The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering

+17
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
Il Gialloblu
Mind the windows Tino.
RatBoy66
superflyweight
adamk
JabMachineMK2
seanmichaels
88Chris05
Rowley
TopHat24/7
STC
Mr Bounce
spencerclarke
John Bloody Wayne
Strongback
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering Empty Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering

Post by Strongback Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Professional boxer Lee Purdy is among six people charged in connection with frauds against elderly and vulnerable people in Essex.

Mr Purdy, 26, a former British welterweight champion, of Greenstead Road, Colchester, and five others have been charged with money laundering.

All have been bailed to appear before Colchester magistrates on 10 September.

They were arrested after police executed search warrants in Epping, Colchester and Clacton on Tuesday.

Also charged are Barry Lilley, 63, unemployed, of Frinton Road, Kirby Cross; Lee Symes, 33 a builder, of Church Road, Elmstead, Susan Lilley, 57, an electricity board worker, of Ipswich Road, Holland-on-Sea, Vanessa Clement, 54, a cleaner, of Bromley Road, Ardleigh, and Derek Johnstone, 69, a retiree from Ipswich Road, Holland-on-Sea.

The arrests were made by detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, following a seven-month investigation alongside Essex County Council trading standards and adult social care.

Seven other people have already been charged with conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation between 2009 and 2013.

Police said nearly 40 people, aged 65 to 99, were thought to have been victims of fraud totalling more than £1m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23804724

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering Empty Re: Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:54 am

Well he wasn't going to make much with his boxing skills...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering Empty Re: Colchester boxer Lee Purdy charged with money laundering

Post by Strongback Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 am

He wasn't going to make it with his dieting skills.

I'm really not keen on those that steal from the elderly.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 am

I seriously hope this isnt true as it's dispicable

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 am

Why am I not surprsied that he comes from Greenstead...

Hope he gets everything he deserves. Nasty piece of work if true.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 am

".....frauds against elderly and vulnerable people" ?

Classy.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:10 am

scum

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:12 am

TWUNT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Can I just put my mod hat on for a minute and remind you all of the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Rowley wrote:Can I just put my mod hat on for a minute and remind you all of the concept of innocent until proven guilty.
Lefty, liberal, hippie, Blue Peter badge wearing nonsense!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Look on the bright side. At least they won't have to live with the consequences of the crime for too long.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Superfly is our lawyer Chris, can you blame me for wanting to avoid getting sued.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:39 pm

If he's been charged we can say what we want. If he was suspected or in for questioning then its defamation of character and we could be sued. But he's been charged. Means they have sufficient evidence to do so.

Flame away boys

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:41 pm

From Lee's twitter:

Lee Purdy ‏@LeePurdy1 3h
A supposedly friend has been using my name. The truth will come out in the end

I hope its not true and i agree with Rowley Innocent until proven guilty.

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Aye, being charged isn't proof of guilt. Was disappointed all-round with Purdy's effort against Alexander, but all the same I hope there's no truth in this, as it's just one of those disgusting crimes you wish nobody was capable of.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Not proof of guilt, but does alleviate any issues with being sued talking about it.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:49 pm

There's generally sufficient grounds for CPS to believe they've a strong possibility of getting a prosecution though. They tend not to throw that money at cases if they're onto a loser...especially in these harsh financial times

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Will have to wait and see then. Ooohh, it's going to be a nail biter!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Unlike his fights

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Have no issues with talking about it, however am not sure calling an innocent guy (which he is until proven otherwise) scum is something we want to be seen doing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Rowley wrote:Superfly is our lawyer Chris, can you blame me for wanting to avoid getting sued.
Just because I'm a little drunk before noon most days does not affect my abilities.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm just waiting for Az to show up and tell us all how great this is for British boxing and Purdy's career, as nobody likes the nice guy and we need characters and 'bad guys' to help the popularity of the sport grow.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Rowley, have you considered the possibility that the torrent of abuse for Purdy is personal and merely coincidental yet just happens to have come brimming to the boil at the same time an article is posted connecting him a case of fraud involving the elderly?

I think you'll find that should be sufficient to thwart any Legal issues, but don't quote me, I make tea for a living.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:04 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Aye, being charged isn't proof of guilt. Was disappointed all-round with Purdy's effort against Alexander, but all the same I hope there's no truth in this, as it's just one of those disgusting crimes you wish nobody was capable of.
A colleague was on jury duty last year, one of his fellow jurors came up with this golden nugget:

"Well he wouldn't be here if he wasn't guilty, would he?".

picard

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Aye, being charged isn't proof of guilt. Was disappointed all-round with Purdy's effort against Alexander, but all the same I hope there's no truth in this, as it's just one of those disgusting crimes you wish nobody was capable of.
A colleague was on jury duty last year, one of his fellow jurors came up with this golden nugget:

picard
When you consider that the CPS make the decision to charge based on their opinion that a jury of twelve right minded people would be convinced by the weight of the prosecution's argument, it's not THAT far-fetched. The jury are there to test the weight of evidence for and against and make a decision based upon that.

The issue is that at Court , witnesses fail to attend or Defence Barristers are able to introduce the element of "reasonable doubt" (which again is subject to the whims of the individual and what they deem to be "reasonable") or we end up with issues surrounding the credibility of witnesses as opposed to the actual evidence they're offering.

