The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History

+19
Hulking_up
Trebs
Adam D
compelling and rich
LondonTiger
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
superflyweight
Galted
JuliusHMarx
ChequeredJersey
Il Gialloblu
kingjohn7
Bull
bhb001
The Womble
Kenny
Dr Gregory House MD
Dolphin Ziggler
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Best Fictional Moment in TV History

The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap18%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 15 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap4%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap11%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap2%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap13%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 11 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap0%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap2%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap1%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap5%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap13%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 11 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap0%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap4%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 3 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap5%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap10%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_lcap10%The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 84

Poll closed

The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Empty The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:54 pm

Well, this is it, we have made it to the end. A long and arduous journey comes to its close as we pick the best fictional moment in TV history. 

Eastenders is well represented and many, many of you have proven that this forum is your internet home as at least five of you made the "moon landings" joke! The Breaking Bad choice is spoiler boxed below for those who are catching up (it was submitted a week ago so will have nothing from the latest episode).

Please select two choices (and avoid the ones that are questionably fictional if you believe them to have happened!)

The results from last week are as follows:

Father Ted/Sir Johnny English - 12
Fawlty Towers/Bhb001 - 12
The Office/Adam D - 8
Blackadder/Julius - 7
Only Fools and Horses/Onlytreblewinners - 7
Phoenix Nights/Superflyweight - 5
Porridge/Rowley - 4
I'm Alan Partridge/Tino - 3
IT Crowd/Hero - 2
Red Dwarf/Hulking Up - 1

That Leaves us with a scoreboard full of drama and tension. The perennial number 2 Whistle Adam goes into the final round on top of the pile, one of four men who can win it.

Adam D - 50
Hero - 49
Marky – 48
Tino – 38
Nakatomi Plaza – 36
Chequered Jersey - 34
Kenny – 30
OnlyTrebleWinners 29
Dolphin Ziggler 27
Bull - 27
VDT – 23
Julius H Marx - 23
Rowley - 22
B3rragan – 21
Sir Johnny English – 21
BHB001 – 20
Superflyweight 16
CJB – 14
Compelling and Rich - 12
NickisBHAFC - 10
Hulking Up - 9
SeanMichaels 6
xViperx - 5

THE BREAKING BAD SPOILER:

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Empty Re: The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:55 pm

This is the Alzheimer's sketch from Mitchell and Webb.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History Empty Re: The Inaugural TV Cup - 10th and Final Round: Best (Fictional) Moment in TV History

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:58 pm

I take it someone finds the Henry Blake scene from Mash moving?

Or did they just really hate Blake?

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 13 Aug 2013, 3:09 pm

Were is my pick for this round ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 13 Aug 2013, 3:19 pm

Only really one choice for me here and that's the end of Blackadder Goes Forth. That ending is the best ending to any TV show ever. None of the others come close. Went for Scrubs as well cos I had to vote for 2.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 3:38 pm

Two standouts for me; Blackadder and Padeo-geddon

Thanks for the amusing side track Dolphin. I appreciate the hard work. (Won't get me any more points though!!)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

That scrubs scene is probably my favourite thing in tv

Absolutely brilliant fron the acting to the song choice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

I voted for the Olympics and Brookside. What a terrible list Laugh

Blackadder ending made my heart break, why would someone say them all dying was the 'best' moment in TV?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:30 pm

Can't believe no one suggested Mae Young giving birth to the hand.

TV gold that was

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

Breaking Bad because its Breaking Bad.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Can't believe no one suggested Mae Young giving birth to the hand.

TV gold that was
The title says 'fiction'. Wrestling is real.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:43 pm

Laugh 

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I voted for the Olympics and Brookside. What a terrible list Laugh

Blackadder ending made my heart break, why would someone say them all dying was the 'best' moment in TV?
I think you would of voted for my choice Azzy but it's not up there Crying or Very sad 
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I voted for the Olympics and Brookside. What a terrible list Laugh

It's not the fact that it depicts the men dying, for me its the way they can incorporate comedy into such a emotional subject and make it so poignant. It goes from being a comedy to something very very real just like that. The way it was written was brilliant. Blackadder Goes forth is, in my opinion, one of the best TV shows ever made, hence why I voted for it in the 'best' moment in TV history.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm

Blackadder, and Del falling over.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm

Blackadder and Del Boy for me.

