The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

+35
Marky
Hulking_up
SirJohnnyEnglish
CFCNick
Small Time
mobilemaster8
Ent
Bull
Trebs
Colan (niner)
whocares
Liam
TopoftheChops
The_Enigma
Kay Fabe
Duty281
Mat
monty junior
jbeadlesbigrighthand
LastDamnation
Nakatomi Plaza
MIG
compelling and rich
GSC
westisbest
TopHat24/7
Hero
NickisBHAFC
kingraf
Holymiky
Fernando
The Special Juan
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
39 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 12 Empty 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

Post by Crimey Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Want a couple more big deals before it closes.

Rooney
Lewandowski
Bale
Suarez

May all still be leaving.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 12 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

Post by sodhat Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:
sodhat wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
BigFellasAfro wrote:I'm actually hoping United sign him now Laugh, so the doubting United fans can come back on and say "my god we were wrong, this boy can actually play"

id quite happily take him, dont get me wrong id prefer fabregas but have seen fellani dominate games from the deeper position and feel people are just remembering him from cahill went when he was pushed forward. lets face it fellani is 10x better than anderson!!!

Probably weighs a few stones less too.

How heavy is hair?

Not heavy enough to offset Anderson's diet of big mac extra value meals.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 12 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:05 pm

Crimey wrote:Luis Suarez has been pictured crying when leaving Melwood.

I think he's getting a culture shock of not getting everything he wants. I want to see him apologise for how he has treated the club.

What a pathetic excuse for a human being.

Massive respect to Rodgers for disciplining him, just like you would with a spoilt child.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:07 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I'd like to add I don't think Utd are signing Fellaini instead of Fabregas.  If the opportunity to sign Cesc comes up I think they'll do it.  Kagawa > Fabregas though Whistle

Agree completely. If you had a straight choice of Fabregas or Fellaini, I think you'd need shooting if you chose Fellaini.

Oh, and no he isn't

sodhat wrote:

Sod - are you factoring in that Big Macs are much smaller than they used to be?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

Now, I don't like Luis Suarez (great player, but a complete prat), but I'm not sure Rodgers is coming out particularly well in all this either.

Can you get odds on Rodgers being sacked before the end of January?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm

Hero wrote:
John wrote:Yeah, his style suited the EPL but United need to compete in Europe, where players like Fabregas or a Modric would have a bigger effect than tall, physical type players, who essentially get the run around by the technically gifted, low centre of gravity players you see today.

That 6'ft 3in Martinez at Bayern Munich seemed to do alright in assisting them win the Champions League last season...

Exactly.

I thought Bayern did a damn good job last season of showing that, provided you have the quality, big strong physical players can still be very effective championship winning sides, it's not all about short little tippy-tap footballers as everyone suggested due to basically 1 team - Spain/Barca.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:

sodhat wrote:

Sod - are you factoring in that Big Macs are much smaller than they used to be?

Good point. I can imagine he washes it down with a creme egg McFlurry though, so he is still getting those sweet calories.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

One of the more surprising things is that you can be over 6ft tall and a good technical footballer Shocked
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:13 pm

So it seems Luis Suarez has finally achieved the impossible.

He's made Liverpool fans and the team hate him.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:13 pm

I don't think Rodgers has come out of anything looking good since he took the Liverpool job, he's done okay, slightly worse than Dalglish albeit with a smaller transfer budget. His main success has been the signings of Sturridge and Coutinho who had a great six months, but this is kind of offset by the signings of Borini, Allen and Assaidi who have generally been pretty poor.

I hope he succeeds, just because I'm sick of the club changing managers a lot and want to see my club have success. I'm just not sure he's the man to bring it, I don't see anything different with the club than I've seen since the 09/10 season. It's been quite good football with a lack of end product and the odd good result which masks a lot of disappointing ones.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:14 pm

One of the more surprising things is that you can be over 6ft tall and a good technical footballer 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread....Continued.....CONTINUED - Page 12 Icon_eek

What like fake Ronaldo?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:15 pm

Olly wrote:So it seems Luis Suarez has finally achieved the impossible.

I don't hate him, I just think he needs to put in his place and realise just how much support the club has given him when they could have thrown him by the wayside.

