The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

+37
GLove39
Anglobraveheart
bsando
poddy89
reallybored
NeilyBroon
lostinwales
PhilBB
Manky-Flanker
Prothero
R!skysports
SRN
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
VinceWLB
Nematode
BigGee
EST
Eejit
RuggerRadge2611
Majestic83
Hazel Sapling
MacKnocked-on
nickj
des
TheMildlyFranticLlama
EWT Spoons
IanBru
cakeordeath
jimbopip
highland_scot
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 8 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 21 Apr 2016, 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

A Brief History of Time-Wasting
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 8 BHO-Astronauts-Animals-in-space-00012087782635

https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
https://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii
https://www.606v2.com/t59409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ix
https://www.606v2.com/t60764-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-x-rated
https://www.606v2.com/t61904-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-xi-the-undiscovered-country

Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV
1872 Champions

Edinburgh's Fixtures & Results (click to show):

Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs
1872 Runners-up

Glasgow Warrior's Fixtures & Results (click to show):

Ladies and Gents, Girls and Boys, it's season finale!

Guinness PRO12 Play Offs
Fri 20 May 19:45 - Semi Final
Leinster Rugby 30 - 18   Ulster Rugby - RDS Arena 19,100

Sat 21 May 18:30 - Semi Final
Connacht Rugby  16 - 11   Glasgow Warriors - Galway Sportsground 7,800

Sat 28 May 17:30 - Grand Final
Leinster Rugby  10 - 20  Connacht Rugby  - BT Murrayfield - 34,550

Cinderella story or what?! Congrats to the Galway posse who were the form team of the season!

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 8:08 pm; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated scores from finals)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 18 May 2016, 11:33 am

A season of falling ST but an increase towards the back end of attendance (say average 3500+ in the last 2-3 home games) would be a good sign. Edinburgh need some success next season, maybe even a home quarter in the Challenge Cup to try and tempt people in.

If Edinburgh have not announced everyone, does this mean Glasgow will be announcing a couple more?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 May 2016, 12:37 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:A season of falling ST but an increase towards the back end of attendance (say average 3500+ in the last 2-3 home games) would be a good sign. Edinburgh need some success next season, maybe even a home quarter in the Challenge Cup to try and tempt people in.

If Edinburgh have not announced everyone, does this mean Glasgow will be announcing a couple more?

Ritchie V has signed on for next season.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 18 May 2016, 12:43 pm

Vernon on a one year prove it deal. Will be like a new signing after the injury this season. Not quite what I had in mind though...

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 May 2016, 1:10 pm

Sick pay topped up another 12 months.

Not a great decision to be honest.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 18 May 2016, 1:20 pm

Last post, nearly a month ago. Anyone would think I'm a parent now.

Why didn't anyone warn me this was such hard work?!!!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 18 May 2016, 1:22 pm

warning warning Mr Scones, the clear inference is that Richie V is malingering. Were you not paying attention to Rory Lamont and the emotional/mental turmoil that players go through when injured? I'm of the opinion that His Richieness gives his all whenever he pulls on a Glasgow Jersey (whatever number ) and I'll be delighted to see him back on the field.

We may differ in our opinion of him as a player (and if we make Murrayfield, buy me a pint and I'll explain why you're wrong) but I expect better from you than to knock a man for being injured.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 May 2016, 1:31 pm

jimbopip wrote:warning warning  Mr Scones, the clear inference is that Richie V is malingering. Were you not paying attention to Rory Lamont and the emotional/mental turmoil that players go through when injured? I'm of the opinion that His Richieness gives his all whenever he pulls on a Glasgow Jersey (whatever number ) and I'll be delighted to see him back on the field.

We may differ in our opinion of him as a player (and if we make Murrayfield, buy me a pint and I'll explain why you're wrong) but I expect better from you than to knock a man for being injured.

Laugh

Fair play Jimbo, but there's a strong possibility Glasgow won't be at MF in a couple of weeks time. I'll stick a tenner on Connacht though which will boost their chances no end.

But with regards to Vernon, there's no doubting his effort - it's just his ability I question. I don't know.....I just don't see it.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 18 May 2016, 1:48 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
jimbopip wrote:warning warning  Mr Scones, the clear inference is that Richie V is malingering. Were you not paying attention to Rory Lamont and the emotional/mental turmoil that players go through when injured? I'm of the opinion that His Richieness gives his all whenever he pulls on a Glasgow Jersey (whatever number ) and I'll be delighted to see him back on the field.

