The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+36
BlueCoverman
I'm never wrong
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Nay
JPX
1GrumpyGolfer
beninho
raycastleunited
shudofhita4iron
Roller_Coaster
Skydriver
princedracula
Shotrock
dynamark
golfermartin
lorus59
SmithersJones
pedro
Seve_The_Great
gaelgowfer
barragan
incontinentia
super_realist
Doon the Water
puligny
GunsGerms
kwinigolfer
Hibbz
hend085
JAS
McLaren
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
Diggers
oldshanker
40 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by oldshanker Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

I agree Digs - what I was commenting on was not their lack of invention, but their lack of cohesion. They did not get the basics right, the least a back has to do is commit his opposite number, which becomes more important against the 'drift' defence, and then follow up and support. This was not happening yesterday, apart from Chris ashton on occasions.

I have not seen Goode play in his club matches, but on a number of occasions, he caught the ball deep, began to run, hesitated and then was caught without any support. I can't remember ever seeing Ben Foden caught like that. It is yet another sign of a lack of cohesion in the backs.

Of course, this probably is all due to the fact they are a relatively new squad and should come together the more they play together. But on the face of it, I think yesterday was a fair showing against a team that in my opinion is still there to be taken and will possibly only get one win in this series.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu May 23, 2013 2:20 pm

I like Jeremy Clarkson. Sorry.

His programme on IK Brunel in the "Great Britons" thingy was excellent, his documentary on that WWII raid thingy on the atlantic coast sub base (apologies for ignorance/failing memory), likewise and not simply for the subject matter. His books (collated Times(?) articles) are entertaining and Top Gear is my favourite TV programme.

Some of his views are over the top, and I can see why people would say idiotic (some of his anti environmentalist views I fervently disagree with and I do think are idiotic). Although I find he is capable of backing his point up with often well reasoned argument (even if I still disagree).

Although tbh - quite a lot of blokes are little more than schoolboys regardless of age. It is likely that I may be one of them in finding much Clarkson output amusing.

Besides - it's D4S fault for saying that 'anything goes'.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Anyone watch the rugby yesterday? Only viewed on the box but not a great spectacle.Didnt realise Hartley had such a bad reputation but the referee again wanted to be the centre of attention.he would argue of course that he was doing the job correctly but the game as an event just seems to fall down on decisions and rules.Tigers more measured and disciplined and Northampton seemed to be a little wound up and put too much into the early part of the game.No complaints in Leicester though

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun May 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Diggers wrote:Super , how on earth can you slag off all the celebrity chefs etc and then say you enjoyed watching something presented by Clarkson, surely one of the most irritating, over aged schoolboys in the planet.

Diggers, I'm talking about two documentaries he did.
The first a documentary entitled The Greatest Raid of All (St.Nazairre)
and another on The Victoria Cross.

He is a completely different animal in these, not remotely irritating or schoolboyish, and even you might see him in a different light if you were to watch them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun May 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Got to agree with you there SR.
I can't stand the guy but he did those two documentaries very well.

We have a retired RN Commander as a neighbour, he is well into his 90's now.
He was Commander of the midget submarines based at Rothesay during WW2. They had a survival rate of 30% per raid. He did six before the navy retired him from active service.
We should never forget guys like him.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun May 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Diggers wrote:From what I gather lots of people rushed to help the guy despite the fact two psychos were standing by with machetes and guns. That's pretty brave in my book. I don't think I'd have attempted to tackle two big guys if I was unarmed, in fact I know I wouldn't.
As for the filming, I doubt it was gratuitous, firstly its evidence and secondly it conveys the horror of the event which should unite people to try and stop it happening again.

Seems it was only three who 'stepped up'. All three female.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 pm

super_realist wrote:He is a completely different animal in these, not remotely irritating or schoolboyish, and even you might see him in a different light if you were to watch them.
That's because his wife told him to be a bit more extreme in his early days, and obviously for effect. Top Gear is not a car show, it's an entertainment show, and being controversial "sells". His two documentaries didn't need that over the top performance and were better for it. Didn't the one about the VC's ended up talking about his father in law?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 pm

i like Clarkson. he's funny. the cool wall on top gear is an irony- 3 of the least cool guys on earth telling us which cars are and aren't cool.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu May 30, 2013 3:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkfqH6GZyfg

Fantastic animation and a classic clip.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:Super , how on earth can you slag off all the celebrity chefs etc and then say you enjoyed watching something presented by Clarkson, surely one of the most irritating, over aged schoolboys in the planet.

Diggers, I'm talking about two documentaries he did.
The first a documentary entitled The Greatest Raid of All (St.Nazairre)
and another on The Victoria Cross.

He is a completely different animal in these, not remotely irritating or schoolboyish, and even you might see him in a different light if you were to watch them.

