The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again

+35
ncfc_Tooze
compelling and rich
NickisBHAFC
TopHat24/7
The Special Juan
GSC
sodhat
TopoftheChops
hornbloweroafc
Hulking_up
westisbest
Dr Gregory House MD
owen10ozzy
Marky
whocares
x12x
LastDamnation
Fernando
BamBam
Kay Fabe
Soldier_Of_Fortune
CFCNick
jbeadlesbigrighthand
SirJohnnyEnglish
Bull
Ent
Afro
Hero
The Terror of Tylorstown
Crimey
Sam
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
Liam
39 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again - Page 3 Empty 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again

Post by Crimey Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:13 am

First topic message reminder :

Four days left of the transfer window and still Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle still aren't moving quickly. The Bale deal still hasn't gone through, there is still speculation that Real Madrid may go back in for Suarez and Arsenal could break the transfer record. Tottenham have also decided to sign everybody.

Available at the moment seems to be a list of the players who were the best in the world five years ago:

Kaka 
Fernando Torres
Samuel Eto'o (until yesterday)

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again - Page 3 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again

Post by Crimey Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:40 pm

I know he was the difference in the title race, but long-term I can't see Van Persie having many years left, he was injury prone as a youngster so would be surprised if he's got a long and successful career ahead of him, think this year will likely be one of his last as the top forward in the league as he slowly gets worse. 

That's probably one of the only negatives from the deal so far, that they signed him at the tail end of his career. 

I think the Cantona deal is probably a bigger deal than the Van Persie one considering Leeds were a much more realistic title contenders than Arsenal.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again - Page 3 Empty Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window Thread is continued...again

Post by Fernando Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

Tiago Ilori to join Liverpool after fee is agreed : SSN

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:55 pm

John wrote:
Ent wrote:None of the players you've listed are world class.

We've rarely ever signed European marquee names.
Cesc, Willian, Hazard, Lucas Moura, Thiago, Ozil......there's potential in there to be world class. For me, only Messi, Iniesta & Ronaldo are world class but you've got to open the boundaries of `world class`, the amount of times its thrown about. United would love to have any one of those names, instead you've got Fellaini. Domestically is where United thrive and will continue to do with RVP examples because they can't compete nowadays with the big three and the financial attraction of City or PSG.
United's transfer policy hasn't changed in 20 years and in that period we've been more successful than any other club in British history and have won more European titles than any other EPL club (in the last 20 years) so I'm quite happy for the status quo to be maintained thanks.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:19 pm

Ent wrote:So pedantry aside we are agreeing rvp was a transfer coup?

Arguably the biggest domestic transfer in Pl history- depending on how highly you rate arsenal.
He was for sure a transfer coup, biggest in PL history is debatable
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:34 pm

Arguably, this is likely to be Moyes' hardest ever window. He is said to have acknowledged that. If United prove the ship is still on a steady course, then it all kicks on again. Its very relative John, and its also so indefinite. City lost out on RVP. United were not in for Willian, Cesc has his love of Barca and Arsenal loyalties, Thiago went to the European Champions, but more importantly he went to the manager who mentored him and an icon at the club who grew up at. 

You know for a fact that Ronaldo will move to no other club over United. There is no player City have signed this summer that you would think would not go to Man United. They are not behind, they are on the same playing field, looking at a wide market with a hundred different factors. Id venture that Bale would have chosen United over any other English side if that had been the choice.

Hell, United, like most big clubs, have always done well from taking the best domestically, and making players from Europe into top players. Barca's signing of Neymar is quite standout because generally they follow a similar transfer pattern to United. 

Fellaini, whilst not blessed with the grace of others, has been one of the standout midfielders for about three years.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:43 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:With the exception of Veron and Van Nistelrooy the majority of the top tier players we buy are from the premier league and it's done us very well for 20 years now. We're not like City, Chelsea, Madrid, PSG or Monaco who throw money around like no tomorrow we've always had a stricter belief in a core of young british players. I don't want to support a team that buys it's way to success, i'm very happy with our strict transfer policy.

As for Van Persie there is nobody in the world who's a better out and out striker, Ronaldo and Messi don't fall into that category at all.
Are you for real?!?! Just because United don't buy from outside the league as much as others doesn't mean they don't throw money around.