I hope he apologises to the club, and if he stays and starts scoring goals again I'm sure most Liverpool fans will quickly forgive him, just like Gerrard was forgiven in the past.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

Crimey wrote:I don't think Rodgers has come out of anything looking good since he took the Liverpool job, he's done okay, slightly worse than Dalglish albeit with a smaller transfer budget. His main success has been the signings of Sturridge and Coutinho who had a great six months, but this is kind of offset by the signings of Borini, Allen and Assaidi who have generally been pretty poor.

I hope he succeeds, just because I'm sick of the club changing managers a lot and want to see my club have success. I'm just not sure he's the man to bring it, I don't see anything different with the club than I've seen since the 09/10 season. It's been quite good football with a lack of end product and the odd good result which masks a lot of disappointing ones.

I agree with this Crimey. Despite being an Evertonian, I have a lot of time for Liverpool and am in the group of friends who want to see a good relationship between the sets of fans. I have too many friends and family supporting you to dislike you! Laugh My ideal scenario is always us finishing as high as possible and you one place below.

Coutinho looks a great player again, which is great because he was starting to drift away a bit prior to joining you. He will be your key player this year.

But I don't think Rodgers is good enough (despite his own clear opinion of himself) to take you forward. He got lucky getting the job, because other than riding the crest of someone elses wave at Swansea, he has done little to impress me. I cannot see you challenging where you should whilst he is your boss.

But anyway, good luck for the season. Lets hope I am proved wrong Ok!
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm

Crimey wrote:
Olly wrote:So it seems Luis Suarez has finally achieved the impossible.

I don't hate him, I just think he needs to put in his place and realise just how much support the club has given him when they could have thrown him by the wayside.

I hope he apologises to the club, and if he stays and starts scoring goals again I'm sure most Liverpool fans will quickly forgive him, just like Gerrard was forgiven in the past.

I do wonder though, that if he wasn't such an important player, would the club have been so loyal. It it had been someone like Borini, you would have got shot. The "loyalty" was beneficial to the club, as you kept your best player.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:35 pm

That's the same in any line of work though.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:40 pm

Rodgers is a bell end too
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:
John wrote:Fellaini being United`s Yaya Toure is laughable. He doesn't have the engine or the pace to dominate a midfield through his running or work rate like Yaya does. Fellaini is all about bullying, being aggressive and using his physical size to dominate the opposition aerially, something which Everton tactically played on.  

Completely blinded by last season with that opinion IMO. He was used up front for his physicality last season as that is what we needed and he did a job for the team.

In the seasons before, in midfield, he was exactly the type of player you are saying he isn't. His height had very little impact on his game in midfield, other than it brought him a lot of bookings.

United want Fellaini in midfield, where he does not have the pace or engine to dominate like Yaya does. You even said he picked up a lot of bookings thats because he can't dominate a midfield because he is too slow and gets outplayed by technically superior players and who are quicker than him. Fellaini up front or playing off the striker, which United won't be buying him to do, is far more effective and uses his physicality to his strength. Obviously you have biased views on him and how effective he will be at United.

Also, whoever it was stating Martinez, as a big man, was key in Bayern`s success is far fetched. He's a cog in a wheel at Bayern, that's all. They have multiple match winners throughout that side, so suggesting Fellaini can have such an impact at United like Martinez apparently does is again over the top. Martinez can't even dislodge Busquets from the national side. You just read my post about tall, physical players and just picked out one player, poor response to the argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

Fellaini is a good footballer and can turn out very impressive dominant performances. But I'd agree with John in that he's so dirty because he can still be out-played by better footballers and he lacks serious pace or engine. The only thing more laughable than equating him to Keane is saying Fell+Carrick=Keane+Scholes.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

Also Martinez is completely different player to Fellaini, if he was 4 inches smaller his game would be very similar to how he plays now. If anything his height has been a disadvantage, particularly in Spain where they've tried to use him as a centre back simply because he's tall, including at Bayern where he's likely to be dislodged from the midfield in favour of being played as a centre back.

I do feel sorry for Martinez, he moved to Bayern because the plan was to use him as a centre back at Bayern and then Guardiola arrives at Bayern and moves him into defence.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:55 pm

Exactly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:57 pm

John wrote:
BigFellasAfro wrote:
John wrote:Fellaini being United`s Yaya Toure is laughable. He doesn't have the engine or the pace to dominate a midfield through his running or work rate like Yaya does. Fellaini is all about bullying, being aggressive and using his physical size to dominate the opposition aerially, something which Everton tactically played on.  

Completely blinded by last season with that opinion IMO. He was used up front for his physicality last season as that is what we needed and he did a job for the team.