Seen then, read plenty of his columns as well. Still find him irritating as hell.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:30 pm

does anyone watch Oliver Stone's untold history of the United States? i know he is seen by some as a bit of a tin foil hat conspiracist, but this programme is very good.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 am

Yes I have been watching it, amazing really that we got through the 30 or so years after the end of World War 2 without at least a few nuclear missiles being launched in anger...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Anyone watching the tennis Mr Murray has definitely hurt himself there IMO.
Adrenalin and keeping moving but the physio will be busy tonight.His game involve a lot of good movement laterally which is what Laura Robson needs to improve on.Modern game is very much side to side rather than up and down the court.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Murray not hurt fortunately but it did look nasty. Been a perfect weeks prep for him all in all, got rid of all the rust and win a big event as a bonus.
Think Nadal is the man to beat this year, Id fancy Murray against Djokovic or Federer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Did well to close it out diggers.I sometimes feel his body language encourages the opponent a little but he has matured a lot last few years.Always got the ability to return better than almost all others great movement just looked to rush a few shots in the second set -no doubt the final matches at Wimbledon will be down to a couple of vital points.Looking forward to it then the open of course

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:53 am

I had a look and it seems this is only the second time the UK has held the US open for both tennis and golf since 1903.

In 1903 Willie Anderson won the US open (golf) and then later that summer Lawrence Doherty won the US open (tennis).
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 am

Fingers crossed we have another double with Murray winning Wimbledon and Rose the Open.
Who has the tougher task of the two ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:22 am

Rose, by far.
Murray has to beat two at the top. Rose has to beat about 30-40 players capable of winning + a far higher possibility of a long shot coming from nowhere.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:36 am

But the people who Murray has to beat are much better. Woods hasn't won a major for 5 years, Coco the worlds next best is playing shockingly.
Murray has to beat probably Nadal and Djokovic, two all time greats at their peaks.
I think Rose is competing in a very weak era in golf right now in terms of great players, the reverse is true for Murray Id say.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:39 am

Rain, in Edinburgh, at last! Only been a couple of months since our last rainfall, but feels like longer.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 am

Fair point, but for me Murray has about a 3/10 chance of winning. Rose, perhaps 1/10 at the very most.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:51 am

I do agree really, bit mainly because IMO Murray is a better tennis player than Rose a golfer (thus far in their careers anyway) and also because grass is a good surface for him.
Anyway Ill be cheering them both on.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 am

Good to see that trophy biting rat handed his arse yesterday.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 am

weak era of golf... Pffftt.

Still all the same murray is better..(just)

Rose is still class mind.. And deserved winner..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Diggers wrote:Fingers  crossed we have another double with Murray winning Wimbledon and Rose the Open.
Who has the tougher task of the two ?

First leg of the double done then. Super chuffed for Murray, that last game was agony.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:15 pm

I never thought I'd live to see the day, certainly until Henman started to make it feel it was possible. Fantastic.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Kwini, probably the think I've wanted to happen in sport more than anything, Id even take it over Sunderland winning the Premiership.
Maybe an England world cup win would have topped it but I prefer Murray to a load of footballers to be honest.
Anyway after the Lions win we just need to spark the Aussies in the Ashes and its another great British summer of sport.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Digs,
Yup, right up there. Fortunately I've enjoyed a World Cup win(!) and, when I was an infant, Pompey winning the League was so ho-hum, but when I was hitting a tennis ball against the wall as a young'un I'd pretend to be someone like Mike Davies or Roger Becker, then think it was a miracle if they ever reached the second round at Wimbers.

Would love to see Westwood win The Open, not a national iconic thing, but that's next on the old bucket list!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Id he very happy with that though a win for Luke would probably be my preferred option, but I think Justin will be the more likely candidate again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 pm

That ... was just incredible.  As you say Diggers, that last game was agony.  Pretty typical really for scots to do things the hard way! Rolling Eyes 

Just great to see everyone enjoying the moment.

The only blight on the whole occasion was Wee Eck waving a scottish flag. What an embarrassment he is to Scotland.  Nae class at a'!

And the added bonus was :drumroll:Qatada finally getting kicked out.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 am

Superb from Murray.
Britains premier sportsman.
Dead right about fat salmond though. Should be out in prison for that. I hate that man

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:06 am

Go back to California . . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 am

Good weekend all round(apart from my medal round).
Salmond was rather typical but I wonder who did the seating arragements and put him behind DC.
As an aside my son is unfortunately residing in Doncaster HMP for the next few weeks and he rang me to say that the entire prison was watching and a big cheer went up,strange but true.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:57 am

I see DC is prematurely ejaculating Murray in to a Knighthood.

Ridiculous.

Expect A.Jacklin might have something to say about that: Wait your turn.

Hope there's plenty more of an unsporting nature for dynajunior to cheer about very soon . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Dyna

What did he do?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

What I like about Murray is that I cant think of a single sportsman who would be less interested in a knighthood or all the fuss that goes with it. I like the story hat he bought a Ferrari and sold it back to the showroom a week later because he felt like a prat driving it. Very grounded bloke.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Knighthoods for sportsman before they retire, or at least before a retiring age (for golfers!), are ridiculous.

Completely agree, Digs, about Murray being grounded. Long may that continue.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Always tended to dislike tennis as a spectacle as it has been either too smash bang (serve volley wimbledon) or rallies too dull and drawn out (French) but watched Murray's quarter, semi and the final set and a half yesterday and he really is very good indeed. Going a break down then breaking back twice to take the set was very, very impressive.

