The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Lions team

+55
theslosty
Feckless Rogue
GunsGerms
doctornickolas
englandglory4ever
RuggerRadge2611
HERSH
George Carlin
Rugby Fan
Hound_of_Harrow
Irishhoneymonster
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Liam
Casartelli
stevetynant
Morgannwg
hugehandoff
sirtidychris
kingjohn7
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
bsando
sad_gimp
rodders
killer938
owenh32
Mickado
profitius
Geordie
Cryptoyourisan
Cotupina187
SuperGuinness69
boomeranga
RubyGuby
bedfordwelsh
Standulstermen
nganboy
BigTrevsbigmac
king_carlos
21st Century Schizoid Man
LeinsterFan4life
majesticimperialman
LondonTiger
lostinwales
thomh
the-goon
stnick88
ChequeredJersey
bluestonevedder
westisbest
BamBam
maestegmafia
Kingshu
RogerLewis
59 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Your Lions team - Page 2 Empty Your Lions team

Post by RogerLewis Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

This isn't who you think will be selected, but who you would like to see.

So many factors will determine the real selection next summer....

Match fitness
Injuries
Form
Six Nations form
Who's behaving off the pitch
Potential combinations
Currently uncapped players who might have a barnstorming 6N.

Even though Wales won the slam in 2012 it will have absolutely no bearing on summer 2013. We learned that lesson all too well in 2005 when some complete idiot thought that the merits of RWC 2003 would be completely transferable while undermining almost an entire squad of form players who had just won a grand slam.

I would be a twist of irony to see Gatland select a ridiculously large Welsh contingent, but two wrongs don't make a right. I love the lions it's a great tradition and I want to see the best players selected. If England hands down win the 2013 6N then I would actively promote the idea of a English dominated lions XV. What Woodward did was disgusting and it still annoys me to this day. Playing Wilko out of position against one of the best All Black teams ever seen, omitting the form 12 in NH rugby and one of the best wings the world has ever seen. It was a farce beyond belief.

Gatland should be able to raise the Lions a notch or two from 2009. I'm convinced there will be no bias.

If the Lions were picked now & all were fit I would like to see this team.

15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. BOD
12. Manu Tuilagi
11. George North
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Danny Care

8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Sam Warburton
6. Danny Lydiate
5. Alun-wyn Jones
4. POC
3. Adam Jones
2. Rory Best
1. Gethin Jenkins

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Your Lions team - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Lions team

Post by thomh Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Judging individual peformances from players within strong teams and players within poor teams is a complex process. To assume that the player in the strong team is that much better is naive to say the least. You will all have your answers regarding Warburton and the others after the AI's, why not save it till then. Some players are having arm chair rides whilst others are facing a contiinuous physical tide in sides which are not up to competing. You cannot criticise the individual player for that. Saracens make Charlie Hodgson look a strong out half, put him in the Sale team and he'd be a headless chicken - Some are even calling for Hodgson for the Lions - - Laughable thumbsup

Not sure if that was a response to my comment, but there isn't much to disagree with there, though Hodgson is better than you give him credit for. Saracens do have a fair few good English players in their team though. I was just asking who specifically maestegmafia had in mind when saying that the top performers for English sides haven't necessarily been English, as it doesn't seem that way to me at all this year. Nick Evans, for example, missed both of Quins' opening HC games where Danny Care, Joe Marler, Nick Easter etc were standout performers in each.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

15. Kearney
14. Visser
13. Tuilagi
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Phillips
8. Denton
7. Warburton
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. Gray
3. Jones
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

Whilst im accepting there wont be a raft of Englishmen in this squad...im seriously curious why Dan Cole is being listed by so few...

He for me is one of the best TH's in the world now and in great form. At present he would be my choice over Jones.

In fact contrary to the rest of the team Englands front row is top drawer...and after the AI's and 6n...the Lions front row could very well be an England one.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:52 pm

Geordie - The main ommisions for me looking at these teams are Dan Cole and Tommy Bowe - I think they'll both start in the tests at the moment thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:15 pm

Possibly Cole, even Ross but in my opinion that depends on how Adam Jones gets on with injuries.

An on form Adam jones is the best candidate around.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:If the Lions were picked now & they were all fit ( as OP stated) it would be dominated by the English & Irish as they are clearly the players in form.

Picking a team now ignoring that will be skewed by favouritism & national bias.

Anyway OP when are we going to see your report on the Regions finances?

Based on the HEC?

Hmm..!

There are plenty of good performers at English and Irish teams but not all of those are necesarily qualified for the British and Irish lions.

