The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+29
I'm never wrong
Plunky
barragan
skiddy
gaelgowfer
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
incontinentia
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
JAS
lorus59
Nay
SmithersJones
westisbest
GunsGerms
pedro
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ralphjohn69
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
Shotrock
33 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sr,
1).Correct. Wonderful is right. Though in the American order of things behind the NFL, College Football, High School Football, NBA, College B'ball.
2).Not much of a market: 21,000 per home game.
3).But no other nations pay their players a fraction of this sort of bounty. He'll probably end up using PED's, just like his predecessor as highest paid.
Ridiculous money!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 16 Dec 2014, 10:59 pm

Despicable man.
He's probably enjoying the agony of the parents of every poor child who's been slaughtered.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

Think you're stretching it kwini...

But hopefully Taleban have done themselves a disfavour by targeting children. At least it should be an eyeopener for some of their more moderate supporters (if such exist).

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 8:07 am

Shocking, what happend to those kids.

Very sad.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 17 Dec 2014, 8:21 am

These Taliban can't do anything right can they? If one of them took out Cheney, Dubya, Bliar or Rumsfeld, they'd probably get a round of applause.

Joking aside, an horrendous crime but it's incredible to realise that there is a significant number of people who are in agreement with the way these nihilistic morons think.
Hopefully, their idiocy has gone too far even for Pakistan to tolerate them anymore.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:08 pm

If anyone is interested this is a petition against the 'conscience clause' being introduced in Northern Ireland which would effectively void parts of equality laws in allowing religious people to discriminate against people whose identities clash with their religion.

https://www.change.org/p/stormont-stop-the-conscience-clause-bill?recruiter=197766151&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:31 pm

Further proof that when you go to NI you have to set your watch back 200 years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:34 pm

super_realist wrote:Further proof that when you go to NI you have to set your watch back 200 years.

I assume you signed it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:37 pm

I can't really think of a time when petitions did anything Mac.
Personally, if NI want to live in another era of idiocy, bigotry and religious nutterdom, then they are welcome to it.

I've no interest in visiting such a backward place.

I think it would be better to outlaw anything which is based on "faith" as it's nothing more than an excuse for believing in something when you have no good reason, if you had a good reason, you wouldn't need faith.

If there isn't a good reason for something, it shouldn't be protected by law.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

Super

Do we need to ban the following list of things that you believe in with no good reason.

F1 is crap
NI is a worthless place to visit
Fat people are sub human
the irish are a despicable people
Tiger woods is and was crap
Anything from your right wing world view
etc
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:44 pm

You've set him off mac Very Happy

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:45 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Do we need to ban the following list of things that you believe in with no good reason.

F1 is crap
NI is a worthless place to visit
Fat people are sub human
the irish are a despicable people
Tiger woods is and was crap
Anything from your right wing world view
etc

No, because I've got good reasons for that. F1 simply isn't competitive enough.

don't misquote me though. I've never said Fat people are sub human, they're simply lazy and gluttenous.
I've never said the Irish are despicable, I've never said 9C is/was crap, and I've never consider myself right wing, perhaps right of centre.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:48 pm

I signed it, not sure to what extent these things help, though change.org is actually pretty good at making sure their petitions get visibility, and there have certainly been examples in the past where they seem to have made a difference, so thanks for that Mac.

SR, freedom to believe in anything you want is surely one of the most important freedoms there is? I think religion is a daft concept, though you can see where it has its origins, but I will defend to my dieing days (hopefully a way off) people's right to believe in whatever they want.

The problems religion (beyond the fact that there's no evidence whatsoever for it) has are basically two-fold:

1) Religion, beyond simply being a belief system, delegates an important part to "conversion", i.e. it's not enough just for you to believe, others have to believe too.

2) This strange idea that it can't/shouldn't be criticised. Surely that right to criticise/mock people's systems of belief is also a fundamental part of free speech (I make the - IMO important - distinction between mocking someon's beliefs and mocking that person).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

Mad For Chelsea, of course, you can believe whatever you want, i've never said otherwise, but once that starts to impinge on the life of others, it has no place in any part of society, and beliefs aren't immune to criticism, and certainly don't deserve precedence over normal life situations.

