The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

+61
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scottrf
funnyExiledScot
geoff998rugby
TJ
Rugby Fan
Rory_Gallagher
GavinDragon
Pal Joey
Jhamer25
Geordie
Heaf
VinceWLB
Engine#4
BlueMuff
Scoped
Pete330v2
George Carlin
mystiroakey
asoreleftshoulder
kingelderfield
Hood83
profitius
The Saint
BamBam
rodders
PenfroPete
munkian
stub
Artful_Dodger
HammerofThunor
No 7&1/2
GoodinTightSpaces
Biltong
Chunky Norwich
Portnoy's Complaint
Exiledinborders
Welly
No9
Sin é
Nachos Jones
lostinwales
LondonTiger
GunsGerms
Jimpy
yappysnap
Pot Hale
beshocked
GLove39
Notch
LeinsterFan4life
majesticimperialman
fa0019
doctor_grey
Cyril
nathan
quinsforever
ME-109
brennomac
whocares
Scrumpy
65 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Saracens vs Toulon - Who will win?

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Vote_lcap53%HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Vote_rcap 53% 
[ 16 ]
HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Vote_lcap47%HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 30

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Empty HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

Post by Scrumpy Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Should be a cracker (England vs France) with two of the best teams in the NH playing each other in a celebration of rugby, can't wait to get there and soak up the atmosphere before, during and after the game, roll on 24th May.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Empty Re: HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

Post by Pete330v2 Sat May 24, 2014 7:36 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:That was clearly forward whatever interpretation you use (1st pass to Smith)

Flat Hammer, flat Wink

Flippin hell Habana the socceresque drama queen  laughing 

It's not been the greatest final but it's been absorbing never the less.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 7 Empty Re: HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:That was quality there. That will be it for Saracens. Shame really as their demolition of ASM made me think they might go all the way.

Yeah a lot of people forgot they lost to Toulouse home and away and struggled past Ulster with 15 v 14 for almost the whole game.They're a decent side but no English team will win the European Cup until they change the salary cap to compete with the French.The problem is that if they do that then all the extra BT money that is supposed to be helping the smaller clubs break even will just be squandered on wages as it becomes an arms race to see who can spend biggest to get the best players in.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat May 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Habana does deserve an Oscar but similarly Farrell has got to lose these silly petulant moments, though. You always get the feeling they're going to cost England dear one day. He always does well for a long time and then relapses when he's frustrated.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat May 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Mathieu Bastareaud comedy drop goal attempt Smile 

E for effort Mathieu! E for effort...

Last edited by Notch on Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 pm

No9 wrote:A penalty was the correct call for the offence, however, I would have reversed the decision for the blatant dive. Habana should be ashamed of himself.

Not a Saries fan and defiantly not a Farrell fan, but I hate seeing bad sportsmanship like diving.... Bad show Habana...

I agree with that. Cheating needs to be removed from the game. No matter how dumb Farrell was there, there is no excuse for that type of reaction from Habana.

It was good of Rolland to tell him not to play act but I feel examples have to be made to cut that sort of thing out.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat May 24, 2014 7:42 pm

I disagree asore, there are still some quality English teams there. Leicester have a great team but just need to stay injury free and Northampton will always be there or there abouts.

This is just a golden period for Toulon just like Leinster and Munster and other teams have had. The answer is not simply well "we need to buy more players".

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 pm

It's on the day. Sarries could have won this. But on the day Toulon have done the business

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Habana really has gone way downhill, both as a player and as a person since joining Toulon.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Sat May 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Another awful display from Rolland. Terrible ref. He will not be missed.

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat May 24, 2014 7:47 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Habana really has gone way downhill, both as a player and as a person since joining Toulon.