To my knowledge we only have 4 non-English players of any note, 1 is injured. Our star performers this season, aside from Botica, are all English. Saracens also have a first choice 23 that is predominantly ( I reckon 16-18 out of 23) EQ, and one of the starters who is not is Scottish anyway. I think you mildly overestimate the number of non-EQ players starting in the AP, and ave missed that there are in fact Enhlish men at non-English clubs getting plaudits in Europe this year. Several in fact
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:54 pm

westisbest wrote:1 Jenkins
2 Best
3 Jones
4 Wyn Jones
5 POC
6 SOB
7 Warburton
8 Denton

9 Care
10 Sexton
11 Ashton
12 Roberts
13 Tuilagi
14 Bowe/Visser (see hoe he does next few months).
15 Kearney

just off the top of my head.

things can/will change though in the coming months.

Denton will be very lucky to play for Scotland never mind the Lions such is his lack of form !

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 30 Oct 2012, 6:01 pm

As far as I can see with Jones vs Cole at the moment is that Jones is superior in the scrum. It wouldnt surprise me if hes better at lifting too - but he's not exactly mobile . Cole is no mug in the tight and his all round game offers a lot more

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 30 Oct 2012, 6:10 pm

15. Halfpenny
14. Visser
13. Hogg
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Phillips
8. SOB
7. Warburton
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. Gray
3. Cole
2. Hartley
1. Healy

I think Gatland will pick a big team with powerful scrummagers if he thinks Australia are weak there. In that case he would replace Healy with someone like Corbisero.

They'll concentrate on solid set pieces, good defense and play for territory.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:38 pm

First post ive seen with Hogg and Roberts in the centre.

What are your thoughts there?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm

Hogg looks a very good prospect. I saw him score a few terrific tries against Munster last season, tries out of nothing. He was injured since and playing fullback too sometimes.

Roberts offers a hard running threat and does the basics well. He performs best at international level. Himself and BOD formed a great partnership on the last tour but I'd say BOD might be slowing down a bit these days.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:45 pm

lostinwales wrote:As far as I can see with Jones vs Cole at the moment is that Jones is superior in the scrum. It wouldnt surprise me if hes better at lifting too - but he's not exactly mobile . Cole is no mug in the tight and his all round game offers a lot more

I haven't seen Jones play for a while but if he's better than Cole in the scrum then he's doing extremely well. Cole's probably our only guy who's a dead certainty if fit to be on the plane.

For what it's worth:

1. Marler
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Charteris
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. Care
10. Sexton
11. Visser
12. Davies
13. Tuilagi
14. North
15. Kearney

I've indulged myself a bit with the all-English front row, but Marler and Cole have been in great form and it's helpful to have an existing unit, as we found out with the Welsh trio in 2009. Back row is the main area of interest. Each position could easily be any one of four or five.

I like Davies a lot so have moved him infield to accomodate Tuilagi.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:01 am

profitius wrote:Hogg looks a very good prospect. I saw him score a few terrific tries against Munster last season, tries out of nothing. He was injured since and playing fullback too sometimes.

Roberts offers a hard running threat and does the basics well. He performs best at international level. Himself and BOD formed a great partnership on the last tour but I'd say BOD might be slowing down a bit these days.

He often gets on the score sheet, though I thought he was more back three rather than outside centre. I hope a few more of the good scots backs get a decent season under them this year. Hogg, Jones, Ansbro, as well as Visser.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:38 am

I think Tupiric has been far better than Warburton this season. He's hardly going to be selected ahead of Warbs though (captain) but I think he's absolute class.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:36 am

Mickado wrote:I think Tupiric has been far better than Warburton this season. He's hardly going to be selected ahead of Warbs though (captain) but I think he's absolute class.

Spot on Mickado, its creating a problem for Wales with Warburton being the captain - Tips could emerge as our number 1 choice in the AI's but it's all about getting the balance right and there are so many different options - here's mine for what its worth and we all know Gats likes 'em big:

15 - Halfpenny
14 - North
13 - Roberts
12 - Tuilagi
11 - Bowe
10 - Sexton
9 - Care
8 - Falatau
7 - Tipuric
6 - Ferris
5 - Gray
4 - Ian Evans
3 - Jenkins
2 - Best
1 - Cole thumbsup

I actually think we are spoiled for choice and could pick 2 strong sides of equal quality at the moment

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:46 am

RubyGuby wrote:
Mickado wrote:I think Tupiric has been far better than Warburton this season. He's hardly going to be selected ahead of Warbs though (captain) but I think he's absolute class.