All religions deserve to be exposed and ridiculed for being completely preposterous, and if you really must believe them, then they should be kept private.

Anyway, better nip this in the bud. Always ends up in trouble. I think I will sign after all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:58 pm

Super

We don't need to ban religion we just need to stop giving it passes on certain laws.

If religion can function within human rights, equality laws or any other laws of the land there should be no need to ban it. (edit: It also needs to be completely separate from all state activities and education, unless in the RME class or philosophy but certainly not used as a basis for the curriculum)

Clearly people have the right to believe whatever they want but too often that is confused with having to respect the actual belief held.  So people can hold a religious belief but they should be challenged on them at any opportunity.

Last edited by McLaren on Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:00 pm

If people want to go to church. Believe in god, thats fine with me.
Its nor me, but dont have a problem with people who do believe in that.

I know people and they dont force it on me, its a choice.
I dont agree with it being forced on people. Again the individual's choice.

I certainly dont ridicule religios people though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:01 pm

I didn't say ban it, I said it has zero rights at the point where it interferes with normal life.

I "respect" (hate that word) their right to believe whatever they like, but I certainly don't and won't respect the content of that belief.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:37 pm

Everyone should be allowed to believe in whatever they want. People should not be persecuted for their beliefs in any way, be that being Christian in Muslim countries, or be that being blacklisted or not offered support because they do not believe in any god. No one has to share in anyones beliefs, but these people do not deserve to be ridiculed or persecuted in any way.

Believe what you want but do not force it or impact it on other people.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:42 pm

Agree with most of what you say, but if someone believed in universe creating pixies, would we not think that something to be ridiculed?
I'm not sure why the ridiculousness of religious beliefs deserves a free pass or is somehow excluded if someone uses those beliefs as a way to interfere in normal peoples lives.

If they keep it to themselves, no problem, but if for example a hotel owner turns a gay couple away because being gay is in contravention of some law written in a stone age book then they deserve ridicule.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:43 pm

beninho wrote:Everyone should be allowed to believe in whatever they want. People should not be persecuted for their beliefs in any way, be that being Christian in Muslim countries, or be that being blacklisted or not offered support because they do not believe in any god. No one has to share in anyones beliefs, but these people do not deserve to be ridiculed or persecuted in any way.

Believe what you want but do not force it or impact it on other people.

Indeed, well said.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 17 Dec 2014, 1:59 pm

If someone believed in universe creating Pixies, then in all likelihood, they are suffering from some sort of mental illness, so im most cases do not deserve to be ridiculed. People believe in god/prophets or whatever, but these views and beliefs have been around for thousands of years, and get instilled in peoples psyche.

If a Hotel owner turns anyone away,for being gay/black orwhatever, then they deserve more the ridicule they deserve being charged.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:07 pm

The age of a belief doesn't make something any less ridiculous.
People used to believe the earth was flat, is that an acceptable belief simply because it's old?
Whether a belief based on no evidence is ancient or from yesterday, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Religious beliefs are just as stupid as believing in leprechauns, bigfoot, loch ness monsters, or indeed universe creating pixies and when you use those beliefs, to try and affect other peoples life, that's where you draw the line and stop giving rights for their beliefs.

Believing in anything without a reason is simply gullibility by definition, and believing in something like Universe Creating Pixies is no more gullible or stupid than, I don't know, perhaps a self resurrecting invisible jewish sky zombie?

So when someone says, "I can't let you do that because it's against my religious beliefs", then screw their beliefs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:13 am

WTF

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/30422698

Since when? I have never heard mention of this as an issue before.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 6:42 am

What I doubt about that story is that the Lowry esque figures who used to be on the golf course are now like badly packed sausages in lycra on bikes.

Golf participation has gone down, but I don't see evidence they've gone to cycling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Dec 2014, 9:19 am

Cycling has definitely had a massive increase since the Olympics, at least in the south east anyway. I guess if cycling 'participation' has increased then the people who have taken it up must have come from somewhere. A lot of them seem to be out Sunday mornings and the main other sport that happens at that time is golf (and drunk football).

