The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland V Australia

+66
TJ
majesticimperialman
geoff999rugby
aucklandlaurie
MarcusHalberstram
MrsP
theslosty
Norfolklass
madmaccas
Hubert Davenport
Taylorman
kiakahaaotearoa
Hookisms and Hyperbole
mystiroakey
GloriousEmpire
IanBru
Cari
KiaRose
Nachos Jones
Golden
Pal Joey
Engine#4
Feckless Rogue
LeinsterFan4life
westisbest
marty2086
the-goon
BlueMuff
UlstermaninGlasgow
funnyExiledScot
Artful_Dodger
PredictorofTeams
asoreleftshoulder
Don Alfonso
geoff998rugby
Submachine
Pete330v2
pete (buachaill on eirne)
JmD
The Great Aukster
clivemcl
san
SecretFly
rapidsnowman
Mickado
toml
thebandwagonsociety
Sin é
Cyril
The Saint
Intotouch
whocares
Standulstermen
gleesonisgod
littlejohn
rodders
greygoose
Gibson
ME-109
GunsGerms
profitius
Notch
doctor_grey
wolfball
Rory_Gallagher
Jenifer McLadyboy
70 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Ireland V Australia - Page 5 Empty Ireland V Australia

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 11 Nov 2013, 3:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

ME-109 wrote:All water under the bridge now....Aus up next which will be interesting...someone start a thread
How hard was that..........

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Ireland V Australia - Page 5 Empty Re: Ireland V Australia

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:50 pm

Remember Murray made his mark in the Lions tests by coming off the bench and imposing himself on the game against tiring defences... He's a good player and has proven so but rotation is good and it means we actually discover something about our player base rather than flogging the same boys to death week in week out...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Sin é......step away from the Munster shirt Smile
Thats a bit unreasonable, a bit like asking water not to be wet.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:54 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Submachine wrote:quote]He's got, stand, couch or pub time v Australia.
OK missed that. In all fairness though I think positive rotation is good.
The flaw in it though is that Murray will not have played with Sexton so far this season. A bit short-sighted I would think looking to next week because Reddan should not be let anywhere near the ABs and the Six Nations. Its not as if Murray has played about 50 games with Sexton like Reddan has.

Murray will almost certainly come on around the 50-60 min mark,this isn't Kidney any more.We now have a coach who will use his subs and rotate his players when he can to ensure they are as fresh as possible.Murray will get to play 20-30 mins against a tired Oz instead of starting 3 matches in a row and dealing with fresh backrowers all the time.He'll be back next week as we need his physicality against NZ but I'd say JS is confident our pack can protect Reddan enough against Oz that he can do his stuff.
If he is rotatating, Madigan will be coming on for Sexton around the same time Smile 

Sexton will not get to play with Murray before facing the ABs. A big unfair on Murray who had Jackson last week, Madigan this week and face the ABs next week with another half-back partner in that scenario.
Murray - Reddan < Sexton - Madigan

QED

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:59 pm

I can hear a new chant developing around Lansdowne:

Rota-tion! Rota-tion! Rota-tion!

Ireland's new favourite word.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Remember Murray made his mark in the Lions tests by coming off the bench and imposing himself on the game against tiring defences... He's a good player and has proven so but rotation is good and it means we actually discover something about our player base rather than flogging the same boys to death week in week out...
He also made his mark by making Hogg look like an outhalf on the Lions.

I thought his pass was what made him look good and don't forget Reddan looked good last week when he came on. The Samoans were too tired to take advantage of a couple of his trade mark dodgy throws.

As an aside, Reddan & Murray's family live about a mile away from each other in Limerick.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Submachine wrote:quote]He's got, stand, couch or pub time v Australia.
OK missed that. In all fairness though I think positive rotation is good.
The flaw in it though is that Murray will not have played with Sexton so far this season. A bit short-sighted I would think looking to next week because Reddan should not be let anywhere near the ABs and the Six Nations. Its not as if Murray has played about 50 games with Sexton like Reddan has.