Spot on Mickado, its creating a problem for Wales with Warburton being the captain - Tips could emerge as our number 1 choice in the AI's but it's all about getting the balance right and there are so many different options - here's mine for what its worth and we all know Gats likes 'em big:

15 - Halfpenny
14 - North
13 - Roberts
12 - Tuilagi
11 - Bowe
10 - Sexton
9 - Care
8 - Falatau
7 - Tipuric
6 - Ferris
5 - Gray
4 - Ian Evans
3 - Jenkins
2 - Best
1 - Cole thumbsup

I actually think we are spoiled for choice and could pick 2 strong sides of equal quality at the moment

Tuilagi and Roberts at centre. That's a very direct combo...!

Would we even need wingers? Because it would be unlikely they would ever get the ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:47 am

Gatland does certainly like to pick a big backline but remember that game the French picked a massive backline against the Aussies and got nearly 60 points put on them? I don’t think going big for the sake of it is the best option.

For what it’s worth here’s the team I think will be best equipped to beat them come next year.

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Cole
4. Charteris
5. POC
6. Ferris
7. Tupuric
8. Felatau
9. Care
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Davies
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Ford
17. Jenkins
18. A. Jones
19. Gray
20. SOB
21. Phillips
22. Flood
23. Halfpenny

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:49 am

Accidental Repeat post

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:13 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:51 am

Mickado - 8 Irishmen in a team that's going backwards does not fill me with confidence - Gats like 'em big and agile by the way not just big like the Basterauds of this world thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

I agree with you Maesteg on the centre pairing and Foxy Davies for me is possibly the best option at the moment, I just know Gats likes his beef and I think he will not want to throw the ball out too much but bang it up the middle - suck the defence in until the gaps appear. That's what Roberts and Tuilagi would suit. Only issue for me would be Tuilagis defence as he's poor against someone with guile. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

RubyGuby wrote:Mickado - 8 Irishmen in a team that's going backwards does not fill me with confidence - Gats like 'em big and agile by the way not just big like the Basterauds of this world thumbsup

I don't get it, you think the Lions would be going backwards or you're implying Ireland are going backwards?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:01 am

I'm implying that Ireland are on a downward curve thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:20 am

I think we’re as bad as we’re going to get (touch wood), but you have to lay a lot of the blame for that at the door of our coaches. Are you saying Healy isn’t a worthy Lion? Is Sexton not the best 10 available? Has Kearney become half the player since the last tour? BOD and POC aside (because they’re not getting any younger) I don’t think any of the calls I’ve made are outrageous, maybe some of them are marginal (Halfpenny over Kearney) but you do watch club rugby? Did you see Halfpenny and Roberts last week? You can still put them in a Lions team with a straight face? thumbsup

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:27 am

RubyGuby wrote:I agree with you Maesteg on the centre pairing and Foxy Davies for me is possibly the best option at the moment, I just know Gats likes his beef and I think he will not want to throw the ball out too much but bang it up the middle - suck the defence in until the gaps appear. That's what Roberts and Tuilagi would suit. Only issue for me would be Tuilagis defence as he's poor against someone with guile. thumbsup

I don't think he will taking any lessons from Roberts though do you?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:32 am

Mickado wrote:I think we’re as bad as we’re going to get (touch wood), but you have to lay a lot of the blame for that at the door of our coaches. Are you saying Healy isn’t a worthy Lion? Is Sexton not the best 10 available? Has Kearney become half the player since the last tour? BOD and POC aside (because they’re not getting any younger) I don’t think any of the calls I’ve made are outrageous, maybe some of them are marginal (Halfpenny over Kearney) but you do watch club rugby? Did you see Halfpenny and Roberts last week? You can still put them in a Lions team with a straight face? thumbsup

Healy, Sexton (in a league of his own as a 10 at the moment) and Kearney are top class as is Bowe, Best and Ferris. For Ireland Mickado I think you are a prop short; I now think you have a poor second row and your back row unit remains unbalanced, you have no scrum half of consistent quality and your midfield is in a bit of disarray. I don't think you can put all that on Kidney in all honesty. For me its just going to be a difficult transition period following the golden generation's gradual departure. I may well be wrong but that is how I see it mate. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:14 am

lostinwales wrote:As far as I can see with Jones vs Cole at the moment is that Jones is superior in the scrum. It wouldnt surprise me if hes better at lifting too - but he's not exactly mobile . Cole is no mug in the tight and his all round game offers a lot more

Really?

Cole for me is now the complete prop...his scrummaging is immense, his groundwork is top drawer...and he even does a bit of carrying once in a while. He is our only truly world class player...and he is better than Jones.

I think Healy will have that LH spot...but come the test games next year...Marler could be pushing him close.

