The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

+45
R!skysports
king_carlos
tigertattie
RiscaGame
lostinwales
toml
marty2086
Tramptastic
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Margin_Walker
SRN
EST
PenfroPete
21st Century Schizoid Man
demosthenes
RuggerRadge2611
thegreenhat
Majestic83
highland_scot
Heaf
SirBurger
des
Ozzy3213
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
Prothero
madmaccas
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Eejit
TJ
Nematode
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
VinceWLB
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
49 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by BigGee Tue 08 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

tigertattie wrote:

Players like Niko, DTH, Big T are going to be easier to lure away with the £££'s getting shown!

Big T and DTH did not/are not going for more money. DTH is probably on the same sort of deal at Scarlets and Tachy will almost certainly be taking a pay cut.

Niko went for the money and hard to blame him for that, but it has not worked out brilliantly for him either. Who knows where that one will go, but hard to see him coming back to Glasgow and I am not convinced we would want him now.

Glasgow have a certain type of player that suits their budget, unpolished diamonds probably sums them up. A lot of players have come to Scotstoun now and left much better players. We will never be able to compete with the big boys but they usually want proven performers not prospects. With good scouting and a good reputation as being a place with a decent work ethic and somewhere that will give players a chance, we will hopefully keep some decent players coming on board.

Sarto fits that mould very well and it will be very interesting to watch his development over the next couple of years.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XI - The Undiscovered Country

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 09 Mar 2016, 7:51 am

Good bit of business by Toonie and Co. re Sarto. I have no doubt seeing his old mucker Favaro settle in very well ( he, SF, is fast becoming the sort of mental case hero that Bernie Stortoni was at The Ws) would have helped.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:09 am

Why did DTH leave then? Same money but going to (by all accounts) a lesser team! Did he feel he wasnt getting enough game time at Glasgow? Did he decide to leave before Maitland did?

Big T will either go back to Oz to try and get his international cap or he'll be off to englandshire or France for more money than Glasgow would be able to pay him!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:23 am

tigertattie wrote:Why did DTH leave then? Same money but going to (by all accounts) a lesser team! Did he feel he wasnt getting enough game time at Glasgow? Did he decide to leave before Maitland did?

Big T will either go back to Oz to try and get his international cap or he'll be off to englandshire or France for more money than Glasgow would be able to pay him!

I thought DTH was told he was surplus to requirements and, along with Welsh, were not offered contracts to make room for Big T. Either that or they got lowballed. Maitland, I believed, was purely position change.

Big T, I thought, wanted to go back to Sydney to be with his family and try to get caps for Aus. That was the whole point of if he did not settle in a year, not lets go on a jolly to Paris. If he goes off to France or England, he should be ashamed of his behaviour after the histrionics before the season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 09 Mar 2016, 11:17 am

I'm not really disappointed that T is leaving. He's got the potential to be a great player, however, I'd rather watch players like Mark Bennett and Stuart Hogg score well crafted tries than just T running over the opposition.

I also feel he just doesn't suit this league. He's far more effective on a sunny day in good conditions so, for his sake, I think it's best he's moving back to Australia.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:08 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Why did DTH leave then? Same money but going to (by all accounts) a lesser team! Did he feel he wasnt getting enough game time at Glasgow? Did he decide to leave before Maitland did?

I thought DTH was told he was surplus to requirements and, along with Welsh, were not offered contracts to make room for Big T. Either that or they got lowballed. Maitland, I believed, was purely position change.

Big T, I thought, wanted to go back to Sydney to be with his family and try to get caps for Aus. That was the whole point of if he did not settle in a year, not lets go on a jolly to Paris. If he goes off to France or England, he should be ashamed of his behaviour after the histrionics before the season.

I would be absolutely astounded if one of the best wingers in the league was told he was not needed to make room for an unproven winger from the other side of the world.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:23 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:

I would be absolutely astounded if one of the best wingers in the league was told he was not needed to make room for an unproven winger from the other side of the world.

DTH said that he was made an offer from Glasgow, which was slightly less than Scarlets, but was in the ball park and that was not the reason he moved. He felt that he needed a change and liked what Scarlets were offerring. They are certainly building a decent team over there, so maybe it will turn out to be a decent move.

