The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

+65
Toohey
Casartelli
nobbled
damage_13
sirBiggles
Barney McGrew did it
fa0019
Morgannwg
Cari
Tattie Scones RRN
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
Exiledinborders
UlstermaninGlasgow
BlueNote
bedfordwelsh
thebluesmancometh
Scrumpy
Triangulation
aqualung
dublin_dave
Taylorman
nathan
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
RDW
jammoboss
Duty281
Feckless Rogue
TJ1
dragonbreath
westisbest
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
A World Cup and 3 Finals
red_stag
Luckless Pedestrian
bsando
gregortree
eirebilly
EnglishReign
pete (buachaill on eirne)
lostinwales
Breadvan
Jimpy
Geordie
rodders
Glas a du
theslosty
majesticimperialman
TycroesOsprey
mystiroakey
Biltong
NeilyBroon
21st Century Schizoid Man
Pot Hale
RuggerBoy
Effervescing Elephant
RubyGuby
Cyril
whocares
maestegmafia
AlastairW
R!skysports
RugbyFan182
69 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Who will be crowned champions of the Six Nations 2013?

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_lcap34%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 44 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_lcap8%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_lcap34%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 44 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_lcap8%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_lcap15%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 19 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_lcap1%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 131

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Empty Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:05 pm

We are less than 30 days from the BIG one. This years RBS Six Nations 2013 is one of the most anticipated in Years. With the decline of GS champs(Wales) in the AI's, the French described as "the best team in the northern hemisphere", England beating the World Champions and Ireland ripping Fiji and the Puma's a new backside so convincingly. What will these ferocious battles hold? How will this dangerous concoction unfold? Discuss.

February 2: Wales v Ireland, 1.30pm and England v Scotland, 4pm

February 3: Italy v France, 3pm

February 9: Scotland v Italy, 2.30pm and France v Wales, 5pm

February 10: Ireland v England, 3pm

February 23: Italy v Wales, 2.30pm and England v France, 5pm

February 24: Scotland v Ireland, 2pm

March 9: Scotland v Wales, 2.30pm and Ireland v France, 5pm

March 10: England v Italy, 3pm

March 16: Italy v Ireland, 2.30pm, Wales v England, 5pm and France v Scotland, 8pm

4 points for winning predictions and +1 for correct points difference between teams, 5 for a correct draw call and 0 for a loss.

Majesticimperialman - 9/12 +1 for correct points difference between Eng and Scotland.
RugbyFan182 - 8/12
SirBiggles - 8/12
Mystirokey - 8/12
Cyril - 8/12
Duty281 - 8/12
FecklessRough - 4/12
Bsando - 4/12
RiscaRev - 4/12
RuggerRadge2611 - 4/12
Luckless Pedestrian - 0/12
MaesticMafia - 0/12
RubyGuby - 0/12

Get Your round 2 predictions in now!

February 9: Scotland v Italy,2.30pm(Edinburgh)

France v Wales, 5pm(Paris)

February 10: Ireland v England, 3pm(Dublin)

Last edited by RugbyFan182 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread Empty Re: Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

I have a very strong feeling Ireland will do very well this year, first time in a few years Ive thought this pre- 6n's. I think they could be contention with france and england at the top going into the last weekend. I reckon it could go to the wire.

Last edited by RugbyFan182 on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

I voted for Scotland and for good reason

Every year we have had a quiet confidence and talked about the dark horses - then failed

This year, we are dire, terrible and have zero chance - so Grand Slam it is

I dare you to fault my logic boxing

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:47 pm

Extremely excited! Have 1/3 tickets secured for the HQ matches! Now to try and lay my grubby little mits on the others!

Circumstance over the last 10-11 months leading to this 6N has rollercoaster for all home nations. I can't wait! .... my liver probabley can though

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

Ireland France and England look the strongest three teams going into this but hopefully Scotland, italy and Wales can cause a few upsets and get a win of them.

Wales have a tricky Six Nations with three away games in a row, winning in Paris is never easy. Luckily home games vs England and ireland should help us a bit.

Will be interesting to see what our team will be, with injuries making a number of changes to last years side.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

I feel bad for Scotland cause I remember I used to really be nervy playing in Edinburgh.Good talent on paper just not clicking for a few years.