As i said...whilst the rest of our team is hit and miss.....our front row options are serious now...they are top class....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:23 am

1) For Ireland Mickado I think you are a prop short;
2) I now think you have a poor second row
3) and your back row unit remains unbalanced,
4) you have no scrum half of consistent quality
5) and your midfield is in a bit of disarray

Appreciate your input, allow me to respond.

1) Healy is quality, Ross is solid and dependable, but agree we have no TH backup who is gaining meaningful gametime, Fitzpatrick can't stay fit and we've parachuted Michael Bent straight into the national squad, he hadn't even set foot in Ireland before last weekend. I only picked one Irish prop though Wink
2) I'm not sure I'd say our second row is "poor", POC is just back from injury and is in good form, DOC is much maligned by Irish fans, but to be fair to him, if he starts the AI's nobody can complain too much, he's actually on decent form too. But Kidney doesn't pick on form, he picks POC and DOC when they're both fit.
3) The backrow balance cannot be addressed when Kidney insists on playing a 6 (who's been playing at 8) at 7.
4) Agree that scrum half is an area of concern for Ireland, Sexton and Murray have not been able to gel into a settled partnership, however Reddan and Sexton have been an exceptional partnership in European club rugby and have only averaged 8 mins of gametime together for Ireland despite having both been picked in over 30 match day squads. This is another issue with Kidney.
5) Our midfield is in disarray, an over reliance on BOD and Darcy has left us with precious little options in that position.

Look, the players have to take some responsibility for how things have gone, but we saw Ulster, Munster and Leinster all make the HC knockouts last year, we saw Munster and Leinster make the Pro12 playoffs, we know we have the players, we know something is missing. It's a competant coaching ticket.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:29 am

I don't think Ireland's locks are poor, Ryan and POCis as good a combo as any
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:04 am

I do remember there being some comments from Irish fans that they weren't playing well recently though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:43 am

Laugh Read the Irish Autumn Squad thread, you'll see plenty of it!

We have good players, we don't play well, that's our problem.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:56 am

I don't think we're disagreeing on too much Mickado although I think its difficult to draw too many paralells from provinces to international teams as there are too many confounding variables involved. Just look at how relatively poor our regions are but I think we have a decent international unit - conversley the Irish provinces are the standard bearers in europe. The only thing we probably disagree on is the irish 2nd row. Once a world class boiler house now for me an area of weakness. That's just my view however and like I said it may well be wrong. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by owenh32 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

Which 3 scrum half's would you bring to Austrailia ?

owenh32

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:47 pm

It's an odd situation, because no one seems to really have been putting their hands up at SH! I think the player showing the most form has to be Care.

Care for me has to travel.
I can see Phillips going, but I am not his biggest fan. I think he can very good at times, but a little inconsistent and hot-headed..
Then a fight out between Youngs, Cusiter, the young Welsh lad that was left out of the Welsh squad.....can't for the life of me remember his name? Jonny Evans??

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

Phillips hasn't been in the best of form but he is a big game player and offers something different to any other No9 in the equation but his service is sooooooo slow.

I think he will travel but as hs been mentioned there is no one really standing out at the moment as 1st choice.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by owenh32 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:18 pm

Its a Weak position for the lions my personal choice would be:
1st Choice : Ben Youngs (consistency)
2nd Choice: Conor Murray (He has a phillips style of play ,good defence)
3rd Choice : Danny Care (Great form at the moment but needs to keep it up)

owenh32

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

owenh32 wrote:Which 3 scrum half's would you bring to Austrailia ?

Paul Marshall

Mike Phillips

Danny Care

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:28 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:It's an odd situation, because no one seems to really have been putting their hands up at SH! I think the player showing the most form has to be Care.

Watch Ulsters Paul Marshall he is fantastic, best scrum half around.

bluestonevedder wrote:The young Welsh lad that was left out of the Welsh squad.....can't for the life of me remember his name? Jonny Evans??

Wales have five youngsters who are all vying to be Mike Phillips shadow

Rhys Webb Ospreys
Tavis Knoyle Scarlets
Gareth Davies Scarlets
Jon Evans Dragons
Lloyd Williams Blues

Below them are some superb players.

Tom Habberfield Ospreys/Bridgend
Rhodri Williams Scarlets/Llandovery

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

Cheers Maesteg. I've heard very good things about Marshall, but haven't seen him play yet.

