The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time!

+33
Afro
ncfc_Tooze
Hero
Ent
SirJohnnyEnglish
Gregers
jbeadlesbigrighthand
owen10ozzy
FIFA Diva
Kenny
Marky
Colan (niner)
TopHat24/7
BamBam
hornbloweroafc
The Terror of Tylorstown
Hulking_up
monty junior
Liam
Sam
The Special Juan
Holymiky
Soldier_Of_Fortune
GSC
Fernando
JamesLincs
CFCNick
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
Bull
NickisBHAFC
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
37 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time! - Page 11 Empty 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time!

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 14 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

We are just under three weeks away from the end of the window, when it slams shut, and none of the big names from the Premier League have gone anywhere. Suarez, Rooney, Bale could all leave, but the tables have turned and at least 2 of the 3 look likely to stay where they are. 

Will business slow down as the Premier League season starts this Saturday before a late flurry as panic sets in, squads are closer to confirmation and the window closes?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time! - Page 11 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time!

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Christ, Bale being worth more than Ronaldo was - that's just bonkers.  I think he'll flop spectacularly at Madrid as Ronaldo was superb near enough every game for Utd but Bale's incredibly streaky.  He destroys teams some games and then disappears for about a month.  For £85-90m Madrid are looking for someone who'll come in and perform from the off all game, every game and Bale won't do that.  He may even wilt under the pressure at a big club with a big transfer fee attached to his head.
I've seen Russell Martin keep Gareth Bale in his pocket the last two games we've had at White Hart Lane.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time! - Page 11 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread gets continued another time!

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

Owen wrote:How you can rate all three of their current CB's as better than Jags or Shawcross is baffling....for a start the latter two are a heck of a lot more consistent than any of those 3 and once again we are talking about players who have there fair share of injuries so why wouldn't you bring in at least one other very solid center back?
I can and will. Both are not that great. Jagielka playing for England shows how we struggle in the centre of defence. Arsenal, who are criticised for not buying in a way that suggests ambition, should not be going for a defender who would be immediately out of the England side if John Terry came out of retirement. Its questionable whether Wenger would want either of them. For players who are likely to be fourth choice, well he wont spend the inflated fees that would be demanded. Shawcross I do like, but he cant make England squads and his defensive game is so far removed from how Arsenal's defenders play. Koscielny and Mertesacker are highly rated because of their performances together last season, so I dont think they will buy players there unless its a real, real upgrade.

Owen wrote:I would disagree here again, there is no way the transfer market acts the same in the last 2 weeks of it as it does during the first few. You only need to look at the last few days of each of the last 4 seasons to see that. Clubs will have less time to get players in to replace those departing and the very nature of that risks means an inflation on the prices of certain players. You also mention the whole 'Tottenham needing to gel' in the next paragraph and whilst I agree it also contravenes what your saying here in that Arsenal have plenty of time. City & Tottenham...and Chelsea last season showed how to play the transfer market. Buying early allows new players the pre-season to bed...should Arsenal go out and sign 3 or 4 players now then they will be thrust straight into action and expected to perform...a pressure some may not deal with too well. 
Its not the same, but its being made out to be some sort of minefield. I think value only raise by a small increment and if they are as desperate and as flush as reported then it will happen, then someone of real quality will get the big bucks. 

Also, Tottenham are really buying a new side, whereas Arsenal wont and dont need to do so. The 6 or so new players, minus the loss of comfortably the best Spurs player of the Premier League era, thats a slight difference to Arsenal's aim here.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:43 pm

I'm still wholly unconvinced by AVB, but that's a different kettle of fish
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm

Spurs looked exactly the same as last season.

Toothless and reliant on a Bale special.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:50 pm

Dolphin & Azzy -

Giroud on the same level of Gomez - Not a chance, despite his age Gomez is miles better and has proven it on the biggest stage...World Cups, European Championships, Champion League. The guy has class written all over him. Whilst he may not fit into the conventional forward role Wenger loves to play, the fact he scores goals...something only Henry & Van Persie have done in recent times. Too many Arsenal forwards are claimed to have an all around game but can't get themselves into the right places and score...something which surely is your job as a forward? Gomez does this better than anyone!