Everyone buys success. Every club that ever won anything did so by buying players. You don't spend money to make the team worse.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:48 pm

Newcastle make £10m bid for Florian thauvin as expected. Arsenal should come back in for yohan, at least we're being proactive instead of reactive.  Yeah, see your points about United. Knew it would be a tough window for Moyes, interesting to see how it goes with Fellaini and how he performs & then what Moyes purchases next summer, in an attempt to challenge in Europe.

Yeah, united aren't strict, they just dominate the market domestically n throw money around on RVP, Smelling, Valencia & Jones etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:57 pm

thumbsup Agreement from me, why I havent been too critical of them. One of the most unique transfer situations in domestic history, maybe world football. 

I honestly have no idea what id say for Newcastle to do. Get a striker and replace Cabaye almost seems too simple, but you get the feeling that if just two more class players really bring some performances to go with Ben Arfa then the rest will lift.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:06 pm

Looks like Spurs have Eriksen signed and sealed now as well.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:06 pm

Sad

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:17 pm

Except that will be the end of the players coming in for Tottenham, sell Bale by tomorrow I expect and then probably try and get another midfielder away on loan.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:35 pm

I would be expecting Stoke to make some moves. Attempt to loan Adebayor? Holtby?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm

Forgot all about Adebayor.

Think Tottenham will be trying to get rid of:

Bale
Adebayor
Assou-Ekotto
Holtby 

Over the next couple of days then.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:41 pm

Cracking business by Spurs. Its gutting to see. They broke the gap to that level at the perfect time. Everton fans are basically looking at what they could have done if they had financial backing at the time of their best push into top 4/5 area.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:42 pm

Tom Carroll would be a good loan signing for any of the three promoted clubs. Looks a fantastic prospect and with same game time, bit like Wilshere had at Bolton, we could see him make great strides in his overall game.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:46 pm

I think spurs adventure could all end in tears, nearly £100 million on largely unproven talent (soldado being the arguable exception) and none having played in England before.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:48 pm

With the money they get from Bale they'll be in profit over the summer months.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 30 Aug 2013, 9:56 pm

Will they? Could still all end badly regardless of the balance sheet they've spent a heap.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm

But recouped a heap. Wages shifted out have been done really well too. If you want proof of how important business is in football, Spurs are that example.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:19 pm

What wages have they shifted?

I might be missing something but they've spent (mil) £30 on lamela £26 on soldado £17 on paulinho and bits and jobs on others.

Those guys will be on big wages (for spurs).

Anyway they've still spent a bomb on largely unproven players- could all end in tears.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:41 pm

huddlestone, gallas, livermore, caulker, dempsey, parker, possibly adebayor wages off the list. they've made the room, no worries there.

cant wait for sunday now, see what spurs are made of. going to take time to gel together under AVB and the new players adjusting to the league. still think the top 4 is the realistic target. these players dont have the experience or know-how of winning this league and capatalising on the important moments in a season like a united or chelsea do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

They wont go any further down the table than last season. 

Well, Parker, Dempsey, Gallas, Bentley, Caulker and Huddlestone, with Bale to go. They've also increased revenue streams, as well as getting an extra £4m a year for wages just because thats how FFP works.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:48 pm

Telegraph Sport ‏
[ltr]@TelegraphSport[/ltr]
13m
Manchester United prepare £40m double swoop for Bilbao's Ander Herrera and Roma's Daniele De Rossi http://fw.to/mzqdtsI 

Thats the £30m for Herrera's release clause as part of that. Be surprised if £10m is enough for De Rossi. I wouldnt be surprised if hes available though, theres been big rumours around him this year and that noise is probably for a reason.

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm

De Rossi seems to have been linked to a PL move for the past umpteen years.

Expect him to collect his pension here in a couple of years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:55 pm

Totti & De Rossi are at Roma for life. Never believe any rumours circulating around them. I don't see United going for Herrera, if Fellaini is available. Moyes will go for what he knows and who can benefit his side domestically straight away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:04 pm

The Bilbao President confirmed Utd have bid £25m but its been turned down. £30m though activates the release clause.

Agree that Rossi is Roma for life. Only reason I see him leave is his nose is put out of joint by Strootman arriving.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm

And they arent that good anymore. 

Liverpool look set for a big few days. Ilori, Sakho, Given and Moses seem to be the targets. Id send Moses to WBA personally, the Clarke relationship is so special.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm

Kaka looks set for Milan, which im sure everyone thought was gonna happen and makes most sense.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:And they arent that good anymore. 