In the seasons before, in midfield, he was exactly the type of player you are saying he isn't. His height had very little impact on his game in midfield, other than it brought him a lot of bookings.

United want Fellaini in midfield, where he does not have the pace or engine to dominate like Yaya does. You even said he picked up a lot of bookings thats because he can't dominate a midfield because he is too slow and gets outplayed by technically superior players and who are quicker than him. Fellaini up front or playing off the striker, which United won't be buying him to do, is far more effective and uses his physicality to his strength. Obviously you have biased views on him and how effective he will be at United.

Also, whoever it was stating Martinez, as a big man, was key in Bayern`s success is far fetched. He's a cog in a wheel at Bayern, that's all. They have multiple match winners throughout that side, so suggesting Fellaini can have such an impact at United like Martinez apparently does is again over the top. Martinez can't even dislodge Busquets from the national side. You just read my post about tall, physical players and just picked out one player, poor response to the argument.

Mario - 6'2"
Muller - 6'1"
Robben - 5'11"
Martinez - 6'3"
Schweinsteiger - 6'0"

Ribery is the only 'small' Barca/Spain-esque player in Bayern's forward line which won the CL final. They're all big strong players, especially compared to Barca's midfield/forward line of all 5'7" tiddlers.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

CHeck out most of Fellaini's bookings. Most are nothing to do with being outplayed. More often to do with elbows!!

He isn't the fastest, but he is no slouch and he has a great engine. I cannot remember the last time he was completely outplayed in midfield.

If you sign Fellaini, I think you will be surprised at how he plays in CM.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:02 pm

I'd rather have Fellaini than Michael 'Master of the 2 yards sideways pass' Carrick
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:04 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:CHeck out most of Fellaini's bookings. Most are nothing to do with being outplayed. More often to do with elbows!!

He isn't the fastest, but he is no slouch and he has a great engine. I cannot remember the last time he was completely outplayed in midfield.

Why is he having to use his elbows other than being out-competed by better footballers?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
BigFellasAfro wrote:CHeck out most of Fellaini's bookings. Most are nothing to do with being outplayed. More often to do with elbows!!

Why is he having to use his elbows other than being out-competed by better footballers?

Is that a serious question?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm

No-one said Fellaini+Carrick = Keane+Scholes either, that person clearly said Fellaini is to Carrick as Keane was to Scholes.

Although the rate at which Scholes picked up bookings, maybe it should be the other way around Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm

Scholes must have picked up bookings as he was out competed by better footballers
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

Wonder how many yellows Scholes picked up when facing opponents with Ballon D'or votes
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:Scholes must have picked up bookings as he was out competed by better footballers
I assume you mean players who have received at least one Ballon d'Or vote Wink

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:20 pm

Scholes clearly got 10+ bookings a season because he was being out-competed by better midfielders. It's so obvious. Same goes for Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane, they clearly came up against some quality players to have amassed so many cautions over their careers.

Fellaini picks up bookings because he gets stuck in, never shies away from responsibility, and is dangerous in the box off set pieces. He's never once dived (to my knowledge), and part of the reason he gets so many bookings is that he's so big that his larger-than-average limbs get in the way of people's faces. It's not his fault he's up against midgets.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:24 pm

"his larger-than-average limbs get in the way of people's faces"

Pahahaha that's got to be the most ridiculous excuse I've ever read for elbowing someone in the face!!

Sorry sir, his face got in the way of my swinging arm. Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:25 pm

Marouane Fellaini has "Peter Crouch Syndrome" Ref's penalize him a lot because he's bigger then everyone else and always looks like his the fouling party. Except the time he deliberatively elbowed a stoke player.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:27 pm

Laugh

But the point stands. Getting bookings doesn't indicate you are being outplayed, cannot pass, don't have an engine, cannot dominate midfields etc etc

I would be the first to admit Fellaini isn't World Class, and I can understand United fans wanting better. But to not want him because he doesn't have an engine or cannot pass or is slow, is labelling with things that are completely wrong.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:29 pm

Tbf Crouch was more preoccupied with the mystery of why he has a PL career
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:29 pm

Fernando wrote:Marouane Fellaini has "Peter Crouch Syndrome" Ref's penalize him a lot because he's bigger then everyone else and always looks like his the fouling party. Except the time he deliberatively elbowed a stoke player.
That was a push, thank you. In the throat.

