The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread

+69
Gretgael1
John Cregan
kiakahaaotearoa
red_stag
Rava
MMC
Pete330v2
Mickado
Sin é
Feckless Rogue
KiaRose
Irishhoneymonster
The Bachelor
sheephead
disneychilly
brennomac
stevetynant
pete (buachaill on eirne)
sean.c
Notch
logie28
The Great Aukster
Duty281
Golden
aucklandlaurie
emack2
Suspicious lurker
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
blackcanelion
GunsGerms
BoyneRFC
Standulstermen
stormers1
Fantasticbarnsmell
jamesandimac
LeinsterFan4life
sirtidychris
bedfordwelsh
funnyExiledScot
Otagolad
Biltong
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
chewed_mintie
TycroesOsprey
Taylorman
gregortree
George Carlin
mystiroakey
Rory_Gallagher
nathan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
yappysnap
Geordie
rhonddasmackhead
eirebilly
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
Hookisms and Hyperbole
GavinDragon
EnglishReign
clivemcl
Cari
Gibson
offload
doctor_grey
rodders
Thomond
Pal Joey
73 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread - Page 11 Empty Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread

Post by Pal Joey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Venue for the 2nd test: AMI Stadium (Addington) - formerly Rugby League Park Christchurch
Capacity: 26,000 incl. temporary seating
Weather http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2192362

Current forecast for Saturday evening is around 3 degrees C and light rain.

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Adam Thomson, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Sam Cane, Ali Williams, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith
[/quote]

Irish team:
15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
6 - Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster)
18 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread

Post by Mickado Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm

rodders wrote:
Not sure if any noticed but Sexton wasn't happy about moving to centre last week... there was a bit of a barney between him, ROG and BOD before he reluctantly moved outside BOD?..... boxing

I didn’t notice that at all.

It didn’t affect his influence on the game, but it’s not something I’d like to see us start with.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Ireland v New Zealand 2nd Test Live Match Thread

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

Mickado wrote:
rodders wrote:
Not sure if any noticed but Sexton wasn't happy about moving to centre last week... there was a bit of a barney between him, ROG and BOD before he reluctantly moved outside BOD?..... boxing

It didn’t affect his influence on the game, but it’s not something I’d like to see us start with.

The NZ commentators highlighted at the time that Sexton wasn't looking terribly impressed by the change - certainly by the expression on his face he wasn't happy about something.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Mickado wrote:
rodders wrote:

The NZ commentators highlighted at the time that Sexton wasn't looking terribly impressed by the change - certainly by the expression on his face he wasn't happy about something.

It was also mentioned in the Guardian Blog as well. Said it looked like BOD had to go over to him and tell him to cop on.
If O'Gara behaved like that, we'd never hear the end of it. Wink

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Mickado wrote:
rodders wrote:

Kiwi, he just looks like a moody child all the time. His face is stuck like that.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

A long walk down CopTheFeckOn Avenue is in order then. He plays where he’s needed to play.

At the time I did think it was an odd substitution, I thought we should have brought on Zebo and moved McFadden to center. It worked well though.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

Sexton has a long way to go before he displays the unprofessionalism of Nigel Owen's on twitter this week.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

The point isn't about inconveniencing Paddy Wallace - it's about Kidney not having the first clue how to manage his squad.
Earls gets injured - DK calls up a mediocre fullback who hasn't played for 6 weeks.
D'Arcy gets injured - DK calls up a player who won't make the next RWC and hasn't played for a month. He has to fly out, get over jet lag and then work some moves with the team and is expected to perform? What could be more disruptive? There is no way he should be in the 22. The whole point of a tour party is to cover injury, yet twice now one injury has forced Kidney to fly someone in!