I've given evidence in my job on a number of occasions and the guff some of these lawyers come out with is incredible however not as incredible as the fact that some jurors fall for it.

Look at the case recently when a guy was found not guilty of child sex offences becasue his barrister inmplied that the 13 year old victim was a sexual predator herself.

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

picard
I did Jury service a few years ago, and having spent a fair amount of time with my fellow 11 jurors, it was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow. There are a lot of people out there with the "Well he wouldn't be here if he wasn't guilty, would he?" attitude, or maybe I was just unlucky. I had one guy after the first few hours saying "I just get the feeling he's guilty".

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Being from Essex something like this was always bound to happen.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Ooohh, it's going to be a nail biter!
Is anybody else picturing Chris saying this in a Larry Grayson style?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:45 pm

RatBoy66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

picard
I did Jury service a few years ago, and having spent a fair amount of time with my fellow 11 jurors, it was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow. There are a lot of people out there with the "Well he wouldn't be here if he wasn't guilty, would he?" attitude, or maybe I was just unlucky. I had one guy after the first few hours saying "I just get the feeling he's guilty".  
It happens, or you get people saying, "Well he doesn't look like the sort of person to shove a glass in someone's face, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Not really, Tino, but this...

superflyweight wrote:Just because I'm a little drunk before noon most days does not affect my abilities.

... was definitely Lionel Hutz in my head.

superfly:
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:20 pm

I had this in my head

Spoiler:

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:35 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

picard
Look at the case recently when a guy was found not guilty of child sex offences becasue his barrister inmplied that the 13 year old victim was a sexual predator herself.
He was found guilty though, wasn't he?

It was only in regards to sentencing that the victims alleged attitude and promiscuity were taken into account.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Let's just wait for the trial.......They thought they had a good case against Barry George....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
RatBoy66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

picard
It happens, or you get people saying, "Well he doesn't look like the sort of person to shove a glass in someone's face, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!"
Worse, my boss was in about 10 years ago and one of the jurors was a devout Muslim woman (wore everything but the face-veil) and when they did their first round robin round the table after retiring she said "I don't believe in UK justice, only Allah can judge.", just crossed her arms and refused to say another word!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's just wait for the trial.......They thought they had a good case against Barry George....
There's still far more people who committed the crime found guilty than there are gross miscarriages of justice.

And since when were you voted spokesperson for the Court of public opinion? If we want to make wildly inaccurate and inflammatory statements without availing ourselves of all the pertinent facts, who are you to tell us otherwise?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's just wait for the trial.......They thought they had a good case against Barry George....
There's still far more people who committed the crime found guilty than there are gross miscarriages of justice.

And since when were you voted spokesperson for the Court of public opinion? If we want to make wildly inaccurate and inflammatory statements without availing ourselves of all the pertinent facts, who are you to tell us otherwise?
Well why have a trial then..........If his eyes are too close together just hang him....

How pathetic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Well why have a trial then..........If his eyes are too close together just hang him....

How pathetic..
Grow up TRUSS, I'm clearly taking the p!$$ (got out the wrong side of the womb, this fella). Whilst the case of Barry George is a high profile one, let's not start thinking that it happens with alarming regularity (arguments that it shouldn't really happen at all are for another thread and another day). The fact is that the CPS generally have a strong basis for their reasons to prosecute yet some people seek to highlight the outlandish ones whilst the thousands and thousands of "every day" cases that are concluded satisfactorily get nary a mention.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:00 pm

1. I'm never growing up..........Life is too short...

2. I never know when you're joking........because most of your opinions are strange to say the least..

3. I don't like women that drink pints....Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:1. I'm never growing up..........Life is too short...

2. I never know when you're joking........because most of your opinions are strange to say the least..

1...but not as short as you
2... humour is subjective, some appreciate it, other don't.
3...it's hardly relevant to the conversation, you strange little man!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

well you can't say fairer than that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:07 pm

I don't like women drinking pints either Truss. Fortunately TSMR is a lady and would never dream of such vulgarity.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

well you can't say fairer than that..
Especially if you have a lisp

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
I had this in my head

Spoiler:
This is even more hurtful and upsetting than when Fight News on the old BBC site said that he imagined me looking like Mark Owen. Or when someone else (probably Dave) said that they could imagine me being a carbon copy of Roy Schneider's character in Jaws!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Don't mention fightnews............Guy was a real pain...stalked me no end.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:16 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
I had this in my head

Spoiler:
This is even more hurtful and upsetting than when Fight News on the old BBC site said that he imagined me looking like Mark Owen. Or when someone else (probably Dave) said that they could imagine me being a carbon copy of Roy Schneider's character in Jaws!
Tino and Sean clearly haven't heard you on the podcast.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

I dont mind my birds drinking out of a pint glass

The more drunk they get the better as I can worry less about my own behaviour

Anyway off down Pembrokeshire for the bank holiday gents in half hour so see you all next Wednesday

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
I had this in my head

Spoiler:
Tino and Sean clearly haven't heard you on the podcast.....
You look more like Kurt Russell from The Thing

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't even like pints myself, especially not a woman...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I don't even like pints myself, especially not a woman...
We get that you are gay, can you stop spreading your propoganda or putin might kill you.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm

I actually cannot fathom as to why people like "pints" they smell atrocious, make you fat and taste like genuine p1$$, pure disgusting.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next