The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

+35
Marky
Hulking_up
SirJohnnyEnglish
CFCNick
Small Time
mobilemaster8
Ent
Bull
Trebs
Colan (niner)
whocares
Liam
TopoftheChops
The_Enigma
Kay Fabe
Duty281
Mat
monty junior
jbeadlesbigrighthand
LastDamnation
Nakatomi Plaza
MIG
compelling and rich
GSC
westisbest
TopHat24/7
Hero
NickisBHAFC
kingraf
Holymiky
Fernando
The Special Juan
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
39 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 21 Empty 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Want a couple more big deals before it closes.

Rooney
Lewandowski
Bale
Suarez

May all still be leaving.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 21 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

Post by Duty281 Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Stewart Downing, the most underrated player in the PL. The move to West Ham, coupled with less pressure than he would be under at England's greatest club, should hopefully reignite his career, and boost his flagging England prospects.

He'll certainly have a big target to aim for in the box at any rate!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 21 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

Post by Mat Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Some interesting points raised here. Firstly, we definitely needed a striker. We lost Lukaku and Fortune from our choice of 4 forwards, so we definitely needed to bring two in. There's no way Odemwingie would have started this season as first choice striker because he didn't last season, with Long and then Lukaku preferred. That's one of the reasons he wanted to leave as he was forced to play wide. There's no point mentioning him in regards to this season as even if he doesn't leave, he will not play under Clarke again.

I think the Vydra signing is a good one for Albion. Yes he's on loan but considering Udinese were demanding 10 million at one point, then I think for Albion to get him on loan is a very reasonable bit of business. I've seen a video of all the goals he scored last season for Watford and he looks as if he will fit into our style of play very well, as a lot of his goals came through counter-attacking, much like many of ours did. He's not Lukaku, but no-one should expect him to be so what's the problem there?

I'd be very surprised to see him start the season as 1st choice striker, particularly as he is yet to train with the rest of the squad. It wouldn't surprise me if it took him a month or so to break into the starting XI consistently. Anelka is pretty much nailed on as a first choice, he's our highest earner ever so I don't think he will be coming to spend time on the bench. He will surprise a lot of people this season, I am very confident of that. He's changed his game but is still a very good finisher, he will score goals against the lesser teams.

Lukaku hardly started a game up to Christmas, when we were at our best coincidentally, but many seem to have forgotten that and quite frankly, I think are over-playing Lukaku's influence last season. He is a fantastic player and was a great bit of business but he was far from being the only reason why we had such a successful year last season and I think it's a very simplistic view to suggest we'll plummet down the table just because he isn't there.

To me, Rosenberg is very much a back-up option for Long and Anelka. He's done well in pre season and couldn't really get a chance last year so it's harsh to write him off, he's done well enough to convince Clarke etc that he is worth keeping on for another season but there is no way he will be the man who Albion rely on this season up front.

Not sure about those saying we will be in trouble this season, though I'm not overly surprised as the same was said last season after we lost Roy, now it seems people are saying that because we've lost Lukaku. I'd have thought last season would have proved we are capable of moving on from losing a significant, but not the only, facter in a successful season.

As for Downing, I think he's a very good signing for West Ham. Always liked him at Boro and had a begrudging admiration of him during his Villa days. Didn't work out Liverpool, the price tag probably didn't help him with that. But I think West Ham have picked up a bargain there and someone who will fit in really well with how Sam likes to play, getting it wide and providing good service for the likes of Carroll and Nolan to feed off. I do wonder where it leaves players like Joe Cole, Collison etc as you can't fit them all into 1 team and not they'll be happy sitting on the bench, but nice problem to have.