Kidney's original tour selection has been shown up to be seriously flawed and he has compounded those mistakes with his call-ups.
- He should have left ROG at home and taken Madigan. This would have shown some compassion to a great servant of Ireland. Madigan is also decent full back cover and maybe centre as well so is a good bench option.
- He should have taken Paddy Wallace at the outset, who has done well in the past against the ABs, and offers 10 cover and some 15 cover.
- When Earls got injured he should have called Wallace up instead of Duffy. Obviously DK considered D'Arcy as 15 cover as Duffy wasn't in the 22 last week. Wallace could have been an alternative IC and a 10 bench option, if Kidney wanted to start Sexton at 12.
- If Kidney was seriously considering Paddy Jackson as cover from the JWC pre-tour then why not consider Hanrahan or Farrell who at least are match fit?
- Why can't Cave play 12? He is the closest match to D'Arcy in the squad defensively, which is GDA's prime asset these days.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

Yeah I didn't noticed until I rewatched it Kiwi with the NZ commentry. I was much better actually, they picked up on loads the sky commentators didn't.

I thought maybe thats why Sexton moved to outside center so BOD could keep the two boys apart..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Sexton has a long way to go before he displays the unprofessionalism of Nigel Owen's on twitter this week.

I COMPLETELY agree. Very disappointed with that.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm

Mickado wrote:
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Sexton has a long way to go before he displays the unprofessionalism of Nigel Owen's on twitter this week.

I COMPLETELY agree. Very disappointed with that.
What happened?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

How'd you get the Kiwi commentary Rodders?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

What did Nigel Owens do on Twitter.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

What did he say Hook?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:How'd you get the Kiwi commentary Rodders?

Thomond posted a you tube link, not sure where it is now. Maybe drop him a PM or check back over his posts...think it was Sunday?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

Basically Liam Toland wrote an article about the inconsistencies of the calls that Owens made. He looked at precise incidents, gave a time that they happened etc.

Then Owens had a little rant on Twitter saying that he was wrong and that he should have asked for clarification on certain points but if he did then there would have been nothing to write about. But he didn’t actually say WHY Toland was wrong, he just had a moan.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

Try this aukster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqJ-KxVMRPc&list=UULDuHINtL5GN1PMroNv-hxQ&index=1&feature=plcp
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:39 pm

There's a link to Tolands original article in here too...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0619/1224318193236.html

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

rodders wrote:Yeah I didn't noticed until I rewatched it Kiwi with the NZ commentry. I was much better actually, they picked up on loads the sky commentators didn't.

I thought maybe thats why Sexton moved to outside center so BOD could keep the two boys apart..... Whistle

One thing that BoD showed at 12 was you don't need to be a beast like Jamie Roberts to make an impact with crash ball,if you start your run early and hit a good line at top speed then you're going to be very hard to stop.Obviously this is easier said than done and BoD is more likely to get it right than most just because he's so good but I hope some of the smaller centres in Ireland have a look at what he did there and truy to replicate it.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm

rodders wrote:Try this aukster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqJ-KxVMRPc&list=UULDuHINtL5GN1PMroNv-hxQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Thanks

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:43 pm

I was pretty happy with Owens to be honest. I'm sure you could find calls to question, you always can but he gave us a fair crack of the whip and didn't allow McCaw or the crowd to influence him too much...which sometimes happens in NZ.

He was fair enough for both sides and thats all you can ask for I think.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

Read Toland's original piece at;
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0618/1224318139461.html

Owens was supposedly enraged by this and took to Twitter to voice his disapproval that Toland would question him. It's Trappatoni-esque in its crassness, basically how could this guy question me if he isn't a referee.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0618/1224318171134.html

The Irish Times then do a follow up at;
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0619/1224318193236.html

Brian Moore had something pretty accurate to say about the refereeing of the scrum on Twitter this week. http://twitter.com/Glawwster/statuses/213933394336288769

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

Completely different situation (though I don't have a problem with Owens on twitter), but refs don't play a team sport (and Sexton's team mate had just got injured). I wouldn't accept that kind of carry-on if he was being substituted, let alone just moved.

Hope the same people who very critical of Earls saying he wants to play 13, being equally critical of Sexton for having to move for 20 mins to inside centre.