Laugh

Fair play Jimbo, but there's a strong possibility Glasgow won't be at MF in a couple of weeks time. I'll stick a tenner on Connacht though which will boost their chances no end.

But with regards to Vernon, there's no doubting his effort - it's just his ability I question. I don't know.....I just don't see it.

Ah, Mr Scones, as Damon Runyon himself once said,

"I am long ago coming to the conclusion that anything a person is wishing to do in this life the odds are 6:4 against."

So, if you lose your last tenner on Connacht does that mean I buy you a pint while you explain to me how gambling is a mug's game?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 May 2016, 3:10 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Oh one other thing I forgot to mention.  He sees the move to Myerside as an ideal way to increase season tickets, or at least more folk buying tickets to the matches early, by basically utilising the first rule of economics: supply and demand.

Basically at the moment, a lot of fans don't bother with season tickets because there is no supply issues.  

On average there are generally at least 60k seats available at MF (in theory).  So some fans don't consider a ticket until the day before or the day of the game and quite often don't get a ticket because they decide against it for whatever reason.  Having a smaller capacity stadium means that supply is lower so rather than having no issues getting tickets it might create one, therefore folk will get in early, or take out season tickets to ensure they can come to the match.

The only issue with that is for at least the trial period we will be stuck Solomons so demand might also still be low due to the chronic rugby on offer, but it makes sense in theory.

I can see where they are coming from, but I can't help but feel we're really talking about a fall in both supply and demand, with one not actually correlating to the other. Supply falling because of the smaller stadium, and demand falling because people aren't sure whether they went to trek out to Myreside on a Friday evening. I can see they are playing the long game, but the key for me next season is to get as many people to games at Myreside in the second half of the season (which they clearly do get), but also to maximise revenue for the first half of the season and not just write it off (which I feel they are overlooking).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 May 2016, 3:39 pm

Oh, I keep remembering things that was said, Petrie is in talks with the Pro12 folks about fixtures for next season to ensure that we get some choice games in the 2nd half of the season, basically to try and get as many folk down to experience it as possible.  

Also due to not playing at MF, he's trying to get a game against a Welsh or Irish team, the day before we play Ireland or Wales in the 6 nations, to try and get as many folk there as possible.  Sure, this won't help home fans, but it's potentially extra punters through the gate that wasn't available to us previously.

You could be right FES that both will fall, but I really hope the folk will at least try it, it's not that hard to get to Myerside so I hopeful that won't put folk off.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 May 2016, 4:03 pm

I will try it most certainly, but I just won't commit to a season ticket.

Presumably the annual beating of Glasgow will still occur at Murrayfield?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 May 2016, 4:09 pm

1872 victory parades (and games) will be at Murrayfield

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 May 2016, 4:14 pm

Perhaps we could run the open top bus victory parade between Murrayfield and Myreside this year. May as well go ahead and book the bus.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 May 2016, 5:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Perhaps we could run the open top bus victory parade between Murrayfield and Myreside this year. May as well go ahead and book the bus.
You could fill a tram with rose petals and set that off. Oh, wait a minute. You want something that moves, right?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 18 May 2016, 5:19 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Perhaps we could run the open top bus victory parade between Murrayfield and Myreside this year. May as well go ahead and book the bus.

I would condescend to answer that comment with my usual witty banter BUT I'm too busy thinking about the upcoming play off and hopefully a final where we successfully defend our title. But you carry on dreaming of winning the 1872 Consolation Cup.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 May 2016, 12:05 pm

Myreside is a great move. I'll definitely get along there easier than Murrayfield to be honest.

Myreside is 15 minute walk from Waverly and the Merlin pub in Morningside is en route. Happy with that!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 19 May 2016, 12:23 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Myreside is a great move. I'll definitely get along there easier than Murrayfield to be honest.

Myreside is 15 minute walk from Waverly and the Merlin pub in Morningside is en route. Happy with that!

Whilst I agree I think Myerside is potentially a good move, do you mean Waverly station?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu 19 May 2016, 12:27 pm

I think he means a 15 minute walk for the BFG.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 May 2016, 12:27 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Myreside is a great move. I'll definitely get along there easier than Murrayfield to be honest.

Whilst I agree I think Myerside is potentially a good move, do you mean Waverly station?

Aye, ok slightly longer than 15 minutes....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 May 2016, 1:37 pm

Interesting you say that Radge - some of the most vocal opponents of the move on social media gave been Fifers saying the extra travel means they won't be able to make it anymore.

