The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

+47
TheLittleScot
nth
teh_Dingmeister
TheMildlyFranticLlama
alive555
BigGee
Notch
jimbopip
A Simply Mesmeric Try
poddy89
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
Ozzy3213
Solid8
SirBurger
highland_scot
nickj
Dorothy_Mantooth
aucklandlaurie
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
MacKnocked-on
Tramptastic
Pat_Mustard
profitius
Manky-Flanker
VietGwentRevisited
madmaccas
cakeordeath
21st Century Schizoid Man
whocares
TJ
tigertattie
GLove39
alexgmacdonald
reallybored
RDW
Majestic83
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
George Carlin
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
Captain_Sensible
bsando
51 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 4 Empty Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by bsando Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right let's get down to business shall we?!

9/11/13
Scotland vs Japan
KO - 2.30pm

17/11/13
Scotland vs South Africa
KO - 3pm

23/11/13
Scotland vs Australia
KO - 6pm

First of all, the schedule for these three matches is super. Unlike last few years, Scotland will play a less formidable team first before two tough matches against SA and Aus. SA are on a roll at the moment and will be a good, stern test for Scotland before Australia. Injuries may be an issue however as we saw in the summer.

If Scotland beat Australia that will make it 3 wins in a row vs the Wallabies which would be a fantastic achievement. But obviously wins over any of these three teams will be great.

Players

Backs M Bennett (Glasgow), C Cusiter (Glasgow), De Luca (Edinburgh), A Dunbar (Glasgow), M Evans (Castres), T Heathcote (Bath), R Jackson (Glasgow), S Lamont (Glasgow), G Laidlaw (Edinburgh), S Maitland (Glasgow), H Pyrgos (Glasgow), M Scott (Edinburgh), T Seymour (Glasgow), D Taylor (Saracens), G Tonks (Edinburgh), T Visser (Edinburgh), D Weir (Glasgow).
Forwards J Barclay (Scarlets), J Beattie (Montpellier), K Brown (Saracens), B Cowan (London Irish), G Cross (Edinburgh), D Denton (Edinburgh), A Dickinson (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), C Fusaro (Glasgow), G Gilchrist (Edinburgh) R Grant (Glasgow), J Gray (Glasgow), R Gray (Castres), J Hamilton (Montpellier), R Harley (Glasgow), A Kellock (Glasgow), S Lawson (Newcastle), K Low (London Irish), M Low (Glasgow), P MacArthur (Glasgow), E Murray (Worcester), A Strokosch (Perpignan), T Swinson (Glasgow), J Welsh (Glasgow)

*Sorry for not updating this sooner. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago after four and a half years, three living together. I've been in a pretty bad place. However, I'm getting better and looking forward to these games so I'll continue to contribute when I can Wink

Last edited by bsando on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by RDW Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am

Fancy a career change to public relations GC?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Fancy a career change to public relations GC?
I am totally not good looking enough.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:46 am

Majestic83 wrote:
madmaccas wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:As I have said already the major unions who are successful or had success would be contacting the promising players on a weekly basis. Speaking to them about a range of things like how their training is going, how they are developing, how their goal kicking is, things like that. From what I believe it is not something the SRU do very well with the young prospects that are coming through.
Video wise then yes he has only had one senior pro game but he has played many other games for the Perpignan 2nd team and the espoirs which are all very high standard games and plenty of detail could have been spotted from these videos as well.

Saying that no one could have predicted Italy would pick him now is maybe a Scottish problem towards rugby in that there is no forward thinking or planning! Of course they should have seen this happening and done something to prevent Italy from making moves on the player.
Scotland doesn't have a big player base so it wouldn't have taken much effort.

