The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

+65
Toohey
Casartelli
nobbled
damage_13
sirBiggles
Barney McGrew did it
fa0019
Morgannwg
Cari
Tattie Scones RRN
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
Exiledinborders
UlstermaninGlasgow
BlueNote
bedfordwelsh
thebluesmancometh
Scrumpy
Triangulation
aqualung
dublin_dave
Taylorman
nathan
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
RDW
jammoboss
Duty281
Feckless Rogue
TJ1
dragonbreath
westisbest
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
A World Cup and 3 Finals
red_stag
Luckless Pedestrian
bsando
gregortree
eirebilly
EnglishReign
pete (buachaill on eirne)
lostinwales
Breadvan
Jimpy
Geordie
rodders
Glas a du
theslosty
majesticimperialman
TycroesOsprey
mystiroakey
Biltong
NeilyBroon
21st Century Schizoid Man
Pot Hale
RuggerBoy
Effervescing Elephant
RubyGuby
Cyril
whocares
maestegmafia
AlastairW
R!skysports
RugbyFan182
69 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Who will be crowned champions of the Six Nations 2013?

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_lcap34%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 44 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_lcap8%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_lcap34%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 44 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_lcap8%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_lcap15%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 19 ]
Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_lcap1%Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 131

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Empty Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

We are less than 30 days from the BIG one. This years RBS Six Nations 2013 is one of the most anticipated in Years. With the decline of GS champs(Wales) in the AI's, the French described as "the best team in the northern hemisphere", England beating the World Champions and Ireland ripping Fiji and the Puma's a new backside so convincingly. What will these ferocious battles hold? How will this dangerous concoction unfold? Discuss.

February 2: Wales v Ireland, 1.30pm and England v Scotland, 4pm

February 3: Italy v France, 3pm

February 9: Scotland v Italy, 2.30pm and France v Wales, 5pm

February 10: Ireland v England, 3pm

February 23: Italy v Wales, 2.30pm and England v France, 5pm

February 24: Scotland v Ireland, 2pm

March 9: Scotland v Wales, 2.30pm and Ireland v France, 5pm

March 10: England v Italy, 3pm

March 16: Italy v Ireland, 2.30pm, Wales v England, 5pm and France v Scotland, 8pm

4 points for winning predictions and +1 for correct points difference between teams, 5 for a correct draw call and 0 for a loss.

Majesticimperialman - 9/12 +1 for correct points difference between Eng and Scotland.
RugbyFan182 - 8/12
SirBiggles - 8/12
Mystirokey - 8/12
Cyril - 8/12
Duty281 - 8/12
FecklessRough - 4/12
Bsando - 4/12
RiscaRev - 4/12
RuggerRadge2611 - 4/12
Luckless Pedestrian - 0/12
MaesticMafia - 0/12
RubyGuby - 0/12

Get Your round 2 predictions in now!

February 9: Scotland v Italy,2.30pm(Edinburgh)

France v Wales, 5pm(Paris)

February 10: Ireland v England, 3pm(Dublin)

Last edited by RugbyFan182 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

Post by Breadvan Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:04 pm

Wales and Ireland to close to call. England should beat Scotland. France will walk over Italy imo...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Six Nations 2013 Build Up Thread

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

mystiroakey wrote:england have shown improvement last year- forget the all blacks win- we competed in every game..

There is no reason why we should feel confident

I wouldn't be that negative. You are at home Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

doh!!!

done it again i see!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

Wales 15 - 18 Ireland
England 28 - 12 Scotland
Italy 9 - 32 France

....and that's with a heavy heart....

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

wales 15 ireland 18
england 53 scotland 3
italy 12 france 23

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

mystiroakey wrote:wales 15 ireland 18
england 53 scotland 3
italy 12 france 23

I certainly hope the bulk of the England team thinks that will be the scoreline.

I have seen a few posts on different websites (the beeb, the torygraph and rugby planet) saying that this is a probable scoreline.

There is a reasonable chance that the score ends up as a cricket score but it'll be the 1st time in years that England will have run away with it.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

If i was betting I would only bet a 15 pt win- however I am giving it to ya as its getting close!