I agree totally with Azzy regards Mignolet and Wanyama - Two players playing in positions which Arsenal have needed to strengthen for years now. Simon is a top keeper, last year showed that, more to the point he does what the other Arsenal keepers constantly fail to do and that is organise the back 4 with authority and be confident with set pieces (i.e. corners). He showed against Stoke how good he will be this season. As for Victor, yes he may well have only been playing in Scotland but his exploits in the Champions League showed what he brings to a team. He is physically strong in the Viera mould yet he has great vision and can pick out a pass. Arsenal have been crying out for someone who can break up play in the center of the park, in front of the back 4 and then quickly turn it into attack through the centre...they tend to over rely on just threading it down the line and teams see it coming more often than not (especially the top teams)

Many defences can be used as to why he didn't get Higuain or Suarez....but whichever way you look at it, if Wenger wants to challenge for the title then he has to spend money. This summer Cavani, Higuain, Suarez, Rooney, Gomez, Tevez have all been available (Rooney and Suarez may have had clubs who have played hard ball but should the offers be good enough both would sell) Now every single one of these is world class yet Arsenal have managed to get none. The even more galling thing is none of these came/would come at a cost of more than £55 million! Lets not forget it was only two seasons ago Torres went for £50mil & Carrol for £35mil....comparing those prices anyone of those above would be a steal.

Perhaps some weren't ever realistically going to join Arsenal...but as a side which players consistently applaud for their style of football I fail to believe that should they be willing to stretch the wage budget and offer the right terms, that none would join a club as big as Arsenal!

Olly - I am mate, and to be honest I would take a new back room of physio's than players given our history of injuries. We make Arsenal look like an injury free team!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:51 pm

Willian is considering his options

Apparently is hoping that Liverpool match Spurs offer.

Mathieu Flamini will re-join Arsenal on a free before Saturday id expect, Very good player when fit so shall do a job Smile better then 16m for Gustavo.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Olly - I am mate, and to be honest I would take a new back room of physio's than players given our history of injuries. We make Arsenal look like an injury free team!
Ayala shows flashes of potential when he plays, but he's too reckless and at the end of the day if he's fit for 5 games in a row it's a miracle. Not sure why you're taking him, but I'm happy you are

Becchio would be a very good signing for your lot however
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

Gomez is better than Giroud, but tbh I've never thought Gomez was particularly great. Everytime I've seen him hes missed a lot of chances, and he doesn't offer anything besides being a poacher. Certainly for Arsenal it would be an expensive minor upgrade.

Wanyama a good player but Arsenal should really aim higher

Same with Mignolet.

Those 2 are the kind of players that are at best fall back options.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose
West Ham transfer news - unless Juventus go back on the deal struck with West Ham - Fabio Quagliarella will be the Hammers latest signing

Chris I'm always a bit apprehensive with the Moose, especially as he said Holt was signing for you lot for 6m for certain last summer and the next day he signed a new deal with us! Do you think this Quag thing is actually, you know, happening?!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

Ayalas a decent player but at the end of last season Billy never bothered with him because he wont stay fit. Even with Collins being a liability.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm

Fernando wrote:Willian is considering his options

If that is true, then Liverpool are stupid not to match the £30 million. In the market for a wide player, Willian is considered one of the best in the world and genuinely wants to join the club, we'd be stupid to allow him to go to Spurs, especially if like Arsenal the club sees them as a rival.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm

Why the HELL would anyone choose Liverpool over Spurs??

Weaker side, club not going anywhere, no European football AND you'd have to spend a lot of time in Liverpool!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm

Was my understanding that Willian had agreed personal terms and was currently undergoing his medical, I think that deal is as good as signed, sealed and delivered.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm

Crimey wrote:

If that is true, then Liverpool are stupid not to match the £30 million. In the market for a wide player, Willian is considered one of the best in the world and genuinely wants to join the club, we'd be stupid to allow him to go to Spurs, especially if like Arsenal the club sees them as a rival.
United should chip in too!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:58 pm

Owen wrote:Yes Arsene has made plenty of good decisions over the course of his career when signing players but he has also made more and more mistakes. He has lost his best players and whilst some may feel he could do nothing about that you'd be daft not to think part of the reason many left was a lack of ambition on the transfer front. Add to that players who have failed: Gervinho (£10million), Chu Young (£3.6), Santos (£6.2million), Giroud (£13million...though he may come good this season) .. 
But who hasnt? Djemba-Djemba? Veron? Giroud looks a good signing to me, I like him and its not too hefty a fee. Gervinho was a player who operated in spells excellently and is wildly over criticised, especially when they recouped much of the expenditure. 

Not that I dont agree, he hasnt been the top transfer man in the past few years, but he isnt as bad as is made out is my point. Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski added over 30 goals for Arsenal and a lot to the play of the side. Cazorla was a tremendous buy.