Liverpool look set for a big few days. Ilori, Sakho, Given and Moses seem to be the targets. Id send Moses to WBA personally, the Clarke relationship is so special.
Happy with all of them but the Sakho one which I feel is a bit of a waste of money and has been done because of the injuries to Coates and Toure, even though Toure might only miss two games. He's not going to oust Agger so it's a waste of £13 million which I rather we saved for January.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 31 Aug 2013, 9:10 am

Crimey wrote:Tiago Ilori and Sakho both due in Liverpool for medicals over the next couple of days. Happy with the Ilori signing who is one of the most promising young defenders in Portugal, but can't understand the Sakho signing. He's a left-sided defender but isn't going to oust Agger who is the vice-captain, he won't play left back as Liverpool rely too heavily on full backs for width, particularly down the left, but at £13 million seems too expensive just to keep on the bench. Especially as he's moving for first team football.

Manchester United could very well be Skrtel's last game for the club then.
I dont get your gripe with Sakho being left footed, he can play right CB. There is many of right footed CBs playing on the left side?!? Sakho was captain of PSG at 18 FFS. If that isnt an indictation of his credentials, I dont know what is. I would have Sakho over Ilori everyday day of the week and twice on a Tuesday.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 31 Aug 2013, 10:36 am

Celtic sign Teemu Pukki from Schalke for £3m

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 31 Aug 2013, 10:50 am

CFCNick wrote:
The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:With the exception of Veron and Van Nistelrooy the majority of the top tier players we buy are from the premier league and it's done us very well for 20 years now. We're not like City, Chelsea, Madrid, PSG or Monaco who throw money around like no tomorrow we've always had a stricter belief in a core of young british players. I don't want to support a team that buys it's way to success, i'm very happy with our strict transfer policy.

As for Van Persie there is nobody in the world who's a better out and out striker, Ronaldo and Messi don't fall into that category at all.
Are you for real?!?! Just because United don't buy from outside the league as much as others doesn't mean they don't throw money around.

Everyone buys success. Every club that ever won anything did so by buying players. You don't spend money to make the team worse.
Throwing oil money around is not the same as buying from the profits of long term sustained success

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

Alderweireld has signed for A. Madrid. Excellent signing there, few Premier league clubs wanted him.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:20 am

BamBam wrote:
CFCNick wrote:

Throwing oil money around is not the same as buying from the profits of long term sustained success
He didn't say that though. He just said they don't buy success which is a ridiculous statement.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

CFCNick wrote:
BamBam wrote:
CFCNick wrote:

He didn't say that though. He just said they don't buy success which is a ridiculous statement.
I guess he means he would prefer a team whose success means they can buy, rather than a team who have had no success prior to their extravagant buying

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

Did Watford release One Size? I could have sworn he was playing against Forest last week.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

BamBam wrote:
CFCNick wrote:
BamBam wrote:
CFCNick wrote:

I guess he means he would prefer a team whose success means they can buy, rather than a team who have had no success prior to their extravagant buying
That only applies to City, Monaco and PSG though. Not Madrid and Chelsea.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:35 am

Yep, definitely applies to City, Monaco and PSG. Definitely doesn't apply to Madrid although they have various other advantages.

Chelsea .. hmmm barring the odd cup they weren't exactly winning titles and Champions League before the money came in .. they were pretty much a Spurs

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:42 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Crimey wrote:Tiago Ilori and Sakho both due in Liverpool for medicals over the next couple of days. Happy with the Ilori signing who is one of the most promising young defenders in Portugal, but can't understand the Sakho signing. He's a left-sided defender but isn't going to oust Agger who is the vice-captain, he won't play left back as Liverpool rely too heavily on full backs for width, particularly down the left, but at £13 million seems too expensive just to keep on the bench. Especially as he's moving for first team football.