There is a chance of a battering- But england would somehow need to have the intensity they show at the end of our tours under SL at the start..

I half expect a win and the press to get on our backs.. Saying well that was rubbish!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There seems to be quite a lot of confidence in a narrow Scottish win at Twickenham.

If it were at Murrayfield I could perhaps agree. But it isn't, The English injuries are not a disaster, English internationally have demonstrably improved, English clubs going well in both the HEC and LV.

I've said it before but I think (and this is opinion okay) that England can misfire and still win by 7 - 10 points.

I take it you are basing your theory on the All Blacks win.

England smashed the All Blacks, beat them better than any one else has in a very very very long time. It was remarkable. Too be honest a little too remarkable, it was actually a bit of a shock.

Though a week before England were struggling to pull out wins on far inferior SA and Australian teams.

If England do what the All Blacks did to the rest of us last Autumn, and more, that would prove England have turned a corner and are a very good team.

But a one off win, even against the All Blacks, doesn't change your stars.

And a change of head coach for a certified plum duff wont change Scotland's either.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:40 pm

Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

And a change of head coach for a certified plum duff wont change Scotland's either.

I said the same thing when Lancaster came into coach England.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:49 pm

In the autumn terrible weak Australia only lost against France and SA didnt lose at all.

They have sent better teams in the past, but outside of Ireland Argentina and the game that shall not be mentioned we didnt have our best series of results in the NH.

The rivalries present in the 6N mean that nothing is guaranteed at the weekend, but I'd rather go in having run 2 southern hemisphere teams close and beaten the third than losing to Tonga.

I do find Ireland Wales difficult to call though, mainly because I dont know what we will see from Ireland. They seem to be a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment. Wales, despit the injuries, seem to have a lot of the components in place from the teams that have done so well in recent years, but have been poor with what is apparently divided management and a captain in hopeless form. I dont know yet if they have the leadership on and off the pitch to get them winning again.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

erm people keep pointing out England's games vs Australia and SA like its a bad thing!

We narrowly lost and competed well against No.2 and 3 in the world before tying all lose ends up and giving No.1 a shoeing.

My prediction

England - I think Eng will gain momentum and stay that way, with only Ireland being the potential upset, France look good on paper but at Twickers?!)

Ireland - these guys look good

France The Dark horses, can't see them getting momentum.

Italy - much better than people think, nearly beat Aus and got their backs firing.

Scotland - pressure free, its down to the opposition and chances taken methinks.

Wales (sorry, I genuinely think Scotland and Italy will play better than them due to injuries and consistency).

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:16 pm

There's no problem with our consistency. Seven defeats on the bounce, that's pretty consistent.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

HA... poor sods, well I suppose you have to win at some point and there's always 'on your day'.

As someone else pointed out, if you ambush a misfiring Ireland then who knows, but I still think mid-table is a best case scenario

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:44 pm

damage_13 wrote:HA... poor sods, well I suppose you have to win at some point

9 March 2013
14:30 (GMT)

I'm pretty sure thats when the Welsh will stop the rot.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:47 pm

That's the joy of rugby! If Wales do turnover Ireland, all of a sudden the momentum is with them, the belief is back and their team will just keep getting better as injured players return.
If they don't - could be a long 6N for Wales...
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I said the same thing when Lancaster came into coach England.

Lancaster hardly had a reputation for being a bit.... 'mad' though.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

damage_13 wrote:erm people keep pointing out England's games vs Australia and SA like its a bad thing!

We narrowly lost and competed well against No.2 and 3 in the world before tying all lose ends up and giving No.1 a shoeing.

My prediction

England - I think Eng will gain momentum and stay that way, with only Ireland being the potential upset, France look good on paper but at Twickers?!)

Italy - much better than people think, nearly beat Aus and got their backs firing.

Scotland - pressure free, its down to the opposition and chances taken methinks.

Wales (sorry, I genuinely think Scotland and Italy will play better than them due to injuries and consistency).

Tying the loose ends? Shoeings? Gaining momentum? Good on paper? Dark horses and firing/misfiring? With less than a week to go the time for cliches is over.