Undoubatably the impending arrival of Tachy played a part in this decesion making, maybe Glasgow would have made him a better offer had he not been coming. The attractions of Tachy were that he was young and had so much potential and also that he may have become a project player to boot.It has not really worked out, but you can see the logic behind the decesion making. At the end of the day DTH was an unknown player when he came to Glasgow, making better players out of poeple is what the club does well.

DTH certainly felt that he left with no hard feelings, saying that the door was never closed.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:49 pm

Apparently DTH felt (and rightly so) Glasgow didn't show him enough respect, waiting desperately late to offer him a contract extension. And by that time Scarlets had already given him an offer. Rumours is Naiyaravoro was already set to come and if you can read between the lines Glasgow didn't want him at the club anymore. Big mistake.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 09 Mar 2016, 8:42 pm

No. No. No ! Feckin No! It was an monumental SRU feck-up re dates that done it.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:No. No. No !   Feckin No!  It was an monumental SRU feck-up re dates that done it.

Someone call Nurse Ratched....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:12 am

stuff the nurse, just get dignitas in!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:14 am

On the subject of Glasgow wingers;

should we call Signor Sarto ... Jean Paul?

Well we already have a Simone (Favaro). They'd make a nice couple, in a Platonic sort of way .
drumroll

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:21 am

jimbopip wrote:On the subject of Glasgow wingers;

should we call Signor Sarto ... Jean Paul?

Well we already have a Simone (Favaro). They'd make a nice couple, in a Platonic sort of way .
drumroll

clap

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 10 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

Rumours that Edinburgh may be signing this wee fella https://www.westernforce.com.au/team-member/solomoni-rasolea

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Mar 2016, 1:30 pm

nickj wrote:Rumours that Edinburgh may be signing this wee fella https://www.westernforce.com.au/team-member/solomoni-rasolea

Good find. I haven't watched Super Rugby for a good few years so know next to nothing about him. Looks like a replacement for Sam Beard.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:06 pm

wish list for Edinburgh over the summer:

A new 10 (I'm still not convinced by meatball)
a new 12 (if Matt Scott (12) is really going to be leaving us)
a 13 (would like him to be SQ but can't see that happening)
a 14 (of the like of DTH, Visser, Seymour - you know, a winger that scores tries)

oh, and lets hope we keep all our forwards
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:15 pm

With Scholes signing from Ulster I think we're ok for wingers. Remember there's Helu, Hoyland, Fife and Brown as well.

This guy looks like cover at 12/13, which is certainly welcome.

Agreed on 10. Weir will no doubt be starting the season as first choice but I want Burleigh to move back to 12 permanently and Te Rure aside that leaves us short at 10 (with Tonks leaving and Kinghorn focusing on 15).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:30 pm

I wonder if Tom Galbraith will start to push into contention. He is the current U20 12, and from what I have seen this season, looks very competent.

Regarding the 10 issue, I suppose it very much depends on where Kinghorn is going to end up. I wonder where he himself wants to play, he has been very good at 15, but I think has played most of his rugby at 10. Either way, there are openings in the Edinbugh squad at both 10 and 15.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:30 pm

I can't help but think letting Beard go was a mistake.

He can't have been on big bucks and looked useful whenever I saw him.

He was also going to become Scots qualified shortly.

Junior seems to have been capped by Ozzy 7's. Making him NSQ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Rasolea

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 10 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

yeah I think that if he's played for the 7s then that's him locked into Oz!

Would still like a good SQ 13! Who else is there that plays 13 other than Bennett? (first person to say Ritchie V gets banned from the forum)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 10 Mar 2016, 4:35 pm

tigertattie wrote:yeah I think that if he's played for the 7s then that's him locked into Oz!

Would still like a good SQ 13! Who else is there that plays 13 other than Bennett? (first person to say Ritchie V gets banned from the forum)

I think Mikey Dragon said Ritchie Vernon.

Or was it Glwad? It might have been Lord Dowlais actually.

TBH, it could have been all three of them chin

Best ban all three just in case.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 10 Mar 2016, 5:00 pm

laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 11 Mar 2016, 9:38 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
nickj wrote:Rumours that Edinburgh may be signing this wee fella https://www.westernforce.com.au/team-member/solomoni-rasolea

Good find. I haven't watched Super Rugby for a good few years so know next to nothing about him. Looks like a replacement for Sam Beard.

