The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eng v Aus match thread + build up

+82
BigTrevsbigmac
nganboy
Metal Tiger
kingjohn7
Heaf
Bristolian
mckay1402
englandglory4ever
kiakahaaotearoa
Exiledinborders
Barney McGrew did it
majesticimperialman
Brendan
madmaccas
Rugby Fan
GLove39
trebellbobaggins
Feckless Rogue
ospreysboyo
wales606
GunsGerms
Knowsit17
kingelderfield
Full Credit
LeinsterFan4life
QuickBall
TJ
mystiroakey
nobbled
yappysnap
emack2
Pal Joey
EnglishReign
Breadvan
markb
splenetic
The Saint
aucklandlaurie
tigerleghorn
No 7&1/2
Jhamer25
Poorfour
Wyldthing
WELL-PAST-IT
Portnoy's Complaint
dummy_half
Cumbrian
jimmyinthewell68
Toadfish
Bathman_in_London
stub
Scrumpy
bluestonevedder
butterfingers
Duty281
Geordie
sirtidychris
lostinwales
propdavid_london
BamBam
nathan
Hood83
blackcanelion
maestegmafia
thomh
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
hugehandoff
fa0019
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
munkian
Cyril
Icu
sad_gimp
Taylorman
Hound of Harrow
quinsforever
GloriousEmpire
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
86 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Eng v Aus match thread + build up - Page 2 Empty Eng v Aus match thread + build up

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chance to chat about the game.
I think it will be a real cracker with England to take it by around 8 points or more.
I know every game is important but the management must have this penciled in as a must win because they can win it if they play it right.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Eng v Aus match thread + build up - Page 2 Empty Re: Eng v Aus match thread + build up

Post by doctor_grey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:09 am

At Saints, Lawes and Wood provide a lot of good push for the props to work with. I think the new laws are a bit more about the entire pack than the hit from the front row. I think we can take the Aussie pack. Grind 'em and maul 'em for 80 sublime minutes.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Eng v Aus match thread + build up - Page 2 Empty Re: Eng v Aus match thread + build up

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

Wow Hoody ol boy, your not very enthusiastic about this one are you.

Id like to agree with Chris.

Defensively - Is there actually any weeklinks? Even Ashton has found his tackling boots so far this season...and with Lawes leading like a exocet missile i think we should be fine.

Offensively - I was hugely critical that we were underweight - especially against Wales. I have slowly changed my mind and think now its more the fact we lacked ANY kind of carrying ability to relieve the pressure and take the game to the opposition. Look at this pack now...Mako, Billy, Tom Young, as hard yard makers, launchbury, Wood and Robshaw all capable in the looser areas and even Lawes appears to have adapted his carrying a bit.
The other benefits of this is that we can then get our strike runners like Ashton, Yarde brown etc running lines on their shoulders...and also using Tomkins as a pivot.

Lineout - we have Lawes, launchbury, Wood and Robshaw giving us 4 options.

Scrum - Well Youngs and Cole are doing just fine with the new laws and have faced the Aussies before....no worries. Mako despite a torrid half an hour spell is not HALF as bad as everyone seems to make out...and indeed im sure Sarries have been hammering him in this area constantly aswell...add to that Parling is lighter than Lawes and Launchbury we have added bulk in the engine room to support the front row.

I am actually positive that IF we can get our potential gameplan going...we good do quite well.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

sirtidychris wrote:Out of that oz backline the last thing i would want to do is kick it anywhere near folau !! He is a natural athletic unit and covers ground so well....he went well at fullback against the lions looking electric everytime he touched the ball...so doubt he will have a problem against us, kick the corners i say Very Happy   
Ha, yep I would definitely avoid kicking it down his throat!