Owen wrote:Again you may be right in that the players may not settle and gel, then again you could be completely wrong and we could see them excel and blitz into 4th place. The fact is that they are showing ambition to push on and get into the title mix. Whilst they may well lose Bale, they haven't yet and they are at least preparing for life without him by strengthening. Something Wenger has consistently failed to do. I am sure Arsenal fans would rather have an overcrowded midfield than one lacking depth any day of the week. For the past 3 seasons the Gunners have always been one of the most injury ravaged teams in the league...they are crying out for depth yet they have none. I mean Ramsey, Wilshere, Diaby are consistently injured...even Chamberlain is looking a little suspect to picking up the odd knock. 
But they are making moves to rectify it. Interest in Gustavo was there, interest in Flamini is there. Their failing this window has been Luis Suarez, they chased the big deal and lost sight, but I think it would have impacted everything they did in the rest of the window so the ambition was worth it. I doubt they sat twiddling their thumbs though, they clearly have a list of targets and will have had feelers out on players. 

I will happily judge in 10 days time. But if they sign a couple players for depth, and really they only need 3 for depth if you ask me, then all they will be questioned on is whether Giroud is good enough to score 17+ goals. They have goals enough in their team that they can handle him not being the top goalscorer or at that level. 

Personally, Id have gone and got Fellaini almost immediately. But I dont have to worry about the identity of a club. United fans dont think Fellaini has the technical ability to play for them, and he will probably need a little more technical ability to fit Arsenal merely due to their tippy-tappy football. So, questionable whether he is worth it. 

Realistically, they shouldnt be expected to have expenditure of 70m. Its maddening that they are expected to go do that much, its just not viable for everyone. Their window has been the victim of two things; Tottenham going nuts; chasing one big deal that they thought they had, only for it to be beyond them. Its not great work, but its life. Football fans do struggle with the realistic nature of the world. 

Add on top of that the overreaction cos they lost a game against Villa, its just uncomfortable. At the very least, they now have Champions League football pretty much in the bag, which will help. 

Im not saying "well done, Arsene" but I stand by my point from yesterday "reports of Arsenal's death have been greatly exaggerated." Tottenham have done really good business, fair play to them, but its not like Arsenal have gone and set fire to the Emirates. The structure of the team, and I would stress the word team, is all still standing, whilst the man who rescued Tottenham to finishing below them, bottling it when they had the advantage too, that man is on his way out. 

Not cut and dry by any means.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Why the HELL would anyone choose Liverpool over Spurs??

Weaker side, club not going anywhere, no European football AND you'd have to spend a lot of time in Liverpool!
To be honest, I have no idea, but the club should snap up this rare opportunity and spend some money on him. 

I suppose he might feel he's guaranteed a spot in the Liverpool side, there are a couple of Brazilians who have done very well at Liverpool (I suppose the same could be true of Tottenham) and apparently Liverpool are one of the most popular club sides in Brazil so a lot of Brazilians supported Liverpool as a child and that may be a reason.

If Liverpool don't take this opportunity, then it's a signal of the ambitions of the club. When a top, top player is practically asking you to sign them for a fee only £4 million above the club's valuation you take that. Especially when the net spend this year has been minuscule.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:00 pm

Funny, this mythical reading I see people outside of clubs have on their knowledge of keepers organising skills, Mignolet looked as soft as Pele's little Pele when it came to set pieces and his commanding nature against Stoke

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:01 pm

I agree with Ziggles tbh.

Willians hoping Liverpool make a death or glory bid and he gets a bigger paycheck.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:01 pm

Olly wrote:Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose
West Ham transfer news - unless Juventus go back on the deal struck with West Ham - Fabio Quagliarella will be the Hammers latest signing

Chris I'm always a bit apprehensive with the Moose, especially as he said Holt was signing for you lot for 6m for certain last summer and the next day he signed a new deal with us! Do you think this Quag thing is actually, you know, happening?!
If that berk says its happening then usually it isnt. Sam has come out today and said we've got no money to bring anyone in. I think we have an agreement with Quag for a loan but Juve want the permanent deal. I'll do some hunting. I almost only want Quagmire now so that we cant be linked with him for a year

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:02 pm

Chris, did you see Arsenal's bench last night? They've suffered three or four injuries and suddenly their squad looks awful. No way near top 4 quality. It's a squad game and right now Arsenal don't have a good enough one and their first team isn't as good as it has been for the last couple of years.

I think Arsenal are a weaker team than they were last year for sure. No point getting rid of dead-wood if it's not replaced with quality. Gervinho is better than nobody.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:06 pm

Crimey wrote:Chris, did you see Arsenal's bench last night? They've suffered three or four injuries and suddenly their squad looks awful. No way near top 4 quality. It's a squad game and right now Arsenal don't have a good enough one and their first team isn't as good as it has been for the last couple of years.