Bit harsh. He had a very bad injury and hasn't played much rugby. And as a person, it was a bad dive but lets not blow it out of proportion hey...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sat May 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Poor final sarries really disappointing! Munster the only team to put it up to Toulon

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat May 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Its not the first time Notch. Didn't he also get a red recently?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat May 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Don't know tbh, haven't really been following the Top14

BlueMuff- Cardiff Blues would disagree!  Wink 

Last edited by Notch on Sat May 24, 2014 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat May 24, 2014 7:52 pm

I said before the game that I thought that Hodgson was a better option to start this match. Wigglesworth and Farrell don't work together. Sarries needed a more dynamic 10 than Farrell for this match against Toulon.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sat May 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Would have loved to see how they fared on a knockout visit to Thomond or Welford road but Toulon have been a class apart this season (Cardiff result apart), moreso even than last season.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

That's JW to a tee. Straight to shake hands with the Sarries players before celebrating with his team. Quality player, person and his sportsmanship will be sorely missed.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat May 24, 2014 7:57 pm

What a sore loser Vunipola, not shaking hands with the opposition, go hide yourself.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat May 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:That's JW to a tee. Straight to shake hands with the Sarries players before celebrating with his team. Quality player, person and his sportsmanship will be sorely missed.

I'll not miss the Sky commentary teams deification of him! But that doesn't change the fact he is everything a rugby player should be- not just in terms of his ability, but the character and class he has. Thats what sets him apart, not the player he is but the person he is.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Very little you can do against a side like Toulon so thoroughly shot through with both quality and experience. To have a third of your team having already won a World Cup is incredible, really. I agree that Charlie might have been a better choice at 10. When it became obvious that Sarries weren't going to break through via midfield phase play, I think Hodgson's tactical kicking game might have served his side better.

Difficult to argue with the eventual winners though - regardless of the reservations a lot of us have about how that team came together.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 pm

VinceWLB wrote:What a sore loser Vunipola, not shaking hands with the opposition, go hide yourself.

How do you know he hasn't now? He will probably be out again to shake hands.

Thought Rolland was pretty poor ref today (for both teams) at the breakdown. Am i right in saying he's retiring?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:01 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I disagree asore, there are still some quality English teams there. Leicester have a great team but just need to stay injury free and Northampton will always be there or there abouts.

This is just a golden period for Toulon just like Leinster and Munster and other teams have had. The answer is not simply well "we need to buy more players".

No English team could top their group,now the new competition has it built in that one English team will always be a top seed (funny how that worked out) but I won't be surprised to see the same trend of Irish and French teams dominating the groups.The answer for the English teams is "we need to buy better players" the salary cap means that you can either buy a lot of decent players or a few really good players.

Saracens only got this far because Payne went for the ball and didn't see Goode jumping for it.He then got unlucky than Goode fell on his neck instead of his back,he then got more unlucky that the ref changed how the game of rugby is played by sending him off for doing what he has been trained to do since he first picked up a ball (keep your eyes on the ball).They have a decent distance to travel before they'll win the cup imo.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:04 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Poor final sarries really disappointing! Munster the only team to put it up to Toulon

Notch beat me to the punch.

Last edited by asoreleftshoulder on Sat May 24, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat May 24, 2014 8:05 pm

nathan wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:What a sore loser Vunipola, not shaking hands with the opposition, go hide yourself.

Thought Rolland was pretty poor ref today (for both teams) at the breakdown. Am i right in saying he's retiring?

Maybe but that was classless from him.

Rolland wasn't convincing indeed but at least he didn't favour one team over the other, i believe that was his last game.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat May 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:That was clearly forward whatever interpretation you use (1st pass to Smith)

Flat Hammer, flat Wink

Flippin hell Habana the socceresque drama queen  laughing 

It's not been the greatest final but it's been absorbing never the less.

I thought it was forward too … and I'd also have reversed the penalty for Habana's display …

Also can someone clarify if the law on mauls have changed please? I thought if the defending team doesn't engage and then the attacking team gets players in front of the ball carrier it's obstruction i.e. the Toulon line-out just before Jonny's drop goal?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 8:08 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:I disagree asore, there are still some quality English teams there. Leicester have a great team but just need to stay injury free and Northampton will always be there or there abouts.

No English team could top their group,now the new competition has it built in that one English team will always be a top seed (funny how that worked out) but I won't be surprised to see the same trend of Irish and French teams dominating the groups.The answer for the English teams is "we need to buy better players"  the salary cap means that you can either buy a lot of decent players or a few really good players.

Saracens only got this far because Payne went for the ball and didn't see Goode jumping for it.He then got unlucky than Goode fell on his neck instead of his back,he then got more unlucky that the ref changed how the game of rugby is played by sending him off for doing what he has been trained to do since he first picked up a ball (keep your eyes on the ball).They have a decent distance to travel before they'll win the cup imo.
 Rolling Eyes Not again, please?