I mean in terms of general FB positioning, looking at someone like Halfpenny who is absolutely brilliant and every kick seems to go straight to him no matter where they are aimed .. just not sure if Folau has the same knack for being in the right place. If we have the chance to make him chase a bouncing ball and get a strong chase on I think it could pay dividends!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:38 am

It was a crushing and humilating defeat that started England off to eventually conquer the world in 2003, let's hope that happens again 12 years on. Home advantage, better man-for-man, and have a point to prove. England really are in a better class than Australia.

England by 10-12. Teams like this, England should be beating, and beating well.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:38 am

He played wing against the Liobs and is a magnificent counterattacker. However, good at positioning himself he is not
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

sirtidychris wrote:Out of that oz backline the last thing i would want to do is kick it anywhere near folau !! He is a natural athletic unit and covers ground so well....he went well at fullback against the lions looking electric everytime he touched the ball...so doubt he will have a problem against us, kick the corners i say Very Happy   
Correct me if I'm wrong but, unless he swapped there late in a game, Folau didn't play full back against the Lions. Seems to have swapped there since though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

thomh wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, unless he swapped there late in a game, Folau didn't play full back against the Lions. Seems to have swapped there since though.
Yeah, when Barnes got injured (in the 1st Test) Beale came in at FB. Folau was wing for all 3 I think.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

Have the teams been named yet?

I am a touch more cautious than many, Aus were pretty poor last year and we all but beat ourselves.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:49 am

Hood83 wrote:
beshocked wrote:
Hood83 wrote:Can't say i'm looking forward to Dickson and Tomkins playing, it has stodge written all over it. If our backrow doesn't muller Oz at the breakdown we are going to have some very slow and ponderous ball shipped along our line. I don't think Tomkins is anywhere near international class.
Nice of you to write off a player before he has had even played.

You talk about slow and ponderous ball. I would say that Dickson generally gives a snappier pass than Youngs and Care who have a tendency to crab across the field and take too long to make decisions occasionally.

Dickson is in very good form. I know some posters have been waxing lyrical about Myler but he's been made to look better because of the decent form of his scrum halves.

People underestimate how much influence a 9's performance has on the 10's performance. Slow service from the 9 puts the rest of the backline under pressure but if the 9 gives the 10 more time than it makes their job much easier.

In a way it makes sense to start - Dickson/Farrell - both in good form. It means you can bring the Tigers duo of Youngs/Flood off the bench.

Farrell hasn't exactly had the best 9s to work with for his club this season so we might see a further improvement from him.
Nice of you to jump in with your usual chippy support of Sarries players.

Dickson is an unusual one for me. I'd agree when he concentrates on getting the ball away he's probably marginally quicker at getting it out from under a pack than Youngs or Care. The requirement for the scrum half to use the ball has improved his game as he was an awful dawdler before that. Youngs, for me, has gone backwards, but I think Care is a better player than Dickson, and on form his pass is as good.

Our back-line is slower than erosion and carries almost zero running threat at 9, 10, 12 and 13. I don't think that is good enough. Not a criticism of the individual players, but picked together I think we don't have enough. The Aussies are too savvy to just have it trucked up against them.
Hood83 what do you expect me to say? I would have personally probably had Trinder instead of Tomkins but as Tomkins has been picked I will support him. I certainly won't write him off as not being international class before he's even played!

Dickson is not a Sarries player by the way.

Care in my opinion has proven himself as an excellent club player but for me has never really shown the same form at international level.

I think you're underrating the backline. Okay it doesn't have that much X factor but I think the players are good enough to make decent progress. Surely it's an improvement on the one in the 6 nations?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

England Team: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Chris Ashton (Saracens), Joel Tomkins Saracens), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester), Marland Yarde London Irish), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Lee Dickson (Northampton), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Tom Youngs (Leicester), Dan Cole (Leicester), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton), Tom Wood (Northampton), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, c), Billy Vunipola (Saracens).
Replacements: Dylan Hartley (Northampton), Joe Marler Harlequins), David Wilson (Bath), Dave Attwood Bath), Ben Morgan Gloucester), Ben Youngs (Leicester), Toby Flood (Leicester), Ben Foden (Northampton).