I think Arsenal are a weaker team than they were last year for sure. No point getting rid of dead-wood if it's not replaced with quality. Gervinho is better than nobody.
Aye, they need a little depth, although anyone can admit they have had a rather unlucky period with injuries even by their standards. Still, between Monreal, Fabianski, Podolski, Jenkinson and even Sanogo, its not like they had me and you sitting there.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:09 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Olly wrote:Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose

If that berk says its happening then usually it isnt. Sam has come out today and said we've got no money to bring anyone in. I think we have an agreement with Quag for a loan but Juve want the permanent deal. I'll do some hunting. I almost only want Quagmire now so that we cant be linked with him for a year
I can't see him leaving Italy tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:09 pm

Flamini on a free is decent business, good player, knows the club and league, depth.

Seen Graham Hunters said Madrid want to sign Bale, sell Benzema and replace him with Suarez.

Can see Liverpool being bullied into selling to Madrid tbh. Suarez would kick off big time for Madrid.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

Mathieu Flamini will re-join Arsenal on a free before Saturday id expect, Very good player when fit so shall do a job :)better then 16m for Gustavo.
I hope thats true RE Willian Laugh

Cant see Liverpool upping there offer after intially agreeing a lower fee so its up to Willian to say he doesnt want to join Spurs!

I used to rate Flamini highly when he was at Arsenal during his first stint. Not sure what his performance levels have been like the last few year but if he can replicate what he done first time round that would be a shrewed buy, especially on a free.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm

GSC wrote:Flamini on a free is decent business, good player, knows the club and league, depth.

Seen Graham Hunters said Madrid want to sign Bale, sell Benzema and replace him with Suarez.

Can see Liverpool being bullied into selling to Madrid tbh. Suarez would kick off big time for Madrid.
ITs too late to sell Suarez to anyone, but if Real came calling I dont think we would have much choice.

Up the bid for Willian now! Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:21 pm

Scott Sinclair to WBA seems all but done, think it's a loan
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

I don't see Madrid going for Suarez, especially if they're at advanced stages of the Bale signing

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:25 pm

Suarez deal would be dependent on Benzema out I'd think.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:26 pm

GSC wrote:Flamini on a free is decent business, good player, knows the club and league, depth.

Graham Hunter > Balague

Makes sense that, if it plays out like that. Not sure about Benzema to Arsenal though.

Last edited by John on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:27 pm

Cant see Benzema going to Arsenal though either.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm

I don't think he'd go without some form of release clause, but I think he could be persuaded if Madrid make it clear hes unwanted. Arsenal have CL football, room to pay good wages and offer PL football in London.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:43 pm

That's the attractive package GSC, but I'd rather sit on the bench at Real, playing with those players, than drop to Arsenal's level. Just me though, I might be strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

Benzema was bought for 35million euros rising to 41million. Double that and add half for his release fee.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

I think most would rather play tbh. And at least Arsenal offer a more than good chance of being in the CL after January.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

Apparently Barry is on the verge of moving to Everton on loan unless any more bids come in for him. Not sure on that deal to be honest, on paper it sounds good, getting an English, league winner with international experience but not sure Everton need Gareth Barry and doesn't fit in with their youthful, pace-filled side that Martinez seems to be building.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

I am certainly not saying that this summer is the death of Arsenal...far from it Ziggler. What I am saying is that Arsene is at a stage now where he will be scrutinised for everything he does, and in some sense rightly so. You cannot just keep judging a manager on results from 8 years ago when they are losing ground on those around them.

You said yourself as a team they are as good as Tottenham and certainly a Top 4 team, but with the nature of the amount of football played throughout a season now, having a good team is no longer enough. The squad has been bare thin at the Emirates for a number of years now and you would be hard pressed to argue that the quality all the way down the squad list just isn't their.

Wenger has failed to address key areas of the squad/team that have needed strengthening time and time again. They have needed a DM with real quality forever and an age but still don't have one. The keepers have all been hit and miss since Seaman yet have they brought in a proven GK...no!

I realise that Wenger has his philosophy with regards to buying young and creating a team but if he is to compete on all levels then he has to accept that the team require not just a strong consistent spine within the starting XI but experienced players who can be used as cover when need's be.

This is a team that always has a depleted squad no matter what part of the season it is, surely Wenger must know this? Of course that is down to luck at times, but when you have a team of relatively small and unphysical/brittle players injuries will happen and he should have a contingency in place for when they do. As it stands he doesn't.