Rant over Smile

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Mat wrote:As for Downing, I think he's a very good signing for West Ham. Always liked him at Boro and had a begrudging admiration of him during his Villa days. Didn't work out Liverpool, the price tag probably didn't help him with that. But I think West Ham have picked up a bargain there and someone who will fit in really well with how Sam likes to play, getting it wide and providing good service for the likes of Carroll and Nolan to feed off. I do wonder where it leaves players like Joe Cole, Collison etc as you can't fit them all into 1 team and not they'll be happy sitting on the bench, but nice problem to have.
 One which I have never known us to have!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Mat wrote:Some interesting points raised here. Firstly, we definitely needed a striker. We lost Lukaku and Fortune from our choice of 4 forwards, so we definitely needed to bring two in. There's no way Odemwingie would have started this season as first choice striker because he didn't last season, with Long and then Lukaku preferred. That's one of the reasons he wanted to leave as he was forced to play wide. There's no point mentioning him in regards to this season as even if he doesn't leave, he will not play under Clarke again.

I think the Vydra signing is a good one for Albion. Yes he's on loan but considering Udinese were demanding 10 million at one point, then I think for Albion to get him on loan is a very reasonable bit of business. I've seen a video of all the goals he scored last season for Watford and he looks as if he will fit into our style of play very well, as a lot of his goals came through counter-attacking, much like many of ours did. He's not Lukaku, but no-one should expect him to be so what's the problem there?

I'd be very surprised to see him start the season as 1st choice striker, particularly as he is yet to train with the rest of the squad. It wouldn't surprise me if it took him a month or so to break into the starting XI consistently. Anelka is pretty much nailed on as a first choice, he's our highest earner ever so I don't think he will be coming to spend time on the bench. He will surprise a lot of people this season, I am very confident of that. He's changed his game but is still a very good finisher, he will score goals against the lesser teams.

Lukaku hardly started a game up to Christmas, when we were at our best coincidentally, but many seem to have forgotten that and quite frankly, I think are over-playing Lukaku's influence last season. He is a fantastic player and was a great bit of business but he was far from being the only reason why we had such a successful year last season and I think it's a very simplistic view to suggest we'll plummet down the table just because he isn't there.

To me, Rosenberg is very much a back-up option for Long and Anelka. He's done well in pre season and couldn't really get a chance last year so it's harsh to write him off, he's done well enough to convince Clarke etc that he is worth keeping on for another season but there is no way he will be the man who Albion rely on this season up front.

Not sure about those saying we will be in trouble this season, though I'm not overly surprised as the same was said last season after we lost Roy, now it seems people are saying that because we've lost Lukaku. I'd have thought last season would have proved we are capable of moving on from losing a significant, but not the only, facter in a successful season.

As for Downing, I think he's a very good signing for West Ham. Always liked him at Boro and had a begrudging admiration of him during his Villa days. Didn't work out Liverpool, the price tag probably didn't help him with that. But I think West Ham have picked up a bargain there and someone who will fit in really well with how Sam likes to play, getting it wide and providing good service for the likes of Carroll and Nolan to feed off. I do wonder where it leaves players like Joe Cole, Collison etc as you can't fit them all into 1 team and not they'll be happy sitting on the bench, but nice problem to have.

Rant over Smile
I understand your point about the people saying you will struggle, but from there side of the coin you can see teams spending a lot of money, and wondering how long WBA can continue to hit with these free transfers/loans policy, and really that anybody from that mid table cluster could be dragged into it (I think you'll be fine anyways)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Agree with most of what you say Mat, Lukaku's a loss but won't be the fundamental reason for having a bad season, if you go on to do so. Usually, I would say your a mid-table team but that's pretty much pointless in stating that because of how tight the EPL has become. Just because teams around you have spent, does not automatically mean they will finish higher than you this year. Complete guess as to whether 'potentially' exciting players arriving at rival clubs will improve their sides or whether they will adjust to the standard and physicality of the EPL. That's why I'm reserving judgement on teams like Norwich for example. People often get carried away by signings and that's probably added to the reasoning why people have used WBA as the scapegoat and said they will struggle. As for the strikers, there's a nice variety there, not sure about Rosenberg, record isn't great but with Vydra, Anelka & Long there is certainly goals and that's the most important thing.