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

3 games away including a visit to Twickenham might prove to be too much for France. definitely dont see them getting a GS and reckon England should win the tournament and hopefully wait for the Wales game to print their GS winner T-shirt this time!
cant wait for the 23rd of feb and my visit to HQ.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:12 pm

Though France looked very strong in the Autumn. it has taken St. Andre a bit of time to find his feet there but i would say they will be a big threat despite the number of difficult away fixtures.

On paper, as is so often the case, France are a class above the rest.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:14 pm

If France are better on paper than it's lucky England are the scissors.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

4 wins from 5 for Wales and a Triple Crown - Still not enough to win the champioship with France taking it on points difference thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:18 pm

RubyGuby wrote:4 wins from 5 for Wales and a Triple Crown - Still not enough to win the champioship with France taking it on points difference Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread 732107
It's slam or bust with Wales. You should know that Ruby! Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

I just can't see past France. I mean it, it's feckin' massive.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

Here we go again, it happens every year - the analysis, the comparisons, the butterflies in the stomach, the hope - and like every other year I will, for the umpteenth time, go with that final feeling of hope!

So it's Wales again for me.

I know, I know, "How the hell can you say that after seven straight defeats" - I can can virtually hear you all thinking it, but it's all about momentum see. Like last year, we scuffed past Ireland in the first game and this time we start with them at home so there's even more chance of us doing it again. Then on to France, the sheer relief of winning again will carry us to glory and so the momentum builds. Italy away, no disrespect like, but Italy surely won't stand in our way - not when we're on a roll again. Scotland, mmmm, in the scheme of things a nail-biter - I HATE us being the favourites - in anything, but we will prevail! Then of course, the Triple Crown and the Grand Slam once again, because by this time England wouldn't stand a chance against us at the Millennium - momentum you see!

Then again, we could lose against Ireland.... Shocked

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:16 pm

Winners

Round 1: Ireland, England and France
Round 2: Scotland, France and Ireland
Round 3: Wales, England and Ireland
Round 4: Wales, France and England
Round 5: Ireland, England and France

Who's gonna get more meat pies?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

RugbyFan182 wrote:I feel bad for Scotland cause I remember I used to really be nervy playing in Edinburgh.Good talent on paper just not clicking for a few years.

Edinburgh are nervy playing in Edinburgh Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:34 pm

RugbyFan182 wrote:
I feel bad for Scotland cause I remember I used to really be nervy playing in Edinburgh.Good talent on paper just not clicking for a few years.

Haha Scotland playing in Edinburgh used to be a nervous occasion in an Irish jersey I mean censored

I think Ireland for the win but no slam. C'MON boys.

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

Knowing Scotland what'll happen they pull off a surprisingly good unexpected win against difficult opposition then man sausage it all up the following week with a dire performance and a trouncing.

Although I wouldn't put it past Scotland to beat England at Twickenham for the first time in about 30 years then follow it up with an appalling loss to Italy and come second to bottom.

...This said I don't even think we'll get a chance of that scalp this year. Twickenham will be an England romping unless they have a complete complacency switch off (fingers crossed they're feeling a little bit too cocky from the NZ win!).

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Knowing Scotland what'll happen they pull off a surprisingly good unexpected win against difficult opposition then man sausage it all up the following week with a dire performance and a trouncing.

Although I wouldn't put it past Scotland to beat England at Twickenham for the first time in about 30 years then follow it up with an appalling loss to Italy and come second to bottom.

...This said I don't even think we'll get a chance of that scalp this year. Twickenham will be an England romping unless they have a complete complacency switch off (fingers crossed they're feeling a little bit too cocky from the NZ win!).

Who are the coaches working with Johnson?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

Well based on last year you would think England goes into the Six Nations with the best shot, France showed some signs under a new coach.

Scotland Wales and Ireland is very difficult to predict as Wales might just turn it all around (how likely it is I don't know), Ireland just confuses me, and Scotland could be competitive or not.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

the big boys are in form again..

A duel between les Blues and Englands Rose..

England are buzzing and confident.. they will probally dish out a couple of record victories come soon.

I hope someone puts up a predictor this year, it will be mine.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

mystiroakey wrote:the big boys are in form again..

A duel between les Blues and Englands Rose..

England are buzzing and confident.. they will probally dish out a couple of record victories come soon.

I hope someone puts up a predictor this year, it will be mine.

No disagreeing that England are definitely a form team as are France and those two are the bookies and many of us pundits favourites to win but unless England do thrash the rest of us home nations by a considerable margin that All Black victory is going to look a little shallow.