Saracens played pretty poorly today after a great performance against Clermont. Toulon were good today and went a long way to stopping Sarries getting any momentum.

Why do some 'fans' constantly feel the need to have a pop and rake up old arguments?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Ok I see some Irish fans want to claim a moral victory.. Jesus feick. Get over it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
nathan wrote:

Rolland wasn't convincing indeed but at least he didn't favour one team over the other, i believe that was his last game.

He's just lost a final, he's young. You have to cut him a bit of slack.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Cyril wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

No English team could top their group,now the new competition has it built in that one English team will always be a top seed (funny how that worked out) but I won't be surprised to see the same trend of Irish and French teams dominating the groups.The answer for the English teams is "we need to buy better players"  the salary cap means that you can either buy a lot of decent players or a few really good players.

Saracens played pretty poorly today after a great performance against Clermont. Toulon were good today and went a long way to stopping Sarries getting any momentum.

Why do some 'fans' constantly feel the need to have a pop and rake up old arguments?

The usual reason, No Irish teams in the final, probably hard for them to take after their recent success.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Cyril wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

It's my opinion,deal with it.I think Saracens were lucky to get this far and 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't get past Ulster in Ravenhill.They were out of their depth today and it showed.You can disagree with my interpretation of the refs decision but I don't think you can argue it was a freak incident and it handed Saracens a match they were most likely incapable of winning 15 v 15.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat May 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Get it a break mate.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat May 24, 2014 8:15 pm

nathan wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:
nathan wrote:

He's just lost a final, he's young. You have to cut him a bit of slack.

Thought it was a bit odd at first but agree, the guy played out of his skin and must have been absolutely gutted. Certainly cut him some slack for that.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 8:16 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Ok I see some Irish fans want to claim a moral victory.. Jesus feick. Get over it.
We can only hope Irish rugby can save the world from its current moral malaise.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:16 pm

nathan wrote:

The usual reason, No Irish teams in the final, probably hard for them to take after their recent success.

That's an easy one liner to roll out but it has no depth to it and doesn't really address any of the points I made.Try actually making a reasonable point as you aren't clairvoyant.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 24, 2014 8:17 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Cyril wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

It's my opinion,deal with it.I think Saracens were lucky to get this far and 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't get past Ulster in Ravenhill.They were out of their depth today and it showed.You can disagree with my interpretation of the refs decision but I don't think you can argue it was a freak incident and it handed Saracens a match they were most likely incapable of winning 15 v 15.

You really should change your name to asoreloser.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 8:20 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Cyril wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

I can deal with your opinion. It's just tedious and shows you need to move on. Your players and province will have stopped bleating by now I would imagine.

There are several threads where you can go to continue to bemoan 'The World Against Ulster' and 'Why We Coulda/Shoulda Won'.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat May 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Will this raise the Steffon for.England argument again (if it went away)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat May 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Steffan bossed the game. We need to pick him. What a waste

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:26 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Ok I see some Irish fans want to claim a moral victory.. Jesus feick. Get over it.

Some Irish fans?I think you're referring to me,one poster not a group of them,don't tar all Irish fans with the one brush.Also what moral victory am I claiming.I support Leinster and I think that Toulon would have beaten either Ulster or Clermont in the final even if Ulster had won the QF.i just made a point that I don't think an English team can win the cup because of the salary cap restrictions and gave examples of why I feel Sarries were a bit out of their depth in the final.Of course you're ignoring that and jumping on the Payne incident because you can't let it go for some reason and need to debate the point to death yet again.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat May 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Well I think we all saw that coming. Saracens have been good in this championship but it was clear thy don't compare to Toulon.

Billy Vunipolo went right down in my estimations, bad sportsmanship there. He was completely outclassed by Armitage who is probably the best 7 going at the moment. England are letting a gem slip through their fingers there.
Lets just hope we've heard the last of Barnes. The man is infuriating
And Wwy no fairwell applause for Rolland at the Millennium

Well done Johnny, by far my favorite englishman Very Happy 
Lets just hope we've heard the last of Barnes. The man is infuriating
Why no applause for Rolland at the Millenium

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Another great display by Armitage.

