The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

+61
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scottrf
funnyExiledScot
geoff998rugby
TJ
Rugby Fan
Rory_Gallagher
GavinDragon
Pal Joey
Jhamer25
Geordie
Heaf
VinceWLB
Engine#4
BlueMuff
Scoped
Pete330v2
George Carlin
mystiroakey
asoreleftshoulder
kingelderfield
Hood83
profitius
The Saint
BamBam
rodders
PenfroPete
munkian
stub
Artful_Dodger
HammerofThunor
No 7&1/2
GoodinTightSpaces
Biltong
Chunky Norwich
Portnoy's Complaint
Exiledinborders
Welly
No9
Sin é
Nachos Jones
lostinwales
LondonTiger
GunsGerms
Jimpy
yappysnap
Pot Hale
beshocked
GLove39
Notch
LeinsterFan4life
majesticimperialman
fa0019
doctor_grey
Cyril
nathan
quinsforever
ME-109
brennomac
whocares
Scrumpy
65 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Saracens vs Toulon - Who will win?

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Vote_lcap53%HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 53% 
[ 16 ]
HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Vote_lcap47%HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 30

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Empty HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

Post by Scrumpy Sun 27 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Should be a cracker (England vs France) with two of the best teams in the NH playing each other in a celebration of rugby, can't wait to get there and soak up the atmosphere before, during and after the game, roll on 24th May.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Empty Re: HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

Post by GunsGerms Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:43 am

Never has there been a final where I wanted both teams to lose so much. Sad times for Euro rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

HC final - Saracens vs Toulon -  Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell..... - Page 2 Empty Re: HC final - Saracens vs Toulon - Cardiff - Wilko vs Farrell.....

Post by LondonTiger Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:44 am

GunsGerms wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:If ever the final represented the death of Euro rugby I doubt two more apt teams could be chosen. No interest in this game whatsoever.

RIP Heineken cup.

So what match would you have been interested in?

A repeat of last year's final?

Anyone but the two most horrible teams in Euro rugby history. Such a final really does mark the demise of this tournament and possibly the beginning of the end for European rugby.

Horrible teams.

Are you really so blinkered and intolerant?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:45 am

GunsGerms wrote:Never has there been a final where I wanted both teams to lose so much. Sad times for Euro rugby.

The true spirit of the game in full flow!  Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:46 am

Shame they didnt just scrap the Hcup altogether the way it is going. What a joke.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:47 am

WUM
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:48 am

GunsGerms wrote:
IronMike wrote:What makes them the two most horrible teams in Euro rugby history?

Certainly not Munster and their 10 man rugby that won them their European Cups.

They are both trying to buy the trophy. For me both those teams represent the demise of what makes the Hcup great. Horrible teams that play horrible rugby. Gone are the days of teams with a strong local identity and community spirit.

Toulon have a strong local entity , one you wont find anywhere else in europe. in fact most of their players (wilco, the armitage bros) embrace the Toulon way of life and fit there allright. their fans are not plastic fans, the atmosphere is quite surreal at times.

I dont always like it but I respect it, its the way they are. if you dont like diversity , maybe stick to GAA or something. you are mixing a lot of thing here, RCT has been existing for more than a century...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

I'd actually like Toulon to win so that I can say the Blues were the only team to beat them this Heineken Cup Run 

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:50 am

whocares wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
IronMike wrote:What makes them the two most horrible teams in Euro rugby history?

They are both trying to buy the trophy. For me both those teams represent the demise of what makes the Hcup great. Horrible teams that play horrible rugby. Gone are the days of teams with a strong local identity and community spirit.

Toulon have a strong local entity , one you wont find anywhere else in europe. in fact most of their players (wilco, the armitage bros) embrace the Toulon way of life and fit there allright. their fans are not plastic fans, the atmosphere is quite surreal at times.

I dont always like it but I respect it, its the way they are.  if you dont like diversity , maybe stick to GAA or something. you are mixing a lot of thing here, RCT has been existing for more than a century...

No point trying mate.

The Trolls are out in force today I wonder where the Mods are to stamp on these Bitter guys and stop them de-railing a thread?

Last edited by Scrumpy on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:52 am

GunsGerms wrote:

Utter garbage.

Now, i'm no fan of either team, but Saracens are on fire. they play almost total rugby. The way they play for each other and the team is enviable. They've hardly lost a match in all competitions this year and it's easy (for most sensible people) to see why. They'll probably beat Toulon in the final but one thing is for sure, had Munster got through, all they'd have in their favour is a 'home' fixture, because the way Saracens are playing, they'd wipe the floor with the Munster team.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:54 am

Jimpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Utter garbage.