Its the Six Nations though and form can often go out the window faster than over confidence is championed, we should all know that before counting our chickens just yet mate...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

Wales should beat Ireland and England home, I expect them to lose in Paris, paste the Italians and then lose to Scotland. 3 wins out of five

France Grand Slam

England lose to Wales and France beat Ireland Scotland and Italy. 3 wins out of Five

Ireland lose to Wales France and England beat Scotland and Italy, 2 wins

Scotland beat Wales and Italy 2 wins

Italy Spoon

France
England
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Italy

England will take second on points difference which will allow their fans to claim moral victory over the welsh fans who will be claiming joint second not third. Of course if Scotland beat Ireland which wouldnt suprise me then Wales would be in Fourth. Or joint second Wink

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:01 pm

My team for the 6ns is England win of course. But if every team in the 6ns puts in a (full eighty)minutes of solid rugby, then it will be very hard to call.

England have to put in a full performance after their win against the All Blacks.

Wales have to play for the full eighty minutes, and not think that because they are 2/3 points in front with 1-2 minutes to go that they have won.

France and Ireland will will be well up for the fight. With out knowing how many of the injured players will be returning, it will be hard to say how they will play.

So my prediction for the 6ns.

England

France

Ireland

Wales

Scotland

Italy.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:Knowing Scotland what'll happen they pull off a surprisingly good unexpected win against difficult opposition then man sausage it all up the following week with a dire performance and a trouncing.

Massimo Cuttita is going to be forwards coach I think, Scott Johnsons assistant coach is yet to be named. Steve Scott looks to be in line for the assistant job after being dumped by Sale (why is it Scotland always take the rejected coaches!?) oh and Matt Taylor is our defence coach

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

Of the last five years this is how many games each team has won

England - 19
France - 20
Ireland - 19
Italy - 6
Scotland - 5
Wales - 19

Pretty even between four teams with France won win the better.

Over Ten years

France - 41
Ireland - 38
England - 34
Wales - 28
Scotland - 13
Italy - 8

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:30 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Massimo Cuttita is going to be forwards coach I think, Scott Johnsons assistant coach is yet to be named. Steve Scott looks to be in line for the assistant job after being dumped by Sale (why is it Scotland always take the rejected coaches!?) oh and Matt Taylor is our defence coach

Cheers for the reply...! Not overly inspiring.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:39 am

maestegmafia wrote:Of the last five years this is how many games each team has won

England - 19
France - 20
Ireland - 19
Italy - 6
Scotland - 5
Wales - 19

Over Ten years

France - 41
Ireland - 38
England - 34
Wales - 28
Scotland - 13
Italy - 8

Depressingly with England's lack of Championships it just shows that we only really click when the pressure is off. Hopefully things are starting to change now and we can deal with the pressure. Still think this is France's championship but no Grand Slam and some real nail biters.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:40 am

those stats look pretty shocking for england.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:43 am

Effervescing Elephant wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Of the last five years this is how many games each team has won

England - 19
France - 20
Ireland - 19
Italy - 6
Scotland - 5
Wales - 19

Over Ten years

France - 41
Ireland - 38
England - 34
Wales - 28
Scotland - 13
Italy - 8

Depressingly with England's lack of Championships it just shows that we only really click when the pressure is off. Hopefully things are starting to change now and we can deal with the pressure. Still think this is France's championship but no Grand Slam and some real nail biters.

You think it's bad for England? Look at Ireland who have won one 6N with 38 wins there.
And then there's bloody Wales with 28 wins and 3 feicin' Grand Slams. steam
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

Scotland have more votes than Ireland Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

England.

France look the strongest side but England will be too strong at Twickenham for them I think. England might just lose at the Aviva (please God Smile guinness ) but in a Lions year they look the team best placed to lift the title right now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:13 am

I think we need to be clear that while England have shown areas of improvement we are far from a great side yet...

Humped in SA in the Summer...the scores would have been very different had morne Steyn actually kicked his goals.

Beat a very poor Fiji team in the AI
Beaten well in the pack by a "supposedly inferior" Aussie team?
Looked better v SA but still lost
Beat (admittedly very well) a NZ team hugely affected by that virus.