I wonder how many of those converted are 'golfers' who play twice a year but do no other sport and so say they 'play golf', whereas if you play football weekly and also golf twice a year I doubt you'd have yourself down as a 'golfer'
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 9:44 am

I know people who have taken up cycling, but none of them have quit golf in order to do it.

Good to see more people cycling, better for you than Lowry type "exercise".

Interesting debate on 5live on whether being obese is a disease or gluttony.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:44 am

super_realist wrote:What I doubt about that story is that the Lowry esque figures who used to be on the golf course are now like badly packed sausages in lycra on bikes.

Golf participation has gone down, but I don't see evidence they've gone to cycling.

What would seem to be a "fact" in my region though over the last few years is that fewer people are members of golf clubs, and there are more cyclists on the roads - especially in the passive-aggressive groups that straddle one or more lane and glare when you overtake them in your car (think about it fatso, I'm not going to hold you up, but you are holding me up, ergo we are not equals in this exchange). But I agree that saying they're the same group of people is hard to prove.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

I hate the double riders where they cycle next to each other so they can have a nice little chat, and then as you say they get huffy when you try and go past them, which involves basically driving entirely on the other side of the road.
Also can't stand the ones that have the flashy front lights that essentially blind you via the mirrors. So distracting and they'd moan if you drove badly whilst dealing with a lighthouse in your wing mirror........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:51 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:What I doubt about that story is that the Lowry esque figures who used to be on the golf course are now like badly packed sausages in lycra on bikes.

What would seem to be a "fact" in my region though over the last few years is that fewer people are members of golf clubs, and there are more cyclists on the roads - especially in the passive-aggressive groups that straddle one or more lane and glare when you overtake them in your car (think about it fatso, I'm not going to hold you up, but you are holding me up, ergo we are not equals in this exchange).  But I agree that saying they're the same group of people is hard to prove.

Well said.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:51 am

Cycling is great! I cycle to work every day (about 7.5 km) and it helps keep me in good shape, as I don't really get much other excercise (I play cricket during the summer, and tend to go on long-ish walks - 2+ hours - at the week-end). Then again, I'm lucky enough to live in a cycle-friendly city (plenty of bike lanes, cars are used to sharing the road so tend to be careful, etc.).

Found the article a bit strange, as not sure what links there are between cycling and golf and this is the first I heard of it... Cycling is ridiculously easy to take up, pretty much anyone can ride a bike, and you can get perfectly serviceable second-hand bikes for not-very-much (my previous cost me a little under 100 euros - then it got nicked, unfortunately mad). Obviously if you want to take it up seriously, compete in races, etc. then it's a bit more effort, but as an easy way of keeping fit, it's great!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

I'm generally quite tolerant to cyclists. Good to see people off their backsides for once.
Wouldn't fancy cycling in Aberdeen though, the mortality rate is quite high.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

You're in Paris MFC, is that right?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:59 am

Bordeaux actually MPB. Used to live in Paris, which tended to be slightly harder for the cyclist (mostly you ended up sharing space with the buses), though apparently it's much better now.

Without wishing to ignite the debate, they're plenty of occasions where I get held up by cars in traffic jams. There's one particular street which is not really wide enough - in theory it's one-way for cars but two-way for bikes, but in practice it can get a bit of a tight squeeze... Having said that, while I don't drive, I do find cyclists who believe the whole road (and pavement) belong to them rather annoying. I actually mind less about the whole red light thingy, as quite a few red lights are actually perfectly safe for cyclists to jump through (again, in Bordeaux they've started to accomodate this with separate signs...).

The thing which annoys me most about cars is those who think the cycle lane also acts as extra parking spots, counted up to 20 parked on cycle lanes on my route to work once...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:01 am

Many cities in Europe are really well set up for cycling. Copenhagen especially.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:16 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Cycling is great! I cycle to work every day (about 7.5 km) and it helps keep me in good shape, as I don't really get much other excercise (I play cricket during the summer, and tend to go on long-ish walks - 2+ hours - at the week-end). Then again, I'm lucky enough to live in a cycle-friendly city (plenty of bike lanes, cars are used to sharing the road so tend to be careful, etc.).