My personal favourite was a guy saying he travels 50 miles each way to see Edinburgh - other than clearly being crazy travelling such a long way to watch feckin Edinburgh, an extra 1.7 miles isn't much on a 50 mile trip!

And that's assuming he'd drive via Murrayfield which is probably unlikely.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 May 2016, 3:48 pm

There are a few Edinburgh fans at work and I seem to be the main voice of dissent. Fair to say the move appears to have been on the whole well received.

One question I was asked and didn't know the answer: will tickets be cheaper?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 May 2016, 3:52 pm

No - ST and ticket prices will be the same

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 May 2016, 9:37 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 29 May 2016, 10:01 am

Bad news

SDM wrote:An ambitious project that aimed to farm Scotland’s best young rugby talent out to London Scottish is on the verge of collapse after just four months.

Sportsmail can reveal the move is in danger of breaking down following an argument between the SRU and the English Championship outfit over training-ground relocation costs.

The row is believed to centre around the financing of a move from the club’s Richmond HQ to the state-of-the art-training facilities at The Lensbury Hotel in Middlesex where the English national side bases itself for home games.

The agreement between London Scottish and the SRU is already under threat after just four months +4
The agreement between London Scottish and the SRU is already under threat after just four months
It places the future of London Scottish boss Sean Lineen, an SRU employee, under threat +4
It places the future of London Scottish boss Sean Lineen, an SRU employee, under threat

When the 1990 Grand Slam legend took over, with ex-Edinburgh captain Roddy Grant as his forwards coach, the club were third from bottom of the Championship before rising to a respectable mid-table finish under his stewardship.

As an SRU employee, Lineen is unlikely to be allowed to continue next season if the disagreement is not resolved. He was unavailable for comment on Friday.

The first players to move south under the agreement included winger Rory Hughes, who arrived on loan from Glasgow Warriors, and Scottish Rugby Academy players Robbie Fergusson, George Horne and Jack Cosgrove.

Ten young Scottish players were earmarked to move to the Richmond-based outfit next season with others in the pipeline

Instead of playing at a higher level in England they will now have to be sent out to amateur teams in the Scottish Premiership instead.

The initial plan was for Scotland's best young players to try and develop at London Scottish +4
The initial plan was for Scotland's best young players to try and develop at London Scottish
In the long-term, the plan was to regularly loan players from Edinburgh and Glasgow Warriors to London Scottish, as well as Scottish rugby academy and national age-grade players, to give them experience and bolster the ranks of the English-based club.

In January, SRU chief executive Mark Dodson described the close relationship between his organisation and London Scottish as ‘an exciting partnership which benefits both organisations which had come about after months of planning.’

He went on to say that both organisations ‘shared the common objective of developing and improving Scottish rugby’.

London Scottish chairman Sir David Reid said at the same time that the relationship between the union and London Scottish had never been stronger.

An SRU spokesman said last night they had ‘no comment’ to make while Sportsmail received no reply to two phone calls and two emails sent to officials at London Scottish.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 29 May 2016, 10:28 am

Lets hope it is a case of journalist making 2 plus 2 equal 5.

It is a very good opportunity for both sides and would be a great shame to see it fall down.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 29 May 2016, 10:32 am

If it was Ian Morrison then maybe but Rob Robertson is usually the first hack to get gossip and team announcements from the SRU

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SRN Sun 29 May 2016, 9:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If it was Ian Morrison then maybe but Rob Robertson is usually the first hack to get gossip and team announcements from the SRU

Afraid I've heard some similar grumbles. There are a couple of people who think, possibly pessimistically, that the deal was only done to pay lip service to the Exiles. To be fair, when it comes down to it what have the SRU given them? A coach who has been on the payroll but knocking between roles since leaving Glasgow, and a recently retired player with no coaching experience. What they really need is a bit of cold hard cash and help in joining the PRO12, neither of which look like they'll be forthcoming.

Shame really.

SRN

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 May 2016, 9:42 am

London Scottish just issued a statement about this on their website. It confirms that the SRU have pulled out and to say that they are unhappy about it would be a massive understatement!

They very much imply that they have been shafted by the SRU and have also been left in the lurch for next season and are now short of players. The had orginally been expecting 14 players to come down to play for them, then whittled down to 10 and now none.

Clearly that is their version of events and there will be another side to the story, but they are not in a great position at the start of pre-season, which for them is a week away.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 May 2016, 9:48 am

Just when you think the SRU are finally going in a positive direction

The Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) Board has ended the Development Partnership we had been operating since January.
However, Chairman Sir David Reid has reacted swiftly to claims in the Scottish Sunday Times that the SRU's decision was motivated by concerns "about the business model and commercial viability" of London Scottish.