Solomoni is a good player, mostly plays at 12 or on occasions the wing. Very hard runner who punches a big hole in the opposition defence, often needing a couple players to bring him down. His defence in general is pretty good.
Would be interesting to see how he would adapt to the softer pitches in the NH and obviously the colder wetter climate as he seems to thrive on the hard surfaces in the SH.
Could be a great signing if he does come but depending on how he adapts to the colder climates he could be a dud as well.
It won't happen but I would take him on a 2 week trial just to see how he adapted to the playing style and surfaces here.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 11 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

Well if the surface is a concern we ought to keep him away from the away leg of the 1872 Cup. The ploughed field at Scotstoun will be like nothing he's played on before.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Mar 2016, 5:22 pm

That wedding lark was fun - I'm assuming I can expect the same amount of enjoyment from the rest of my married life? Very Happy

So, did I miss much??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 11 Mar 2016, 5:44 pm

Not really, but if that short sighted bridesmaid starts asking questions about role playing rituals just act dumb, would you?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 12 Mar 2016, 3:20 pm

Good to see Jean Paul get a try there. He better get used to scoring from next season when he's playing the reigning Pro12 champions and next year's 1872 cup holders.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Mar 2016, 8:14 pm

Greig Tonks straight in at 10 for LI against Sarries in front of 60,000 people in the USA - no pressure!

Maitland, Cowan, Hamilton and Brown also involved.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 12 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That wedding lark was fun - I'm assuming I can expect the same amount of enjoyment from the rest of my married life? Very Happy

So, did I miss much??

Congratulations!! You made it. Now the hard work starts....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 13 Mar 2016, 8:52 pm

tigertattie wrote:yeah I think that if he's played for the 7s then that's him locked into Oz!

Would still like a good SQ 13! Who else is there that plays 13 other than Bennett?

The Vernonater - he plays 13

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 14 Mar 2016, 9:55 am

TJ wrote:

Would still like a good SQ 13! Who else is there that plays 13 other than Bennett?

The Vernonater - he plays 13

dude! you missed the last part of my point when you quoted me! You are henceforth banned from the internet for the next 3 eons!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 14 Mar 2016, 10:56 am

Re SQ13: Robbie Fergusson has had joy at London Scottish? Can the LS crowd confirm on that one?

Groves seems to have fallen off a bit. The Scots centres thankfully have Taylor (who can play both centre positions and wings), Dunbar (plays both centre positions) and Scott (mainly IC and can cover OC). Really it gives a depth chart of 4 outside centres with Bennett (Horne playing inside with 1 of them outside). Groves, Vernon and Horne are the guys beyond that. Depth is not bad even if they are not pure OC's at the top.

Dean and Fergusson are the guys coming through with Hutchison looking the next big prospect (more of a 10 but who knows). Jamie Johnstone is meant to be a 13 but has not really played much XV's rugby. Maybe the younger Grove brother and Johnson will join in on that one as well but they are 12's who can play 13 and they need to prove they are able to excel against top teams (Johnson is closer to proving that).

Unless Edinburgh spend big on a SH guy at 13 who is project or has a grandparent born on British army soil somewhere, it will have to be a swap with Glasgow who have the lion's share of centres.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:48 am

Nel for Vernon maybe. angel

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 Mar 2016, 11:59 am

So is there anyone out there who thinks Edinburgh still stand a chance of Top 6?

We have 5 games left:

Dragons A
Zebre H
Leinster A
Munster A
Blues H

And the tables currently stands

4th - Ulster played 17, 51 points
5th - Munster played 16, 47 points
6th - Edinburgh played 17, 43 points
7th - Glasgow played  15, 43 points
8th - Ospreys played 17, 39 points

I really think that's the season over for us.  Even if we win all remaining games we are probably still going to miss out, and that is a long shot - especially given Leinster and Munster only have the league to play for.

The damage was done earlier in the season, and losing 4 out of our last 5 games has been the nail in the coffin.

7th is probably the best we can hope for - at least that is progress... picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 14 Mar 2016, 12:24 pm

Alas, yes, I fear that the dirty soap dodging ones will leap frog us into the 6th spot.

I really cant see us getting wins away to leinster and Munster and will be lucky to come away with a LBP in both of those games.

Even if we did get more from em, I can't see Glasgow wasting their two games in hand!

We're still the reigning 1872 cup champions though!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 14 Mar 2016, 1:16 pm

Edinburgh lost key games at the wrong time. They need 5 points a game from the Dragons, Zebre and Blues. In addition, turn over one of the Irish provinces (preferably Munster) away. 19 points would probably be enough. Someone always has a dip at the end of the season. Maybe Scarlets who have all the Welsh derbies with Munster away and Glasgow home?