Now, i'm no fan of either team, but Saracens are on fire. they play almost total rugby. The way they play for each other and the team is enviable. They've hardly lost a match in all competitions this year and it's easy (for most sensible people) to see why. They'll probably beat Toulon in the final but one thing is for sure, had Munster got through, all they'd have in their favour is a 'home' fixture, because the way Saracens are playing, they'd wipe the floor with the Munster team.

Funnily enough most Munster fans would have been saying the opposite....would have been a walkover....losing to Toulon was the final..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

Lol
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

whocares wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

I dont always like it but I respect it, its the way they are.  if you dont like diversity , maybe stick to GAA or something. you are mixing a lot of thing here, RCT has been existing for more than a century...

How many Toulon players are from Toulon? I am aware of the history of the club. Its their recent history that is worrying. They also play fairly horrible rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:57 am

IronMike wrote:I'd actually like Toulon to win so that I can say the Blues were the only team to beat them this Heineken Cup Run 

Very good!

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:57 am

Jimpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Utter garbage.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Saracens in general but they are playing very well this season and they are definitely not a boring team to watch, Toulon have the players to play expansively too so it could be a great final.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:58 am

It will be, lets hope the fans turn out to watch it.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:58 am

GunsGerms wrote:
whocares wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

How many Toulon players are from Toulon? I am aware of the history of the club. Its their recent history that is worrying. They also play fairly horrible rugby.

Chiocci....er....thats about it.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:03 am

Maybe the local lads were just not good enough. Wink 

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:03 am

I am a Munster fan and I don't hate either team myself. As I said yesterday, I really want Sarries to win but also want Jonny Wilkinson winning.

Not sure about the 'horrible rugby' comments, I have seen Toulon play some breath-taking rugby and what I saw from Sarries on Saturday was brilliant. Both teams deserved of a place in the final and I will still be tuning in to watch it.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:06 am

Scrumpy wrote:Maybe the local lads were just not good enough. Wink 

Maybe Toulon's money would be better spent developing local talent rather than buying overseas players to the detirment of French and European rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:08 am

maybe from your perspective Guns. then you might stand a chance against them.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

ME-109 wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Utter garbage.

Funnily enough most Munster fans would have been saying the opposite....would have been a walkover....losing to Toulon was the final..

What do ME-109's and Munster have in common?

Both downed in flames...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

GunsGerms wrote:

Maybe Toulon's money would be better spent developing local talent rather than buying overseas players to the detirment of French and European rugby.

But you must remember that Toulon is just a City not a Province covering a large area of a Country, also it takes a few years to get an academy in place and to see the team reap the rewards of the investment into the local community, which I believe Toulon are already doing.

Stop being a bitter Wum or one of the Irish MODs will be sending you messages telling you to wind your neck in for having a different opinion!  Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:12 am

Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:I've been to a few HC Finals now and this one coming surely can't be any worse than Toulouse vs Munster, that was dull!

At least Munster is a side with top class local players and a fairly honest budget.

Like local boy Doug Howlett!  Laugh 

Doug has gone native  Wink 

There are some Irish players who could name their price in France (or England), but they turn their back on all that money to stay and play for the provinces.

Those ideals of loyalty appeal to many.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

Is the tax rate lower in Ireland so some players (Journeymen) might be better off staying in Ireland anyway, also why would some of them want to play a tough game of rugby every week when they can pick and choose their battles.

Last edited by Scrumpy on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

ME-109 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Would be interesting if you added a "none of the above" just to see what the result would be.. Whistle 

I'm sorry no Irish team got to the final  Whistle 

you're right there..rugby is the loser all round
Sarries played some excellent rugby in defence and attack. Toulon were fairly poor but you only have to beat what's in front of you. Today's game always had the look of a stodgy affair about it.

true..unless of course you have referees helping you out a fair bit.

of course the ref for the final will be interesting...i wonder who it will be
Yeah, I thought Lobbe was really unlucky to get the yellow. Murray is quite the thespian.

Strange that Zebo's try was awarded without a check too.

Wouldn't say Barnes was helping Munster but there were a few odd decisions in their favour. Luckily Jonny and Delon ensured the best team on the day won.

you are quite right Barnes was definitely not helping Munster but neither were we helping ourselves. Zebo got the ball down so no worries there.

in terms of refs it would seem sarries have certainly a few game changing decisions going in their favour. What did you think of farrells dive into chouly yesterday. No less than will greenwood said he milked that. Overall a 21 point turnaround in terms of the ref, again based on Barnes and greenwoods analysis. I wonder how mr Rolland will do in the final...