"The SRU can have no concerns whatsoever about our finances," said Sir David. "The SRU Board has known all along that our model, as for most Championship clubs, requires investors to step up and support the operational costs of running the club," he told the LSFC website, "and since 2008 our great group of over 140 investors has contributed over £5m to the cause. They will be bridging the gap as usual next season, though we have been closing the gap and need to raise much raise less than in previous years."

"Remember, this partnership was the SRU's idea in the first place, and they offered to second 14 players as well as coaching and support staff. We therefore budgeted accordingly to fund fewer players and instead to cover the extra costs of accommodation and better training facilities. When, only last month, the SRU revised the offer to only ten players, and none of them senior players, London Scottish had to find extra players at extra cost. With pre-season a few weeks away, our budget and planning were suddenly blown off course."

"We therefore questioned the support costs we were due to cover, and sought to negotiate this point. However we agreed last week to find the additional funds, only to be told the SRU felt they could not justify their own expenditure on the project."

President Rod Lynch said "To have something like this dropped in our lap one week before pre-season training starts has an obvious financial and operational impact on us. We will now have to scramble in the market for replacements.

"It would be an understatement to say we are disappointed. The Club has worked tirelessly for more than a year since we reached agreement, to bring this Partnership to fruition. We were committed to playing our part in full over the next three seasons, which included providing finance to support the Partnership.

"We maintain that the English RFU Championship is the right place to introduce Scotland's talented young players to the rigours of professional rugby, within the exile Scottish family.

"We believe the Partnership, which had effectively been in operation since the SRU announced it to the press in January, was the way forward for Scottish Rugby. The increasing co-operation, with coaching support from Sean Lineen and Roddy Grant, and young players on loan from Scotland, seemed an exciting foretaste of what was to come. Instead, Scottish Rugby, and the talented young Scots who want to play for their country will be the poorer."

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 30 May 2016, 11:02 am

Well just reading those reports it sounds like the SRU have once again taken a potentially positive situation and made a complete and utter mess of it.

There will no doubt be two sides to this, but the SRU are the party here with the financial clout to make this happen, and provide our fringe players with a superb opportunity to develop in a more competitive environment (not to mention the great experience for the likes of Roddy Grant entering coaching).

A sad day for Scottish rugby, once again at the making of the hands of the SRU.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 May 2016, 11:14 am

Rubbish statement from the SRU

After a period of review and reflection (at the end of the season) the Scottish Rugby Board decided not to deepen the relationship with London Scottish further as the performance environment in place was not sufficiently developed to offer the player pathway we had envisaged.

It is disappointing that despite the best efforts of both parties we have been unable to progress the player development pathway as we had both hoped. We will stay close to London Scottish and remain supportive of their strategic ambitions.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 30 May 2016, 11:16 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Rubbish statement from the SRU

After a period of review and reflection (at the end of the season) the Scottish Rugby Board decided not to deepen the relationship with London Scottish further as the performance environment in place was not sufficiently developed to offer the player pathway we had envisaged.

It is disappointing that despite the best efforts of both parties we have been unable to progress the player development pathway as we had both hoped. We will stay close to London Scottish and remain supportive of their strategic ambitions.

That is awful. I'll bet whoever wrote that thought he/she was being really clever.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 May 2016, 11:23 am

That is just sh1t is it not. What a bland load of rubbish.

What player development pathway are they going to use in place of the London Scottish option, thats what I would like to know. Have we one that is better developed, it does not spring to mind?

If there was a genuine reason for pulling out of this, then surely they would be better coming out and saying it rather than coming out with a load of old tripe like that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 May 2016, 11:33 am

I'm pretty sure the real reason is 'it's too expensive now'

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 30 May 2016, 11:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm pretty sure the real reason is 'it's too expensive now'

It would be good to see the numbers broken down. For example I wonder whether firing Scott Johnson would go some way to bridging the gap?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 May 2016, 11:40 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm pretty sure the real reason is 'it's too expensive now'

It would be good to see the numbers broken down. For example I wonder whether firing Scott Johnson would go some way to bridging the gap?