Pro rugby is a short career these days due to injuries etc and the quicker they make the break through the better for their careers. If the SRU haven't sounded him out and Italy have then calling him spoilt and immature for making what is probably a pretty difficult  decision is totally wrong.
I don't know about that. There are countless articles and interviews in which young English, Welsh, Kiwi and South African players, when asked about their chances of being picked for their country, say they've not heard anything or been contacted. Some are fastracked or placed in an elite quad, which is something Scotland do with their brightest lights. Now if he slipped through the cracks then either there is an deeper problem, or he was simply not deemed good enough yet to make the list.

Certainly most of the young pros I know in England don't get weekly calls.

As I said in a previous post, if he feels more Italian then fair enough, good for him. If however he's only choosing Italy because he wants to be capped before his 21st birthday, and because Scotland haven't been kissing his backside, then good riddance. I've coached players who demand constant attention and bigging up and they're usually ego maniacs, it's a players job to make the selectors and the coaches sit up and pay attention - something he hasn't done yet.
Having been involved with pro rugby down in England I know quite a few of my team mates who were playing u20 international rugby were being contacted weekly by the senior national coaches on a weekly basis. This from what I understand is a common trend. This involved players from England, South Africa, Australia & Wales. There was very little contact from Scottish rugby officials as at the time there were a few players from Scotland in the Academy team and 1st team.

A few players I know who have been in the Scotland U20 team recently have also said similar things that the contact from the SRU is very poor and little contact is made once they have gone past the u20 age group.
Just read a couple of articles in the Scotsman that seem to refute that. Maybe they are in fact pretty good at keeping tabs on players.

Apparently they have been keeping tabs on him and were in touch with him as recently as last week!

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/scotland-hope-tommy-allan-may-make-italy-u-turn-1-3134757

In another article Duncan Taylor states that he was kept in contact with for a year before he was even selected for Scotland (and at that point he hadn't even played for Saracens first team yet!)

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/heineken-cup-duncan-taylor-dismisses-boring-tag-1-3137034

So I think it's a bit unfair for us to criticise the SRU on this occasion (note I said on this occasion!).

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Eeek! According to Johnnie Beattie senior, Hogg will out for November with a hand operation. Shocked Sad 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 pm

For once, I'm not too worried by this.

Yes it will suck not to have, arguably our most naturally talented player there, but Maitland is an able replacement, with Seymour/Schlong filling in on the wing.

I think, more than anything else, that it's dangerous to be a one-man team.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Agreed - if there's one area we can cope fairly well it is the back 3. It's a shame, but he's on 21 FFS - plenty time for him to play these big games yet!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Good points IanBru, just a bit daunting though going into the AI's with 25% of our Lions missing..!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

4 years ago if we'd lost a lion we'd be missing 33% of our lions!!!!!

If my math is correct...

This means...

Scotland are getting better...

Which makes us...

Dark Horses for a grandslam in the six nations...

Oh b*llocks it happened again.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Hogg has had wrist surgery and will be out for several weeks, obviously disappointing if he misses the AIs as it'll definitely weaken the team.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:06 pm

11. Visser 14. Seymour 15. Maitland OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24495463

don't worry, judging by the BBC article it might be Greig Laidlaw who's injured, not Hogg

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:48 pm

George Carlin wrote:11. Visser 14. Seymour 15. Maitland OK
Agreed. Been impressed with Seymour this season and he played well for Scotland in the summer. Deserves a few starts for Scotland in my view, and it looks like he's going to get a bit of a run for Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 pm

That's pretty poor from the BBC - the Scotsman does it all the time but I'd expect better from them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:17 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's pretty poor from the BBC - the Scotsman does it all the time but I'd expect better from them!
Hogg seems to have morphed in to Duncan Weir on the back page of today's Scotsman. Really careless as usual.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:41 pm

We saw this afternoon why Laidlaw is still #1 in the scrum half pecking order notworthy 

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Really optimistic about Scotland after today, we can put out a really good side if the Edinburgh players play as they did today

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Yup a few players really put their hands up and Laidlaw was truely great.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Denton has been very good all season too

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I've amended my chosen team to:

15. Maitland
14. Seymour
13. Bennett
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Weir
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Fusaro
6. Brown
5. Gray
4. Swinson
3. Murray
2. Ford
1. Grant

Although if Jonny Gray has a big game tomorrow against Botha and Williams then we could see a Gray-Gray partnership

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Ford was very good today too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ford was very good today too!
I may be wrong but I think it was 100% in the lineout?

