibson
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
eirebilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
32 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 16 May 2012, 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chin chin and welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat. The pub has arrived in London this week for the Heineken Cup final so has stocked up on cucumber sandwiches ( vomit - KRD ) and Pimms.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the pictures of Ruan Pienaar, Stephen Ferris, Jonathon Sexton, Rob Kearney and Jonny Wilkinson (the five nominees for the ERC Player of the Year award), Nigel Owens the HEC final referee or Adam Powell (captain of Llanelli RFC who are playing Ponty in the Welsh club final on Friday). The CCTV snaps of Prop_Lyd and the other Cardiff Saracens players on tour in Croatia are fair game though.

Ale coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Old Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t28922p950-barrel-s-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-restaurant-luderitz#1218292

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri 25 May 2012, 7:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

Post by WillyGilly Thu 17 May 2012, 9:47 am

Someone's cranky....
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

Post by red_stag Thu 17 May 2012, 9:48 am

Rodders, I think we do a New Years party in Belfast for Ulster v Munster?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 17 May 2012, 9:48 am

The result of too much tossing last night I think Willy Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 17 May 2012, 9:51 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Bore da pawb / good morning all, I'll have a cuppa if I may.

I'm with Ozzy on this one, Biltong - it's Friday Eve! Very Happy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
The rugby world according to Cookie Oosthuizen(ex Springbok prop).

It is largely unknown to players and followers of the modern game that rugby started off purely as a contest for forwards in opposition in line-outs, scrums, rucks and mauls. This pitted eight men of statuesque physique, supreme fitness and superior intelligence in packs against one another.
In those days, the winner was the pack that won the most set pieces. The debasement of the game began when backs were introduced. This occurred because a major problem was where to locate the next scrum or line-out.

Selecting positions on the ground for these had become a constant source of friction and even violence.

The problem was resolved by employing forward rejects, men of small stature and limited intelligence, to run aimlessly around within the field of play.

Following a set piece, the ball would be thrown to one of them, who would establish the next location either by dropping it or by throwing it to another reject for dropping. Very occasionally, a third reject would receive the ball before it would be dropped, and crowds would wildly cheer on these rare occasions. Initially these additional players were entirely disorganized but with the passing of time they adopted set positions.

For instance, take the half-back. He was usually one of the smallest and least intelligent of the backs whose role was simply to accept the ball from a forward and to pass it on to one of the other rejects who would drop it, providing the new location for the forwards to compete. He could easily (given his general size) have been called a quarter forward or a ball monkey but then tolerance and compassion are the keys to forward play and the present euphemism was decided on.

The five-eighth plays next to the half-back and his role is essentially the same except that when pressured, he usually panics and kicks the ball.
Normally, he is somewhat taller and slightly better built than the half-back and hence his name. One-eighth less and he would have been a half-back, three-eighths more and he might well have qualified to become a forward.
The centres were opportunists who had no expertise but wanted to share in the glamour associated with forward packs. After repeated supplication to the forwards for a role in the game they would be told to get out in the middle of the field and wait for instructions. Thus, when asked where they played, they would reply "in the centre". And they remain to this day, parasites and scroungers who mostly work as lawyers or used car dealers.

You may ask, why wingers? The answer is simple. Because these were players who had very little ability and were the lowest in the backline pecking order, they were placed as far away from the ball as possible. Consequently, and because the inside backs were so diligent in their assigned role of dropping the ball whenever they received it, the main contribution to the game made by the winger was not to get involved. Their instructions were to run away as quickly as possible whenever trouble appeared, and to avoid tackles at all costs. The fact that the game was organised so that the wingers didn't get to touch the ball led to an incessant flow of complaints from them and eventually the apt description "whingers" was applied. Even though the "h" dropped off over the years, the whingeing itself unfortunately has not.

Lastly, the full-back. This was the position given to the worst handler, the person least able to accept or pass the ball, someone who was always in the way. The name arose because the forwards would understandably become infuriated by the poor play invariably demonstrated by that person, and call out "send that fool back". He would then be relegated well out of everyone's way to the rear of the field.

So there you have it. Let's return to the glory days of a contest between two packs of eight men of statuesque physique, supreme fitness and superior intelligence.

Asbo, this is brilliant. Can you get me a link for it?