You could fund 10 academy players for his salary!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 30 May 2016, 12:53 pm

Regardless of who's to blame for this breakdown of relations,from LS's statement it looks like it's the SRU, I'm enraged by this man sausage-up.
London Scottish are historically the pre-eminent club in Scottish rugby, having supplied more international players than any other. Playing in the Championship they already provide superior playing opportunities than the Prem clubs in Scotland even before you consider their discussed ambition to join the Pro 12. If the Italian teams were to be replaced with LS and London Welsh then quite how things would work out now with the breakdown of relations with the SRU who knows? Not good I imagine.
This public falling out doesn't look good for either side and is frankly embarrassing for the SRU.
Whoever is responsible for this; Johnson? Dodson? SRU accountants? should be held accountable and should resign if necessary.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 30 May 2016, 1:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Rubbish statement from the SRU

What a load of baws that is. Playing against quality, fully professional sides not sufficiently developed? Looks to me the SRU have dropped the ball badly on this one.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 30 May 2016, 2:19 pm

This is just rubbish, isn't it? This has all the hallmarks of a Scott Johnson balls up, I would be willing to bet a sizeable amount that he has managed to screw this up. He probably promised London Scottish the earth and then failed to back it up, that's his style.

What makes this particularly galling, is that this is such an obvious win win for everybody concerned. It has taken since the advent of professionalism for this to relationship to come together, and I can see it being another 20 years before they want to do business with the SRU again.

Also, I know that I am immediately jumping on the SRU here and there could be another side to this, but the SRU's empty PR statement makes me very doubtful that the blame can be squared at LS.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 30 May 2016, 3:01 pm

Shame that the Prawn munching massive can only dream of a bus ride through Edinburgh as the peak of their yearly achievements. Not even dreaming of a tram ride?

I suppose while they are on their hop on, hop off senior citizen tour of the docks, we can enjoy the delights European culture in the top flight again, maybe even hiring a pedalo

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 30 May 2016, 3:07 pm

EST wrote:This is just rubbish, isn't it?  This has all the hallmarks of a Scott Johnson balls up, I would be willing to bet a sizeable amount that he has managed to screw this up. He probably promised London Scottish the earth and then failed to back it up, that's his style.

What makes this particularly galling, is that this is such an obvious win win for everybody concerned.  It has taken since the advent of professionalism for this to relationship to come together, and I can see it being another 20 years before they want to do business with the SRU again.

Also, I know that I am immediately jumping on the SRU here and there could be another side to this, but the SRU's empty PR statement makes me very doubtful that the blame can be squared at LS.

You might not be far wrong, I've seen him down at the Athletic ground watching the games before.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 May 2016, 3:08 pm

I suspect he won't be seen there ever again now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 30 May 2016, 3:15 pm

What a pile of old scrote.

My favourite is this:
As obviously eating six Mars bars washed down with a Tizer in the p!ssing rain at half time whilst playing replacement tighthead for Watsonians is streets ahead of playing in the English Championship against teams now fairly well serviced with test match players in good stadiums.

That is either the most blind kind of arrogance or simply a lie. Our young players struggle for any game time as it is. What will this do to the bottleneck?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Mon 30 May 2016, 6:04 pm

George Carlin wrote:What a pile of old scrote.

My favourite is this:
As obviously eating six Mars bars washed down with a Tizer in the p!ssing rain at half time whilst playing replacement tighthead for Watsonians is streets ahead of playing in the English Championship against teams now fairly well serviced with test match players in good stadiums.

That is either the most blind kind of arrogance or simply a lie. Our young players struggle for any game time as it is. What will this do to the bottleneck?

I would have assumed it would do the youngster's that will be brought through the new academy system some good to experience a more realistic rugby environment?

If you look at wendyball it always strikes me how many seemingly good youngsters are brought through at Celtic and Nu-Rangers who have looked like the best of there age group. However when they leave the hi-tec development Acadamy's where everything is catered for them they sink and disappear completely within a season? The ability to perform to your best when circumstances arn't perfect is a hugely valuable skill in a pro rugby player.

Don't get me wrong you have to give people the best opportunity to succeed but that doesn't always mean a "perfectly developed performance environment" it may mean bad showers, rusty weights and getting pummeled all season in the championship.

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 May 2016, 10:18 pm

Easy as it is to blame Scott Johnson for everything that goes wrong in Scottish rugby, I am going to aim this fiasco right back at Dobson.

He was the one to stand up and trump about it at the time and if it is a money issue, as seems likely, then that is very much his department, just as it is if it was not thought through properly in the first place. He would no doubt have been very happy to have claimed the credit for it if it had gone well.