Not on any of the camera angles I saw during the replays... Luckily it had no bearing on the end result as it would have exploded in controversy if it had.

As for the Jonny v Farrell debate... the one reason I didn't want to see this line-up in the final... Media hype going to go mad. Anyone would swear they are the best fly-halfs in the world, when in reality they are an over hyped youngster who's only an international through his dad's intervention and a has-been... Its really insulting to the other 22 players per team, when its all about Jonny and Owen... See how good they are without the pack doing their job.  steam

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:17 am

When did Irish posters get so bitter?

It should be a good final.

Sarries are playing top class rugby, with guys like Goode, Farrel, Fraser, Krus, George, Wyles, Brits all either having come through their academy or playing the majority of their senior rugby for the one club.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:17 am

Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

But you must remember that Toulon is just a City not a Province covering a large area of a Country, also it takes a few years to get an academy in place and to see the team reap the rewards of the investment into the local community, which I believe Toulon are already doing.

Stop being a bitter Wum or one of the Irish MODs will be sending you messages telling you to wind your neck in for having a different opinion!  Wink 

Toulon has an urban area of just under 600K. They are not interested in using players from their academy. An ex-academy player is now with Toulouse. They prefer to stockpile players though. With the backrow talents they already have, they tried to also get Sean O'Brien & Jamie Heaslip (who turned them down because more than likely they liked to play every now and then)!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:19 am

yappysnap wrote:When did Irish posters get so bitter?

When ERC stopped helping them!

but to be fair there is a number of decent Irish posters (rugby fans) around that appreciate that this could be a cracker of a final.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:20 am

Sin é wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Toulon has an urban area of just under 600K. They are not interested in using players from their academy. An ex-academy player is now with Toulouse. They prefer to stockpile players though. With the backrow talents they already have, they tried to also get Sean O'Brien & Jamie Heaslip (who turned them down because more than likely they liked to play every now and then)!

My concern with Halfpenny going there next season... Will he get enough game time... we'll just have to wait and see..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:20 am

Not on any of the camera angles I saw during the replays... Luckily it had no bearing on the end result as it would have exploded in controversy if it had.

Was shown on TV - camera down the touchline (facing the Toulon goalline). clearly grounded.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

Sin é wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Rubbish reasoning. Lol
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:22 am

Scrumpy wrote:
yappysnap wrote:When did Irish posters get so bitter?

When ERC stopped helping them!

but to be fair there is a number of decent Irish posters (rugby fans) around that appreciate that this could be a cracker of a final.

Finals are rarely crackers. The most entertaining one was probably Leinster v Northampton a few years go. Other than that, they are generally pretty boring and rely heavily on the Sky Hype Machine.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:24 am

Thank god Munster didn't make it this year then!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

Tell me one top class 10 who doesn't/didn't have a good pack behind him?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

Also I think your estimate of Toulons population of 600k is a little off its more like 170k.  Smile 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:27 am

Scrumpy wrote:Thank god Munster didn't make it this year then!

Your right...even having Sarries pump their chant in the Millenium stadium would not have drowned out the support. Cant wait for the atmosphere at the final now ...  Tumbleweed 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:28 am

GunsGerms wrote:

appreciate your concern about french rugby...however the need to buy oversea talent (specially the one that is not concerned by international games anymore) is triggered by the fact that those teams have to play in two tough competitions while their pool of local players is relatively small (ie city ) and they get no support from the FFR. basically it is a way to compete with the big fat Irish provinces with their large player pool and local union support Wink Habana in Toulon? blame Leinster Smile

Also french teams need a bigger salary cap because they also pay more taxes than their UK and irish counterpart.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:31 am

wonder how many times, between now and the final in 4 weeks time, we are going to have to read that Saracens aren't a proper club because they dont have as many fans as the irish provinces.

Just imagine how many more times it would be if there was an irish team actually involved... Run 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

ME-109 wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Thank god Munster didn't make it this year then!

Your right...even having Sarries pump their chant in the Millenium stadium would not have drowned out the support. Cant wait for the atmosphere at the final now ...  Tumbleweed 

No doubt there will be a number of Munster fans there singing their songs as I'm sure there will be many other fans from a number of teams that want to watch two of the highest ranking teams in the NH do battle.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:37 am

Sarries are ranked 12th in Europe. In all fairness they need a fair bit of help to get to the final.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:38 am

No 9 I am sorry but it's just idiotic to call Farrell overhyped and Wilkinson a has been. It's very disrespectful. For a youngster so far Farrell has done very well in his career. Jonny Wilkinson has had a excellent career so far and it's not over yet.