Staying ahead of Osprey's, finishing with more wins than losses and fleshing out the fringes of the squad for next season (back-up 10, a quality centre, back up back row, 5th lock) are the focus for me.

Glasgow better make the playoffs. Need a team to fill Murrayfield.... Wink

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:So is there anyone out there who thinks Edinburgh still stand a chance of Top 6?

We have 5 games left:

Dragons A
Zebre H
Leinster A
Munster A
Blues H

I really think that's the season over for us.

Agreed. Far too many points thrown away this season. Of those remaining fixtures I'm confident of at least 8 points from the home games vs Zebre and Blues, but I don't see us getting much from the two away fixtures in Ireland. Munster away is the key game really if we think we can reel them in.

I think we need, as a minimum, to win 4 from 5. I'm willing to concede that beating Leinster away is unlikely, so that means beating Munster and the Dragons away from home. In effect the next two matches must be won to have a chance, and we really need 5 points from the Zebre contest. Luckily I doubt Nel, Ford and Dickinson will be tired.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:So is there anyone out there who thinks Edinburgh still stand a chance of Top 6?

We have 5 games left:

Dragons A
Zebre H
Leinster A
Munster A
Blues H

I really think that's the season over for us.

Agreed. Far too many points thrown away this season. Of those remaining fixtures I'm confident of at least 8 points from the home games vs Zebre and Blues, but I don't see us getting much from the two away fixtures in Ireland. Munster away is the key game really if we think we can reel them in.

I think we need, as a minimum, to win 4 from 5. I'm willing to concede that beating Leinster away is unlikely, so that means beating Munster and the Dragons away from home. In effect the next two matches must be won to have a chance, and we really need 5 points from the Zebre contest. Luckily I doubt Nel, Ford and Dickinson will be tired.

We should have all Scotland players back from the Zebre game onwards, and there are breaks between games for Europe so we should be able to play them for 80 most games (as I am sure he will do!).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 Mar 2016, 2:33 pm

Munster have Blues (minus Ireland internationalists), Leinster and Connacht away still to play so there might be a chance for us if they slip up majorly. It would all come down to our game against them away from home, and it would be one of our greatest victories ever if we managed to win that and leapfrog Munster.

We need to get into that position first, which knowing Edinburgh will be no easy task!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:58 am

Rumour has it that DTH is leaving the Scarlets due to 'family reasons'...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:12 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Rumour has it that DTH is leaving the Scarlets due to 'family reasons'...

Do his family not like sheep?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:13 am

Any indication he's coming home?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:14 am

Very much rumour just now - on both the Glasgow and Scarlets forums apparently.

I'd be surprised if he came back to Glasgow - I'm sure there'll be some big clubs interested.

Depends what his family issue are - maybe they miss the bright lights and great weather that Glasgow has to offer...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:17 am

nickj wrote:Any indication he's coming home?

Do Glasgow still have room for him now that they have signed Sato?

No news on the future of the Venerable Sean yet either, that might be his only way back unless the rumours of clubs sniffing around Tommy S are true, which I hope they are not!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:19 am

The scarlets forum has them snapping up Jonny McNicholl too Shocked Shocked

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

nickj wrote:The scarlets forum has them snapping up Jonny McNicholl too Shocked Shocked

is he world class?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:05 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Rumour has it that DTH is leaving the Scarlets due to 'family reasons'...

Do his family not like sheep?

Perhaps one of them did, and that's the issue?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:06 pm

nickj wrote:The scarlets forum has them snapping up Jonny McNicholl too Shocked Shocked

If he's not Welsh qualified, and he's not being signed as a project player, then that may not be a bad thing as Scotland could obviously still call him up. As long as he is playing in Europe and wants to make himself available to Scotland.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:11 pm

tigertattie wrote:

is he world class?

According to Wiki the NZ have this to say about McNicholl:

A new Crusaders chant is based over Johnny and his nickname:

Johnny,Johnny, The Pirate of the South, Johnny,Johnny, He loves a good old stout, Johnny,Johnny, You will love him too, Johnny,Johnny, He scores a try or two.

Haven't seen him play but he sounds useful. Is he SQ?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

Yep. We've been tracking him for a while.

https://www.606v2.com/t57127p100-scottish-professional-players

I hope he's doesn't actually like too many stouts...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next