Murray will almost certainly come on around the 50-60 min mark,this isn't Kidney any more.We now have a coach who will use his subs and rotate his players when he can to ensure they are as fresh as possible.Murray will get to play 20-30 mins against a tired Oz instead of starting 3 matches in a row and dealing with fresh backrowers all the time.He'll be back next week as we need his physicality against NZ but I'd say JS is confident our pack can protect Reddan enough against Oz that he can do his stuff.
If he is rotatating, Madigan will be coming on for Sexton around the same time Smile 

Sexton will not get to play with Murray before facing the ABs. A big unfair on Murray who had Jackson last week, Madigan this week and face the ABs next week with another half-back partner in that scenario.
Madigan could come on for Sexton,Marshall,BoD or Kearney.It's impossible to say as yet just how much game time Murray and Sexton get together but imo I don't think it'll matter they are both good players and have played together for Ireland and the Lions enough now that a few more minutes won't make much difference to their understanding.

Schmidt is creating a squad where anyone can slot in and play the role he wants them too so we aren't so dependent on 1 player in certain positions.The last couple of 6N's where Ross and then Sexton got injured showed the folly of that kind of squad management (in fairness Kidney could do nothing about the Ross situation,a lack of talent in the country and only one sub prop allowed on the bench handicapped him badly).

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:19 pm

Yep, Schmidt is creating a squad of rotating Leinster players with the token Ulster & Munster players who take turns to rotate.

How come McCarthy wasn't rotated with Tuohy for instance, or Madigan with Trimble?

edit: he isn't creating anything. Just going back to the players he knows best.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:22 pm

Sin é wrote:Yep, Schmidt is creating a squad of rotating Leinster players with the token Ulster & Munster players who take turns to rotate.

How come McCarthy wasn't rotated with Tuohy for instance, or Madigan with Trimble?

Sin é you can pick holes in the policy and selection all day if you want. There is no perfect formula. However, it is a big improvement on how it was and hopefully this will be reflected in a favourable score on Saturday.

Trimble and Tuohy do deserve to be included as much as anyone but someone has to lose out in every selection.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Good team again! Joe is using the AIs perfectly to rotate players and test guys he doesn't know.

Marshall is sandwiched between Sexton and Dr Brian so Joe will get a rapid picture of how he might fit in.

I'd imagine Henshaw will replace BOD this week, so Madigan will be on the bench as 15 cover before his late cameo at 10. Thus Joe will not over use BOD and also get to compare Madigan and Henshaw at 13 over the two weeks. Similarly he can compare and contrast Fitzpatrick and Archer against the Ross standard.
On the money as usual aukster!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:26 pm

Sin é wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Remember Murray made his mark in the Lions tests by coming off the bench and imposing himself on the game against tiring defences... He's a good player and has proven so but rotation is good and it means we actually discover something about our player base rather than flogging the same boys to death week in week out...
He also made his mark by making Hogg look like an outhalf on the Lions.

I thought his pass was what made him look good and don't forget Reddan looked good last week when he came on. The Samoans were too tired to take advantage of a couple of his trade mark dodgy throws.

As an aside, Reddan & Murray's family live about a mile away from each other in Limerick.

Well that proves we're not making it a red on blue issue, Sin Wink  How's about you?

Seriously though again.  For me personally, Reddan looks now like a guy who puffs out quickly in a high tempo game.  You often see him dragging for breath during breaks in play.  It often looks so pained that you really are made aware that his fitness levels (or rather stamina levels) seem now a difficult thing for him to sustain in a high tempo game, which is ironically when he's at his best.
So yes, I can see that Reddan has his shortcomings that will certainly be tested by Australia.  But Murray also needs to realise when Provincial habits won't work, and how to really push much harder at International, in quickening up his game in all areas and not getting caught out organising his troops and looking around him as opposition players come through the middle and threaten to steal our ball.
Both players will work but Reddan will never be as physical as Murray.  Murray though could clock up his more laid back levels to match Reddan's.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:26 pm

From a Connacht perspective, great to see Henshaw getting a spot on the bench.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:32 pm

Sin é wrote:Yep, Schmidt is creating a squad of rotating Leinster players with the token Ulster & Munster players who take turns to rotate.

I don't know about the 1st one and I agree it's a change I'd like to have seen too,that and Marmion now getting a call up are my two main criticisms of the AI's.

On the 2nd one it's for the rather obvious and compelling reason that they play in completely different positions,if Trimble was on the bench this week covering flyhalf I doubt you'd be commending Schmidt for his intelligent use of rotation.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Sin é you can pick holes in the policy and selection all day if you want. There is no perfect formula. However, it is a big improvement on how it was and hopefully this will be reflected in a favourable score on Saturday.

Trimble and Tuohy do deserve to be included as much as anyone but someone has to lose out in every selection.
How is it a big improvement by just picking the players he knows?