Perhaps if you watched some rugby you might actually learn something.

As for Toulon - it's the lack of Frenchman in their side which is a concern plus their poor academy. At least at Saracens we have a strong English contingent, good English coaches who have come from within and an excellent academy.

I would say that Sarries do contribute to the English cause with their fair share and of course that should be the case

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

Guns germs of course the rankings should be taken really seriously! Biarritz are 5th. Cardiff are 11th.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

GunsGerms wrote:Sarries are ranked 12th in Europe. In all fairness they need a fair bit of help to get to the final.

So they are the underdogs, I'm sure neutral fans will be behind them cheering them on against the big bad Toulon.

Have you watch Sarries play?
They have been awesome over the last few weeks and are good value for money to go and watch them, their Euro ranking is also based on the fact that they haven’t been gifted a HC spot over the years unlike others who have failed miserably this year.

Last edited by Scrumpy on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

GunsGerms wrote:Sarries are ranked 12th in Europe. In all fairness they need a fair bit of help to get to the final.
not any more. that sh1t ERC rankings system no longer applies.

for a more realistic list why dont you cast your one eye over this one.

http://www.eurorugby.com/index.php

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

Pos Club Country Rating (indexed) Change

1 Saracens England 100.00 no change
2 Toulon France 96.68 up 1
3 Leinster Ireland 94.46 down 1
4 Bath England 89.68 up 1
5 Northampton Saints England 88.86 up 1
6 Munster Ireland 86.09 down 2
7 Glasgow Warriors Scotland 84.46 up 1
8 Ulster Ireland 83.74 down 1
9 ASM Clermont Auvergne France 80.80 no change
10 Racing Metro 92 France 76.55 up 1
11 Leicester Tigers England 76.27 up 1
12 Harlequins England 75.79 down 2
13 Sale Sharks England 73.73 no change
14 Toulouse France 71.85 no change
15 Montpellier France 70.49 no change
16 Castres Olympique France 69.28 no change
17 Stade Francais France 64.18 no change
18 Begles-Bordeaux France 62.36 no change
19 Ospreys Wales 61.50 no change
20 Brive France 61.44 no change

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

quinsforever wrote:wonder how many times, between now and the final in 4 weeks time, we are going to have to read that Saracens aren't a proper club because they dont have as many fans as the irish provinces.

Just imagine how many more times it would be if there was an irish team actually involved... Run 

Few clubs are able to match the support the Irish provinces get, so I wouldn't expect many to even try and match them.
What I do find surprising is that a team like Saracens can get to the final of a Heineken Cup without attracting a few bandwagoners.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:54 am

Toulon won the Reichel A (elite french U21 championship) in 2010. players like Fickou , Maestri and Bruni (all internationals) are from their academy. Before that they produced the likes of Dominici, Delaigue and Mignoni.
Their academy is not poor but still has room for improvement though.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:54 am

Knew Sarries would beat Clermont straight after the Ulster v Sarries game.

Clermont have been lucky lately at home and away they have been poor, didn't see the scoreline coming but the French were poor vs a mean in form sarries team with a  huge Defence.

But Toulon are a different kettle of fish to Clermont and have a better away record, and don't have the habit of choking.

Toulon by 10 with Giteau and S.Armitage scoring a tries for Toulon and Strettle scoring a try for Sarries.

Wilkinson will get 4 penalties missing 1 and 1 DG (also getting both conversions), Farrell will get 4 penalties and wont miss, and also 1 conversion. 

29 - 19 to Toulon.

Wink Smile

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:57 am

Irish provinces have enjoyed a hard earned period of dominance in european rugby, but now that period may well be coming to an end, just like Leicester/Wasps period a few years back.

And the end result is small but very vocal bunch of irish supporters seemingly blaming everything else for the failure of the provinces this year and proclaiming the death of euro rugby. This in turn leads to the usual English suspects getting over excited and chaos on the forum.

As for the death of euro rugby we have a final made up of the defending champions and the current top English(mostly) team, a team who have been breaking scoring records on the way. They have both earned their places.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:57 am

Why have English/French clubs got to match the support of the Irish Provinces again?

If Sarries/Toulon only bring along 5000 fans each then so what, they are in the European final.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next