Were he to get a knighthood, would the referees technically have to title him when announcing scores during each match?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Why would Murray deserve a knighthood in front of Angela Mortimer, Ann Jones and Virginia Wade?
Or Catriona Matthew, Sandy Lyle, and Jacklin?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Good point kwini.  I guess back then they just didn't believe in handing them out like sweeties.

However, if a runner and cyclist can get one then it would be wrong to deny Murray.  Nevertheless, I agree with Diggers in that I can't think of anyone who would be less interested.  Not sure if Murray's for an independent Scotland or not but if he is then he would surely have to turn it down anyway in the (hopefully unlikely event) of the referendum going The Slippery One's way.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Why would Murray deserve a knighthood in front of Angela Mortimer, Ann Jones and Virginia Wade?
Or Catriona Matthew, Sandy Lyle, and Jacklin?

What has Wiggo done to deserve one more?

I generally don't agree with active sportsmen/women receiving top honours, but there is precedent. As usual, everyone's getting a bit carried away with Murray's achievements, impressive as they are.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Does anyone take the honors system seriously enough to care who gets what?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:34 pm

I would really love to see Murray or anyone for that matter turn down the knighthood,pointless political gesturing in my opinion,even by the queen.I get the distinct impression that Mr Murray is getting slightly fed up with the stupid questions from all and sundry.'what were you thinking of on the last point'etc.'well I was thinking about getting home and watering my geraniums'its an individual sport but they all have to think of tv and sponsors etc.I think most of us golfists appreciate individual achievement through our game and maybe have a better perspective.
Mac my lad was driving late at night in Sheffield when his two mates jumped out and assaulted and robbed a lad after an earlier argument in a nightclub.I don't think he was directly involved but barrister advised him to plead guilty to a lesser involvement which he did but we got unluckly with a change of judge and barrister on the day and his mates got 2 years and he was given 9 months.He still insists he knew nothing but too late now.Claasic porridge style comedy he was complaining that when they left the cell for breakfast someone nicked the plug from the sink-place is full of criminals!
Just got to sit it out for about 8 weeks and he will be out on licence.Not good.Funny cos on the day he was convicted his mate same age was playing in open quali at dunbar two kids brought up a few streets away mates when they were younger very different result.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I got arrested once and have to admit I was bricking it as the possibility of a trial became quite real. Thankfully I was lucky enough for the whole thing to get dropped by the PF. I am sorry to hear you had to go through the whole process.

dyna wrote:I would really love to see Murray or anyone for that matter turn down the knighthood,pointless political gesturing in my opinion.

I agree with this.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Mac lucky gael and super were not on the bench you could still be in.
My lads own fault all about what happens when he reappears now.
Have to share this hes just phoned for some phone numbers off his mobile.Lot of noise in the background .Its Jeremy Kyle on tv he says.Im surprised they let you watch that said I.
he replies-watch it, most of em in here have been on it!!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Sir Justin Rose anyone? If he were to add the Open to his US Open would there be the same hysteria? I don't think so

The empty vessels make the most sound

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

fair point Davie.Murray has been on TV stuff all day adidas must be delighted.As mentioned earlier I don't think it would make the slightest difference to Rose,Murray,Jacklin as individuals and all credit to them for that,You have to make your own way in life try to leave a decent trail in your wake is my take.Far to much reliance on others/celebrity/sportsmen/so called popstars for my liking.Credit where its due but 'honours' for sportspersons not required thanks anyway

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 am

Despite agreeing that active curerent sports people probably shouldn't receive knighthoods, I'd still prefer honours for sportsmen and women that have actually achieved something of note over civil servants for simply making it to 55 or whatever the unwritten back scratching criteria are!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 am

To try and put it in a golf context (although ultimately difficult because tennis can only be matchplay not strokeplay), Murray has now won 2 Majors and hasn't even peaked yet and in an era against what are effectively 3 Tiger Woods. To again compare to golf, golf in the UK must have something right in terms of participation and development given the number of players in the Top 50. Tennis development on the other hand (and the results from it) have been diabolical for years so it's incredible that Murray has somehow broke through in spite of it. So I believe Murray's achievements have been incredible.

Having said all that the honours system I believe is hideous. The whole debate in the last day or 2 is NOT being fuelled by Murray's achievements it's Cameron's blatant bandwagon jumping. On the one hand it's disrespectful to Lizzie turn it down but on the other it's also cool as F*** to tell Cameron where to stuff it. Murray is a well grounded bloke and whereas he deserves to be recognised for what he's achieved he shouldn't be put in the position of having to decide whether to accept or reject...and certainly not now when he's just approaching his peak. Looking back at last year Wiggo accepted his but deep down, how comfortable was he with it?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 am

"what are effectively 3 Tiger Woods"

The rest fine JAS - good comments.

The above- Come on!!! Crazy talk Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 am

3 Tiger Woods - Driver, 3 wood and 5 wood?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next