The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+31
SmithersJones
golfermartin
princedracula
4putt
raycastleunited
Slowride
oldparwin
incontinentia
Skydriver
Tiler76
I'm never wrong
Nay
1GrumpyGolfer
Josiah Maiestas
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
hend085
Faldono1fan
oldshanker
Fader
barragan
super_realist
lorus59
Lairdy
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
Doon the Water
McLaren
Hibbz
Diggers
35 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

First topic message reminder :

I don't mind Paul Walsh at all, there are at least another 5 on the Sky Soccer Saturday that are way worse. Thompson is annoying , Nicolas just as bad, Merson is funny in an are you simple kind of way. George Best used to be worst of the lot.
I always found Graham Taylor's commentary annoying , that was his voice more than anything though.
In athletics Colin Jackson is very poor as is Denise Lewis.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 05 Jul 2012, 3:38 pm

Anytime! thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 05 Jul 2012, 3:53 pm

Navy

A very simple point which someone who intimates they are of higher intellect than the rest of us should understand. People in the UK seem to have some sort need for an excessive armed forces. So, in the hypothetical situation, where Europe decides to have an Euro wide armed force I assume the armed forces fans of the UK would want to keep as many troops and war machines as possible. Hence the UK has to contribute more than its gdp would indicate it would have to, in order to please the armed forces fan boys.

As for collecting military memorabilia, it must be a short hop from that to luring kids into your shed from the local park……………
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Jul 2012, 3:55 pm

McLaren wrote:
Super

if my family were captured I would choose seal team 6, pretty much cos it sounds cool.

Mac, your girlfriend "perishing" in kidnapped custody has a completely different meaning to everybody else. Laugh

I'd hope they'd keep "her" out of the sun.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Jul 2012, 7:18 pm

why do we need f16's and special forces- we just need dragons Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 05 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

I can't help thinking of the old "Yes Minister" series where the enemy (according to Sir Humphrey) was always the French. I'm sure he would rule out the possibility of a combined Euro force for that reason alone !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

Mac I would say that it is probably people in England who wish to have the excessive armed forces. They have always been a bit scared of the French.

We will soon be sending down the nukey subs and Mr Trident. Line them up along the Channel and that should make them feel more secure.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:34 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

A very simple point which someone who intimates they are of higher intellect than the rest of us should understand. People in the UK seem to have some sort need for an excessive armed forces. So, in the hypothetical situation, where Europe decides to have an Euro wide armed force I assume the armed forces fans of the UK would want to keep as many troops and war machines as possible. Hence the UK has to contribute more than its gdp would indicate it would have to, in order to please the armed forces fan boys.

As for collecting military memorabilia, it must be a short hop from that to luring kids into your shed from the local park……………
I certainly have a higher intellect than you it would seem. Your memorabilia comment is, again, reprehensible and typical of you.

Doon the Water wrote:Mac I would say that it is probably people in England who wish to have the excessive armed forces. They have always been a bit scared of the French.

We will soon be sending down the nukey subs and Mr Trident. Line them up along the Channel and that should make them feel more secure.
Scared? Not really. I'd rather our historic policy re. France than the Scots "Enemy of my enemy...." rubbish. We'll happily have all that ordnance etc back and you can shut down all the bases and lay off all the service personnel. The sooner you vote for independence, the better IMO.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

Great country France, cant wait to take my kids there for a nice long holiday in the South. Mind you can say exactly the same for Scotland which for my money is probably the most beautiful part of the British Isles. Dont think we need to fear invasion from either anytime soon, apart from French millionaires escaping the new tax laws over there. Apparently London now has a massive French population though I never seem to meet many of them.
Id rather Scotland stayed as part of the UK on sensible terms, I like cheering for Murray and for all Brits at the Olympics. I dont see it as strange that I can enjoy that and yet still hope that the Scots get whupped at football and rugby, its just the way things are.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

Well my predictions for the day are as follows -
Federer to win in 4
Murray to win in 4
Im guessing that the roof will be on which should suit Federer, if he can start quickly I really think he can do it, lose the first set and it will be tough.
Murray is better than Tsonga so should win, simple as that. However doesnt always work that way but to have a Brit in a Wimbledon final considering the paucity of talent we have in the game as a whole would be massive.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

Digs dont you think Murray could still improve his body language.Just by expression and gestures he seemed to give hope to Ferrer.Goodness knows how he won the second set but thats waht it says on the scoreboard.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

I dunno DM, everyone is different, being super positive and looking nonchalant isnt the way for everyone. You cant really knock Murrays record too much, he gets the job done. I think he gets frustrated playing against people like Ferrer as he cant dominate as much tactically as he can against the guys who have more of a big game.
The big issue against Ferrer though in the first two sets was his first serve, 51% is a big problem, especially against arguably the best returner in the game right now. As soon as he got that going and started winning cheap points it was a different story.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:08 am

navy

Did you ever consider that some of my comments are meant just for you? I would feel bad if I didn't provide you with something to get adjitated about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

Hey ho - hes very good always was excellent at returning serve and getting into the point in reasonable position.I can see the drop shot getting some use this afternoon which is great if it comes off,can hurt the opponent.
Slow day here no work watching the rain fall and wondering if we will play tomorrow.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

Always think Murray's first serve is what hurts him against the bigger players and in the semis and finals he's played in the past. A lot of people give him stick for being defensive but its hard to be that attacking playing on your 2nd serve all the time. As mentioned above the good sign was his serve improved in the last match.