I was expecting a better list, although it's hard to think of what I might have nominated instead of what's there so fair play. Tough round to finish with.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

Forgot to add one. If an admin could add the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones it would be lovely

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 13 Aug 2013, 5:13 pm

i think you can add the breaking bad one on the list without the spoiler considering TWD: Sofia one is a spoiler as well

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Aug 2013, 5:51 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Forgot to add one. If an admin could add the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones it would be lovely
vote change ahoy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 6:05 pm

Bull wrote:i think you can add the breaking bad one on the list without the spoiler considering TWD: Sofia one is a spoiler as well  
I know that Sophia is quite early on, but I dont watch Breaking Bad so I didnt know with that

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 13 Aug 2013, 6:10 pm

It happens in Season 4

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 6:47 pm

People can just look (plus i have no power to change it)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:02 pm

Went for GOT and Blackadder (my 2nd choice) as both are great but still think my choice is the best TV moment (in a crushing way) I have ever witnessed
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:54 pm

The Womble wrote:...for me its the way they can incorporate comedy into such a emotional subject and make it so poignant. It goes from being a comedy to something very very real just like that.....
So you voted for MASH then Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:57 pm

Went for Game of Thrones wedding & JR getting shot. Blackadder close.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:43 pm

Blackadder walks this and due to a lack of decent choices, went for the Olympics (albeit it was a depiction of something that actually happened - although speeded up a fair bit).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm

Well over 50 years of TV and apparently one of the best moments that medium has ever given us is a middle aged bloke falling over. You lot should avoid going out when it is icy, you'd laugh so hard you'd give yourselves hernias.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Aug 2013, 9:50 pm

That really is a shocking list, albeit in a pretty hard category. One or two excellent choices, a couple of so-so efforts and the rest is garbage.

The most pleasing thing is I have crushed Jeff, yet again, so the tournament ends on a high for me. Even a 12 point swing can't help you now, Rowley.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:00 pm

Given my choice in this a points swing of any margin is extremely unlikely. At the risk of coming across all a bit beaten boxer who always has an excuse I have been unlucky in some of the earlier rounds. Don't think I got a first pick until round four and two of those I didn't get were Breaking Bad and Babestation, which I believe won their respective rounds.

Congratulations though Tina.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:12 pm

Very magnanimous of you, Jeffrey.

I believe Babestation split the points with a certain Strictly Come Dancing. Picked by me....

That and David Frederick Attenborough winning were good ones for me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm

No offence to Messrs Mitchell or Webb, but do people really think that's the funniest sketch ever? Or are we meant to consider the pseudo-serious part of it as some sort of mark of genius?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:11 pm

Its not funny, thats the point. Its very touching and portrays so much of what life can be like in a snapshot caring for a loved one with dementia. The first time I watched that was a few months into my Grandma's illness and it made me blub like a little girl, and it still makes me tear up. I just think its beautifully done, especially in a half hour show that is full of nothing but comedy.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:18 pm

Its a personal one for me really, I would completely understand why it wouldnt be a big deal for most people, it just hit me at a time when it was most poignant to do so.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:22 pm

Yes, it's a clever sketch and I appreciate it touched you personally at an unfortunate time, but I feel the greatest fictional moment in the history of television should be iconic, memorable and touched by creative genius - preferably all three.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:28 pm

Oh, I completely understand, I just found it very much all three of those to me personally cos of how relevant it was. I do think the show was underrated and to have such a poignant sketch in a sketch show was two of those things, the problem with being iconic is you generally have to then be doing something involved in a big programme, whereas you can have an extremely well written moment within a show of less acclaim.

I voted Blackadder mind you, that is all three of said criteria. And Paedo-geddon is hilarious. 

Its a bloody hard category really because the best programmes are a collection of moments within stories, rather than big standouts. To go for votes I would have gone with Rachel turning up at Ross' flat having "got off the plane". 

I could also choose Ethel's death or Dot's episode of Eastenders where she talks to the tape. I see Dot's eventual death in Eastenders as being heartbreaking too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:12 am

I agree about Blackadder. I nominated the MASH scene for the same reasons - it very much did what the Blackadder ending did, 15 years earlier, and just as well, if not better IMHO.
But try telling that to all you youngsters .... Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:33 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I agree about Blackadder. I nominated the MASH scene for the same reasons - it very much did what the Blackadder ending did, 15 years earlier, and just as well, if not better IMHO.
But try telling that to all you youngsters .... Smile
I loved Mash, always remember that scene at the end, shame that sort of marked the decline of the show (at least for me), with the loss of Trapper and in particular Burns being the nails in the coffin.