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:45 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

He is picking more and rotating more players. He also tends to select players based on tactics and how he wants to counter the opposition rather than based on politics or pre agreed man management stlye substitutions.

If he just picked players he knows then Darcy would start not Marshall, Cronin not Best, Fitzgerald/Kearney not Bowe and McLaughlin/Jennings not POM etc. He is picking who he thinks the best player is for each match. Thats something Kidney didnt do IMO.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:45 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

............Teaching the players he doesn't know what he expects?  Better to have a set of players you know helping the other players fit into the system rather than the other way round?  Yes?

Besides, Leinster players ain't all bad Wink Why the sudden urge to drop decent Leinster players simply because a past Leinster coach is coaching Ireland?  To be seen to be not showing favouritsim?  Is that how games are won these days - by coaches picking players that won't offend the sensibilities of fans.

There'll be plenty of Munster and Ulster players in Schmidt's Ireland, of that I have no doubt - but give him time to plan all that his way.  This is his second game coming up.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

Sin, serious questions here. Are you supporting Ireland this weekend? Or do you need a certain Munster quota to be fufilled in order to do so?

And what do all the munster fans have against redden? Sure, he isn't a world beater but he is a good player. He plays with real tempo and has proven it by being an important cog in how JS got Leinster playing. Murray will no doubt get 30 min, and I look forward to him giving the aussie forwards the run around.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:56 pm

the-goon wrote:Sin, serious questions here. Are you supporting Ireland this weekend? Or do you need a certain Munster quota to be fufilled in order to do so?

And what do all the munster fans have against redden? Sure, he isn't a world beater but he is a good player. He plays with real tempo and has proven it by being an important cog in how JS got Leinster playing. Murray will no doubt get 30 min, and I look forward to him giving the aussie forwards the run around.
Reddan is unpopular in Munster because he lives in Ballsbridge and plays for Leinster and has been very sucessful in doing so. It appeals to the innate bitterness that forms a massive part of the collective Munster psyche to dislike anyone from Munster that plays for Leinster particularly if they do well. For that same reason Liam Toland isnt rated as a pundit, Reddan as a scrum half and to a lesser extent Sean Cronin and Mike Ross as rugby players in their respective positions.

It is only by the grace of God that someone gets to be from Munster so to turn your back on that is obvious grounds for being ostracized.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:01 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
the-goon wrote:Sin, serious questions here. Are you supporting Ireland this weekend? Or do you need a certain Munster quota to be fufilled in order to do so?

Reddan is unpopular in Munster because he lives in Ballsbridge and plays for Leinster and has been very sucessful in doing so. It appeals to the innate bitterness that forms a massive part of the collective Munster psyche to dislike anyone from Munster that plays for Leinster. For that same reason Liam Toland isnt rated as a pundit, Reddan as a scrum half and to a lesser extent Sean Cronin and Mike Ross as rugby players in their respective positions.
Incorrect....Mike Ross and Sean Cronin are well respected. Redden is not disliked at all...he just isn't rated that highly. Brining Toland into it is like having a discussion on George Hook or something (pointless). The armchair psychology is a very poor attempt at a wind up. I am sure Sin É like all Munster folk will be fully supporting Ireland at the weekend. Silly question.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm

ME-109 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Reddan is unpopular in Munster because he lives in Ballsbridge and plays for Leinster and has been very sucessful in doing so. It appeals to the innate bitterness that forms a massive part of the collective Munster psyche to dislike anyone from Munster that plays for Leinster. For that same reason Liam Toland isnt rated as a pundit, Reddan as a scrum half and to a lesser extent Sean Cronin and Mike Ross as rugby players in their respective positions.
Incorrect....Mike Ross and Sean Cronin are well respected. Redden is not disliked at all...he just isn't rated that highly. Brining Toland into it is like having a discussion on George Hook or something (pointless). The armchair psychology is a very poor attempt at a wind up. I am sure Sin É like all Munster folk will be fully supporting Ireland at the weekend. Silly question.
So no bitterness? That debunks that myth then.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:09 pm

ME-109 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Why isn't he rated? He has played very for Leinster over the years. He hasn't had many chances for Ireland as Kidney never picked very often, even when he was a key player for (at the time) the best club side in Europe.