Diggers, that's the best reason I've seen yet for us Scots staying in the Union. thumbsup

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

I would quite like a third question on the ballot paper. To turn the scottish parliament into a tempory function which only comes into effect if the torries are in power for the uk.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 06 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

So Federer's through!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 3:41 pm

Diggers wrote:Well my predictions for the day are as follows -
Federer to win in 4
Murray to win in 4
Im guessing that the roof will be on which should suit Federer, if he can start quickly I really think he can do it, lose the first set and it will be tough.
Murray is better than Tsonga so should win, simple as that. However doesnt always work that way but to have a Brit in a Wimbledon final considering the paucity of talent we have in the game as a whole would be massive.

Well I called the first semi right, fingers crossed about the second one. Id fancy Murray more against Federer than Djoko though still obviously massively tough the way Federer played today.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Jul 2012, 3:54 pm

I predict Tsonga in 5. Then tsonga to beat the rFed in the final.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

Im not watching but text says deft drop shot from Murray for break point.Stick to the plan.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

what feds got through!!!!!!!!!!

Shocked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:05 pm

Well done Diggers - did you put money on it?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

I wish mate...story of my life !

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

McLaren wrote:I would quite like a third question on the ballot paper. To turn the scottish parliament into a tempory function which only comes into effect if the torries are in power for the uk.

But what would you be able to convert the building which is one of the best examples of contemporary architecture produced in these isles into ?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:25 pm

Mac, you truly are an enigma, you hate the Tories, although you don't really know why, except that it sounds you've been taught that way by your parents, probably teachers or civil servants but you love the middle and working classes and unionised but not if they are white van men or sun readers.

I'd love to know what you'd like the UK to be, and exactly how you would achieve it. Given that your favoured party is run by an imbecile called milliband I think you'd be flogging a dead horse, he's the Tories best weapon.

I think we agree on the abolition of the snp though. Scottish nationalism ought to be stamped out and salmond sent to the tower.

By the way did anyone else know that salmond wife is over twenty years older than him? Yuk, that's almost necrophilia. The complete opposite to Macs preference.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:26 pm

salmonds wife is 20 years older!!! omg- cant trust a man like that.
We gotta stick together- I cant fathom the attitude of going into a european union on ones own!!! that is surely nuts , lol.

its time to kill borders -not create more of them,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

Gutted to see Muzza lose, Federer just too good especially with the roof closed. A bit like the semi against Rafa last year Murray looked brilliant for a set and a half, and to be fair had his moments and break points all the way through but the best player won no doubt about it.
Have a sneaking feeling we might see Murray in the final again at Flushing Meadow and it might be a different outcome.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

"Have a sneaking feeling we might see Murray in the final again at Flushing Meadow and it might be a different outcome."

What?

A total humping, as opposed to just a humping?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:39 am

That wasn't a humping at all. Very good performance all round from Murray, just as usual a couple of percent shy of the top three.

Not sure what Salmond was doing there with his geriatric wife though. Trying to grasp every iota of "scottishness" he can.

Plank, they should have a sniper in the gallery for people like him trying to get a bit of reflected glory.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

Results do change in sport you know Mac, Federer lost to Tsonga last year, who lets face it by your own definition Murray humped this year in 4 sets. Mind you, you thought Tsonga would beat Murray.
Do you think Nadal will go out again in the early rounds to the world 100 ?
Hard court isnt grass and the US doesnt have a roof. Federer could well relax more now he has another slam, may mean he is even better at the US or might mean he takes his foot off the gas, who knows. I think he will also have Nadal in the semis rather than Murray and Nadal could well beat him anyway as thats the match up he hates.
All ifs but and maybes, but I said I had a feeling and thats all it is.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

Surprised Mac even bothered to watch given that there was also an Engineering Competition going on at Silverstone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm

I've always thought Murray's best bet was at the US Open. I like his chances even better now he has Ivan Lendl as his coach. Ivan had 8 (EIGHT!) consecutive appearances in the US final with 3 wins in a row. Surely that must count for something as a coach?

Super - refelected glory! I must remember that one. Exactly the term I've been looking for. Sick of his fat pointless mush always appearing on my tv whenever there's a sniff of a good news story.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

Super

I think the F1 was over by around game 4/5 of the first set, so I was able to watch both. At least watching F1 you are pretty much guaranteed a uk winner. It goes to show some people in the Uk have a winning mentality.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

I realise that this chap's commentary is not everyone's cup of tea, but every now and again, he cracks me up...

Andrew Cotter ‏@MrAndrewCotter
God, I wish Lendl would just CALM DOWN a bit.