I saw improvements...ie finally some actual forwards carrying the ball at pace into space - Youngs and Morgan..etc and our defence improved slightly..but still had issues against big carriers like Alberts etc.
How will we cope with Piccamoles...and that French pack or Sean O'Brien...

If we can continue in the first game where we left off against NZ and show that wasnt the AB's under par and that we can actually play...then i will change my opinion but until then...I think France will win it..maybe even a GS.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:20 am

I think its fairly obvious that Wales will be battling Scotland for the wooden spoon. Italy continue to improve and have already shown that they can beat Wales.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think we need to be clear that while England have shown areas of improvement we are far from a great side yet...

Humped in SA in the Summer...the scores would have been very different had morne Steyn actually kicked his goals.

Beat a very poor Fiji team in the AI
Beaten well in the pack by a "supposedly inferior" Aussie team?
Looked better v SA but still lost
Beat (admittedly very well) a NZ team hugely affected by that virus.

I saw improvements...ie finally some actual forwards carrying the ball at pace into space - Youngs and Morgan..etc and our defence improved slightly..but still had issues against big carriers like Alberts etc.
How will we cope with Piccamoles...and that French pack or Sean O'Brien...

If we can continue in the first game where we left off against NZ and show that wasnt the AB's under par and that we can actually play...then i will change my opinion but until then...I think France will win it..maybe even a GS.

I'm sure that all will be found out come the Six Nations. Often seems England are more likely to slip up against the teams they feel inferior. Scotland and Italy almost beat England last year, though England played much better against Wales and France.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

Very open tourney this year I reckon, despite the AI results. Spot on analysis falcon..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

The problem I see for Wales is that with Howley in charge you have got to wonder if they can turn things around, even with the returning injured. They will need to find some very strong leadership from somewhere

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:58 am

I think it is a measure of how few French fans are on this that they do not have more votes

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I think it is a measure of how few French fans are on this that they do not have more votes

There is one french fan, but he voted for Ireland...! ha ha ha

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I think it is a measure of how few French fans are on this that they do not have more votes

There is one french fan, but he voted for Ireland...! ha ha ha

actually I voted for England!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:25 pm

clever frenchman

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Dean Ryan adds a bit of nouse...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Aye he's given me a wee bit of hope! As long as our forwards are functioning we can hopefully grind out one win haha

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:46 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Aye he's given me a wee bit of hope! As long as our forwards are functioning we can hopefully grind out one win haha

Well I'm not gonna start a thread about you lads being the dark horse but it is the time of year that someone does.

Scots could well have won a few games last season, they played good rugby on tour in the summer too.

New coaches and a new idea or two...! You just never know.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

Dean Ryan to Scotland! One of the few Sky team that is pin point accurate every time.

nationalistic waffle aside, congrats Scotland, he's good person to have on board and a stronger home nation benefits us all.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:59 pm

Ryan to Scotland?! That's massive news, good scalp!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan182 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

France - 41
Ireland - 38
England - 34
Wales - 28
Scotland - 13
Italy - 8

Over ten years Ireland have the second highest amount of wins. And everyone seems to think there not made of anything for this championship. As an Irish man I told a welsh man before the first game Wales would win the GS. This year I have a sneaky feeling Ireland could do it but not the slam.

Keep writing Ireland off!!!.We always are at our best being the dark horses Leprechaun king

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:49 pm

I don't think Ireland are written off at all. They were very impressive this autumn and the provinces are doing well, top names are gaining fitness... Ireland are definitely challenging for the top.

Having England and France in Dublin is a huge benefit. I don't think Wales would have won the slam if the game had of been in Paris last year..!

If Ireland can beat Wales first up. Keep momentum in their if home games and win in Edinburgh and Rome this could well be their year.

That is not a big "if" is it

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:25 am

Scotland will be gash because the core of their shcieze team will be made up with the Metrosexual Festival Luvvies from Edinburgh. Good I say Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:49 am

i think wales would have beat france in paris tbh.. ireland matched em and england brushed them aside last year..

but a year in rugby for NH teams(not SH) is like a life time ..

I will probally go for ireland to win v wales this time.

cant wait anyway Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:04 am

The fact that England beat the AB's (brilliantly as well) is huge for them but i dont feel it will have too much bearing in the 6n as England (and France) are the only two NH teams that are really capable of beating the top 3 sides as their games are more suited to that style.

That said, i have them as favourites but cant see a GS this year.

This is how i see the table at the end.

England
France
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Italy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content