He played well in those 3 HC finals, played well vs England in 2011 (one of his few starts) and most importantly played well off the bench last week.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:13 pm

the-goon wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Why isn't he rated? He has played very for Leinster over the years. He hasn't had many chances for Ireland as Kidney never picked very often, even when he was a key player for (at the time) the best club side in Europe.

He played well in those 3 HC finals, played well vs England in 2011 (one of his few starts) and most importantly played well off the bench last week.
You don't need to put forward his CV but Stringer/TOL and Murray were/are all better players than him. That's just how it is. He is ineffective internationally.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:22 pm

Stringer is the only one of the above that can claim to be better than him. Reddan was very effective v Samoa. All Irelands tries were scored with him on the field. Some directly resulting from his spped of pass. You can choose to ignore that if you wish but makes your opinion less credible.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm

What about O'Mahonys try?

(I guess it's pedantic to bring that up as it had nothing to do with the scrum-half at all. But still!)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

Notch wrote:What about O'Mahonys try?

(I guess it's pedantic to bring that up as it had nothing to do with the scrum-half at all. But still!)
I didnt say all tries came from Reddan's pass, just "some".

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:28 pm

Honestly, slightly prefer Murray as a player but Reddan combines well with Sexton and is a safe pair of hands- or at least, by the standards of Irish scrum halves he is.

Not particularly bothered which one starts, want to see both rotate a fair bit depending on the opponents or tactics.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Stringer is the only one of the above that can claim to be better than him. Reddan was very effective v Samoa. All Irelands tries were scored with him on the field. Some directly resulting from his spped of pass. You can choose to ignore that if you wish but makes your opinion less credible.
That was the point I was correcting Guns. We scored in the first half.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:34 pm

Murray's service is a lot slower than Reddans. Murray was a revelation playing Gatland ball in the summer, drifting like Phillips and hitting the inside centre off first phase, but he's not the snappy type of scrum half Schmidt likes.

I can see them being rotated a lot with Murray playing Boss' role for Ireland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

Didn't Murray feed O'Brien for his try?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Stringer is the only one of the above that can claim to be better than him. Reddan was very effective v Samoa. All Irelands tries were scored with him on the field. Some directly resulting from his spped of pass. You can choose to ignore that if you wish but makes your opinion less credible.
That was the point I was correcting Guns. We scored in the first half.
Ah ok. Just exaggerating to "prove" my point.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

Submachine wrote:Didn't Murray feed O'Brien for his try?
Shushhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

Boss....!...now there's a lad that might still have a part in the swing of things come February.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:42 pm

He Can play rugby.......... Wink I don't think anyone is suggesting he'd be better off with a tennis racket.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

Not at all...that was Redden wearing a Conor Murray Halloween mask. Ah well Redden got the time when Samoa were falling apart. Lets just hope that the cavalry are coming on to close out the game rather than save it next weekend.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:54 pm

WOW, can't believe the controversy which has been cause by the selection of Reddan.
If Joey selected Redser it's for a reason, of which you or I could never dream of comprehending!

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm

Is exaggerating to prove your point the same as 'saying things that are just wrong'? Wink 

100% of the tries Ireland scored after Murray left the pitch were scored when Reddan was on the pitch!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:56 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:WOW, can't believe the controversy which has been cause by the selection of Reddan.
If Joey selected Redser it's for a reason, of which you or I could never dream of comprehending!
+1 can't believe anyone would question Joe notworthy 

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Not at all...that was Redden wearing a Conor Murray Halloween mask. Ah well Redden got the time when Samoa were falling apart. Lets just hope that the cavalry are coming on to close out the game rather than save it next weekend.
Dressing up as someone from Munster at Hallowe'en is just wrong. There's fun-scary and there is scary-scary and that's crossing the line!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:59 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:WOW, can't believe the controversy which has been cause by the selection of Reddan.
And you have no comprehension of just how quick witted this lot is to turn that last phrase of yours on its head. Wink

There'll be chancers soon enough telling you that's the very issue.... how to comprehend what Schmidt sees in Reddan.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

Notch wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Dressing up as someone from Munster at Hallowe'en is just wrong. There's fun-scary and there is scary-scary and that's crossing the line!
Seeing as they are both technically from Munster is that just cross dressing?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

Its great to see Schmidt rotate the squad. It keeps everyone on their toes and getting to play keeps players happy.

Reddan starting means Ireland will be gunning for Australia and not satisified to just play it tight. It should be a good game.