The talking will be done on the pitch and, at the end of the day, the Welsh boys know it's a game of two halves and they have to play whatever's in front of them. If we can show plenty of dog and gain parity up front then we can give a good account of ourselves.

With Biggar or Hook controlling the game and showing some soft hands then we have a backline that can give any defence sleepless nights. I'm sure we'll play the game in Ireland's half before earning the right to go wide.

Prediction - Halfpenny's boot will keep the scoreboard ticking over and fitness will tell in the last quarter.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

Prediction - Halfpenny's boot will keep the scoreboard ticking over and fitness will tell in the last quarter.

Yes but Wales all ways seem to tire in the last quarter. ( See Australia game for an example) they cannot afford to stop playing just because they are 2/3 point in font with 30 seconds to go. They have to play to the final whistle.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

Very Happy

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

Casartelli wrote:
damage_13 wrote:erm people keep pointing out England's games vs Australia and SA like its a bad thing!

My prediction

Tying the loose ends? Shoeings? Gaining momentum? Good on paper? Dark horses and firing/misfiring? With less than a week to go the time for cliches is over.

The talking will be done on the pitch and, at the end of the day, the Welsh boys know it's a game of two halves and they have to play whatever's in front of them. If we can show plenty of dog and gain parity up front then we can give a good account of ourselves.

With Biggar or Hook controlling the game and showing some soft hands then we have a backline that can give any defence sleepless nights. I'm sure we'll play the game in Ireland's half before earning the right to go wide.

Casartelli, love the cliché ironies. You were being ironic, right ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:37 pm

His tongue was firmly on the other foot.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:39 pm

Ohh foot in cheek, yeah well I thought so.
Now then, stop taking the pish out of Jiffy's commentary vocab.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:45 am

I think Wales will show real bouncebackability going forward.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:16 am

Teams have to put their foot down with a firm hand...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:37 am

It will be a big axe.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:42 am

Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There seems to be quite a lot of confidence in a narrow Scottish win at Twickenham.

If it were at Murrayfield I could perhaps agree. But it isn't, The English injuries are not a disaster, English internationally have demonstrably improved, English clubs going well in both the HEC and LV.

I've said it before but I think (and this is opinion okay) that England can misfire and still win by 7 - 10 points.

England smashed the All Blacks, beat them better than any one else has in a very very very long time. It was remarkable. Too be honest a little too remarkable, it was actually a bit of a shock.

Though a week before England were struggling to pull out wins on far inferior SA and Australian teams.

If England do what the All Blacks did to the rest of us last Autumn, and more, that would prove England have turned a corner and are a very good team.

Scott Johnson might not make a difference but Dean Ryan will, big time...!

But as i said you, and many many others are basing your theories on England's fortunes on one result while looking at your oppositions negatives.

Have a look at the situation the other way round for a minute and you might take a far more reasonable prediction.

England have masses of expectation on them and a great deal to do to prove that one off victory over the ABs wasn't a fluke because the Kiwis were all recovering from a stomach bug.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

But as i said you, and many many others are basing your theories on England's fortunes on one result while looking at your oppositions negatives.

Have a look at the situation the other way round for a minute and you might take a far more reasonable prediction.
England have masses of expectation on them and a great deal to do to prove that one off victory over the ABs wasn't a fluke because the Kiwis were all recovering from a stomach bug.
Take your own advice, all you ever do is look at England's negatives in your mealy-mouthed posting.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Firstly, England beating the AB isn't a one-off thing, albeit an infrequent thing. Of course, should any of the Celtic teams have the bragging rights over England against SH opposition, then i'll admit that England aren't quite the team I thought. I can understand why the supporter of such a Celtic side would seek to devalue England's last result in any way possible. Ask those who actually know anything about rugby and they'll give you a different opinion on events. I expect you'd be equally upset if I kept repeating the tired old cliche that Wales only win GS when everybody else is rebuilding etc.

The optimism from English fans is not based on one result, its based on a steady and palpable improvement that happened to culminate in a famous victory. I can assure you, our feet are firmly on the ground, as I suspect, are the team's.

Every year the Scots turn up and try to derail England and with a few exceptions, rarely achieve that goal. Of course, England 'should' win comfortably, but Scotland have this knack of bringing everybody down to their second tier level, and as a result, the outcomes are usually quite close.