Andrew Cotter ‏@MrAndrewCotter
Of course, Lendl's thoughts are possibly elsewhere as he's got to get back to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

Mac, that's the whole point. Who wants to be guaranteed anything in sport.
(although given you are a McLaren fan (dating from Raikonen/Hakinen era no doubt), Man U and Woods glory hunter that question probably seems strange to you)

Predictability is boring, as are serial winners. Still at least it wasn't the wretched Nadal winning with his stupid and rubbish trophy biting celebration.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

I had a particular dislike for the amount of 'choked' and 'bottled' comments I saw on social media during and after the final. Somehow all the armchair experts think they've found the reason why Murray cant win a slam final and apparently its not down to the higher skill and performance level of his opponents. Such dismissive disrespect to both players borders on moronic.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

Lairdy, coming from another point of view I really dislike the "Scottishification" that has gone on in the media up here especially.
I saw a paper yesterday morning that had bloody braveheart plastered all over it.

It's journalism of the worst kind as the match had nothing to do with Murray being Scottish.

I would also ban the word "Brave" from any reporting too. Absolutely terrible stuff.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

The only criticism I have of Murray is that he seemed to have no game plan for dealing with a rampant Fed forehand. It may be the case that there was nothing he could do, but it least having a plan may have helped.

Super

Remember that Scotland is full of very small minded people, who seem to waste what precious little brain matter they have on "scottishness". It seems there may be something we could see eye to eye on?

I am not a mclaren fan, I was originally mclarenm23 on old 606 and a few other sites. This was a name I lifted from a something I was reading when I signed up. The m23 was a mclaren F1 car in the 70’s.

Although I am a kimi fan and liked mika. Who didn’t like Mika?

Also, just because the teams are based in the UK, how does that make the sport predictable?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Murrays main hope of dealing with Feds forehand was to keep getting a lot if first serves in and neutralising it, that was probably his biggest failure in the match. If he'd served at 65% first serve I really think it could have been a different story...but he didnt so cest la vie.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Mac, you said you could "guarantee" a British win in F1, that's why I said it is predictable.

What is your opinion of fat Salmond? He seems intent on associating anyone who has even eaten a piece of shortbread with his horrid Independence agenda.

His health looks in question, so hopefully he'll have expired by the time this referendum nonsense comes around.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

I like murray alot.

Shame Feds level of performance was so great at the end- reminded me of westy v mickleson in the 2010 masters..

Murray has lost 4 finals now. But are they loses, or was he just beat by the better tennis player. Big difference- but the more we say he has lost them , the more pressure is applied and just look at westy, he is surely haveing the odd brain fluctuation final day!!

I hope to see rose, westy , donald and murray with at least 2 majors in the next 5 years thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

£500,000 to the runner up!!.I enjoyed the afternoons sport but fell asleep late evening with the patio door(we have a patio?) open and a small rat must have popped in out of the rain.Almost ran over my foot in the kitchen this morning.Cornered in the spare room with a bowl of poison as I type.
Have you ever had that 'did I just see what I thought I saw moment'?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

Rats are just like Man U fans, you're never more than ten foot from one of the bar stewards

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

RAT, dude.. lol- had a few birds fly into my house before, crazy stuff. worse one was when a queen wasp got in!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

super_realist wrote:
His health looks in question, so hopefully he'll have expired by the time this referendum nonsense comes around.
Is that really necessary super?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

How do you tell a small rat from a big mouse DM, are you telling a little white lie because you screamed when you woke up ? We wont mind if you admit its a mouse, honest.
I remember when I was a student sitting watching TV...spend most of the 3 years doing that, probably Neighbours...anyway, I glanced down at the armrest and a mouse was sitting there next to my hand. Clearly a soap fan, just wandered off after 5 minutes or so. It wasnt my house, was our next door neighbours who were all girls, they werent happy for some reason when I told them Id just let it go.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:57 pm

Diggers wrote:Murrays main hope of dealing with Feds forehand was to keep getting a lot if first serves in and neutralising it, that was probably his biggest failure in the match. If he'd served at 65% first serve I really think it could have been a different story...but he didnt so cest la vie.

That's the frustrating thing isn't it? Surely it is easier to improve your first serve than it is to find that higher level of play or fitness? Its also why I still hold hope!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Is that really necessary super?

For the good of the nation, absolutely. Salmond will kill the country. I'd rather see him pop his clogs than the country, not because I'm overly Scottish, but because I live here and he'll turn it into a bankrupt country like Ireland or Italy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

I had a mouse in my car. I reakon he got in there after a trip to the dump. He lived in there for a bit- he was cool!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:05 pm

My cat...RIP..... used to often bring in mice that were half alive, you'd look down and there he was with one on his mouth or holding it down with his paw. One thing that amazed me was how high a mouse could jump, pretty impressive really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Diggers,

Very sorry to hear that your cat has passed away. All cat owners will know what a hard time that can be.

Super

It is a surprise to find out you are not a salmond fan, I thought you were as Scottish as they came and probably the sort who had a saltire on his bedroom wall.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next