Happy with the bench too. It'll be a test for Archer and Henshaw but thats what these matches are for.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

Well we all know who Paulie will be dressing up as..... all he needs is the bolt.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

profitius wrote:Its great to see Schmidt rotate the squad. It keeps everyone on their toes and getting to play keeps players happy.

Reddan starting means Ireland will be gunning for Australia and not satisified to just play it tight. It should be a good game.

Happy with the bench too. It'll be a test for Archer and Henshaw but thats what these matches are for.
Yep...apart from anything else, the camp itself must be cooking on contained nerves and the heat of being dropped even though playing well.  A shock to the system for some but they'll know what it's about.... it's all designed to keep them sharp and gunning for each other's positions when they actually do get to play.

Now, if all that conspires to actually get us some good wins in the coming months then we'll all be happy.  If it mucks up any rhythms that might have been better developed by sticking to a top 'team', then, of course, Schmidt's head will be on a platter come Christmas next year - verbally anyway.

This is the pathway I've always wanted though - we tried the settled team act and all it did was lose us games and players to injury.  The fill-ins were rabbits caught in headlights.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

Murray will start against NZ. This team is not perfect, but within a rotation strategy looks good to me. I wonder will madigan continue to be seen as a bench option with with Jackson or Sexton starting? He offers such a different game, a James Hook type player, though I really want him to be an early career James Hook and not the more recent flakiness of Hook

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:01 pm

I'd be quite happy if there were no Munster players tbh, and I would be supporting them all the way.

Just its fun getting the blue tinged joe apologists worked up Very Happy 

I enjoy picking holes in Joe supposedly rotating policy, because, just like most coaches, he has his pets as well. Being serious thougth, I think Joe is up against it, just like Kidney was.

As for Redser - sure he is from Munster (like 2 others that play for Leinster in the starting lineup this weekend). The fact that Reddan still isn't in Munster should tell you something about how he is rated there.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:04 pm

wolfball wrote:Murray will start against NZ. This team is not perfect, but within a rotation strategy looks good to me. I wonder will madigan  continue to be seen as a bench option with with Jackson or Sexton starting? He offers such a different game, a James Hook type player, though I really want him to be an early career James Hook and not the more recent flakiness of Hook
I think its unfair on Murray to just throw him in with Sexton against the ABs without having played a game together. Its not as if Reddan would be unfamiliar with Sexton from about the 100 games they played together at Leinster.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by san Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

So Marshall gets his audition for the All Blacks!

I would say he will have to play significantly better than Darcy to get the 12 shirt next week.

The only other positions up for grabs would be choice between Toner v McCarthy and Murray v Reddan.

san

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

He is picking more and rotating more players. He also tends to select players based on tactics and how he wants to counter the opposition rather than based on politics or pre agreed man management stlye substitutions.

If he just picked players he knows then Darcy would start not Marshall, Cronin not Best, Fitzgerald/Kearney not Bowe and McLaughlin/Jennings not POM etc. He is picking who he thinks the best player is for each match. Thats something Kidney didnt do IMO.
You have to admit though, there is a touch of the 'Gats selecting Lions' to this. Did you have a problem with him dropping Brian because he wanted to pair his two Welshmen?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:35 pm

san wrote:So Marshall gets his audition for the All Blacks!

I would say he will have to play significantly better than Darcy to get the 12 shirt next week.

The only other positions up for grabs would be choice between Toner v McCarthy and Murray v Reddan.
I think you're right. Darcy is likely to start against the ABs alongside BOD, but if Marshall can produce a great performance tomorrow then he just might get the nod.
Toner over McCarthy. Why is McCarthy there at all? Toner has improved, but has no dog about him. Just don't rate him highly.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:35 pm

Sin é wrote:
You have to admit though, there is a touch of the 'Gats selecting Lions' to this. Did you have a problem with him dropping Brian because he wanted to pair his two Welshmen?
Brian was Irish - snubbed by a Welsh coach in favour of his Welsh players to help along his long term WC plans.

Schmidt is choosing Irish players.  We hopefully benefit regardless of who they are - if he chooses them for the right reasons - and most especially, gives them the tactics and gameplans to make them effective.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 14 Nov 2013, 6:38 pm

Can't believe there's controversy over picking Reddan in his second match. He'll want to give everyone a chance. I think in time he'll see Murray as a better option for all Ireland's most serious games. But Schmidt rotated his 9's a lot at Leinster. The 6, 7 and 9 always changed depending on how he wanted to play.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next