And it was Ryan Shawcross, so you should be praising it
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:30 pm

I think that's unfair to Crouch, for a while he actually was a good striker, I don't think he is any more, but from about 05 to 09 he was actually a decent forward. I thought he was really good at Liverpool for a period.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

Do you have a fetish for Liverpool strikers over 6"3 Crimey?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:32 pm

Crimey wrote:I think that's unfair to Crouch, for a while he actually was a good striker, I don't think he is any more, but from about 05 to 09 he was actually a decent forward. I thought he was really good at Liverpool for a period.
Did you find that quite often people just labelled a big striker, when he was actually a technically skillful player. SOmetimes people cannot see past the physical stature of a person and make false conclusions
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

Let's take a look at United's midfield:

Carrick - holding playmaker, doesn't like to get forward much
Anderson - worthless
Fletcher - box-to-box worker, tries hard, severe injury problems over the years have taken their toll
Giggs - can't rely on him to play 90mins 40+ times this season
Cleverley - doesn't do much of anything, can't tackle, lacks the ability to pick through balls out, doesn't score, really contributes nothing to the side

Fellaini would immediately become United's best midfielder. While Carrick would have the pass percentages, Fellaini would be the heart and soul of United's side, driving them forward, linking the play, breaking up play, and setting the likes of RVP and Hernandez away ahead of him. What a player he'd be for United.

As they're not getting Strootman, Gundogan, Gonalons, Schweinsteiger, Fabregas, or anyone else of such ilk, Fellaini really is the best of the rest. He'd do a great job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

It was a bit of a fluke but Crouch did score a world class volley against Man City only a couple of years ago.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

I think you've misinterpreted my point Crimey

I never said Crouch was a bad player was pointing out that Fellaini like Crouch always gets called up for backing in being physical because of their height and physicality which leads to a lot of cards and Fk's

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
Fellaini would immediately become United's best midfielder. While Carrick would have the pass percentages, Fellaini would be the heart and soul of United's side, driving them forward, linking the play, breaking up play, and setting the likes of RVP and Hernandez away ahead of him. What a player he'd be for United.

Except he can't pass and doesn't have an engine.Rolling Eyes

TBF Carrick will be first choice as he was superb last year. But him sitting deeper and Fellaini playing box to box would be great for United

I expect us to play Fellaini similarly if he stays, but with Gibson.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:38 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Let's take a look at United's midfield:

Anderson - worthless
Fletcher - box-to-box worker, tries hard, severe injury problems over the years have taken their toll
Cleverley - doesn't do much of anything, can't tackle, lacks the ability to pick through balls out, doesn't score, really contributes nothing to the side

As they're not getting Strootman, Gundogan, Gonalons, Schweinsteiger, Fabregas, or anyone else of such ilk, Fellaini really is the best of the rest. He'd do a great job.
Afro-tinted spectacles there.......!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:40 pm

It isn't really Tophat
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:41 pm

Why is it that everyone but Man Utd fans can see Fellaini would make their midfield better then it is chin 

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:42 pm

im a united fan and i may not like Fellaini that much but in all honesty he would be great in our midfield and is a player that we need to add.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Anderson - worthless

Quite the opposite, I'm a neutral in this conversation. I just happen to appreciate a fine player, that's all. Fellaini is also the heart of this exciting Belgium side that's going to storm the WC next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:45 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Anderson - worthless

Quite the opposite, I'm a neutral in this conversation. I just happen to appreciate a fine player, that's all. Fellaini is also the heart of this exciting Belgium side that's going to storm the WC next year.
Which WC?

I hope I'm not in there. I don't know what I'd do if the Belgian first XI barged in mid-dump.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:47 pm

Fernando wrote:I think you've misinterpreted my point Crimey

I never said Crouch was a bad player was pointing out that Fellaini like Crouch always gets called up for backing in being physical because of their height and physicality which leads to a lot of cards and Fk's
I was responding to GSC. thumbsup 

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:47 pm

Bull wrote:im a united fan and i may not like Fellaini that much but in all honesty he would be great in our midfield and is a player that we need to add.
You've changed your tune.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

I'm not denying that Fellaini would improve Manchester United's midfield and is probably better than what they have. What I doubt is whether he's the signing to get them competing in Europe again which is surely the aim. Winning the title again would be good, but the long-term aim has to be to compete in Europe, a signing like Fabregas would have helped that immeasurably, I'm not sure Fellaini is the player to push United further in Europe.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next