Looks like Kidney has a right prima donna on his hands with Sexton.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:48 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
One thing that BoD showed at 12 was you don't need to be a beast like Jamie Roberts to make an impact with crash ball,if you start your run early and hit a good line at top speed then you're going to be very hard to stop.

I though he was in inspired form asore, made a couple of really good a half bursts through the midfield, making decent gains and getting us on the front foot...Sexton made a brilliant line break too off an O'Mahoney offload (Pity Bowe wasn't outside him Wink).

Three big differences this week though:

1 Murrays service was quicker
2 Sexton and ROG were a lot flatter to the gainline and the rest of the backs were coming from depth
3 We varied the game much more, using the pick and go and up and unders to really good effect.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm

Sin é wrote:

Completely different situation (though I don't have a problem with Owens on twitter), but refs don't play a team sport (and Sexton's team mate had just got injured). I wouldn't accept that kind of carry-on if he was being substituted, let alone just moved.

Hope the same people who very critical of Earls saying he wants to play 13, being equally critical of Sexton for having to move for 20 mins to inside centre.

Really Sin you're trying to start yet another Sexton slagging match?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:52 pm

Sin é wrote:Looks like Kidney has a right prima donna on his hands with Sexton.

Laugh Sin I don't care if Sexton looks for evian and fresh flowers in the changing room, if he carries on playing like that then that'll do for me! OK Very Happy guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

Sin é wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
Mickado wrote:
rodders wrote:

It was also mentioned in the Guardian Blog as well. Said it looked like BOD had to go over to him and tell him to cop on.
If O'Gara behaved like that, we'd never hear the end of it. Wink

If thats true then I'd say (to quote Red Stag):

"Honest to god if he was moaning and grumbling in that manner I would never want to see he play for Ireland again."

thumbsup

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

OK
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

rodders wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
One thing that BoD showed at 12 was you don't need to be a beast like Jamie Roberts to make an impact with crash ball,if you start your run early and hit a good line at top speed then you're going to be very hard to stop.

I though he was in inspired form asore, made a couple of really good a half bursts through the midfield, making decent gains and getting us on the front foot...Sexton made a brilliant line break too off an O'Mahoney offload (Pity Bowe wasn't outside him Wink).

Three big differences this week though:

1 Murrays service was quicker
2 Sexton and ROG were a lot flatter to the gainline and the rest of the backs were coming from depth
3 We varied the game much more, using the pick and go and up and unders to really good effect.

Yeah it was an improved performance all round,that said there is still huge scope for improvement in our attacking game and our set piece was weak in the first half (I'm including restarts in that but scrum and lineout were both less than perfect).

On the Sexton break Savea rushed up to cut off the pass and Sexton chose the right option with the kick behind but didn't execute it very well,that was a certain try if he got that right.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

I agree. ROG has to start. Please!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:Looks like Kidney has a right prima donna on his hands with Sexton.

Laugh Sin I don't care if Sexton looks for evian and fresh flowers in the changing room, if he carries on playing like that then that'll do for me! OK Very Happy guinness

I heard he has to have the red M&Ms taken out of the packets for him because he just hates Munster so much. Someone also has to count how many are in the bowl in case they are in multiples of ten because its part of an Illuminati plot to get O'Gara in the side ahead of him. I think the Pope is involved. And Elvis is riding on the back of Shergar wearing a 'I shot Kennedy' T-Shirt, with the whole operation financed by Lord Lucan who is living in NASA's studio where they filmed the moon landings.

Oh, and he doesn't like George Hook but loves when Popey says he catchphrases. He likes 'never give a sucker an even break'. That's his favourite.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:58 pm

It must have been hard for him to be told where to go after his glorious season with Leinster though.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I agree. ROG has to start. Please!

Start with Donald and you have a deal.... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Really Sin you're trying to start yet another Sexton slagging match?

So we should now regard any similar criticism of Earls & ROG as someone just starting another Earls/ROG slagging match?
Just pointing out that if ROG had behaved as poorly as that, someone would have started a thread on it which is something I haven't done Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

Why is IrishRugby Facebook saying happy birthday to Dave Kearney. Do they normally say happy birthday to every irish player?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Yeah it was an improved performance all round,that said there is still huge scope for improvement in our attacking game and our set piece was weak in the first half (I'm including restarts in that but scrum and lineout were both less than perfect).