If Wilshere is injured...who can come in and provide the same quality?! If Giroud gets injured which striker is going to replace him?...Podolski probably but then they lack depth out wide by bringing him up top. Gibbs has his fair share of injuries and I wouldn't say Jenkinson is good to put in consistent enough top class performances.

To be honest I don't buy into this belief that Arsenal have a starting eleven to challenge for the title. They certainly don't have a squad good enough to challenge on all domestic front and they are a huge way off being able to challenge for the Champions League.

Arsenal fans have had to sit and watch whilst teams around them spend huge sums of money. This is something they have had to endure for the past 4 seasons...all the while seeing there best players go. The reason given was that they had a stadium to pay for and they were making themselves a financially sound club. That has happened now. I am not saying go out and spend everything they have but at least make some intent in the transfer market.

Out of all the players linked with the club I believe they only moved on one. Suarez...and even that was a bit of a cheeky offer to be honest. Now they were knocked back and Liverpool were offended...so either Arsene should have gone in with a bigger offer, say £50 million, or should have moved on to other deals.

I mean it has been 2 weeks since all of that occurred and nothing has happened....if he has a list which he would move to once he didn't get Suarez then where are the players on that list? I would hazard a guess they have all gone now! Ultimately the manager is to blame if that is the case as he shouldn't have put all his eggs in one basket...which is what he did. Chelsea have Rooney as there number one target...but they still went out and purchased others and added depth.

At the end of the day I think Arsenal fans are just sick of hearing the same broken record. If Wenger wants to compete with the big boys and challenge for trophies then he has to start spending...both on a star quality player or some good solid additions for the squad (regardless of whether he has to pay slightly over the odds). If he doesn't want to do that then he has to come out and say 'look I only wish to pay certain figures and wages for players, that is my philosophy and our aim should only be to reach the Top 4 and perhaps win a domestic cup'.

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

Barrys a good player and good person to have in your squad. Good in a number of positions, won't moan if he doesn't start every game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

GSC wrote:Barrys a good player and good person to have in your squad. Good in a number of positions, won't moan if he doesn't start every game.
That's the thing, I know he'll get more opportunities at Everton, but he's moving for first-team football but I wouldn't have had him in the Everton first team at full strength.

Still think Villa should have gone for him, would have added a bit of experience and a welcome home.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:55 pm

Crimey wrote:
GSC wrote:Barrys a good player and good person to have in your squad. Good in a number of positions, won't moan if he doesn't start every game.
That's the thing, I know he'll get more opportunities at Everton, but he's moving for first-team football but I wouldn't have had him in the Everton first team at full strength.

Still think Villa should have gone for him, would have added a bit of experience and a welcome home.
Not sure why Villa would want to take on his wages when he doesn't fit in with Lambert's policy.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:57 pm

His exit was a bit acrimonious wasn't it?

Think Barry recognises at this point his best bet is probably to do what Phil Neville did and transition into a player-coach role.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

Isn't Barry still only 32? Same as Scotty Parker?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:03 pm

And Parker almost dropped into the Championship. Barrys sticking at a good PL side for a year
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:07 pm

Parker > Barry without question.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:08 pm

I'd rather have Barry in all honesty. Parkers hype comes from the fact hes English and "gets stuck in".
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:10 pm

Barry's not that bad a player, his display against Germany in 2010 seems to cloud people's judgement of him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:10 pm

Arsenal should do as follows:

Sign Benzema and Di Maria double deal for 55 million
Sign Pogba for 20 million
sign Antonie Griezmann for 15 million
Sakho for 10 million from PSG

done

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:12 pm

GSC wrote:I'd rather have Barry in all honesty. Parkers hype comes from the fact hes English and "gets stuck in".
Nah, theres a lot more to Parker than that. Julian Dicks got stuck in, I wouldnt have played him centre mid

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:12 pm

Benzema doesn't want to leave, di Maria is still a regular first teamer, Pogba isn't leaving, Sakho has been linked to Spurs. All that's left if Griezmann.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:12 pm

I love Barry, he's a Sussex boy, but simply Parker is just a better footballer. That said there both easily good enough for a decent Premiership side.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:18 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Benzema doesn't want to leave, di Maria is still a regular first teamer, Pogba isn't leaving, Sakho has been linked to Spurs. All that's left if Griezmann.
I said 'should' because Arsenal don't have much pulling power anyway. I'm cnfident literally all of those players would leave if the right team came in for them. In fact, I'd throw in 40 million bid to Real Sociedad for Griezmann and Martinez, would be great business

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next