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Plus several of theirs (thanks to Cox)!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:04 pm

I see that even Max Evans playing a full 80 was not enough to help Saints win against Castres.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Now fingers crossed that Glasgow can match Edinburgh and both can follow it up next week.

Neither have particularly difficult groups and both have their hardest opponent first up so if they can both grab a win this weekend then we may see two Scottish teams in the quarters.

Having said that I may be getting a bit ahead of myself

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:17 pm

If ever we needed evidence that Castres aren't taking Europe seriously this season, it's little Maxy Jazz playing the full 80... Run
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:19 pm

123456789 wrote:Now fingers crossed that Glasgow can match Edinburgh and both can follow  it up next week.

Neither have particularly difficult groups and both have their hardest opponent first up so if they can both grab a win this weekend then we may see two Scottish teams in the quarters.

Having said that I may be getting a bit ahead of myself
Since we're day dreaming, who likes the sound of a Edinburgh V Glasgow final in Cardiff next year!!!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:14 pm

when will the first scotland get together be ahead of the november games?

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Scotland training squad for the AIs will be announced next Tuesday (22nd).

Hope to see Bennett and Gray Jnr involved in some way.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:56 am

One of the perpignan coaches has said that tommy Allan could feature against Edinburgh in Sunday, and has also revealed that he's been away at the Italian training camp this week.

Would be very surprised if he chose Scotland now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 am

123456789 wrote:I've amended my chosen team to:

15. Maitland
14. Seymour
13. Bennett
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Weir
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Fusaro
6. Brown
5. Gray
4. Swinson
3. Murray
2. Ford
1. Grant

Although if Jonny Gray has a big game tomorrow against Botha and Williams then we could see a Gray-Gray partnership
That's a good team in my opinion, I think Scotland is the danger side this autumn, They showed again in SA that they can mix it up with big physical teams. I always fear Scotland at Murray field, for some reason we always struggle there.

I think the cold has something to do with it. And Scotland always lifts themselves against OZ and SA.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:24 am

If we do see two Gray(s) in the engine room... would that be a first in test rugby history to have 2 bros playing lock together?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:47 am

Probably a fair chance in terms of Scotland whocares, but I would be surprised if it was the first time anywhere given brothers are usually a similar size, especially twins.

Injuries permitting though I don’t think we should rush him in to Scotland given we’ve got Gray, Swinson, Hamilton and Kellock – Gray Jnr and Gilchrist should be in the training squad though to carry on their learning and development.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 am

My first contribution to this thread :

1. Grant
2. MacArthur
3. Murray
4. Swinson
5. Gray
6. Brown (C)
7. Barclay
8. Denton

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Bennet
14. Seymore
15. Maitland

Bench becomes a little trickey, would be tempted to bring Harley to cover lock and or backrow. Dickinson IMO has done enough at Edinburgh to merit a place. The new scrummaging laws seem to suit his style and he hasn't yet seemed to struggle for Edinburgh yet.

Cusiter would take the SH slot, and Lamont for a back slot too. Beyond that I feel it's all up for grabs.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 am

Got an interesting email from the SRU the other week regarding the Japan game (Also got to upgrade my seats for free Very Happy
After the final whistle the team will come together in front of the East Stand and the team photograph being organised by Official Kit Supplier, Macron, will be taken with the crowd in the back ground
- can only hope it's a resounding win. Imagine how awkward that photo would be after a Tonga type result!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:12 am

Interesting that most people have Denton at 8 with no further comment. He has improved a lot recently but is he definitely a better prospect than Beattie, a resurgent Ally Hogg or Kellybrows at 8 (with Harley at 6)?
Scotland XV for Autumn Internationals - Page 4 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 am

Denton has played every game this season for Edinburgh, and for the most part has played very well.