Here's the link: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/jakartakomodos/news/you-have-got-to-love-the-forwards-577996.html

And an addendum:

There was a time when the whingers were charged with the responsibility of throwing in at the lineout. This facilitated these statuesque gods of sport, the forwards, the opportunity for all sixteen to participate fully in competition. However, so inept were the underlings at this task that the forwards sent them sniveling back to obscurity and got on with the job themselves.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 May 2012, 9:51 am

Laugh He's good!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 17 May 2012, 9:56 am

Laugh Now you all know why I played at loose head prop. Whistle

Not only good looking, but statuesque in build (Ok that was a number of years ago), and highly intelligent.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 17 May 2012, 10:05 am

Mickado wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0517/1224316238462.html

Bloody southern journalists...

Shocked

I am totally shocked by this!

A strongly worded letter of complaint is being drafted immediately to be sent to the school.

mad

Reading that article has just informed me that their staff selection process is seriously flawed! It is very clear from reading this that my son's biology teacher is....I can hardly bring myself to type it.....a.......Munster fan!!!!!!!!

The shame.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 17 May 2012, 10:07 am

MrsP you should be grateful I bet he is an expert on turnips and other root vegetables.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 17 May 2012, 10:13 am

I think the least said about that the better Stag!

I tell you he's in for a tough time at the next Parent Teacher interviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biltong,

Is it not really difficult for the wee lads to kick penalties etc? Never mind they are so young but they play barefoot!

That's gotta hurt!

Last edited by MrsP on Thu 17 May 2012, 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 17 May 2012, 10:15 am

MrsP, yes, it isn't all that easy, for them to kick barefeet a distance of 30 meters is not easy, however I must tell you the oppisition kicker got two out of three kicks over, so it isn't impossible.

I was watching our flyhalf yesterday and he kicks with his toe, like in the old days. Never going to work at his age.

I am going to see if my son can kick, not sure he can, but they almost lost yesterday due to those missed kicks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 17 May 2012, 10:18 am

Don't worry Lucky....no exercise is happening on tour, just some dune buggy races!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 10:29 am

furious furious furious
censored censored censored

Sorry folks!! Had to get that off my chest.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 10:34 am

Morning all Very Happy
Great day for some cricket. I am off in a bit to the other forum to talk cricket. Have a great day all Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:37 am

Somthing vexes thee Rava???
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 10:39 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Someone vexes thee Rava???

I'm afraid so Pete. He's called Clive Rolling Eyes
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 17 May 2012, 10:41 am

Woodward?!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 17 May 2012, 10:41 am

Big breaths Rava!

In..2...3...4...5

And......

Out....2...3...4...5.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 10:44 am

Thanks Mrs. P.
A small brandy would help.

Unfortunately there are those who will read his comments and think this is the "true Ulster supporter" Crying or Very sad

I can't believe he gets upset when southern journos write some of the crap they do. He feeds their frenzy ffs.

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 17 May 2012, 10:46 am

I'm not sure there is enough Brandy in the world Rava!

Doh

censored

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 17 May 2012, 10:47 am

I just it Rava, its a funny reaction to have isnt it.

There were plenty of "Lunsters" out there. Its logicial that there will be "Lulsters too".

I think he needs to do some serious thinking. Remember his rant about how children should not be at matches if there are adults who want to go instead of them ahead of quarter final.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:50 am

I remember that Stag, what's he saying to annoy people now?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 10:54 am

Which thread?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 10:55 am

I do Stag. He comes across quite aggressive at times (my perception of course)

The pacifist in me wants to shake the hell out of him Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 10:55 am

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:05 am

Come on guys, although clive has had a few.. strong.. words to say about the whole situation (which I do not agree with) I don't think it is fair to be bitching about him on a part of the forum he may not know to read himself. I would say what you have to say about him on the thread that this has to do with. Plus somewhere he can read it for himself.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 11:09 am

Jeebus Rav... Almost scared to say i will supporting Ulster this weekend now Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 11:14 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Come on guys, although clive has had a few.. strong.. words to say about the whole situation (which I do not agree with) I don't think it is fair to be bitching about him on a part of the forum he may not know to read himself. I would say what you have to say about him on the thread that this has to do with. Plus somewhere he can read it for himself.

Rory I haven't said anything in here that I didn't say on the other thread. He is free to access any part of this forum as he wishes, just as you have.

Billy, glad to have you on board mate guinness

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 11:16 am

Not anymore Rav, you Ulster fans are terrible Wink Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 17 May 2012, 11:17 am

If an Leinster person supports Munster they're a Lunster, a Munster man supporting Ulster would be a Mulster?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:18 am

Okay, but stuff like this; "Remember his rant about how children should not be at matches if there are adults who want to go instead of them ahead of quarter final" just seems like childish bitching and having a pop at someone. I realise it wasn't you that said that, but I just think if you guys have something to say actually say it to him. Might help the guy wise up anyway.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:20 am

Mickado wrote:If an Leinster person supports Munster they're a Lunster, a Munster man supporting Ulster would be a Mulster?