Not sure why some WH fans are disappointed in the arrival of Downing. He suits your style of play and having him on one side and Jarvis on the other, bring a natural balance to the side and will almost certainly create chances for Carroll. Downing will feel more comfortable playing for WH, in their system, to that of Liverpool that's for sure. I would of loved to seen Downing sign for Newcastle, we drastically needed a winger. You can't just write a player off because of a bad spell at one club. His form at Villa was extremely good and with some support and love shown to him, I'm sure WH will get the best out of him. £5m is an absolute bargain for a British player, who's played for England.......why are you bothered about his wages, you don't pay them???? Just enjoy the fact you've bought players this summer, unlike me, as a Newcastle fan, who's only seen a loan deal being confirmed and now's he injured.

Have Liverpool signed Guilherme Siqueira yet and what does that mean for the future of Jose Enrique?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 pm

I see that point Olly, but as much as people can say you can't keep on having success with loans/frees, but as John said, the same can be said amount spending money, that isn't a guarantee of success, in fact it's probably more of a risk. Of course higher reward if it does pay off.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Ed Malyon ‏@eaamalyon
Luis Suarez tells @MartinCharquero he won't be leaving Liverpool and will probably extend his LFC contract. Big.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 pm

After all this nonsense hes going to stay?! And sign a new contract?! Modern footballers! I can at least understand a playing kicking up a fuss if hes genuine, but thats really annoying! Bet the agent is properly reading the clauses this time. 

Arsenal, wherever you may be, turn your attention to Rooney. 

We're gonna end up with none of Rooney, Bale or Suarez moving.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm sure Rodgers will spin this into some "how he talked him round" shabang, whereas nobody outside of England wants Suarez (mainly Madrid) and the team that does (Arsenal) are p!ssing around with stupid bids and to be honest if he's getting a new contract he'd probably be better off staying
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/13/willian-liverpool-anzhi-makhachkala

Reported by the Times too.

Willian playing off Suarez with Coutinho and Sturridge either side? The defensive workrate will be appalling but it would be worth the watch. United and Arsenal should be all over that.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:46 am

So now Suarez is staying? Shame.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 am

Suarez is a fool to stay. He's wasting his career too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:12 am

I knew this would all be an anti-climax with these transfers. The Bale to Madrid was ridiculous from the get-go, the fee, his silence, the actual realistic chance of him moving abroad with a young family.......very unlikely at all. Out of the three possible move, rooney to chelsea is the only one realistically going to happen. Arsenal are bottlejobs and wont spend the money on Suarez.....game over. Suarez staying is hardly surprising and now he wants a new contract. He doesnt want a new contract, all he wants or what his agent wants, is a huge increase in salary and the installation of the release clause for next summer. a baby could understand that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 am

Maybe the end of the window will see the flurry of activity we've been expecting? Suarez to Real, Bale to United, Rooney to Arsenal instead of the current links?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 am

Rooney wont touch Arsenal. Suarez to Real & Bale to United I can see however, just seems right those moves, doesn't it?

Guardiola the agent is no mug, if Real dont come in for Suarez then they can't do a deal this window, so for my client to apologise and continue to play for Liverpool and save them again, my client wants a pay increase, like Rooney, and a clause installed stating that no top 4 next summer means he can leave for a fixed price.....none of this ridiculous + £1 nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 am

Former Wigan striker Franco Di Santo has signed a three-year deal at Werder Bremen after passing a medical. The 24-year-old became a free agent after leaving relegated Wigan at the end of June. He scored five goals in 35 appearances last season.

#LFC have made an enquiry for Anzhi's Willian but no bid yet. Deal for Granada left-back Guilherme Siqueira is close to completion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 am

id be interested to see how they can afford Willian considering he'd be close to 40m?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:24 am

Exactly, got to love them trying though. They offer nothing in terms of European football in a year where he wants to impress on the highest stage in an attempt to play for Brazil in the World Cup. Can see a move happening for him but not to Anfield. The left back deal is near complete for Siqueira, wonder what Jose Enrique's future is?

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

If we hadn't already signed Schurrle I'd say we be straight in for Willian, just a year too late I suppose. On the Rooney "saga", I don't think we need him although I'd love to have him in the team. I don't buy into the whole "Chelsea need a striker" trend that's currently going. We've already got Ba, Torres and Lukaku to choose from. Whether or not Rooney moves it's a great bit of mind games from Jose. We either have a top player from a title rival or they're stuck with a guy who's heart isn't in it.