Brown is in and out of the sarries team since returning from injury, and is benched for their big game at Wembley.

I haven't seen beattie play this season to comment.

I'd go with Denton - particularly vs SA

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am

From what I've heard of Murray, his time in a Scotland shirt is over.

Time for one of the Glasgow boys to step up.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Duncan Taylor is playing 12 for Saracens against Toulouse tonight (Fritz & Poitrenaud are the Toulouse centres), interesting to see how he gets on against a top team. Could have a bearing on the AIs.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 pm

I'd love Duncan Taylor to come to Edinburgh next season - would be a really good addition to our squad. Can't see him coming though, especially if he's getting regular game time for Sarries.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 pm

No sign of Beattie either in the MHRC starting XV or even on the bench Shocked 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Aw schieze.. Has Jnr Beattie fallen out with another set of coaches ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Was at the Saracens Toulouse game on Friday at Wembley and was pretty impressed by Duncan Taylor. Looked the best of the Saracens backs carrying well and seemed to have a good pass on him. Was replaced by Joel Tomkins and it seemed to go all downhill for them at that point. A lot of the sarries fans them seemed pretty surprised Taylor was taken off as they seem to think he has been one of their best players this season. Kelly Brown put in a strong shift when he came on and put in a lot of unseen work at the breakdown. Despite Sarries losing and being on the back foot a lot of the 2nd half the back row looked more balanced when Brown came on.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 pm

didnt see the saracens game but in what i have seen this season from taylor has been very promising good to see scottish players developing at other clubs making our pool of players even wider, not every scottish player should have to be rushed into a scottish club as the chances arent always as good, i mean where will taylor be tested more saracens or edinburgh? so good to see, also brown looks good.

anyway training squad is suppossed to be announced tomorrow, any suprise inclusions or exclusions??

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Taylor looks to be a very hard working player, particularly in support and at the breakdown, I'm sure he'll get some game time in the AIs.
As it's a large training squad to be announced tomorrow there will probably be the odd surprise; perhaps Wasps hooker Neil Cochrane?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 pm

yeah im sure he will has he just been playing at 12? support is often one of scotlands problems so its good to see! loving the guenuine competition for quite of few of the places!!

i have never heard of him, will have to look out for him, if not now one for the future?

do you know how big the squad is?

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Big squad apparently, around 40 players so room for some young guys like Johnny Gray hopefully to at least gain experience.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Given England (and other countries' eg Australia) recent success with converting Rugby League players to Union I'm looking forward to watching Scotland's efforts in the upcoming League World Cup to see if there are any standout players that might be worth approaching for either Glasgow or Edinburgh, perhaps a barnstorming centre or two in the Alan Tait mould?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 pm

i can honestly say i have no idea what the scotland leauge team is like, are we in the top 10? would be good and another centre for edinburgh would be really good and an ideal place for some one if there was any leauge stars worth converting

experience is everything so i hope for the same as you that they include some youger players even if just the training squad,

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 am

Once again I am feeling hopeful. I think the change to the scrums will favour scotland as it negates the "cleverness" ( cheating) of some props.

Oh for a fit and on form meatball tho. Maybe he will be ready by the autumn internationals. Jackson may be on form right now but he will always have fragile confidence and place kicking remains an issue

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 am

poddy89 wrote:i can honestly say i have no idea what the scotland leauge team is like, are we in the top 10? would be good and another centre for edinburgh would be really good and an ideal place for some one if there was any leauge stars worth converting

experience is everything so i hope for the same as you that they include some youger players even if just the training squad,

Scottish rugby could do a lot worse than a player like Danny Brough.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next