I see no reason to suspect that this encounter will end otherwise.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Firstly, England beating the AB isn't a one-off thing, albeit an infrequent thing. Of course, should any of the Celtic teams have the bragging rights over England against SH opposition, then i'll admit that England aren't quite the team I thought. I can understand why the supporter of such a Celtic side would seek to devalue England's last result in any way possible. Ask those who actually know anything about rugby and they'll give you a different opinion on events. I expect you'd be equally upset if I kept repeating the tired old cliche that Wales only win GS when everybody else is rebuilding etc.

The optimism from English fans is not based on one result, its based on a steady and palpable improvement that happened to culminate in a famous victory. I can assure you, our feet are firmly on the ground, as I suspect, are the team's.

Every year the Scots turn up and try to derail England and with a few exceptions, rarely achieve that goal. Of course, England 'should' win comfortably, but Scotland have this knack of bringing everybody down to their second tier level, and as a result, the outcomes are usually quite close.

So what you are saying is that, hypothetically, if the game against NZ that England won last December had never happened, you would feel just as confident going into this Six Nations?

That would mean that you would have had a win over Fiji and a draw in SA as the best results after the Six Nations, and some pretty unconvincing losses vs SA and Australia in the summer and Autumn.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:54 am

To answer your questions:

Yes, and

So what?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

Why are you bothering Maesteg - the fact that we only win 6 Grand Slams when everyone else is rebuilding sais it all really - you can't give a blind man eyes - Move on and have some reasoned debate - there's plenty on here thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:00 am

RubyGuby wrote:Why are you bothering Maesteg - the fact that we only win 6 Grand Slams when everyone else is rebuilding sais it all really - you can't give a blind man eyes - Move on and have some reasoned debate - there's plenty on here thumbsup

You complete Richard, banging on about 'England's one offf win' against the AB is no better than people claiming Wales only win when everybody else is re-building.

Actually, at the moment not even that is true is it.

LOL

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:01 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

So what you are saying is that, hypothetically, if the game against NZ that England won last December had never happened, you would feel just as confident going into this Six Nations?

That would mean that you would have had a win over Fiji and a draw in SA as the best results after the Six Nations, and some pretty unconvincing losses vs SA and Australia in the summer and Autumn.

So by your own rational, since Wales haven't won a games since the last six nations, you must be predicting a pretty dire tournament for your team? Oh but wait, I see you are predicting a 16-15 win for Wales against Ireland...

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:03 am

Toohey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

So by your own rational, since Wales haven't won a games since the last six nations, you must be predicting a pretty dire tournament for your team? Oh but wait, I see you are predicting a 16-15 win for Wales against Ireland...

drumroll

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

RubyGuby wrote:Why are you bothering Maesteg - the fact that we only win 6 Grand Slams when everyone else is rebuilding sais it all really - you can't give a blind man eyes - Move on and have some reasoned debate - there's plenty on here thumbsup

Ha ha ha...!

Yep, personally I think this seasons Six Nations teams are a lot tighter that in previous years. I am not discounting a Grand Slam as being possible but I would be very surprised to see any big wins. Even Italy at Twickenham where i think England would run riot if it wasn't for Clancy being the referee...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:08 am

Some of my favourite 'sounds like' spelling hates:

Won, one
Their, there
To too two
Flare, flair
Lose, loose

The England won vs ABs and this was not a one off.
The young naive team came within one point of IRB no2 over two matches. The international naivity is rapidly giving way to experience with every extra cap this developing young team gain.England will beat Scotland at Twickenham, and the other 4N will need to watch out.
England will be 4/5 ot 5/5 by the end of the tourney.

Last edited by gregortree on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:10 am

From my point of view as an English fan, I think our tournament hangs on our game against Ireland. If we can win that I reckon we'll win the tournament, if not we'll be scrapping for second or third (with an outside chance of the Championship)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:10 am

Jimpy wrote:
Toohey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

drumroll

I am predicting a very close tournament. I do think Wales will struggle, we have some very serious injuries. Three of our top Locks are out two of those for the entire tournament. Plus we have not had great form or many wins.

