The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

+9
Liam
monty junior
JamesLincs
Leff
Postie
GSC
azania
mystiroakey
Duty281
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Jun - 16:05

First topic message reminder :

Germany v Greece (Friday 22nd June, ITV 1, 19:45 KO)

The pre-tournament favourites Germany made light work of the Group of Death, dispatching Portugal 1-0, Holland 2-1 and Denmark 2-1. Germany are now heavy favourites for this Quarter-Final which, if they win, would book their fourth consecutive semi-final at a major tournament. Their opponents are Greece who somehow finished 2nd in Group A after a 1-0 win over Russia made up for defeat against the Czechs and a draw against the Poles. It really is David v Goliath this one and the winners will play England/Italy.

My prediction: Germany 3-0 Greece

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by mystiroakey Fri 22 Jun - 22:15

no in this tourny.. still good- but he has looked abit nervy

best lb past 10 years

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Germany v Greece, Quarter Final, Build up and Match Thread

Post by Leff Fri 22 Jun - 22:23

IMO, Lahm and Cole are about equally good.

Not limiting to Europe, the Brazilians, Dani Alves and Macon are probably even tighter and versatile.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun - 22:34

Regarding Lahm the one game that really sticks in my mind was the Euro 2008 final when he was being ripped to shreds by the Spanish frontline and Torres in particular and so much so he was replaced at half time.

He's obviously improved since but I'd still put him a level below Cole in terms of the past five years but then Cole is a freak of a footballer and easily the best left back to have ever played for England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 22 Jun - 23:23

I didn't pay close attention that the question was about left full-backs. I realise Alves and Maicon mostly run on the right.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 22 Jun - 23:30

I think Lham is a better player than he was in 2008. The guy oozes class and made Robben look a little stupid in the last game. He also had Ronaldo in his pocket in the semi final vs Madrid. That said, Cole for has been the best LB over the last decade as FreekShow said.

What really strikes me about Germany after tonight is the crop of players coming through atm:

Goetze
Shruulle
Reus
Kroos

I mean there are some very good players there. Ozil was simply superb tonight. For me he is an unsung hero for Madrid. Ronaldo obviously get's the plaudits, rightly so, but Ozil has been brilliant for Madrid and for Germany.

Germany showed tonight they can be vulnerable to the counter attack tonight and should England get through, I think they will have a great chance of beating Germany adopting a counter attacking game. That would need Walcott to play to fully exploit, but then do you take the chance with Lham rampaging down the left hand side and drop the defensive work of Milner. Anyway, let's just beat Italy first obviously haha.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 22 Jun - 23:46

Reus played beautifully here. He may not start in the next match though.

It's nice problem they have of too many good players to choose from.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Sat 23 Jun - 0:09

That was worryingly efficient from the Champions elect.

Am actually concerned that "if" we beat Italy, we'll get hammered in the semis. Rolling Eyes

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun - 7:42

postie stop being so feicking negative

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Sat 23 Jun - 12:02

mystiroakey wrote:postie stop being so feicking negative

haha, sorry. Very Happy

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun - 12:31

I can't stand negative people on here. It was Greece who are appaling. If anything the Germans looked very dodgy at the back and Rooney and co. would cause problems. Of course the Germans would be favourites but we would certainly not 'get hammered' with these tactics being used compared to how open we were in 2010. I think Terry & Lescott would handle Gomez pretty comfortably as he has no pace and very unpredictable. Obviously the main issue will be Ozil and whether or not Parker can do a job on him unlike Barry.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though.

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 23 Jun - 13:03

Gomez isn't that slow, he's certainly much quicker than Terry. Did anyone see his race with Ibra, embarassing Shocked

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 23 Jun - 13:20

In all due respect Postie the England wingers and forwards could cause Germany a bit more panic than the Greece starters did. If it happens it will be lot closer than the 2010 match, Germany will still get through to the final though, they are the 2nd best in the world at this moment to Spain.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun - 14:21

chin

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun - 14:27

Germany do look susceptible at the back. Take advantage of it now because Hummels is improving. I think he misses Subotic beside him. Never been too convinced by Badstuber anyway, get Howedes on!

So, Germany have got 6 players they can play up front that will get them goals. Be afraid, be very afraid. Every team will play 1 bad game and I think that was Germany's.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 23 Jun - 14:56

Wouldn't say it was a bad performance at all, i wouldnt fancy anyone except the Germans to score four against the Greeks as they are very tough to play against and don't conceded many goals, just check they're qualifying records since Euro 2004. They never lose more than two goals.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun - 19:07

TSC do you think that was a bad performance by the germans!!??

How could you be so wrong? , why is your mindset the way it is?

greece got a goal on the break- something that the attcking team(82% first half ) is allways susepticle to. The consolation goal- was exactly that at game over.

That performace was first rate and by far the best there have been this tourny. Greece are very tough to break down- scoring 4 against them is bordering on impossible unless you are at 100%

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun - 19:11

Errr no I never said that at all. I just said they look susceptible at the back, not that they played badly.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun - 19:14

"Every team will play 1 bad game and I think that was Germany's."

really??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun - 19:16

mystiroakey wrote:"Every team will play 1 bad game and I think that was Germany's."

really??

They played "badly" but actually played well. Schweinsteiger gave it away often, the defense looked shaky, Georgios Samaras scored but they still won 4-2. They were below par but won comfortably.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun - 19:19

that was what i argued- infact as i said i thought it was there best performance- therefore i couldnt understand how you came to the conclusion that is was there one bad performance(if there is such a thing!!)- when i have seen them play every other game worse(not bad at all- but worse)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 23 Jun - 19:25

And I came to that conclusion because of the defence; not the midfield or strikers who looked very good barring Schweinsteiger (although he will bounce back of course). I think the one thing Germany lack is a proper 1st choice RB/LB (Lahm can play either side so they need another FB). Boateng doesn't convince me.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 23 Jun - 19:42

greeces first goal was a foul by samaras which led to a tap in, the other a penalty. im lead to believe the germans havent been all that solid at the back at all so far. so it sounds to me as though it was the same kind of performance the germans have had all tournament so far.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun - 20:09

I don't think Germany have looked shaky at all in this tournament, certainly no more than most teams. In fact they probably have one of the best defences in the tournament.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Jun - 20:14

they are just a very good team and havent played a bad game.. when you score 4 you can let in two. when you score 1 you cant let in any- its the way it is

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 23 Jun - 20:35

The penalty was very kind, the referee was being very kind to the Greeks.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3