One thing I would say in contrast between Blackadder and Blake's Death, in regards to Blake, it took place in a if not serious at least sombre OR scene, in Blackadder they were cracking jokes right up to the final few seconds.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 14 Aug 2013, 7:41 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

I believe Babestation split the points with a certain Strictly Come Dancing.  Picked by me....

That and David Frederick Attenborough winning were good ones for me.
Think the only round I won was the soap round. I have never watched more than five minutes of one in my life. Think my exact nomination was "whoever Mike Reid played in the one he was in" At that point made me realise it perhaps did not do to over think these things.

As for today's lot it is a hard category but we do appear to have slim pickings. I nominated JR being shot because as Dolphin says should ideally be something iconic and as those old enough to remember Dallas will know who shot JR was a genuinely huge debate, bookies took bets on it, it was front pages of the papers, there were even T Shirts and such like about it. Was genuinely inescapable whether you watched the show or not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:18 am

Rowley wrote:

As for today's lot it is a hard category but we do appear to have slim pickings. I nominated JR being shot because as Dolphin says should ideally be something iconic and as those old enough to remember Dallas will know who shot JR was a genuinely huge debate, bookies took bets on it, it was front pages of the papers, there were even T Shirts and such like about it. Was genuinely inescapable whether you watched the show or not.
JR was my second choice actually Jeff.

It was an iconic moment but a little bit silly on reflection. I don't actually remember it first time round but me and my Ma used to watch the re-runs in the late 80's I think.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:27 am

Used to like MASH but it's not dated all that well. I once shared a tour of Glamis Castle with the chap that played BJ Hunnicutt. He seemed very interested in a big tall ship centrepiece in the banqueting room.

Glad to see Blackadder romping this. The ending actually came about by accident because of a lack of decent footage from the over the top scene. What a great accident!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:32 am

superflyweight wrote:Used to like MASH but it's not dated all that well.  I once shared a tour of Glamis Castle with the chap that played BJ Hunnicutt.  He seemed very interested in a big tall ship centrepiece in the banqueting room.  

Glad to see Blackadder romping this.  The ending actually came about by accident because of a lack of decent footage from the over the top scene.  What a great accident!
Great anecdote, super. I can now see why you took the p!ss out of me for my Snow Patrol story....

I am glad to see Blackadder smashing it up as well. Its in a different league to the rest on that list.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:39 am

Once this whole Operation Yewtree thing is cleared up, I'll tell you the story about the incident in the early 60's when my dad met Rolf Harris.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:51 am

Blackadder for me. I am still incapable of keeping a dry eye.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:56 am

superflyweight wrote:Once this whole Operation Yewtree thing is cleared up, I'll tell you the story about the incident in the early 60's when my dad met Rolf Harris.  
My Mum sat on Jimmy Saville's knee once. He plied her with booze to get her drunk too.

She was 48 at the time, but even so vomit

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:38 am

It would appear seven people dont realise what fictional means picard 

If we could put sporting moments in im sure the list would be much better!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

compelling and rich wrote:It would appear seven people dont realise what fictional means picard 

So do we therefore have to discount all historical dramas?

To me its the same as watching Saving Private Ryan - is that fictional or a documentary?

Its completely different to sporting events as there isnt a competitive element - its a play.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:23 am

compelling and rich wrote:It would appear seven people dont realise what fictional means picard 

Six - I voted for it but acknowledged it wasn't strictly fictional. Shame on the other six though!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:43 am

I changed my vote just now after the Red Wedding was added to the list Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:04 pm

Adam D wrote:

So do we therefore have to discount all historical dramas?

To me its the same as watching Saving Private Ryan - is that fictional or a documentary?

Its completely different to sporting events as there isnt a competitive element - its a play.
saving private ryan is fictional, its a made up story!! played by actors playing made up people. its set in a real world scenario but thats about it, many fictional story can be based in real world doesn't make it a documentary!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm

im also not buying that people have voted for the opening ceremony for the play/story aspect, it was pretty simple if you ask me. it was simply the occasion of london getting the olympics and the visual affects that made it such a great occasion. all of which were non fictional

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next