That said, Ireland and England are not exactly injury free either. The lads they are missing are players that make a big difference. Paul O'Connell and Alex Cobisiero are key players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:10 am

Cumbrian wrote:From my point of view as an English fan, I think our tournament hangs on our game against Ireland. If we can win that I reckon we'll win the tournament, if not we'll be scrapping for second or third (with an outside chance of the Championship)

I agree.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

Based on how I think results will go, I have Wales to Finish 2nd ahead of England actually - but it was a close run thing and relies on Wales beating England in Cardiff.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:13 am

2 teams at the top on 8 points - For me it will be 2 out of France, Wales and England thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:13 am

Well despite everything I cant help thinking that some decent performances (in parts admittedly) against the SH teams followed by a good win is better preparation for the 6N than loosing a bunch of games

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:18 am

lostinwales wrote:Well despite everything I cant help thinking that some decent performances (in parts admittedly) against the SH teams followed by a good win is better preparation for the 6N than loosing a bunch of games

Definitely.

There is no doubting England and France are both going into this tournament on a high, Ireland not far behind them, Italy too. Wales and Scotland have not got a positive run up at all. Wales are probably in the worst run up of all and as we all keep saying key injuries, missing a coach, very poor Regional form are all very negative towards Wales ambitions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

What has changed that makes a team that have lost 7 in a row into potential winners or 2nd placers in the 6 Nations?
Is it the return of some key-players who were injured? Are Ireland, (France?)and England viewed as weaker than Samoa or Argentina?
Is it the nature of the 6 Nations - old enemies that are very much known quantities?

I think Ireland are the key to the tournament - Wales and England in particular will be measured by success or failure against them.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

Nobbled, agreed, for England the Dublin visit is a / the major challenge.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:27 am

"The optimism from English fans is not based on one result, its based on a steady and palpable improvement".

There may be a bit more of that one result in there than that suggests, but basically, this is right, isn't it? They've had a very sensible regime in charge and it's got them back on track. They always have good resources in the pack, now those are being used well. I still feel they haven't really got 9-10-12 sorted, and will also be interested to see how they cope without Tuilagi, but they are going to be at the business end of this 6N.

I do expect a bit more from Scotland this year, and think they'll give England more of a game than some seem to be saying, but winning in Twickenham would take a hell of a performance from them.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:29 am

yep playing in dublin is the game that worries me!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:29 am

Meanwhile, the pessimism in Wales comes from Howlers being in charge. I hope he's going to prove us wrong.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:31 am

nobbled wrote:What has changed that makes a team that have lost 7 in a row into potential winners or 2nd placers in the 6 Nations?
Is it the return of some key-players who were injured? Are Ireland, (France?)and England viewed as weaker than Samoa or Argentina?
Is it the nature of the 6 Nations - old enemies that are very much known quantities?

I think Ireland are the key to the tournament - Wales and England in particular will be measured by success or failure against them.

Players coming back and particularly Adam up front alongside Hibbard will provide a solid foundation - The AI's were injury ravaged performances under shambolic management and we got what we deserved. All our players will be back come the England game in Cardiff and people are forgetting about that. At the end of the day we lost to Australia at home by a couple of points, just like yourselves. If you want to convince yourself that this is a rubbish welsh team then just go ahead and do it. That is the same arrogance that had you preparing your Grand Slam DVD's before the Ireland game and that if anything should have taught you a thing or two about what it takes to win a Grand Slam. This welsh side has beaten every other side in the 6 nations in their last competitive games. Last 2 v Eng, last 3 v Ire and more against Scot and Italy. Carry on with your perception. We will keep a welcome in Cardiff in March when you come to visit the current Grand Slam holders - don't go planning your dvd's quite yet thumbsup

I would add to that that Priestland has been a nightmare for 12 months which has greatly contributed to the poor performances thumbsup

And finally, when the teams meet in March they will be very similar to the teams that met at Twickers last year and we know what happened there thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:32 am

BlueNote, my concern is that we won't create anything. Four defeats in the autumn was bad enough, but we only scored three tries and one of those was from an interception.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next