Lancaster hasn't completely ruled him out but I don't know what else he can do to be considered. It doesn't help that his best position is the same as our captain's. Having said that he can cover 8 pretty well anyway so if Vunipola or Morgan got injured?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Cyril wrote:
I can deal with your opinion. It's just tedious and shows you need to move on. Your players and province will have stopped bleating by now I would imagine.

There are several threads where you can go to continue to bemoan 'The World Against Ulster' and 'Why We Coulda/Shoulda Won'.

I'm not an Ulster fan,why can't you just disagree with my interpretation of the Payne red card and move on.Address the other points in my post instead of just banging the same old drum.Sarries were out of their depth and no English team can win the European Cup under the current salary cap restrictions imo.If you want to keep debating the Payne red card their are already plenty of threads for that.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat May 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Don't tempt me Nathan!  Smile 

That was a bit of struggle to get up to watch... except for for Jonny's and Giteau's fine performances. A cut above the rest and so easy to watch... even for a neutral.

Will be interesting to see if Sarries can pick themselves up for Saints. Toulon v Castres should be another good Final as well.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Glad of the win for JW's sake. The guy is pure class.

Not the epic battle I had hoped for, but sometimes final's don't match expectations. Contrary to some here, I thought the ref had a decent game. He tried to let it flow I thought, which is unusual for him.

Habana made a clown of himself with the dramatics. I detest seeing this sort of behaviour in rugby.
I thought the pass for the second try was forward at first, but on second viewing I think it was flat. Not that it matters to the end result. Toulon would have beaten Sarries regardless. I'm not sure if Toulon actually got out of second gear. Sarries were poor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I'm not an Ulster fan,why can't you just disagree with my interpretation of the Payne red card and move on.Address the other points in my post instead of just banging the same old drum.Sarries were out of their depth and no English team can win the European Cup under the current salary cap restrictions imo.If you want to keep debating the Payne red card their are already plenty of threads for that.
Stop bringing it up then! Smile

Jeez, set up your own thread on whether English sides can win future Euro Cups rather than derailing this one.

I'm sorry there were no Irish sides in the final. I really am. Perhaps the tournament needs to be changed as something is clearly wrong.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat May 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Cyril wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Stop bringing it up then! Smile

Jeez, set up your own thread on whether English sides can win future Euro Cups rather than derailing this one.

I'm sorry there were no Irish sides in the final. I really am. Perhaps the tournament needs to be changed as something is clearly wrong.

I mentioned it once and you jumped on me,if you had just addressed the actual point of my post or ignored it then the thread wouldn't be derailed.I didn't engage you,I have no interest in conversing with you as you only seem interested in shouting me down but I won't stay quiet just because you tell me to.If you want this to stop then quit replying to me as you only seem interested in an argument.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Ok, let's leave it there chap, for the sake of the thread OK

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat May 24, 2014 8:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Will this raise the Steffon for.England argument again (if it went away)

Toulon lost only one ruck out of 76 and he's one of the reason behind it. Wasnt even playing at flanker. RFU should offer him a central contract and ship in to Quins or another AP club.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat May 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Actually we'd quite like him back at London Irish Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Wasn't overly impressed with Rolland, particularly at the scrums where I thought Stevens was boring in a lot. I also agree with whoever said about the hands away (or whatever), then it was play on after the turnover.

Good win Toulon. Some of the hits were brilliant to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat May 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Wasn't overly impressed with Rolland, particularly at the scrums where I thought Stevens was boring in a lot. I also agree with whoever said about the hands away (or whatever), then it was play on after the turnover.

Good win Toulon. Some of the hits were brilliant to watch.
Yeah, that happened a few times and must have been really frustrating for the defending side.

I thought Rolland had a bit of a mixed bag. Wasn't great at the breakdown (as above), the scrums improved after the first 20 minutes (and a few warnings). He dealt pretty well with the players (eg Habana incident) and generally the flow wasn't bad (but that may have been allowing some dodgy turnovers).

I still think refs (not just Rolland) are getting too reliant on TMOs for checking out incidents. Having said that when the first saw the Farrell 'high' tackle on Habana at full speed I thought 'yellow' so what do I know! Habana looked a bit shame-faced when that one was reviewed on the big screeen Very Happy 

Last edited by Cyril on Sat May 24, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next