Watched the Blues recently, and Lloyd Williams had a shocker. I like Webb, and I like KNoyle, but are they on form at the moment?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

As far as scrum halves go, the starter is difficult but if Ben Youngs isn't on the plane to Australia then the happiest people on that day will be the Australians. If he is fully fit then he has already proved he can rip the Australians apart, he has done it the last 3 times he has played them, including in their own back yard and has outplayed Genia at the same time. Form is great to have but so is the knowledge and experience of going down to Australia and beating them and that isn't something that the other scrum halves have done.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Cheers Maesteg. I've heard very good things about Marshall, but haven't seen him play yet.

Watched the Blues recently, and Lloyd Williams had a shocker. I like Webb, and I like KNoyle, but are they on form at the moment?

Williams, Webb and Knoyle get some awful press on these boards from the same group of posters. To be fair to the players I would say their form has been mixed. Good and bad...! Davies and Evans have been good but are inexperienced.

The game last weekend vs Leinster you can't blame Williams, the whole team were awful. Defence more than anything else.

I don't see any of them making the lions tour unless they consistently hit their best form week in week out.

Marshall at the moment would be my Lions first choice, he's that good.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:It's an odd situation, because no one seems to really have been putting their hands up at SH! I think the player showing the most form has to be Care.

Marshall will be flattered by the show of support I'm sure but you will probably struggle to find even an Ulster fan who'd agree with that...... hopefully he'll get a chance with Ireland (I doubt it) and if so maybe but he's a long way off right now I'd say.

Can't see past Care, Youngs, Murray and Phillips.... Reddan maybe....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:45 pm

rodders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Marshall will be flattered by the show of support I'm sure but you will probably struggle to find even an Ulster fan who'd agree with that...... hopefully he'll get a chance with Ireland (I doubt it) and if so maybe but he's a long way off right now I'd say.

Marshall is a class apart Reddan and Murray, great to see him in the Ireland squad, just hope Kidney picks him, he needs the chance soon.

I would be surprised to hear that Ulster fans don't rate him? I know you have Peinaar too but Marshall is in fine form and a clever player with a full skill set.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

I like Marshall actually, I think he's pretty underrated, even in Ulster.. obviously he's behind Pienaar for a starting spot.

He has been very erratic in the past with his play but think he'd improved a lot in the past 2 seasons. However his reputation for howlers precedes him a bit.

He's lightning of the mark though, has decent service, box kicks very well and is a good tackler for a little guy. When he does the basics well, and he has lately, he is a good player for sure.

A very long shot for the Lions though unless Gatland is a fan.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

rodders wrote:I like Marshall actually, I think he's pretty underrated, even in Ulster.. obviously he's behind Pienaar for a starting spot.

He has been very erratic in the past with his play but think he'd improved a lot in the past 2 seasons. However his reputation for howlers precedes him a bit.

He's lightning of the mark though, has decent service, box kicks very well and is a good tackler for a little guy. When he does the basics well, and he has lately, he is a good player for sure.

A very long shot for the Lions though unless Gatland is a fan.

This season without living in Pienaars shadow, I rate Pienaar and Genia as the best in the business at the moment, he has had time to prove himself.

I didn't see much of him last year, though what I did he looked good.

I think his earning justified praise.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

He's been released back to Ulster and will play on Friday, probably alongside Pienaar. There is more rotation this year with the new coach so hopefully he will see more gametime and keep performing.

Glad to see he's getting a bit of recognition but Murray is nailed on for Ireland with Reddan clear second choice.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

owenh32 wrote:Its a Weak position for the lions my personal choice would be:
1st Choice : Ben Youngs (consistency)
2nd Choice: Conor Murray (He has a phillips style of play ,good defence)
3rd Choice : Danny Care (Great form at the moment but needs to keep it up)

Eh? Erm
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:57 pm

At his best Youngs is probably the best scrumhalf I have seen playing for England in the last 20 years. Dawson was probably smarter - very important in that position buts thats about it. Hes had a crap time with injuries and hasnt kicked on as might have been hoped because of that, but anything like a decent injury free season and he'll be on the plane

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:59 pm

I don't deny that he is an excellent player, but putting consistency down as his calling card is a little odd and that has been what he has been lacking, partially due to being mucked around and injuries.

Personally I rated Ellis as the best English scrum half I have seen but we never got to keep him Sad
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by owenh32 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm

rodders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I cannot see Marshall getting on that plane . 3rd choice Irish scrumhalf is too far down the rankings . warning

owenh32

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:17 am

owenh32 wrote: I cannot see Marshall getting on that plane . 3rd choice Irish scrumhalf is too far down the rankings . warning

I don't see the Irish Scrum halves in rank order. In my opinion Marshall is their best option. Murray and Reddan are not in form. Marshall is.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next