It's a good team
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

That's a strong bench too.

It's good to know that if each player came off the bench we're not looking at a drop in quality.

Conversely (as is often said) I guess it still means we're not quite sure about nailed-on players as you could argue for most of the bench players getting a start.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:56 am

beshocked wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
beshocked wrote:
Hood83 wrote:Can't say i'm looking forward to Dickson and Tomkins playing, it has stodge written all over it. If our backrow doesn't muller Oz at the breakdown we are going to have some very slow and ponderous ball shipped along our line. I don't think Tomkins is anywhere near international class.
Nice of you to write off a player before he has had even played.

You talk about slow and ponderous ball. I would say that Dickson generally gives a snappier pass than Youngs and Care who have a tendency to crab across the field and take too long to make decisions occasionally.

Dickson is in very good form. I know some posters have been waxing lyrical about Myler but he's been made to look better because of the decent form of his scrum halves.

People underestimate how much influence a 9's performance has on the 10's performance. Slow service from the 9 puts the rest of the backline under pressure but if the 9 gives the 10 more time than it makes their job much easier.

In a way it makes sense to start - Dickson/Farrell - both in good form. It means you can bring the Tigers duo of Youngs/Flood off the bench.

Farrell hasn't exactly had the best 9s to work with for his club this season so we might see a further improvement from him.
Nice of you to jump in with your usual chippy support of Sarries players.

Dickson is an unusual one for me. I'd agree when he concentrates on getting the ball away he's probably marginally quicker at getting it out from under a pack than Youngs or Care. The requirement for the scrum half to use the ball has improved his game as he was an awful dawdler before that. Youngs, for me, has gone backwards, but I think Care is a better player than Dickson, and on form his pass is as good.

Our back-line is slower than erosion and carries almost zero running threat at 9, 10, 12 and 13. I don't think that is good enough. Not a criticism of the individual players, but picked together I think we don't have enough. The Aussies are too savvy to just have it trucked up against them.
Hood83 what do you expect me to say? I would have personally probably had Trinder instead of Tomkins but as Tomkins has been picked I will support him. I certainly won't write him off as not being international class before he's even played!

Dickson is not a Sarries player by the way.

Care in my opinion has proven himself as an excellent club player but for me has never really shown the same form at international level.

I think you're underrating the backline. Okay it doesn't have that much X factor but I think the players are good enough to make decent progress. Surely it's an improvement on the one in the 6 nations?
I have to agree with Beshocked actually. The reason I think Care plays less well for England than for Quins is that Quins use him very differently and basically give him attacking free reign with plays running off him. England don't and he doesn't seem to adapt to a more structured gameplan that well though he seems to be trying to by working on his kicking etc. when he comes on as a sub he always raises the tempo, because the game is inherently less structured by this point
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:56 am

As most suspected...i hope they click as it really does have alot of potential...and finally we have some real deal carriers!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:02 am

The biggest positive for me is the bench, there are still a few inexperienced players in the team, Mako, Youngs, Launchbury, Billy, Dickson, Tomkins, Yarde etc even Twelvetrees and Wood are still pretty inexperienced, but we should be able to compete in every facet, and our bench will certainly step us up a gear come the 60 inute mark.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

It's a much better bench than the average Lancaster bench
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

Really like the look of this England team. I think the combination of 36 with Yarde and Ashton could be electric. Hopefully 36 finds his passing game early on to unlock the Oz defence. Heck of a bench for the England boys to bring on too, with Attwood and Morgan two real lumps to bring on to face a tired defence.

Can't wait for this match now!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:It's a much better bench than the average Lancaster bench
Would be nice to have Paice on the bench to bring on, but we can't have it all! Whistle 

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

The only change I would have made is Burns on the bench instead of Flood.