Found the article a bit strange, as not sure what links there are between cycling and golf and this is the first I heard of it... Cycling is ridiculously easy to take up, pretty much anyone can ride a bike, and you can get perfectly serviceable second-hand bikes for not-very-much (my previous cost me a little under 100 euros - then it got nicked, unfortunately mad). Obviously if you want to take it up seriously, compete in races, etc. then it's a bit more effort, but as an easy way of keeping fit, it's great!

In Ireland all bikes up to the value of €1000 are half price through work. We have a tax free scheme called the cycle to work scheme where you pay for whatever bike you want through your work and it comes out of your wages minus a tax break which roughly works out at half the price of the bike. you can update it every 4 years. It has worked really well as it has massively boosted the numbers of people cycling to work.

We also have the Dublin bikes scheme which is the same as London's Boris bikes. These schemes are great and have come a long way since trailblazer cities like Copenhagen tried them out in the 90s. Back then you just slipped a Krone in a slot and the bike released ala a shopping trolly. It was a quite a trusting system.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:20 am

I think the Cycle to Work scheme is UK wide.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:23 am

super_realist wrote:I think the Cycle to Work scheme is UK wide.

Didnt realise you had it in the UK too. Does it have the same terms? How much can you spend on the bike and how often can you buy a new one?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:25 am

I think it's exactly the same as far as I can remember, never bought one because my current bike is nice enough and I was a contractor at the time. Comes around every spring for about 8 weeks I think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:26 am

It is a great system anyway. I have bought two bikes on it. Love cycling.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:33 am

Yeah, really good system, and good for business to with it supporting lots of bike shops.
I walk to work myself because it's too dangerous to cycle here. Makes a positive difference to have that fresh air for a couple of miles there and back every day.
Shame more people don't even think about leaving the car at home.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:40 am

I used to cycle a lot, had a racer which was quite uncomfortable on the whole.

I used to cycle to work but don't anymore due to the homocidal nature of many motorists.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

...and not forgetting how bad it is for your prostate gland!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:48 am

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:I think the Cycle to Work scheme is UK wide.

Didnt realise you had it in the UK too. Does it have the same terms? How much can you spend on the bike and how often can you buy a new one?

UK wide indeed. Essentially your employer can buy you a bike and there's no taxable benefit on you.
In terms of tax it's not much use as there is a bit of admin and the cost of that outweighs the tax saving really. For that reason it's not been massively taken up. Still a good idea though
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

Ever seen someone hit themselves with a shot?

https://twitter.com/LukeKerrDineen/status/545568223379599361
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30525539

Sorry to see that you will be facing some austere times super. I can PM you if you need a charitable offer for your "luxury" car to help keep things ticking over?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

McLaren wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30525539

Sorry to see that you will be facing some austere times super.  I can PM you if you need a charitable offer for your "luxury" car to help keep things ticking over?

It is indeed grim Mac, although oil prices were as low as $10 per barrel in the 90's, so there's obviously some sensationalism and journalistic licence going on there.

No one in my business expects it to be an easy ride, there are ups and there are downs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Super

Thankfully food banks are on the rise so you are unlikely to go too hungry.

Can anyone remember what current oil prices did to salmond's calculations? I assume the new scotland would be bankrupt already?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:16 pm

Mac, Salmond's calculations were based on a figure of $120 a barrel if I remember. I don't think it's been at that level ever for more than a couple of weeks before settling.

The whole point of Salmond's argument (at whatever price) was already doomed.
In 2013 (average $100 per barrel) the industry supplied just 5bn to the exchequer for all UK oil and Gas revenue. If it was Scotland alone, it would be about £4bn, e.g. about £800 quid per person per year. Hardly something which was ever going to fund the Indy's mad plans.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm

The Wealdstone Raider.
What a man. very funny video.

I see there is a rap video that is expexted to be no 1 with him in it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 18 Dec 2014, 6:12 pm

The Wealdstone Raider. Obviously a prat of epic proportions. Really shouldn't be funny but really is
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 18 Dec 2014, 6:14 pm

Nice tweet from the Links Trust

Spoiler:

A map of the old courses route circa 1821, when it was still played in reverse.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next