Manchester United could very well be Skrtel's last game for the club then.
I dont get your gripe with Sakho being left footed, he can play right CB. There is many of right footed CBs playing on the left side?!? Sakho was captain of PSG at 18 FFS. If that isnt an indictation of his credentials, I dont know what is. I would have Sakho over Ilori everyday day of the week and twice on a Tuesday.
I would be very happy with the signing if I wasn't sceptical of how he was going to fit in. He's a centre back come left back, it would be unusual to see him playing on the right side of the defence. I know it isn't impossible, just think it would be very odd to see two left-footed left backs, particularly two who can also play left back.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:43 am

Apparently Arsene Wenger has said he might bring Bendtner back into the first team squad...just what Arsenal fans wanted to hear.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:47 am

He said Bendtner wasn't moving because he doesn't want to take a wage cut
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

GSC wrote:He said Bendtner wasn't moving because he doesn't want to take a wage cut
Basically Bendtner knows he'll never be on this kind of money again so is milking it for all he's worth. Wenger must be fuming about it, isn't he on like £50k a week?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sat 31 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm

CFCNick wrote:
BamBam wrote:
CFCNick wrote:

It's quite obvious what I meant and it seems to be Chelsea and City fans who reply that United bought success too which isn't very accurate.

Our success started in 1990 with the FA cup win, we were to buy players not because of a rich owner but because the club had been marketed so well. Then came the class of 96 upon which sustained success was built on, we have and continue to bring through our own players not to the quality and quantity of Beckham, Giggs, Butt, the Nevilles and Scholes. After which we've had Brown, O'shea, Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans while somebody like Lingard looks like breaking through.

How a club that spends it's own money and constantly brings through youth players to the first team can be considered to buy success on the same level as City and Chelsea is beyond me.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 31 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm

Hero wrote:Alderweireld has signed for A. Madrid. Excellent signing there, few Premier league clubs wanted him.
Oh Tobias Sad

As for Nodge today, hoping to see Fer in the CM not behind RVW. Gonna be a good game, Saints are a good side. Fer vs Wanyama could be insane
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:04 pm

Something I heard on the grapevine today, was that Arsenal have made a bid for Ruddy which we have turned down, but apparantly he wants to talk to them.

I hope it's not true, but that's what my Norwich source told me. He's got a 60% hit rate so far (yes I am keeping count)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:18 pm

BamBam wrote:Yep, definitely applies to City, Monaco and PSG. Definitely doesn't apply to Madrid although they have various other advantages.

Chelsea .. hmmm barring the odd cup they weren't exactly winning titles and Champions League before the money came in .. they were pretty much a Spurs
Chelsea pre-Roman were miles ahead of the current Spurs team.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

Not a bad side certainly.

No. Position Player
1 GK Ed de Goey
2 DF Albert Ferrer
3 DF Celestine Babayaro
6 DF Marcel Desailly
7 DF Winston Bogarde
8 MF Frank Lampard
9 FW Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
11 MF Boudewijn Zenden
12 MF Mario Stanić
13 DF William Gallas
14 DF Graeme Le Saux
15 DF Mario Melchiot
17 MF Emmanuel Petit
20 MF Jody Morris
21 MF Enrique de Lucas
22 FW Eiður Guðjohnsen
23 GK Carlo Cudicini
25 FW Gianfranco Zola
26 DF John Terry
28 FW Filipe Oliveira
29 DF Robert Huth
30 MF Jesper Grønkjær
36 MF Joe Keenan
39 FW Carlton Cole

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:38 pm

Still wouldn't say miles in terms of the actual players, but I was talking about league finishes, trophies etc.

Never really a title contender, fighting for 3rd and 4th, much like the current Spurs side

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

-----------------Cudicini--------------
Melchiot---Gallas---Desaily---Le Saux
------------------Petit---------------
---------Gronkjaer---Lampard--------
------------------Zola-----------------
------Gudjohnsen---Hasslebaink------

Subs: Babayaro, Zenden, Stanic, Morris, de Lucas, Terry, de Goejj

V

-------------Lloris-------------
Walker---Kaboul---Chiriches---Vertonghen
-----------Capoue---Paulinho---------
Lamela------Eriksen--------Chadli
--------------Soldado--------------

Subs: Dembele, Friedel, Sandro, Lennon, Dawson, Holtby, Defoe

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

I was thinking a few years earlier Hero.

De Goey

Melchiot
Lebeouf
Desailly
Le Saux

Petrescu
Poyet
Deschamps/Di Matteo
Wise

Zola
Flo

Side that won the FA Cup and reached Champions League quarter final in 99/00 with half of them in teams that won the FA Cup in 97, League Cup, Cup Winners Cup & Super Cup in 98.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next