Totally agree, in all the excitment its been forgotten that we lost a few of our early scrums and quite a few lineouts. First one was one against the head and then we conceded yet another free kick for the early engagement.

Best had two or three overthrows at the lineout and the ABs stole one on our throw.

Restarts not handled well again. Two loose kicks from BOD again. 2 or 3 soft penalties conceded.

Theres loads to work on, we can be better and we'll need to be.

Another huge difference second time round is that we scored first and never let the ABs get a 2 score lead... the ABs prefer to counterattack, thrive off it and we have to avoid letting them get ahead the way they did in the first test.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:07 pm

When ROG came on did he say - 'Move over sonny, Ireland need a real man at the helm?'

Luckily Sonny Bill didn't hear him.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

clivemcl wrote:Why is IrishRugby Facebook saying happy birthday to Dave Kearney. Do they normally say happy birthday to every irish player?

No they don't do it for Paddy Wallace.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

Linebreaker wrote:It must have been hard for him to be told where to go after his glorious season with Leinster though.

Its about time he grew up then and realised that its a team sport. The team comes first.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

Sin é wrote:

So we should now regard any similar criticism of Earls & ROG as someone just starting another Earls/ROG slagging match?
Just pointing out that if ROG had behaved as poorly as that, someone would have started a thread on it which is something I haven't done Wink

Only if that person has a history of criticising Earls or Rog.

Who would have started this thread?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:19 pm

Sin é wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:It must have been hard for him to be told where to go after his glorious season with Leinster though.

Its about time he grew up then and realised that its a team sport. The team comes first.

Do you boo everytime sexton touches the ball?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

Sin é wrote:

Advice you could heed too.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

On that note I'm done feeding the troll.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND we’re done.

This thread is now a “Sexton is a prima donna” slagging match. tip of the cap to you sin, you’ve done it again.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:56 pm

True Mickado and all that on the back of conjecture on the part of the posters and the NZ commentators with no evidence whatsoever that it actually happened.

Still Sin é has never needed a valid reason in the past.

Oh and at least it took the heat off "poor" Paddy Wallace Whistle
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

I do wish Kidney would back Sexton to play a full game once in a while though. It would help him a lot I feel and no doubt he's earned it with both provincial and international form.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

I should apologise then Rava because the original conjecture was on my part.... but as it's an interesting talking point, at least compared to discussing whether Paddy Wallace would rather hold tackle bags and carry Ronan O'Gara's kit bag in the NZ rain, than sip sangria in his bermuda shorts surrounded by screaming kids, I feel reasonably well vindicated for bringing it up...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Do you boo everytime sexton touches the ball?

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Advice you could heed too.

Thanks guys. guinness guinness
Sin - where's you sense if humour, mun? picard

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

Why is it that subs only ever get called up to hold 'tackle bags'.
Is it that the Irish team does nothing but practice tackling in training?
OR
By holding a first teamer's tackle bag, does it reinforce to them the need to increase both the enormity and quality of their own tackle in order to come into Test consideration?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

rodders wrote:I should apologise then Rava because the original conjecture was on my part.... but as it's an interesting talking point, at least compared to discussing whether Paddy Wallace would rather hold tackle bags and carry Ronan O'Gara's kit bag in the NZ rain, than sip sangria in his bermuda shorts surrounded by screaming kids, I feel reasonably well vindicated for bringing it up...... Whistle

Two things there Rodders.

1. Paddy is out as cover for centre so Jonny Sexton will have to continue to carry ROG's kit for a while longer, and
2. I've seen Paddy with his kids. They do not scream.

Oh, and maybe it's Pina Colada's he would be sipping, in keeping with his relationship with DK Whistle
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

Feic! Nice one Rava! I'll spend the rest of day with Pina colada song in my head now.... steam
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next