Just when the SRU seemed to be getting its act together, this happens. Really unbelievable. Shoddy is probably the best way of summing it up. If LS have a bad season or worse get relegated, these clowns will be to blame for it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 31 May 2016, 9:09 am

W.T.actual.F

I'm really concerned that this isn't just the SRU missing out on a sensible and strategic opportunity, but it may be the catalyst for London Scottish diverging further from Scottish Rugby generally. Currently there appears to be no links whatsoever between London Irish and the IRFU, could this be the net result for London Scottish a few years down the line after this debacle? Disengaged and dis-enfranchised from Scottish Rugby permanently - that's the real worry Sad

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 31 May 2016, 9:25 am

BigGee wrote:Easy as it is to blame Scott Johnson for everything that goes wrong in Scottish rugby, I am going to aim this fiasco right back at Dobson.

He was the one to stand up and trump about it at the time and if it is a money issue, as seems likely, then that is very much his department, just as it is if it was not thought through properly in the first place. He would no doubt have been very happy to have claimed the credit for it if it had gone well.

Just when the SRU seemed to be getting its act together, this happens. Really unbelievable. Shoddy is probably the best way of summing it up. If LS have a bad season or worse get relegated, these clowns will be to blame for it!

I pretty much agree. I'm no fan of the mulleted clown, but I think the blame seems to be with the SRU chiefs, which might include SJ, but certainly will include Dobson. I think he's largely done well since coming on board (especially if he had anything to do with the BT deal) but this is a farce.

I really hope the bridges aren't too badly burned that this can be rescued, but I doubt it will be.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 31 May 2016, 9:37 am

Manky-Flanker wrote:W.T.actual.F

I'm really concerned that this isn't just the SRU missing out on a sensible and strategic opportunity, but it may be the catalyst for London Scottish diverging further from Scottish Rugby generally. Currently there appears to be no links whatsoever between London Irish and the IRFU, could this be the net result for London Scottish a few years down the line after this debacle? Disengaged and dis-enfranchised from Scottish Rugby permanently - that's the real worry Sad

That’s the thing – clubs have to look after themselves first and foremost and if the SRU aren’t going to help them then they need to find people who will.

Even if we just went back to an ad-hoc arrangement of sending players down every so often that would be better than nothing at all.

The SRU really need to provide details of what development pathway is going to be put in place to replace this – they’ve got 10 players now he will be looking for something else to do.

Hold tackle bags at Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Regular games between the academies, playing each other over and over again?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Tue 31 May 2016, 10:43 am

I'll reserve judgement for now.

The SRU statement sounds like the sort of restrained, non-inflammatory response you would expect from a large organisation with a press officer. The LS one sounds like an angry individual throwing their toys out the pram.

Small organisations probably assume more flexibility. If they over flex a relationship the other party might just tell them to get lost.

I'm not questioning it being a case of cutting off your nose despite your face by the SRU but it's almost certainly not a clear as we think.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 31 May 2016, 11:01 am

des wrote:I'll reserve judgement for now.

The SRU statement sounds like the sort of restrained, non-inflammatory response you would expect from a large organisation with a press officer.  The LS one sounds like an angry individual throwing their toys out the pram.

Small organisations probably assume more flexibility.  If they over flex a relationship the other party might just tell them to get lost.  

I'm not questioning it being a case of cutting off your nose despite your face by the SRU but it's almost certainly not a clear as we think.

Whilst I agree that the LS statement lacks a certain media "polish", at least it shows some honesty and passion. The bland whitewash from the SRU is just a heap of mealy-mouthed weasel worded tosh. The SRU is not a PLC, listed on a stock exchange, where carefully worded statements are required to cool speculation and maintain a steady share price, it is a rugby union that exists to serve Scottish rugby and its fans. We deserve to know why the project, widely acclaimed and universally accepted as an excellent idea (as trumpted by Dodson himself), has failed. We deserve to know precisely why the SRU pulled the plug, what needs to happen for this project to get going again and, if not possible in the short/medium term, what alternative and better ideas the SRU have to address the issue of giving our young rugby talent proper rugby at a young age.

There may well be really good and valid reasons for calling this off, but we are left guessing as to precisely what they are. We all recognise that there's an issue here and LS was seen as the solution, so what alternatives are we looking at now? It's a bit like Myreside. I don't like it, but at least I understand why they did it, and credit to Edinburgh, they did need to try something. They also took the time to explain the decision, and consulted the fans in a fully transparent manner around the proposals and the way forward.

I think the SRU have got this badly wrong, and to add insult to injury, they've handled it poorly as well. The anger from LS is telling.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next