(Not a Flood fan, never have been or will be)
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

sirtidychris wrote:i think that backline has a good attacking threat but its in the back three rather than before where it was bascially just give it to Manu. Ashton is in great form , he will be popping up all over the place and with tompkins you have a big lad, great defence, great offload and good distribution, i will expect to see ashton running lines off him all day. With dickson and Twelvetrees we have two very good passers, twelvetrees will be making sure Yarde and Brown will be seeing alot of the ball and dickson will be geting the ball away very quickly, rather than just staring at it for a while which both Youngs and Care frustratingly do from time to time. We have a very Physical 10,12,13 combo all with great defence and all looking to get it wide..the back three will be chomping at the bit as supposed to buying gloves when barritt and tuilagi play.  
laughing 

I think that this is going to be a very close encounter but I feel a lot more optimistic reading this post! It will be interesting to see how the less established players perform. I'm hopeful that twelvetrees will continue to impress and that Dickson will grasp this opportunity to shine. There is lots of pressure on both teams and I really hope that England step up and get this season off to a good start.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

I have to say I don't feel that optimistic, maybe its just the grey weather today or the my lack of sleep due to my baby but I don't see this game being a good one.

If the Telegraph is right, which they seem to be most of the time re. squad selection then I feel there will be a lot of pressure on Tomkins and the wings to come in looking for work and to make things happen. I think Dickinson is a very good scrum half (best EQ passer?) but I feel we will be relying on Ashton off Farrell's shoulder past Quade as I'm not convinced by what I've seen from our 12 or 13 this season.

It will be an interesting battle up front, Mowen is a quality player I think, it will be interesting to see how he handles the additional pressure of being captain. Lawes has been in great form but I hope having 2 athletic locks won't hamper England on what is apparently going to be a wet day. Personally I would have gone for Attwood, look to dominate upfront, get Farrell to kick the goals and then maybe open it up a bit later on.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:10 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:England Team: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Chris Ashton (Saracens), Joel Tomkins Saracens), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester), Marland Yarde London Irish), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Lee Dickson (Northampton), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Tom Youngs (Leicester), Dan Cole (Leicester), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton), Tom Wood (Northampton), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, c), Billy Vunipola (Saracens).
Replacements: Dylan Hartley (Northampton), Joe Marler Harlequins), David Wilson (Bath), Dave Attwood Bath), Ben Morgan Gloucester), Ben Youngs (Leicester), Toby Flood (Leicester), Ben Foden (Northampton).

It's a good team
Good side, even taking into account the injuries England have suffered. It's a fantastic bench as well.

England by 10.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:25 am

I think that's about as strong a 23 as we could have put out and am pretty happy with it. Might have had a couple of minor changes myself with Foden for Brown and maybe Burrell for 36 on recent form but can't say that both Brown and 36 haven't earned their right to a start.

Bench looks very strong. With the exception of Flood and maybe Cole I don't think many eyebrows would have been raised if they were starters, which is great for competition for places.

I wish we had a 'Fiji' type match first up to have a run out as it's asking a lot to hit the ground running against a battle hardened Aussie team. Think we have 7 or 8 changes from the side that faced Wales (Maybe not a bad thing!) so it's going to take a lot for everything to work first time out.

I want to see some big performances from the likes of Billy Vunipola and Lawes who just seem to have so much potential. I'm also interested to see how Tomkins goes. I have a feeling he is going to go really well but can't say I have a reason to back that up. Just a gut feel!

Without any real standout 'stars' in the team it's going to take a full team performance to deliver. Let’s hope the coaches have them ready!

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:28 am

Im going for an England win . even tho Australia gradually playing better and tend to be up for the  AI,   i feel England on home soil will pip them early on and will have most procession . England score three tries to one

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

Mostly happy with the team, there are a couple of calls which could be debated (When isn't there?). Agree about the bench, it contains player that could potentially change a game rather than patch up a hole.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:46 am

Think it's pretty much the best team we could put out under the circumstances - Corbs and Manu are obviously big losses, and a close call between the scrum halfs.