Anyone else think Chelsea can win the title with the current team?

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 am

Looks to me like Eto'o to Chelsea is likely, although ive seen a story today saying United have enquired. That is surely nonsense, he would have no role there. 

Liverpool have money, Willian will probably be available for about £30m cos the Anzhi owner has gone a bit mental. Their transfer net this summer (Liverpool) must be pretty low and they've knocked off a chunk of wages too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah, of course Chelsea can win title with the current squad. Striker isn't a requirement at all, however a long term injury to Terry or Luiz, leaves Chelsea slightly short at the back. Same thing with City, defensively look thin, hence why they continue to be linked with the reckless thug & continuous cheat called Pepe from Madrid.

William to Liverpool won't happen, you may have the money but that's not what counts for him, leading into a World Cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:36 am

To be fair if his choice was regular football in the Russian league or regular football in the Premier League then actually his claims are strengthened by the move.

I do think Chelsea could need a striker, with only Lukaku likely to have the quality to be a title winning striker and it can be questioned whether he can produce such consistency at a top club yet.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 am

Why on earth do Chelsea need Eto'o when they Have Lukaku + Torres + Ba? Insanity. Abramovich has more money than sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 am

Zoltan Gera signed a 1 year deal with West Brom.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 am

CFCNick wrote:Zoltan Gera signed a 1 year deal with West Brom.
Yes 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 21 3559488474 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 21 3559488474 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 21 3559488474

My favourite Albion player, second-favorite ever behind Carl Hoefkens. Scored our goal of the season last year with our very first goal of the season. What a player Zolly is.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:32 am

Some of the twitter reaction has been quite the opposite of your view Azzy. Some Baggies fans think he's rubbish now. Others are like you.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 am

He scored 4 goals in 16 games last season, and to that point was probably our best attacking midfielder. Scored three crucial goals, played really well, club legend. Always welcome for another season. Any Albion fan who loves our club would want him back.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 am

I can see both sides. Useful player but West Brom have got to spend some dollar sooner or later
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 am

Suarez denying saying he would stay at Liverpool according to some Japanese Press.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:16 am

Fernando wrote:Suarez denying saying he would stay at Liverpool according to some Japanese Press.
I hope that's true, for the sake of his career.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

I'm so bored of this window now. Suarez, Bale, Rooney, Fabregas. All summer long with rumours flying about one way and then the other without any sort of payoff.

Thank God someone will be kicking an actual football around come Saturday so the papers can stop dragging out the most hideously dull transfer rumours.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 am

Hull's midfield morphing into Spurs reserves with the signing of Huddlestone and Livermore coming on loan
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:29 am

2 poop signings
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:30 am

Huddlestone has given up on ever playing for England then Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:30 am

Livermore on the other hand looked good last season, him and Boyd together could be good to watch. In a non-sexual way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:36 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Livermore on the other hand looked good last season, him and Boyd together could be good to watch. In a non-sexual way.
Don't worry you can be sexual around Boyd he'd never see you coming apparently drumroll

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:38 am

drumroll 

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Huddlestone has given up on ever playing for England then Rolling Eyes
I blooming hope so, be a barren day in an England midfield when that lump plays again. 

Cant believe Parker is going to QPR, theres a good few teams that could use his drive. The links with Defoe are ludicrous too!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Fulham are in for Parker
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Phew. Not sure why Sunderland arent really, Paolo has said he wants an English centre midfielder and he will definitely play a hard working guy in there who can pressure and tackle.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Not sure i can trust some japanese media on the Suarez matter.

Agree about how its turning into an anticlimax but it was pretty inevitable when you actually analysed each deal`s chances. The only deal that looked a goer is the Rooney deal. If anything, its turning into a positive for the EPL. Keeping Suarez & Bale, however unhappy they are, is good for the league.

Hearing a rumour of Manuel fernandes of Besiktas to Newcastle united......please no!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:44 pm

GSC would have told you that it's 23 pages Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21