And if a Connacht fan supported Munster they would be called.. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 17 May 2012, 11:24 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Okay, but stuff like this; "Remember his rant about how children should not be at matches if there are adults who want to go instead of them ahead of quarter final" just seems like childish bitching and having a pop at someone. I realise it wasn't you that said that, but I just think if you guys have something to say actually say it to him. Might help the guy wise up anyway.

I said it to him at the time Rory. To be fair he has backpedalled on his stance on that thread. I've told him well done on retracting his statements as they refelected badly on Ulster fans.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:26 am

Well, it was in the past, so no point bringing it up to have a dig now stag, especially behind his back.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 11:29 am

it's a public forum rory, all content is available to anyone to read so it isn't behind anyone's back Smile

And morning all/bore da, have had a lush relaxing lie in, and I've actually had a nice conversation with the council tax people Shocked (that never usually happens!). They are going to refund me a weeks worth of payment as I shan't actually be here living in the flat the last week of May Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 17 May 2012, 11:30 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Mickado wrote:If an Leinster person supports Munster they're a Lunster, a Munster man supporting Ulster would be a Mulster?

And if a Connacht fan supported Munster they would be called.. Wink

Conster?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:34 am

rugbydreamer wrote:it's a public forum rory, all content is available to anyone to read so it isn't behind anyone's back Smile

And morning all/bore da, have had a lush relaxing lie in, and I've actually had a nice conversation with the council tax people Shocked (that never usually happens!). They are going to refund me a weeks worth of payment as I shan't actually be here living in the flat the last week of May Very Happy

I realise that, but my point is, would you be happy if I went onto a different thread you may not know about and talked badly about you? I certainly wouldn't. I just think the people with something to say, can say it on the thread that is relevant.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 11:36 am

rugbydreamer wrote:it's a public forum rory, all content is available to anyone to read so it isn't behind anyone's back Smile

Yeah even dreamers made up words Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 17 May 2012, 11:40 am

That's a fair enough point, Rory.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 11:41 am

now now Billy, you know they are real words, just because I proved you wrong raspberry

and I always post as though my mam is reading this (which coincidentally, she does). I reckon if everyone posted as though their mam's were reading, MAYHAP there would be a lot less trouble on the forums Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu 17 May 2012, 11:41 am

Ah lads leave Rory alone, he makes a valid point to be fair
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 11:42 am

I see your point Rory OK Just don't really think it's being done behind anyone's back is all Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 11:43 am

Dreamer, you make up words, create an account on dictionary.com and put the words there.

I know your game young lady, you're not fooling me...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu 17 May 2012, 11:45 am

Dreamers Mam,

Now I know you read this forum and there are something you need to know. Shovey Lovey has been keeping some stuff from you. Now its not up to me to tell you what going on, but if she's not big enough to tell you these things herself its not my fault, but you really need to sit her down and have a chat .

That is all

Please and thank you

Your friendly neighbourhood watch-dog
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 11:48 am

Ah c'mon Hughie, I already told her about the time I actually supported Munster in a match. Sure she was shocked, but we've both moved on now.

Billy - laughing I would not go to that much effort!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:50 am

rugbydreamer wrote:now now Billy, you know they are real words, just because I proved you wrong raspberry

and I always post as though my mam is reading this (which coincidentally, she does). I reckon if everyone posted as though their mam's were reading, MAYHAP there would be a lot less trouble on the forums Very Happy

I think I should take a leaf out of your book then. Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 17 May 2012, 11:52 am

What, make up your own words too Rory? Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 11:56 am

Righty, am off out now, meeting a friend for coffee and cake (well siocled poeth/hot chocolate for moi) before I have to brave the shops.

Have lovely afternoons all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 11:56 am

Rory only knows two words. "Back Row" Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 17 May 2012, 11:58 am

Rava wrote:Rory only knows two words. "Back Row" Very Happy

You know, I was wondering if anyone was ever going to pick up on how many of my posts have to do with the backrow. Laugh

I guess it is because I myself play there. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 May 2012, 12:46 pm

red_stag wrote:Rodders, I think we do a New Years party in Belfast for Ulster v Munster?

Sorry stag...was busy there inciting a riot on the Ulster threads.... yeah sounds good to me! OK guinness

Aren't we in Limerick this year though?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next