My one concern is echoing Beshocked - a bit of a lack of X Factor in the midfield backs. We'll be relying on the back 3 to provide the magic as there is little likelihood of either half or centre making a devastating break. To be fair though, Yarde has been outstanding for LI, Ashton has rediscovered some form and Brown is the outstanding all round FB.

Bench is largely good, but we have a bit of an issue if Tomkins gets injured or doesn't fire - I guess Flood to 12 and 12trees to 13, but neither of them are specialists in those positions.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:47 am

For shure we'll be foine.
Believe!

©️Gibson

We won't let a few injuries ruin a golden generation.

Interchangeable parts in all positions.
What's not to like?

Well done the clubs and the academies. clap clap clap 

Cmon Ingerland! rose rose rose 

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:51 am

Alot of people seem to be talking about the Wales game basically rubbishing the players that played that day....yes we got played off the park but i would say that was more about wales playing like men possessed...a chance to beat england, and win the 6 nations....they played with such a crazy intensity...england weren't ready for it. If we put out the same team now it would be a much better performance, that team had the physicality (weight and muscle wise) but not the mental physicality... we got caught napping on the day..just like the all blacks when we beat them.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

Yeah you don't see the kiwis rubbishing McCaw, Carter, Smith, Read etc because they lost to us. But it's much easier for people to utilise hyperbole over reason
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:02 pm

My one concern is echoing Beshocked - a bit of a lack of X Factor in the midfield backs. We'll be relying on the back 3 to provide the magic as there is little likelihood of either half or centre making a devastating break. To be fair though, Yarde has been outstanding for LI, Ashton has rediscovered some form and Brown is the outstanding all round FB.
Maybe the plan is to have the midfield acting as the pivot for the backs and back rows to run off rather than them being the runners themselves?

Although Farrell has shown that is slowly developing a running game (he's made a few decent breaks this season, 36 is not a poor runner, and Tomkins isnt poor either...

I think lets give these guys a chance...we all might be nicely surprised...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:04 pm

Maybe, for once, our backline can facilitate each other and be more than the sum of its parts?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:11 pm

GF

I'm not suggesting they are poor runners by any means, just that you wouldn't really class any of the four between 9 and 13 as being outstanding ball carriers in the way you would Manu or Youngs/Care.

To be fair though, you'd probably say much the same about the 2003 backline - of the inner backs only really Dawson was likely to make a decisive break, while Greenwood was a fine support player and skilled at getting half through thr defence and off-loading to the supporting runner. The magic mainly came from Robinson.

Oh, and to pick up on a point sirchris made a few comments back - certainly against Wales we were caught out by their intensity on the day, but we also lacked a bit both in ball carrying grunt (e.g. Wood at 8) and aggressive defence that day, which this pack has addressed - Lawes is a much more aggressive defender than Parling, while the Vunipola brothers give a lot more dynamism ball in hand.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:11 pm

I don't know about the lack of X-Factor in the midfield either, Billy Twelvetrees is probably one of the most creative/ expansive (passing wise) inside centres we've had since Will Greenwood. Put it this way, I'd much rather have him than Mike Tindall or Shontayne Hape!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:13 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I don't know about the lack of X-Factor in the midfield either,  Billy Twelvetrees is probably one of the most creative/ expansive (passing wise)  inside centres we've had since Will Greenwood. Put it this way, I'd much rather have him than Mike Tindall or Shontayne Hape!
Faint praise, there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Maybe, for once, our backline can facilitate each other and be more than the sum of its parts?
What a concept

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

True, but the last time we pumped skippy in 2010 the back line was:

09. Ben Youngs
10. Toby Flood
11. Mark Cueto
12. Shontayne Hape
13. Mike Tindall
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden

Is our current backline much worse?  Are the Aussies that much better?  I'd like to see a bit optimism. Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Would be nice to have Paice on the bench to bring on, but we can't have it all! Whistle 
With Youngs and Foden we have plenty of Paice on the bench
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
With Youngs and Foden we have plenty of Paice on the bench
drumroll 
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Is "we will see where England are at" and "a good test for developing England" just cop outs in games that England, as third ranked team in the world should by right, be instead, confident of winning?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

Cumbrian wrote:True, but the last time we pumped skippy in 2010 the back line was:

09. Ben Youngs
10. Toby Flood
11. Mark Cueto
12. Shontayne Hape
13. Mike Tindall
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden

Is our current backline much worse?  Are the Aussies that much better?  I'd like to see a bit optimism. Very Happy
I'd say our backline is better, that's an awful centre partnership

Last edited by ChequeredJersey on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:27 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Is "we will see where England are at" and "a good test for developing England" just cop outs in games that England, as third ranked team in the world should by right, be instead, confident of winning?

I'm confident of winning
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm

I can't remember the last time the team management and pundits called that tune...

To me it's bet hedging on failure. To be followed by "we will learn our lessons"

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:35 pm

I'm not suggesting they are poor runners by any means, just that you wouldn't really class any of the four between 9 and 13 as being outstanding ball carriers in the way you would Manu or Youngs/Care.
But how much of Manu have we seen? And certainly Youngs / Care for me are two of the most inconsistant players in the British game. One minute they're outstanding the next they are utterly attrocious.

Maybe a more steady consistant midfield with the razamataz on the flanks is the way forward...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:48 pm

How many caps in that back line?

I like 12trees but the rest look raw for such a test. Injuries sure have hit them.

I think playing cooper at vice captain is a shrewd move by ewen Mac. Cooper looks to have stepped up well and looks to be playing with more confidence and less swagger. He is certainly the one to contain this weekend. He was excellent last run in Dunedin. Watch for his trademark wide flat pass...the best in the business.

The England bench seems to look stronger than the run on side and good to see Foden back in the mix.

Given the lightweight English back line and the recent form of oz gotta go with oz but still a close one. Its Oz's match to lose.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:True, but the last time we pumped skippy in 2010 the back line was:

09. Ben Youngs
10. Toby Flood
11. Mark Cueto
12. Shontayne Hape
13. Mike Tindall
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden

But not as bad as Tindall and Noon...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:00 pm

dummy_half wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

09. Ben Youngs
10. Toby Flood
11. Mark Cueto
12. Shontayne Hape
13. Mike Tindall
14. Chris Ashton
15. Ben Foden

But not as bad as Tindall and Noon...
Are you saying Hape was better than Noon?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:10 pm

Either way, all that needs to be said is that England have been playing without 'X-Factor' in the centres for years and having 36 in there might actually allow the wide players into the game more.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:12 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Are you saying Hape was better than Noon?
I would say so. Hape for a few games in 2010-2011 actually looked very good.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyldthing Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

dummy_half wrote:Think it's pretty much the best team we could put out under the circumstances - Corbs and Manu are obviously big losses, and a close call between the scrum halfs.

Bench is largely good, but we have a bit of an issue if Tomkins gets injured or doesn't fire - I guess Flood to 12 and 12trees to 13, but neither of them are specialists in those positions.
Does Flood ever play 12 at Tigers? Farrell's had a fair amount of game time there at Sarries I think so that might be better...

Wyldthing

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

he England bench seems to look stronger than the run on side and good to see Foden back in the mix.

Given the lightweight English back line and the recent form of oz gotta go with oz but still a close one. Its Oz's match to lose
Not sure i agee that the bench is stronger than the run on team? Who is better i your eyes?

Also lightweight backline? Im not seeing that one...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Given the lightweight English back line and the recent form of oz gotta go with oz but still a close one. Its Oz's match to lose.
Twelvetrees and Tomkins and both big guys, and Farrell and Yarde punch well above their weight. I'm not worried size-wize in the backs - just that we may be one running threat short, especially with Dickson over Youngs.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next